Speaker 1: You're listen Saints KFI AM six forty the Bill handles show on demand on the iheartradiop and this is KFI AM six forty Bill Handle here Taco Tuesday, August twenty seven, and it is as always at eight o'clock with Rich.
Speaker 2: It is time for Tech Tuesday. Rich good morning, Hey, good morning you Bill, good morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we get started, I have to tell everybody that Rich has heard every Saturday eleven am to two pm. He's host of Rich on Tech on KFI. He's also you can follow him on Instagram at rich on Tech website, Richontech dot TV. And I have my contract in front of me. Let me see you anything.
Speaker 2: Yep, I did it all.
Speaker 3: Yay, yay.
Speaker 1: You great negotiator with you you handle has to say this stuff all right, Lots stuff going on and I want to share it with you.
Speaker 2: First of all, we've.
Speaker 1: Got the Apple iPhone event that's set for September ninth, and they do their own thing always, and the anticipation is always pretty enormous, or maybe not anymore, because do you expect anything new?
Speaker 2: Is oras? It's all incremental that has been for the last few years.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's been incremental, but this season there actually is a renewed interest in smartphones because of AI, and so we have seen due to upgrades that Samsung has done extremely well with their new phones Pixel It's too early to tell, but the reviews are excellent, including mine of the Pixel nine. And now Apple they're doing something unique with their AI. They are only making it available on the iPhone fifteen Pro models and up So what that means is that a lot of people that are going to start seeing everyone talking about the AI features if they have an old phone, they are not able to access those, so they're going to want to upgrade to the iPhone sixteen model to get that. And Apple is I think the best positioned both from a loyalty standpoint and a fomo standpoint where people are going to want to upgrade this year. So it is exciting from those aspects.
Speaker 1: You know, I love Apple and their business model, and that is they'll come out with a new model had whatever feature, and the moment you buy it, it becomes obsolete when the new one comes out a year from now with new features. And for example, the charging cord, you have to use theirs and it what they get away with is just astounding. Now do you remember when Apple came out with the iPhone? I mean, that was that was extraordinarily a game changer across the world.
Speaker 2: Has there been anything like that since?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I think, I you know, look, I think, and I have to take a little bit of you know, I take a little issue with the saying that the phone is obsolete, because that's really not true anymore. I mean, you're talking where when this when this new iPhone comes out, iOS eighteen is also going to come out, and that's the new software for the iPhones.
Speaker 4: Okay, they are going.
Speaker 3: To support all the way back to iPhone ten R, which was launched in twenty eighteen. So you know, you're talking, that's a pretty decent span for a phone. Let's let me let me make sure my math is right on that. Let's see yeah, September twelfth, twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: All right, let me rephrase that, because you're right, not obsolete, because people do have older phones that still work.
Speaker 2: Older phones mean being two months old, three months old.
Speaker 1: The second you buy the phone, they already have in mind the upgrade phone next year or two years from now.
Speaker 2: Is that legitimate to say?
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, and I here here's what I think.
Speaker 4: Here's how I'll.
Speaker 3: Frame it, Bill, and I think you're onto something. I think Apple is amazing at mark marketing to you, the person who just bought a brand new phone, why you need a new one? I think that's really what it comes down to is even though your phone is perfectly fine, and like I'm saying, the phone from twenty eighteen is still going to be supported with software updates this year, you still want a new phone because of that idea that there's something that this new phone does that yours doesn't.
Speaker 4: Now is it going to do Is it going to be faster? Absolutely? Is the camera going to be better? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Do ninety nine point nine percent of people have a phone in their pocket that works just fine for calls and texting. Probably, But you know, there is this idea that you see this this unwavering marketing everywhere from Apple, and it just goes to drive home that message that you need a new phone every single year when the new one comes out, that's I will give you that.
Speaker 2: Are they as profitable as they have been in the past.
Speaker 3: I think the iPhone sales have been slipping just a little bit, and Apple is realizing that they can't bet their entire future on the iPhone because while it's still a very good thing for them, their services, which is the money people pay to store things in iCloud and all that other stuff that happens there, that is the growth area for Apple, which is just completely wild.
Speaker 4: They call it. They call it services.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course they do.
Speaker 1: In my world, the only person I know that uses Android one person of all the people I know is my daughter, one of my daughters. Everybody else, everybody else I know uses iPhones, and based on my experience, I would think that iPhones just kick the crap out of everybody else.
Speaker 2: But I guess market wise maybe not.
