Speaker 1: Now throughout history, when people get wood, they'll think of Trojans, look at them sleeping like little angels, spare.
Speaker 2: No one, and Iraq everywhere like.
Speaker 1: Such as I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about practice, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: We got them.
Speaker 1: Our next door neighbors are foreign countries.
Speaker 2: I call upon all nations to do everything they can to stop these terrorsts killing.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Now watch his drive.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, and welcome to remember Shuffle. My name is Ben with me is always my co host Trnando March.
Speaker 1: We can't break Zeusi's jaw.
Speaker 2: Today, for the first time ever on the main feed, we are not talking about something from the two thousands, twenty something years ago. We are taking part in the cultural zeitgeist to discuss this summer's Christopher Nolan blockbuster, The Odyssey. Why are we doing this, Tordano.
Speaker 1: Well, you have a PhD in classics, You've taught courses on The Odyssey. It just seemed like a wasted opportunity for the biggest movie of the year to come out and not have you talk about it. So sorry, we're breaking format a little bit here. I get to hear Ben talk about the Odyssey all the time and it's always very fascinating, and I thought, you know, why not, let's do it and it'll be good opportunity to drive people towards the Troy episode of our podcast as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a good one behind the Patreon. Yeah, and the movie is good. It's great even I fucking loved it. I don't think it is a perfect film, but it is an exceptional film. Eat shit right wing CHUD posters who were mad about this movie weeks months before it came out. I don't think I can remember a film that had this much discourse around it before it even came out. So now we finally get to talk about it when there's something to talk about. Also, each shit me, I believe. I said on one of our recordings that I predicted it would be mid, and it is so much better than Mid. I'm eating Crow. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: I liked it. I thought it was not a perfect movie. There was some things that I thought were annoying and he was weird about for some reason, Like one, I thought the movie was very didactic. There are lines in this movie where people will say, like our age of Bronze is ending or so, it's true our civilization is collapsing. And I think he's just like really eager to tell you about the Sea People's And like the first time I heard Sea People's I was like, oh, you know, cool little reference there. But by the twentieth time, I'm like, this is probably not something that was in the original text. And this is Kris Nolan's own take on it. This is what he's adding to it. And I thought that in general it was the weakest, but you know, he took a three thousand year old story and I like what he did with it. I thought it was certainly the best movie about the Odyssey, and it's a much better movie than Troy mm hmm.
Speaker 2: People's not only are they not in the Homeric poems, they're not even in Bronze Age Greece. That turn of phrase comes from an Egyptian inscription, if I recall correctly. But yes, he wants to show off that he knows about the Bronze Age collapse and he's going to incorporate it into his Bronze Age story.
Speaker 1: Chris Nolan, he's the smartest guy at the frat House. We've done what like three episodes on him at this point, probably the most important director of the two thousands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think if there's any place for a story with a little bit of didacticism, it's probably the Odyssey. It has a lot of folk tale elements to it, as we'll get into it, and generally the purpose of a folktale is to instill some kind of moral lesson. There's a prohibition, hey, don't do that thing, and then you do the thing, and then there's consequences. Like that's didacticism, but he's taken it to another level. He's scaled it up. I mean, I'm just gonna say it up. Top Odysseus is Oppenheimer, The Trojan Horse is the atomic Bob.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, maybe I didn't mean didacticism for all that, but like expository with the Bronze age collapse happening, Yeah, come on, man, like I can see you writing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another similar bit where it's meant to be both didactic, but it's name dropped too much. How many fucking times do we hear about Zeus's law?
Speaker 1: You know, I will say the first time I heard it, I'm like, I can't wait to fucking figure out with Zeus's Law all about dude.
Speaker 2: You should have known from the Troy episode we did it's about Zania guess host friendship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I didn't remember that detail.
Speaker 2: But yes, let's get into it. So I'll tell you a little bit of quick background to the Homeric poems the Iliot in the Odyssey. We did do this on our Troy episode. So if you're a Patreon listener who has already heard this, maybe skip ahead. If you're not on the Patreon, First off, how dare you? Second off, it's fine, We're gonna get right to it. These are the first two works of Greek literature that we have written down. They're ascribed to someone named Homer, and I got bad news. Homer was not real. The Greeks thought about who he was and where he came from and what his life was like because he wasn't fucking real. They were a bunch of anonymous bards walking around dark age Greece singing these songs. And eventually, when the Greeks develop their second writing system, the Greek alphabet, they compile these texts into a form probably roughly resembling the forms that we have them. Now, that's being a little simplistic. They were probably fully codified in the library at Alexandria way later. But this is when they get written down to put some time periods on Greek history. There are three time periods that we're dealing with. You had the Greek Bronze Age, which runs throughout most of the second millennium BCE, has some advanced civilizations, the Minoans and the Maceonians, which is not what they call themselves, is what archaeologists called them. They develop, writing, monumental architecture, all that stuff. This is where the historic city of Troy was. It does get burned down and around the year eleven seventy seven BCE ish a whole bunch of these societies just collapse. It's really bad in Greece. Where population collapses, long term trade collapses, writing is forgotten, and monumental architecture disappears. So this Bronze Age is when the story is meant hypothetically to have taken place. After that, from about one thousand to seven fifty BCE is the Greek Dark Ages. Think small towns run by your local chief men, the basileus, no formalized kind of law codes, very small populations, no writing, whatsoever. This is when the poems start to be composed, and they're highly episodic. You can drop like, oh, what's the story that really hits Oh, I know, the story of Helen describing all the Greek heroes from the walls of Troy, the Typoscopeia. And then around seven to fifty BC, we're in the Greek Archaic Age. Population starts to rise again. The Greeks are living in the cities that will eventually become the city state the Polists. And this is when the texts are written down. So that middle layer, the Greek Dark Ages, is the world that the poems as we have them most reflect.
Speaker 1: Right, even though they're based in an earlier time. And you said that there's probably not like an actual blind poet named Homer who put all this together. But there are two schools of thought on how they're written, is what you mentioned, Like the analyst and the Unitarian schools.
Speaker 2: Yes, as I said, you've got two schools thought. You got your Analysts, you got your Unitarians. The Unitarians see one hand at play, if not in the composition, then at least in the final assembly of the product. Because the works just hang together too perfectly.
Speaker 1: And that would be Homer, I guess, hypothetically hypothetic write it, but he kind of put it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the analysts got their name from analyzing each discrete little bit, and they say, oh, a poet added something here, and added something there, and added something there. It's much more haphazard with all of the various hands putting this thing together.
Speaker 1: And you've said that they're almost certainly not written by the same guy the two poems.
Speaker 2: No, and the person who put together the Odyssey clearly knew the Iliad. We know that this is a true sequel, that one came out after the author. Okay, because the Odyssey has all of these embedded narrations of what happened before. So the Trojan Horse episode is not in the Iliad, which covers I don't know, a few dozen days on the beach in front of the plains of Troy, but is told through flashback by Helen at Sparta two Telemachus in the Odyssey. Okay, but interestingly, not one single episode from the Iliad is retold a second time in the Odyssey. So presumably whoever's putting the Odyssey together knew their Iliad really really well. It didn't want to retread the same ground. There's no Hector Achilles fight, for instance, but we do see a kill a funeral told through flashback. Right.
Speaker 1: Is there any fan service or like references the other way where somebody in the Iliad is like winking as if aware that the Odyssey will happen after this or no, no, but it does go the other way obviously.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yes, this oral tradition is codified much later we get the Trojan Horse, and the tone between the Iliad and Odyssey is very, very different. Where Achilles is about becoming alienated from his society in a lot of ways, it's about his shame and withdrawal, and the Odyssey book less of the movie, is a story about reintegration into society. It's about his epic quest to come back to be the king, to be the husband. It's the opposite direction that Achilles is taking. Achilles is withdrawing and alienating. Odysseus is trying to get home and eventually succeeds in getting home. There's not a lot of humor in the Odyssey, but people have described it as comic in the same way that a Shakespearean comedy almost always ends with the marriage, because that's meant to be like harmony, the family society whatever. Like Odyssease and Penelope have a renewal of vow ceremony type shit. At the end of the Odyssey, you.
Speaker 1: Did mention that Zeus's law.
Speaker 2: Yes, Zeus's law. The Greek word is zenia x nia, and it is the proper comportment between guests and hosts. Very significant idea in the Homeric works. Zeus has all of these epithets, these nicknames for the things that he is god of, and one of them is Zeus Senios, Zeus of the guest host friendship. The idea is that there are reciprocal duties between guests and hosts, so you know, don't go murdering each other. You are meant to feed and provide for your travelers, and travelers are expected to provide you with stories from the road. You can see in a pre modern dark Age society, this is a way to keep everyone safe, everyone healthy. I think for the Eriskristocrats, who would be the people who travel the most, it helps them maintain their kind of networks and support one another. And it's so serious in the world of the poem that there's a scene in the Iliad when a Trojan and a Nikian adnean An argive they're not called Greeks yet. They're fighting on the plains of Troy, and they realize that their grandfathers or their ancestors had previously been host and guests to one another, and so they stop fighting. They say they'll avoid one another, and they exchange gifts in the midst of the battle. Very important holy law for these Homeric Greeks.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you mentioned, yeah, that the Odyssey is like more of a reflection of Dark Age culture than it is Bronze Age culture, because this movie kind of takes the opposite tact, where it's saying, like, see, what made the Bronze Age so special is that they had hospitality and Zeus's law, Right, that's what makes it the Dark Age, that that's coming so bad as we got rid of Zeus's law, right, we broke Zeus's law. Whereas you're saying that the respect for Zeus's law in this is probably more of a reflection of the Dark Age, like the period in which these stories were being told, rather than when the period that it's set during.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, take that. Christopher Nolan And Yeah, just one more point from Troy that I wanted to bring up again is that you've mentioned that half of all Greek writing that we found anywhere in the world is Homer. Fifty percent Homer recopied, and then the other fifty percent is like everything else, all other plays, all other histories, all other shopping lists and debt records. They loved this fucking story. This was like their Bible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Alexander slept with it under his pillow. You learn to write by recopying it. You memorized it in school. It was a school text. It is truly foundational. If there's one thing to read to understand the ancient Greeks, it is Homer. So let's, as we usually do with our movie episodes, let's discuss the characters before we do a plot summary, starting with the man of the hour himself, Odysseus played by Matt Damon, Boston's favorite son. First, you gonna learn about Socrates. You're gonna be walking around saying all I know is that I know nothing. Then you're gonna come at me next week with Plato talking about the ideas of the forms.
