Speaker 1: The first weekend of official business was successful for Raging Cagen's Football as they add some commitments to the twenty twenty seven class. Let's break it all down here on Raging Rundown. What's good, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to another episode of Raging Rundown, the show where you will know all things ul sports. I'm your guy, JaMarcus Fitzpatrick, but you know you can always call me fits. And in today's episode, we'll be talking about the commitments that Raging Cajun Football has received to their twenty twenty seven class, as well as a pair of bullpen arms that Raging Cagen's Baseball has added to their team for next season. So, as we've talked about in previous episodes, we can which you can go and check that out. This past weekend or I guess the past couple of days has been the first official weekend of official visits for Rage Incag's Football. They have a couple of weekend schedule. I have some names listed down of what those guys will be for the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: But as it stood, you.
Speaker 1: Had seven players to come in and have official visits this past weekend, you had Summer Creek dB Caleb White, Very Day wide receiver Robert Taylor University lab d Lyman Mason Smith, Saint Edge Jock Robischow, Shadow Creek tight end Bryce Coleman STM safety Landon or t And then I was recently told while I was posting about it that PJ. Mackeon Junior was also on an official visit there as well this past weekend. But you were extremely successful because you got three players to commit while they were on their official visits. One actually just announcing right after I started recording this episode, So I initially had it as football gets a pair of commitments, and I just had to change into football gets commitments after official visits.
Speaker 2: I'm probably going to be checking my.
Speaker 1: Phone as I'm recording this episode to make sure nobody else comes back and circles back and announced their commitment as well. So we'll start with the initial guy that announced his commitment, which was a defensive lineman, Mason Smith, the university high defensive lineman. For him, he was initially offered back on June fifteenth of last year, so this is a year in the making process of getting him to commit to your program. If I'm assuming what happened is that he went to a prospect camp. They are holding prospect camps right now for the twenty eighth class. He probably went to a prospect camp. They liked what they saw, they gave him an offer. He was the third school that he received an offer from. And in the process, now you're beating out the likes of Southern miss Liberty, TWU Lane, South Alabama, and Arkansas State. So all very linear schools in terms of the level that you're competing against. You beat them out to be able to get this commitment. Obviously, he was a player that was on an official visit this weekend. He is listed as a three star. He's the thirty eighth best player in the state according to twenty four to seven Sports, and it's the second rank defensive lineman in the state of Louisiana. So you're getting a really talented player standing at six foot three, two hundred and eighty pounds. If I'm not mistaken, let me go back to his Twitter account just so I can confirm that six foot three, two hundred and eighty pounds and runs of five flats in the forty and he also plays baseball as a first baseman. So he's got some athleticism to him. If I had to guess, he's probably going to be more of an interior defensive lineman, something like what we see with Fitzgerald West and Maxie Bodwin, players of that caliber. So adding him to the mix is really big for you because we know that the defensive line plays in a forty on set, but they don't just play with four guys. They like to rotate as many guys as possible. So adding someone young to the group is someone we could potentially see him slowly working his way in through special teams, maybe getting a rapper to here and there, and eventually becoming a guy that helps you to be able to win ball games on Saturdays. So kudos to him for announcing his commitment. I reached out to him to see what went into his decision. I have not heard back from him just yet, but once I do hear something, I'll either talk about it at on my day job at KTC, or I'll talk about it here on the pod. The next player that announced his commitment was Landon or Ti, who is a local product. So he is staying at home and coming up in a situation for you where you identified him as somebody that you wanted very quickly, and he committed very quickly. He received his offer on May the fourth. He had other offers from the likes of Nichols Incarnate Word in Northwestern State so FCS school. So this is his biggest offer that he head up until this point. You got him on an official visit and he commits. Getting the footprint of a local product, in my opinion, is always going to be really big because obviously the majority of this team's roster is comprised of guys in the state of Louisiana. But there's nothing better than being able to get a local guy. And like we've talked about before on this podcast, it's not that they don't recruit local guys. But when you think about some of the guys that are in this same class, you think of brayln Cale, you think of Kuran Eugene, you think of you know, so many other guys that are in this twenty twenty seventh class.