Speaker 3: Well in the US. I mean, it depends where you're looking worldwide. You know, Android obviously has a larger market share. Here in Los Angeles, it seems like the market share is huge for Apple, and that of course has to do with the entertainment industry and creative professionals. They really gravitate towards the iPhone, and just in my experience, I will tell you when I look around, yeah, i'd say that eighty percent of the phones I see our iPhone. And yes, there are some Androids out there, but a lot of that is iPhone has had a consistent message for many years, and they also control the phone from the start to finish, the software, the hardware, every aspect of it. The marketing and the carriers are largely hands off, and so is third party stuff. With Android, it's very different. You can pick a different pair of headphones, you can pick a different phone, you can pick a different software.
Speaker 4: It's much more customizable.
Speaker 3: And so people that are, you know, gravitate towards their kind of running their.
Speaker 4: Own way have always liked Android.
Speaker 3: But I see it I've coming together a little bit more now where people I think, especially with iOS eighteen and the messaging situation getting cleaned up, I think people are going to feel a lot more secure in having an Android because they can message with an iPhone and it's going to be just fine.
Speaker 1: Pavel d'uov one of the most interesting guys out there, not that tech people aren't interesting, but he sort of takes it to a new level.
Speaker 2: And he founded Telegram.
Speaker 1: The app, and he was just arrested, and so let's talk about that, because what a story that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty wild. I mean I use Telegram on a daily basis. I know a lot of tech folks that use Telegram. It's you know, it's kind of an alternative to Facebook, Messenger or Signal or WhatsApp, but it's big. It's big in various countries across the world. And one of the things people like about it is that it is easy to use, it's free, and it works across borders. But this CEO of Telegram, Pavel Durov, this is a Russian born guy. He was arrested in France and basically the French authorities are saying that things happen on Telegram and Telegram does nothing to stop it. There's no moderation whatsoever. So we're talking money laundering, we're talking potential violations of encryption and cryptography laws, gang activity, criminal organization, pornography, narcotics, pretty much anything that people might want to do on a platform that's unrestricted. They say this happens on Telegram. Now that's not to say that a lot of good stuff doesn't happen there. But the problem is they want this moderated, and Telegram says no, no, no free speech, and we can't moderate this because we're not a social media platform. We are a messaging platform. And tell you that's where we stand.
Speaker 2: What is it now? Describe in detail what a messaging platform.
Speaker 3: Is, Well, it's like I message. So imagine if you know, an Apple actually you know, came under fire for wanting to scan people's messages for you know, child pornography because they said, hell, wait, hold on, why is Apple get access to our messages? And so they actually pulled back on their plans to do that. But the reality is private messaging. Messaging is only getting more private. Companies like Apple are making it more private. WhatsApp end to end encryption That means that nobody, including the company that makes these apps, can read your messages. And the ironic part is that Telegram is actually not end to end encrypted by default, which means theoretically they could look at the messages that you are exchanging on that platform. So it's a really interesting wide web here. But it all comes down to I guess, encryption and privacy.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: So that's the difference between Telegram and the other apps. So otherwise they're basically all the same the messaging, it's just the controls of the app with people using it.
Speaker 2: Do I have that right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It's like how much how far do they go to kind of moderate what people are doing on this app.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting, Elon Musk is backing a California AI safety bill, and you would think he would be the last one to do that.
Speaker 2: So let's get into that for a second.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting. You know, I just finished reading the Walter Isaacson biography of Elon Musk, and you know, it's it's interesting how Elon actually has a lot of hesitations about AI and he's very worried about it, and and this is this kind of goes along with that because California is trying to vote in this AI safety bill, which basically requires companies that are doing big AI kind of instances like open Ai and Anthropic and all these different companies like Meta to test their models before they're released, and also include a kill switch so if something goes wrong, they can actually just shut the whole thing down instantly, and they also would have to report to the state yearly, you know, with like kind of just make sure everything's good and up on the up and up. A lot of major companies, as you might imagine, Google, Meta, Open Ai, they all oppose this because they say no, no, no, hold on, you know, we want unfettered access to AI. We want to launch this stuff fast, and we don't want to fall behind other countries, including China that might leap frog ahead of us if we start putting roadblocks in front of our AI. And the only two people that are big that are in favor of this right now are Elon Musk and the folks behind Claude, which is anthropic. That's the company that I actually prefer for my AI bill. Meanwhile, on my radio show over the weekend, we interviewed a guy named Max Tegmark. He is a he's a big AI futurist, he's an MIT professor, and he actually said on the show that he is very, very worried about AI and he feels like California has taken the first step to sort of create an FDA to regulate AI with this bill, similar to how we regulate drug safety.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Rich this Saturday from eleven to two with his show following probably the best show on KFI, probably in Los Angeles, probably in the country, maybe the world, and possibly intergalactically.
