Speaker 1: My Billy cunning into Great America. Welcome this glorious Tuesday after and the Tri State Reds Baseball kicks off about five forty nine temperatures up to seventy two degrees. Things that looked been great. Of course, yesterday morning it was announced that Pope Francis had died. The two hundred and sixty seventh Pope is gone, and I thought, for some reason. An hour or two later, I thought about Brian Tom, because I found myself on a Sunday checking out Chick fil A on a Sunday, which I found out that's a stupid move. But as I got to Chick fil A, there was a line going in and out of Crossroads. It was unbelievable, the thousands and thousands attending Crossroads. So I thought, Brian Tome's not been on for many, many months. Brian Tom, Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And Brian Tom, how are you, William?
Speaker 2: I'm doing pretty good. I was wondering if I wasn't a good enough American for you. You're don't call me anymore.
Speaker 1: Well, I just thought of you when I thought about the Pope. Now tell me, first of all, as a member of cross Roads, in fact, the founder of Crossroads. You're like Saint Peter upon that rock Christ has built his church. Can you tell me the reaction to feeling of Crossroads on the passing of the Catholic Pope.
Speaker 2: Well, we certainly don't celebrate in anybody's death, especially somebody who has done his best to defend the faith and defend who God is. His best his ability so seemed like a good, loving man. I didn't really know that much about him, but I know his heart was in the right place, and I trust he's with the Good Lord right now.
Speaker 1: As far as his death. Can you tell the American people if somebody would say to you, maybe at the Pearly Gates, what is the difference between Crossroads and Roman Catholicism, what would be your answer?
Speaker 2: Oh? Gosh, Well, it's hard to answer that because if you talk about official Catholic theology, it doesn't necessarily line up with what some of the priests teach, or with a lot of people who go with the Catholic Church believe. But but in essence, uh, the Bible teaches and we believe across Roads and Catholics do as well, that when you when you die there's one question, and one question alone, that is why should I let you into heaven? And the answer, the correct answer is Jesus. That's the answer. Because Jesus died on the cross, He took all of our sins put it on his back. So you and I, bill, anybody's received perceived Christ, we never have to worry about being condemned by God and we go to see Him. In fact, Roman says there's therefore now no condemnation for those whom in Christ Jesus. So anybody who's in Christ Jesus, you get to heaven because of what Jesus has done, not because what you have done. Now official Catholic theology, I believe, and I'm not a Catholic, and I haven't studied in a Catholic seminary, but there's an intermediary period, a holding zone, if you will, place to do penance, a place to be in limbo, place to be kind of atoning for your sins and working work in your self off to get yourself ready. And I just don't think the scriptures teach that it's purgatory.
Speaker 1: In other words, I guess if you committed a bunch of misdemeanors, or some traffic tickets. You gotta go to purgatory for a while in state of grace, and then you get to go upstairs. And I guess one of the big issues that I have is what do you say for most of the world, the great bulk of the world has no conception of Jesus Christ. There's no conception of Christianity, of the Pope's Apostles, the Epistles, maybe not even the Bible. The great majority of human beings that have ever lived have not had that opportunity. What happens to those billions and billions of people.
Speaker 2: Well, I believe that we are judged according to what we know. So if you've been in a place where you've never had the opportunity to name Jesus, I assume there's going to be some sort of accommodation for that.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I hope so, I think. So it seems to be that way. Also when you talk to the thousands of people, or at least here the interviews that have A friend of mine, John Berkeley, has a best selling book on this in New York Times, who's interviewed two thousand people had near death experiences, and it seems like there's a consistent thing where there is a chance that some of them have that they actually reverse direction. That's not clearly communicating the Bible, But you know, I don't know it's clearly said that that can't happen either. In the end, Bill, God does whatever he wants to do, and we're not God, and I'm thankful for that.
Speaker 1: As far as the thief on the good thief, so to speak, on the right side of the cross. I'll tell you a story about my brother, John Cunningham, who died about four years ago. You never met practicing Roman Catholic Saint Saviors. Went to Burcell High School, top of his class, scholarship Michigan State, goes to Michigan State, completely falls away from the faith or any Christian faith, ends up in Alaska. I had no contact with my brother, who was a darling soul, a great character. For decades go by, have no connection whatsoever. Every now in the letter might come to my mom, where's John Well, he's in Alaska? Where's John Well? He's in Japan? And I said to my mom how to get to Japan? And he said he woke up one morning and said there was a Shinto shrine near Kyota that was beckoning him, and I thought, my mom doesn't kid very much. I said, well, what do you mean? He said. He got up and he read ancient Shinto sanscript and he wanted to learn Japanese. So he spent six months learning Japanese. Ended up in a shrine near Kyoto, Japan, and one way ticket and spent six months eight months there interacting with it with the locals in Japan, and they thought he was a prophet. He looked like Santa Claus, he wore the robes and he was talking about Shinto in the religion. After six months it got two out of hand. He can went back to Alaska, ended up traveling around the country. Didn't practice any faith of which I'm familiar with until the end of his life. So I'm with him and UC Medical Center for the last three or four months of his life. You know how that goes, surgery operas, kidney cancer, this and that, And about a month before his death, I'm sitting with him. I get there about three thirty in the afternoon, and we had a great relationship at the end, and it reminded me of the good thief. And my brother looked at me. I'm holding his hand and he called me Chief, and he said, Chief, I'm afraid I'm going to go to hell. And I've never had a discussion with my brother about heaven or earth or religion, never had a never discussed it with him. I said, what do you mean? He said, I've done things in my life I shouldn't have done, and I'm away from the Lord. And I said, what do you want me to do? He said, get me a priest? I said, Shinto, or can you get me a Catholic priest? And I'm close to Father Anthony Brows and to father that runs our Lady of Victory. Father Ben is great. So I got a hold of Father Ben, who came down. He gave him a confession, and he gave him the last rites holy Communion. And from that point on my brother had a peace. And I would like to think that he didn't live his life in such a way that would condemn to hell for eternity. I think he had several marriages and did some things he shouldn't have done. But he was a gentle and a loving soul. But he reminded me of the good thief that how is it possible Brian tom that you can live your life apart from the faith, apart from any religion, then at the end you make one good decision. The good thief on the cross, who wasn't baptized, had no religion, led a horrible life, but at the end he walked through the pearly gates with Jesus Christ of Nazareth. How's it fair that someone like you can spend decades bringing so many into the flock of crossroads, then someone else walks into the pearly gates at the end of his life. Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Billy? You're man, you're serving me up some stuff. I want to hit every pitcher give me. He gave me a five pitches there. So let me start back at Shintoism. Shintoism is not going to do you anything as relates to God. In fact, it's going to take you away from God. That's what's known in the Bible as a false God. That's known as an idol. God abhores false gods and idols. So that's not going to do you anything. It's only gonna it's only gonna hurt you if you believe in heaven, which we know about Heaven built because of the Bible. That's how we know about heaven. The concept of heaven is in no other religion unless it's a later religion after Christianity that borrowed from it. Now, having said that, it sounds like your brother may have had a classic conversion experience with the priest there at the end, he seems like it has the marks, yes, marks of the fruit of the spirit, love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faith, and self control, all those kind of things. So that's good. So what I would say about the what is just? What is fair? The thing that I think the Catholics are trying to get right, at least ancient Catholics who believe in purgates were. What they're trying to get right is how do we settle the scales here? If God is just, surely it just doesn't mean someone goes to Hell or someone goes to heaven. Hell is a is God's justice system. But justice also means appropriate reward, and there are multiple examples in the Bible where God talks about unique rewards in heaven. Mother Teresa in heaven has completely different, higher, more rewards than the thief. Actually, the original language, I think is a malefactor does on the cross. This guy I find very encouraging. He doesn't do anything that we think a Christian should do. He doesn't volunteer, he doesn't tithe, he doesn't go to a new members class, he doesn't he doesn't mouth the right. Theology always says that Jesus is remember me when you when, when when you get to your throne, And Jesus says today, today, today, he'll be in paradise. So that guy immediately was in a paradise setting in heaven. But the house he lived in, the blessings he had would not have been the same as somebody who is faithful.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The strange thing about that people would say immediately, oh, that's horrible, that's awful. No, it's it's not horrible and awful because there's no tear in there's no sin in heaven, there's no jealousy in heaven, there's no covetous cys in heaven. So those who have less, less rewards are still going to be one hundred percent great, full of joy, close with the Lord Jesus, having an amazing time, and they're not going to be bemoaning and jealous and coveting the rewards somebody else has, because that's there's all of sin, and there is no effective sin in the Bible, or it's rather no effective sin in heaven.
Speaker 1: And some would say, Brian Tom there is no hell, because after all, God is merciful. And if someone living in the back reaches of Afghanistan or in the Congo had no relationship to Jesus whatsoever, it wouldn't be fair to send them to heaven or to that they're not in hell. But then I think Adolf Hitler, I think of Vladimir Putin, I think is jij al Ping. I think of the horrible things happening right now in Africa, especially in Nigeria, to Christians being buried alive and martyred by Islamic fundamentalists, killed by the thousands.