Speaker 1: You like figs, how do you like them? Figs.
Speaker 2: There we go. Nailed it, got it. When Homer opens the Odyssey, he describes Odysseus as a man who is polytropos, and I fucking love this Greek word. One of my friends has it tattooed on her arm. Shut out, Katie, she's been on a few episodes. It's a really hard word to translate. The prefix polly obviously means many, like polyamory and tropos. The second part of this compact word is a turn away, a manner, a fashion, or even a guys. So he is the man of many turns, of many ways, of many guys is. And it's a pun because he's a man of many turns because he has to go on this crazy journey in voyage.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Some people have even translated a man of many sufferings. But he's also a man of many manners, many ways, because Odysseus is the ultimate liar, schemer and stratagem creator. Here's just like a few ways of people have translated the opening line of the Odyssey, Tell me about a complicated man, muse, tell me how he wandered and was lost when he had wrecked the holy town of Troy, and where he went and who he met, the pain he suffered on the sea, and how he worked to save his life and bring his men back home. As Emily Wilson. A very recent translation and apparently the one that Christopher Nolan used. Fagels said, sing to me of the man mus the man of twists and turns, right, he goes a different ways. They have complicated his twists and turns. And this guy Lombardo goes speak memory of the cunning hero. Right, So three very different translations. He's a man of twists and turns, He's cunning, he's complicated. They're all attempts to translate polytropos, and they're a pretty solid character description for the man of the hour.
Speaker 1: He's not really a liar in this movie. Mm hmmm. He is clever, sometimes he's not clever enough. Yeah, So he's not like a superhero. He doesn't always have a solution. Is that true in the books? Or is he always pretty competent?
Speaker 2: He does some lying when he gets back to Ithaca. That's like all in disguise and lying, right, All that's true, beggar? Yeah, No, I mean he blunders quite a bit in the source material. The Cyclops episode is one of the most different, but that's the most famous Odysseus blundering and costing them because he's very, very prideful, which is something I think Chris Nolan turned down a little bit. But in that episode, famously, they have a dialogue between Odysseus and the Cyclops and there's a Greek pun where the Cyclops has been blinded and he's talking and he said, who did this? Who did this? And Odysseus says is outis, which is Greek for no one. And the other cyclops come to help their buddy and they're like, hey, who blinded you? And he says, nobody blinded me. And they're like, oh, okay, story checks out. I guess because it was just an accident or whatever. But Odysseus is so so prideful that as he's sailing away, he can't help but taunt the Cyclops. He says, is not nobody who blinded you, it's me Odysseus. He doxes himself. He's like, it's me Odysseus from Ithaca. And sure enough, Paul Femus, the Cyclops is Poseidon's son. Praise to Poseidon to curse Odysseus for the rest of his journey, So a character trait that's not so much there in the movie, but in the work he's prideful as fuck, and it frequently leads to problems for him, or at least in this one big instance. Most Americ heroes are superlative, like they are the most something. Agamemnon is the kingliest, he's the most kingly, Achilles is the best fighter. Nestor he's the oldest guy, but he's also the wisest guy in that old timer kind of way. Ajax, biggest guy. I think we mentioned on our Troy episode there's a guy named Thersid's the ugliest guy at Troy. Everybody's got something, you know. And Odysseus is the clever guy at Troy in that lying, hustling stratagem kind of way.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think the traits that Nolan drops or softens, I think he drops a lot of the pride because it just doesn't really jive with us. I mean, in the work, he lynches, like quite literally with a hanging a dozen of Penelope's handmaidens for sleeping with the suitors, and by sleeping with I mean being sexually assaulted by the suitors, because these are enslaved people that didn't make it in the fucking movie.
Speaker 1: You know, he's a little proud when he shoots the cyclops. I took that lesson there to be like, don't be so boastful, like don't gloat.
Speaker 2: Yes, in the work he's hornier, right. He sleeps with both Circe the Witch and Calypso the Immortal Nymph, and in the film he doesn't sleep with Circe at all, And any of the love between Calypso and him, I think is just implied. And to keep him the loyal husband, like he's only in love with Calypso when he's eating the lotus flowers. To keep Odysseus's hands a little bit clean. Despite his nickname being polytropos. He is a monogamous man in this film, a loving monogamous man. And I think the traits that Nolan adds or exaggerates is that in this film Odysseus is crippled with guilt. This is his number one emotion that he feels. He feels guilty for the very Stratagem, the Trojan horse that helped the Greeks win the Trojan War. He is Oppenheimer, and the Trojan Horse is the nuclear bomb. This is looking ahead to what we're gonna do later. But the Trojan Horse's history in the world of the film violates Zeus's law and leads to so much rage and destruction and desecration and all that that the Greeks themselves have become marauding sea people's and our age of Bronze is ending. This is in the poem a little bit. There's a scene that was cut for time, which is fine, where Odysseus is at another one of these islands. He's being hosted at a dinner party by the Fiatians, and a bard starts coming in and the bar is singing the songs of the Trojan War, like we see Travis Scott do in Ithaca in the film. And Odysseus when he hears the songs, he starts weeping and covering his face. The songs that he's hearing are all about his dead friends, and this is entertainment to all these people.
Speaker 1: That had have been a good scene.
Speaker 2: I like that, Yeah, But Christopher Nolan does something brilliant and that he cuts the scene, but he alludes to it when he's talking to Penelope through the screen. He has this acide where he says, I don't like those songs because they make me cry. Oh okay, so he has Odysseus allude to it, which I think is nice.
Speaker 1: I think that also, as a guy who has never read any Homeric work, I got the sense that Odysseus one of his character traits is pragmatism as a leader. There's plenty of lines where like his soldiers are asking him if they can move a fallen comrade's body outside of the Cyclops's cave, and Odysseus says he died trying to escape. We can on a run by escaping. Mm hm, listen, I gotta see a guy about a girl. The gods help those who help themselves. Also, when the Lystragonians are tearing apart their other ship and the men are all like, we got to go help them, and He's like, we're gonna die if we do that. We gotta just be less sentimental and power forward selfishly.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. Yeah. I mean, the poem makes clear that Odysseus's soldier's death that's their fault, not his. They say that in the first lines. I get what you're saying, and I think this is probably something that Nolan increases a little bit. I was paging through rereading some sections of the Odyssey. I was rereading the bit where he's talking to the dead, and one of the first dead guys that talks to Odysseus is elpin Or. Elpinor's funnier to say it, elpin Or. But he was one of Odysseus's men who was sleeping on Circe's roof drunk, fell off and died, and they forgot to bury him, and Odysseus promises that he'll go back and bury him when he's talking to him.
Speaker 1: How important of a character is Odysseus in the Iliad, Like I know you mentioned that he's kind of there with Achilles. Is he a major character? Does he appear as often as anyone else?
Speaker 2: He's pretty significant? Where does he shine? The embassy to Achilles is a major scene in the work, and he's one of the main protagonists there. He also goes on this daring night raid late in the thing. He's definitely up there. He's not as important as Achilles or Hector or Agamemnon, i'd say for moving the dramatic action along.
Speaker 1: And there's never any fan service where someone's like, don't worry, Odysseus, you'll be home soon.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Not that I recall play by Sean Bean in Troy if you recall, but he's like whittling a wooden horse in that one, and he gets his doctor House like realization moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, there were people on social media again before the thing had even come out, posting Sean Bean being like, this will always be my Odysseus. I'm like, shut the fuck up. That movie, thanks, dude.
Speaker 1: One does not simply sail back to Ithaca.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it reminds me of the rehability of the Star Wars prequels that has happened among the gen zs. I saw something on Instagram reels or whatever where the gen zs lumped us in with the boomers where they said the millennials and the boomers tricked us into the thinking that the prequels were bad or whatever, and it's like, no, man, you just got bad taste. I'm sorry. If you think that Sean Bean is the best Odysseus, you should not be allowed to vote.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess the prequels are better than like the modern ones. Yeah, so maybe that's all they have to compare it to. Mm hmm. It's like the Greek story about the shadows on the wall the cave. By play those the allegory of the cave, It's like the allegory of the cave with the shadows look at you.
Speaker 2: Penelope played by Anne Hathaway Odysseus's loyal life. She's basically just as much of a clever liar and deceiver as Odysseus is in the work She's left at home. It's been twenty years. She's under immense social press shirt to marry one of these suitors who are eating her out of house and home, eating her out bad turn of friends there. One of her ruses as a delaying tactic. She says that she can't marry any of the suitors until she finishes weaving this burial shroud. I forget if it's for her father or her father in law, because so Disease's dad is still alive. Be kind of rude to make a burial shroud for a guy who's still alive. But she weaves and weaves and weaves during the day, but then undoes all of the weaving during the night and shout out to Ann Hathaway, who was on her fucking Daniel day Lewis shit. She apparently learned to use an ancient loom so that this would be real, Like, you don't need to fucking do How many people in the audience know how ancient weaving works.
Speaker 1: I do. Like that instrument she's using. It's kind of neat. I totally missed that detailed. That's why she's undoing all the work, because she sort of said, I will marry someone. I just gotta I gotta finish the death veil first, guys, I swear as soon as I finished the burial shroude, I will I will find the new husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like her setup at home. There the kind of like architecture of most of the Penelope scenes, which is she has this kind of like obscuring wall behind her weaving lounge, and it's also like elevated so she can like look down at the suitors so she can see them, but they can't see her very well. Yeah, kind of a power move at the King of Ithaca's home one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: So, Yeah, she's loyal and she's just as scheming as Odysseus. I think the traits of Nolan ads or exaggerates she doesn't have more like agency per se in that she's still locked in the same patriarchal conflict as in the work, but we get to see her character a bit more fleshed out. That scene where she berates Tom Holland for not giving her enough credit for managing Ithaca while Odysseus is away. That feels like it's more indebted to Margaret Atwood's Penalopiad, which is a great work that people should read that it is Homer's actual poem. Like her line about the entire palace down with the suitors in it goes so fucking hard when she's berating Telemachus, because yeah, the work's almost three thousand years old, it's pretty sexist. One of the first things Telemachus does in the poem is tell Penelope to shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: I have heard that, like foreign ancient work, Penelope is fleshed out a bit more than a woman normally would be in a story like She has quite a bit of parody with Odysseus in the way that they think about each other.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, she tests him even after he completes the ax trial at the end, they have this marriage bed that has four posts, and one post is a living tree that's rooted into the ground. The only people who know are her and Odysseus, and so she asks the beggar to move the bed out into the hall or something like that to see if he knows, and he's like, oh, we can't do that. It's rooted to the floor because like the only one who knows. So she's got some tricks up her sleeve as well.
