Speaker 1: Is in his heaven and everything is wonderful. Good morning, Linnette.
Speaker 2: Oh they tell.
Speaker 3: Me all the land paved in gold, where the mansions are not built by men, in the land just beyond the shore, all the land and the sweet bye and bye, in the sweet bye and bye. We shall meet on the big deeper shore in the sweet bye and bye. I we shall meet on that yes teeth or hire a man.
Speaker 4: I love my boys.
Speaker 1: Oh you're fine, amen. Indeed the street, by and by will the circle be unbroken? Bye and bye Lord, bye, bye, bye and bye.
Speaker 5: Well, we had a carnival game here yesterday. Carnival the world portrays me as blind?
Speaker 6: Have me?
Speaker 5: Jesus had me? I didn't get to go, and you know, like when they change their breath. The two strikes against said, oh, the curtain must be open. They said yeah.
Speaker 1: I said, well, if you're blind, how do you know that the curtains open? And how do you know that.
Speaker 5: They're That's what I said, help me, Jesus, I ain't blind. I didn't want to miss the circus, but somebody had the curtains that I was indisposed. I'm waiting to go.
Speaker 1: I just watched the More show, so you have to see a bunch of things that you really don't want to see because people think you are completely blind.
Speaker 5: Right, I catch the thieves. One lady broke my elvist fan out. He'sus forgiven for they know not what it is. It's all wasn't a Christian. It might have been something.
Speaker 7: Bad thing.
Speaker 1: Well, if you miss the carnival, don't don't feel that left out, because I don't know if you've ever met a carnie. The people people, the people that travel with carnivals, they're not actually the most savory sorts.
Speaker 5: I remember the little girl. This man ate the chickens head off, and I'm like, yep, oh, I think they caught it. The fair though not a carnival.
Speaker 1: Now, the carnival is where they have geeks that eat the heads off chickens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, carnival, the fair, I mean any warsaw.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well, there's nothing fair about biting the head off a live chicken.
Speaker 5: Then this colored manager, I saw the bear, and the bear had no tea, so the bear was coming in. I was a little kid. I remember those days. Now that's the subdid is called Fourth Street. All the mansions are back there in the swimming pool. Mister Tom Parker built that and Miss Samma Bee I was a little girl when they moved to town, and she played my wedding march for a second marriage, small world. Indeed, she played bear and she couldn't play it.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I didn't Miss Amabe. I asked far and she played it for me.
Speaker 1: I wish we had more time. I got a roll though, because I won't get I won't get to talk to Dick, and he's he's got a new phone. He wants to show off.
Speaker 8: Okay, I love you.
Speaker 1: In fact, let's go ahead and talk to Good morning.
Speaker 7: Dick, Good morning Garrett, Jeff.
Speaker 1: This phone sounds fantastic. When did you get a phone?
Speaker 7: Well, Spectrum came on Tuesday this week and they came early and they changed the uh, they changed my channels. They came Tuesday, and it's it's been pretty nice. Buddy.
Speaker 1: Well, that's awesome. Are you digging your new place?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Jerry, Jeff, I'm telling you. Every Friday they have what you call a happy hour. And I met a guy named Pants. He plays, uh, he plays lead guitar. But they've had some of these people bands like the old fifties, and then they had a tribute to the other day. It was pretty crowded. George Jones and Buck Owens. I've never heard anything like these guys came from. They were from Kentucky, Gary Jeff and they were doing like Kentucky Headhunters and Jerry Jeff. I'm telling you right now, the director down here is really nice. Your name is Heather and she was just up there dancing and sometimes they get up there and I got to get up there and we did the midnight special. How about that one?
Speaker 1: Oh that's fantastic. Listen. I want to visit with you more. But I'm glad you got a phone now.
Speaker 7: So and Dave called and he's coming over, God bless him. And I really enjoyed it. Jerry Jeff, it's fun.
Speaker 1: It was fun, all right, do me a favor. I don't want you to hang up. I wanted you to talk to Liam so I can get your phone number and say good night.
Speaker 2: Dick. Oh, okay, good night, Gary Jeff.
Speaker 1: Thank you, goodbye. All right. We'll we'll talk to Dick from Dayton sometime soon to find out how I can get in on the happy hour action at the Senior Home. Before we go any further, let's do it into the first official hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, June the twenty eighth, twenty twenty five, Gary Jeff Walker, Hey, your service.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 1: Look who it is? How odd that this guy would call at this particular time on a Saturday morning. It's a little bit out of the usual. But what do you should I answer it? Should I take the call?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Good morning, Dave.
Speaker 6: Hey Jeff, good morning. How we're doing? Happy down to you?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Happy?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: Don dawn?
Speaker 1: I have you seen the crack of dawn?
Speaker 6: It's happening we speak.
Speaker 1: Why are you looking?
Speaker 2: I like that? Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's also the Red's fiftieth celebration of the Big Red Machine this weekend. That's huge. Yes it is.
Speaker 6: Got my shirt on and everything.
