Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. All right, we're here with an All Star outfielder, an All star smile, and he has the second most votes right now among National League outfielders, and that is the one and only ti Oscar Hernandez Tayo. Thanks a lot for the time. Always great to catch up with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Do you know that you have the second most votes among outfielders in the National League?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so something on social media. You know, my family listen to it, so I know everything that is happening right now. So I appreciate all the people that both for me and give me the support to try and to get me to the All Star so we can continue to do our job here and you know, trying to make those people properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, when you're stepping in the batter's box, you're not thinking about that. But how much does it mean to you that the fans have voted so many times for you already?
Speaker 2: And men's alat I mean, Dodgers fans are the best. They know they already know that already. Be insane. In almost two years I have been here, Uh, you know, but especially when you know how many people you have behind your backs giving you the sport and everything that you need to just to continue to do and produce for the Dodge.
Speaker 1: I know fans in LA and they don't just care about how many home runs you hit or how many runs you drive in. It's the spirit that you play with and I feel like that's part of the reason why everybody in LA loves ta Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I always said my job here is trying to be the best player, the best teammate, and to do things to help with these same wins. So that's the only thing that I care about. At the end of the day, I'm the All Sorry game, that's great. But if now I'm just going to to continue to do my job here and just trying to be in another championship to l A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Back to back champions that's the goal for the Dodgers. And I know with the All Stars comes with maybe defending your home run derby championship. What would sway you to do it again or is that even something that you would consider.
Speaker 2: I was considered in at the beginning, but not right now. I think I'm not gonna do it this year. I live this year, maybe next year because last year when I finished the Human Derby, I was a little t tired, tight, My body was a little tired, and with injury that I have am I growing this year. I don't want to put anything on risk in the season, so I'm gonna stay put and now participating this year.
Speaker 1: That makes sense ta Oscar Hernandez putting the Dodgers ahead of all that. Okay, So there's a chance that your little brother Andy pa Has could make the All Star team. He certainly has earned it. Would you encourage him to take your place in the home run Derby?
Speaker 2: I already talked to him. He said no, he's not gonna do but yeah, hopefully he made the All Star Game. He well deserved to be there and being starting there for the those tar games. So hopefully people keep voting for him and making No Star.
Speaker 1: Tayo, so much has been talked about you being a mentor to Andy Pott has what has made you the most proud about the way his season has taken off.
Speaker 2: You know, he's he's a guy that he's listening to now only to me, He listened to everybody. He takes the best advices from everybody and trying to put it on the on the field. He's been learning a lot, He's been putting a lot of work. He's been working really hard right now just to get better, to you know, do the things that he know he can do. Uh, And he's I think he's already proving himself. He's doing a great job and he's helping this team a lot.
Speaker 1: All right. Before I let you go, I talked about the spirit that you play with, and you're so inclusive and such a great teammate. You started the sunflower seeds when guys came back after the home runs. But how about this now your teammates have grabbed the sunflower seed bag from you and are playing with the same spirit. How happy are you that it's become contagious to be unselfish.
Speaker 2: That's what makes me feel really really good about myself, you know. You just bringing that energy to my teammates, to this team, and seeing my teammates doing the same thing, That's what this is all about. For me. That's way better than everything that is going on on the field. So I'm really proud of myself, oh, my teammates and the things that we have accomplimts.
Speaker 1: How would you rate O Tani grabbing the sunflower seeds and throwing them to you.
Speaker 2: You know, you're just trying to make everybody do the same thing. You know, have fun and enjoy it everything, every single things that happen to oh, my teammates and to myself.
Speaker 1: So everybody has their own style of how they throw the sunflower seeds.
Speaker 2: Yeah they sell me, but they know their own. But you know, at the end of the day, just to give that energy that puts it the energy and to make our teammates feel the same way that we feel when they do good.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time. Dodger fans need to keep voting for Tea Oscar Hernandez. This smile needs to be in Atlanta with the starters with the National League All Star Team. Thanks a lot, Tayo.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it.