Speaker 1: In that speech, you know, where she is berating Telemachus about the throne because a Telemachus, her son is like, I want to be king, and she's like kind of explaining to him, like she can't be the king of Ithaca or the queen of Ithaca even but as long as the throne is empty, she's in power. This is like a weird loophole in which like a woman can technically be in charge of Ithaca is oh, well, we're waiting for a king to come back and we're not quite sure where he is, and like my son isn't ready yet, Like this is the liminal space where the woman can sit on the throne. Effectively. The facto name is Greek phrase.
Speaker 2: They're kind of stuck because again there's no formal constitution, there's no written law in this ancient Greek world. You get to be the leader if you are the biggest guy in your village, if you are a bassi leus, And it's like, what's it mean to be a big man. It means you're like good at athletics, it means you're good at war. It means that like when there is a dispute, you can be a mediator, means you have good judgment. But there's no formalized meta rules for the rule makers, like a constitution or any of that shit. And so part of Telemachus's problem there's a scene where he calls an assembly of all of the oldest guys left in Ithaca and he tries to talk to them about the suitors. And his problem that he hits is that Antinous is able to be like, oh, we're just hanging around until she makes a call like this problem will solve itself, just wait it out. He's able to deflect blame.
Speaker 1: So part of her craftiness is she's balancing this situation for twenty years right without letting one of these jackals take control of Ithaca.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. Next character, we got Telemachus, Tom Holland, Odysseus's son, whom he barely knows he was a baby when Odysseus is headed off to Troy. He's aging into adulthood. He is not the most sympathetic character in the work. Like I said, one of the first things he does is to tell his mother to shut the fuck up. His name means far away tel a like telephone or television battle mahos faraway battle because his dad spent his entire life in a far away battle. And the thing I'll say for Telemachus is that he's got this very strong character arc in the work where he goes from being this kind of insecure young man. He spends the first four books under Athenis mentorship. He's wandering around Greece. He's asking for stories about his dad to someone who can fight alongside Odysseus and help him meet out tremendous violence. He can call assemblies to call it the suitors. He can do some dark age king stuff. This is like, in many ways the story of Telemachus becoming a man, because he starts the work and kind of is also there at the end. There's a nice little arc there. Nolan's telemic is the pretty true to the source material. I'd say, I.
Speaker 1: Would say we got to stop putting people with smartphone face in these period pieces. It is annoying. I think sometimes we're like, this guy seems just like too.
Speaker 2: Having a skincare routine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly in a movie where like they really show people's real skin texture, Like I think there are many scenes in this movie where people are not wearing makeup. To have Tom Holland You're like, this guy's been to a dermatologist, like you know, yeah, he looks like he belongs on the Disney Channel.
Speaker 2: Second last character to discuss its antinuus played by Robert Pattinson. He is one of the many suitors of Penelope. He's kind of their leader. He's camped out in Ithaca's halls. He's eaten, he's drinking.
Speaker 1: When did the suitors first start camping out? Is it like when the other people come back from the war, or is it like day one he's gone. They're like, yeah, he's dead.
Speaker 2: For no, no, no, because because presumably there's messages going back during the Trojan War first ten years of the Trojan War, Free and Clear then I think there's a bit of a grace period as I wait for all the other Homeric heroes to get home. Spoiler alert, they all have a bad time getting home. This is a subgenre of Greek literature called the nostos story the homecoming story, because they're all eventful. I think the film says that been there three years, so right around year sixteen or seventeen is when they start camping out and doing this shit.
Speaker 1: Gotcha does the ugliest man from Troy make at home?
Speaker 2: Oh? I don't know if there's a myth about their societies. I don't know if he lives through the war.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The great thing about myth is that I'm sure there is a deep cut story, probably in some lost work where someone wrote the Inceell tragedy about their societies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, societies. His wife married a suitor, like the Second Day of Troy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a fucking villain, right, he's scheming. He plots to kill Telemachus. This is in the Odyssey, even if the details are a little bit different. And most significantly, he's a villain because he does not respect Zania the correct guest host comportment like entitledly eating and drinking for so long is breaking Zeus's law. Throwing a chair at the beggar who's actually Odysseus in disguise is also a major o BA. He's arrogant, he's cruel, he's disrespectful to the gods. Bad dude. If anything, I think Christopher Nolan's version is slightly softened because we get to see a little bit of his backstory about like that business with the lots and going to Troy or whatever.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: I think there's a world in which he feels a little bit of shame for not going as portrayed in the world of the film.
Speaker 1: So when he says he's gonna watch over Telemachus, that's him fucking with Telemachus. I take it. Yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: Our last character is Odysseus's crew of red shirts, right. The poem makes clear from the very first lines that the rest of Odysseus's men ain't making it back, and it even explains why. Within the first twenty lines of this poem, it says he failed to bring his men back home, and for their own mistakes, they died. They ate the sun God's cattle, and the god kept them from home. Spoiler alert All these guys ain't fucking making it. These guys are walking talking cautionary tale with death wishes. You know, they give your fucking folkdale. Hey, don't do this thing.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do this thing consequence the candy house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Pay the guy who killed all the rats in your village. Make sure you pay him on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, build your house out of brick.
Speaker 1: What do you do with strong?
Speaker 2: That's crazy?
Speaker 1: All right, cool, let's get into the plot of the odyssey.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that is most basic. The Odyssey is one man's epiquestic at home. Like I said, the Greeks even have a word for this type of story, the nostos. It also follows Telemachus and the loyal wife Penelope, who's left at home. Telemachus's story is about growing up, going from adolescents to manhood. Penelope story loyal, clever wife who still has the know how to test o'dasseus once he's back, to make sure he is who he says he is, and also to pass his tests as he tries to see if she's been loyal to him. Now. One of the interesting things about the Odyssey is that it is in fact toll non linearly which makes it perfect for Christopher Nolan. I knew as soon as he took this on there was no fucking way he was going to start at Troy and go forward, given the source material and given his ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought that was really interesting, because you know, it's so dynamic this movie. You're moving around through time so much, and I was wondering if that was a byproduct of him. But it's interesting that that's just in the text. It's the first story, and it has I guess what we would call a postmodern structure, which is hilarious because it kind of breaks the inherent rule that we named it after.
Speaker 2: It's pre postmodern. He chops it up even further. But there are a lot of embedded stories and even sometimes stories within stories. The Odyssey is divided into twenty four units called books because they each took up one book scroll. And I use this just to give you an idea of how the work is divided. Right, The first four books of the Odyssey actually focus on Telemachus and what's going on back at Ithaca Odisse barely in it. We see Telemachus travel first to Pylos to talk with Nestor. That's not in the movie, and then he goes to Sparta to chat with Helen and Menelaeus that is in the movie. On his travels, he's accompanied by this dude Mentor who is actually Athena in disguise, And yes, this is where we get the word mentor for mentors. Just he's wandering around, he's looking for tales his father. This is where the Trojan horse story is told in flashback. It's where the audience is caught up on what happened to Agamemnon after he got home, namely he got killed by his wife, and a lot of this makes it into the movie, but just with further splicing of what's going on with Odysseus.
Speaker 1: I thought that the scene where they're talking about Agamemnon and his wife Clytemnestra Clytemnestra stabbing him in the face the second he gets home after like ten years, because he had killed their daughter in order to get favorable wins on the way there. Yeah's like, damn, she's still mad about that. We needed the winds. M h. The wind was great, by the way, Thanks for asking.
Speaker 2: That's retold many times in Greek tragedies, and the Greeks really see this as Agamemnon's between a rock and a hard place. Right, He's got the whole army camped out at Aulis, and the winds get becalmed, and somebody in some versions accidentally shoots a stag sacred to Artemis, and so they the seers, interpret that he has to sacrifice his own daughter, and this is one of the many reasons he gets super murdered when he gets back from Troy. But the play posits like, you know, this guy did a lot of bad shit to get the gods on his bad side, Like the sack of Troy is no good. He's got this blood curse from his ancestors. He killed his own daughter, his wife cheated on him with his cousin, I think is their blood relationship, and the cousin wants to thrown. So there's lots of reasons Agamenon gets it. But yeah, I feel like for a modern audience, this conflict just does not hit where it's like, well, you gotta understand if the army can't move, you know, you's gotta kill us odaughter.
Speaker 1: Would a dark age Greece audience have thought there are situations in which a child sacrifice is appropriate.
Speaker 2: Very controversial evidence surrounding if and when and how much the Greeks may or may not have practiced human sacrifice sometime in their early early history. I think the Greek reading of it is like, damn, those gods are fucking mean, Like they are cruel and malevolent and capricious, and glad I ain't him, okay, Sticking with the plot as told in the poem, by the time we get to book five, remember there's twenty four books all in all, we catch up with Odysseus, who was on Calypso's island, the Immortal Nymph, And this is where Nolan streamlines the story a bunch, because he puts the embedded narration of Odysseus's misadventures almost entirely here. And he does this pretty clever plot device of Odysseus weaning way off of a pretty nasty lotus flower addiction to get all of his memories back. This was in the Odyssey. It was another one of these scenes where they show up to an island, they go on the island, there's bad stuff on the island. Then they eventually have to leave. But like his men eat the lotus flower, which makes you forget all of your problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kept calling it Xanax Island because that's what it seemed like, where you're just like I have a family. I think I have a family.
Speaker 2: So this is where in a flashback we hear about Odysseus's straight up not great time trying to get back to Troy. In no particular order, here are some of the episodes. They're the most famous episodes from the Odyssey. He encounters the cyclops Polyphemus beside the Sun, he fucks them up, He's cursed by Poseidon. He and his men get wrecked by the Leistragonians, the cannibal giants. They end up on the witch Circe's Island, who turns all of Odysseus's men into pigs. They sort of kind of travel to the underworld, like, they don't actually go down into Hades, but they summon the spirits up there to get some advice. They pass between Scilla, the technical monster and Charybdis the giant whirlpool. They go by the sirens, who sing a song so beautiful that drives men to madness, and finally they end up on the island of the Sun God, where his stupid idiot red shirt men, break the one fucking rule, eat the sun god's cattle, and guarantee that they all die. So all of these adventures in the Odyssey are told through flashbacks in books eight to eleven, So all of these iconic adventures that you know are like sixteen percent of the odyssey.
