Speaker 1: Good morning Kentucky, Na welcome in. It is Kentucky and his morning news here on News Radio eight forty whas Nick coffee with you, John Alden alongside, and if you are just now joining us, welcome Happy Thursday. So I hesitated earlier to use the words celebrating because it just seems as if the root of the entire thing is a tragedy and just an awful thing. Where Crystal Rogers was murdered ten years go by, still no body, nobody knows, there's no real closure as far as what happened to her, but there was justice and that was something that people were celebrating in Barchtown and in a big way. I mean I talked about that a lot yesterday. I had no clue that they actually had a parade, but it makes sense just because it's a big day for not only the Rogers family but the community. However, it's not over, and as far as what actually comes from this, tough to say, but if I had to guess, it would probably be something that involves Nick Hawk, given the fact that he and his mother Rosemary, have been listed during the trial as unindicted co conspirators. But when you hear the folks that were a part of this, rather be detectives or prosecutors when they were talking to the media after the sentence took place earlier this week. I mean, I can't think of the exact words that we're used. I'm trying to pull it up here, but I mean to say that, you know, they're not in a sense I'm paraphrasing, but to basically say that it's not over yet and there's more coming something along those lines. I don't think you say that without knowing that there's going to be action taking place from law enforcement to hold others accountable for this. So it's a weird feeling to where you're happy for Bargetown and just them getting a step closer to getting this behind them, and it not being something that people think of at first when they think of Bargetown. But again, it all came from just an awful and sad situation with Chris Rogers family and obviously her losing her life, all right. So the suspect, Lea Bradford Ward. He is the thirty five year old man who Shyvely police have been looking for after he is accused of shooting two young women earlier this week and as of now, he is still at large, and Shavally ped had to come out and let people know that despite what you might have seen on Facebook, he is still not in custody and he is considered armed and dangerous. So I guess rumors began circulating on Facebook that he was taken into custod d and I guess they saw that getting a lot of shares and picking up traffic on Facebook, and the sergeant Jordan Brown had had to address it saying he's not been arrested and he's still at large, and just a reminder that he didn't say this, but I'm sure, I mean, we all need a reminder don't believe everything you see on the Internet. Because of all the platforms out there when it comes to misinformation, I feel like Facebook's the absolute worst because there's so much of it and people that like I know, and I will say, Facebook's probably the platform where you end up seeing content. Whatever Facebook has with statuses and links and pictures, videos, that kind of stuff, it's people that you know for the most part, right, So, like, I'm surprised people I know that I wouldn't assume are this gullible or sharing things that quite literally came from a source that just by the eyeball test, it's not real. Now, John, you're younger than me, you're not on Facebook quite as much as I am. But have you ever seen some of these things that people share that you can just look at it and know that that's not real. And there's thousands of shares.
Speaker 2: There's groups that I'll share things too, for my Indiana Sports podcast that are not trying to plug it or anything, but like there's in those groups specifically, there's usually a bunch of nonsense in there and it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: And I just I'm saddened by those who who don't have the radar. It's it's one thing to fall for, like a well orchestra. It's scam, but look at where it's coming from before you share it. Read it the actual article if there is one, before you share it, before you just assume it's real. I mean, it's it's It amazes me. And again, Facebook's the worst because I think there's so much of it. But again, if you look at like you could easily create a Facebook is still very much intended for personal use. There are pages right every social like there's a Facebook page for companies, entertainers, that kind of stuff, and there's ways in which you go about doing that and make it clear that you are legit and you are real. But these pages that just pop up that are that are brand new, created yesterday and they got one link and it's to a story that just reading it the headline makes it seem not believable, like that's that's a clear sign that it's not real. So again yesterday, Shabby police had to let people know, despite what was being shared on social media, the suspect is still not not in custody and he's considered armed in dangerous. But there are other examples of law enforcement having to get out and utilize resources because they realized that something has just been made up and it's picked up enough steam and people are running with it. I mean an example, in twenty twenty three, there was something that ended up generating thousands upon thousands of shares on Facebook called Purge Night in Chicago, and it was a fabricated post that circulated claiming that the Chicago Police Department they were just not going to respond to crime and they were going to, I guess take a stand to say that they need more help, and I don't know anything about what was going on at that time in Chicago. Clearly it's a violent city, but like that's first of all, it's not believable. But they had to get out and say like, hey, not only do you need to know that you're not in danger to the level you might think you are, but also don't go try to commit crime thinking we're not enforcing the law.
Speaker 3: We are.
