Speaker 1: It's nice.
Speaker 2: Right into law.
Speaker 3: Who's the group? Oh, Rob is selected a little vision, a little version of Stevie Wonder Superstitions. Thank you very much, Rob, very nicely set up here. As we move into our twentieth hour of the week, our final hour of the week. As I think anyone who has listened to this show for any length of time knows that when we get to Friday night at eleven o'clock, we try to cool things off. We try to get little, a little bit kind of kind of roll into the weekend. We've had all of our conversations this week about the presidential debates, back and forth. We've had all of those conversations. We've heard our conversations about the Karen Reid trial, about what happened yesterday and Newton, all of that. All of that now you can think about over the weekend if you would like. That's fine. You can have conversations with your friend. But for now, for the rest of the night, we're going to kick back and talk about superstitions. It is Friday the thirteenth. Before we do that, we have, of course, this week done a lot on the presidential debate. We previewed it for a couple of hours on Monday night. We previewed it on Tuesday at eight. We listened from ninth to ten to ten forty five, and then you reacted to it on Tuesday night from ten forty five until midnight. We remembered September eleventh on Wednesday, September eleventh, and we did that for two and a half hours, and we reacted to the debate a little bit more last night. We talked about the law in Massachusetts, which many people think is going to be very restrictive when it goes into effect in terms of the Second Amendment rights. We talked with Toby Leary of Cape Gun Works. That was a really good hour. We also talked with Lewis Ferrante History of the Mafia. We'll Talk, You'll hear. That replayed on Sunday night at eleven o'clock. We also talked last night eleven about President Trump's the former President Trump's decision to say no to a second debate with Vice President Harris. Tonight, we talked about this pro Israeli demonstration that turned pretty ugly yesterday for an hour and a half, and then we talked about the appeal of the appeal that Karen Reid lawyers are going to take to the state Supreme Court here in Massachusetts. I think it raises a new and novel issue. And again I apologize to some of the callers. Karen had trouble with her line last hour. I was rushing Tom a little bit because I wanted to try to accommodate Nick Frank and Kate Frank disagrees with me. Have ver experienced Laurier thirty eight years. If he is correct, I want him to call back, and as we often say, take a victory lap simple as that. I do not claim that I am omnipotent. I do claim that I have opinions, and that's my opinion. Often is intended to stir conversation. So tonight, as we finish up here, I want to stir a conversation about Friday the thirteenth. This year, we'll have a couple of Friday the thirteenth. We're having one tonight, and hopefully you've all made it through without any problems. There'll be another in December. On December thirteenth. That is only a function of the fact that September has two extra days beyond twenty eight. October has three extra days obviously from the twenty ninth, thirtieth, and thirty first, and November has two the twenty ninth and thirtieth, which means in December we will replicate a Friday the thirteenth. So I want to ask you, are you superstitious? Did you wake up today with a knowledge now this is Friday the thirteenth. Was it a day in which you said I'm going to stay at home a little more often? What are these superstitions that you have? Did you follow I got to tell you, if a black cat walks across in front of the street with me, it freaks me out. I have no idea why. I'm just telling you the truth. Will I walk under a ladder on Friday the thirteenth, I won't walk under a ladder on any day, any day at all. Am. I cognizant about not stepping on you know the phrase, you step on a crack, you break your mother's back. If you step on a crack on a sidewalk, I'm pretty cool. I try to stay away from that. I can tell you that when I played baseball, I didn't want to step on the base lines. I don't know why, but when I had a chance, you know unless I wasn't paying attention, I skipped over the baselines. There's no reason to do that. I don't know why. I don't know why, but there were things that somehow get into our heads. Maybe you have something that you'd like to share with us and tell us what your superstition is, what your practice is. Maybe you only get up out of one side of the bed. I am very much like that. I have to. I don't want to get up on the wrong side of the bed. That that stuff goes through my mind. So