Speaker 1: Interesting, So, like the actual trip back home is a very small portion of the overall story.
Speaker 2: There's some bit before and after, like when he gets from Calypso's island to this other island where he tells his stories, and then afterwards he goes to Ithaca. A lot of it is Telemachus and his time as the beggar too. Yeah, all right, So I thought in general there was almost like a comic undertone to a lot of these situations, because it's like, yeah, he gets out of this like horrifying Cyclops cave only to be in like a far more dangerous position at like the very next stop, right and again it's like out of the true like out of the frying pan into the fire situation the entire time almost comically. So, yes, I thought the cyclops cave was good. They go into this cave and Odysseus is like ooh, cheese. Yeah, violation of guest host friendship. You need to wait for the host to offer you the cheese. Listen, this is ancient Greek stand your ground laws. Okay, your honor. He ate my cheese.
Speaker 1: His men are immediately like, I don't know, Boss, seems like a moral test. Odisseus even says like, don't worry. When the host gets back, we'll share it with him. We'll share his own cheese with him. And the Cyclops I was eating them one at a time. They eventually escaped just by yes, stabbing him in the eye and like put it hal on their back to look like the sheep that are in there.
Speaker 2: Because he's blinded. Right, They put the stick in his eye, and they put the hay on their back so that as the sheep are going and touching his fingertips, they feel they like sheep.
Speaker 1: Ah, I see, okay, God see.
Speaker 2: In the actual odyssey, they strap themselves to the underside of the sheep and they just kind of hang from the bottom like a sloth or something. And I think Christopher Nolan just thought that would look too dumb. Right, here's the thing about the whole Cyclops episode. It's pretty dumb. It's pretty stupid. They talk to one another.
Speaker 1: The Cyclops and Odysseus talk to one another.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all jokes aside. So many individual instances of this poem are about improper behavior between guests and hosts. And you can say, like, what's Odysseus in the wrong for eating the cheese without asking? Or is the Cyclops in the wrong for eating the men? I don't know who's to say. The trick is kind of silly. They also get him drunk, because the Cyclops is meant to kind of represent pre civilized human beings, right, he doesn't have alcohol, so they get him drunk. And now I forget if this is in the Odyssey or one of the later adaptations, but like he is a pastoralist, he lives alone in a cave. There's something like anti social and anti civilizational about the Cyclops, especially as he's portraying the Odyssey. But the way Nolan does it, it's just way better. He's a giant puppet. Fucks cgi. It looks cool, it looks gross. The poem doesn't say he has a twisted nose, but doesn't say that he doesn't, so like he's got one eye and the nose is twisted to the side. When he eats the men, it recalls the Goya painting of Saturn eating his son, so it's got that other illusion there, and he maintains the trick, and he maintains, like Jordana you said, the glowdiness of Odysseus when he fires off one last arrow into his eye when he's at the opening of the cave. He keeps the vibe without being slavish to the source material, which is why I think is so brilliant.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, It's horrifying watching them lose like one guy at a time, because has enough appetite for like one dude, so they can try like every day as he opens the door and closes the door on them. And then they end up at the Second Island, and it's just a gut punch because dozens of them are just immediately murdered yep, in like a hopeless situation. They end up at the Witches Island.
Speaker 2: Oh, and by this time, Odysseus's men are starting to doubt his leadership. They basically mutiny and they're like, listen, Odysseus, you've been making some bad calls out there. You watch the boats, trust us.
Speaker 1: And they show up at the Witch's house, they accept food, which I guess the lesson there is don't pig out when you're staying at someone's house, right, Yep. It's like body horror watching these guys eat this stew and they're compelled to just keep eating and eating and eating. You can tell that, like they're horrified as they do it until she massages each of them into a pig. And I gotta say it, while I was watching the scene, I was like eating popcorn, like crazy, crazy style. I was on like my second bowl and I'm watching these guys like eat themselves to death and like, I think one of the most memorable lines of the movie was like men and their appetites and it did not feel good. You mentioned in the past that he sleeps with this witch in the books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot more sensuality in Odysseus and Circe's interactions, and she thinks she can pull the same tricks on him. But Nolan demystifies the text to a high degree. In the work. He gets advice from Hermes, so he has all the information going in in their battle of wits or whatever. But I see okay, and he lives with Circe for a year.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, so he has sex with her to like earn her trust. He's trying to fuck his way out of.
Speaker 2: A jam, of course, and no other reason.
Speaker 1: Okay, So he's on Xanax Island and he like builds a shitty raft and he just pushes it off into the ocean, and he somehow goes from like the magical world back to the real world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he like tells his whole story. He gets all his memories back, and he agrees to give up control or some shit. Honestly, I recall like somewhat therapy pill language about yielding control and like putting himself in the hands of beside it. And he washes back up on Ithaca. And just for context, a full half of the Odyssey is about what Odysseus does when he's back on Ithaca. Books twelve to twenty four of this thing are about him bumming around in disguises. He makes it back to Ithaca, he links up with Telemachus. In the film, he saves Telemachus from an ambush set by the Suitors. He rocks these clever disguises and lies so that he can get the lay of the land and test people for loyalty. You gotta remember he has been told the story of Agamemnon's homecoming when he spoke to the dead. And so he's got his old nurse Uriclea, who recognizes him from his scar. He's got the loyal swineherd Eumaeus played by John Legwiziamo, you know the guy. And he's got son Telemachus. In the poem. He reveals himself to Telemachus almost immediately, because you can always trust a son, even if you can't trust a wife. And it all comes to a head when Penelope says she's gonna hold an archery contest to see who is as good as Odysseus, and she will marry the suitor who can string Odysseus's bow and fire it through twelve axe heads. Nobody can do it except for Odysseus. This was maybe my favorite scene of the movie because the music swells and the music is all made with like reconstructions of ancient instruments. So we have this like plucky liar building up and he bends the bow, he strings it up, and he plucks the string and it just reverberates and everyone this is like this epic fucking oh shit moment as everyone recognizes it's him.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that's not in the books. He doesn't pluck the bow to warn the animals or anything.
Speaker 2: No, that's a that's a Nolan insertion. But it's a good one.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 2: It makes it more honorable. It's the opposite of the liar and the cheat and the strategists. Though right it is quite literally the opposite of Odysseus's character, where like, right, when I'm hunting, I like to give the animals a fair shot. So Odysseus reveals himself, he passes the test, and then he and Telemachus slaughter the one hundred and eight suitors and in the work they hang all of the collaborating handmaids.
Speaker 1: You know, in the movie, he takes them all like one v all where it's like, yeah, you've been plotting for this moment for so long and it was so weird to watch, like, oh, y, was this your plan to be like, and then I'm going to kill all of them single handedly? You know? Yeah, well I guess it makes sense if like he's this like veteran who's just fought through hell and they all stayed back from the Trojan war. Yeah, they were either too old when it started or too young, and he found a way to get rid of all their weapons. Right.
Speaker 2: And so the poem ends with the families of the suitors coming up to the palace and demanding vengeance. This is very different from the movie version. Athena comes down and Deus ex Machina's us out of a cycle of blood, feud and vengeance and civil war. The end, and I'm not exaggerating, these are the last lines of this giant ass poem. It's thirteen hours on audible. It's long, and it ends with this thud. But Zeus sent down a thunderbolt, which fell in front of his own daughter, Great Athena. She looked at him with steely eyes and said, Odysseus, you are adaptable. You always find solutions. Stop this war, or Zeus will be enraged at you. He was glad to obey her. Then Athena made the warring sides swear solemn oaths a peace for future times, still in her guys as mentor. The end, Poucci died on his way to his home planet.
Speaker 1: Nice happy ending.
Speaker 2: M Yeah.
Speaker 1: In the movie Odysseus and his wife get on a boat and travel west. They plan to go as far west as anyone has ever gone to escape the incoming civilizational fall. I can't remember the exact line, if you do, remember a throat in the comments, but it's something like go west, A civilization will rise again and will not be forgotten. Like I think. It was like a little bit of Christopher Nolan doing his best to put in some allusion to this text being the first of Western civilization. Mm hmm. Again, maybe one of those moments where it was just like not as good because he was trying to put his own spin on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he couldn't help himself.
Speaker 1: Around like its place in Western civilization.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about the style and structure of the movie. A lot to talk about here.
Speaker 2: It looks fucking sick.
Speaker 1: Jrudello.
Speaker 2: Did you see it on like the super duper turbo Imax seventy milimeter?
Speaker 1: I actually don't know what format I saw it in. Yeah, neither do I.
Speaker 2: It's the first film to be shot entirely on Imax, which I learned you can only film three minutes at a time before you need to change the tape. Question mark changed something in the camera, and some of these scenes are more than three minutes, so actors would be in the middle of a scene highly intense, dramatic, and they just have to hold it as they like swapped out the I don't know, Spool, I really don't know how IVAX works. Yeah, it's shot on location. You got a ton of extras, a ton of practical effects. The scene where the dead come up out of the ground and chase in the scene where they're talking to the dead, they actually buried people in dirt and gave them snorkels. So fucking sick, dude. I love the feel of how things work. The palace at Ithaca. It doesn't look like the fucking Parthenon or any of the gleaming white columns you associated with classical grease. I think it recalls a lot of Bronze Age architecture to the extent that we can reconstruct from whatever foundations are left. There is a ton of embedded narration, right, So chrisy Nolan took this tech that already had a bunch of embedded narration as part of its storytelling structure and used it to great effect. Like Jordana you said, it's dynamic. I just wrote the story just keeps galloping along and is interesting and we get these different perspectives. So in the opening scene, the bard Travis Scott starts to tell the Trojan Horse episode. He has the first lines in the movie. He's pounding his staff and he's doing his hip hop stylings of rap poetry, and he gets cut off. Then we get Menilaeus telling his version of the Trojan Horse story to Telemachus. Then later in the film we get Odysseus telling it to Calypso slash himself as his memories are coming back. Then we get Odysseus telling about the sack of Troy to Penelope. So even as we are proceeding forward throughout the movie, we keep coming back to Troy in this interesting way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found it was very dynamic because it's not linear. You're not just starting with the Trojan Horse and then going to the end of the Suitors, right, And I was shocked to find out, Like I said, that this is partly due to the Odyssey and then partly due to Christopher Nolan's own stylings. But there are flashbacks within flashbacks, and he keeps them straight where for example, if you want to go from like a story of Odysseus, you know, with the Cyclops, back to Telemachus, they'll have to take you first to Odysseus on the island with Calypso, and then you can go back because we're in a flashback within a flashback, and then we can go back to Telemicus. We did the prestige on this podcast. There's there's all these different tracks that you can have for reading.