Speaker 1: And like, just the thought of law enforcement having to do that is wild to me. But I don't think we're far and it may already exist in some places where there are dedicated departments within law enforcement agencies that their only jobs and duty is to handle misinformation that's out there because it's rampant and some people are just too gullible and sometimes though it's easy to get god, so just be mindful of that. All right, let's get a quick time out. We'll come back after we get an update on traffic and weather, and then coming up at eight thirty, we'll be joined by Rory O'Neil and he will give us the latest on a variety of things, including the situation down in Texas with the floods, as they're still looking for many people on accounted for, and the death toll continues to rise unfortunately, So we'll get to that in more. Stick with us right here on News Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 3: It is eight.
Speaker 1: Seventeen here Kentucky and this morning news on News Radio eight forty whas Nick Coffee. That's me John on alongside. We've got another update of sports coming your way here shortly. Also another news update with John Shannon, and I do want to let you know once again, if you want to help out those that are in need of help in Texas because of the tragic situation with the flood, you can do it. Go to Community Foundation dot net. That is where you need to go to make sure that you are donating and your donation will go where it needs to go. So the Community Foundation of Texas Hill Country has launched the Kerk County Flood Relief Fund to support response, relief and of course long term recovery efforts. And we hear at iHeart are letting everybody know throughout the entire day today and probably throughout the rest of the week that if you want to help, and I'm sure a lot of people do, community Foundation dot net is where you should go, all right, So this is something that I can't relate to, but it also got my attention. So there are some with the iPhone that use FaceTime, and they don't use it for the way in which a lot of people use FaceTime. They do it, I guess for phone sex. I mean, can you call it phone sex? You're using a phone so yeah, but like it's you know, I don't know, I was gonna go down a path I probably shouldn't go down. But nonetheless, if you are somebody that does that, maybe you're in a long distance relationship and that's the best you can do. Now, your phone may freeze when that's happening, because Apple now has quietly rolled out a new feature that is basically pausing what they're picking up, which is potential nudity on screen, and it's a warning message that says audio and video or pause because you might be showing something sensitive. And users are then given too options in the call or continue anyway via the on screen buttons that are there. So just be mindful. If you were somebody that is going to be updating to the new iOS twenty six software and you are an active phone sex have via FaceTime, you might have some interruption and look, you can quickly bypass it, but come on, let's be real, that could totally kill the moment, right, some shit really will I mean you got to it could totally kill the moment. I mean, and then you don't know, like maybe maybe the screen ends up in a situation where you're not showing something sensitive and it's more of an audio thing. I mean, look, I again, I can't relate when it comes to that, but I'm sure not all times on screen is nudity being shown. And if every ten minutes or every three minutes, you know, something ends up on the screen that is in fact nudity, are they prompting you every time? Like, I don't know how you. I mean, gonna be tough to execute a good phone sex session if Apple's popping up every now and then to warn you. So just be mindful of that. John, you're an android guy. Do they have something like FaceTime?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: If they do, I don't utilize it, And I don't think.
Speaker 1: That may be the only thing I can think of, because I look, I'm very much an iPhone guy, but I will acknowledge it's just because it's what I've always had and it's become a preference. The phones quite literally for the most part, can do everything the same. Yeah, but I don't know, But I will say I'll give a plus one point to Android if they don't have FaceTime, because FaceTime it's certainly useful in certain instances like phone sex, I suppose, with a visual component to it, and whenever I'm traveling, facetiming my kids, like they FaceTime me on my birthday during the commercial break earlier this week, and that was that was awesome to see. But also, you know, there are now people that just communicate via FaceTime, like I don't. I don't. Not only do I not want you to call me, I'd rather you text me, but if you FaceTime me, I'm insulted. So anyways, I'm not a big FaceTime guy, but certainly there are there are there are moments where it is useful. But we got a run update on traving weather coming your way. Also we'll get a update on sports with Scott Fitstreild right here on news Raadiway forty whs. It is eight forty six here a Kentucky had his morning news news radio waight forty whas we have just a few minutes left and then it'll be the fellas Tony and Dwight set to take over. So so, now, Tony, I think you would agree. When it comes to sporting events in Louisville that are big events, we do pretty well. You may not see a full crowd at the Young Center when Louisville's playing Popcorn State on a Tuesday in November, but we do big events.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Is this golf event going on, the Cisco golf event at their country club to that classify as a big event?
Speaker 4: Just real quick?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: If Popcorn State comes in to play this year, can we see about making them Kentucky colonels.
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: And I couldn't help himself. That's well done.
Speaker 3: And it's not it's not Cisco, it's Isco.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sorry, Okay, yeah, go Apologiessco is the largest irrigation company in the world based here in Louisville, started here by a family. And I'm embarrassed because I know I have three close friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When Popcorn and State came to Louisville, they were a maze.
