Speaker 1: You're listening to KPI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. How do you get a shark to snort cocaine?
Speaker 2: Actually, the cocaine gets into the sharks system from the sewage discharges from humans who use the drug.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you, any sharks that were around southern California back in the eighties were swimming around and pretty excited every time I went to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: And now handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle, And.
Speaker 1: Good morning everybody. It is a Thursday morning, July twenty five, and last night was the big one. A little froggy, little flemy. Okay, should I do that again? Sure? Okay, Hey everybody, It's Thursday morning, July twenty five, and welcome. Last night was the big speech by Joe Biden. Going to talk a lot more about that at seven am. Some thoughts and commenting on the analysis, analyzing the analysis, which I've got all kinds of comments on, all kinds of opinions on, and the bottom line was Joe Biden did pretty much what was expected. And for those Republicans, they say he didn't talk about his cognitive abilities. And you know what, what's he going to say? I'm old, I'm decrepit, I'm falling apart, thank you very much. And that was my question. Was he going to say I'm old, decrepit, falling enough, falling apart. Was he going to say? Where is the oval office? Huh? Look around and go where am I?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Go figure? All right, Hello to one and all. Con O, good morning, Hey Bill. You know what I like about Cono? He actually laughs at this stuff. Amy for the most part, ignores me completely, and occasionally I'll get a chuckle out of a and Neil just looks at me with utter contempt and disdain. Cono, I like you a lot more than anybody else on this show. I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 3: That's huge. That's big for me.
Speaker 1: That is well you deserve it. It's well well deserved. What did I say on your T shirt?
Speaker 3: Body Snatcher? It's a band. It's oh I thought.
Speaker 1: It was some kind of a description, a legal description.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, just I feel like heavy music makes people angry.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, yeah, heavy metal metal rock. Now. Very early on, I don't know how many years ago, I was going to London and I somehow was upgraded. Occasionally. I would get upgrade if I have enough miles. And so I'm sitting in business class on a t W A plane that's how long ago it was, and there's this rungey looking guys. I figure, how did you get up here? You know, you barely have bathed? And goes, oh, we're a rock group. I go, yeah, do I know the name? And they said Metallica? And I said, what's a Metallica? And what a dumb name for a group? And so we had a conversation and they were trying to explain to me what kind of music they do. To this day, I don't understand.
Speaker 3: They've done pretty well for themselves.
Speaker 1: They've done okay, oh okay, all right, guys, we've got news cycle. You know, that's one of the comments that are being made Amy, I'm hearing among newspeople, and you are in part of that. Ilk. Have you had a three four week period that you can remember that had this much news into this magnitude.
Speaker 4: No, it's like standing in front of a fire hose.
Speaker 1: It's just it's astounding and its NonStop. Yeah, it's crazy, mate for us, Yeah, I mean it's you know, for us. I mean that's you know, for news talk radio. It's it's great stuff because it gives us a lot to talk about, all right, matter of fact, giving us a lot to talk about. Grab the pile here, it is time for handle on the news, Amy King, Neil back next Wednesday. Me late story. Probably it's all all right. Joe Biden expected and we knew he was announcing him leaving the campaign, dropping his candidacy for president, for as the nominee of the Democratic Party, and we sort of expected this. It was only eleven minutes, and it was considered by many, particularly those papers of Joe Biden, and I think even those that are non biased as somber. He talked about his accomplishments, which you'd figure he would, because everybody else who has left the White House certainly have no one of the three presidents that I can remember, two of them actually in office leaving the White House, well, actually all three of them in office leaving the White House in the last before the term was over. We're not being the candidate again. It was not about why Nixon, who was about to be indicted and thrown out of office, impeached and convicted by the Senate, he lost his political base. That's it. Lyndon Johnson just said I'm leaving. And Joe Biden last night didn't talk about his political base. All he said was it's time for me to go. That's it. That was his reasoning for doing this time to pass the torch to a new generation. And a lot of Republicans really pissed off that he didn't connected to I'm old, I'm decrepit, I can't function, my cognitive abilities decreased. And even Joe Biden fans, I mean, I like to watch CNN. I'm going to talk more about this CNN. Could I really like the analysis of CNN. Forget about the politics of it, just the analysis. Van Jones, who is worked in the Obama White House, who reveres Joe Biden, I mean revers the man. He's a genuine hero. To Van Jones, he said, you could see how old Biden has become, even the last two months. You could see the deterioration. And he was really struck, I mean crying and really upset. Okay, I'll do more about that at seven o'clock.