Speaker 2: And that's handle on the law.
Speaker 4: Rich.
Speaker 2: Now, I will we'll talk.
Speaker 1: I listen to you Saturday morning, eleven to two, eleven to two here at rich on Tech Instagram, rich on Tech dot TV website, So a lot of places to get hold of Rich all.
Speaker 2: Right, have a good one.
Speaker 1: I'll catch you over the weekend. Take care, rich Bill all right, I have a question.
Speaker 2: This has to do with going to school.
Speaker 1: Most of us have gone to school, particularly elementary school, and they say junior high. So what's going on. Let me tell you what the law is right now. And that is particular.
Speaker 2: This is in public schools.
Speaker 1: Under California law, a teacher if he or she is being assaulted by a student, say student hits the teacher, the teacher must call the police under law, and if not, they actually can be prosecuted. So there's a bill going on right now in the Assembly that changes all that and says no teacher makes the call. And it has to do with teachers, and proponents of the bill saying.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute.
Speaker 1: If the teachers can make the call, then the teachers can deal with students that, for example, are acting out. Now I love this. If a student hits a teacher. There are people that say that's normal behavior for teenagers. You go, wait a minute, that's normal behavior. And this has to.
Speaker 2: Do with inner city schools.
Speaker 1: Of course it does, and statistics are that kids or inner city schools are arrested more often with the cops showing up, and that means when you're arrested more often. This is statistics, okay, because it follows and it makes sense. Kids who are arrested do worse in high school, They don't finish, they don't do as well in life. And I think they've got it a little bit wrong because they're saying the problem is calling the cops. Teachers should be able to deal with problem students and make the decision. Now, the problem is not calling the cops. The problem is why do the teachers call the cops. So, if I get this straight, the stat is that when the cops are called, when law enforcement is called in under any circumstances, not just assault, a kid acts out to the point where it gets ridiculous and has to be removed, and you've got security offers. They have to come in school security officers, throw them out, arrest them. Possibly it's we've got to give a rehabilitative a position here.
Speaker 2: We've got to help those kids, and we cannot call the police. That's the problem because under law, they.
Speaker 1: Have to be called and you go, wait a minute, Okay. Number one is I'd really like to go why this happens? Why does a teacher? Why must a teacher call the cops? Well, because if a kid starts pummeling a teacher, you think there's more than just a behavior problem here. Do you know when we went to school and Neil point this out. When we went to school, the thought of some kid hitting a teacher was just beyond comprehension.
Speaker 2: How does a kid hit a teacher? Well, we'll assault. It's a crime. Yeah, it is a crime.
Speaker 1: But the point is what this bill is saying that it's the teacher that makes the call, not an undoes the law that says the teacher must call the police. And that is the difference because those that are proponents of the bill says, we have to look at it way differently. We have to look into the behavior problems. We have to look into why the student is doing this. We have to go deeper because look at the students where the cops are called, they do have behavior issues. They do come from families that are broken up. They do come from families that are not only broken but poor and sometimes homeless, and so of course the kid is going to act out, so let's deal with that. Well, law enforcement is going crazy, saying what are you talking about. You know, you can figure out later whether the kid needs help, doesn't need help, probably does, and you can set up all the programs. But in the meantime, he hits a teacher and we're going to arrest him for assault. Teachers have no leeway, and this bill says teachers have a lot of leeway or yeah, this new bill, and it is.
Speaker 2: It's actually pretty controversial.
Speaker 1: There was there's a teacher who was interviewed Zobema Basqueda.
Speaker 2: First year, she had a choice. She had students.
Speaker 1: One of her students difficulty controlling emotions, and one day the student had a melt down and kicked Bascua Daniel down, and the principal asked Busca Daniel, do you want me to call the police? And it counted as an assault, but the principal realized, we have.
Speaker 2: To call the police now.
Speaker 1: The kid had moved in with her family after being in and out of foster care, beginning to the process for her disability, been working with the teacher for coping mechanisms, and part of it is the kids started hitting the teacher actually the point where the teacher went down, And Basquanato said, the problem is not the hitting. The problem is where did the hitting come from? And there it goes. That is your typical And I don't even know if they're really connected. I guess in one sense it's looking on either side of the coin. Assault is assault is assault Now under the new law, if a student is selling drugs, must call the cops.
Speaker 2: If a student has a weapon, must call the cops. That doesn't change.
Speaker 1: But the rest of it doesn't matter how far the kid acts out, even to the point of beating up a teacher, The teacher has a call, has the call to make.
