Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I Am six forty. The bill handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f It is a Tuesday Morning, January twenty eight. Since it's Tuesday, it's a Tech Tuesday with Rich Demurrow, who has heard every Saturday here on KFI eleven am to two pm. He's the kt He's also the KTLA everyday tech reporter. Rich on Instagram at Rich on tech website, richon tech dot TV Morning Rich, Rich?
Speaker 2: Are you there? Do we not have Rich?
Speaker 1: You're probably gonna hear a toilet flesh in about two seconds.
Speaker 2: Just wait, dude, dodu do Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: It is so we have a loss to connection with Okay, you got it all right?
Speaker 2: So Neil, all right, how's things doing with you?
Speaker 1: By the way, wella's backup that we do that we have just in case.
Speaker 3: So, Neil, I want to tell you about Rich's newsletter, which is fantastic. Okay, I get his newsletter as great information. And what else do you want to talk tech about?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get a new phone because my phone doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Well, it does work. Have you noticed? I think I'm going to talk to rich about this. My phone is basically a year old.
Speaker 1: I have an iPhone I know the latest, I don't know, BLASTO five thousand, whatever the hell it is. And the battery is dying. I mean, come on, really, the battery is going south. And I'm told you just don't go in and get a battery, you get a new phone.
Speaker 2: And then I have this T Mobile business.
Speaker 1: Where you know, you buy a new phone, all you have to do is sign on level year contract and you get a free phone, whatever the hell it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about the Kansas City Chiefs and Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: I'm out you think they have phones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think your battery should be dying after a year.
Speaker 2: That's true. All right, before, we're going to take a break in just a minute.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I'm having a good time spinning and trying to figure out what to talk about. But actually there is fun to watch. I just wanted to have a good time. So let me tell you about a few things that I should be talking about. First of all, we do a segment called Ask Handle Anything, and we do that every single Friday now from May thirty to nine o'clock. And we started this because people ask a lot of questions, you know, private questions.
Speaker 2: Hey, Bill, what are you doing? What do you eat?
Speaker 1: Tell me about you know, this marriage that's going to happen coming up with March, And so you.
Speaker 2: Ask me questions.
Speaker 1: I answer them, and I'm pretty upfront about answering questions. If you listen for the first few weeks, you saw me and getting a while feeling a lot humiliated because I was humiliating myself.
Speaker 2: And so here's what the way we do it is.
Speaker 1: You go to the iHeart app during the show and go to the KFI page and at the top of the right hand corner on the KFI page is a microphone and you click onto that microphone and then you have fifteen seconds to ask a question.
Speaker 2: It's ask handle anything.
Speaker 1: I don't know whose idea that was, but I dove right into it. I dived right into it, and it was some fun questions, by the way, and I'm pretty upfront about it. Neil, have you noticed that I wasn't shy about asking questions. And I've been around for so long, you know, for those of you that have been listening for any length of time.
Speaker 2: In what is it.
Speaker 1: Lie, it's thirty one years that I've been broadcasting this show. No, it'll be thirty two years that I've been broadcasting this show. So anyway, ask handle anything. I don't want your opinion about anything.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: We can't talk politics politics if you want, just not your opinion of politics, Okay, and then Neil and and.
Speaker 2: Choose the questions.
Speaker 1: I don't hear them until you hear them on the air, so I get to answer them. And some of them are pretty stupid. We talked about what have we talked about my cocaine addiction?
Speaker 2: And what else? Solid question? That was a solid question. I talked about it. What else? What other personal? Weird questions? How the Palace got its name?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yes to how the Persian Palace got its name? That's true. I sold the Persian Palace. I was asked how much I sold it for? Of your damn business? What am I going to do when I retire at some point? I mean, it's not going to be you know, I'm not going to last another ten years. A lot of questions. Hey, by the way, Elmer, do we haven't our guy yet? That's a yes or no question, Elmer, I'm taking a break. But do we have them when we come back. Interesting that we have a tech segment. What okay, so we'll come back with a break. Interestingly enough, this is a tech segment. Think about that for a moment, and we couldn't connect.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from kf I am six forty.
