Speaker 1: In the name of good versus evil. There are countless cases out there that highlight what humans are truly capable of. One such case is our subject today. The Pettit family were an honest, hard working family, but would eventually fall victim to two individuals who were born into cruel circumstances. Together, these two decided they were going to pray on the more fortunate than them, and slowly their desire for causing harm became more satiable, until one horrible event left one member of the Pettit family wishing they had done more to stop the violence as they grieved over the death of all their loved ones. This is the brutal and infamous case known as the Shechesher Murders.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingrim.
Speaker 1: A true crime podcast.
Speaker 2: Following material more mature audience listener.
Speaker 1: So, I just spilled coffee all over my lap and I just did it again. Okay, this this is not something to pour from very I've done it before on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I don't know. I love you to just like wipe it on your pants.
Speaker 1: Well, there, there's already coffee on them, and they're just like ratty jeans. It's just going to add to the the hipster used feel of them, you know what I mean? Yes, they're worth more money.
Speaker 2: Now instead of an opening beer where poor coffee?
Speaker 1: Hey are we are?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: I mean, this case has been I just dropped my towent them. This case has been something that's taking me a long time to research. It's there's a lot to it. So this is going to be a two parter because of that. I was hoping to cram it all into one episode last night and finish it off, but I'm just I can't do it. I can't keep it into one episode.
Speaker 2: So well, yeah, sometimes it's it doesn't do the case justice either, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's exactly why I'm splitting it up, because if I were to just put it into one I would be missing so much.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, I'm listening to a case right now that's like literally thirteen parts.
Speaker 1: Damn, who's covering that?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: Do you can you remember?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, it's I think it's like thirteen hours or I don't even know what the heck. I think it's global I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's more like a DoD docu series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of, but because I'm going to be covering this podcast. But I'm like, I'm like, I'm but just doing this podcast in one episode? So am I doing an injustice? But like, there's just there's just so much more they're diving into, you know that we normally wouldn't so well.
Speaker 1: I mean, there you can do those deep dives, but a lot of those the time, you are covering a lot of minute information that's not necessary or repetitive information.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I've been noticing too. They're mentioning things a few times and I'm like, I've heard SORR ready.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but this one, there's just a long linear story that goes along with it. So we're going to start off. We won't talk a whole lot on this beginning intro, we'll just get right into this episode, but I will tell you that we are going to be kind of starting off introducing to the family and then introducing the perpetrators and kind of building up to what led to the event itself. And I do think a lot of that is really important to understand what happened and why it happened in this case, and it's really unfortunate that it played out the way that it did.
Speaker 2: But yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 1: Know this was one that's been on my radar for a while. This is a more popular case. A lot of you out there probably already know of this one. But yeah, we're gonna we're gonna do this. You ready, Yeah, yeah, you've heard of this one, right, the Sheesher Family Murders.
Speaker 2: I have, But I don't think I've ever like looked into it or listened to a podcast or anything on it, So gotcha. I mean, probably mostly new for me too.
Speaker 1: Well, I do know, like originally why it caught my attention was the name the Schescher Murders, Sheesher Family murders, because the Cheshier cat right from Alice Wonderland. Yeah, it has nothing to do with Alice Wonderland or the Sheesher Cat. It just happens to take place in some city or town called Cheshire.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's no affiliation, just heads up with that. There's no double entendra planned words or anything, just simply that's the town.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's dive into this. The Pettitt family is where we're gonna start. So the Pettitt family was a close knit family of four made up of the father, doctor William Pettitt, his wife, the mother, Jennifer Hawke Pettit, and their two daughters, Hayley and mike Ella. Now there were they were a well respected family. They were honest, loving family who lived in a modest, modest life. Right, And of course where do you think they lived in Cheshire?
Speaker 2: How do you say it's Chesherchescher?