Speaker 4: Eyes.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you the question flat out. Is there a hell for people like Vladimir Putin?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a hell for people who are nice old ladies who make bake goods, for people who've never received Jesus. Yes, of course, yes, you get to heaven, not based on what you do. You get to heaven based on what Jesus has done. He says on the cross, it's finished He goes to the cross to satisfy the penalty. That's why he goes. So if we reject that, reject him, we're rejecting that life we've chosen that that's what we've chosen to do, And there has to be some justicism and the cosmos now that if you believe in reincarnation, the justice system as well. I get to come back the next life, and I work myself higher and higher up the change, so I get the brass ring. I keep doing it till I earn my salvation. Salvation comes to the grace of Jesus. It comes because he just says I got you, and you can't do anything about it other than receiving. He's good, he's loving, He'll take anybody at any time. And it's not what you do, it's what he has done.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: When I drive around crossroads, I've been there one time. Are you inviting me for a Christmas spectacular? I was amazed at the thousands and thousands of cars. Before you and your band of renegade showed up about twenty five years ago from Pittsburgh, there was no crossroads. It didn't exist. If you could look back from the first time you drove into into Oakley until today's date. Would you be satisfied with what you've done?
Speaker 2: Oh? I would have been stunned. It's gone way beyond anything we would have thought of when we started in a rented middle school in Hyde Park. Utterly stunned. So yeah, pinch ourselves that God has chosen us worthy to be used to some degree. But am I satisfied now? Oh? I'm not satisfied now. No, no, I'm not saying I'm not satisfied. And so every single person Cincinnati has a vibrant relationship with their creator, every single one. Now, the good news is it looks like, from what I'm seeing with studies and surveys, that America is starting to bounce back towards God. We're starting to realize that the godless, godless worldview that says, well, there was blackness and there was go and now there's you isn't working. Maybe that's why we have such epidemic proportions of fear and anxiety, because if you don't believe that there's a divine being that has your back, you dam' well better be afraid. You absolutely should be anxious because you don't have any Backstop people like you or I, Bill, or anybody receives Jesus. There's a backstop for us. We walk in confidence. We know that our worth is based on what he says our worth is. And he says, you're worth me dying for you. That's the worth. It's like the ultimate illustration for me is if I call you up and you have a mortgage and I say, Bill, how much is is your mortgage? And you say whatever the amount is? And I say, well, the thing is, Bill, somebody walked in the bank and paid off your mortgage. And then if I said, well, so how much do you owe? Well the answer, well, I gotta find that. No, you owe nothing. You know, your mortgage is paid off. Jesus pays the debt. The debt paid, and that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Is more expected from people like you as supposed expected from someone who lives in the central part of Africa?
Speaker 4: Unknown?
Speaker 1: In other words, is the expectations of Jesus higher for Brian Tome than for other people?
Speaker 2: In a sense, I hear people say, well, you have to live by a different standard, as if I can't have a beer and other people can. That's not what That's not true. What is true is to who much is given, much is required. So when I have been entrusted the number of people that we have across Roads, and I've been entrusted the amazing amount of generosity dollars that people give, God expects that to be put into play and honor him. And so yeah, I think I'm held to a different standard and that I've got more stuff to take care of and to put into place for the Kingdom of God. And if I don't, God's not gonna be happy. And I'm gonna hear about it.
Speaker 1: How many members across Roads are They're currently about members.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't have official members offer roles. If you if you said how many people call Crossroads home, it's about fifty thousand. If you said how many people came to Easter, it's I haven't had the final numbers. We were praying for sixty, so sixty got somewhere around there. Yeah, and then every week you got people who were in a who were you know, in a site, or they're streaming from someplace around the country. So it's really hard to say. And that's fine. We're not here to count noses and buck bracks for We're here to bless anybody.
Speaker 1: We can Brian Tom, thank you. I'm glad were hooked up again. I'm I guess it was the post passing that brought us together. Will you acknowledge in any way the passing of Pope Francis.
Speaker 2: Uh, well right now and say, I'm sad in he's passed, and I'm glad he lived his life as faithfully as he could. But we won't have a thing across roads that recognizes that. All right, Brian, that's not an anti Catholic thing. We didn't do something that recognized Billy Graham either. It's like, great, those people who are dead in heaven, they don't want to be celebrated, move on. They're like, get all the words go and to whom.
Speaker 1: Much is given, from whom much is expected. And I would say, Brian Tom is kind of have a good ledger in that regard. I hope one day to see you in heaven above. And I want to ask you if we got thirty seconds remaining. Is the true burial side of Jesus? Was it in the Garden tomb or in the Holy Sepulcher Church.
Speaker 2: It was in the Holy Seppler Church, no question. It doesn't feel that way because it's hyper religious. No question, it's there. It's not the garden to him, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Brian Tom, thank you very much, thank you.
Speaker 2: Ah right, Bill, We'll see a brother.
Speaker 1: Let's continue with more. Brian Tom, one of the leaders of the Christian faith here in Greater Cincinnati, and let's continue with more. Red Spaceball kicks off about five forty on news radio seven hundred WLW by Billy Cunningham, the Great American and some exciting news this morning. Came out to the Hamny County Commission's office headed up by Disney's tree House and about a agreement with the Bengals. The Memoran of Understanding has been signed. You may know the last few weeks I had on Matt Huffman, Speaker of the House, loan with others who are saying, well, we're not going to move until we see if the county and the Bengals actually have a deal joining you and I now is Denise tree House, Hamny County Commissioner. Denise, can you tell the American people this afternoon kind of the memo of understanding and what it means for the Bengals to taxpayers and the American people kind of give us an overview.
Speaker 5: So the memorandum of understanding is about a one hundred and twenty million dollar investment between the team and the NFL into the county's asset, which is the stadium. The county is in for some of that as well, but we're going to do some of the improvements that have been identified through this master plan. You know, it's about elevators and escalators and plazas, seats and all the things that we need to do. But for the first time ever, the NFL is participating in that financial stack and the team is in substantially too. So it's a good day for the tax players because we're leveraging our money with the NFL and the team to get stuff done in that stadium.
Speaker 1: Now, how does this relate to the extension of the lease or a new lease, Because the last time I had you on about a week or ten days ago, you said it would be a downer if somehow the Bangals would exercise the two year option in a month or two, that would be a downer. How does that impact that extension?
Speaker 4: It doesn't.
Speaker 5: I mean the least extension that we were talking about is we're ongoing negotiations about that. We're at the table with the team. But this, I mean, if you look at it on its space, it's certainly a good sign that they are using their money, in the NFL's money to do these improvements. They got this money a while back. We need to move on it to make sure we can get it done by next year. And so that is the timing element here, but it's really important. It's part of the larger stack of projects, and so it's important that we leverage the NFL and the team's money to get this stuff done. You mentioned something else, and I want to dig in just a tiny bit about the process at the state level, because I've been asked, well, you know you didn't get in the budget. Well, let me correct that and say we did get in the budget. It was the governor's version of the budget where he put in the gaming fee for sports facilities. So that was us in the budget. It went to the House.
Speaker 2: The House took that out.
Speaker 5: Of the budget and put something different in for the Haslams. And now we're over on the Senate side negotiating the same thing. And so I don't know what's going to come out of the Senate, but I think it will be different from the governor's version or the House's version.
Speaker 1: One I had on Matt Hoffman. He said that the Haslam deal is different because in the HASLM. Browns deal, it's brand new money in some cornfield in southern Calahoga County, like two and a half three billion. The Bengal deal was different because it's an upgradest renovation that may generate a little bit of additional income. But Matt Hoffman is saying that the taxpayer can't be on the hook for any of these improvements unless the plan has shown that it's going to break even. So is the news dreat house saying that the plan is going to break even to the taxpayer.
Speaker 5: Well, listen, I don't want to be penalized because we did twenty years ago what Cyahoga is doing now. I mean that that's that's not fair. And so you know, for the and by the way, Cyahoga County and the City of Cleveland are not on board with the HASLM deal. So I just want to be really clear that the team that Cincinnati Bengals and the county commissioners are on the same page. That is not the case in northern Ohio. And I just want to point that out because I think it's important. But why would you know, we tick off forty million dollars for the state every year on the banks and that's the Bengals, it's the Reds, it's the collective. But why should we be penalized for that when it comes to, you know, funding these assets that have benefited the state all these years. I mean, that's that's not right. And so the scheme that they've come up with for the Hansloms doesn't fit what we're doing here in Hamilton County. And that's what we've said.
Speaker 4: To the speaker.
Speaker 5: I mean he heard us loud and clear. And so we're still, you know, working with the state to try to come up with something that works for everybody.
Speaker 1: Is this contingent? Is this one hundred and eighty four million, two thirds from the Bengals slash NFL about and one third from the Hamilton County? Is this contingent on a long term, long term deal?
Speaker 5: Are you talking about the MoU? Are you talking about the large term?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hear the MoU. The one hundred and eighty four million announced more or less today, say about one twenty from the Bengals, about sixty four from the county. Is that contingent on signing a long term deal or is that is that going to proceed?