Speaker 2: A fucking book within a book in that one, Yeah, it's so brilliant because it solves a problem of adapting the Odyssey, and it's also similar to a Homeric story structure, and you can characterize your characters like how do you tell the story when you hear menilais tell the story about what it looked like inside that fucking horse. It ain't fun, right, Whereas when Bard Travis Scott starts the story, it's about a great victory and you can see it like, oh, yeah, this Bard who stayed at home, it's all happy times and glory. Its victory and the guy who was actually there talks about watching a guy slowly drown in the tides at the bottom of the horse.
Speaker 1: Very nice for like a story that isn't an oral tradition to have so much of the story be in the form of people retelling others in the story itself, whether it's people Telemachus is interviewing or through Odysseus telling Lipso yeah, and because they can move around the time like this, like the actual battle of Troy or the Siege of Troy happens at the end of the movie. Even though it's technically something that happens like chronologically at the beginning of the story, it's occurring at the end of the movie, which is like the natural place for this kind of like climactic battle. It fits. Well, there, I don't think you actually see Achilles in this movie.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 1: It would have been funny if there was a guy in the background who was like, my heal, that's a great bit.
Speaker 2: Sadly, Achilles dies before the Trojan Horse episode. So okay, so that's a lie from the Troy movie that it happens during the Battle of Troy. Interesting, My secret desire is that the reason we don't have Achilles because there's more parts where we should have seen an Achilles. Achilles famously talks to Odysseus in the underworld and talks about how much worse it is to be dead than alive.
Speaker 1: Hates it down there, so he'd rather be.
Speaker 2: Alive and a slave up there than be the most famous dead guy, because this shit fucking sucks. My secret desire is that Nolan will one day do an Iliad movie. And he didn't want to cast his Achilles just yet.
Speaker 1: It's interesting. Yeah, he was supposed to do Troy. Originally he was like actually signed on to be the director, but then at the last moment Wolfgang Peterson lost Batman Verus Superman and he had produced Troy. He's like, actually I want to make it. Sorry, Nolan, get out of here.
Speaker 2: Oh so we lost two great movies. Wolfgang Peterson, Rip, you got a lot to answer for.
Speaker 1: Nolan ended up going to do Batman. Begins his Oppenheimer. Yeah, his nuclear bomb and a great detail for this next point about the sort of grounded realism of this movie. And I don't necessarily mean the gods stuff, but I just find like a lot of the presentation seemed very grounded, right, Like I mentioned their skin texture earlier, but like you see people's pores in this movie in a way that you're like Oh, it's been a while since I saw people's pores in a movie, but like makes a sayba makes sense for a situation three thousand years ago. Like Matt Damon looks like a dad in this movie. I mean he's got big arms, but like he's got a lot of moles on his skin, and like he doesn't look like the movie ten thousand BC or whatever, like where they had, you know, sort of perfect everything. The Trojan Horse itself much more realistic. Every time I had seen the Trojan Horse in like a comic book or a cartoon or Troy, it's always the horse on the wheels, you know, classic. It was much more metal version, sort of grounded. It looks like it could actually be more of an idol in this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was the whole trick is like we built this thing for the gods as we are leaving, right. I love how it looks because the horse is rearing off and it's on the beach, is half buried, and others have pointed this out. It looks like the Statue of Liberty at the end of Planet of the Apes, as this thing that marks the end of a particular world, as the end of some apocalypse which we are going to talk about more in our themes momentarily. But this is Christopher Nolan's whole thing is that this is the apocalyptic end of the Bronze Age, as kicked off by the Sack of Troy, and we mark it with the Trojan horse looking like one of our most famous apocalypse images from film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the scene of them moving the Trojan horse back into the city of Troy isn't a scene that I had ever thought I would want to see in a movie, but it's so compelling. In this one, hundreds of guys are pulling it. You know, it's on a bunch of logs, so they can get it like foot by foot back into the city. Meanwhile, everybody who's in the horse, you see how uncomfortable it is in there. They mentioned that many of them have died from the tides, and they're shitting and pissing on each other. It really becomes like a horrifying and marvelous scene to watch them move this horse back into the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one guy gets stabbed through the thing and they got to cover his mouth lest their mission become compromised. It's like, Eh, it's on the edge of my seat. It's better than the fucking hurt Locker for a portrayal of war and the intensity of it.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. On the point of realism, I also thought there was this assumption that you were familiar with the text, right, So like when Odysseus says he's gonna put wax in his men's ears so they don't hear the sirens, it's not like this sort of climactic realization that he has in a plan. It's almost downplayed where he's like, the audience, you already know this detail, so I'm just gonna breeze by it, right. It's not like he's playing with wax and is like whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: You know, if I can tell one quick story from the Odyssey to illustrate what I mean by embedded narration. Before we hopped on the call, I was showing off Toordano, I was hitting the books in the Odyssey. And there's a classic work of literary criticism called Mymesis by one Eric Auerbach, introduced by Edward say Nice. This book is a study on how authors portray reality across literature, like realism or what have you. And his first chapter is called Odysseus's Scar and it's an incredible chapter, way better than the rest of the book. Let me tell you, this chapter is a fucking masterclass and everyone should read it. But he compares how the Odyssey describes reality and also the divine with how the Book of Genesis describes the sacrifice of Isaac. And basically his point is that the Homeric poets never have you fill in any blanks yourself. Everything is laid out. The narrative voice moves there and will tell you, oh, Zeus was away feacing with the Ethiopians or whatever. Like there's there's very little left open in the way that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they get a shout out.
Speaker 2: And yeah, the most beautiful people on earth.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, awesome. That is my theory.
Speaker 2: This is an aside. That is my theory of why they cast a black actress for Helen of Troy, because there are two claims that you can make that both appear in the Odyssey that or the Iliad or whatever. In ancient Greek literature, Helen was the most beautiful woman face launching in one thousand ships. Also, the mythical Ethiopians were said to be the most beautiful people of them all, so surely Helen must have beam.
Speaker 1: Ah African take that right wing chugs.
Speaker 2: But back to Auerbach, the point is there's a scene in book nineteen of the Odyssey where Odysseus is back on Ithaca and the nurse Euryclea is washing him and she sees the scar on his thigh and instantly, rather than describe her reaction, the poets like, this was a scar that Odysseus got on this hunting exercise, and there's this long, I don't know, ten twenty line description of Odysseus's hunt and how he got this scar before we return to the main action. They love these types of embedded stories. And what I love about it is that Christopher Nolan, it'll work where he needs to cut a twelve hour audiobook to a three hour movie, he keeps both a flashback of Odysseus getting the scar early on in the film, and he keeps the Uruclea scene. It's so good. I think it's a reference to Eric Auerbox. Mymesis. I think he knows the canon of scholarship as well, because you really don't need it, but he kept it. I like to read just a short passage from Eric Auerbox chapter on Odysseus's scar, because it kind of illustrates what he is getting at the interruption, which comes just at the point when the housekeeper recognizes the scar, that is at the moment of crisis, describes the origin of the scar, a hunting accident which occurred in Odysseus's boyhood at a boar hunt during the time of his visit to his grandfather Autolicus. This first affords an opportunity to inform the reader about Autolicus, his house, the precise degree of the kinship, his character, and no less exhaustively than touchingly his behavior after the birth of his grandson. Then follows the visit of odia Phisius, now grown to be a youth, the exchange of greetings, the banquet with which he is welcomed, sleep and waking, the early start for the hunt, the tracking of the beast, the struggle Odysseus is being wounded by the boar's tusk, his recovery, his return to Ithaca, his parents' anxious questions. All is narrated again with such a complete externalization of all the elements of the story and of their interconnections as to leave nothing in obscurity. Not until then does the narrator return to Penelope's chamber. Not until then, the digression having run its course, does Euryclea, who had recognized the scar before the digression began, let Odysseus's foot fall back into the basin. And Auerbach goes on to explain that some modern readers think that this is a device to increase suspense, but he says, even if that is not wholly wrong, it's not the essential explanation of a Homeric procedure. Rather, he says, quoting again, the crisis and the suspense must continue, must remain vibrant in the background. But Homer, and to this we shall return later, knows no background. What he narrates is for the time being, the only present, and fills both the stage and the reader's mind completely. So that's the kind of stuff that Homer is doing that I think Christopher Nolan picks up on in an interesting way.
Speaker 1: Sweet, all right, let's move on to themes.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think we need to begin with Zenia aka Zeus's law. I already said in the intro fantastically important concept for the ancient Greeks. The whole Trojan War started as a campaign to write someone violating the rules of Zenia, with Paris kidnapping Helen Slash, maybe her going of her own volition. In the Greek mind, if you violate guest home friendship, there will be divine retribution. And this is all over the film, right the Cyclops story, the suitors constantly violating Zenia, overstaying they're welcome to respecting the house, plotting to kill Telemachus. It's all over. It's reinforced by their mythology because there's plenty of stories involving a god disguising themselves as a beggar or an old person and testing humans, which we see on multiple occasions in the film. When Odysseus is dressed as a beggar, someone says, oh, you know, that could be a god. Right. It is a foundational law of the ancient Greeks, which Christopher Nolan turns into the foundational law for the ancient Greeks.
Speaker 1: The ancient Greeks wrote, what if God was one of us? There you go, just a beggar on the Deaos.
Speaker 2: But what Nolan does with this thing is pretty interesting because he makes the Trojan horse itself the instigating event of all of this action. For Odes's journey Home and one of the most iconic episodes in Greek mythology. He changes this or interprets it as a violation of Zeus's law aka Zanea.
Speaker 1: Yeah this was weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no one in the ancient world would have viewed it this way. Right. The Achaeans were an invading army. They were not guests of the Trojans.
Speaker 1: We broke a gift law. You know, gifts are always supposed to be made in good faith. Yeah, you're not supposed to break gifting law.
Speaker 2: We regifted something it was not good.