Speaker 1: Well, I've heard too pronouncements pronunciations for Cheshire or Shechesherer. So either way, I'll probably be flip flopping throughout this because yeah, I think Cheshier is going to be how I'll say it, but I might, I might stray a little bit, but yeah, it's it's Chesher, New Haven County and Connecticut, USA. Now, by all accounts, the Petits were fairly normal, blending into their middle middle kind of class neighborhood. You know, a simple two story home at three hundred Sagham Mill Drive. Now, I do want to highlight the fact that I did say it's a middle class neighborhood. It's a simple two story home, but it's probably a little bit nicer than you're imagining. Think like you know, the house from from Home alone, kind of like that. But a little bit smaller. So it's like, that's that's a fucking nice house. Yeah, quite nice, modest home. But I mean being that, for example, the father was a doctor. They definitely did have some extra income, but they they lived modest for for their their their life that they did lead.
Speaker 2: So there's nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 1: I feel like, no, no, not at all.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people think they need this mansion of a house to look like they're successful.
Speaker 1: No, they definitely had a nice house. They could have had nicer for sure. Yeah, but they definitely they had a nice house, but it was it was fairly modest for them. It's totally fine, right, Yeah, And I am highlighting this because it is actually an important part of this story. Okay, So now, doctor William Pettitt, who was fifty years old, was an endocrinologist, which means that he specialized in diabetes and metabolic disorders. So a lot of times she's helping diagnose and treat people with those sort of diseases. He was also a very well regarded individual in his field and was known for his compassionate care towards his patient He really took care when dealing with them outside of work. Though he was also a very dedicated husband and father who deeply involved himself in his daughter's lives and their activities. His wife, Jennifer Hawk Pettitt, who was forty eight years old, was a nurse and a co director of the health Center at the Cheshire Academy, which is a private boarding school. Now, she was very kind and deeply get dedicated to her family as well and the community, actively participating in local charitable organizations and community events, even despite living with the diagnosis of MS or multiple sclerosis. So that is something that many people do suffer with and it is a deteriorate of type disease. So she was dealing with that and she's still making sure that she's out there not only with the family but in the community doing which you can really impressive.
Speaker 2: Good for her.
Speaker 1: Now, their oldest daughter, Haley Pettitt, was seventeen years old and she was an intelligent and very ambitious young woman. She was a top student at Miss Porter School, a prestigious girls prep school where she excelled academically and athletically alike. Now, though she was preparing to attend the private Ivy League Research University of Dartmouth in Hanover, New Hampshire, during her upcoming fall semester, so she was just graduating from that prep school and was soon going to be attending Dartmouth. Hailey was passionate about helping others and actively involved in fundraising for multiple sclerosis research. As we obviously know, it's something that's near and dear to her family.
Speaker 2: Right, this family seems terrific.
Speaker 1: They seem like they are like Hollywood picture perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, like I'm already kind of obsessed with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, as such, it isn't surprising to learn that she was planning to follow interference footsteps in the medical field as well. Now, I'm not too sure which career she planned on going. Whether it was nursing, whether it was doctor, whether it was research, I don't know, but she was planning to target that medical field one way, shape or form. Now, Mikela Pettitt, who was eleven years old, the youngest daughter, who was affectionately known as KK or KK Rosebud by her family. I don't know what the nickname where it comes from. It seems to be a very private kind of nickname. In any article where it was referenced, it was simply just referencing her as such, and there was no ever explanation given.
Speaker 2: Well, it's freaking adorable, I know, kk rosebud oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah. She was a bright and vibrant young girl. She attended the Chase Coligate School, where she was known for her kindness and enthusiasm for learning. Now, Mikela also had a budding passion for cooking, enjoying time in the kitchen with her mother and also tending the garden that they had where she was able to grow fresh ingredients to actually you know, go from like farm to table sort of thing, learn the whole process.
Speaker 2: So at eleven, that's really awesome.
Speaker 1: At eleven, I have a feeling that she was going to be diving into a cooking field in her future for sure. Now together, the family shared a very close bond, as their home in Sheeshire, Connecticut was a place of warmth, love and laughter. However, the events that would soon unfold within the happy home that the Petits had built would soon have locals in utter disbelief and calling the event the Sheesher nine eleven. Now, I do want to highlight this, though their intent is not to compare the incident with nine to eleven or take awareness away from those atrocities that took place in New York City that day. Their intent is simply to put words into just how shocking it was for them to feel this happened so close to home in Cheshire. For them, it felt like nine to eleven had just happened. Okay, But just before we get into that horrific crime, the one that occurred on July twenty third, two thousand and seven, we need to first take a look at the individuals who go on to commit the brutal axe. So he just introduced to the Pettitt family. Now we're going to introduce you to Joshua Andrew Comitzcavari. Now, Joshua was born on August tenth, nineteen eighty in Cheshire, Connecticut, and he entered the world to a young mother and a father who was barely out of his teens, and I believe the mother was only sixteen years old herself. As such, he was a put up for adoption and was adopted at about two weeks old by Benedict and June Commits Kavari, which is where he would eventually get his last name. Now, the former being the son of a renowned a theatrical a theatrical. I can't say the word theater director, there we go. Theatrical is a word trying to say.