Speaker 3: Maze put a dollar in, put a dollar in, not even nine o'clock. It's not even nine.
Speaker 1: He's just get him out of the way before no headlining.
Speaker 4: It was a little corny.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you watch the local sports guys, they'll'll it's basically the samee X Invitational. Thank you for the coverage of all the sat X guys uh that are playing in it. But she's kind of as we'll just let terry no kidding. But it is a big deal because i'sco is a local company that started here. We talked about how do we keep Fortune five hundred companies from leaving Louisville. Well, this one was started here in Louisville, so this is it's nice. Hirstborn is great. It's not a typical PGA tour. But you're exactly right. The Mike Tyson fight that was sold out that made millions of dollars. We are a big derby, right, I.
Speaker 1: Still forget that the Mike Tyson fight happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sold out?
Speaker 1: Do I don't you know the guy who put that whole thing together this web?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chris Webb. We used to live in a really crappy apartment together and my friends. No, Chris Webb lived out of his car in the parking lot of that apartment.
Speaker 1: The apartment complex must be great if people are just showing up to live in their car.
Speaker 4: It wasn't that great of a cart of a company. Bay wait he took off from that. He just parlayed and worked his butt off, and yeah, we bought companies, wound up bringing Tyson.
Speaker 3: It was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: If I read with Garth Brooks, I don't know how guys like a celebrity man.
Speaker 1: He is well with with that. Remember the Tyson fight again, it's I forget that happened. That's one of the national events in regards to sports that took place that brought so many eyeballs to Louisville. I mean, it's especially considering the timing of it with Tyson. But am I wrong? Wasn't there some kind of controversy about like there was an overseas company that sold they had they had the rights to like sell the pay per view in other countries, and they never shared the money. I know, I didn't dream that. Yes, there was some kind of the people who invested to bring this together never got the payoffs and because of the different countries, like there was really from a court standpoint, there was nothing you could They got completely screwed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they got soaked on the I'm gonna stay away from all that.
Speaker 4: There was another thing. Chris Webb was supposed to get the next two fights of either Danny Williams or Tyson, and then somehow that contract got screwed.
Speaker 3: Well, and he didn't get the Danny Williams. Isn't Williams stem? Yeah, Danny Williams. Uh, well, who wants the Danny Williams thing? Mike Tyson?
Speaker 4: After the guy beats Tyson, he was certainly what his next couple of fives with Tyson.
Speaker 1: I mean when you did you all watch the Jake Paul thing?
Speaker 4: Oh no, it lasted seven hours because buffering.
Speaker 3: Remember I was the only one on the air that was saying, he's going Tyson's gonna look awful. Yeah, this is going to be an embarrassment. No, he's gonna kill him. He's gonna kill Jake Paul. Tyson's eighty years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought it was sad the lead up to it, and then it Occasionally there'd be something that would give you a reminder of what Tyson was, But you know, it's twenty five to.
Speaker 3: Thirty years ago now.
Speaker 1: But I think even if he was in better shape and Jake Paul wasn't that much younger and clearly at least competent in what he does. I still think it was going to be clear that Tyson was gonna lay down because he was gonna get potentially life changing money for his children. I mean it was it was professional wrestling. I don't have ever asked you this, what are your thought? Not that I don't think you consume his content regularly, But Jake Paul, if anything, if there's one word to use, that's undeniable successful.
Speaker 3: Oh he's brilliant. The both of them are. These guys, they're an easy target, right to make respects right brand, They're an easy target. They know that they build something out of completely nothing, and they made a YouTube channel into millions and millions and millions of dollars, and then they they kept adjusting along the way, right, even with the hiccups of you know, filming in the suicide forest and Japan and all that. So even past that, they kept coming up and reinventing themselves. I have all respect for them. And all these tough guys want to, you know, make fun of them. Good luck that and those guys are tough to me.
Speaker 1: Again, it's from the ground up. It's a reminder of how much like the content they do. They can go in a lot of different directions and it always seems to work. And I think there's when you were I think what we see in everything they do is genuinely who they are. I could be wrong on that, but when people sense that they're P. T. Barnum, you attach yourself to Yeah. Absolutely, I give them all the credit in the world. Creating something from nothing like that has got to be credited to them. And you can make fun of them all you want with your again easy target, but dude, they are successful and really smart, wealthy, wealthy, wealthy unlike men and famous, wealth and fame. That sounds fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what's that like. Tony Terry will be in at three. We're gonna ask you
Speaker 1: All right, Tony Code up next right here on news radio eight forty w h A S.