Speaker 1: Think about it. Every hiring decision is a choice that can make or break a team, a culture, and even an entire company. So how do we make the right choice? Hi, I'm doctor Mickey, and welcome to Inside the Mind of Hiring. Here will uncover the psychology and strategy behind effective hiring, because the right fit isn't just about skill or experience. It's about understanding people, their motivations, their strengths, and the shadows of their shortcomings. Together, we'll tackle the tough questions, how do we look beyond bias? How do we find the qualities that make people not just qualified hires, but the right hires. This is about identifying leaders who drive success, lift morale, and actualize a company's vision. Inside the Mind of Hiring starts now. Hi everyone, this is Inside the Mind of high and my name is doctor Mickey Feinberg, a business psychologist here in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. So today's episode is titled a Leadership Lullaby HM. This episode is a continuing commentary in our recent series on questionable leadership practices. Last week we talked about leaders sabotaging leaders inadvertently or advertently, and we talked a week before about blind leadership. They're seeing, but they're not seeing. In some cases, leaders may sleep at the switch, so to speak, even when they have a great opportunity to capitalize on strong momentum. It's amazing to me that leaders might sleep when they have an opportunity to capitalize on strong momentum. So I'm going to ask doctor Patt about that soon. But he's an example. Was the WNBA All Star Week. As many of you know, the arrival of Caitlin Clark to the WMBA in twenty twenty two brought a major increase in fan interest and game attendance, media coverage, and league and team revenues. Another she's another star.
Speaker 2: Page.
Speaker 1: Bill Becker's of Connecticut or Yukon, as we most of us know, has been complimenting veterans with great play and likely adding strong value to the league as well. And you know, as a player, the league's recent All Star Game was a good opportunity to showcase its best players and further accelerate its good fortune. So what has been the commentary on the All Star Game during All Star Week? You know that's the main event, star game itself. Did the event truly add value to the league's profile or did it stall its momentum. It was likely most responsible for the game's impact, and what could these principles learn and change in future showcase events? So this is what happened. This is what happened, and I think doctor Patt knows, so I'm just going to what she would say. It was a high energy I don't want to be a curmudgeon, doctor Pat. It was a high energy and exciting week overall, with complimentary events, just like in the men's All Star week, the you know, the three point composition, the skills competitions, and the Chicago Arena was packed with loyal and vocal fans and the media was definitely showed up. So it was important it was described as a you know, celebratory and fun atmosphere. This situation was ripe for high mark high marks and a great impact. However, the All Star game itself brought mixed reviews at best. A key descriptor of the game was the Keystone Cops. The Keystone Cops. Other than some exciting highlights, the play was haphazard and fraught with both defensive and offensive sloppiness. When I when I viewed excerpts of the game, Doctor Patt. I was laughing out loud, you know at this this basically this comedy routine. And even before I saw the print media and electronic media that said it was the Keystone Cops, I automatically described it as the Keystone Cops. This display was not at all congruent with the talented players and a league that was on a roll. So, doctor Pat, who would you say and why is the most responsible for this unfortunate lallaby or leadership lallaby and missed opportunity?
Speaker 2: Uh? Was it?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: I want to step back for a minute, and I want to start where you start. I want to give Caitlin Clark and Asia Wilson a little kudos. Congratulations to both Clark and Wilson for again I think I don't even know if this isn't now another record, but uh, you're going to see a clip or video of Jessica is going to put up of Caitlin Clark and becoming Eastern Player of the Week, and as well, side by side there's a video of Asia Wilson. So I want to really caveat this because we are seeing great play. You know, they are not the only two that are playing great, but they're the information about their greatness is what is falling short. You know, if Caven Clark has a game like she had the other night, which now allegedly is being reported she was not well, I mean, I don't know what to believe anymore, but somebody made a statement out there on X that she really wasn't well. When I watched her, she didn't look well playing, she didn't look like herself. But yet she comes under criticism when you get Becker's that plays a game. And by the way, Becker's is now playing on the Dallas Wings. And just a little note to you all on the Dallas Wings, y'all need to look at what Texas just did. They banned THHC folks, just saying, just giving you a little insight right there on that you're playing in Dallas, you better be checking your stuff. But what I want to say is we got to give these two credit and we have to really look at the face of the league. I reacted this morning to an article that came out and I'm hoping I can find that article so I give it full discredit in the show. And it was an article that called Paige Becker's the real face of the lead, not Caitlin Clark. And my response to that was twofold. And we're going to talk about why leadership does start at the top. There is no question in your mind or mind. We know this, Mickey. How many interventions have we done where we work with department heads and directors and we made good work and then the CEO comes in he blows three years of work right?
