Speaker 1: So it's a good idea not to wait till the last minute to apply. If you have to double check what to bring with you, call any Social Security office. Someone there will be glad to help you. In the Denver metro area called two three two three six five.
Speaker 2: Zero, the CBS Radio Mystery Theater presents come in Welcome. I'm e G. Marshall. For a brief moment, during the darkest night, we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world islanded in the stream of stars, pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across the eternal seas of space and time. Yes, for a moment, for only the briefest moment. She was kidnapped, sergeant.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: There were people on the street. Someone would have seen something. Are you sure she didn't run away?
Speaker 3: She was kidnapped, sergeant.
Speaker 2: But if she were kidnapped, you'd have received a ransom note. Is it possible for a girl to disappear without her trace, as if the earth just swallowed her up? Our mystery drama will Helmina Wilson was written especially for the Mystery Theater by Sam Dan and stars Paul hect I'll be back shortly with that. One absence, said the Roman philosopher, makes the heart grow fonder. However, an unexplained absence is bound to make the heart grow anxious. Society takes note of this fact, which is why every police department has its Bureau of Missing Persons. My name is Truesdale, Sydney Tuesdale. Yes, mister Truesdale, I'm his wife.
Speaker 3: Mollie Truesdale is.
Speaker 2: A lieutenant downstairs. He said, to see you, Sergeant Keller.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you wish to report a missing person?
Speaker 2: Well, now that you.
Speaker 5: Ask did, there's no way to get around it. She's a missing person.
Speaker 4: Who were we talking about?
Speaker 5: My?
Speaker 2: Our daughter?
Speaker 5: And her name Margaret Truesdale. But she's known professionally as.
Speaker 4: Margie True, Margie True.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's shorter, snappier than Margaret Truesdale.
Speaker 3: That's not important. Besides, I'm sure he never even heard of her.
Speaker 2: No, I need some statistics. Female, eh, Margaret or Margie Truesdale or True? Age twenty three?
Speaker 3: He'll be twenty three? Is he twenty two?
Speaker 2: Blonde?
Speaker 4: Natural height five nine?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 4: How long has she been missing?
Speaker 2: How long? About three hours?
Speaker 4: I should think it's almost one.
Speaker 3: O'clock in the morning, at least four hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's hardly enough time to be.
Speaker 2: What were you going to say, it's hardly something to be concerned about.
Speaker 4: Yes, Now when was she do home?
Speaker 2: The library closes at eight thirty.
Speaker 3: Yes, she'd gone there to return.
Speaker 2: A book because she always comes right back.
Speaker 5: She should have been home nine o'clock at the latest.
Speaker 4: Well, she might have gone to a movie.
Speaker 3: She would have called.
Speaker 2: Besides, she doesn't like to go alone. Just because a girl, actually a young lady. Just because you haven't heard from her in four hours, she may have met someone.
Speaker 3: She doesn't stay up late.
Speaker 2: She can't. She's in training.
Speaker 3: She's missing.
Speaker 5: There's nowhere she might have gone, nowhere she's supposed to have gone except home, and that's four hours ago.
Speaker 2: Sergeant. You have to find her.
Speaker 4: Yes, and now I suggest you go home.
Speaker 2: What are you trying to do? Get rid of us?
Speaker 5: I don't think you're taking this seriously, sergeant.
Speaker 4: Please missus trusday.
Speaker 2: Your place is home by the phone in case she's trying to reach you. Well, you saw her last.
Speaker 5: At six thirty, and she was wearing the cocoa brown flax and an eggshell blouse.
Speaker 2: She was carrying the beige sweater. Do you have a picture of her? See, I told you they'd want a picture.
Speaker 4: Thank you. She's very pretty. Your address at six thirteen.
Speaker 5: Delaware, and the library's at the corner of Garfield.
Speaker 2: So somewhere in those eight blocks right right.
Speaker 4: We'll start the routine.
Speaker 3: Routine, routine.
Speaker 2: This is our daughter, he means the police routine. And Molly, what are you going to do?
Speaker 3: I mean right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I we'll check out the hospital, say a thing like that. We will do everything we can to find your daughter. Sergeant Keller, Oh yeah, Martie, the Tuesday will girl. Yeah, what have you got? Nothing?
Speaker 4: Huh? Anything from the cup on the beat hospitals? How about the Morgue? Oh okay, thanks?
Speaker 3: May I help you?
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm a police detective. My identification.
Speaker 2: Oh were you working here at the library last night, miss Dacy?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And to win well.
Speaker 5: Wednesday nights we close the library at eight thirty.
Speaker 4: Do you know miss Margaret Truesdale?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, what do you know about her?
Speaker 3: Is she in any trouble?
Speaker 4: I hope not.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: I really don't know very much about her.
Speaker 4: Was she in last night?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, she was?