we're going to open up phone lines. I will tell you that right now six one, seven, nine, three thirty, those lines are full. If you want to get on six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. What are your superstitions and why do you think you have them? And if you don't have any superstitions, that's fine. I have superstitions. If I buy a lottery ticket, I do not open I do not scratch the ticket quickly. I know that there are a lot of people who buy the lottery ticket. I've stood in line behind them in the scratch the ticket. I take the lottery ticket home. I want to get comfortable with the lottery ticket. I want the lottery ticket to be comfortable with me. I put it on a table, I walk away, maybe have lunch, come back, look at it again. I take my time. My belief is, hey, if I have winning numbers, which I never do, they're gonna be there when I come back. I want to enjoy the experience. It's almost like I look at a lottery ticket, which I buy infrequently, as a fine glass of wine. I'm not gonna guzzle a glass of wine, particularly if it's expensive. I'm not gonna guzzle a glass of wine anyway. But I'm not gonna scratch off. I'm gonna sit there. The anticipation of scratching the lottery ticket, particularly the ones where you can you have five potential winners and you can scratch off twenty five. I never win. I never win. Occasionally, yep, i'll get it. You've won ten dollars, so you can go back and buy another ten dollar card. But whatever, what are your superstitions and how they affected your life. We'll take a break, we're coming back. We'll get everybody in that wants to share with us whatever the superstitions are. I was going to do a brushes with celebrity tonight we haven't done that on a Friday night for four months now, June, July, August, September. Probably we'll do that next Friday night. Last Friday night we do what grinds your gears, so we kind of mix it up. And oh, by the way, the last Friday night of the month, which will be the twenty sixth, if I'm doing my math correctly, the twenty seventh. Excuse me, we will do our sixth. Yeah, it'll be our sixth pole presidential poll. I'm really interested into what the numbers are going to show. We did that. We started this on the last Friday night in March, April, May, June, July, August. Wait, that is sixth. This will be our seventh March April, May, June, July, August. This will be our seventh September, March, April, May, June, July. No, no, my March, April, May, June, July, August, September. It'll be our seventh pole. We'll take a break. The only lines are that are open right now, six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty. Your superstitions, let's fest up. Come on, let's see what how weird you are? Okay, it's as simple as that. We're coming back on night Side. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Sin Studios on WBZ News Radio. By the way, just the germs of scheduling planning for next week. On Tuesday night, I think it's Tuesday night, we will have US Republican Senative candidate John Deaton. He will join us at nine o'clock on Tuesday night. It's coming Tuesday night, Thursday night next week. The w BZ car guys, Larry Scott, Larian, Scott Rubenstein will join us answer all your questions about cars as we head into the cooler part of the year, the winter driving season, which becomes a very cool part of the year here in New England. And so that's Thursday night next week. Let's go to the Phone's got to go to Neil and water down. Neil, haven't heard from you in a while. Welcome back, How are you Neil?
Speaker 4: Thank you Dan. I actually called this on this subject. I think it was was October twenty sixteen or twenty seventeen, but I called too late and I didn't present my argument very well, not argument, but well you are you are, You'll.
Speaker 3: Leading the pack tonight, Neils, right ahead.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll confess you inherently I'm very superstitious. That's okay, something I think I should battle or resist. And in a larger issue, I think, you know, people in general should Now, the word that in the interim that came to my mind was accretion. And it was in a novel. And an older woman tells of a younger woman how the people in her country estate go to the witch elm, which is sol w y c h and they stick in the people of old stuck pigs teeth into it. They thought that if they chewed on the bark, it would cure the toothache. And Margaret, the younger woman, says, oh, I love folklore infestering superstition. But then by a couple of chapters later, Missus Wilcox dies and it turns out that it wasn't really true. And and just quoteeness for me.
Speaker 3: Is this a novel you're talking about?