Speaker 5: Nonetheless, it is proceeding now. But if we don't come to an agreement on a long term lease, then we can claw back and we can drop out of this deal that we just made. So we've got an out clause in there. But you know, as you know, Lily, I'm an optimist, and so I shouldn't be. And so right now we've been meeting with the Bengals. We're working this together. We're working in collaboration on this MoU and also at the state level, and.
Speaker 4: So you know, so far, so good.
Speaker 5: But we do have a provision in here that we can get out of it if need be.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And so the Bengals fans to show up in August for a preseason game or September, that's only about five six months away. Will anything be seen at that point?
Speaker 5: Well, we're always doing renovations, but these projects that are in here, the reason we had to do it this week or next it's actually going to be next week is that there's so much lead time because of the nature of the projects. And so these projects are going to go online in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: All right, twenty twenty six waiting are you twenty twenty six? Which you know? Are you optimistic that the Bengals were not exercised a two year but rather seek a long term deal. You're at the table, You're meeting with Katie and Troy, and I guess Mike Brown and others, the lawyers, et cetera and Gableman. Are you optimistic the Bengals want to do a long term deal and not a stop gap.
Speaker 5: I am hopeful that we will come to a long term deal by the end of the deadline. That's what I'm now. They can exercise the extension of the current leis that is not good for the county or the taxpayers, and so I'm hopeful that we don't get to that point, but rather have a long term deal instead.
Speaker 1: When I spoke to you about ten days ago, you kind of said one third from the county, one third from the state, one third from the Bengal slash NFL. Is that still there? Because I sent on to Matt Huffin, by the way, the stories, and I'm sure you're in contact with him, But nonetheless, is that still the deal? From your mind? One third state, one third Bengals, one third county.
Speaker 5: So we've always talked about this as a third to third, a third. I mean it's fluid, a little fluid. I mean, don't hold me two the exec numbers. But yeah, I mean I think that's the idea that it's a stack that works for the taxpayers and you know, works to make sure that facility is upgraded to the level we need it to be because it's not only about the games. It's about concerts and football games, high school football games and other events and making that thing more accessible. And so it's a good you know, it's it's it's something we need to do for the general public. But yeah, we've always talked about this in the third of third to third, and that's what we're shooting for.
Speaker 1: The first phase is eight thirty renovation for the pay corps, with three to four phases rolling out through twenty twenty nine. Anticipated the cost of a two hundred and ten million per phase. So when you talk about this phase in the MoU, this is one of four phases. Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right, and a good point that this is not money that's utilized all in one year. I mean, we can't. We don't have a expacity to do that, and so it rolls out over five years or so. And so it's not and this is important to know about the state. It's not like we're asking the state, Hey, give us all of that money upfront to participate in this financial sect. It's a burn, right, It goes over a few years, and so that's yeah, that's the nature of what we're looking for here.
Speaker 1: Lastly, are you working toward the idea that the county will control the events more than the Bengals with the veto power? Will that veto power be gone?
Speaker 5: We are looking to get something in the new lease that gives us the ability to bring more events into that stadium to the benefit of the taxpayers. We're not doing it now, and we need to do it.
Speaker 1: And when will you sign the deal the MoU When would that be done?
Speaker 5: We're shooting for next Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Next Tuesday, all right, Denise, congratulations? We think is it premature to say congratulations?
Speaker 5: I want to say, Willie, this is a new look. We've never had the NFL give us any money for our stadium before, and the team's participating in a big way here, So yeah, I think it's good.
Speaker 3: News, all right.
Speaker 1: Denise tree House, thank you very much. I know you're in meetings, but thanks for coming on this afternoon of the Bill Cunningham Show. Denise, thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks clearly God Bush.
Speaker 1: Let's continue with more. Well, there it is. And you might recall when I had on Madam Adam Byrd. Sloaney had on Senator Blessing, then I had on the Speaker of the House, then I had on the Governor. And this is fluid. Underline the word fluid, because in the Governor's budget submitted to the House there was money for the Bengals and the House because of the increase in the so called syntaxes. The House took out the syntaxes. They're not in the business of increasing taxes and took out the Bengals deal. Matt Hoffman was with you and I about a week ago in which he said we're not going to put money into a deal unless the taxpayer breaks even. And based upon that more discussions are being held. And I guess then each tree House's point is this that the Bengals deal was is fresh money, but don't hold out against Hambleton County. Be goes twenty five years ago this would have been a fresh deal. Now this stadium needs to be upgraded. This is one hundred and eighty four million dollars one of four phases. And in the first phase, NFL and the Bengals are putting up one hundred and twenty million and the county is putting up sixty four that's about two thirds on the Bengals and one third in the county. Is that good news? Many people think so. And the Bengals and the NFL and the Hamley County and the city wants the state lawmakers to treat the Bengals in the city in an equitable and fair fashion compared to the compared to the Browns and Jimmy Haslam. And you know, up to this point, we've not had much sway over Columbus because they don't think Cincinnati is part of the state almost And now it's just like Covington doesn't act as if Frankfurt thinks they're part of Kentucky. But will continue. This is a positive. So much negativity running around this is a positive. Ill Let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham seven hundred WLW by Billy Cunningham, The Great America, And we have coming up in about ten min John Zinzer, he is with the group opposing this massive development on Hyde Park Square. I think all of us. I spend quite a bit of time in hyde Park Square and also in Mount lookout at Zips and Greaters, etc. Sitting in the park. It's kind of wonderful. I think Hyde Park is the jewel of the city of Cincinnati. And the developers come up with a concept which would be against the law unless council changes the law of a ninety room boutique hotel, one hundred and twenty unit apartment building, mix of retail and restaurant spaces, and also an underground parking garage of two to three hundred cars underground, and the Hyde Park Neighborhood councils unanimously against it, along with many other community councils representing about eighty thousand voters. I think the train is on the track. It might be too late, but this afternoon's starting about one o'clock. It was about three minutes from now. City Council is going to take it up through a committee called the Equitable Growth and Housing Committee, of which which all the members of council are a member of this under committee So if they all vote yes this afternoon, yes, that means tomorrow when they vote on the final deal, it'll be a done deal. Honestly, the development is maybe required, but it's way too large, way too big, completely out of whack. In fact, it calls for a ninety nine story tall building ninety foot tall building right now, Zonian calls for about a fifty six tall building, which is five levels, five stories. That this would throw shade all over Hyde Park Square, change the character forever. The residents are against it, Correct me if I'm wrong, But I thought the purpose of elective representatives is to reflect the will of the American people they represent. Am I right or wrong about that? And this thing would go down eighty to twenty if it was put to a vote. But because of the city council we have, they may proceed. We'll find out in two or three hours plus tomorrow. Plus I want to thank again Denise Treehouse for coming on talking about the the supposed Bengals deal. Bengals are going to play pay about two thirds of the stop gap at pay Corps and the county about one third is of course, is all contingent on signing a long term lease, which needs to be done by June thirtieth of this year, what about nine weeks away, And if that's signed, then this deal jumps in and they begin upgrading the whole facility. But that also is contingent on the state of Ohio. That is Matt Huffman, and that is all the representative Senator Bill Blessing and others doing their part, which Denise Tree House wants to be about one third. So they still need about three hundred million dollars from the state. And if you listen to Matt Huffman, the Speaker of the House I had on last week, it doesn't look like that money is coming. But he said that if the NFL, the Bengals, and the county strike a deal, it's in writing. Let us know what you want us to put in, we'll take it up. So Hope Springs Eternal. Coming up next is John Zinzer with the Hyde Park Group that's opposing this huge development and it's being taken up in about ten seconds on City Council one o'clock Home of Your reds add at about five forty tonight A news radio seven hundred WLW Cincinnati. Jill coming into Great America once again, Reds Baseball kicks off about five forty to night. First pitch about six forty. We'll see what happens in Miami, but big doings continuing this afternoon in Cincinnati. Headline in the inquiry Hyde Park Square development set for key vote today sometime by the guess is by three or four o'clock. And it's a key vote because the nine members of this particular Equitable Growth and Housing Committee are of course the same nine members on city Council. So after they vote to greenlight this thing, I would anticipate the vote which stay the same. Johan, you and I now is John Zenzer. He's one of the organizers of Save Hyde Park Square. And John Zenzer, welcome to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, John, can you tell the American people this Tuesday afternoon exactly what's happening later this afternoon and what it means for Hyde Park Square. Just give the American people an overview.
Speaker 3: Well, first thing is to say thanks to you for the opportunity. I'm really glad to be speaking with you. Here's what's happening this afternoon. The Equitoble Growth and Housing Committee will hear this ordinance it's the only thing on the docket for them. There's nothing else that's going to happen, and this ordinance is offering a planned development variance to a local developer who wants to drop a building the size of the container ship onto the south side of Hyde Park. They've Hyde Park Square and lots of other people do not want this to happen. There are more than fourteen of their neighborhood groups and four civic organizations who have written to the city officially having taken votes and said please do not do this, And yet it seems the city's going to press ahead. The last piece that needs to come across is Dave Hyde Park Square, the Hyde Park Neighborhood Council. No one is opposed to growth and development. Everybody's opposed to this development.