Speaker 4: What time did she arrive.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. I didn't see her come in.
Speaker 4: Do you know when she left?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes, at exactly seven point thirty.
Speaker 4: You're sure, Oh, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Because when she said good night to me, I remember saying to her, I've got one more hour to go.
Speaker 4: Do you know anything at all about her?
Speaker 5: Oh, she's a very pretty girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah she is.
Speaker 3: Oh see, she looks.
Speaker 5: To be about nineteen. She comes in quite often early in the evening. She reads for a while, and then she takes out.
Speaker 3: A book and leaves.
Speaker 4: Is she ever in here with anyone?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, she's always alone.
Speaker 4: Does she talk to anybody?
Speaker 3: Just to me? As far as I know.
Speaker 4: What do you talk about?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Books?
Speaker 3: Mostly?
Speaker 4: What kind of books?
Speaker 2: Fiction?
Speaker 3: Usually short stories?
Speaker 4: Who's your favorite author?
Speaker 5: I would say Edgar Allan Poe? This one book she'd head out for quite a while. By that, I mean she'd keep renewing it in What book was that? As a matter of fact, she'd returned it last night. She said she'd finally bought herself a copy and didn't need ours anymore.
Speaker 4: What's the name of the book?
Speaker 5: Oh, William Wilson and Other Stories by Edgar Allan Poe.
Speaker 3: Why do I ask.
Speaker 2: Sergeant, I'm just hoping one thing may lead to another. Nay, what is this all about, miss Stacy? It seems you're the last person I can find so far who has seen Miss Truesdale since she.
Speaker 4: Left here last night. I don't understand she disappeared.
Speaker 5: Oh, does anyone have any ideas as to why.
Speaker 4: I came here to see? If you have any ideas?
Speaker 5: As I said, I don't really know her. She's very quiet. She's been coming in for a long time. We say hello, we say goodbye. We occasionally passed the time of day while she checks out a book.
Speaker 4: On those occasions, what do you talk about?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Nothing, There is nothing of any significance. Maybe the weather if it's unusually hot or cold.
Speaker 3: Or rainy or dry.
Speaker 4: And that's all. Oh, yes, just about miss Dacy. Tried to think. Did she ever say anything else?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 5: Really, nothing significant that could.
Speaker 2: Even be insignificant?
Speaker 5: Oh, sergeant, I wish I had some idea of what you want?
Speaker 2: Yes? And why is he? At seven thirty last night? She left here, presumably to return home. It's an eight and a half block walks south along Delaware. It's a wide, well lighted street filled with people. There was any vile once it would have been noticed.
Speaker 3: Well, then perhaps she didn't go home.
Speaker 4: Where else was she bound for?
Speaker 2: And why.
Speaker 4: Was there anything unusual in her manner last night?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, not that I could see, miss Dacy.
Speaker 2: Could you keep thinking and see if you come up with anything, anything at all?
Speaker 4: Oh, it's his Truesdawn.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's the police, sergeant's sid.
Speaker 3: It's the sergeant.
Speaker 4: May I come in?
Speaker 3: Oh? Have you found her?
Speaker 2: And no?
Speaker 3: Oh? Is there any news?
Speaker 4: I'm afraid not.
Speaker 3: Do you hear what he says?
Speaker 2: Seed?
Speaker 3: He's afraid not? What's that supposed to mean?
Speaker 2: I guess it means they have no news yet.
Speaker 5: I think it means a little bit more than that, like what it means they've been looking, but so far they're lit.
Speaker 3: Isn't that a fact?
Speaker 4: Sergeant? Well we need more information.
Speaker 2: Well you know her name, what she looks like, how she was dressed? What more can we tell you?
Speaker 4: Would she have any reason for leaving home? What are you saying?
Speaker 5: It's obvious what he's saying said. He's implying she ran off.
Speaker 4: I'm suggesting it as a possibility.
Speaker 2: And I'm here to go on record that it's an impossibility.
Speaker 4: Why is that, mister Truesdale.
Speaker 3: Now you have no right to ask slimmer down, said simmered Down. He's a cop.
Speaker 5: They've got a right to ask anything they please. No, Sergeant, she did not run off.
Speaker 4: Can you be sure of it?
Speaker 2: Why would a.
Speaker 5: Girl who loved her home, loved her parents, and loved her career just up and take off?
Speaker 4: Yes? Where did she work at.
Speaker 3: The Sunrise Athletic Club?
Speaker 2: What sort of job did she have there? No, she wasn't employed there. What my wife means is that she worked out there.
Speaker 4: Oh, she was an athlete.
Speaker 5: See sid, he never heard of her. You never heard of Margie, true, sergeant, and.
Speaker 4: No, not until you reported her missing.
Speaker 3: He doesn't know who she is, what she does.
Speaker 5: And we're paying your friend Morrison a pretty penny for publicity too.