Speaker 2: And Tanya who had us lawmakers in the palm of his hand, what kind of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin and Nyahoo gave his speech to lawmakers at Capitol Hill yesterday, lashing out against the protests of Israel's war against Hamas. He said that the protests that are happening outside and around the country in the US are backed by Iran, which effectively makes the protesters useful idiots.
Speaker 1: It was a speech that took a lot of people by surprise, because we were told that it was going to be conciliatory. We were told that there would be at least a reach out for peace in some way to talk about ending the war, not even close, just ripping into Hamas and anybody who was against the war, and then just outright line, we are sending unlimited aid to the Palestinians. Really we are not. We are not targeting civilians, which is true, I believe for the most part. But I mean the rest of it. We hand out or we hand out millions of flyers and phone calls and texts to tell people to get out of the way.
Speaker 3: Do they do that?
Speaker 1: They do do that. But what he left out was get out of the way. There's the safe sone over there until we vomit, and then the flyers go out and say oh no, no, there's a safe son over safe zone over there, and they vomit. And the argument is that those are Hamas strongholds or that's where Hamas starts its fight again, which I believe, by the way, just don't say that we are there, just say we're fighting him and if this is where they are, and effectively he did say this, and this is where we go as far as Hamas is concerned, and he talked about in those are detractors of Israeli position. On the other side, they the humanitarian workers, and there are thousands of them. Not one has said, yes, Hamas is fighting from the hospitals or the schools. I have not heard one of those. So clearly Kamas is not fighting from the schools and the hospitals and the mosques. It's just not true. It's not happening. Israel I guess isn't fighting at all. It's just attacking civilians. Although there are Hamas fighters that Hamas has said, but not in the civilian areas. The reality on both sides, I don't get what's going on. I think both sides are lying to some extent, to a great extent, well.
Speaker 2: There and they're they're challenged with the reality that people can see now and people can get the information out. I mean, you think about a war fifty years ago, nobody knew what was going on. I mean you had reporters there, but they had the delays. And now with the instantanean or instantaneous information coming out, it's a different It's a different war.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to see if an attack is made on a civilian target because com is there, because the fighters are there, and let's say they're rocket launchers coming from a school and Israel, Israel attacks it, I'd like to see a few dead Hamas fighters in there. I really would, you know, what where are they? And then when you talk about the weapons they found, like one cash of weapons is all I've seen on video. They should be loaded with weapons as Israel attacks and takes out a stronghold. So man, I just I don't get it. Well, I do get it, but unfortunately I'm not having a good time understanding it.
Speaker 2: All right, Thousands protested outside the capitol as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gave his speech to Congress. They marched toward the capitol before police sprayed pepper spray on some of them. They chanted free, Free Palestine. Some of the removed American flags from Washington's Union Station, their train station, and then hoisted Palestinian flags. And they also spray painted monuments and wrote Hamas is coming in red spray paint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's America. Well you can't deface property, of course, under any circumstances. But you can put up a Palestinian flag. I mean it's welcome to America. Can burn the flag? They did? Did they did that Supreme Court. There was a case decades and decades ago they said, hey, that's that is a political speech.
Speaker 2: Taking the American flag down off a flagpole on a public building and then putting up the Palestinian flag is ill.
Speaker 1: That is illegal because you're you're you're trespassing for one thing. But the act of doing that, being charged with taking down the American flag per se and putting up the Palestinian flag in terms of any kind of treason, in terms, you can absolutely do that. The crime here is doing it on public land. For example, if I am a protester and I can I burn an American flag on my flagpole at home, you bet I can? You bet I can? Now if I were. If I were there, and thank god goodness, I'm not there, and if I had a machine gun, these people would be just wiped out. That is also a crime, by the way, taking a machine gunning a whole group of people until they explode. Ok. Yeah, yeah, I just wanted to point that out.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that clarification, yuy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also political speech, I might dad.