Speaker 2: They're receiving powerful offers.
Speaker 1: So once you kind of get outbitted in a sense, it's not that you're giving up, it's just that you know you're probably not gonna get them. You still cultivate that relationship in case he goes somewhere and it doesn't work out there and he wants to transfer back home. Like what we saw with Walker Howard, what we saw with Fitzgerald West. We've seen it time and time again. The guys will go to bigger schools, it doesn't work out out there for them, and they come back because they have great relationships with your coaching staff. So you still want to recruit the kid. It's just ultimately sometimes you're not in the ballpark to be able to land the commitment, but you land a commitment with him. This past season, he played in twelve games. He was first team All District and also All stayed for the LFCA, which I think is the Louisiana Football Coaches Association. If I'm remembering right off the top of my head, six for two, one hundred and ninety pounds As a safety, he had two interceptions, ten pass breakups, one hundred and twenty two tackles, forty eight of them being solo. So he really has a nose for the football. And if I had to guess, he would probably be kind of that secondary safety that's near near the box in the Cajun's defensive scheme when they go in the four to two five set, because they're based out of a four to three, but when they take one linebacker out and they put an extra safety in based on those type of tackling numbers, that's probably going to be the type of safety that he would be in this particular ski. So you get a guy that is a local product to commit to your school after getting a extended an offer to him very early and being able to make that happen, that's really huge. So I asked him what went into his decision, and he said, the overall staff and how everybody treated you good from the second that you were in the building. So I'm probably going to try to talk to him in person to get a little bit more insight about what went into his decision and how the visit as a whole went. So that's another commitment. Kudos to him for making his decision to become a Raging Cajun that you add to the class as well. And the last commitment that Football received as of today and he announced it probably within the last hour is Summer Creek dB Caleb White. We talked about him in a previous episode that he is a cornerback and as I'm looking up some information about him as well, his father is Reggie White, a running back that played in the NFL. Not the great defensive lineman that we all know and love as well, but his dad also did play in the NFL. He originally went to Oklahoma State and was undrafted in two thousand and one. Spent a couple of years in the league. So he has a football pedigree and background and knows what it takes to get to that type of level because he has that example right there in his household. He originally received his offer from the Cajuns back in March. That was his twelfth offer, so he is a hot commodity. Getting him to commit to you. You beat out the likes of Apps State in Texas State, North Texas, Duke Texas el Passle, which actually has an official visit set with him for next weekend. So it'll be interesting to see if he will still go on that visit if he will cancel it. I have not heard from him just yet about what that decision will entel. But winning these type of recruiting battles is really important, you know, with college football twenty six or twenty five and now twenty seven. Coming out, we saw a lot of that usage happening in recruiting battles where you're going head to head with different schools, and when they are on the same level as you, or they're comparable with the same type of school as you are, it's really big when you're able to win these recruiting battles bring guys into your program when they're quality players. He is five to ten, one hundred and seventy one pounds. This past season as a corner, he only had seventeen targets his way. He allowed just two catches the entire season, no touchdowns, five interceptions, with one of them being a pick six. He had ten pass breakups, two tackles for loss in twenty one tackles. So he's not a guy that's gonna come up and make a whole lot of tackles for you. He's gonna come down and shut down one side of the field for you, which is really really big in your defense. Right, you have a Brent Gordon Junior, who's a man and man type of corner on one side. You have an Avery Demrie, you have a Jeremiah Moses, so you have a lot of cornerbacks that can play in pressman situations. It appears that that's gonna be the type of corner that this young man can be for you as well. I mean, he kind of has that that Eric Gearer type build in the sense of what he is, and who knows, maybe he could materialize and become something like that too, especially when it comes to the return game. So you add three commits from this class after going through your first weekend of official visits. So now you are up to nine players in this class and they are as follows. Shallow Creek tight end Bryce Coleman, who was also on an official visit this past weekend. A Oyls defensive lineman Kobe Smith. He'll be in town next weekend. This coming weekend. That is Faraday wide receiver Rob Taylor. He was on a visit this weekend. Westbrook quarterback Tam Anderson. He will be on a visit next weekend. Angleton offensive lineman Noah ERNs next weekend. Black Man and wide receiver John Walker. University lab defensive lineman Mason Smith, lend Nor Ti, and Caleb White are all a part of your class. So now things are coming even more closer to form your one commitment away from having double digit commits here in the twenty twenty seven class, and the work is just continuing to go along, right. You get guys in, you get commitments very early, and now the thing is being able to hold the rope, as we always say, because as these guys continue to play through their senior seasons, somebody can see them and can offer them, and they can blow up and become a four star, even a five star.