Speaker 2: He's not my friend, all right, all right? She goes to the athletic club. Now, why, she's probably the best swimmer in the world.
Speaker 3: What do you mean.
Speaker 2: Probably when she was about fourteen, she was very sick and the doctor said the best thing for her would be the swim.
Speaker 5: She became a champion swimmer by the time she recovered her health.
Speaker 2: That took more than six years.
Speaker 5: Anyhow, she decided she should go.
Speaker 3: Into the Olympics.
Speaker 2: She's almost twenty three. That's maybe a little old. Actually, she started at a time when most of these kids are ready to retire. But she's got it and.
Speaker 3: We've been working with her setting things up.
Speaker 2: This is the year she has to make it. Yes, but the fact is she's missing now. People disappear for one of three general reasons. First, foul play, oh say that. The second, for some reason of their own. She'd have absolutely no reason to run away.
Speaker 4: A third. I think this is very rare amnesia.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 5: Our little girl is wandering around somewhere, not even knowing.
Speaker 3: Who she is.
Speaker 4: I'd like to talk with some of her friends.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they wouldn't know very much.
Speaker 4: Could you give me some names.
Speaker 3: She wasn't really that close with too many people.
Speaker 4: Does she have a boyfriend?
Speaker 5: No, you can't fit because she isn't pretty.
Speaker 2: If she was interested the way they buzz around like bees after honey.
Speaker 5: But she's in training early to bed, no distractions.
Speaker 2: The idea is, you win the Olympics, you get the fame, the publicity, and you go on from there. Endorsements, TV movies, a whole new important career, and then then.
Speaker 5: You're exposed to a totally different class of men.
Speaker 4: Tell me about her daily routine.
Speaker 2: Well, she'd sleep with the club in the morning, say.
Speaker 3: About nine, and she'd work out till lunch.
Speaker 2: And then she'd rest and back again for lessons in practice so forth.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty solid day.
Speaker 4: And that's all she did.
Speaker 5: Well enough, we'd go out to dinner shore or we'd stay home and watch TV.
Speaker 2: Is she like to go to the library. She'd loved to read because she was very intelligent. She could talk about things like what, well, you know things specifically, just things in general. Can you remember any individual topics a sergeant, there's no point giving me the third degree.
Speaker 3: I don't speak to the sergeant like that.
Speaker 5: Sid right now, he's our only hope. Well, what do people talk about in the weather, sports, the news?
Speaker 3: What's happening?
Speaker 4: Did she seem nervous or scared lately?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? It means I guess was she maybe afraid of something? Of what? That's what this police officer wants to know.
Speaker 5: Let me set you straight, sergeant. She had nothing to be afraid. She'd done nothing bad.
Speaker 4: Was there anything at all unusual about her?
Speaker 2: Behavior.
Speaker 3: No, nothing, she's got anesia.
Speaker 2: I know it.
Speaker 3: Well, what does that well mean?
Speaker 2: It means he's in the dark, he's up a tree, just like us.
Speaker 5: Well, what are you standing around here for, sergeant? Why aren't you out looking for her?
Speaker 2: Out where I need help.
Speaker 3: We're willing to help.
Speaker 2: You are willing, But I'm afraid you are not able. We are doing everything we can.
Speaker 4: You are not answering my question.
Speaker 2: That isn't so. You don't know who her friends are. You don't know what she thinks about. She's a very dedicated girl.
Speaker 4: Yes, then why does she run off?
Speaker 5: She would never run off she has amnesia.
Speaker 4: Why would she have amnesia?
Speaker 3: Well, because she's.
Speaker 2: An athlete in training, she's in perfect health.
Speaker 3: Well, then she was kidnapped.
Speaker 4: Right off the street Delaware Avenue.
Speaker 5: They could have overpowered her, forced her into a car.
Speaker 2: She wouldn't go quietly. She seems a big, strong girl.
Speaker 3: I don't say it like that. You make her sound ungainly. She's beautifully built.
Speaker 2: You can't rule out the possibility of kidnapping, sergeant. You'd have received word by now about a ransom.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe it's the kind of kidnapping where girls are sold into you know slavery.
Speaker 2: Oh please, Molly a sergeant. We're desperate, Yes, Sir, I understand, and I just wish you knew a little more about her.
Speaker 5: Sergeant, find her, please, She's own little girl, and we love her.
Speaker 2: There is a public service announcement on the air during the evening which asks the question, you know where your children are? That's a good question. However, a question, more to the point is one that asks, do you know who your child is? I suppose some people would be afraid to find out more information on this general subject. In act too shortly. You need not wander afar to seek out the stranger. He is with you, within you. What the poet is saying is how can we hope to see the truth in others when we are unaware of what the truth is about ourselves? Who are we? What are we? And why? This has preoccupied the finest brain since the beginning of time. So if we don't completely settle live here, Please don't ask for your money back, Sargeant killer, What can I do for you?