Speaker 4: Now? This this just put the I This gave me the word I needed in my head. It's very brief excerpt from the novel, not describing the novel in any length. I'm just saying how the author used the word. Is that all right? Okay? So market struggle that's just you know what is what, that's the that's the young woman's name, and said few people had tried more earnestly to pierce the accretions in which body and soul are wrapped. So accretions are like I was looking at the dictus. They're like the Mississippi Delta. They form over the millennia and before you know it, you can't even see them forming. And you're born into it as a young person. You don't question it, and you know, well, things like the lottery ticket that doesn't really hurt anything. But people today, you know, Friday the thirteenth, I got my flu shot and I got my COVID shot at the same time. It wasn't like I was trying to but it was. It was the best time in my schedule to go get them. So it wasn't. But I've heard Laura, like presidents or rulers, they've stopped the train so that the train doesn't leave the station. I'm the thirteenth. So it happens to intelligent people too, all right.
Speaker 3: I don't quite get the when you use the word of creation, it it's a c c R.
Speaker 4: I means like these things build up over time, these ideas.
Speaker 3: I just want to make sure that it's spelled A C C R E T I O N.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Can I sometimes comment on Friday the thirteenth though itself?
Speaker 3: Wow? Hold on, let me finish my point and then I'll let you come right, Okay, okay. Accretions are the opposite of erosion.
Speaker 1: So in.
Speaker 3: Certain parts of the country, including Cape Cod, one side of Cape Cod is eroding because it's got hits with all the heavy weather storms. The other side is having accretion. It's actually increasing, its beaches are increasingly right, Yes, you don't have all I think you've taken me down a complete rabbit hole. I want to get out of the rabbit hole. Talk to me. If you want to tell me if you're superstitious or not, that's great because if you don't, I'm going to move on.
Speaker 4: Can I just say that Friday the thirteenth is good Friday. It's the day that Jesus was crucified. I think many people date.
Speaker 3: I think many people date the Friday the thirteenth. I don't know if Jesus he was crucified allegedly on a Friday. I don't know if it was Friday the thirteenth, but I think that that about a thousand years ago, according to some research that I did, Biblical scholars began to talk about that in terms of the number thirteenth and Friday, so I believe that was part of Friday in the thirteenth. The thirteenth, thirteenth considered a lucky number. There's a lot of hotels that don't have a four thirteenth. You get in the Elba and says I want to go to four twelve or fourteen. Great, but there's no four thirteen, So that that is that's fairly common. Neil, thanks for getting us going. I don't quite get the literary reference, but it was interesting, and I think you've always one of my more interesting callers.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. Thank you.
Speaker 3: I have a great night. Okay, my six, one, seven, two, four, ten, thirty lines are wide open. Let me go next to Laurie in Oha in Idaho. Laurie, I'm not going to make you wait any longer. You go run yet. Are you superstitied?
Speaker 5: Well really not not totally. I mean I will never walk on a painted line on the street, but that has nothing to do with superstition. It has everything to do with wearing dress shoes and painted lines are almost always very slippery and it's not a good jo.
Speaker 3: That's okay, So that's well, that's that's the reasonable SUPERSI.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was okay, yeah, an avoiding embarrassment and injury. So the only time I've ever been, and I don't know if it's superstition versus just you know, over the top karma. Was the postseason in two thousand and four for the Red Sox. I made sure every game I had the radio one with Jocastigon. Even if I had the TV on, I had my one, my favorite Red Sox hoodie, which was just gray with the red be on it. I wore that everything.
Speaker 3: Without those dress choices, the Red Sox might not have made it to the World Series that year, right, Okay, now you I want to talk about Friday the thirteenth. The Red Sox were playing tonight at Yankee Stadium. They were head yet for did nothing.
Speaker 6: Do you know how the game they were?
Speaker 5: Yes, Aaron Judde hit a home run that he hasn't hit in seventeen games with the basis field I think by walks, Yes, yes, I think you're and they lost five four.
Speaker 3: They lost five four. It was an ugly way to lose.
Speaker 5: It was horrifying. But they've been doing that to us a lot lately.
Speaker 7: But yeah, that was yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And now seventy four and seventy four they are a fine five hundred baseball team.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when the season almost over, yay.