Speaker 1: So to be specific, that this large container ship is going to have a ninety room boutique hotel one hundred and twenty unit against his owning, which is by illegal unless they change the zoning, which is today might happen a ninety room boutique hotel, one hundred and twenty unit apartment building, a mix of retail and restaurants, plus a large parking garage. Where's the parking garage going to go.
Speaker 3: Underground in a place that used to be a lake. That doesn't strike me as a great idea.
Speaker 1: How many how many? How many people have been parking in this large underground garage?
Speaker 4: Well they're talking.
Speaker 3: See this is one of the really key elements Bill. We actually don't know the way the rules work now for planned developments in this variance, they only have to provide a concept. So we actually you said one hundred and twenty rooms, maybe might be one hundred and fifty, might be ninety. The hotel could be ninety rooms could be bigger if they get the plan development. The fact of the matter is almost anything can happen without any more public engagement or content.
Speaker 1: When I drive around Hyde Park, which I do quite often, I love going to Zips and driving over to Greaters look around. It's beautiful. I think it's the crown jewel of the city of Cincinnati, and the city council wants to change it. They say it's going to revive foot traffic, business activity, much needed housing falls in line with the goals of the city. The housing I anticipate is going to be extremely expensive. If you look for upscale apartments anymore. There's three to five thousand dollars a month. So how many more do you have an idea? How many thousands new people are going to come to hyde Park Square in order to shop and eat? Is that faired out yet? How many thousands of people are going to come every day to Hyde Park Square?
Speaker 3: Well, it's certainly clear that the developer says that, But the fact of the matter is that's really not clear whatsoever. The truth of the matter is, we don't even know what the rents are going to be there. If you take the rent from their closest other building, which is just less than a mile away, those rents start at three eight hundred dollars a month. Now, why would anybody come to Hyde Park Square. It's exactly the.
Speaker 1: Reasons you say.
Speaker 3: The local businesses that have been there for decades, The small local businesses on hyde Park Square have been there much longer than the national average. And people keep saying things like, but look, there's all these empty storefronts. All those empty storefronts are in the building the developer has bought and one by one, while maintaining the letter of the law of the least is they have moved people out. They are currently engaged in a lawsuit with one local business who's fighting them over being evicted effectively from their property. Why people come to Hyde Park Square, just as you said, is for the experience, the quality, the liveability, the way it feels. There are so many people I've talked to with stories about getting ice cream at that Greater's so many people who remember going to the movie theater, all kinds of things like that. It used to be, you know, when you were a boy bill that park. You could live without a car on that square. There were groceries, there were pharmacies. That's not the case anymore. Everything has been moved over to the malls, et cetera. A hide park has managed to survive because of the specialness of its feel. If this PD goes through, that feel is over.
Speaker 1: And the other issues. These empty businesses are a self fulfilling prophecy. When the developer evects small businesses then go to city council and said, take a look, the population of Hyde Park Square is going down. It's a that's it's true, which is not true. And then also they're saying, well, after all there's empty businesses that their eviction coused and so talk about the population of Hyde Park. I think it's in pretty good shape. I love that little park in the middle. So empty businesses. You've addressed what about population going down in Hyde Park and City Council's got to step into help.
Speaker 3: That is exactly the key piece there, and we'll come back to that in just a second. While city population going into the two twenty twenty was dropping by about six percent, Hyde Park population actually went up by more than four percent. When the developer presented look at the number of businesses, they undercounted by almost half. We did a separate study to see how many businesses there were. We came up with approximately one hundred and fifty in the area. They talked about there being maybe ninety something less than that. It's really problematic in that regard small businesses have succeeded. The Hyde Park Business Association, the collection of those small businesses, is one of the civic organizations who opposes this. You would think if it was good for business, they would be for it. It's not good for business, and you're exactly right. The check and balance to this is what's been lost. City council has lost sight of the neighborhood inputs, the neighborhood councils, the local associations.
Speaker 4: Those are the.
Speaker 3: Groups of people who actually voted for them. What they've not lost sight of the bank accounts of the developers, the impact that that has on their reelectability, etc. Is something that's going to be put clearly on the table during this vote.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing, I found it incredible to think that there's going to be an underground parking garage in Hyde Park under a small lake, and you don't know if it's going to be fifty It has to be several hundred spots of underground parking, and most people today don't want to go to underground parking for any reason at all. But unless that is something that's not determined yet correct this afternoon, it's still not known.
Speaker 3: That's absolutely And see, this is the thing. City council is actually not voting on two hundred and fifty parking spots, three hundred and fifty parking spots. They're not voting on one hundred and twenty apartments, ninety hotel rooms. They're voting on what kind of city we want to live in. That parking structure is going to run into all kinds of complex problems of construction that are way past my abilities. But I have been told over and over again structural engineers, architects, others who have looked at it. You're talking about building an underground facility in a place that regularly floods when we have a good bit of rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no question. Now I can see Hyde Park and also Zips has been underwater at times because of a lack of sewerge, a lack of clean water. But leaving their vacation, I can only imagine if you drop two or three hundred underground parking what that's going to look like. What is Hyde Park a neighbor council and these other councils. You know a lot of times you like politicians to answer to the constituents who put them there and actually affected by the decisions of council. Those are two important considerations. What does Hyde Park Neighborhood Council say in those neighboring and I would have think those most effect it would be in favor of it. If it was good for Hyde Park, those who lived there would say we want this.
Speaker 6: That's not the case. What did Hyde Park Neighborhood Council do with this proposal.
Speaker 3: And I should be clear I don't speak for Hyde Park Neighborhood Council. I'm a citizen working with say Hyde Park Square. But the Hyde Park Neighborhood Council has written a very clear statement that they voted on unanimously saying, please, City Council, don't pass this ordinance, don't let this variants go through. So did Mount Lookout You mentioned one of the neighbors, But you know what this coalition of the neighborhoods is from east to west the entire city. You go from out in the east with Mount Washington all the way over to the west with Sailor Park.
Speaker 1: This is a city wide issue.
Speaker 3: This isn't a Hyde Park issue, and this could set a precedent where lots of other neighborhoods would be impacted. And this coalition is not coming apart after this particular issue. This coalition is going to grow and it's going to continue. And that's part of what we're saying to city council today. You are going to have to answer for this vote, and we are not going to let you start this as a president for future actions in other neighborhoods. Most of the neighborhoods who signed on with us have all had problems with this same developer. We have a story after story, both by individuals and by neighborhood councils up we asked for X, they said they were going to do X, and then they did why and they rise that because once they get the planned development variance, there is nothing that the local communities can do to change things. There's almost no opportunity for input once the planned developed is in place. So our big call to city council is, you've just voted on a new set of laws last June, and now you're going to basically crumple that up and throw it over your shoulder and say the developer gets to do what they want, regardless of what the connected community say, regardless of what the local zoning says, regardless of the UDOD which will be applied to this. But it leaves us almost no leverage in conversation with the developer if city council votes for this PD.
Speaker 1: Well, John Zinzer, I know politicians fairly well. They're banking on the fact that in six or seven months when they stand for re election or election, you and others are going to ignore the comments in April that you're going to have short term memory loss and not show up to vote them out of office. Because if politicians thought, Okay, we're going to lose our gig, we're going to lose our job by doing this against the residents, guess what, they wouldn't do it. But they're counting on short term memory loss. But more importantly, I see this shade issue of this large structure. Explain that to the American people.
Speaker 3: Two points regarding the politicians will come back there. The shade is an issue. You're talking about a building. They could go as high as ninety three feet. The zoning restriction in Hyde Park is fifty feet. That's more than seventy percent taller than everything else that it's allowed to be there. It will cast a shadow, and they say, oh, but we're going to do setbacks. It won't be that noticeable. I don't know what the impact of the shade will be, but I'll tell you that if you're standing on Hyde Park Square today, this beautiful sunny Cincinnati spring day, and you're standing there, once this container ship is dropped in place, it's going to feel completely different. Whether you're standing in the sun or you're standing in the shade. To your other point about the politicians, I'll make you the promise right now. We're not going away. We will not forget. There's probably three pathways that come out of this. Should city Council vote the wrong way and approve the PD One, there is almost certainly going to be a lawsuit because there's been a lot of questions about how the zoning process itself was handled. Two, there may well be a citywide referendum run Butt's Three. I can almost guarantee you a political action committee will be formed around this, and the bottom three four five city council members are easily replaceable with the size and strength of the community that we have put into contact. And they've already been told this. They're going to hear it again today in the committee meeting, and I will come back on your show anytime and tell you how that group is doing and what they're getting done and what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: I can imagine the two to four year building process is going to make residents of Hyde Parks Wqua are miserable for the next two to four years. I can imagine building nine and ten story tall buildings underground parking garages, Leveling parts of Hyde Park Square is going to have a tremendous impact for the next two to four years. And as you said, on.