Speaker 4: What do you know about Margie Truesdale. Well, I'm not trying to evade your question, Sergeant, I'm just trying to think what do I know about Margie? Yes, it has to be nothing, mister Sparta. You're her swimming coach. She spends eight hours a day here.
Speaker 2: Or did I think she was fourteen, skinny, consumptive, anemic little thing and just barely alive today? Would you believe it?
Speaker 4: I can't believe you know nothing about her.
Speaker 2: As some people go through life, talkers, this one's a listener.
Speaker 4: Are you telling me she says nothing at all?
Speaker 2: Oh, she talks. I even go so far as to say she chatters, But you analyze the conversation and there's nothing there. Still, you've known this girl for eight years. You do have some sort of relationship. Look out that window, sergeant, see that swimming pool that forms the boundaries of our relationship.
Speaker 4: But you do talk about something true.
Speaker 2: We have long talks about diet, breat control, coordination. Look, I played ball at school. I was close to my coach. I mean there were times when we just sit around, you know, and I know what you're looking for, but it's not here, not like with the other kids. So you become more than just a coach. You're sort of an older brother, maybe your second father. You talk about what really bothers kids today, sex, friendship, life, but not with her. I can't even begin to imagine. Well, why was she training all out constantly? I mean, was it something she wanted or were her parents putting on the pressure. I don't know where all that tremendous dedication came from. Could have been hers, could have been there.
Speaker 4: How did she feel toward her mother and father?
Speaker 2: Well? I never saw so much love on the part of a kid, considering the circumstances.
Speaker 4: What circumstances, Well, considering they weren't her.
Speaker 2: Real father and mother. Just because two people adopt a child, that doesn't mean they're not the real parents. Well, I didn't mean it to sound that way. He was her stepfather. And then when her mother died, Margie was still a little girl and he married Mollie. He said, Molly raised her like their own. What were her chances for making the Olympics? Well a lot goes into that, But I don't see how she can be kept out. She's ready. The trials begin in a couple of weeks, but if she's not around, she'll miss him. Also, every day she's gone, she's losing out on training.
Speaker 4: You really can't give me anything to go on, can you?
Speaker 2: Sorry? Friends, and I don't think she had any. She had to be friendly with some bow with everybody. That's not the same as having friends. I can't believe there was nothing to this girl's existence except swimming.
Speaker 4: She must have had another life, one that nobody knew about.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But where did she lead it? And when did you find the time?
Speaker 4: Well? I love their sergeant, I'm ms.
Speaker 5: What are you drinking?
Speaker 4: I'm on duty.
Speaker 5: Lemonade, make it sour. That's sixty cent sage. Gotta keep things on the up and.
Speaker 2: Up, you know.
Speaker 4: And did you read in the papers about a girl named Margaret Truesday?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I never read the papers.
Speaker 5: Why should I go chasing it the bad news?
Speaker 4: It'll come soon enough. Yeah, well this one just disappeared.
Speaker 5: Oh well girls do that quite often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is a photograph.
Speaker 5: Ah nice, Yes, indeed, got a meat on those bones and it all looks like.
Speaker 4: A proud she's a swimmer. She just vanished.
Speaker 5: Not, if I can paraphrase the French she or she long?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, there's no.
Speaker 2: Man involved that you know of, that anybody knows of.
Speaker 5: Ah, Joe, you've got a certain tone in your voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could you be falling for this?
Speaker 3: Chicken.
Speaker 4: I don't even know her.
Speaker 5: The ones you don't know, the most dangerous kind.
Speaker 4: And look the way it is now. She just vanished from the face of the earth. No motive, no clue, nothing that's bad.
Speaker 5: I could get a young romantic god like yourself, all bothered and curious.
Speaker 4: Moms. Now, you hear a lot of things in a place like.
Speaker 3: This, sure, but what I hear stays here?
Speaker 4: Is there a rumble on this?
Speaker 3: I haven't heard anything, Joe.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody grabbed her off the street.
Speaker 2: You never can tell.
Speaker 3: I'll listen, Joe.
Speaker 5: It's against my principles, but I'll stick my ear up. You know why, because I'm a sucker for romance.
Speaker 4: I cut it out, will you.
Speaker 5: I can see you got a thing for this girl. Can't say as I blame you.
Speaker 4: I'm only doing my job, you know. I tell you what scares me. Yeah, she's a swimmer. She's reaching for the big time. She has to get known, she has to compete. She's been traveling to meets in Canada and Mexico all over.
Speaker 2: So do I have to spell it out for you? Maybe she's been caught up in some smuggling. The pros have been known to use kids like her.
Speaker 5: Ah, you really must have fallen in love with her.