Speaker 2: We've seen things like this happen overnight.
Speaker 1: You think about a guy like a Marquez Davis, who's a Northwest product here in Opelousis. You will originally offer him, he gets an offer from Lane Kiffin, goes on an official visit, and now he's projected to commit to the Tigers. So that's not to say that this could happen, that this will happen, but it's a possibility that it always could happen. So the Cajuns are going to have to hold the rope with these nine commits. Continue to cultivate these relationships. Let these young men know, hey, we want you to be a part of our program and if you come here, you will be a part of something building something special.
Speaker 2: Towards the future. So you're up to.
Speaker 1: Nine commits here in your twenty twenty seven class. You'll have, i believe, two more weekends coming up with the official visits that you have going on. But football was not the only program that received some commitments, as we also saw baseball get a pair of commitments. And they are coming from a familiar place in the Sun Belt, and they have a lot of familiarity with your coaching staff as well. We'll discuss all of those things, what they will bring to the table, and who they are when we come back here on Rage and Rundown. Hey, guys, thank you so much for tuning in to another episode of Raging Rundown. We're going to get back into the action in just a second, but before we do, please do me a favorite. If you're watching this on YouTube, please like the video, share it, and leave a comment down below. But most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review because that'll help us get in front of more Raging Cajun fans like yourself. So, as I mentioned before the break, Raging Cagen's Baseball also received a pair of commitments from guys out of the transfer portal. We've talked about some of the junior college guys, the high school signees that they've already added as commits. Now they're working through the portal, and coach Matt Diggs talked about it after they're lost to Mississippi State how he felt that if he could add some strong arms to the bullpen that he already has, that this team could be in line for having a goal of hosting a regional in twenty twenty seven. So they're one step closer to that as they get commitments from two pictures that are transferring from Marshall, which is the place that pitching coach Taylor Sanderford came from, so they are very familiar with your pitching coach, which is a huge positive to what you're having building in your program. The first picture is Blaine Albright. He is a lefty. He has two more years of eligibility. He stands at six foot three, he's two hundred and twenty five pounds. He originally signed with Indiana and red shirted that first year in Bloomington and then transferred to Marshall and played there for two seasons in his first season with the Herd, he was one to oher. He had a four to twenty four ERA and seventeen appearances, gave up fourteen hits, five walks, struck out twenty and seventeen innings, and his opponents only hit a two to twelve batting average against him. But then coach Sanderford obviously last season leaves and things didn't go as well for Albright. He was one for three. He had a seven point nine to two ERA over fourteen outings, including four starts and twenty five innings. He allowed thirty hits, twenty five walks, and struck out twenty three. He talked about in an article with Kevin Foote that he was struggling with a pulled hamstring in his first outing of the season and things kind of went downhill from there with him. But he talked about how much he appreciated coach Sanderford just as the coach that he truly is. And I reached out to him and asked him what went into his decision, and he said, coach Sanderford playing and simple played under him and Marshall and he's the best.
Speaker 2: Coach I've ever had.