Speaker 3: The citizens absolutely and on the small businesses both, and we've asked over and over again for them to provide something called a maintenance of transportation report, which is what's going to happen while you're doing construction. Last year, parts of this area just got some new roadway refinishing that killed business for a number of small businesses. It ruined quality of life. People were sitting and putting in traffic jams in Hyde Park, a place that doesn't have really that kind of traffic. It doesn't have that kind of flow. We already have a pretty major issue right at Hyde Park School, right at the corner of Edwards An Observatory, and this is a great concern. One of the competing news organizations totally got the story wrong in saying, oh, the development is two tenths of a mile away. That's untrue. The development's major entrance and exits are going to be literally facing Hyde Park School and facing Knox To which has a preschool. So you're talking about having construction equipment rolling through areas where children walk to school every day. They're talking about changing the traffic pattern. You're talking about taking away on street parking, which creates the buffer between these children walking to school and moving vehicles. The sixth graders don't stand up well against moving cars.
Speaker 1: John Zinzer, will see what happens later today or tomorrow. According to the news media accounts, there's going to be a vote today and then before council tomorrow. And you're saying, if you lose today or tomorrow maybe about three or four o'clock, or lose tomorrow, this will not be the end. Lawsuits, referendums a pack, and they're counting on you to have short term memory loss that they ram this thing through. I would anticipate the developer will quickly put a shovel in the ground to start the project, and I would anticipate that the citizens to whom this effects will not forget in six months what was done to them and not for them. Basically, we're all in favor of development, but this thing is just two damn and it needs to be stopped. John Zinzer. We'll open up the lines of communication more as this event goes. Hopefully they'll be killed today.
Speaker 6: If not We'll continue to talk in the days and week said and John Zinzer, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show.
Speaker 1: And you're a great American. Thank you, John, my pleasure, thank you, God bless you. Let's continue with more counsels how to be reflective of the citizens when they pass laws, rules and regulations that affect them. And when you have a committee called equitable growth and how equitable growth in housing when the rents are between four and six thousand dollars a month. I don't know how equitable that is. Let's continue with more news coming up at your room of the Red starting about five forty tonight on news Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: I wasn't trying to irritate people.
Speaker 7: But it it's just I never know what's coming out.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've said anything controversial today. Oh hello, quiet, and I'm SCO. I'm broadcasting all right, segment. We have a new deal with pay Course Stadium. Your comments and how about that Willie? I think Sheldon Braun and we're doing all the HVAC work down there is busy.
Speaker 6: I mean they got it done, you got it done. I mean, what's next? Ukraine?
Speaker 1: And now hold Offsha in peace. Hold on right there. Oh, this is contingent, you know, but hold up on that car wise gentlemen on the state of Ohio right coming in and supplying about three hundred million dollars. So now the pickleball is in the state's court. And because your friend Matt Hoffman, the Speaker of the House, said we want a deal. Deal, now the deal is getting closer. Segment, get us into the Stooge report.
Speaker 6: Please will he the Stuoge reporters approp service over local tep Star heating and air conditioning.
Speaker 1: Dealers tamestar quality you.
Speaker 6: Could feel in Cincinnati called Sheldon Braun at Bron Heating at five one, three, three eight, five seventy seven six. We got Sheldon Bron. Where is Sheldon Braun? Where's your dad?
Speaker 1: Is a doctor?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He's in a doctor. We need some HVAC work done right here in the building. Is that correct? You sure do? Get him involved? Amen to that segment. Give me some sports and make it quick. Let's see.
Speaker 6: Well ye Also, we want to thank Lear's Prime Market, uh for our lunch today.
Speaker 1: One of the lunches. I had three of them. That's why that's why you look the way you look.
Speaker 6: At Finest meets Trust Lears Prime Market located in beautiful downtown Milford, Milford Lears Prime dot Com. Home of the Eagles in don Henley right there at Hamilton County and the Bengals here we go. Reached an agreement with Andy Buker to reach an agreement.
Speaker 1: They've reached an agreement to reach an agreement like that.
Speaker 6: So they're going to make one hundred and eighty four million dollars in improvements to pay course stadium next year how much and one hundred and eighty four mill and reach a long term agreement by June thirtieth of this year.
Speaker 1: I had on your friend Denise three Houses says she's cautiously optimistic. When the state jumps in with an extra three hundred million over the next five.
Speaker 6: Years, the team would pay one hundred and twenty mil the county sixty four US.
Speaker 1: The other way around it. No, it's ninety five percent for the county and five percent for the Bengals. This one's two thirds to the Bengals, one third for the county.
Speaker 6: Under the deal deal, the Bengals would renovate club lounges and suites. Of course, we never get invited there improved concessions. Sheldon Brown invited me the county would put in new escalators, refurbish the elevators, elevators, and upgrade the power grid another technology.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? You have any idea? I guess wi fi. Go ahead. Let's see.
Speaker 6: So the Bengals have until June thirtieth's that's the date one Riverfront Stadium open in nineteen seventy. I was there segment to decide whether the team will extend its current lease another two years.
Speaker 1: That would be a negative.
Speaker 6: The current lease expires June thirtieth of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Well, the Bengals and the county agree that if they don't extend the lease, then the old lace continues. That's a negative. Would you agree? Yes? Please continue? Let's see. Will he have more transactions for the Reds today? What is it?
Speaker 6: Rehab assignments for Triple A Louisville left hand or Sam Mall who's hurt. He had a left shoulder impingement, shoulder and pinchment. And catcher Tyler Stevenson is on his way back here. Of course, he's had that oblique injury since spring training. So now they're going to rehab at Louisville, and they're one step back from being into the lineup.
Speaker 1: I guess that had six hits. What about that guy? They're going to keep him?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 6: Max Meyer last night was dealing for Miami. A career high fourteen k's and six scoreless innings of the Marlins beat the Red six to three.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get this traight. He pits six innings and at fourteen strike yeap. That means of the possible eighteen, he struck out fourteen. Is that fair?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: And they that was the day before the Red score twenty four runs and twenty five.
Speaker 1: Well, they retired, they retired, they retired. They admitted they toured twenty four runs and no run day the eighth correct got three irrelevant runs. Yes, they wanted, you know, kick wanted to make it close.
Speaker 6: Let's see game two tonight, Edward Cabrera up against Nick Martinez, five forty Sports Talk, Rnell Carriers, Inside Pitch and then the Kelsey Chevrolet Extra Inning Show after the game. Let's see also high school softball Willie Lebanon's Sophia Shielder. There was a perfect game with sixteen strikeouts. Warriors feed West Claremont six nothing. Kings defeated Little Miami seven nothing against the Canoes. King's softball coach John shawt Shawblean his two hundredth career wine congratulation there. The NFL Draft, the National Football League Draft begins its three day run Thursday night in Green Bay.
Speaker 1: Spot by Temp Star and Sheldon Brown.
Speaker 6: The Best Bengals coverage starts Thursday night and six seven undred WLW Stone statements. NFL Drafts Spectacular, Live from the Holy Grail. Everybody will be there, Lance Tony Pike, what about James Reen, Rocky gonna show up?
Speaker 1: I still belieze. I think Chack chasing down further?
Speaker 6: Lance snakes, Uh, good luck to it.
Speaker 1: Luck with that.
Speaker 6: It's presented by Orthos since the Orthopedics and Sports Medicine and Emerald Federal Emory Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 1: Easy for you to say.
Speaker 6: Let's see back to on the NFL. The Cleveland Browns and New York Giants. Here we go are getting calls about their picks or Thursday. The Browns have the second overall pick, the Giants number three.
Speaker 1: The Browns in and out of the quarterback they have had no success. Well, they got Joe, they got Joe Fla. Yeah, Tennessee.
Speaker 6: Is Shawn Watson not entertaining offers for the pick number one?
Speaker 1: He's getting massage right now. He's unavailable. Shawn Watson probably so cost him. Sad news today.
Speaker 6: Willy Cincinnati Bearcats freshman player football player Jeremiah Kelly and Early and Roll Lee, who went through spring practice with a team, passed away unexpectedly yesterday afternoon at his residence. No cause of death, eighteen years old, out of Avon, Ohio.
Speaker 1: Not good oh Man. Hopefully find out what happened. His family's got to be devastated, completely devastating. Amen, We'll see what happens there. So your anticipatory that this is going to be the deal deal that Matt Hoffman, the Speaker of the House, will putting the money, Mike do wanna put in the money, Mike Brown and putting the money, Paul H. Brown and putting the money, Katy Blackburn will putting the money, Troy Blackburn putting the money, and you will put in the money. It's a taxpayer. Are you confident yes or no?
Speaker 6: Yes, I think they're going to get a deal done, a deal deal. Well, they got disagreement. I mean that's the first step. It's a deal. To make a deal, it's a deal. But I mean, at least at least they got it. You know, they're not taking it to the you know, the the midnight deadline.
Speaker 1: How about the taxpayer weighing into the ease, three House says, no, we've already done it once segment thirty years ago. Go take it to the tax pank. No, don't want to do that. They're gonna give a billionaire how much money out of my pocket? Did that once? And then you also have the Reds, you have the Guardians, you got minor league baseball, thither and fro blue jackets, Blue jackets, they like.