Speaker 3: I think this means they have if I'm doing my math correctly, they have fourteen games left, so best possible worlds they could they could win if they win out, which is not likely. And by the way, the kid Fits pitched another good game tonight. The kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the Bullton's Lenning's down and then yeah, whatever, And so your your story about the lottery ticket cracked me so funny.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I just I don't want to rush. If if I'm going to spend ten dollars on a lottery ticket, I'm going to It's like a fine glass of wine. I'm going to take my time on it. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 5: And so don't I don't. I don't really buy the lot just scratch tickets because I never went, but a friend of mine does, so don't some of them have a game you can go through and go through all the numbers, or there are four boxes. You can just scratch off and figure if you want automatically. I'm guessing you go through all the little game thing first.
Speaker 3: Well, what happens is my brother and my sister in law. I think they're more of gamblers, and they will give me a couple of lottery tickets. I don't tend to buy them myself to you, but I always say, look, you know, like a birthday present, Christmas present, Yeah, Christmas. I always say, if if we hit big, we'll split in three ways and we'll share it.
Speaker 5: Do that, Okay, Now I'll get the I'll get the lottery like the big draws. I don't buy the scratch I don't. I can't win a blackjack game, to say my soul, so I don't bother crash tickets. But I'll do the mega millions or oh yeah, when it's over like.
Speaker 3: Five hundred million dollars or something, then it's worth it. Then it's worth it.
Speaker 7: I guess you're gonna wake up.
Speaker 3: I don't want to win like some lottery jackpot that only has like a hundred million dollars in it. Well, hell no, I'm going I'm going for all the gustos here.
Speaker 5: I've got exactly, and I'm buying one ticket to do it.
Speaker 8: Well why not?
Speaker 3: Why why waste your money? It's just you go.
Speaker 9: It's just exactly, Lauria.
Speaker 3: I love your calls. You know that any more beer sightings in Idaho in your backyard are in your living room.
Speaker 5: No, don't JINX met you?
Speaker 3: So you are superstitious. You believe in Jinx? Is okay?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 6: I do? Actually, yeah, I do.
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, I do.
Speaker 7: I do.
Speaker 1: I do that.
Speaker 5: Yep, that's true.
Speaker 3: No, I'm a big believer in Jinx's I really am.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, me too.
Speaker 5: So no, so far, so good. We've had a moose but.
Speaker 3: No, no, theres okay, that's good. So how close did the moose come to the house?
Speaker 6: I would destroyed the pear tree which is next to the house.
Speaker 5: Well, twenty five thirty feet.
Speaker 3: That's close enough. That's close enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we've another one that kemps and hangs out at the end of the dry waving. They're pretty comfortable around here.
Speaker 3: Which is can you shoot moose? Not that you would want to. Is there a moose hunting season in Idaho?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's got to be, but I think it's pretty limited and it's not till later in the year. But no, no, you're not allowed. You're not allowed to pick them off in your backyard unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 5: So it's like, may I think there might be a lottery, like you know, like in Maine, in New Hampshire there's a lottery.
Speaker 3: You get a license you can go bag a moose.
Speaker 5: Yeah okay, yeah, so I think they have that, but not in the backyard when they're destroying your pars.
Speaker 3: It's the ways of a while. West Laurie will talk soon. Okay. By the way, I did notice that they moved the trial of that kid who's accused of killing the three college students to a different county in Idaho.
Speaker 5: They yep, they're down in bois now and Boise State will be a member of the PAC twelve in a couple of years, which blows my mind.
Speaker 3: Well, they've had a good football team. They really have a great football program.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although the field for a long time was bluegrass, it probably still is, which was a little you know, it is.
Speaker 6: It's horrifying.
Speaker 9: It is why I will not be still in a couple of years.
Speaker 5: But yes, but yeah, I know they did.
Speaker 6: All right, you have a great weekend.
Speaker 3: They can still finish eighty eight and seventy four if you wear that, if you wear the hat the right way for the next fourteen games.
Speaker 5: Is that like like over my here Aaron coxsided like a like a rapper?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, yeah, that's exactly. That will do it.
Speaker 6: That will do it too.
Speaker 3: Yes, if it's inside out okay.