Speaker 1: Or she does right?
Speaker 2: But what I want to say, yeah about the.
Speaker 1: Ads from the head right.
Speaker 2: But here's what I want to say about the All Star Game. I can't tell you how many people out there are writing, have have don shows, YouTube posts about how bad this was, how awful this It was terrible, It was terrible.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what broke my heart. I have thirty six years in recovery and I can spot people that had a little night out the night before. I mean, I'm not kidding. Does something about going down this road where you could see somebody walking down the street and you're thinking, oh, don't remember to get near his breath for her breath And then the video comes out from the Stubbuds and they do live streaming all weekend. So I'm going to get to the leadership question. But let's talk about the players. Let's talk about what happened. Do I blame Angel Reese and Page Beckers for their bad borderline? Really ridiculous, almost illegal behavior when you're flashing four hundred dollars bills up in the year on a video making a bet against each other, right, your team, my team and Land are going to be your team, Dallas, And you are doing that, Page and you're doing that Angel, and then you're asked later did you do that? You're like, all cute, so yeah, winking at the camera. No you didn't, you lied. And then leadership comes along. Kathy e that commissioner. The lullaby of leadership, right, we could do a whole lullaby. And what does she does in a what does she do in a pivotal wone? So here's the problem, doctor McKee. This is a league that wants to be taken seriously but is not willing to play by the rules. Jessica, I want you to put up that graphic. This is what's being said about this league. What do they do or not do They don't play fairly, they don't treat people the same. But here's the worst egregious thing. You've ever seen. They take that gambling video. Everybody think Pete Rose for a minute. They take that gambling video and the way post it, and they have no consequences because jokingly, jokingly, So let me just go to let me just go to the point now, if you want to be taken seriously at all, if you really do, if you want to play in the arena like everybody else, let's start with the NCAA. The NCAA has take no prisoners, absolutely no zero tolerance for what they did. So this is what I want to say. Calling this a joke did not make it not gambling. But Kathy did continues to do that comments about it. But I will tell you if they had done it under the NCAA rules and guidelines, the NCAA would have ended them. It would have been gone. But that's not my point, you know, doctor Miker. Let's talk about this from a leadership perspective. Have you ever worked with senior C suite leaders? Right, and somebody does something egregious, I mean really egregious. Right, Let's say you say something slur, a racial slur or a gender slu I'm telling you, Linda and I used to fire people left and right for the phone company for this, and you're jokingly in the bar. Oh yeah, you know what, not even on work premises, jokingly you're gone. Right, So Kathy Engelbert and the w NBA are giving joking about gambling a pass. So Kathy, this is to you, Leader, Leader, lullaby Champion. What you're gonna do? I'm telling you, there's a little song about that. What you're gonna do when somebody says something jokingly about somebody's race, What you're going to do when somebody says something jokingly about the gay community. What you're going to do? What you going to do when somebody says something jokingly about you or a coach? You see, because now you have made joking on a disastrous thing that any other sports vehicle would have banned people, gotten rid of them, investigative. You made it a joke. And you know what you just did. You made the w NBA a joke. That's what you did, untying, is that WNBA a joke? Because joking about gambling and then following up with the joke that I got to check my little PayPal account or whatever the hell that account was, and continuing the joke, you just laughing it up. And I'm telling you so.
Speaker 1: So basically she's by not saying anything doing anything, she's tolerating it, letting it happen. Oh no, she's trying to say, let me back the standard. Right.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I got to back you up. That is not what happened. They're just saying because it was jokingly done. See that's the problem. See she could have forgiven them out of ignorance, or she could have oh they missed the training. But what she said was because they were joking about gambling. Oh, because you're joking about that racial slur. Oh, because you're joking about that LGBTQ trans slur. He joked about it. So she has sent a whole precedence now for anyone that comes forward because compared to gambling. And I sent a post this morning, and I sent her the NCAA guidelines on what happens. Do you know how many players jokingly were sent to jail? How many athletes? There's this one guy, his name is Davis. He was joking at the airport. I'm not kidding. He joked to the airlines. Right, he got up, he got up to the window. He said, he said to the person behind the desk in which she asked him about the packing. He joked and he said, hey, did you did you pack the bomb? Holy crap? They took him away on the spot for what joking.