Speaker 2: Our big fires pale in comparison, thankfully. You know, we've got some fires. In fact, there's a there's a fire that we're watching that's burning about fifteen miles outside of Paradise, Remember the town that was destroyed by wildfire six years ago. There's one that's grown to forty five thousand acres. But up in Oregon, there's a lightning sparked wildfire. It's in eastern Oregon and it's torn through two hundred and seventy thousand acres. So it's the largest wildfire in the US right now. And in eastern Oregon there's nothing to stop the fires. It's grassland, it's like high planes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so it just goes. This is a very bad combination and that is a lot of dry vegetation, strong winds, and truly hot weather. You put those three together, it's like STDs and unprotected sex. That is a bad combination.
Speaker 2: Break into the Mayor's office, no problem, Okay, there's a little bit of a problem.
Speaker 1: The mayor's home.
Speaker 4: Oh did I say office, Yes, I'm at home.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So back in April, somebody broke into La Mayor Bass's home in Hancock Park, the Getty House. Twenty nine year old accused of breaking in has pleaded no contest to felony vandalism. Apparently they dropped the burglary charges as part of his plea deal. He was given two years probation, has to stay away from the Mayor's work and home addresses, and has to have drugging out drug abuse and mental health treatments, and has to pay some restitution.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Getty House is kind of interesting. Six in Revine, you know, one of the mansions in Hancock Park, the Getty House has spent. The reason it's called the Getty House. It was given to the city of Los Angeles by J. Paul Getty, who was a resident of LA and the Getty museums that he set up. Stiffed his kids completely set up the art foundation. They have more money than they know what to do with, because they have to spend five percent of the assets of the foundation every year or five percent of the income, and has wiped out the world the world art market because they can pay anything for anything. Do you know that if you're a scholar and you're doing let's say some study, a PhD study on a piece of art that Getty has, you can apply for a scholarship or they will fly you over or put you up for a year, pay all of your expenses. And they have dozens and dozens of those going every year. I should get into art, no kidding.
Speaker 2: Boeing has taken responsibility. There's an agreement between Boeing and the Justice Department where the airplane maker will plead guilty to a fraud charge for misleading US regulators who approved the seven thirty seven Max jetliners. So apparently Boeing is going to say that, through its employees, it made an agreement by dishonest means to defraud the FAA the members that evaluated the seven thirty seven, and because of that, the FAA had incomplete and inaccurate information about the plane's flight control software and how much training the pilots would need.
Speaker 4: To be able to fly it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the mcass debacle, that little software business that would automatically put the plane into a dive if it was going to go up. Install and pilots have not been trained on that. Pilots didn't even know that existed when they.
Speaker 3: Put it in.
Speaker 1: And the reason one of the ways that Boeing sells so much Boeing is, here's a shortcut pilots. Whenever there's a new system installed, pilots have to go into the simulator and they have to study it. This was just done on an iPad and that was it. That was your training if you did it.
Speaker 2: Is that real?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yep. Yeah, that's how That's what Boeing has done. Boeing is and the reason the fraud because let me tell you how crazy the FAA is with its enormous oversight because there are so few FAA auditors and inspectors. When it is out there to certify a part, it will ask Boeing to say does it meet our requirements? And a Boeing inspector says yes it does, and the FAA signs off on it. Well, those days have changed. Yeah, that's bowing. And it used to be where you could trust Boweing to do that. Well, it never used to happen because you know, the budgets of the FA were cut like crazy under Trump because that was just you know, governmental regulations are not are not a big thing for Republicans across the board, and so you used to be able to trust Boeing. I mean that was in the days when Boeing was Boeing. As a matter of fact, that's the podcast. And when is that podcast already dropped? The Boeing story. When's it coming on? We haven't said a day yet. It will probably come next week on the podcast that I drop every Tuesday and Thursday. And one of the stories that have already recorded is what happened to Boeing, the history of Boeing and how corporate, how corporation that is most one of the most revered companies in the world, How it went to the toilet? And that's coming up.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we now know what caused it, and for the important part, how much is the crowd strike failure going to cost.
Speaker 4: It's being described as the largest IT outage in.
Speaker 2: History and will cost fortune five hundred companies alone more than five billion dollars in direct losses. That's in a preliminary report that also came out on the same day as how CrowdStrike actually inadvertently calls the widespread it meltdown.