Speaker 5: Inside oh the rally cap indeed, yes, or it might undo it then I'm really in trouble.
Speaker 3: Thanks a great night. All right, we got some wide open lines here. You guys don't want to talk about superstitions. I got Larry and Dennisport. He's going to be first up on the the other side of the news break. I want to know, come on, tell me that if you think superstitions are just useless, and if you have no superstitions and nothing bothers you, you know you're you're pretty well adjusted. But I suspect that most of us aren't well adjusted. I know I'm not well adjusted, and I know that all of us have our little quirks. So this is an opportunity for you to rid yourself of the quirk and tell us what superstition? What will you do or will you not do? Depending upon the circumstances, that would be considered a superstition, meaning you do it because you don't understand why you do it, but you you will not walk under a ladder. I think that's just being smart in case someone falls down the ladder. But a black cat, Why should I be bothered by a black cat? I don't know why. I don't know why. But if I see a black cat, I know it's associated with Halloween and all of that. Give me a call. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. It's nightside, it's Friday night. We're going into the weekend. We can have a little fun, can we not. Ladies and gentlemen, we don't have to always talk about politics and serious events, death and destruction. This is your time to shine right here at Nightside, back after the news at the bottom of the hour. You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio. All right, let's go to Larry and Dennisport. Larry, you superstitious guy.
Speaker 9: I am not Dan. I love Friday the thirteenth, and here's why.
Speaker 3: My birthday, Why do you love it?
Speaker 9: My birthday is November thirteenth, and every four or six years it falls on Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 3: That would be every seven years.
Speaker 9: I would think, well, let's see the last one. I think it was twenty twenty and the next one is twenty twenty six. I think I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Thrown in there every once in a while, which can.
Speaker 9: Exactly exactly, But for some reason, I've just always had an affinity for I love Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 6: But I'm going to let you go. But I think a great subject what you've kind of brought up with that previous caller, with how the Cape card beaches grow and it takes a fand from other beaches, maybe you could get a guess from like Woodshole Ocean, a graphic or something.
Speaker 3: And you talk about well, I think it's kind of simple, and I'll tell you what I think it is. I think that the beaches on the north side of the Cape are dealing with erosion. And I think the reason that they're dealing with erosion is because they get hit with all those big winter storms coming out of the Northeast.
Speaker 9: Yes, that is true, and I live in the south side and my local beach that we go to is actually growing slightly. But if you if you're familiar with the cape of the south side, all those jetties that they put out out of the big rocks. If you stand on your beach and look out into the ocean, the beaches on the right side of the jetti grow and the left side shrinks. So I think they've kind of decided maybe that wasn't a good idea to put those in.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, well that's interesting. I can tell you this that I.
Speaker 10: Had one Friday the thirteenth, many years ago. It was a Friday the thirteenth, and I got out of basic training at Fort Dicks, New Jersey, and was driving home with a colleague. I was the passenger, and we got into a pretty bad car accident on a rainy day.
Speaker 9: Oh oh, that's just sorry to hear that. But wait a minute, now, you just reminded me of something you did basic training in Fort Dickson nineteen seventy.
Speaker 3: That's what that was around the time.
Speaker 9: Yep, yeah, I basic training there too in nineteen I was the last winter cycle. Wouldn't that be aesthelical if we did basic training together?
Speaker 1: No, I was.
Speaker 3: I was gone by November thirteenth.
Speaker 9: Okay, I was in March. I was the last winter cycle. But in seventy, So it was like March of nineteen seventy because both one.
Speaker 3: Someday we'll grab coffee and we'll discuss the joy of basic training.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sounds good. All right, have a good night, thanks, Larry.
Speaker 3: Have a great night. All right, let's keep rolling here. All right. So we're looking for your thoughts about superstitions. And I got to tell you, very rarely on a Friday night at eleven o'clock do people not participate If this is not a good subject. We'll have a couple more calls and I'll go open lines if you want, we can do that as well. Florence and Groveland. Hey, Florence, next on, nice saga. Right ahead, Florence, how are you?