Speaker 1: Right about something about something? It should be a lot more serious. Basically, so you know, well, let me tell you something.
Speaker 2: Tell me about what you think. I want to know.
Speaker 1: The game was a joke. That's you know, you're saying that they joke about things. They joke about people inappropriately. They joked about the game. The game, which was the showcase event, was a joke. You mentioned to me.
Speaker 2: That how far this went. They even posted this gambling thing in Spanish and a legit like what do you think, angel, we are not going to read this. Some of us do speak of a little bit of Spanish. What you think We're not going to read that. But it's not even the game. So let me tell you, as a person in recovery, my heart broke when I saw the level of alleged Okay, I gotta say alleged, even though there's videos of it, Alleged of drinking right, alleged of gambling, alleged of really bad play. I mean, you don't miss a layup unless there's something physically wrong.
Speaker 1: They missed a lot of layups.
Speaker 2: But it breaks my heart and I'm saying leadership is absent. So you know what would have made this different. Leadership would have taken home. And by the way, all they showed with pictures of the general managers and the team, where the hell were the two coaches? Why didn't those two coaches set a standard and say you are not coming on this court if you are hungover, honey, and you don't pass a breathalyzer test.
Speaker 1: Right, Why didn't they.
Speaker 2: Set a standard? You know what the differences.
Speaker 1: They even what you said is even though they're grown ups, they should have some of the NCAA practices and policies.
Speaker 2: I'm just telling you what the NCAA is. If you want to play in the big leagues, you got to act like a big league. You don't act like Kathy jokingly made you a joke. You'd a joke. And here's what I want to say. Let's talk about this because the leadership could shape these young people. And people want to get all over Caitlyn Clark's cakes for her emotions on the court. I think some I think I'd love to sit down with Caitlyn Clark and become her emotional coach. I know exactly how to help her mentor her how to control those emotions on the court. I would know exactly how to do that. Who in the world is doing it? Not Stephanie White because allegedly stuff's coming out about her. I mean, what the heck this is like? This is worse than the worst Joker movie that came out. But it is a leader ship nicky.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's it's why didn't why didn't she expect and advocate for you know, let's showcase the game for a second. Why didn't she expect and advocate top flight play? It could have been. It would have been just as celebratory and fun as the slot that they put out.
Speaker 2: Okay, uh, you're going to look at somebody. I used to play softball. I got had more softball trophies, coach more softball teams here in Jersey, and I got to tell you when we went out the night before, we couldn't even see the ball. So I want to just say, when you are hungover, intoxicated, out all night, you are never going to be able to show up.
Speaker 1: Well exactly exactly, Hey, Pat, I thought you would, you would have fun after the game at the bar.
Speaker 2: Either way, I'm just saying we never did drink before a game. That was never gonna happen. On my watch, it was never going to happen. I mean, you can't stop people. They're just in the car drink and beer themselves. Yeah, but clearly after the game. The problem was when we were in tournaments and you get drunk after the game, then you got to play the next game.
Speaker 1: Oh well, yeah, that's some things.
Speaker 2: But look, here's leadership at its worst. There was no integrity risk. The league determined that this was trash talk. Okay, come on, now, do you know if you're going to say that's trash talk between friends, then you are not going to monitor be able to monitor any kind of trash talk. You're not gonna I.
Speaker 1: Mean, where is the show for some reason, some reason you know that that that that basically is we're going to act like men, and they're really not acting like men because in men's professional sports, you know, people do it, but they you know, they're not. It's kind of frowned upon by the league. They just don't doce it to that. They deal with that, they deal with that at least behind the scenes, they deal with that. They don't tolerat it that much.
Speaker 2: They don't. I mean, it's really clear. All of the critics that have come out have made a point that any male athlete in the NBA or NFL joked about a four hundred dollars side bet on their own game and then brag about it collecting the money after Angel, they would likely face immediate suspension, massive league investigations. And once a league investigates you, Okay, So here's what I want to say. This is what I said in my post. I said, newsflash, are you people forgetting that the Congress is watching you? Did you forget that? Hello, Olivia Miles, you tripping up Caitlin Clark in the game the other night? Did you really have to do that? Don't you know that is out there in the congress people's hands right now? You putting your leg out with the Clark and then the other one is punching Cunningham in the face. Know that these people they're not only watching you, they are copied on posts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a it's it's my heart is broken.