Speaker 1: Definitely one of the lesser gods that has a purview over gifts and gift etiquette.
Speaker 2: And so what pissed the gods off to no end was what the Greeks did after they got into the city. It wasn't how they got into the city that was the problem. It was what they did once they got in there. Right. It is a brutal sack, a lot of murder, a lot of enslaving, a lot of sexual violence. Most famously, the prophetesque Cassandra is sexually assaulted by Ajax, the lesser One. Ajax is the tallest guy in Troy. We need to be clear. It is the shorter Ajax who committed this act of hate and sexual violence as she high for sanctuary in Athenis Temple, which puts a big target on the Greek hero's back as they travel back to Greece.
Speaker 1: You've mentioned Cassandra as a stand in word for someone who's prophetic. I guess this is the Cassandra they're referring to.
Speaker 2: Is the very one? Yeah, And so the Greeks themselves did recognize that what their ancestors had done to Troy was a profound moral wrong. There's a bunch of plays about this, you can see. Euripides and Seneca both wrote plays called the Women of Troy, which is a tragedy told from the perspective of the women who are about to be sold into slavery, and Eschylus's Aristea describes the slaughter in some detail and says it may have been one of the causes of Agamemnon's death. Right. So Christopher Nolan takes this thing that is there in the text and he applies it to the Trojan Horse, which will lead directly to our second theme, the end of the world. And this is what Christopher Nolan has decided to center his odyssey on This is a very twenty twenty six ass take here. It's the end of the world, it's the apocalypse. You know, I couldn't help but notice that one of those Trojan towers fell exactly like a nine to eleven tower and pancaked straight down right. Jet fuel can't melt bronze beams. You know.
Speaker 1: The second Troy was an inside jump. I mean you've just mentioned that, like Seneca is writing his own version of Troy, so it seems like it is kind of in the tradition of these Homeric works to put your own spin on it in a later retelling.
Speaker 2: Oh of course you're supposed to any one of these people who get butt hurt over the fact that, like Agamemnon is dressed up like Darth Vader, and that's not period accurate. He's a batman Darth Vader BDSM Hoplight. You want to know how fifth century Greeks portrayed Odysseus as a fifth century Greek hoplight. I didn't portray him with the boar tusk helmet that Homer describes, or in like the actual Bronze Age armor that we might know from engravings. Of the ancient Nearies. Degen Athenians didn't know what that fucking looked like, so they portrayed him in their clothes. I think a lot of ancient people would actually be pretty mortified with this obsession with fidelity, considering how they are always adapting it to suit whatever needs they want.
Speaker 1: I remember when the original like stills came out of this movie of like Matt Damon in the clearly poplight armor from like Alexander's Day basically, and there was like a lot of uproar about that, where were like, nah, that's not right, But seeing it in the movie, you're like, aesthetically, it's the coolest Greek armor. It's so fucking sick.
Speaker 2: The mohawk.
Speaker 1: They were really cooking on, like the aesthetics of the look in the classical period. I'm not sure that really would have been the case in the Bronze Age period. I'm going to Minoa for a wedding out over, I'll look at some of the armor and report back.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna put something in the chat. This is what Bronze Age armor looked like in the Greek world. It's called the dendra panople. If you're listening, open up your smartphone, go to Wikipedia to look up the Dendra Panople and look at how fucking goofy this looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this looks stupid as hell. The Greek armor we know of is just it looks great. It looks cool. You can't beat it. It looks better than legionary armor.
Speaker 2: Even whoa, whoa, those are big words. It literally has skirts of overlapping bronze plates. It's very round, it's very cylindrical. It does not look cool. But let's get back to our theme here, the end of the World. Okay, this is kind of one of the worst bits of the film because Chris Nolan is trying to show off that he knows about the Bronze Age collapse significantly. It is not anywhere in the Iliad or Odyssey. There's no c peoples. The poets of the Dark Ages knew so little about the Greek Bronze Age. They had vague notions from their you know, handed down oral tradition. The most famous example in the Iliad, the heroes use chariots, classic Bronze Age maneuver. Battle of Kadesh between the Hittites and the Egyptians, the largest chariot battle of all time, but the poets of the Dark Age don't know how chariots work. So the Homerican trojan heroes ride on the chariots. They don't fight from them. They ride up and then they hop off and they have a one v one fight on the battlefield, like there aren't even phalanxes in Homeric warfare is just one v one little Homeric duels. Because that's probably what this fucking Dark Ages, Greek almost Viking like society would have looked like, given that they don't even understand what the world looked like, they certainly weren't aware of how it ended and don't describe that at all. Like I said up top, the poems reflect the Greek Dark Ages, So even if there was a Troy that burned down, the world that the poems described looks nothing like the Bronze Age that we dig up through our chaeology. Here's another example for good measure. The Greek Bronze Age had a system of writing called linear b which people were able to translate only in the nineteen fifties relatively recently, and what they discovered was not literature, was not lines of homer or poetry. They found inventory lists in a palace, redistributive economy. It looked nothing like the worlds of the poems. And you know what you don't see anywhere in the Homeric poems, fucking writing. There is actually one instance of writing written symbols in the Homeric text, and it is from book six of the Iliad. In unembedded story, a character named Bellerophon is given tokens, which are called murderous signs in the Fagals translation scratched into a folded tablet, and many of them too enough to kill a man. He was told to show them to Antea's father, and that would mean his death. So the only writing we see described in these texts ostensibly about the Greek Bronze Age, in which there was a great deal of writing, is this one instance where it's some kind of magic murderous signs of some kind. So the movie finds a way to work in the Bronze Age collapse into the Odyssey. So many characters name drop the sea peoples, and they find a way to work it into every aspect of the story.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It affects Telemachus and Penelope because the search for Ithacus new King is that much more dire we need a king to raise an army and motivate the people to fight the Sea People's. It affects Menelais because he says he can't send men to help Telemachus out because of the Sea Peoples. And then there's the big reveal at the end of the story that the Sea Peoples were the Greeks who knocked over Troy. Right. I read this line as a big I Am Legend style twist in the same way that will Smith was the monster to the Vampire's spoiler alert, the Greeks who are so afraid of the sea people's ten years on from the Trojan War have not yet realized that they are in fact the seed People's.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you read this is basically like they do Troy, and on the way home they've done a bunch of destruction in their boats and essentially like the stories that they're hearing are of the Trojan heroes returning.
Speaker 2: I think that's part of it. I think the film is trying to say that once Odysseus has let the genie out of the bottle with the trick of the Trojan War by violating Zeus's law in the world of the film, then everyone is going to feel that way. It's going to become a crueler, less law bound, more barbarous worlds. That's basically how I read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that a combination of you know, you've broken Zeus's law and now sort of like fragile etiquette that our society survives on is gone, and now we're going to descend into a dark age, or the concept of like you've cursed us all by breaking Zeus's law, that like things are just gonna continue to get worse for us, which I thought was an interesting take. I think you get the sense that like these Greeks, like they live on these rocky islands, and they need trade and like maritime travel to survive, and if you take away this guest host etiquette, then like the whole system falls apart, like you don't have the farming infrastructure to support the society. And I found that he alluded to it too directly and too often.
Speaker 2: He's trying to link everything together. He's trying to link together the fixation with proper guest host etiquette with his knowledge of the Bronze Age collapse, while also making Odysseus into Oppenheimer who feels guilt at having changed the words in this irrevocable way. I'll just read this quote that I got. It's gonna be hard to find drops for this one because the thing's still in theater, so I'll just read this. This is when Odysseus is talking to Penelope as a beggar, and this really does put the whole bow on what Christopher Nolan's Odyssey film is about. He says, what if the Odysseus you knew, lost his way? What if one night in a strange city, he saw things that made him think the home he knew couldn't possibly be there anymore. What if when he left the belly of the horse, it opened the gates of Troy. He saw ten years of rage pour into that city in one night. We left them a gift on offering of peace that they took into their home. We violated all that's ever been sacred between people. It turned a fight into a hunt. To burn the walls of Troy was to burn the world entire. I'm not gonna lie. That line did give me chills.
Speaker 1: Mm HM. Reminded me.
Speaker 2: There's that line from the Koran that's like he who ends a life ends ten thousand or something. Like that right, like to burn the walls of Troy was to burn the world entire, including his home. What if he knew that very night as he walked through fires, anarchy, and pain, and in the daze of sweaty celebrations that follow, what if he knew exactly what he done? And Penelope says, what all of you had done? He responds, one man's idea, one man's trick to break Zeus's law forever. We lived in a world of palaces and trade language, blind to its beauty until we broke it. That's the line that loses me. Right. I went from chills at the moral reckoning of by burning Troy, we burn the entire world to like, shut the fuck up, Christopher Nolan, like we lived in a word of language. I haven't seen anyone write or read. Penelope, you are the people from the sea, yes, my queen. The breaking of Zeus's law spreading like plague. Our age of Bronze is collapsing, and maybe he couldn't bear to see the ruins of what he'd done anywhere, least of all his home. That is the film in a nutshell, because that monologue is delivered as we see images of the sack of Troy, and it is simultaneously so fucking powerful in so many ways and also so goddamn lame. When he mentions the Bronze Age collapse, it just has to weave that in there you don't need it.
Speaker 1: And has to say it so directly.
Speaker 2: M hmm, right, the worst lines of the film. And it's funny that like Nolan actually can't help but undercut himself where we don't see anyone write anything in the film, but you know what we do see instead, we see Bard Travis Scott. He is the opening lines of the film is the Bard in the hall telling the poems of Troy. He can't help but accidentally recreate the Greek dark Ages. It is retelling. Okay. Third theme and these are all kind of interconnected here, which is nice is trauma and guilt. Like you saw from that monologue I read, Odysseus is traumatized from what he's done and he feels guilty. One of the only Greek gods or goddesses who make an on screen appearance in the film is Zendiah's Athena, but is played brilliantly ambiguously where she appears to him, she never really comes out and says, I am Athena. And it's only revealed at the very end that the priestess who sacrificed right on the altar of Athena before the Athena statue's head is cut off, is Zendia. So his guilt is manifesting as this apparition of Athena, who is the priestess who is murdered in the sack of Troy that he helped enable, and the guilt and trauma of Odysseus informs the entire frame device. So why was he crushing the Xanax flower on Xanadu Island is because midway through the film is revealed that when he landed on Calypso's island, she was able to heal his body, but not his mind. He was having night terrors, just screaming, and so she had to feed him the lotus flower to give him the memory erasing amnesia stuff. And the storytelling him retelling his story is him trying to process the grief and the trauma that he suffered.