Speaker 8: Oh great, Gillian. Couple of things. You know, when I'm talking with someone about something that I don't want to occur, and I knock on wood. People do that.
Speaker 1: I have no.
Speaker 8: Thought.
Speaker 1: Why we do that?
Speaker 8: Something we picked up along the line.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It must be a reason for that. Someone will be able to tell us why they knock on wood. When I say knock on wood, you know what I do. But I knock on my skull.
Speaker 8: Oh, oh gosh. The other thing is dan very weird. I don't know where I heard if there's many, well a number of years ago. And when you're going out the door and you're going somewhere and you forget something, you go back in the house get it, but before you leave, you count to ten and then will back out. Man, I've never heard it since when I picked that up some years to go, let me help.
Speaker 3: You out here. They say, why do people knock on wood for luck? Okay, so says Turkish people often pull on one ear lobe, which I've never heard, and knock on wood twice. Other origin theories. One common explanation traces the phenomenon to ancient ancient pagan cultures who believe that spirits and God resided in trees trees, so knocking on tree trunks may have served to rouse the spirits and call on their protection. That makes sense, Yeah, yeah them, Well whatever, you know, people do it all the time, You and I do it. Someone must have taught it to us, knock on woods.
Speaker 8: And what about the one leaving the house forgetting something? Go back in, but before you go back out?
Speaker 3: I never heard that. I've never heard that one. Maybe some others have. Okay, go back to knock on wood for a second with me, stay with me for and dance with me. Well your Turkish people off and pulling one ear lobe and knock on wood twice toward off of jinks. I tell you just meanwhile, say the phrase touch iron when trying to avoid tempting faith. I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've learned stuff here really. Yeah, all right? Interesting?
Speaker 3: So you take me the next time I forget something and I go back in the house, I'm going to Now you're planted in my mind. I'm going to count to ten before I leave. Maybe the idea is if you go back in the house and you count for ten and you take your time, you would have avoided a car accident, or you would have avoided falling down.
Speaker 8: When you want to maybe everything's going to be all right.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd be wrong with the casley on for ten. I do it sometimes when I'm mad at myself. Okay, I you know when you walk down the cellar and you hit your head. Oh yeah, look, I'm gonna now start doing that. I'm gonna say Florence taught me to calm down and count to ten instead of saying what A got a knuckle in.
Speaker 8: You are Dan just gonna right and then carry on can okay?
Speaker 7: Thanks?
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Vaunt. You helped me appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Good talking to talk with you.
Speaker 3: You sound great. Thanks. Ileen. Eileen is in ho and Iileen has been at the beach Fantaska Beach for most of the the month of September. Eileen, good to know that you're You're off the beach tonight, go right ahead. How are you?
Speaker 2: Yes? Well, I spent the whole afternoon on the beach. It was beautiful, and.
Speaker 5: I uh, I'm.
Speaker 2: Didn't want to go out in my car today.
Speaker 3: I thirteenth. That's good. Well, you had a great day. Then here's the thing about about September in Nantasket. It's not only great weather, but all the tourists.
Speaker 6: Have gone right exactly speach to yourself.
Speaker 2: Almost yep.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 2: And it was low tide and I took my chair right down to the water line and sat there until the water was coming up.
Speaker 7: To my feet.
Speaker 5: But I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't yesterday.
Speaker 5: I took my car out and I parked.
Speaker 2: I was went in to get a salad bar, and somebody parked so close to me that I you know, I I was afraid to back out. I was afraid I was gonna going to hit that car. Yeah, so I'm driving my car lately.
Speaker 6: I don't know why I'm so nervous, but.
Speaker 2: Because tomorrow I'm going to go out and go out with one of my sons.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, don't be nervous. But I'll tell you it's smart if you're in a situation where you think. I've been in situations where you park your car in a parking lot and you come out and the person next to you is six inches away from you, so you try to open the door to get in. I've had to actually time in through the passage seat, which is much which.
Speaker 6: Is totally yep for the other side of the car.
Speaker 3: Ye, crazy, absolutely crazy. So that shouldn't happen either.