Speaker 4: Why do you insist that I'm in love with her?
Speaker 5: Well, look me straight in the eye and say, no, I'm not in love with her.
Speaker 2: No, don't be silly.
Speaker 5: Oh that's how it is with some of you cops. You like those nights of old, always rescuing fair maidens in distress, and naturally you got to fall in love.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 4: All right, all right, that's enough.
Speaker 2: Ones. If you hear anything at all concerning this girl, will you let me know?
Speaker 3: Sure, and it won't cost you a thing. Uh, let it be my witting presence.
Speaker 4: Oh for crying out loud?
Speaker 2: Tell her?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Uh.
Speaker 2: The parents of this girl, Margaret Truesdale, what do they want?
Speaker 4: Inspector? Miracles, inspector.
Speaker 2: They're phoning me every minute of the day and night. She just disappeared, and I I I know, I know what you're gonna say. Nobody just vanishes into thin air. There has to be some clue. Look, I'm doing the best I can I go.
Speaker 4: I got nothing to go on. I'm making bricks without straw.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yes, sir, yes sir. Just as soon as something turns up.
Speaker 4: Sure thing, see what could have happened to her? Any Hello, a Sergeant Keller.
Speaker 6: I know it's very late, I mean very early in the morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure is.
Speaker 6: I got your home number from your office. I said it with an emergency. You have to come over here right away.
Speaker 2: Have you heard from Margie?
Speaker 6: No, but I'm calling you because otherwise there's going to be a lot of trouble and embarrassment. And can you come over?
Speaker 2: No, it's my wife and she has this idea, and well you'd better talk to her.
Speaker 3: Sergeant, I know what happened to my daughter.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 5: It's a wonder it didn't occur to you. After all, you're a professional, and it's so simple.
Speaker 3: She's been kidnapped.
Speaker 4: Missus Tuesday or we've been through this already. There's been no note. You are not wealthy people.
Speaker 3: But she was not kidnapped for money.
Speaker 5: She was kidnapped by one or another of the Iron Curtain countries.
Speaker 3: Don't you understand.
Speaker 4: Oh well, no, she's a threat.
Speaker 5: Those countries take these competitions seriously. They're doing this to keep her out of the games. Oh you don't believe it.
Speaker 4: I was pretty far fast.
Speaker 5: You're a police officer, and you have connections with the FBI, yes, and you're coordinated with the CIA.
Speaker 4: Not that I know of.
Speaker 3: You get to work on this immediately or.
Speaker 5: You will force me to get in touch with my congressman and my senator.
Speaker 2: No, Molly, it's awfully late. Why don't you get to bed.
Speaker 3: Don't think you can fluff me off.
Speaker 2: Nobody's got that idea. As the sergeant is going to notify all the necessary authorities, you get all the wheels in motion.
Speaker 5: Once the government steps in, they won't dare to harm her.
Speaker 2: You look awfully tired.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes i am. I'm very very tired.
Speaker 5: But sergeant, you do believe I've given you a logic collection explanation.
Speaker 4: Well, it does deserve thinking.
Speaker 3: About, and you'll start what you like to call the routine.
Speaker 4: Get on it right away.
Speaker 5: Now I can go to bed. Did will you show the sergeant out?
Speaker 2: Why? Sure, thing, Bobby, good night, Good night, missus Treusdale. I had to call you, otherwise she'd be phoning the President of the United States. Yeah, yeah, okay, And besides, who says she has to be off base? Crazy things happened today?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Sure, sure? Well, good night, mister Trusdale. Don't go now, it's late and my day starts early. I know what you must think of me and my wife. You you don't care for us.
Speaker 4: Now, why do you say that?
Speaker 2: Well, I I guess we come over like like stage parents, you know, the kind of push their kids toward a career.
Speaker 4: Well, isn't that what you did?
Speaker 1: Know?
Speaker 4: This whole training routine was her idea?
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember you said she decided she should go into the Olympics, but she did without any help from you or missus Truesdale. Oh, we approved, but the idea was hers. Is there any chance she might have suggested it to win your approval?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: If she were to appear right now and say, mom, dad, I want to throw the whole thing over, what would you say to her? Impossible?
Speaker 4: Impossible for her to say that.
Speaker 2: Well, impossible to think she'd even want to. All right, Oh, do you mind if I have a look at her room. I don't know, Maybe I can find something. Oh, I want to know this girl better. Maybe there's something in the room. I too. Here, see everything just as she left it.
Speaker 4: She was very neat.
Speaker 2: I hope we haven't touched a thing. See in the waste basket, we haven't even emptied it. Just a crumpled piece of paper here, it's going to stay right there. M funny. It's probably the last thing she ever wrote. Two?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Nothing at all? Test the name? The name? Whose nobody's name that I know of? What's the name Wilson? We don't even know anyone named Wilson.