Speaker 5: Is doesn't that add more problems? Bill in consistency? I mean, isn't because what if one is so severe they feel the need to call the cops and that person, Susan says, they are separating me.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and that's and that that is a very good argument. I haven't. I didn't think about that.
Speaker 1: And the argument is, well, uh, and more minorities are have the cops called on them, and more minorities are affected by the police arrest of them, and therefore, any law that discriminates and that's in quotes minorities. Okay, Well, when you look at broken homes, when you look at people who don't have money and have a rough time at home, if they have a home, it happens more with people who don't in the inner.
Speaker 2: City, it does. I mean that's the reality.
Speaker 1: And I think people have to be treated in terms of the police differently. They have to be given more programs because they need them. I'm fine with that. More money has to be invested in inner city schools in terms of helping students. But man, you got to treat everybody the same when they're act and I mean disrupting a class and beating up kids and beating up a teacher.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know if you've ever been to some of the iconic eateries in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Philip's Guile Guitesca that I don't even know. How's that pronounced? Well, yeah, I have no idea how it's pronounced.
Speaker 5: So Hawkin Restaurant on Olympic I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've never been to it.
Speaker 1: Pinks, certainly, it's a terrific restaurant.
Speaker 2: Okay, Musso and Frank certainly.
Speaker 1: So. I've been to most of those and also Langers Langers Delicatessen in or at MacArthur Park.
Speaker 2: And here is the issue.
Speaker 1: It is truly one of the most iconic eateries in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: It is wonderful. It's a deli.
Speaker 1: It's been around since nineteen forty seven. I have eaten there several times.
Speaker 2: I love the food. I will not go near MacArthur Park.
Speaker 1: And the owner is saying that's the problem because MacArthur Park basically has become one of the sketchiest and has for years and years, the sketchiest, most dangerous places you can go.
Speaker 2: The lake at MacArthur Park.
Speaker 1: That's fun when they clean it and dredge it up every couple of years.
Speaker 2: Because of the body and the body.
Speaker 1: Parts that are in it, as well as all the garbage they pull out, the place is a god awful mess. The drug dealing that goes on across the street from Langers right there, I mean you can see drug dealers and the homeless people and the trash. It's just it is horrific. And here's why Norm Langer is saying, I'm going to shut it down. City won't do jack about it. We need better lighting, we need better security, we need law enforcement showing up. They have to clean the place up, and the city, well, according to normal Langer doesn't do it. And it's not just a restaurant deciding to close down.
Speaker 2: This is Langers.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is, you know, one of the best known delis, and it's known nationally.
Speaker 2: There's just certain things or the.
Speaker 1: Carnegie Delly, for example in New York shut down, by the way, that's gone, Lindy's.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Linday is still around in New York.
Speaker 1: I mean most of them have shut down because I think people were having a tough time paying seventy three dollars for a Postrami sandwich New York.
Speaker 2: It is kind of nuts. So he is saying, the city doesn't clean this up. I am gone.
Speaker 1: Even the subway station, the MacArthur Park subway station, the crime and the drugs there, it is dicey just getting into it. Alley's Boy neighborhood alleys. According to normal Langer, and this is true, you see bodies on top of each other, completely passed out.
Speaker 2: You can smell the fentanyl.
Speaker 1: Now, I didn't know that fentanyl smells a certain way, but he says, and others have said you can actually smell tell the stuff. There's a fog of everyone smoking. They're walking around like the zombies. So it's what he is is challenging the city. You know, how important, how important is Langer's Deli? And the city has to decide do we spend the money or do we not? But then what neighborhood does it not spend the money? That's the problem. Municipalities never have enough money. All right, guys, we are completely done and coming up its handle on the law, marginal legal advice off the air, and there are no commercials, there are no breaks, there's no news or traffic.
Speaker 2: It's just me and you.
Speaker 1: So it's no news, no breaks, no patience on my part, so as you can imagine, we go through it pretty quickly. Also inviting you to listen to my new podcast which drops, well it'll drop at nine o'clock in just a few minutes every Tuesday and Thursday, new episode on Spotify, Apple, iHeart and other places where you hear podcasts. And today's podcast is all about dogs. You have a dog, I have a dog. We go back to when man first started domesticating dogs, or the other way around. I mean it goes back far enough where people had dogs and the people were walking on their knuckles and not.
Speaker 2: Having any clothes.
Speaker 1: So the history of us having dogs is it's really extraordinary. So the number to call eight seven seven, five to zero eleven fifty eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty Back we come again tomorrow, Amy with wake up call from five to six, and then she joins me and Neil for the morning show. I say, guys, we're done, catch you tomorrow. This is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the handle A show.
Speaker 1: Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app