Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Auntie and I'm Brian and we'reh spirals. So welcome to our first episode of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Know we made that piggy promise that we were going to do an episode a month, but I mean you pointed out that probably wasn't gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's early March. We're pretty damn close.
Speaker 1: I know today is mark second.
Speaker 2: As we're making it, as we're.
Speaker 1: Recording, so but we do have news, and I think that's what we were waiting for before we made this episode, like solid news.
Speaker 2: To do the thing and then make the.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about it. Yeah, yeah, I think we might have alluded to the thing on our last episode of twenty twenty four. But anyways, the thing is, we have a new single out on digital services. It's actually a new version of a slightly older song.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Twenty twenty two, I believe is when we Call came out, and yeah, it was a song that was I felt like we didn't hit the mark of what I had in mind or we had in mind. It happens, yeah, I mean, and since twenty twenty two have gotten better. Yeah, even though we're older, still learning new things. And yeah, I was able to finally finish the song correctly and give it. There's just a lot of dumb little problems that we've just been naggedy all these years. So we've addressed the problems and made the song even better.
Speaker 1: I know, at a certain point in the process, I'm like, why are we doing this? Is anyone even gonna notice or care? But the thing is we notice, yeah, and we care. So then we were like stuck with what do we call this new version of the call? Yeah, yeah, so we're first I was just calling it like twenty twenty five mix or whatever, but that seems kind of weak. Yeah, so I came upon this. I came upon this term VIP mix, which means variance in production, and it's generally used by producers that make a different mix of their own song a lot of times as part of like their DJ career.
Speaker 2: Drum and bass or type guys.
Speaker 1: You know, even though this isn't a drum and bassed song, I think we.
Speaker 2: Can use the kind of mindset but very even though our music doesn't sound very idiom, but you use a lot of electronic music production techniques.
Speaker 1: And are oh yeah, I think people would be surprised by some of the techniques that were used to to change some of the things about this song. But yeah, what do you think is the major difference in the VIP mix of the call?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, even without knowing the technical things, I think it's just a better mix. It's a better listening experience, Like guitars are produced better, the vocals sitting in the mix, right, it just yeah, just mixes are all better. But the old mix is really sloppy too. There's lots of like timing errors with the bass guitar and a few other things like that that are completely fixed now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when you listen to them back to back, it's just like the twenty twenty five mix. To me, it's more lush, yeah, more immersive, Like the guitars are like and bolder, and the vocals are like way more like ah, you know that I had. I You know, sometimes when I'm laying down my tracks, I end up with so many layers that we just go we just strip it back, let's just stick with like this main vocal and like a little bit of something. Yeah, but this time I went in, I went crazy. I'm like, let's get all those vocals I recorded in twenty twenty two and just go to town, like let's figure out the place for all of them. So yeah, it was kind of like it's just like a redo for me.
Speaker 2: A song I was kind of about now something I'm really proud of, you know. And that's how you should be about all your songs. You should be really proud of them, not have like regrets and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I know I have so many when I look back over our twenty year history has so many hearts. Yeah, if I could go back and remix every single album, my freaking woye. That's the curs getting better, I guess I know, because I mean obviously part of what's going on with this new mixes, new equipment. Yeah, like you know, the kinds of stuff that you did with your guitar, like maybe you don't have those effects back then, and.
Speaker 2: Stuff we did with your vocals too.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, absolutely, Yeah, we've got cooler stuff now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're able to like hit the intention we had. We just didn't have the gear and the skills yet, even at our with all our experience to be able to give what we had in mind. I didn't realize what a complicated just project. This song was. Yeah, it's cool. I'm glad I love it now because it's like cool when I listened to it's like it really it's so nineties. It's like a lot of the stuff I was into back when, like low Spirals downwards begad. They like the one guitar panned on the riots, I'm just ding. It sounds like like it crossed between like something like Robert Smith or the Cure we do with something like that's more like a shoegazer kind of thing, and then another guitar pan left is like this overdriven just walls with a lot of load of modulation or little Shoegazer.
Speaker 1: It sounds you've ever gotten to be honest. Yeah, Yeah, I love the way it starts now too, has interesting.
Speaker 2: Too yeah, and has a new the more ending even like even more refined now to like how the endian always kind of switches back to like maybe like the first Fleetwood Mac album with Lindsay and Stevie. So it just kind of cuts a lot of stuff Shoegazer, Fleetwood Mac, and it's just it's just us. It's just it's just all those things that we love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have no idea what anyone would quantify my vocal genre as. But it's definitely a combination of like every genre that I've existed in over these all these years that we're making music. Yeah, So I was last night, we were talking about this song, and I was like, how did we get started on this new remix project?