Speaker 6: Some money, money, money, money, I'm sure you well you see what probably won some Dayton, Ohio state they get most of the money, Toledo, Akron, all of them get money.
Speaker 1: Wittenberg, Middletown, Middle Tucky. Yeah, oh, I don't know. I don't know. I mean, we're gonna see what's going on.
Speaker 6: But at least they got at least they have come to an agreement. We got No, we got an agreement for an agreement. But I mean still it's like do the other agreements. It's a right step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: The Bengals are bringing up two thirds of this money on phase one.
Speaker 6: Now that so now they need this if they if the state's in, that's it, right.
Speaker 1: I sent Matt Huffman, the Speaker of the House, a note with the articles from here, and he sent back something that said, interesting is that a yes, listen to you.
Speaker 6: You could be like the middleman this whole deal, and you're dealing with Republicans.
Speaker 1: Republicans like a deal. Deal, Republicans like a deal. I'm just saying what happens. And the difference is the Bengals went without the state's involvement directly on bonds thirty some years ago. They've already put the money in in a sense, while the Cleveland Browns are building their three billion dollar edifice in a farm field that has nothing in it. So the argument to Matt Huffman that this is new money is kind of not a good one. Denise drie House says, we've already put the money in. It's a taxpayer, correct sales tax. We paid this already. We would like a deal deal to give us our money back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Does that make any sway with them? Absolutely not, No, no, no, Mike Dwine too. He wants to tax sin like cigarettes. Juse, well, he wants to get the deal. He wants to get the money in so he can get good tickets, good tickets he belongs to. He. I mean, they're gonna have a new governor what next year?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Either A Yost? Or can you save a A Ramaswami?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I like saying his name because I say it so well. Of a Swammy or David Yost? He was here the other day? Does he stopped buying? Pretty cool guy, he's taller. One thing happened has never happened before we had younger ladies lined up. It happens to me every day. Get a picture. Of course, women came here from the offices to get pictures with a A Rama Swam. Has that ever happened with David Yoster, Mike Dwine or you? No happens to you and him? And that's yay. We're hunks. Yep. We always say wanted by the ladies. But he's a star when he in your own mind, that's the problem. That's the truth. That's the problem. Tell my wife that and I get no response at all, none, But she says, I look terrible. My hairstick. Well, I don't dress right, but well I can tell she's out of town because I'm looking mess today. I got you got more colors on in a ring? I like to be colorful.
Speaker 6: And then also she said, I don't know when when she leaves the trist and.
Speaker 1: What Wendy's McDonald's, Montgomery and ribs, hit it graters and and udf Well you got to go to Frishes right, Well, I don't know about that, Dolly and fishes, the big boy and dog, but the fresh work out the deal. I like to go to a real fishes well like in Heartwell, it's a real fish. And then what do you get? Give me a super big boy, get rid of the bread in the middle, give me well done onion rings and a medium cherry coke and a piece of hot fudge cake to go and make it quick. It's not like Jack's. I'm gonna hurry. Yes, it sounds like Jackie, and make it quick. And so she's gone. What you have for dinner? I said, I had some bean soup and some crackers. Great. Really it was a super big boy and onion rings. She'll never know, and don't tell her segment. I won't say a thing all right once again, Sheldon, good to have you here, Temp star Quality. You can feel the main man is here, and say get me out of the suage report coming up next to John Lott about guns and shooting people much like others is. He's calling from downtown. He sees dead people.
Speaker 6: Willie and hounter of Temp Starr and Sheldon Braun and Braun heating a great golfer, and happy birthday today the Reds manager Terry Francona.
Speaker 1: Really, how old is henknown?
Speaker 6: He's old and like seventy or something, at least he's old, and happy Earth Day?
Speaker 1: Today's today? What have you done for the earth? Still here? I'm cutting my grass.
Speaker 6: We leave you with the immortal words of the Stewod Report.
Speaker 8: Our job every day is to try to kick somebody's ass. I mean, that's why we're here. How about last night, Tito? One might ask, just asking who's asked? Got lucky?
Speaker 1: It was Red's ass got kicked last night. It wasn't fish, it wasn't fish, but it was Red.
Speaker 6: Wait till tonight and then tomorrow afternoon. Then you go to Colorado and roll. They have won three games.
Speaker 1: Colorado has won three games of course, say Bob slid before the games. Correct, once again, gentlemen, thank you, no comment that is that? You know that's an unnamed hits it hit that again from Red's official.
Speaker 6: No comments, they're not saying anything. Nobody's talking to you from the Bengals or the Reds.
Speaker 1: What's the problem or Xavier Xavier wins women's tennis team or the golf team. Golf team. I like to play those ladies in golf. See what happens. Invited to the friendly confines. Absolutely, let's continue with more on news radio seven hundred WLW by Billy Cunningham. The Great Amaricon, of course, John Lott is called the guru of those who believe in the Second Amendment. Books out including More Guns, Less Crime is a great treatise on why an armed citizenry is certainly the best thing the law enforcement itself can have. And also he got many columns up, and one of the great ones he has up is what's going on now with the research that seemed to indicate that armed civilians stop active shooters more effectively than uniformed police who likely are not going to be at the scene. And first of all, John Lott spent years in the Trump Justice Department of the first term done a lot of research on the topping nose. He's forgotten more than most people know. And John Lott, Welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, on the Thursday shooting at Florida State and the person identified as a shooter is a guy named Eichner, and I understand his name's Phoenix Eichner. His mother was a deputy sheriff. And one thing I would add that about two hours after the shooting was announced sometime on Thursday, Jake Tapper immediately put on someone from Florida that talked about more gun laws are needed, obviously because this thing and all the laws we have an affect in Florida didn't work. Really, the bodies had not even gotten the room temperature before that radical left wanted to politicize another shooting for personal benefits, but nonetheless go over some of the issues in the Florida State shooting with Phoenix Eichner Icknor and what it teaches us about gun laws and their effectiveness in Florida.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I mean our guns were already banned in Florida State University campus when the attack occurred. The problem that you face with a lot of these laws is that they disarmed law body citizens, not the criminals. So if you have a criminal penalty for going in taking a gun into a gun free zone like that, for you or I, you know, if we spend a couple of years in prison for violating that type of rule, our lives would be completely changed. But let's say you're the person who's going to murder a couple people and wound others and violate multiple laws, and you're going to be facing multiple life sentences in any case, do you think a couple of years from your you know, fourth or fifth life is going to make a difference for whether or not that person's going to commit a crime. It's not going to be relevant to them. So all you've done with some of these laws is make it so that the law abiding, good citizens obey the rules, not the criminals. And the only thing that you've done is ensure for the criminal that they'll be the only person that's going to be armed there, and that makes it a lot easier for them to accomplish their goal in terms of killing people.
Speaker 1: And one of these so called activists on Thursday Afternoon with Jake Tapper and CNN talked about age restrictions. You know, in the wake of the Parkland Florida, Florida itself enacted responses to that. One of those was an age restriction for long gun sales. And of course this was not the weapons obtained by this murderer. If you had more and more age restrictions on gun sales, would that have made any difference at all in this case?
Speaker 4: Well, he obtained it from his mom, who's a deputy sheriff, So you would have had to ban the deputy sheriff from being able to go and get a gun in that case. But you know, if you look at all the math public shootings over the last twenty five years, what you're going to find is that the age ranges that commit the most math public shootings are basically twenty six to thirty and then thirty to forty. You know, So are you going to ban guns all the way up to age forty?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: What I think you need to look at is kind of what motivates these people. We don't know yet in this particular case. But I've read enough diaries, I've read enough manifestos for these mass murders to know that their goal is to get media coverage, and they know the more people they kill, the more media coverage they're going to get. Very frequently were reach State been saying, if I can only kill more people than such and such did, I'm going to be able to get even more media coverage. You have people who are suicidal. We've had people who are suicidal forever in the human race, but at some point in time people realize that they could get a lot of media coverage. So you have people who feel unappreciated and they know that if they go and kill lots of people, they'll get their names in the history books to quote what a number of them have said. And that's at least people will know that they were here. And so the question you have to ask is how do you take away that goal that they have. And the important thing there is to have somebody there quickly at the scene who's going to be able to stop them. So rather than having signs in front of these schools and other places that says the school is a gun free zone, you know, why not have a sign if you're talking about K through twelve schools that say warnings, what teachers and staff here are armed and will use their guns to go and protect students and others. You know, there's a reason why. So we have something like over ten thousand schools in the United States that have armed teachers. We've had school shootings, There's not been one school shooting where anybody's been wounded or killed at a school that allows teachers and staff to be able to coed care. All the attacks have occurred in those places where you have these gun freeze zone signs up.