Speaker 1: And that doesn't count the families that have loved ones who have died because they couldn't get into surgery. And they now that's not to say they're going to win because it's elective surgery. But still, it's either a good time to buy CrowdStrike or it's a very bad time to buy CrowdStrike because at this point, if it comes back, you're going to make some money, and if it doesn't come back, you're going to lose your shirt.
Speaker 4: Gotta bet either way.
Speaker 1: Well, it's people who bet when things are down. People buy Apple. When Apple was in the toilet, when Steve Jobs came back, I mean the company was moribund, it was almost it was close to death. And if you believe in Steve Jobs, you made a fortune.
Speaker 4: Another attempted murder on Metro.
Speaker 1: Why do they even report these anymore.
Speaker 2: Because they're happening every week and they said that the ridership is up for the nineteenth month in a row.
Speaker 1: No, thank you. Well, there are people that i'd like to pay Russian roulette. Talked about that a couple of days ago. What Russian roulette is? Or are willing to take their chances?
Speaker 4: Well, and here's the thing. It's not only happening. I mean, you hear about the fights and stuff.
Speaker 2: So this is what happened to the guy getting off at the Metro Redline station in North Hollywood. Apparently he was on the steps that lead over to the Metro buses when somebody comes up to him and stabs him in the ribs.
Speaker 1: That's lovely. You know, this going on the Metro is a lot like torriadors, you know, is it worth the risk? Or people who skydive, Why would you do that? You jump out of a perfectly good airplane and why so why would you ride the Metro?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but I bet skydiving is a lot more fun than riding the Metro.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, at least until you hit the ground. That's true.
Speaker 4: That's true, all right? Uh, too close for comfort.
Speaker 2: Norad has intercepted to Russian and two Russian jets and two Chinese bombers that were flying near Alaska yesterday kind of right around the time that President Biden was about to give his oval office address. A Defense officials said it was the first time Russia and Chinese have been intercepted while operating together.
Speaker 1: That is the big issue because these interdictions, or at least you're noting that these uh these internet flying near coasts and we do that over there, and they do that over here, but China, as you pointed out, China and Russia doing it together as some kind of military exercise. By the way, Nora had cost so much money. You know, it's all Cold war stuff. You know that The only time they're really worth the money is when they track Santa Claus going across the world. You ever see you know, you see that every Christmas.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's very important.
Speaker 1: That's Norad that's doing that tracking Santa Claus. Until we find out that it really is a Russian missile that's disguised as Santa Claus, then we're going to be in a lot of trouble.
Speaker 2: That makes sense because to get to all of the houses of all of the children all around the world, Santa is probably have to go that fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I go pretty quickly. Yeah, and he's trying. I don't know, because you can see Santa you know where Santa is he's now over Bolivia and he's now over Now here's my question. If he's over Bolivia, what are people do in Brazil because he just transports right over or he goes right over one country not the other. So I've always wondered about that. This is deep deep fis this.
Speaker 4: Is deep thinking? All right, Well, it's a little supposed to be all.
Speaker 2: Fun and games, but then politics comes into play. At uh tens of thousands of fans were at the park, the Prince Stadium in Paris, booed and hissed and whistled their way through the Israeli national anthem leading up to the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Come on now, and even though it's illegal for oh well, athletes to show their political views, that's not allowed. But how do you stop an audience from doing that? That's you can't. And there's anti semitim. Anti Semitism is rife now through the world. You're gonna see that. Isn't that special? God help an Israeli athlete that wins the medal? Can you imagine what's going to happen in the stadium. And by the way, if that's the case, if I were the coach, I would go here's what you do. If they hiss at you, you moon them. And that would be a view from the state from you know, the stand where you stand up and take metal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, special delivery and not in a good way.
Speaker 2: Representative Norman Torres and the Inland Empire says her office received two letters containing a white powdery substance. So Torres, who is the representative of thirty fifth Congressional District in California for Ontario, says no one was hurt, but her staffers had to shelter in place while has Maat teams checked it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really went to screw with a political office and an envelope with sweet and low in it. That'll disrupt things. And by the way, is that illegal. I don't think that is. It's just a political statement there.