Speaker 1: It's Tech Tuesday, which means Richard Morrows with us our tech guy, and rich I want to point something out since this is our tech segment.
Speaker 2: I find it.
Speaker 1: Ironic that we were having tech problems getting you on the air this morning.
Speaker 2: Isn't that great?
Speaker 5: Bill? It's the reason I stay employed. Come on, I mean, I'm a whole show dedicated to tech issues.
Speaker 2: No, I get it. And you should have heard us spin while you were gone.
Speaker 1: We were Neil and I were just all over the place, just having a good time, and there's plenty to talk about, but we decided we'd rather sound stupid than, of course, give you information.
Speaker 2: Okay, The big story, and I mean the big story.
Speaker 1: Is about that Chinese startup, Deep Seek, and I talked a little bit about it this morning. Obviously, my expertise in this one is limited versus your understanding and you looking into this, it is extraordinarily important both on a technical aspect of a technical level, geopolitical level, financial level. So I'm going to let you dive into this and talk about what this means and what it will mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so many aspects to this, but deep seek at its basic core is, you know, the Chinese equivalent of chat GPT. So they're doing what open ai is doing. They came out with the chatbot that you can ask questions to do research with whatever you need to do. It's very similar to what chat GBT offers. But the big difference is that they say they have created this at a fraction of the price that US companies have invested in their AI. So the implications, like you said, are far reaching because not only does this mean hey, wait, it's a gut check for Silicon Valley here in the US, but also for investors who have put all this money into Nvidia saying, oh, these these chips are going to be the future of everything, and they're expensive and you know, of course we saw the stock take a dive yesterday. But also, like you said, the geopolitical implications, like if Americans start using deep seek in a big way, what are the implications to privacy and the stuff that we've seen with TikTok So. A lot surrounding this, but the bottom line is it's gone from zero to one hundred pretty much overnight, and the app is now number one for both the iPhone and Android. And it's a Chinese version of chat ChiPT basically, but it works in English as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the geopolitical aspect also has to do with China being ahead of us technologically, which the Trump administration has rightly said, we do not want that to happen.
Speaker 2: We have to stay ahead of China, particularly with.
Speaker 1: These trade wars, and simply because their enemies of ours are not enemies, certainly adversaries. You had said that, Oh, and the power also the power that it takes, the energy that it takes to run the AI with the US made chips. Now you said, they say it can do the same thing the Chinese. What is your take on this?
Speaker 2: Is it real? Is it not? Rechael?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, look, I mean like everyone else have tried it and you know, tested it out. It's giving it answers that seem very much in line with what open ai does or what Google's Gemini may do. Is it as full featured? Perhaps not? But the other aspect of this is not only do they make this for a less financial amount, but they also kind of came up with a efficiency in the way that AI is conducted. So these computers don't necessarily computate the entire question all at once. They look for kind of patterns in the questions that people ask, and if it's already figured something out, it doesn't need to rehash that. And I think that's a big differentiator from what open ai and chat gbt is doing because we've heard bill so much about the energy and computing resources that AI takes. So if China did crack something in the code to say, hey, look we can do this, not only does it cost less to set it up, but it should cost less over time. It up ends so many things and so many assumptions we've had about AI. Chatchybt charges twenty dollars a month for you know, consumers if they want the premium version, or two hundred dollars a month for the super pro version, whereas this company is saying they can do it for even cheaper than that as well.
Speaker 1: And I mean this guy who started it is Chinese. He owns a hedge fund. I mean just what a brilliant man. And he's only twelve years old. I understand because all of those guys I was.
Speaker 5: Born in nineteen eighty five and he runs eight billion dollar hedge fund, so you know, and he's been fast. He's not an overnight success like this guy has done things before in the past. It's just that I think they wanted to take everyone by surprise with this. The other aspect of Bill is that, by the way, this is all open source. What does that mean. It means that anyone can take their model for free and use it. So that means if you're sitting there trying to use you know, CHATCHYBT on the back end of your new tech product, and you're paying them ten thousand dollars a month for their uh, you know, for the ability to use that, now you might say, oh, actually, we'll just take this free, open source model and we'll modify it and make it our own. And by the way, it's free.