Speaker 2: Well, I you know, I sat there thinking he would back out, but I guess he sat there and ate lunch.
Speaker 3: So this car how close was this car to you? Was the car to your left or to your right?
Speaker 8: It was?
Speaker 2: It was on the right side of my car. I mean, I swear it was not more than two inches from me. And it was a big van and I have a little Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people are unconscious. That's my problem with so many people. They're just unconscious. I mean you, you drive somewhere and you I always slowed down when I come to a bike bike lane, but oh yeah, the bikes who don't even look. They assume you're going to stop. And you know, if you're distracted or you're doing something or you it's like, please people, if you're driving bikes, just pause, make sure that those car people have stopped. Okay, hey, Allen, have a great weekend. Okay, I've got a screwed here because I'm up against it. No great to hear your voice.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much. All right, all right, good night, Dan, good night.
Speaker 3: We take a break. Coming back. I got Jim, Kathy and Clara got room for you. The only place I got room for you is at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. You know the number. Dial it up and I get everybody in. What are your superstitions or are you superstitious? And if you're not, and you think that those of us who are superstitious really are a wacky, feel free. You can call me wacky. Coming back on night Side Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Night six Studios on WITBZ News Radio look at this full lines. Let me get everybody in. It's going to take a little bit of work, but let's go. Kathy and Everett.
Speaker 6: Hey, Kathy, how are you good?
Speaker 1: How are you today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great tonight. And what are you suspicious? Are you?
Speaker 1: Today's my birthday and I was born on Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 3: Happy birthday. What you were born in September of Friday the thirteenth, It's September. What did you do today to celebrate?
Speaker 6: I worked?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, no, I'm going out on Sunday. All my girls have a big surprise for me on Sunday, and I don't know what it is, so I'm just gonna wait until then.
Speaker 3: Are your girls you're gang or your girls your daughters?
Speaker 6: My daughters?
Speaker 1: I have three daughters.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, we are they taking it?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 6: It's a big surprise.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great.
Speaker 6: That is great.
Speaker 3: That is so great.
Speaker 1: What's funny is I have a cousin, my brother, and my niece, all Friday thirteenth babies. It's four of us.
Speaker 3: Cool, very cool. Yeah, look, I think that's great. And you you're not superstitious, I assume not at all. No, I believe in well, first of all, happy birthday today is actually your birthday. I wish we had like a happy birthday song. Rob. We don't have a happy birthday song, do we do? You got applause all right from my digital studio audience. Kathy, thank you, thank you so much, and and I really mean it. Please, when you're with your daughters on Sunday, thank them for me. Just say that. They got to be really great sweet daughters to take that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they're wonderful, wonderful, wonderful girls. Kids, a bunch of great kids.
Speaker 3: Well something you said, you're probably a great mom. Kids are kids are great? They drive you crazy, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah they did when they were younger.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I have a grandson is now too, so little two plus and.
Speaker 1: Yeah on four and one, and a girl that's seven, so I know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I opened up a a cabinet tonight and this little guy loves cookies, and of course I opened the cabinet and there's a cookie there, and I said to my wife, I said, what's up with this? He says he thinks it's an oven, So that cookie will stay there until he comes back in a week or so. Thank you so much, Happy.
Speaker 1: Dan, Thank you have a great weekend.
Speaker 6: Good year to do you bet?
Speaker 3: You let me go to Clara down in Florida. Clara, how are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 11: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Dan.
Speaker 11: I'm very superstitious. It's my If my left eye itches, that means somebody I'm going to see someone I don't like, or something bad's going to happen, so I avoid itching it or scratching it. In the Hungarian traditions, the last minute of the new year just supposed to eat twelve grapes, so bring in a good year, and a man is supposed to enter the home the new year of first besides a woman. And when I was in Hungry, there was an old woman whose eyebrows were connected, and my grandmother and aunt told me not to stare at her because she was a witch.
Speaker 3: They call that aw.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was.
Speaker 3: I was in Hungry a few years ago. Beautiful country, beautiful country.