Speaker 2: Actually, because I have another remix or two that I've been working on I started before this one.
Speaker 1: And then you did mention the last podcast I checked.
Speaker 2: I check, I'm not gonna mentioned any songs yet. But then you're the one that threw idea at me about the call and right you said that. I pondered it and like, yeah, that one really I think now we could really, like I said, do it justice. Yeah, And I was up for the challenge too, see if I was right.
Speaker 1: Now, are we gonna put on another album? Has been this looming question, like, well we make a longer form collection of songs. And so I was sitting there listening to our last singles and like, you know, we've been really kind of conscious of having the last three songs. You know, they sound good together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Newman on not Myself and used.
Speaker 1: To be Yeah, even though they're all kind of different genres, but there's something about the production and everything were all together.
Speaker 2: Same with the Call now now, but.
Speaker 1: Before I was like, I was like, well, obviously I want to put the Call on album, and then you listen to it, I was like, it's kind of doesn't sound drags them down.
Speaker 2: But now, even though it's a different genre, like the other three songs are sonically somehow kind of all fits together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and actually talking about those, you know, the last three songs, even when you go back to like our cover Misunderstood looks if if it is, as does the remix we did of it ain't Love.
Speaker 2: The Saint love Electronica. I just wondered I should ask him if I could do a VIP remix for us. I think that would be No Times past. He might be cool with that because that would fit in because I've said it before, maybe on this podcast. I know I've told Angree, I feel like that remix we did for Allen Electronico for Project Records. He did a he had an album and then he'd had other artists coming remix songs from the album, and I feel like that that remix somehow, I've been on this role ever since. I kind of like a lot of things that's kind of clicked and yeah, so I actually I think it'd probably make that remix even better now too, I know who. I was super proud of it then I still am.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, what was that like twenty three?
Speaker 2: It was around twenty two too. We'll check it out. But I think back to the original point is yes, are we going to make an album? Yes? And no no, and like yeah, not like were you wait like three to five years and all of a sudden, nine or ten songs come out of the blue and like whoa new song?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But yeah, yes in the sense, yeah, we're compiling enough songs together to put out either a long EP or an album, because I think that's a whole go instead of letting all these songs exist solely as singles on the streaming music services. At some point you said a lot of artists do this. I didn't invent anything. They'll put out, Oh, here's an album right now or an EP of all the songs that you've been listening to for the best.
Speaker 1: Bit, I'm abe it'll be like one or two that they hadn't heard yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly to make it, yeah, and make it cool for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, will we print it to CDs?
Speaker 2: Probably not, but lest you guys really want it, let us know in the comments.
Speaker 1: I know, I really we've never the only time I've ever done like a fundraiser thing was when I was when I did the Love Me, Leave Me album under the Anti BM. Yeah, I was back when I had like a super dedicated music podcast and I was like talking to people. Yeah. Time. I just we've really not wanted to do a fundraising thing for any Yeah.
Speaker 2: This weird for us. I guess I just need to get over it.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I don't know, you're not good asking for money.
Speaker 2: I think the bigger issue is, like right now, in twenty twenty five, you know, CDs aren't really that important.
Speaker 1: You know, we talked about this last last episode. I said, I think like CDs are dead, and you're like, actually, I heard CDs are having research having resurgeons compared to where they were five years ago, which ain't saying much.
Speaker 2: I mean, everything's just you know, so so much on digital streaming or downloaded off our band camp if you want to own it and put on your iPod or something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the new song, as you know, it's out. It came out Friday, the twenty.
Speaker 2: Eighth of yards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we put it up on band Camp on both Love Sparals and Love Sparls Downwards, but then on Spotify and all that stuff. When we told you about how our distributor has been, so on all of those services, it's under Love Sparles Downwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too hard to have it on two fees, I know. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was looking at Spotify obviously before the show, Yeah, before I sat down. I want to see how it was doing, you know, it just it's only been the weekend that it's been. Yeah, so you know it's had like I don't know, three thousand.
Speaker 2: Streams we're get paid because Spotify and changed the rules last to screw smaller artists, Like you.
Speaker 1: Don't get thousands streams, you don't get Jack.
Speaker 2: Does that suck? Like you can keep making music all year, like a song every month and they've hit nine hundred nights, go over a thousand, you get zero of Spotify, not pay.
Speaker 1: So we're definitely gonna get our little pennies for our streams.
Speaker 2: So you know, shoo, that's really But then I.
Speaker 1: Was I found myself looking at like demographics and stuff. It's so weird because you know, your whole life, you didn't really know who the heck was listening music or you know that's going on.