Speaker 1: And uh, just just a quick word about the politics of all this, because of course Trump administration talks about China being such an adversary and we have to stay ahead.
Speaker 2: They released this the day that Trump was inaugurated. Yeah, that's what I read.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it took it took a bit for people to notice it, but you're right. I mean, look this, I mean, any any country in the world right now wants to be a superpower and AI because it is the future. It is where everyone is looking. And of course China is a big country. They've got a lot of resources, They make a lot of the chips that are out there, they have a lot of this knowledge. And so the fact is the US is seen as a superpower, but this just put a dent in that. And it remains to be seen just how much this is going to have an impact in the US. If it's anything like TikTok, it could be pretty big. But also, like you said, it does have political ramifications and also you know, security and privacy ramifications as well. People are going to be putting a lot of personal information into this chatbot and.
Speaker 2: It's Chinese owned. All right, Rich, thank you. We'll talk again next Wednesday and we'll do two segments probably you take care good.
Speaker 1: All right, Coming up, the CDC has been ordered to stop talking with the World Health Organization. I mean that one took everybody for a spin. And I'll share that information with you and then just a fun, fun story as we end up. Do you have a favorite child? Were you a favorite child? There's some studies that just came out, a big one that just came out, and of course a personal story.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: There is a memo that was just sent to senior leaders at the CDC saying all staff.
Speaker 2: Who work with the World Health Organization have to stop.
Speaker 1: They can't talk to the World Health Organization anymore and have to wait further guidance.
Speaker 2: And man, this was a surprise to everybody.
Speaker 1: Now let me tell you what the who does with the CDC stops outbreaks of Marlberg virus MPOs in Africa, brewing global threats, and we have the bird flu monitoring among us livestock that the World Health Organization is dealing with, and it applies to CDC staff, I mean across the board, working groups, coordinating centers, advisory boards, any other means of connecting in person or virtual. CDC staff can't even visit World Health Organization offices and if there is no street parking in front of the World Health Organization, they're not allowed to park anywhere on the street in front of the WHO offices.
Speaker 2: By the way, that's not true. I just made that one up.
Speaker 1: The point is that no one understands why the US is withdrawing from the World Health Organization.
Speaker 2: And here's the other one.
Speaker 1: Leaving the WHO requires the approval of Congress. US has to meet its financial obligation for the current fistal year. The US has to give a one year notice. None of that has happened. The Trump administration has just unilaterally said we're done with the World Health Organization.
Speaker 2: Now there's stuff that makes sense that the Trump.
Speaker 1: People are doing, and then some that you go please, I mean, come on, some stuff it doesn't matter. The Gulf of America, that doesn't matter. Pulling out of the World Health Organization. But that's no joke. And the president also froze spending on something called PEPFAR, the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief that stopped. That's an anti HIV program credited with saving twenty five million lives five and a half million children, started by President h President George W. Bush, and it's included and the Trump administration's freeze on foreign aid spending that lasts at least ninety days while they look at it. My god, I hope that the administration does not cut it off or not dealing with the World Health Organization.
Speaker 2: I mean, please, I mean, is there a reason for it? I haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: Maybe there is, maybe there's a good reason. But as I've said several times, we're going to see a shakeup of the government that already started day one. And this one is this is the World Health Organization? How political can that be?
Speaker 2: What is going on?
Speaker 1: I mean, the CDC and the who talk to each other, the scientists deal with each other, the researchers send each other the research, and that's been cut off.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe I gotta tell you I I have.
Speaker 1: To look at this and we'll see how it can be explained because I don't get it. This one I don't get. Now, let's just have fun. Let's end it with fun today because its been pretty serious. Do you have a favorite child? Are you a favorite child? Do your parents hate you or did hate you? Uh?
Speaker 2: There is a massive new study that just come out just about that. And then a couple of personal stories I want to share with you.
Speaker 1: One incredibly political run a Ronald Reagan story, which is kind of fun.