Speaker 1: Classes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how are you doing down there in Florida? Hopefully no hurricanes have hit your area?
Speaker 11: Uh so far now, but on the way down, we drove through Hurricane Debbie all the way.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, look, Clara, thank you so much for listening, Thanks so much for being there. We're with you in spirit. I hope you know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yes, I do.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Clara, talk soon, have a time all right. I have a first time caller here, Dallas from Ohio. The reason I know he's a first time caller he was listening to night Side on Facebook night Side postgame on Facebook night Side with Dan Ray Dallas, thanks very much for becoming a first time caller. How are you.
Speaker 6: Pretty good? Nice talking to It's.
Speaker 3: Just great, Jude. Are you superstitious?
Speaker 6: No, No, not really, not really. I just take things in stride.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so delighted to get you to call in. It's like jumping in the shallow end of the pool. Now that she has that's true. You gotta you gotta come back. What do you do? What do you do? I'd never asked you what are you do in Ohio?
Speaker 6: Oh? I'm retired?
Speaker 3: Good for you. Are you enjoyed retirement? Are you enjoying it?
Speaker 6: Yes? I am, I am, I am somewhat okay.
Speaker 3: So how do you spend your time in Retirement's? What's your app? What's your day?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: Sometimes I fly drones or go to the par work on different electronic projects and a little bit of tinkering here and there and repair and restoring different things.
Speaker 3: Excellent, excellent. So you sound you're somebody who understands mechanical You have mechanical aptitude. I have no mechanical aptitude. Okay, that was that, Dallas. Thanks so much for calling. Do me a favorite, Come on back anytime. I really enjoyed talking with you, and I appreciate the fact that you check in with us periodically on night side on our Facebook page. We do the postgame right after the show and the pregame at four point thirty in the afternoon. How did you find us in the first place, Dallas, Well, one night I got off of work.
Speaker 6: I was working second shift at the time, and and uh back back in seventy one and uh at the time the fella ran out program. I believe it was uh The Loving Touch.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was Dick Summer. I thank you, Dick Summer.
Speaker 6: Yah.
Speaker 3: I'm right right, great, good yeah, yeah, listening for a while. Thank you, my friend, thank you, thank you, thank you. We will talk again. I got two more calls. We are going to try to sneak in with a wire.
Speaker 6: Okay, nice talking to you today.
Speaker 3: Good night, great talking with you, Dallas. I enjoyed it. Have a great one. Good night. Let me get two more in here real quickly, Jim and Boston. Jim, you and Christine are going to split a minute. Go ahead, Jim.
Speaker 6: Okay, hoddy damn uh said time?
Speaker 3: Colin.
Speaker 6: Hooray, so first time, first time calling time number five?
Speaker 3: Okay, go run ahead. No applause for five, but go ahead.
Speaker 7: So, being being an engineer, I have to be article. It's not really a superstition. But when I see a spider, I don't kill it, not because it's gonna rain, but because those are free insect traps. So I relocate them around my house and they walk around and you know, the bugs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's a good one. Yeah. I know that they love to set up their little nets. Matter of fact, I was one in my garage the other day. Had caught a bee and the bee is just sitting there, you know, dead as a doornail. Couldn't agree with you more, Jim, Thank you much. I appreciate it. Come on back more often. Okay, I get you in more. Okay, thanks man. All right, real quickly, Christine got ten seconds for you. What can you do with it? Christine?
Speaker 5: I was always taught to open your door and let's stare us out on Friday the thirteen.
Speaker 3: Oh, a perfect call to end it in. Everybody is still Friday the thirteenth, Open your doors and let the spirits out. Thanks Christine, love your calls. We'll talk soon. Okay, all right, we are done for the night. We're done for the week. I thank all of you for listening. I think all if you're calling you a part of my family. Rob Brooks, thank you very much for your work. Thanks to Marita. We're done for the week. I'll see you Monday night. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pal, Charlie raised. We passed fourteen years ago in February. That's why your pets are past. They loved you and you love them. You'll see them again. I promise you that. I believe that, and I'll see you again on Monday night.