Speaker 2: Back in the Project days, I knew was Project fans because I talked to them and met them and they wrote us letters.
Speaker 1: Speak of the Devil. So now I can look at like the demographics of the listeners. Yeah, and it turns out that only six percent of the listeners of all the Love Sparls Downwards material, not just this time. Yeah, only six percent of them. We're in your age range.
Speaker 2: Age range meaning.
Speaker 1: Fifty five to sixty four. Uh huh, which those are the Project Yeah, yeah, listeners.
Speaker 2: It's on spot go a little bit lower than that. I would say all gen X, you know basically, Yeah, gen X goes I think starts around maybe people around maybe forty nine.
Speaker 1: Or fifty right now, So let me see what So the Spotify demographics for the Love Sparls dowards account. Yeah, five percent of listeners are fifty five to sixty four, compared to thirty nine percent are in the eighteen to twenty four range and thirty eight percent in the twenty five to thirty four year old range. So these are people that are well outside of your yeah, original Project Records listening.
Speaker 2: Did we mention this last time? Basically is our music's finding a whole new generation. You hear about that. I watch like you watch like v H one. Behind the music, they'll talk to like the Beach Boys or something like, we have a whole new generation listen to us. You know, it's not just people from the sixties and stuff. And that's we're old enough now to be able to say that we have people who weren't even born yet. You know, when I put out all those nineties albums on Project Records, that's cool to have people that don't have those preconceived notions of what was going on back then. They're just hearing it anew you know, just that's totally cool.
Speaker 1: I actually, yeah, I actually saw Sam, the owner of Project Records, say the same thing that, yeah, it's all these new kids are discovering Project and they they were not around the Project fest.
Speaker 2: Yeah squat.
Speaker 1: So I found that kind of interesting. So that that makes me worry less about the like band name, because I don't think the band name means anything to the people on Spotify except for the six percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, yeah, we can talk good. I'll feel softful about that, but yeah, it's still me doing my thing.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I know you doing your music continually since the late eighties.
Speaker 2: I always been the songwriter, the producer, I know, the musician.
Speaker 1: I know. I was like, oh, at the end of the day, isn't Ryan Love sprouls downwards?
Speaker 2: Yeah we can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how Sam is.
Speaker 2: Different singers, way more singers, singers, and.
Speaker 1: So many musicians, and yet he always remains yeah or black tape, like you always ran downwards or loves Yeah. It's the same kind of thing you guys with your lying ass project name.
Speaker 2: We're the same thing in that regard.
Speaker 1: To speaking of old project artists. Soul Rolling Somewhere, I still.
Speaker 2: Need to listen to that.
Speaker 1: I haven't listened to it either, But so, soul Rolling Somewhere is a guy named Michael Plaster. Yeah, I've even gotten to meet him and play with him when he was working in a band called Mister Mabel. But so he just released a brand new thing and he's not using the Soul Rolling Somewhere name or using Michael Plaster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder why. I'm Yeah, I mean, there's some brand awareness there. But then, like we said, everyone's new now listening to the music. But artistic decisions are artistic decisions. I thought it was a legal one. No, I doubt it was.
Speaker 1: He was Also, they literally just released the Soul Rolling Somewhere live set from Project Fast nineteen ninety six. Okay, cant Yeah, So we.
Speaker 2: Want to chat Michael around contact.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, I still love his remixes that he did for us back in the day.
Speaker 2: Oh ye, Actually, might hear a remix he did of one of our songs because I've been it's on the back burner but remastering long way from Home and he did this truth remix. It's really cool, kind of orchestral and dream poppy. So anyway, yeah, I asked him. I wrote him last year when I asked him if it was cool if I use it. He was totally cool with it. It was just a quick little conversation. We didn't really get to catch up or anything.
Speaker 1: He did too remixes for us. I'm trying to remember what the other one is. Was it Motherless Child?
Speaker 2: It'll come to us walk Away, It'll come to us when we spit stop on the recording. The I know, I know I could look, you can insert it right now, and so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of funny you mentioned artistic decisions. I actually have a reader email.
Speaker 2: All right, cool, it's.
Speaker 1: A reader comment. I think last last episode we were saying like, oh, I remember the olden days when we used to get like comments on our website and.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, I can't believe we see it and we're stoked.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, wow, this must be the first comment on.
Speaker 2: Our website, spirals dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll read it.
Speaker 2: All right, please do let's see.
Speaker 1: So this is from Miguel dear friends. One question, why does the song Newmanon just end suddenly as if it had been cut? I thought the song was fantastic, but I think it deserves a.