Speaker 2: I thought that was what it was.
Speaker 1: But theatrical director Theodore Commitscavari and dancer Ernest Stotle. Now, Joshua's early life was fraught with difficulties. In the early nineteen nineties, his sister actually accused him of sexual assault, an allegation that led to his conviction. Now, during his trial in the penalty phase, his father actually admitted that the accusations were more than likely true.
Speaker 2: Oh No.
Speaker 1: Academically and socially, Joshua struggled significantly as he grew older. His adoptive parents, who held strong religious belief often sought thought sorry, sought solutions. That's almost a tongue twister. There. Often sought solutions through their faith rather than through physiological counseling or medication, sorry, psychological counseling, which they basically flat out distrusted. So their trust relied heavily on spiritual with their religion rather than actually seeking a doctor. And though I'm not going to say, you know, one is better than the other, or one is going to work and one isn't going to I think certainly one needs to explore both paths. If you do believe in one, then I think you need to make sure that you should maybe you know, at times look at the other as well. Yeah, and I think Joshua definitely needed the latter in his life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds that way for sure. Now.
Speaker 1: Joshua's criminal activities began at the young age of fourteen, when he committed his first burglary. Now by two thousand and two, he had been arrested for a total of eighteen home invasions. Day his defense attorney noted that Joshua could recall every single detail of his crimes with remarkable precision. Wow, I can't remember. I think it's called a nidetic memory. I don't know if he's actually been like diagnosed with it. I don't know if it diagnoses the right word, But I don't know if he has actually been said to specifically have it. But he's definitely showing signs of it because he was able to identify the exact amounts of money he would steal in the exact denominations from the specific houses, on the specific dates, even the locations in the homes where he found it. He found it in a wallet. He was able to tell you the type of genes the wallet was in. With the wallet was like every fucking detail. He was able to shit relive those things.
Speaker 2: I can't remember shit, So that's like.
Speaker 1: I know, wow, yeah, so it's incredible here an incredible mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but imagine how much is space that's taking up too? And there you know, Oh that's overwhelming too.
Speaker 1: With an incredible mind, generally, you also encounter incredible troubles and I think that's what Joshua was experiencing. He had a lot of troubled things going on in his head along with these gifts or curses. I'm sure you could attribute them either way.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because that just made me think too, Like lots of times people who say are in school or whatever and they're not being challenged, they like end up getting in trouble or something, right, because like, with a mind like that, I think you have to be chat you have to challenge, have some sort of challenge that will like I'm describing this terribly, but you know.
Speaker 1: You occupy it yea, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: They keep your mind occupied.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because we're watching I don't know if anyone else there has actually seen this series of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Shameless, literally thinking of that one too.
Speaker 1: So there's a character called Lip where in high school he just didn't even have to try. So he was getting into so much trouble because he didn't have to try it all. He didn't wasn't challenged, and then they're they're a bit of an impoverished family. So he managed to get a full ride scholarship through college, and he goes to college and all of a sudden, he's not smart anymore.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he has to put some effort in, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And as soon as he has to try and apply himself, he changes. It's like he's not like this bad kid roaming the streets getting into shit anymore. I mean, of course he's doing the odds ends here, but it's the same sort of story. When you don't apply yourself, you get bored and you look to do something entertain yourself or challenge yourself. And I think that's a big thing for Joshua is maybe not he wasn't being challenged, but there was things going on in his head that he was trying to at least occupy for sure. Now, Joshua did admit to his attorney after robbing these houses that he would often watch the occupants as they slept as well, finding satisfaction in violating their sense of security. That which, I think, to me, takes us right back to what we were talking about. I think he's occupying his mind with like, I can do these things and there's nothing you can do about it. And also the ability to just watch someone's sleep and the calmness that might have come over is so full mind with all these details and things in his head.