Speaker 4: Wilson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, will Helmina Wilson.
Speaker 4: Could I see that?
Speaker 2: What far?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: All right? Yeah, but I want it back, Will Helmina Wilson. Is this your daughter's handwriting?
Speaker 4: Of course? M. She writes will Helmina Wilson, as if it's a signature. She's written it four or five or six times, as if she were practicing how to sign it. Why.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine, Will Helmina Wilson? Have you ever heard that name in any connection? Now, wait a minute, Maybe I have where where I heard it somewhere before. Maybe one that sounds an awful lot like it. He's heard one that's very close to it, and so have you. It's a name that's fraught with significance, as they say, provided you know just how to look at it. Stop for a minute, think for a minute, and it should all fall into place, and if it doesn't, we'll take care of it. Next three. What's in a name? Asked mister Shakespeare, That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet and so forth. While we hate to differ with the immortal Bard, we must quarrel with his premise everything is in a name? And who can say that the rose doesn't smell sweeter precisely because it's called a rose? The fact is where the captives of our own propaganda.
Speaker 4: Will Helmina Wilson. You're sure this name means nothing to you, mister trusdown Nothing at all, missus Trusdowne, Well, I asked her.
Speaker 2: She doesn't know either.
Speaker 4: All right? And where did I hear it? I'm sorry to bother you, mister Sparta.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to be of help. I'm can I tell you.
Speaker 4: The name will help? Mina Wilson? Is that familiar?
Speaker 2: Will Helmina Wilson?
Speaker 4: Who is she?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: She isn't anybody, but she has to be somebody.
Speaker 2: Noo, will help me? No Wilson is a rhythm?
Speaker 4: Oh what.
Speaker 2: She's Margie's rhythm? While she swims, Margie keeps saying, will help me? No Wilson will help me, No, Wilson and oh it's a simple six feet rhythm.
Speaker 4: Da da see it helps.
Speaker 2: So set up a little chant like that.
Speaker 4: That's all will Helmina Wilson is.
Speaker 2: Why what do you think it was?
Speaker 5: Well, here's a handsome young police officer.
Speaker 2: Like you need a drink, I do.
Speaker 4: Which is why I'm not going to have one.
Speaker 5: Well, tell old moms, what's the problem.
Speaker 4: I just stop buying in case you may have heard something.
Speaker 3: About who oh yeah, chick.
Speaker 2: Hey, how many times I have to tell you there's nothing there?
Speaker 5: If there was nothing there, you do only have to tell me once.
Speaker 4: Well what do you hear?
Speaker 3: Not a whisper?
Speaker 4: See, somebody has to know something. Oh sure, I just can't find a handle on this case.
Speaker 3: Oh poor Joe.
Speaker 5: Tell me, is this the kind of girl you've been looking for all your life?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, mom, she's an interesting girl. Good.
Speaker 5: We finally got that out in the open.
Speaker 2: Now you can go to work.
Speaker 4: I've been working without let up since the case came in.
Speaker 5: Working, yeah, but thinking No, I don't follow Joe. When I saw you for the first time, you know what I said to myself, I said that one's going to be a smart cup once he sets down, you got this dame on the brain.
Speaker 4: Look, we don't have to keep talking about that aspect of it.
Speaker 5: But I suppose it was an old lady that was missing or a guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, a guy.
Speaker 2: It'd be even better.
Speaker 3: Better for what better to prove my point?
Speaker 4: So far? You haven't made one, Joe.
Speaker 3: Just pretend you're not in love with it?
Speaker 4: Who says I am? Okay, okay, let it go.
Speaker 5: Guys like you who are already over thirty, you were always afraid of getting married. Hey, listen, so you make up excuses to get up this ideal or some dane that's just gorgeous but out of reach.
Speaker 4: See, moms, I've seen all those moving pictures too.
Speaker 5: You know where do you think life gets its ideas from the movie.
Speaker 2: I'm going at this case the same way I tackle every other.
Speaker 5: That's what you say, But just take a deep breath and think think about it from every angle.
Speaker 4: I am good.
Speaker 5: Now ask yourself the question you should have asked the very first night.
Speaker 2: Am I being had?
Speaker 3: Think about it?
Speaker 2: Joe?
Speaker 3: Are you being had? Do you have any news? Sergeant?
Speaker 4: I may have?
Speaker 3: What does that mean? Sid? What did he say?
Speaker 2: As argent? Oh? What do you have to tell us. I'm thinking about what you told me, and all rests on the assumption that your daughter could disappear on a crowded, well lighted street.
Speaker 3: Assumption, sid, he said, assumption.
Speaker 2: I heard what he said. I'm afraid it didn't work.
Speaker 4: The only way she could disappear was for.
Speaker 2: You to arrange a place for her to go to. No, now you'd better listen to me. At first, I had the idea maybe she might have gotten into a little jam. She went swimming meets in Canada and Mexico.
