Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Globe Life Field is where the Rangers played, but the Dodgers made it their house in twenty twenty and Mookie Betts won the World Series championship and owned Globe Life Field to help the Dodgers back then, and Mookie joins us on the opposite side of the dugout. I know you were here a couple of years ago, but what's the feelings coming back here again? You know?
Speaker 3: I think every time I come into this park that situation in life, COVID and that month that we spent here. I mean we were here for literally a month straight. You know, it just reminds you of obviously what we accomplished, the one in the World Series, but you know, it's just something that in life, you know, go and stay in a hotel for a month and just life experiences that you know, you never you'll never forget.
Speaker 2: For sure, you didn't know me that well back then, But did you realize I was staying at this Lowe's hotel for a month and I was in the radio booth the whole time.
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 3: I didn't think I was oblivious everything. I mean, they kept us from every every day. I don't even did we even see you?
Speaker 2: Never saw me.
Speaker 1: I don't even think we even saw you.
Speaker 3: So you know, it was it was fun, but it wasn't fun. But you know the most important thing is we.
Speaker 2: Wont One thing that I always remember about that postseason run. Obviously you had a big hit in Game six of the World Series, but those amazing catches and the emotion you showed in right field, just the defensive highlights to me stand out more than anything offensively you guys did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I always, as they always say it every sport defense wins championships. But yeah, that's that's one thing I definitely remember. I remember, you know, down the right for a lot. I know people can't see, but my wife was always down there every game with the kid, with my daughter at the time, and I remember just looking in between pitches looking at her and we were just kind of doing our little sign language through pretty much every game, and that was she kind of kept me calm, and you know, especially during those war serious games because they were you know, we were going back and forth, and I mean it was just a lot, you know, in winning the World Series, it's hard to do. And I'll never forget her just standing and saying right there and me just looking at her between every pitch.
Speaker 2: Now, you're a proud papa of too. How are the kids and how do they make your life that much better?
Speaker 3: They My son's birthday is today, so we got this you little brext with him and now I'm at work, but he's with his fans, with his grandparents and whatnot, hanging out.
Speaker 1: You know. They they make it.
Speaker 3: They make it to where you have something to look forward to, you know, especially when I'm done playing. You know, each and every day you wake up, there's something.
Speaker 1: To do with them, something new that they can learn and whatnot.
Speaker 3: And obviously I'm in the middle of my grind right now, so it's kind of hard.
Speaker 1: To do both. But the time that I don't get to spend right here, right here, right now would them.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely looking forward to it, because I mean, we don't play this game for so so for that long, but they grow up for a long time. So that's that's kind of what I'm looking forward to right now.
Speaker 2: Your daughter has your smile, Yeah, thank you out there.
Speaker 3: She's a she's a work of art man.
Speaker 1: She she loves dancing and all the other things.
Speaker 3: Actually it's really neat having a daughter, just because I'm only child. Obviously being a boy and coming from a sports family. My daughter is like anti sports, So, you know, me learning.
Speaker 1: About how to play, how to play.
Speaker 3: Dolls and dance class and all those other things actually is really neat and fascinating. It's a new world that I've never experienced, and now that I'm kind of going through it, I have a new appreciation when I see dancers or cheerleaders and all those supper things because my daughter wants to do that.
Speaker 1: Girl.
Speaker 2: Dad. Mookie Betts is our guest here in the house that him Seeger and Jock made famous. Mookie, now you're playing shortstop. You put in so much work this off season and continue to do so. Where would you ass says where you're at right now?
Speaker 1: I think I'm doing okay. You know, I've had a couple of errors early.
Speaker 3: You know, it's hard to say, you know, that's part of the game when I work so hard and whatnot, because I'm not really accepting of you know, that's part of the game.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, at the end of the day, it is, and so I need to be accepting of failures that happened, but you know it's.
Speaker 3: I genuinely love coming to work like it's just coming to work and going to working short like it's just actual fun for me, Like I would just wake up out of bed just to like how people go play golf. That's how I feel about coming to to to practice at shortstop it. So it's definitely, uh, I'm not saying a new or a new light or whatnot, but different energy for me, and I truly loved it.
Speaker 1: It's been fun.
Speaker 3: It's hard, it's really hard, but it's I'm catching myself now during games asking Tommy in months, like what do I do here? Because some of these situations I've never been in, and so you know, just being in him, you know, have to kind of talk through it as you go because there's so many different things that kind of go on, and so, you know, it's been fun. I know I have a lot more experience to go, but it's been fun so far.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought up Tommy Edmund. How much does he help you because he seems to be one of the smartest, most underrated players on the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is, I mean smartest, I mean one of the smartest obviously one of.
Speaker 1: The most talented.
Speaker 3: Whether you believe it or not, you know he is, and you know, he's really been someone I can talk to.
Speaker 1: Is really easy to talk to because I.
Speaker 3: Can go ask him a dumb question and he's not gonna look at me and like, why did you ask me that?
Speaker 1: Or you're supposed to know that?
Speaker 3: Like he literally will just tell me if it's a pretty simple answer. He just says it simply. He doesn't try and be a little me or or and nobody does. But definitely Tommy, you know, he just he's really easy for you to talk to and ask those those questions that I probably should know as a major league shortstop, but I don't because I haven't been. And so you know, he's he's definitely been there for me the whole time. I mean, hitting, fielding everything. You know, he's he's He's awesome.
Speaker 1: So is Mookie Bets.
Speaker 2: You're an easy gutta root for. La loves you, and man, you are doing something that no major league player has ever done, and it feels like you're doing it better than most could even come close to. So we're on the ride with you and just keep going every day.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, have you been You've been good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything's good, you know, hitting the streets in Dallas. I'm trying to stay out of trouble.
Speaker 3: Mookie.
Speaker 1: What did you do yesterday?
Speaker 2: I went to a fancy dinner with your clubhouse staff.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, did you pay?
Speaker 2: Of course I did. There's some I'll let you in on a secret. Some of your staff when the check comes, they all of a sudden have to go to the bathroom or there. Their arms are really short.
Speaker 1: It's weird. But not you that. You're not that kind of guy, not that long arms.
Speaker 2: I got a long, long reach. I'm a guy that like you. I'm a pleaser, so I'm trying to please everybody.
Speaker 1: That's why I love you asked exactly all right?
Speaker 2: I need to buy one of these necklaces you're selling online to buy I got you.
Speaker 1: I make sure I bring one. You're you're a part of the La squad. Oh I love make sure I bring you one. We'll get back home.
Speaker 2: Love it, Mookie. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to share you with the people in La. And this is the house the Dodgers built, make no mistake about it.
Speaker 1: You better know it. You better know it.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Ass