Speaker 2: I guess. But God, that's just.
Speaker 1: It's disturbing as fuck. But I think for him it was basically zen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes sense actually now.
Speaker 1: Sometimes he would actually break in, specifically, not even to steal anything, as simply to experience this thrill of invading someone's home. He would often even rearrange items in unsettling ways, you know, put something here.
Speaker 2: And over there, and to play with their mind, just to.
Speaker 1: Play with their minds when they woke up in the morning and say, I don't know, plant is from their living room is now in the middle of their dining room table. I don't know if he did that. That's just a sporadic yeah thing I threw out there. But as an example, what the fuck would be someone's first hot when they woke up in.
Speaker 2: The morning, right, no kidding, Yeah, it would. It would like that would just fuck with you for weeks, probably, oh probably, fund if you're like sleepwalking or what's going on for life?
Speaker 1: I would be on my deathbed remember that fucking time that plant just appeared in the middle of the table.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that would drive me. It would drive the nuts.
Speaker 1: I would not I would one hundred percent go insane. Yeah. So yeah, that's kind of what Joshua was doing. And in December of two thousand and two, he was finally convicted on twelve counts of burglary and was sentenced to nine years in prison. Judge James bent Of again, I'm pretty sure I got the name as close I'm gonna get it, but I'm gonna try it again. Bent Vigana Vegna bent Of Vegna, there we go described him during the sentencing as calculated, cold blooded predator. Oh wow, yes, and I do think that is a very good description, especially the calculated part.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Okay, but so at this like, at this point he has what he's being charged with, his break and enters. Well, he did have the oh, for his sister.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, but now it's just the the twelve counts of burglary, okay, yeah, And he was sentenced to nine years in prison, but it would be five years later in two thousand and seven when Joshua was paroled and after his release, he stayed in the Suliman Halfway House and it would be there that he would eventually meet an individual by the name of Hayes.
Speaker 2: Gosh, five years does not seem like enough time to change your ways, eh.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, if for burglary, hey maybe maybe, I guess, for if you're doing something a little bit like more like murder, yeah, fuck no. So I don't know. I don't know if I really know enough to make a comment on that, because I think I think someone could actually rebilitate themselves. But I think it's going to be circumstantial per.
Speaker 2: Poah, that's true. But I mean, gosh, from nine to five years, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Well regardless, though, Hayes was an individual who was born by the name of Stephen Joseph Hayes, but they Hayes, but they now go by the name of Linda Hayes. And for the purpose of the story, I will be referring to them by their last name, Hayes, And for the record, I found conflicting reports on their now chosen identifying gender and could not find solid confirmation on what their gender identification is now, So I'm going to be doing my best to use they them and just refer to them as their last name. So Hayes's early life was was marred by significant dysfunction and abuse. Raised in a household where physical and sexual abuse were unfortunately relatively common, Hayes struggled from a young age. They first faced legal trouble as an adult in nineteen eighty at the age of sixteen, and we're paroled in eighteen sorry, nineteen eighty two, and Hayes violated that parole conditions within seven weeks, so it didn't take long. And over the years, Hayes began dealing in substance abuse as well, and was arrested nearly a total of thirty times, spending majority of this period behind bars. Holy shit, and much like Joshua, Hayes had a lust for theft, often done in order to help support their life of drug use, and in two thousand and four, Hayes was arrested for smashing a car window with a rock and stealing a woman's purse from inside the vehicle. By two thousand and six, Hayes found themselves on parole and was sent to the Silamon Halfway House, which is where they crossed paths with.
Speaker 2: Joshua gosh At thirty times, you feel like there's just got to be something that kind of keeps you in jail a little bit longer to kind of get your shit together, because that is just such a waste of resources to do. Hey.
Speaker 1: Well, and there's a difference between committing a crime thirty times and being arrested thirty times, because don't get me wrong, they're both fucking bad. But if you do a burglary thirty times in a row, you're only going to be like, hey, you know, I can keep doing this. I'm getting away with it. You get cocky, and then you finally get caught and it's like, okay, reality checks in. You get arrested. Yeah, you can't do that anymore. You now have a criminal record, clean yourself up, right. Yeah, But it's like, hey, I do a crime. Oh shit, now I'm behind bars. Hey I do a crime, and I'm back behind bars. Hey I do another crime and I'm back behind bars. You do that thirty fucking times, Clearly you're not reforming yourself, right.