Speaker 1: Interested I'd say a good take, and it's.
Speaker 2: Also one that's grounded in scholarship. So another book, very famous book is Jonathan Shay's Achilles in Vietnam from nineteen ninety four, and it argued that Achilles in the Iliade shows many of the symptoms of what we would now call post traumatic stress disorder. Jonathan Say has both an MD and a PhD. Is one of those books you don't really need to read. You need to read about ten pages of it to be like, ye, yeah, I get it. But there's been a lot of really good work since then that basically argued that before formalized psychiatry or psychology, Greeks used literature, in particularly theater, to articulate and process feelings around post traumatic stress. And if this sounds a little woo woo for you, I would remind you that in order to sit in the Athenian Theater, you had to be a citizen, and to be a citizen, you had to serve in the military. And so everyone there, actors, rectors, performers, audience members. They were all veterans who had seen combat, and a lot of their plays are about returning from combat, and like coming back into society are about martial things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Odysseus, he's got a hard time coming back into society. In his movie, he even says it out loud. At one point, He's like, I'm back here, and I don't know if it's like just to trick you guys, or if I'm actually just having a hard time reintegrating myself.
Speaker 2: Sou that was kind of lame when he looked directly at the camerons and you know, the body keeps the score. I thought that was kind of lame. But yeah, like Jonathan Shane his book pointed out that Achilles in the Iliot has a bunch of the symptoms of PTSD.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: He has emotional withdrawal, He is the inability to trust leadership. He has survivor's guilt after Petrocolus dies. He has uncontrollable rage, he does emotional numbing, He has an obsession with revenge, and an inability to return to normal human relationships. I think a lot of those would equally apply to Odysseus in this film, right, Yeah, emotional withdrawal, survival guilt, a little bit of uncontrollable rage, only some numbing, inability to return to normal human relationships. So yeah, even his over the top violence at the end is kind of like a PDSD going berserk there, right. Chrispher Nolan has chosen this one particular element to really crank the fuck up. Odysseus in the Odyssey is not nearly this sad and guilt ridden, but I think it works for the story that he is trying to tell, which is, once again, can't stress this enough. He's Oppenheimer and the Trojan Horse is the atomic bombit he feels.
Speaker 1: Our next theme is I guess the concept of like greed or desire at all, right, desire of any kind for money, for food, horniness less so in this movie, but like I walked away from this movie thinking he was very much like a moral lesson where you break some kind of like moral rule where you want something and you're punished for it. Them getting turned into pigs was the clearest example where it's like, yeah, you're eating too much, you're being gluttonous, you know, and you're going to turn into a pig as a result of it.
Speaker 2: When she turned them back and was like back into your disguises, I was like, fucking bars, y know, the real costume is the man flesh. We're all fucking pigs on the inside.
Speaker 1: Men and their desires. You know, they took the cyclops food, they're punished for it, even when he's trying to hear the sirens song. You know, like at first it's pleasurable for him, but like very quickly is like a horrifying scene and they ask him what it's like, and he says, you know, it's like finding out there's an itch that you've never been able to scratch.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's heartbreaking what he says. He's like, it is the thing that you want most but you can't have, and the reason that you can't have it is that you used to have it and now it's gone where it's like, yeah, man, remember that first time you were in love. That's the siren song. Remember when you back didn't hurt all the time? Siren song? Baby. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There was just like so much of this moral lesson where you know he has to learn something to grow and like become better, but then also he just doesn't internalize the lessons often, like it kind of a story about him indulging himself and paying the price for it, even with the suitors at the end, you know, you get the sense that like he could have probably done this without killing all the suitors, because at one point he tells Telemachus to tell Penelope like, just pick a suitor so they can all go home. We can just deal with one of them. And he doesn't follow that plan. He decides to kill a lot of them. And the point of the original plan was so that their families don't all come here looking for revenge. And it's like, well, what happened to that plan? You just couldn't help yourself, could you. Odysseus, you know, he never internalized this lesson and as a result he's exiled for it. Yet half it's a little bit of a you can't fire me because I quit the situation with the exile, you know where He's like, well, actually I always wanted to go away and never come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Telemachus could be king now I killed all the competition.
Speaker 1: Second last theme, fate and predestination and hubris. Yes.
Speaker 2: One thing that's kind of unique for Greek mythology, especially compared to say like Christian, Abrahamic whatever religion, is that they have this meta divine thing called fate. There's a scene in the Iliad where Zeus sees that one of his sons, dude named Sarpedon, a trojan. I've always said Sarpedon because I think it's funnier that way is about to eat it on the battlefield, and Zeus's reaction is like, damn, that sucks because he's faded to die. And even Zeus, the absolute top tier god mode god, can't fuck around with that. So there are certain things that are going to happen, have to happen, are written in the Fates and Stars. The one Christian God is not bound by this meta divine thing called fate in the Christian view. Interestingly, the Odyssey text is actually way less in on fate. Like I read you those opening lines where it said his men didn't get home because of their own decisions, because the Odyssey is so much more folkloric. What happens to you are the result of your choices. It's consequences for your actions, because so many of these stories have this moralizing bent. But I think Christopher Nolan takes a little bit of that kind of fate angle from the I and implants it into the Odyssey. You also have this different notion of hubris, this like arrogant transgression against the gods. Right, gods can't go against fate. Humans can't go against gods. That's hubris. Most famously figures like Tantalus or Icarus or Sisiphus, or Phyton or Arachne. You think you're better than the gods, you will get your just fucking desserts. It's the boundary for mortals that can't be crossed. And crafty Odysseus is always walking right up to the line of hubris in myth and he's trying to cheat the rules in some way, shape or form. And in our contemporary world, and even in like the modern world of the late nineteenth century, we don't like this shit, especially Americans. We don't like limits. We did a whole thing on our Neo Westerns episode, but the frontier in the limit that we don't like. So in the nineteenth century, in modernity, Odysseus becomes a figure that's associated with adventure and pushing limits.
Speaker 1: Crafty Teddy Roosevelt found out that you could move the frontier to Puerto Rico and the Philippines, and then you.
Speaker 2: Can get all the molasses you wanted all year round. I can't remember if I read some of this poem on our Oh Brother, We're art that episode or not on the Patreon whatever. I'm doing it again. This is a few lines from Tennyson's poem Ulysses, where he writes, come, my friends, 'tis not too late to seek a newer world. Push off and sitting well in order smite the sounding furrows. For my purpose holds to sail beyond the sunset and the baths of all the western stars until I die. It may be that gulfs will wash us down. It may be that we touch the happy aisles and see the great Achilles whom we knew. Though much is taken, much abides. And though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth in heaven that which we are we are one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. In the nineteenth century, Odysseus is a Victorian imperialist explorer. This guy who goes on all these horrible voyages is a sign of the curious the adventurous, which is all the more ironic because all he wanted to do was get fucking home. The Victorians wanted to get away from their shady, rainy island. And this movie right, talking about fate and hubris and all this shit has many instances in which Odysseus or some other character quite literally talks about going against the gods or proving the gods wrong. Odysseus is told like, listen, your men ain't gonna make it. It's like I can make him make it. I can fix it. Right, He's constantly resisting these boundaries that are set by fate or the gods, because that's the Odysseus that we fucking like. And what I think is particularly modern about it is that even though Odysseus largely fails, right, try as he might to go against the gods save his men, he can't, we are meant to see the struggle itself as valiant and right. A Greek would not read it this way. It's also there and how he changes the ending of the film too, Right, he's gonna sail off to the Great West. He's gonna keep exploring. Nolan's Odysseus, I feel is almost as indebted to Tennyson, that poet of Empire, as it is to Homer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit more on fate. I also thought it was interesting, like his men find out at one point that they're not gonna make it. They're like, hmm, it seems like Odysseus comes back and he's like, Okay, guys, I have good news that I have bet news. The good news is I'm going to make it home. And his men seem to be like, why are we continuing to do this? Mm hmm. It seems like the answer is just like, well, what else are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Why should we row to another scary island with some fresh new horror for us?
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to our last theme, human divine relations.
Speaker 2: Yes, just like how the film portrays magic in the gods right on our pageun episode about Troy. One of our biggest complaints was how completely demystified it was zero gods and goddesses in the film, and it suffers for it zero magic. But Christopher Nolan does something fucking brilliant. He keeps all the magic so like Circe turning men into pigs, he keeps the monsters in the form of the cyclops Lystergroonian sirens, but he treats the Greek gods and goddesses like a dimmer switch. It's not all the way off, but we've turned it down to low. There's no Hermes, no zeus, no Poseidon, and Athena's role is way cut down, like she has long dialogues with Telemachus and Penelope and Odysseus in the poem Zandia has something like five minutes of screen time in this film. What he does do is he has the characters talk about the gods and what they want and what they expect, and then he uses the vibes to imply their existence. So whether that storms or becalmed winds when you don't want them, it's the natural world. Are the gods? Who gives a shit? Because they feel real to these people? Right? You hurt Poseidon's son, and now the seas are fucked Fuck it. Poseidon might as well be real at that point. He uses the world in the environment to make them feel real to the viewer, just like they are to the characters. It's a great immersive way of putting the viewer in the world of the protagonist. And it reminds me in a good way of the Northmen by Eggers. Right, our Valkyrie is real. Who gives a shit? Feel real?
Speaker 1: They're real? Yeah, exactly. One of my complaints about the movie, Troy was when Hector says bird signs, we're basing our battle plans off bird signs, right, like making fun of omens, And it's like someone from the era would not have thought that was as ridiculous as Hector does in this scene. Right, Yeah, they're ridiculous, but to these people, they're real.
Speaker 2: It literally decided whether Rome would be Rome or Reem. It's how Romulus and Remus chose.
Speaker 1: Right, seven birds now or fourteen birds later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm kidding it would have been called Remorra. That was the actual name. It's not realm Reim just sounds funny, Okay, I don't want some petant in the comments getting after me and telling me that Avid said it would have been called Remorra.