Speaker 2: Because I am a sports fan, I have been an advocate for women in sports all my life, all my life, all my life, and as a matter of fact, I was one of the first people in my sport to demand the play in an open championship because women weren't allowed to. But you see, somebody made a post the other day and they said Kathy should be replaced with Condal Liza Rice, And I said, you know, I'm not sure I ever voted for Canda Lisa Rice or anything, but she's got my vote.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Why don't we look at this leader and say you got to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean yeah, why don't they Why don't they let her go and and and recruit somebody and hire somebody that's going to uphould standards, standards of play and standards of conduct. You know, it's like, why is she letting everybody get away with? Does she act like that it Deloyd? I doubt it.
Speaker 2: Well, she has to be reminded of a few things. Let's lead people with, kid, She's got to be reminded of. This is called the this is what she has to be reminded of. You want to get the acknowledgment that the men get. Here's what I want to say to you, Kathy, Trevor Davis Airport incident a joke. They call this. He joked at the ticket line. He was arrested at on the spot. There was no kidding and there were severe consequences. Peter Freesmer Hockey, Lando Norris, Gilbert Arnus arrest on probation. These are people cases that the leagues that the w n b A might choose to be leaning based on their own public relation blenders. Both sports leagues and federal legal system generally maintained zero tolerance and Kathy, you cannot hide from this. It's not going to go within No.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I believe. I believe the coaches should have stepped up. I believe the players they're key stakeholders in this. They should have generally definitely stepped up and proactively. They should have gotten together and said, how what do we want to what do we want to show people? What do we want to advocate out there? How do we want to display ourselves? And I don't think anybody made them ask those questions and answered them as a group, uh, and challenge them if they wanted this to be a drunken, fun sloppy kind of display. I think it's it's if they want to go to the NBA standards. They got to stop start acting like they're serious about what they're doing, and it still could be fun and exciting and celebratory, you can come by.
Speaker 2: They are pasted the point of no return unless they do something about the gambling. Mickey, I'm just going to tell you that, right, well, they are past the point of credibility. You're saying they're past the point. They're past the point, and this they got there, passed the point of any credibility. But here's what I want to say, despite a letter from Congress around Caitlyn Clark, what we saw in the Lynx game the other night, the hit in the face to Cunningham, the tripping by Olivia Miles of Caitlin Clark, no fouls call, and Stephanie White, are you on sleeping pills or something that you can't get up from the bench and jump up and down? Can't you say something? Do something?
Speaker 1: And she doesn't see it. She doesn't see it, so she doesn't respond to it. She says she doesn't see it, so she she's basically admitting she's blind.
Speaker 2: Well, one last thing, the clip of that trip, there is a referee looking right at it. This is not integrity, and there isn't a leader in the bunch.
Speaker 1: No, I mean the players aren't taking enough accountability. The coaches are definitely not, and I would doubt that the team executives and owners are taking you know, much responsibility for this is I got.
Speaker 2: To tell you something. If somebody made a racial or an LGBT slur or sum slur against me jokingly, there is no you know what, no such thing as a joke when it comes to harming other people or breaking laws and systems. Yes, officer, I was jokingly playing and going through that red light. Oh laugh with me about that. Oh wait, I jokingly was trying to see how fast my car went. Oh chakari richardson what the heck is?
Speaker 1: When I'm you know, to me, it's the end result of compromising standards. And if you if you get into that mode, which is compromising you know, normal rules of engagement, professional rules of engagement, then you're not going to be as an app to compromise standards, standards of play, standards of work. And that's what's being allowed to happen. So I think somebody from the league in a power position has to acknowledge this or this league is going to be not taking advantage of opportunities.
Speaker 2: And I told you who the leader was going to.
Speaker 1: Run.
Speaker 2: We're going to pick it up again. We're going to run. But we had to talk about this because this is a leadership issue and leadership business leap. We'll see y'all next time.
Speaker 1: You have been listening to Inside the Mind of Hiring with me, Doctor Mickey Fine, tune in the first and third Tuesday at eleven on Transformation Talk Radio to discover the psychology of making successful hiring decisions. In each episode, hiring managers in HR pros will learn how to leverage assessments and other key screening sources and avoid common pitfalls. Job Seekers will gain insight into successfully presenting themselves. For more information on assessing people for mission critical jobs and on career assessment and coaching, visit deltaconsultants dot com and my LinkedIn profile. If you'd like to write me personally, It's Mickey and I c K. E y at deltaconsultants dot com.