Speaker 2: Well, and there could be it could be doing two crimes and then back in jail exact rhymes, right, So it's probably more than thirty.
Speaker 1: Crimes one hundred percent going to jail thirty times versus committing a crime thirty times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a difference, for sure, there is.
Speaker 1: Like I said, they're both bad, but that going to jail thirty times, that shows you do not give a fuck. You are not going to be reformed. I do not think that someone like that should be out on the fucking street. Yeah, I do think that there should be a cap if you're arrested X amount of times. I don't know how many it should be. There clearly should be some some legislation written about it, and not just some podcast dude making up a number on the spot. But let's just say it's fucking ten for the sake of the conversation. You go to jail ten times, you should serve life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, because clearly, like you have a pattern, you know it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Again, yeap. But then that comes into play with, you know, overpopulated prisons, and so it does get complicated and muddy, so I understand. But yeah, still, anyways, now that they're in this halfway house together, both Joshua and Hayes, almost immediately they became close friends and they shared in their troubled history, right, a bit of a difficult upbringing, and specifically they share the love for robbery. Now it's tragic to think, but this specific meeting between these two individuals would ultimately set the stage for the horrific events that would soon take place in Cheshire. And that is not where we're ending today. We are going to keep contelling I just wanted to fuck with you for a quick second. It worked good. So from two thousand and six to two thousand and seven, this is kind of when they had met up and were kind of getting involved with each other, and this duo, this newly formed duo of Hayes and Joshua, involved themselves in a new series of break and enters together.
Speaker 2: Well while living in the halfway house.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if they were still living in the halfway house. To be honest, I know they met in the halfway house. They could still be living in it. One could be in it, one could be out. I'm not sure. But if they were in the halfway house, they were clearly going to be breaking curfews, that's for sure. But so we digress on that. But they were now together and they were doing this series of break ins, and being the older of the two Hayes forty four and Joshua twenty six, Hayes took a bit of a leadership role in their partnership and showed Joshua how to actually how lucrative robbery could be as a business.
Speaker 2: Quote, business has a business. I was curious their ages because I felt like there would be quite a gap there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, hayeses forty four and Joshua is twenty six. So for Joshua many times, it wasn't about the money breaking and entering. It was the thrill that we kind of talked about earlier. But if they could capitalize a bit more on it and make some money along the way, hey why not. So Joshua was totally in for this idea, and it's not like it was a foreign concept from him for him either to be actually stealing when he's in there. It's just it wasn't the always the prime thing he was going for now a slept they're breaking and enters would begin to develop a specific pattern. Under this newly formed business plan if you again, business plan right, they began focusing their attention on gaining access to nicer homes, often choosing those and with residents who were either away or asleep. Now, Joshua had gained expertise in silently entering home specifically since he, like you know, had this desire to be there with the residents watch them sleep. So he kind of got that like cat burglar type vibe about him, and he was able to actually manage the initial break ins, while Hayes was the one who stood back and watched to ensure the coast was clear, basically being the lookout. Okay, then Hayes would be you know, given a signal of sort and Joshua would let him into the home alongside him. Now, this strategy followed them to move through targeted properties, and it made them very efficient along the way, like a well oiled machine. And this with each successful break in, their confidence, of course, grew. Just as we were talking earlier, you could commit one crime and arrested it after you know, thirty times you get cocky, you get more confident along the way, That's exactly what's happening here. They began selecting more luxurious homes that promised higher rewards, that took greater risk in term of day, the time of day, and length of time that they spent inside. And they quickly got good. They were practicing and became increasingly proficient and executing their operations with each successful break in. So by now the confidence of the duo was reaching a new height, and it would be on July twenty second, two thousand and seven the Pettit family would enter the picture. So on this day, Jennifer had went out and taken her daughter Mikella to the stop and Shop grocery store in Cheshire. They were out doing a typical air and run getting some groceries. However, it wasn't just an erin run. Mikella was, as I already mentioned, developing a passion for cooking in culinary skills. Going to the grocery store with her mom was also an experience to learn about new ingredients and expand her cooking knowledge. And for Jennifer it was a chance to take a mundane task and turn it into something special. For her and her daughter together.