Speaker 4: Maybe she carried some pot for somebody, and maybe something a little stronger.
Speaker 2: That's a lie.
Speaker 4: Actually, I didn't believe it myself.
Speaker 3: Then what are you trying to imply?
Speaker 2: I think it's all a publicity stunt, but it's gone sour.
Speaker 3: How dare you?
Speaker 5: Sid, coldest man, superior officer, whoever he is.
Speaker 2: I'll give you his name and the phone number myself, but you'd better hear the rest of it first. Now, the stakes are tremendous. I should have realized that in the beginning the Olympics. They become a fantastic media event. The winners get more than the old Laurel wreath, even more than the gold medal I'll hold at the minute talk time. You have no right your old swimmer disappears. That will be the headline, wouldn't it? When I could have been? But all you got was a couple of lines on page seventeen and nothing to speak of on the air. The media didn't bite, or maybe you didn't know how to promote it. You don't understand she's missing when you need it was an experienced inventive publicity guy.
Speaker 4: He might have pulled it off.
Speaker 3: It isn't true.
Speaker 2: You have to keep it alive, so you feed me little things like this iron curtain plot.
Speaker 3: It could be true, and.
Speaker 2: Then you try to fob off this name at me, this will Helmina Wilson. Why did you pretend you didn't know what it was, mister Truesday, Well, I don't have the pander's.
Speaker 5: Idea, Red, Who is Willowmina Wilson?
Speaker 2: Didn't you think I check it out with Dick Sparter. I mean you're trying to tell me you actually don't know that will Helmina.
Speaker 4: Wilson is the name, she says to herself while she's swimming.
Speaker 3: I never heard of it.
Speaker 4: Where is she.
Speaker 2: We don't know she disappeared.
Speaker 4: You knowingly mislead the police.
Speaker 3: We haven't missed the truth.
Speaker 4: Wait, will Helmina Wilson. I just remembered, I just remembered.
Speaker 5: Has there been any word of March Tuesday or Sergeant?
Speaker 4: I know, miss Stacy.
Speaker 2: I just came by the library to ask a question, and you said she liked to read a book she kept renewing.
Speaker 4: Would you tell me the name of it again?
Speaker 5: Oh, William Wilson and other stories by Edgar Allan Poe.
Speaker 2: William Wilson, Yes, I guess I made a mistake. Funny, I thought it was Wilhelmina Wilson.
Speaker 3: Well that's close.
Speaker 5: Actually, Wilhelmina is the feminine form of William.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, Helmina Wilson. I wonder that story? Do you do you suppose I could read it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I serdaenly wait here.
Speaker 2: A yes, Mss Wilhelmina Wilson. Yes, yes, And you dyed your hair. You changed your makeup.
Speaker 4: M Instead of wearing biges and browns, I see you've gone in for blues and grays. It does give you a different look.
Speaker 3: Who are you?
Speaker 4: Oh? Sorry, I'm a police detective. Sergeant Joe Keller, May I, may I come in? Why I wanna talk to you about Margaret Truesdale.
Speaker 3: Uh, alright, what what do you want to know?
Speaker 4: First?
Speaker 2: I'd I'd like to know if you'll marry me, y, for we'll not right away, we'd have to get to know each other better.
Speaker 4: Or although I know all about you already.
Speaker 3: What do you know about me?
Speaker 4: Start with a girl just in her teens, father dies and mother remarries.
Speaker 2: Will the stepfather accept her? And then the mother dies and the stepfather remarries. Will the strange new woman accept her as a daughter?
Speaker 3: Why do you want me to relive all this?
Speaker 4: She thinks she's a very unattractive girl.
Speaker 3: Oh I was. I was pale and skinny, always sitch.
Speaker 2: So they bring you to a friend, Dick Sparta, a swimming coach, and you work out every day.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did, hour after hour, and.
Speaker 4: It changes you.
Speaker 2: It also becomes obvious to everyone that you could be a great swimmer. Yes, and everybody begins to count the money, taste the glory.
Speaker 3: Yes, at first Sid and Molly were only thinking of me.
Speaker 5: Later the thing just overpowered and blew their perspectives crazy. At first, I was so happy because finally I could do something.
Speaker 3: To please them, repay them for all they did for me.
Speaker 5: You were a good little girl, yes, but after a while it became torture. Every stroke was agony, every lap was I don't want to say, oh, percatory.
Speaker 2: I understand, But couldn't you face them, couldn't you say, look, Mom, look Dad?
Speaker 5: I was scared. I was still very insecure. Besides, I told you they had changed.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: All they could talk about was how rich, how famous we would become, the fantastic.
Speaker 3: Things we could do.
Speaker 4: And then you read that story William Wilson, about a man who has another self.
Speaker 3: Yes, another self.