Speaker 1: Well before we get to this public health survey, which you have article you wrote on April the ninth, which is fabulous, another one is red flag laws. Almost all these mass shooters have serious psychological with psychiatric problems, some treated, some not. And why did it take so long in the Nashville Christian School incident for that the truth to come out about why he selected that particular school. I think the answer is it didn't fit the liberal die drive about the shooter in the Nashville Christian School, And I'm not sure it's been well publicized why he chose that school. But I know, you know, why did that mass psychiatric killer pick that school to kill as many students as possible.
Speaker 4: We knew why she picked it in fact of the day of the shooting, because the Nashville Police Chief had gotten access to her diary or manifesto or whatever you want to call it, and she had made it clear that she had looked at other targets but had decided because there were people with guns at the other targets, not to go after those, and so she had picked the school, the Covenant School, to go after. And you know, these people may be crazy in some sense, but they're not stupid. You know, they know that they can kill more people if they go to a place where they're victims are defenseless and somebody's not going to be there to be able to go and stop them. They you know, when you go and you look at these attacks, these killers spend long periods of time planning. These six months is a short amount of time. You have people like the Sandy Hook killer who spent like two and a half years planning for his attack in that case. So they look through all these things, they look through the success of other mass murderers. They see that these mass murderers go I mean they explicitly acknowledge that they follow that these mass murderers go to places where victims can't defend themselves. You know, one of the things that just drives me nuts with regard to the media is the media may cover parts of these manifestos and diaries for these mass murders, and you're implying this in your question here, but they refuse, they absolutely refuse to discuss those parts of the manifestos and diaries where these killers explain why they picked the target that they did. Why isn't that news worth Why isn't that important for people to know that these guys are explicitly going to places where they know they're victims can't defend themselves because the government bans people from having guns in those areas.
Speaker 1: In fact, that a Florida State situation, if there were armed students or armed teachers, armed professors, maybe lives would have been saved, and likely Phoenix would not have picked Florida State because it is rare to have a psychiatric mass murderer pick at facility where he's likely to quickly shot, and red flag laws Florida has one doesn't apply in this case. Age restrictions doesn't apply, magazine restrictions don't apply, the assault weapons ban doesn't apply. Gun free zones doesn't apply. It does apply, but he picked a gun free zone. In fact, when Jake Tapper on Thursday afternoon, mandatory storage laws is another one, and these laws generally apply to keeping a gun locked up when there's a miner in the house. The elect shooter was twenty. I guess you could be a miner. But it makes it much more difficult called for an American to access a firearm when they need it, different times of stress, making things more dangerous, and so none of it works.
Speaker 4: Well, you know the problem is when you discuss when people discuss a lot of these laws, they talk about a possible benefit, but they don't talk about the costs. And you just mentioned one. So you go and mandate that people have to go and lock up their guns, they make them less accessible for people. It makes it easier for criminals to go and commit crimes against those people. In fact, what you find is that when states pass these safe storage laws, the rate that criminals break into people's homes and successfully commit crimes goes up. I'll give me one comparison. We have data on something called hot burglaries across different countries the United States, about thirteen percent of burglaries occur while the residents are at home. In a country like the UK, it's about sixty percent of the burglaries that occur have their residents at home when the burglary occurs. American burglars, their big time for doing burglaries is kind of in the middle of the day when people are likely to be out in a way. In the UK, they like to do burglaries in the evening precisely to make sure that people are at home. And the reason why they like to do that is because then they can force the people to go and tell them where their valuables are in the home and the big different and American burglars spent about twice as long casing a home before they break in compared to their British counterparts, and surveys that have been done indicate the reason why they spend so long casing a home in America as compared to in Britain is that their word about getting shot and one way to protect yourself from being shot is to make sure that nobody is home to go and do the shooting. In Britain, they actually prefer to have people there at home, as I say, because then they can tell them where their valuables are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what percent of Brits are armed at home? I think probably ninety nine percent are not armed. And so if you have an elderly couple or some old person living home alone, you know that person doesn't have a gun, you break in or walk in the door and demand to know where the valuables are in a way you go in America, I don't care if you're seventeen or twenty eight or eighty eight. You have to factor into the equation whether or not this person is gonna is gonna kill you. And that that's why gun control laws don't work. The problem's never been guns. Take away the guns, it'll be knives like in Europe, or take away the knives. You're gonna have mass beatings. Take away the beatings. There'll be cars used by these psychiatric homicidal killers. And the gun. Gun control doesn't work. But it raises a lot of money. But correct, it's a fundraiser, right, Well.
Speaker 4: It's slightly differently say, not only doesn't it work, it makes the situation worse. Yeah, I'll give you a simple example. You look around the world. Any place that's banned either all guns or all handguns has seen murder rates go up every single time. You think out of randomness once or twice when you've banned guns, guns are as bad on net as people claim. You think for sure you'd find at least a couple, but probably lots of places where gun bands have been associated with the drop in murder rates, and yet every single time it's gone up. And the problem is is that when you pass these bands, it's the most law abiding, good citizens who obey that, not the criminals. And to the extent that you disarm law abiding citizens relative to criminals, you actually make it relatively easier for criminals to go and commit crimes. So, you know, the ban is a simple example, but the basic point applies to other things. There's one thing I wanted to mention with regard to your coming about the Florida State University and you know, talking about concealed carry permit holders. We just finished a study where we looked over the last decade for what the FBI calls active shooting cases. These are attacks, they're current public they're not some other part of some other type of crime like a gang fight over drug turf, And it's anything from one person being shot at and missed all the way up to a mass public shooting. And what we found is that civilians were more likely to stop these attacks than police, and also a police when they did were there, we're more likely to get killed or wounded when they were trying to stop the attack. And there's a simple reason for this, and that is people have to appreciate what an incredibly difficult job having somebody in uniform has when they're trying to go and stop these attacks. These murders have real tactical advantages. If you have an officer who's in uniform there and you're thinking about doing an attack at that place, you have several options. You can either wait for the officer to leave, okay, or you can move on to another target yourself. Or if you're going to insist on attacking in that place, who do you think you take out first? You're going to take out the officer because he's the one person you know for sure has a gun. The benefit of concealed carry is the attacker doesn't know who's there or whether somebody is there already. Yeah, a simple comparison I would make because we have air marshals on planes. Do you think an air marshal on a plane should be in uniform. No, I don't know anybody who thinks that that should be the case. And why not, because if you had him in uniform, he would be a target for a terrorist if you happen to have a terrorist on the plane, and so you want him to blend in, you want it. You don't want the terrorists to be able to know who it is that they have to worry about. But unfortunately officers don't have that luxury of being, you know, incognito. They're there, they're in uniform, and it's kind of like them having a neon sign that's above them that says, go shoot me first. And people have to appreciate, you know, these individuals who are in uniform who put their lives on the line. But it also points out the benefit of concealed carry for civilians. We also have a lot more civilians. We have twenty one and a half million Americans who have concealed carry permits in the United States, plus we have twenty nine constitutional carry states where it's not required to have a permit. You know, we have six hundred and seventy thousand police and not all of them are on duty at any time. Maybe you have two fifty and so there's no way they can go and cover the three hundred and forty million Americans that are out there that could be targets.
Speaker 1: Now, John Lott, do you have excellent research for those lessening crimeresearch dot org headline armed civilian stop active shooters more effectively than uniformed police. The research is there, but reason in facts mean nothing to them of a liberal who wants to raise money and act as if they're important. And once again, John Lott, you're the best there is in this topic. Thanks for coming on, and once again thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. John Lott, thank.
Speaker 4: You very much, thank you for being there.
Speaker 1: Bill, God bless you. Let's continue the truth and reasona will set us free. But the more we have gun free zones, the more there's going to be more violence in gun free zones. In fact, you don't know. In this case, Phoenix Eichner, the murderer who I imagine survived, we think he survived the shooting, went to a gun free zone to kill a psychiatric homicidal killer was set loose on Florida State. Bill Cunningham with you every afternoon on News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: We get criticized for that because we run with a lighter crew than some other teams do. But I don't know that we do badly there. We picked up Reggie Nelson this year. That's a pretty good acquisition. Really. The year before we picked up the fullback from Rutgers, the young kid Leonard, and he helped us a lot. We have people up there who are attuned to this stuff. Duke Tobin is on top of it very, very thoroughly.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 7: With the communications you have, you can talk to people anytime anywhere in this country, and we do. You don't have to have a guy sitting in an office doing just that. You can carry this information with you as you travel and then communicate when it's necessary. And that's what we do.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 2: Hello, quiet and I'm spokes I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: That's the Bengal Oracle at Delphi. Mike Brown talking about communications today. We can't talk to anybody whenever we want. Kind of a new thing. Alexander Graham Bell invented it, and does Mike Brown. Does Mike Brown have a flip phone or no phone? You know what? I don't know.
Speaker 6: I like to find out. I think I got his cell phone number, but I've never called him.
Speaker 1: What about Nancy is lovely white.
Speaker 7: Communication out, you have no you can talk to people anytime anywhere.
Speaker 1: Hear that. That's true, that's good. He's right. And Nancy Brown was interviewed a matron of the Bengals by one Tanya or Rourke. You may recall, yes, about six months ago. And it seems like a wonderful lady. Wonderful matter a couple of times. He's a very lovely lady, nice lady. And now the deal is getting close. Segment, get us into the Stude Report and tell the American people what's happening.