Speaker 2: I just love that so much.
Speaker 1: As they walked the aisles, checking off items on their lists and exploring everything the store had to offer, they were unaware that a pair of eyes was watching them. Joshua just so happened to also be at the store and spotted the mother and daughter duo. Now it's not clear to me which Joshua was doing at the store, whether he was a lookout trying to find a target or someone, or he too was just shopping for someone, But either way, when he saw Jennifer and Mikela, he knew that they fit the demographic that they were after for targeting homes and individuals. Shit Their clothes, the way they held themselves, the items that they were purchasing to all together told Joshua that this family was wealthy enough to target, so he began to tail them through the store, then through the register to pay, and eventually to the parking lot and even all the way to their home.
Speaker 2: Really, hey, gosh, okay, that seems like a little bit of a new level. Yeah, uh okay.
Speaker 1: Joshua made note of what their home looked like, their neighborhood and what kind of place it was, and of course, it was sure to be filled with things good enough for them to steal. He quickly reported it to Haze, and the two of them began making their plan, intending to tie up the family and steal any valuables that they had inside. At around three am the next morning, the pair broke into the home. They made their way through an unlocked basement door, and they then through the house in the darkness, and it didn't take long before they found doctor William Pettitt asleep in the sun room where he had fallen asleep reading the paper. Joshua grabbed a nearby baseball bat and didn't hesitate as he quickly raised it overhead and began to pummel the sleeping doctor Pettit with the bat, he struck him repeatedly, over over, multiple times in the head. These blows left him with a bleeding wound gash across his head, several bruises. His eyes were now swelling shut, making it difficult for him to see or defend against any of the assailants that were now present in the darkness. To make matters worse, doctor Pettitt was on blood thinners, specifically one name Komadin. It was for an irregular heartbeat, which only made his situation worse as he was now beginning to face serious blood loss from the attack.
Speaker 2: What the fuck this is escalated right like big time? They were never harming the homeowners and shit were they?
Speaker 1: Nope? Not before?
Speaker 2: What the actual fuck? And who was doing that? Who was with the bat?
Speaker 1: Josha, this was Joshua?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Wow. Now I do know Joshua initially grabbed the bat and was beating doctor Pettitt with it, But I'm not saying that Hayes was not also beating him. But I do know that the bat was very prevalent in this and they were both involved in the assault.
Speaker 2: Complete pieces of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Joshua and Hayes now with the beaten doctor Pettitt, bound him with zip ties and drug him into the basement of the house where they first entered. Once they had him secured in the basement, they strapped him to a support pole, and Joshua and Hayes proceeded back upstairs in the search for the rest of the family. They slowly made their way down the halls in the darkness to the master bedroom, where Jennifer and her young daughter Mikella were asleep together while the two laid their sleeping, Joshua and Hayes attacked, and with Jennifer's multiple sclerosis, she was easily overwhelmed and had her hands and feet tied together and a pillowcase placed over her head. Young eleven year old Mikella was no different. She too was also bound just like her mother. The two men quickly moved on through the house to ensure that there was everything secured and ready to go, and that's when they found Haley Pettit, the seventeen year old daughter, in her bedroom. She too had her hands and feet tied and a pillowcase placed over her head. And now with the entire family secured, they made their way through the house looking for whatever they could steal, primarily looking for money and of course, doctor Pettitt in the basement hearing his family being attacked and his house being ransacked above him. Unfortunately, neither Hayes or Joshua really found anything that they were hoping for. There wasn't a whole lot of valuables in the house. There wasn't a bunch of cash. As I mentioned, the family, though well off, lived a very modest life. They did, however, discover some personal documents that indicated Jennifer had over thirty thousand dollars sitting in a bank account. This was it, This was the big score. They wanted. Each break and enter that they made was leading up to this. They just needed to get it from the bank. So they decided they would force Jennifer to make a way withdrawal from the bank. They went through the house to ensure everyone knew what was at stake. No one was to make a move or else they would face the end of a gun, which I'm not sure that they even had, but either way, we do know that they're capable of assault and had a baseball bat at least in hand. Jennifer, of course was terrified, but it was only money. If it meant draining the bank account to ensure that their family was safe, she had no problem complying with the demands. Between Joshua and Hayes, they made the plan that Hayes would drive Jennifer to the bank and ensure that the withdrawals of the money was successful, while Joshua stayed at the house to ensure nobody else caused problems. So at approximately nine am on July twenty third, two thousand and six, Hayes took Jennifer in the vehicle down to the Bank of America and this is where we will leave things till next episode.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, the fuck. I'm just like pissed over here. This is just horrible, this perfect little family. Yes, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Wow, Cliffhanger, Hey, dunt dunt dun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to be asking some questions.