Speaker 5: That was what I needed, and so inside me I created Wilhelmina Wilson. Inside I was Wilhelmina Wilson. Every time I swam, I would say will Helmina Wilson. Oh, I wanted to run away, just disappear.
Speaker 3: But where could I go? How would I live? All I ever learned to do was swim.
Speaker 4: Couldn't you study something?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 5: After the kind of day I put in a matter of fact, I wanted to take a secretarial course. But Sit and Molly both jumped on me. What do you need that for you'll never use it. You're going to be rich.
Speaker 3: You know what I did.
Speaker 5: I tried to raise money by entering contests under the name of wilhelm Me and to Wilson. I never won anything, anything at all.
Speaker 4: Until dear Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: I bought a fifty cent lottery ticket in the name of Wilhelmina Wilson, and that did it. Can you imagine the minute I saw that winning number.
Speaker 2: I took this apartment and that's how I found you.
Speaker 5: Twenty five thousand dollars. It can give me a start.
Speaker 2: Where does this leave me? Your parents reported you as a missing person. I'm a police officer.
Speaker 4: I found you.
Speaker 3: I can't go home. Do you know why. I just can't swim any more. I can't take the pressure.
Speaker 5: I'm out of it. That's going to break their hearts.
Speaker 4: They're broken hearted now, but this.
Speaker 5: Way they'll still have their dreams that I could have been the greatest swimmer in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't go back, Yes you can.
Speaker 5: No, I'm no longer scared. Little Margie Treusdale. And they wouldn't understand Wilhelmina Wilson.
Speaker 3: They would never forgive.
Speaker 5: Her for for wasting that chance of a lifetime.
Speaker 4: Do you know who they could understand, forgive and accept?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 4: Missus? Joseph Keller?
Speaker 3: Who she?
Speaker 4: She would be my wife?
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: You don't you want to get to know me?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know. I suppose I could.
Speaker 2: By that time the Olympic trials will be over.
Speaker 3: They'll never forgive me.
Speaker 2: Sure will once we make it very clear that you forgive them. I would assume that after a suitable passage of time, everyone in this particular story forgave everybody else, although why and for what is not exactly crystal clear. After all, we do our best to reach a goal, but so many times that goal isn't even our own.
Speaker 4: I'll be back shortly.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for a sensible way you can profit instead of being squeezed by today's high interest rates, call this toll free number right now eight hundred two two eight five thousand. Ask the operator to send you detailed information on Dreyfus liquid assets. Find out how you can take advantage of the income earning opportunity that Dryfus offers with its money market fund.
Speaker 4: Consider the benefits.
Speaker 7: Your money work hard because you participate in today's rising money market, and it's always available when you need it. Plus you get the flexibility of withdrawing cash by phone or writing checks to pay larger bills, no charge for the checks, and never a penalty or sales charge. Today, you owe it to yourself to earn as much as you can on your money, So call eight hundred two to eight five thousand for complete information and a prospectus including management fee, charges and expenses. Read the prospectives carefully before you invest. Learn how you can get the lion's share of today's high interest rates from Dreyfus Liquid Assets eight hundred two to eight five thousand, toll free eight hundred two to eight five thousand. Dryfus pays for the call this.
Speaker 8: Week on the Chisholms, The journey continues as they leave the security of the wagon train behind to strike out for the promised land called California.
Speaker 2: We're heading our own way to California.
Speaker 3: I think we should give it careful thought. Stay in with the wagon train and be safer.
Speaker 2: You'll be traveling through mostly uncharted territory.
Speaker 4: I'm afraid it will might happen.
Speaker 8: Who will survive the last great American adventure? The Chisholms, starring Robert Preston and Rosemary Harris, Saturday Night of eight, seven Central Lown, CBS Television. Think Robert Preston and Rosemary Harris, Saturday Night of eight.
Speaker 9: You can sing smoke gets in your eyes, but when it gets into everyone else's eyes and nose and throat, it's no musical matters. Your Lung Association says cigarettes are a personal health hazard and secondhand smoke is offensive to all non smokers.
Speaker 2: Give us all a break. Let the Lung Association help you kick the habit for your sake and for everyone's life and breath. We look at the faces as some of these high powered young performers, athletes, dancers, prodigies of one sort or another, the strained and nerve wrecked faces, and we say they're hardly more than children. Why are they being thrown into the snake pit of money and notoriety so early? Why? Quite simply because so many of us are willing to pay and to cheer them. Yes, our heroes are getting younger and older before their time. Our cast included Paul hect Joan Shay, Ray Owens, and Bronna Raeburn. The entire production was under the direction of Hyman Brown, missus E. G. Marshall, inviting you to return to our Mystery Theater for another adventure in the macabre until next.
Speaker 8: Stories of love and sacrificing as World War Two brings growth and change to a man.