Speaker 2: I'll start with that one. When we come back.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: After the show off the air, I'm taking phone calls for Handle on the Law. If you have a marginal legal question, I will answer it off the air, and we're gonna go through them pretty quickly. In the numbers eight seven seven five to zero eleven fifty eight seven seven five to zero eleven fifty.
Speaker 2: I want to tell you a story.
Speaker 1: At one point I broadcast Handle on the Law at an outside studio and next to me was Michael Reagan, who was broadcasting the son of Ronald Reagan, and we used to hang out, we talk, and I asked him one day, Michael, you and your sister Maureen were adopted when Ronald Reagan was married to Maureen O'Hara and Nancy Reagan, and your dad had.
Speaker 2: Two biological children. Were you treated differently?
Speaker 1: And he said, well, first of all, my dad didn't pay attention to any of us. My mom, my mom, and remember that I was adopted by mareno harre and Ronald Reagan. My mom, Nancy Reagan hated all of us equally. There was no favorite child, and So there's a study that just came out, and it's a big one that just came out that involved many studies, and it had to do with do you have a favorite child? And most of us will say you don't. I don't have a favorite child. There are certain aspects of one kid I like, there are certain aspects of another kid, the other child I have. I have two versions of my family trust. One has well actually three versions. One has all the kids both kids in it, one has only one and the other one has the other one. And every time I get into a fight with one of them, I show them the trust where the other one gets all the money.
Speaker 2: And I do the.
Speaker 1: Same thing when I get into a fight, for example, with Barbara, I show the trust that Pamela gets all the money. So do I have a favorite child? I don't think so I try.
Speaker 2: To treat each of them equally. The reality is most of us do have a favorite child. If you have multiple kids, and birth.
Speaker 1: Order may have something to do with temperament, gender, the way the kids relate to you. Favoritism can be temporary in my case, for example, doesn't mean you're immune from preferring.
Speaker 2: To spend time with one or the other.
Speaker 1: Maybe you just like one more than the other, You just have the same interests with one more than the other.
Speaker 2: But here's what the study shows.
Speaker 1: Favorite children have better mental health, better grades, more ability to regulate their emotions, healthier relationships.
Speaker 2: Kids who get preferential treatments just do better.
Speaker 1: The other side is they may get over indulge and they don't have the skills that they need to be taught for later in life. Also, they might get the message they have to perform in certain ways to get attention and care. And so let me ask you, Neil, you know you have kids who do you like better?
Speaker 2: Max or Max? Oh?
Speaker 3: I gotta say Max. I will tell you a funny story.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 3: There's seven kids of my family, of which I'm number six, and six of us are boys. And my brother Craig wrote my mom or sent my mom a gift and wrote a note saying, from your favorite son, and she called me to thank me.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go.
Speaker 1: That works out all right, guys. We are done for today. We start all over all over again tomorrow. I think Amy comes back tomorrow. Michael, who has been with us the last two days, Michael, thank you.
Speaker 2: You have been extraordinarily mediocre. I appreciate. I know Amy is the favorite child here. You know what she's not?
Speaker 1: She really isn't, but she has a contract and there's not much I can do about it. Neil, once again the look. Elmer is off tomorrow too, who also.
Speaker 2: Has been extraordinarily mediocre.
Speaker 1: Kono comes back. If that makes you feel any better, Old Elmer. He's not so hot either. Neil and I come back with Ann A lot going on. Also, phone calls. I'm taking handle on the law phone calls off the air. It's eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty. I'm starting in just a moment and tell you what happens with him. Handle on the Law off the air, commercials Tuesdays and Thursdays. No commercials, no spots, no traffic, no weather, and no patience on my part. So as you can imagine, I go through them pretty quickly. The number eight seven seven five to zero eleven fifty.
Speaker 2: You can call.
Speaker 1: I'll start literally in just a minute or two eight seven seven five to zero eleven fifty.
Speaker 2: We do it again tomorrow. This Oh, Gary and Shannon up next.
Speaker 1: I think they're in, aren't they? This last few weeks I've been gone Gary and Shannon are up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Always a fun show with Gary and Shannon. This is KFI AM six forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app