Speaker 1: So you have a guy on your staff that has cultivated a relationship well enough, and that's that's going to be a key component to a lot of your recruiting battles, is that if you build great relationships and it's bigger than the sport with a lot of these guys and these coaches, it makes them want to play for you. I've been around enough of these programs at UEL that I hear that as a common theme that these guys really care. It's not just a business here. They truly genuinely care about you as a player and a person rather than just you being you know, an X or O on the on the field or whatever the competition state of where you're at. And I think that is truly important because that is what is going to matter most when things are hard in games and guys are not things are not going their way in different games, They're gonna play for you because they know you care about them. And so this is an example of that. Getting the commitment from him, and then he also got a commitment from Charlie Crabs, who also was at Marshall. He is a senior and this will be his last season coming in to twenty twenty seven. He's six foot two, two hundred and fifteen pounds, and he was under coach Sanderford for two seasons before obviously Sandy came to UL this past year. In twenty twenty five, he was five and two with a two to ninety two ERA in twenty seven outings for the thunder and heard he gave up thirty six hits in fifty two and a third innings with twenty four walks and forty strikeouts. And this past season, Crabs was two and three with three saves and a six point zero eight ERA in twenty four appearances in forty innings. He surrendered forty five hits, twenty three walks, and struck out thirty eight. So again he talked about how much he cares about coach Sandford and if I can go and pull that DM up of where I reached out to him, because I'm also reading from the article that Kevin put Kevin foot excuse me put out talking about the two commitments with the Advocate, I asked him what went into his decision as well. He said, getting back with coach Sanderford was a huge part of it. But during my recruiting process, I just started to fall in love with the Cajun's winning culture and especially what Coach Diggs preaches to the program. So another component about this that I haven't talked about. Neither one of these guys took a visit, None of them have. Neither one of them have come to Lafayette just quite yet. They'll be here later, probably in the back half of June to take their official visits. They are committing off of the strength of Coach Sanderford and off the relationship they have cultivated with him and what they believe can happen based on what Coach Diggs has told them through conversations. And that is paramount because you can wow people with glitz and glam, and you can show them great facilities and uniforms, and you can give them an NIO check and all of these things like that. But when guys are willing to commit to you off the strength of hey, man, I care about you as a person and I want you to be great in life, you can't beat that. So you get two bullpen arms. You get two arms added to your bullpen. That is one being a very experienced writy I believe Charlie krabs Is and then Blaine Albright having two years of eligibility, somebody that can help you as well with what you already have on your staff. The ty Romans that saw your Cruits, the Parker Smith's, the Hayden Pearson's, the cam Riley's, the Landing Victorians, like you're adding a ple tour of guys to give you an opportunity to be really, really special in twenty twenty seven. If I'm not mistaken, I think I have a sheet pulled up where you guys know I like to do rock layouts, and I can see it fully and I think I did when I know I have one for football, because that's what's coming up on my sheets guide. Let me see I did do one for baseball. So right now, out of your bullpen, based on what we've heard of guys returning and the commitments that you have you currently have, I think this is sixteen pitchers, Ty Rowman, Garrett Carter, cam Riley, Parker Smith, Hayden Pearson, saw your Pruett, Chase Morgan, potentially Geral Tilett, land In, Victorian Bryce Wilson, Evan Vincent from Turlin's Catholic Trent Lape. I'm trying to remember how to pronounce his name. Correctly, but he's the BIBSI transfer coming in David and Kubat, Maddix, Sullivan, Charlie Cribs, and Blaine Albright. I think that is sixteen pitchers that you have in your bullpen, and what I've been told is they could be adding more out of the transfer portal. They're looking to add a catcher and maybe some infielder or outfielder as well. As the portal window will be said to close on June thirtieth.
Speaker 2: It's June the.
Speaker 1: Seventh as of now, so they have plenty of time to work through those things to see what guys they want to add to their program. So it was a very eventful week, a big week for the Raging Cajun's football and baseball programs as football gets three commitments and now gets their twenty twenty seven class up to nine players. Baseball adds a pair of arms to the bullpen as well. So that's going to wrap up this episode here on Rage and Rundown. If you've made it to this point in the video, thank you so much. Please do me a favor, like it, share it, and leave a comment down below. The most importantly, make sure you subscribe to the channel. If you're listening, follow the podcast feed, rate the show, and leave us a review, because that's going to help us get in front of more raging Cajun fans. Just like yourself, I'm your guy, jam Marcus Fitzpatrick. We'll see you guys next time.