Speaker 2: How speedy is your broadband? There's a new app for that. The FCC has revealed the launch of a new app that will allow consumers to test their mobile broadband speed in order to gauge the accuracy of a provider's mobile coverage range. So I guess if they say we have the best broadband coverage, you can check your app and say no, you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, now was it the other day? I wanted to know, am I getting my three hundred MPs that I'm paying for at home? And you're going into a program. But it's not that easy, you know, I'll tell you exactly what's happening in real time and what the FCC is doing. Just you do this on your cell phone, go right to the app. This is great, by the way, to find out exactly what you're paying for.
Speaker 2: Well, but then do you have any recourse if they're saying, hey, you're supposed to get whatever that number you said and then it's like half that, then you go back and say, hey, I'm not getting that, give me a refund.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if they've gone that far yet, because at this point it's simply the launch itself of the app, and it allows consumers to test the broadband speed. I don't know if there is a consequence if it doesn't happen, because right now it's only enabling users to get free, open and transparent information about the performance of the network. So I think that's the next step. You think there's going to be a political fight on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, Disney's made a deal.
Speaker 2: Speaking of fights, they're playing nice now with the union and Disney and fourteen thousand workers are not going to go on strike if they approve this deal. But they've reached a tentative contract for three years that will have wage increases apparently, some benefits to people who have seniority, security increases, and additional premiums whatever that means. So, and the deal came like four days after the union with ninety nine percent in support, said yep, we're going to authorize a strike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Disney tell me this isn't PR corporate speak. Here's their statement. We care deeply about the well being of our cast members and are pleased to have reached a tentative agreement with Master Service Counsel the union that addresses what matters most to our cast while positioning Disneyland Resort for future growth and job creation. That's PR speak. We fought so hard to screw them over that we basically averted a strike by thirty seconds. Now the other side will argue the other way. So it's just why don't they just admit, Yeah, we had a battle, and you know this is where we came to, and we agreed to thirty cents an hour, and they dropped their fifty cents an hour as opposed to the PR babble that goes on and you have and that's what they hand you, don't they amy? In terms of the releases, the news.
Speaker 4: Releases, Yeah, nope, we don't get the real stuff.
Speaker 1: No, of course not.
Speaker 2: But emotions are real and apparently they're good. Inside Out two as surpassed one point four to six billion in global ticket sales, making it the highest grossing animated feature of all time. It just passed Disney's Frozen two and it's going to get another shot at the box office because it hasn't even opened yet in Japan.
Speaker 1: I don't we talk to Mo about this? Moe is coming to board at eight fifty when we do earlier with Mo Kelly, and he's our entertainment guy, and I thought that no one's going to the movies anymore. And look at these numbers, I mean they are astronomical. So I mean that I'm going to have a conversation with Mo about right. Thet's two one more before we end the segment.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's the end of an era for Southwest Airlines, which might make you very happy or maybe not, depending on the consequences.
Speaker 4: But no more first come, first served.
Speaker 2: Southwest is shifting to assigned seating for the first time in its fifty year history. But here's the downside of that. It's going to allow Southwest to charge premiums for some of the seats on the plane, like all the other carriers who are already doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is charging for seating is insane how much money they make. For example, I'm traveling to Europe, as I do every year, I take a trip. So I bought my ticket and there are two of us going. So I just bought two tickets and they said, do you want to sit together? What do you mean, do way? I want to sit together? Of course, Oh, that'll be an extra charge to confirm the two of you going to sit together and go what are you talking about? H that was one hundred and sixty two dollars.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's what's going on. That is literally what's going on.
Speaker 4: And what ends up happening is one of you is paying for a middle seat.
Speaker 1: Oh that's another charge. If you don't want a middle seat, oh yeah, I forget about that, and then you have well it makes sense for the ultra ultra low cost carriers like Spirit in Frontier. They make all of their money on the junk fees. You pay extra for everything, including carry on bags. If you're wearing pants, they charge you more money. It's have you ever flown? I won't. I won't fly those incredibly low cost fares because it turns out to be pretty close to that unless you literally are taking your clothes in your pocket.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just flew a Vellow which goes to some of the smaller airports, and they charged for seats, but I didn't buy it, so I just waited until I got to the airport and I ended up getting great seats both times.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, but I lucked out. Yeah, yeah, you can't catch I think that happens every time.
Speaker 1: Not at all. All right, We're done, guys. KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Well, at least you've decided to listen to you. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.