Speaker 6: Will he the Student Reporter's approach service, every local Tamestar heating and air conditioning dealers Tamestar quality you can feel on the beautiful east Side called Clement's Heating an air at nine three seven.
Speaker 1: Four four four forty four zero one.
Speaker 6: And also, will you we to thank Penn Station East Coast Subs for our lunch today. It's all about good taste with the handcrafted subs, fries and lemonade.
Speaker 1: Man and segment, I think a dear park graduate owns that. And the lemonade and the French fries are fabulous right there in Kenwood.
Speaker 6: Willie This see Bengals Update brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town with thirteen convenient locations in northern kentangle Hamilton County and the Bengals reaching an agreement to reach an agreement. Today, the county announced a memorandum of understanding called an MoU to make one hundred and eighty four million dollars in improvements at pay Corps Stadium in the next year. Where's the money coming from? And reach a long term agreement by June thirtieth of this year.
Speaker 1: And on Denise about two hours ago she talked about the deal deal seg team will pay one hundred and twenty mili County sixty four. That's two thirds to the Bengals, one third of the county. But fun, now the pickleball is in the state court. Matt Huffman, the Speaker of the House, needs to anty up some money. According to Denise Treehouse, it remains my third, one third, one third could get the deal deal because the guys are Republican. I don't know. I think Matt Huffman is a Republican to be honest with you.
Speaker 6: Under the deal deal, the Bengals would renovate club lounges and suites, as well as improved concessions.
Speaker 1: How many sweets have you been in? One?
Speaker 6: The county would put in new escalators, refurbish the elevators, and upgrade the power grid and other technology.
Speaker 1: That takes one hundred and eighty million.
Speaker 6: That means Wi Fi City, Baby and the Bengals now have until June thirtieth to decide whether the team will extend the current lease another two years or all.
Speaker 1: The team doesn't, or the current lease.
Speaker 6: Will with the county expires June thirtieth when Riverfront Stadium was opened twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: The deal deal's got to include a long term guaranteed least otherwise the county, according to Denise Treehouse, will say nah babanah, nah babanah nah babbana.
Speaker 6: Also will you. The NFL Draft, of course, starts Thursday at Beautiful Green Bay.
Speaker 1: I got James Rapine on a twelve oh five Thursday to break it all down.
Speaker 6: Seven out of ww's best Bengals coverage starts at six Thursday, live from the Holy grail Stone. Stateman's NFL drafticks Spectacular presented by Ortho Sinsey Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, and then an emery Federal Credit Union and then Red's update Regil Trade even up the series up against those Marlins. Tonight on South Beach five forty Sports Talk Rnel Carriers, Inside Pitch, Kelsey Chevrolet Extrading Show.
Speaker 1: After the game, we had Craig Braun in from Sheldon Braun. And by the way, Sheldon's going to come in in a couple of months. He's the great golfer, one of the great amateur golfers of all time. But we went acknowledge Braun Heating and Air Temp Starr and Craig Braun is a great America.
Speaker 9: And a D.
Speaker 6: The CEO JV see the vice president of Edney j D Executive vice president to you, mister. The Reds have sent out catcher Tyler Stevenson and pitcher Sam Mall send him out to rehab A Simon's on Triple A to Triple A Louisville, So they're one step away from coming back.
Speaker 1: They'll probably play.
Speaker 6: Over now and then over the weekend, maybe back for the Saint Louis series when they opened a home stand next week. Also Wade Miley Lefty remember him? Yes, starts to rehab a Simon. He'll start tonight for the Dayton Dragons against West Michigan.
Speaker 1: Didn't he throw a no hitter?
Speaker 6: Yeah, a few years ago with the Reds and he went to the Brewers and he hurt and now he's coming back.
Speaker 1: It's coming back now. I'm optimistic about the Reds despite the fact they're eleven and twelve. Me too. Would you agree? Yes? The pitching is the best I've seen since twenty thirteen. If Lodolo see Hunter Green had a rough one Saturday, Lodolo had a rough one last night, It's gonna happen. Martinez used to win a game tonight, would you agree? Bingo at twenty million bucks? How many games has he won this year? Zero and three? Please continue?
Speaker 6: Also Willie Tonight's lineup, let's get it Freedol and center, McLean at second, Superman at short.
Speaker 1: And McLean's still hitting about two hundred. Surly, it's only put just say three games in the season. Just saying Willie Mays Hayes is the is the DH he related to rutherfert B. Hayes.
Speaker 6: No left field is Gavin Lux I do you know that j Murr Candelario is it first May?
Speaker 1: Maybe he start hitting? No Velie Marte is a third? What about Cees?
Speaker 6: The snake is in right and Trevino is catching. Cees is currently hurt? What about Lee Trevino he's catching tonight? Well, Happy birthday, Willie is speaking of the Reds. Happy birthday today to manager Terry Francona.
Speaker 1: How old is he? Thirty five and holding?
Speaker 6: I could check it out. And also it's happy Earth Day. To do something nice for the Earth. Always do. It's a big blue marble right here, baby, Always do. The Cleveland Browns and the New York Football Giants are fielding trade inquiries for their early picks in the National Football League draft. The Titan The Tennessee Titans aren't answering the phone with the first pick overall, but sources tell ESPN the Browns have the second pick. Giants a third pick have received trade calls over the past forty eight hours. Sixty six years old is Terry Francona. Congratulations, Happy birthday, April nineteen fifty nine. Also, Willey, we want to say congratulations to the Right State Raiders. They went back to back Horizon League tournament championships. Let's get him in here in an automatic bid to the NCAA Men's Golf Tournament. Are you still working on d Alexander? Yeah, I haven't heard a thing from Purcell Maryon at all.
Speaker 1: Nothing. We put out the water, put out the chum always.
Speaker 6: This year that team posted that they were seventeen over par, eleven shots better than Cleveland State. They got junior let's see individual runner up and junior Shane os also sophomore Madison or Mason grad Timothy Hollandbeck a grad student at of Moler, a man of Moeler is a brock Rumky, and junior of Milford grad is Adam.
Speaker 1: Horn seeing the garbage business that Rumpky graduate graduations to Wright State, Wright State round thunder the Xavier and women's tennis teams going to the NCAA tournament, and the Gauls is the women's golf team as the UC women's golf team played the Xavier women's golf team. Because I played a chipped and puttett with the UC female golf team at Lisantaville with Mike McCall.
Speaker 6: That I don't know, Willy, I know that I think tonight at six. It's a uc An x and Bay. I think at Hayden Field. I'd have to go there. Just saying out in Miami Town. Yeah, I mean you know, I think it's college baseball tonight. The Crosstown shootout in baseball, Xavier won the last game with like three runs in the ninth to beat the Cats in Clifton.
Speaker 1: That's a problem. How about that center fielder for the Bearcats over the shoulder catch Willie May style bingo? How about that?
Speaker 6: But nothing's better, nothing's better than number forty four? Eric, mister DLC over the week?
Speaker 1: What about Cees? What about it? Where is he now? He's hurt, He's always hurt. What's wrong with him now? I can't remember. I think the knee bones connected to the thigh bone. And then you got Matt McClain.
Speaker 6: Is he hurt? I think the I think the Reds are playing that game operation Remember you put the bones in there if you hit the side.
Speaker 1: How do you get hurt this much when you're twenty five years old? Don't ask me.
Speaker 6: I don't get it. I'm hurting at sixty seven. I'm always hurt. You I'm hurting. Yeah, Well, give me out of the students report Willie and Otter of a beautiful day here at the tri State and once again, Happy Earth Day to all.
Speaker 1: Earth Day is well taken care of because of the capitalism and entrepreneurship of the American people.
Speaker 6: Do something to do something today for our big blue marble. We leave you with the immortal words of the stud report.
Speaker 10: I'm justsman vaccine dexter here, coming to you from a Sevader. I knew her last night with the of my colleagues to demand that kim.
Speaker 4: Ildvia Garcia be released.
Speaker 10: He's being chaled in violation of a Supreme Court, especially tending the Trump administration to a situate and facilitate He's coming here that is being a.
Speaker 9: This is not just a set to all people in the United States who could be illegally addicted to teams and case treated and nationality against the will.
Speaker 10: But it is a fact that our President christmay Tycodnis the branches of government in the apearances of parent this is what we aret of thingsing a constitutional basis. Yet it is more severe than anything we've seen. We cannot see seven we missed in them. I am here because I refuse to wait for something to happen.
Speaker 4: We are here to release kill.
Speaker 10: They per see.
Speaker 1: Now she's being ignored by Boukayley, who's the president. They ignoring her. She said, I'm staying until I bring home an MS thirteen wife beater who's a human trafficker. Need him back in the country. You know what I'm saying, seg Man, Yeah, I can't. I can't. I can't take it anymore. I live in some alternative universe episode. Does she Let's continue with more. Bill Cunningham, News Radio seven hundred w ELD