Speaker 2: Soft ending artistic decision. Yeah, I mean typically, yeah, when one of our songs, or when one of my productions ends, two ways to end, you once in a while, do a fade out, you know. The most common way is it'll just kind of stop on a beat and you'll hear the instruments and voice kind of decay and echo. Yes, it's a really trademark thing. Cows do that all the time. However, for Newmanon, one thing I've been doing lately in my mix is I have all the basically the instrumental fuel everything but the vocals on a separate mixed bus that I can control independently from the vocals. And for that song, it just was cool just to slam the bus straight off and it just for some reason, you and I were both like, wow, that really hits. Yeah it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's kind of like for me, it's kind of like you've got all yours fully immersed right, the songs going, there's all this like emotive mood swirling around you, and then we just pulled the rug out from under you. Yeah, right, he felt that. Yeah, it created a visceral response to where he got up, went to his computer and looked for our website and left that card.
Speaker 2: Yes, and thanks for leaving that because it shows it had an effect. Because that definitely had an effect on us, and if it had a similar kind of thing for you, Yeah, it was. That was kind of the intent. That the intent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't love it too, because it's just like it's so there's something so devastating about the way that song ends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but right before the.
Speaker 1: Show, I double checked maybe some of you don't know. But there's a drum and bass remix of Neumanon as well, and I checked the ending of that one.
Speaker 2: It doesn't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like a softy cake like Miguel would probably prefer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you got both choices there, Miguel and everyone to listen to. But yeah, the main mix of Neumanon, we would that's just like one of our just most moody ass. I mean, we make moody music. I've always made moody music. That one is just so friggin moody and and just chugging with all sorts of emotions. And yeah, someone something about the inning just seemed like the perfect way to end.
Speaker 1: That song, because I don't think you've ever ended a song. Yeah, quite like that.
Speaker 2: That's a surprise.
Speaker 1: Really made an impression on me. And yeah, I wouldn't I personally wouldn't have it any other way. It's possible on the instrumental Guitar Focus mix that's right now was only on band Care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I did that there either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that also got the soft ND.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure. Yeah, just part of the like some of the you know, I told we've learned a lot over the past, like just even a couple years, you know, strangely that this could be a whole other episode just you wouldn't hear it too much in the music per se. But listen, we've been listening to so much like Korean music. You're gonna say, yeah, so there's some just really just a production that just blows my mind. Not every K pop band, mind you, but you know, it's like just like any genre, some bands are gonna suck, I'm gonna be awesome, you know, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Some songs, it depends. Our songs are really cool for a band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, any Yeah, But I'm saying, we've just heard some just amazing production just so much like it's been for me, like an overwhelming thing like in the past, like here, maybe a good song once every year or two something like that, just one song, and I'm trying to milk it. I'm hearing new stuff like on the every week or at least every month, something that just blows my mind. And I'm just we've been just learning a lot from just analyzing to learn what the hell they're doing on YouTube. For a lot of the bands, they show them in the studio recording I love the vocalists how the how they how they how they produce. They don't show the production, they show the recording, the vocal recording production process, and yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you hear the feedback a lot of times from the director.
Speaker 2: That band not necessarily all Koreaman, is it? Not necessarily Indian k pop? There's someone who's like relax as a producer role. They call them the director. They're literally communicating with the vocalists and giving commands and suggestions and you know, or encouragement and encouragement.
Speaker 1: I love in the Monstatics ones where yeah, Jew Honey is directing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's one of the band members. Encouragement. So yeah, that's that's very kind of what's the word instructional or informative And you and I watched those together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just gives you newors to think about.
Speaker 2: Things, just because you know, we know how we record, and we know what it's like to record songs and the recording with the recording processes, like what you as a singer goes through, and it's cool to see other people do that and see how they handle all the your choices, Yeah, this decision, Yeah, all that stuff we just discovered monster X last year.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's not true. I've I literally have had them on playlist going back to twenty nineteen. Yeah, I just didn't really. I never watched their music videos or any of the stuff that we're doing now.
Speaker 2: Check out a song called night View by Monster I don't.
Speaker 1: Know how I missed that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it came out.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: It could be my favorite song that I discovered last year. And I think the song is from like twenty twenty one, I believe, but I just heard it last year and I still listened to it like regularly, at least once a week.
Speaker 1: I like the song right after it too. I think it's called Carnival.
Speaker 2: And the one that's been blowing my mind lately is why does it come to me the way you are?
Speaker 1: The letter are ye?
Speaker 2: Yeah, check you check. Check those two songs out Nightview and you are. You can see how talented the music producers are, how how how extremely talented that all the vocalists rappers are. I'm just jealous. And you hear the production on night View, It's like, ah, I know it's so good.