Speaker 1: In this movie, there also is sort of two worlds where it's like there's the magic world where they're going from island to island, and then there's also the real world. And for me, like the visual cue that kind of reminded me of when they switched to the real world was at one point, Odysseus like washes up on the shore of Ithica and when he stands up, he has all of these like leaves sticking to his back and it's just sort of this like annoying, ugly problem that you suddenly become aware of that would not have happened in a prior scene, Like you wouldn't have seen like dirt stick to someone in quite such a realistic way. But as soon as I saw that, like I think subconsciously, I was like, oh, he's back in it, Like he's back in the real world. He's no longer in like a magical realm just because he's dirty in like a real way.
Speaker 2: It's earthier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh and how did I forget to mention the afterlife exists if you want to talk about like magic in the world. Right, So few miscellaneous things some things I think make this adaptation so great. Nolan had to cut a hell of a lot from the source material to make the film work as a film, But the way that he can allude to famous episodes or incorporate them in interesting ways, this is the real like if you know, you know, I guess, But like we cut the whole Lotus Eaters scene because it would have been repetitive with another spooky island that we sailed to and then sail away from, but we incorporate it into Odysseus's frame story, which also ties into the theme of grief and trauma, right, brilliant. A lesser one like Athena disguising herself as Mentor and guiding Telemachus to go out is alluded to where Telemachus says to Mentor, you have wise eyes like Athena's eyes. Ahh, you see, like Athena's epithet is gray eyed Athena. So it's referencing the thing. And like I already said, Odysseus saying those songs make me cry is referencing a cut scene at the Fiatian's dinner party. Right. He did such a brilliant job of moving stuff around, keeping what matters, having these clever allusions to the things that get lost, while still like keeping his eye on the prize of the version of the story that he wanted to tell. I don't know, I think it's fucking incredible. I've seen a few people be mad about it, but they suck. They're bad, they're wrong.
Speaker 1: I like that he kept the dog story in His dog stays alive just long enough for like a single visit and then he dies. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oot, there are some big things that are missing, like not everything. Not everything is alluded to cleverly like. One of the most famous scenes in the Odyssey is when Odysseus chats with the dead. It is a long scene in the poem, it's a full book. It's one twenty fourth of the thing. So the movie heat chats with Tyresius, the seer sign on the Elliott Page character who isn't in the Odyssey but is in Virgil's Aneia, and Agamemnon in the poem. Is a long fucking list. So he talks to elpinor the guy Menchu who drunkenly fell off the house and died. He talks to his own mother, who died of a broken heart while he was away. Heartbreaking stuff. He talks to a bunch of famous wives and women from myths, you know, some real woke nonsense from Homer. Here Agamemnon Achilles is the most famous one who got cut. He talks to Ajax, he talks to Heracles. In this actual scene acts as a kind of catalog of myths. Remember I said the ili is very episodic, so if you're singing one particular episode, this would have been a great way to get all of the greatest hits of mythology. In the afterlife telling their life stories like, for one example, is the earliest brief description of the story of Oedipus, right, his mother is one of the famous wives slash mothers from myths. But there's also a lot of stuff to cut here. Sure, I was just kind of hoping we'd get Achilles talk about how much better it is to be alive than dead, because it's one of my favorite scenes in the Odyssey. But what are you gonna do? Odysseus's dad, Laertes gets cut. They have a nice reunion in Ithaca. He's like a broken old man when he gets there. And like I already said, most of the face to face interaction with the gods gets cut, and the whole other island with the facians that gets cut. The Fightian lovers are in absolute shambles. The bag of winds, the bag of winds gets cut. Another magic bag of wind It's exactly what sounds like a magic bag full of winds that one of his idiot crewmen opens at an inopportune time.
Speaker 1: I had a couple of miscellaneous questions for you. Sure, Okay, So someone early on in this movie says, well, you know, the Trojan War wasn't really about Hell, and it was about trade routes, almost like a rock war style, like you know, the Trojan War was really actually all about olive oil.
Speaker 2: I fucking hate that. Like, yes, there was a historic city on the site of Troy. Yes there is a destruction layer. You can say that safely, Like that's kind of the limit of what you can say. I don't think you can get into any reason why it was burned or even safely say who burned it down.
Speaker 1: In the Iliad itself, there are no references to like well Agamenmon or menilais like they were just doing this as a pretext, like Helen was a pretext for something they wanted to do anyway, No.
Speaker 2: Because they leave, right, they take her back and they leave, they take a bunch of plunder and slaves and women. But like Troy did this as well, where it's like, oh, they want to add Troy to their empire, and it's like it's a dark aged poem. There wasn't empire building yet. You go and you get your loot and you come back and you're a big guy with the fucking war on your resume. I hate this word because it is real pedance court of shit but this is like highly anachronistic. I laughed out loud so hard in the movie theater, as did my friends. When there's a scene all the suitors are trying to string the bow and the beggar steps up to try. I think Edward Colin is like, no, you can't, and then someone from the crowd yells he's got a right to try. We were like, is that like another beggar who's like, all so trying to fuck to the queen? What is the right to try? Everyone gets a shot at the challenge the contest. It wouldn't be fair otherwise.
Speaker 1: Another great line, almost kind of winking at the audience, is someone says the line We'll be glad to have brought a bard if we run into trouble.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that line. When is that.
Speaker 1: I think it's when he goes to visit Agamemmon potentially, or when he's going with Mentor. I think they decide to bring a bard, and maybe Mentor says like, we'll be glad to have brought a bard if we run into trouble. I just love the pretext of being like, well, if you know we're in like a tight spot, we can always be like, hey, you don't want to kill us. We've got a guy who goes to the epic stories. Yeah, we can entertain you. It's like the guest right thing, Like you better show up with some stories too, if you show up at someone's house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: I was also concerned too, Like, okay, so one of the very first scenes of this movie, if not it's maybe the second scene is Elliott Page getting stabbed through the chest with a spear. I was wondering if this was Christopher Nolan at first, being like, oh, yeah, I have one transactor in this movie and I'm going to stab them in the first scene. But Elliot Page actually has a pretty big role in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a character who's in virgils in the end. It's the character who needs to be left behind to make the ruse stick sign on, And in order to make the ruse stick sign on, is himself betrayed by the Greeks where they don't tell him about the whole trick, so he thinks that it's real, right, lies all the way down.
Speaker 1: Last question, did they really row those big ass boats? They had oars? They can make those boats move with human power?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Really?
Speaker 1: Wow? Incredible.
Speaker 2: There is a Bronze Age shipwreck, the Ulu Bu Run shipwreck, late fourteenth century BCE. It's got a sail in the model. I'm not an expert on fucking Bronze Age boats or what have you. This may be another instance of anachronism. I know, by the time you get to the Classical age, there's a mix of sail power and rowing power, like people famously remember like the Greek trirem from the classical era where they got the three rows of them. But yeah, I think they'd use yours to get around when the wind's not going your way.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool. Closing thoughts on the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: I fucking loved it. We've talked about what makes a historical adaptation good a lot on this pod because we've now done so many fucking period pieces, not just Classical but other and the most important thing is the vibes, not the accuracy. And Christopher Nolan, I think absolutely fucking crushes the vibes, at least for the version of the story that he wants to tell. Does it perfectly capture the vibes of the Homeric poem, No, but all of the vibes that he has chosen to accentuate are present in some way, shape or form in the poem. If I have a criticism, it's that his cleverness is something of a double edged sword. Sometimes. The guy's British. He went to a private boarding school called the Haileybury and Imperial Service College, where I'm sure they absolutely fucking worshiped the classics and the you know, quote unquote canon of Western literature. Tea. I'm pretty sure he's well read on Homer and the stuff around Homer.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I'm ninety nine percent sure that the inclusion of Odysseus's scar scenes are there for the people who really know Eric auerbox my misis super well, and he interweaves various retellings of Odysseus into his own composite thing, which is cool, like a little bit of that Tennyson Odysseus getting in there. But the cleverness of the double edged sword because it led him to the acid nine fall of the Bronze Age stuff that we have complained about, which is a little too didactic and expository. But yeah, check out our Troy episode for more on this, particularly what makes a bad adaptation And oh, brother art thou as well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ben goes through a lot of the Iliad on Troy and Oh Brother art Thou is like a two thousand's version of the Odyssey, you could say, And so we get into it in the historical setting a lot on those episodes because we didn't know. Actually we talk about this movie coming out later on Oh Brother Worarth Yeah, and just yeah, Troy, it gets a lot of the themes wrong. It's a lot about like glory and Greek nationalism, and it just like doesn't come out quite right.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Also a little pedance corner for me, remember shuffle pedance corner. You said this was our first episode, not on the two thousands. I'll have to remind you about our Soviet history episode, which we've also done on the Patreon.
Speaker 2: I said, on the main feed. But yes, on the main feed. Oh I see.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so Troy and O Brother Arthou on the Patreon go check those out, Okay, Ben, I got to ask you who you got Iliad or Odyssey? You got to keep one on the Desert Island on Calypso's Island. Which one you're going with?
Speaker 2: I am going Iliod? I'm sorry, Yeah, I find that the Telemachus bits. Really lag took me a really long time to sit down and just fucking read the Odyssey. The Iliod's great because it's an anti war work. It's about how war turns human beings into meat. I think Achilles is the first character in literature or European literature. Let's say we got a really strong care character. It is a meditation on death, which is a universal human experience. I don't know if the poetry is more beautiful, but it's got some really beautiful fucking poetry. I will say that the Odyssey has some really fucking high highs. The adventure shit, these are iconic scenes. These are some of the scenes that are most people's first interaction with Greek mythology. If you read some of these children's books like Edith Hamilton or Dolaire's Greek Myths or whatever, the stuff that's adapted for children, like, you're gonna read about the fucking cyclops, right, So it's really hard to divorce it from that. But I've spent a lot more time with the Iliad, teaching it, reading it in English and in Greek. It's one that I really like. It's about rage, It's about getting rid of rage or It's about how rage will destroy you and those around you, and it needs to be wrestled.
Speaker 1: With sweet Well, check out the Try episode for more on that. And yeah, we'll see you later. Hopefully you didn't have wax and years for this one, you know. Tie me to the mast while I listen or remember shuffle.
Speaker 2: As always, Please like, subscribe, write us a comment, call me out if I got something wrong. I don't believe in pure credentialism. It's been a while since I've been in grad school. I've been on the Calypso's island of the real world, not reading ancient Greek anymore. So non zero chance I got something wrong. Call me out respectfully and check out our Patreon. We got shit, man. We must be at sixteen episodes there now, there's some great stuff, including some Homer stuff there.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, see you later.
Speaker 2: Touch out all