Speaker 1: Well, ask do you have any questions right now?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, I need to know what the fuck happens.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll see if I can subtly answer anything without giving anything away. At the same time, if you have questions, I mean, if you're like who survived, like I.
Speaker 2: Can't, Like, I know, you know, my questions are like that. So, oh my gosh, I'm just like devastated right now.
Speaker 1: This makes me ill. Actually it does ill. They specifically targeted the family for who they were.
Speaker 2: And I just I can't comprehend either why it escalated so much to this extent, Like it just seems so it just seems so random to me.
Speaker 1: I know, well, their intent was not, as far as I'm aware, to enter the home and beat victims, but that's the first thing they did. Their intent to bind them to tie them up, So I'm assuming that.
Speaker 2: They probably woke up or something.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think they woke up, because they found them, then grabbed the bat and then went to them. I think they looked at doctor Pettitt and they were concerned that, you know, he could put up a fight and things could go south, so they decided to incapacitate him to some way, shape or form before binding him.
Speaker 2: Jeez, oh my gosh. Now we just get deliver a day knowing that people are just complete garbage.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think we already knew.
Speaker 2: That we did, but it's just like a fucking weekly reminder.
Speaker 1: Well, it's in the fucking name of this part, I know, like wicked and grim. It's literally because people are wicked and they do grim shit. Yeah, but that's what our fucking name means. If you guys didn't put that together.
Speaker 2: Before, now you know, I'm also like, gosh, lock your doors, but they would have still found a way to get in regardless of it a basement door was unlocked or not.
Speaker 1: They would have They won hundred percent, would have. Yeah, because they were not only skilled, they were going to be determined.
Speaker 2: Hm. I just get so pissed too when it it almost it's also too like when people happen just to be in the wrong place at the wrong time as well.
Speaker 1: Yep, grocery shopping, like just.
Speaker 2: Like the tiniest decision in your day could lead to this, right, Like that is just such bullshit. It's just so disgusting and disturbing and anyway, yeah, can you tell that I'm.
Speaker 1: A little pissed a little bit. The nice thing is, though, you don't have to wait a week, You just have to wait till Tuesday.
Speaker 2: That's very nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, so there that's a bonus.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so Tuesday will cover the rest of this case. Hopefully by then Nicole has calmed down a little bit and she's not going to like seemingly assault me here.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I think you're safe, you think see you think she was not. I mean, it's not but.
Speaker 1: Exactly nine that I'm going to be assaulted or not assaulted.
Speaker 2: That you're ninety nine percent safe. That's still not not enough for you.
Speaker 1: No, it's still concerning. Wow. All right, So thank you for being here. You guys are incredible. You guys keep the show going. So if you guys want to check out things like our Patreon link. We have it down below. We also have tickets if you're local for our two hundredth episode, which is going to be recorded live. If you're not local, you can actually see the live stream of it on our Patreon if you remember there. Yeah, I'm not going to do a whole big spiel. Links are in the description.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It all gives a rating if you'd like, we appreciate, We appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Did you know that this whole episode, I've been kind of being able to pet a dog with my foot.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm aware of that.
Speaker 2: It's that nice.
Speaker 1: Nice because Ripley got up and walked over like right at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Pretty much. Yeah, I've loved it. Okay, I mean, she's our emotional therapy dog.
Speaker 1: Social she is, she really is, so.
Speaker 2: Okay, So until.
Speaker 1: Tuesday, Until Tuesday, we hope that you guys can hang on till then, and until
Speaker 2: Then, stay wicked