Speaker 1: So it's like a deep house kind of song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a deep. It's really something I would like.
Speaker 1: It's really atmospheric and more atmospheric than like soul.
Speaker 2: Dance your ass off.
Speaker 1: That's how they do a lot of like they do a lot of spacey atmospheric things, but there's often a hint of soul.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we relate to them aesthetically a lot. Yeah, so checked that if you want to know what we're talking about. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of which, we do have a new song that we're working on pretty hard. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It kind of reminds us of one of those months desks a little bit, a little bit, a little bit like you are. But yeah, so yeah, we're just the music's pretty far along. We just started recording the vocals the we've kind of nailed the chorus, so now we go to work on bridge the verse in bridges. So we're working on just slow going, but it's coming along. So that will probably be our first new song of twenty twenty five. We might get another remix done before then, we'll see how it all works out.
Speaker 1: We did it. We did a heavy vocal session on my birthday, yeah, February second, and I think we did some mixing and some other stuff.
Speaker 2: On like Valentine's Yeah, producers, we.
Speaker 1: Haven't really touched it since. Yeah, but you've been like messing around changing some things in the studio all weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lotsuff got your new headphones to track in. I noticed a lot of the K pop bands using these Sony headphones that curious about.
Speaker 1: They already have the same like that we already had the same.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, a lot of them use Yeah, so yeah, I figured, Yeah, I was never satisfied with your your headphones that you used to recording. I mean they're really well respected, but for me, for for for tracking, they're just missing a lot of the the low mids, so you kind of it just sounds kind of thin. You don't feel like you're fully in the mix. And like, okay, if all these K poppers are using the Sony M d R seventy five and six, islet give a shot. They're not that expensive and you haven't had had a chance to check them out yet. But I've been screwing around with them, and I think you're gonna love them.
Speaker 1: I just remember we actually we had such an o G experience. We drove to guitar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I felt nineties. It's like, okay, I can order them online from somewhere, or you just drive up the street and go to Guitar Center and you know, go get some Indian food after did.
Speaker 1: Get food afterwards, which is also very nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was inspired the first LSD album. Yeah, Indian food, not guitar Center, A little bit of both. Okay, that was like my soul. One hundred stores of music gear back then, basically, oh so funny, little days of buying stuff at Guitar Center West Covida and Guitar Center Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Oh those the ones you went to. I went to the Hollywood one with you a couple.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we lived out far from the Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I think that's the bulk of what we have to talk about this time. You know, there's always little things here and there. I think last time we talked to them, I was getting the Temporal album re upped so that it had all the correct information.
Speaker 2: And it does now it has.
Speaker 1: Well, now that's over, it's got like a more robust like an artwork, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, yeah, thinking about Miguel and if any guys have any questions for us, now is a great time. I mean, not exactly now, you're not communicating real time, but you know what I'm saying. Just drop us the comment or question and we'll probably answered it. Since we're not being exactly flooded and overwhelmed with questions.
Speaker 1: No, exactly, you will get that one on one time with us right here. Yeah, so thanks so much for taking the time to either watch or listen to this show. It's on YouTube as a video, but it's also on all the major podcasting services now as an audio show as well. Yeah, or you can watch directly from our website. So I think right now, I'm only posting this the lovesprols dot com, not love Sparls Downwards dot com, which is another one of those crazy things like can't we just have everything in one place?
Speaker 2: Finally, geez, I think if you use YouTube music for your podcast, you get the option of audio orror audio and video. Yeah, because I've been using that app now on my spare Android phone, just kind of screwing around and see how it works.
Speaker 1: I think I might have tried uploading one of these videos onto our TikTok. But let's say, uh, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, we really need like fifty we know we're gen x X.
Speaker 1: I just can't anyways. But however you're consuming this medium, we really thank you for taking the time and hope that you'll continue to subscribe to hear more from love Spot.
Speaker 2: Comment if you really want us to do more on TikTok, oh.
Speaker 1: My goodness, if you really want it, there won't be any dance challenges.
Speaker 2: I fort I'll try.
Speaker 1: So, what's your favorite part of the new remix? Maybe we can take them out with the clip that starts from that point.
Speaker 2: Let's start off with the second chorus that leads into My Glorious a solo. The sound is totally rad. I'm extremely proud of how I came out that. In fact, I should mention no, I actually re recorded the solo for this rema oh hell yeah, And it's possible I might. I left some of the older versions of the solo down load it mix. I can't remember, but it's one part of it's a whole new part of the song.
Speaker 1: Alright, very nice, cool, all right, So that's what we'll do. I hope you enjoy it.