Speaker 1: Fourth of July's coming up, Dave, Yeah, next, next Friday. What what did the Firecracker eat at the movies? Popcorn? Popcorn? Popcorn?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What kind of beverage do you drink on July fourth? Liberta Libert, Limbert liber T. Dave from Dayton gave me these jokes, so there, I'm not really responsible for them.
Speaker 2: I see, I tell you what.
Speaker 1: Let's bring back the seven hundred and seventy seven jokes that are in the joke book that you keep there in the joke layer of your your office. You're one, uh, four thirty eight, four thirty eight, four thirty eight, turn to four thirty eight four four thirty Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, ready, yeah right.
Speaker 9: The patient says, doctor, I think I need glasses, and the teller says, you certainly do.
Speaker 2: This is a bank.
Speaker 1: Two seventy nine.
Speaker 6: Two seventy two seventy nine. A guy goes into a psychiatrist. He says, doctor, I.
Speaker 9: Keep having these alternately recurring dreams, first on a TP, then I'm a wigwam, then I'm a.
Speaker 6: TP, then I'm a wigwam. It's driven me crazy. What's what's the matter with me?
Speaker 2: Doc?
Speaker 6: And the doc says, well, it says, it's very simple. You're two ten, number six, number six. That's here, number six.
Speaker 9: When people ask me if I exercise, I tell them I do crunches every day. Captain kruns Sunaman doz cruns, nes Les cruns.
Speaker 10: Jokes told by day from Harrison are not necessarily considered funny by the staff, management, or advertisers of seven hundred WLW or his parent company, iHeartMedia. If these attempts at humor have caused you to roll your eyes, made your stomach churn, or you have considered the entire exercise to be a colossal waste of time, we deeply apologize. Now back to our irregular programming.
Speaker 1: Make a quick note for those of you who have been the past, come to visit me on Mama Street in Newport the after the show show at Huddles, and I with some interpretation, I will tell you that this is my last Saturday at Huddles this month. So if you if you feel like coming out, it'd be it'd be an opportune time. I'd be grateful to see you. But this is my last Saturday at Huddles this month. Old Radio Rick, Good.
Speaker 11: Morning, Good morning. That's on an extreme with the last Saturday of this month.
Speaker 1: It is it is my last Saturday at the bar this month, ever, this month, this month.
Speaker 11: Okay, then it's.
Speaker 1: Kind of like the Gowen's Walker Farewell tour that my friend Chris Gohens and I have been on for the last year or so. Every time we play. And by the way, thanks to everybody who came out to Brookies and Ripley last Sunday for our farewell Tour performance, our final farewell Tour appearance of the month of June. So how are you receiving us, sir, if at all this morning?
Speaker 11: Confusedly? Actually you're coming in four by three.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's not good.
Speaker 11: It's mostly the radio and partly the weather. But oh boy, this is a nineteen forty eight John Mech Industries of Plymouth, Indiana.
Speaker 1: Never heard of a John Never heard of a John Mac Industries? And what tone did you say?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 11: Well, and you're about to find out why you've never heard of them? A mirror Tone Model four C seven.
Speaker 1: Ok.
Speaker 11: This radio is boasting four tubes, a surprisingly small number of components, and it's a little thing using nineteen twenties radio technology, and it looks like a small radio. It not only has a volume control end power switch, but also a tuning knob and a tuning dial. One day, I'm trying here, I'm trying. This thing reminds me a lot of the Month's televisions, the products brought to market by Madman Months. But that's a topic for another show. No, I remember trap on that one.
Speaker 1: I remember Months televisions actually because I knew someone who had a Month's and don't. I don't think that any words could do justice how wonderful that television was.
Speaker 11: We have to do a nightcap on that, because there's a lot of backstory. Anyhow, well, I'm quite sure this model existed only because of the price, which was thirteen ninety five and nineteen forty eight, so about one hundred and sixty or one hundred and eighty six bucks today, which was a deal for radio. Actually, I think John mixed plan may have been to capitalize in the post war buying blitz, but discovered that it certainly was not a unique idea, and from what I can tell, nineteen fifty two was the last year they made any radio or television. But hey, another shout out to our buddy Ron for providing a bunch of radio advertisements and articles to me. And then that document dump. I found this mechad from Radio and Television Retailing magazine. Okay, it begins. If she likes it, you're all set.
Speaker 1: If she likes it. No wait, if she likes it, you're all set, all set for what.
Speaker 7: Is this?
Speaker 1: Is this radio possibly gonna get you lucky, make you lucky in low?
Speaker 11: Remember Remember this is radio and television retailing, so this is aimed at dealers, not the consumer.
Speaker 1: Well still, well if she still, if she likes it, you're all set. What if she doesn't like it? Do they even go into that territory?
Speaker 11: That made me think of response, But I don't think we can do that. After six o'clock, yees, dealers told us it is the woman that usually buys the second set, the extra radio for the bedroom or kitchen, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the guys are in charge of buying the primary set. Let the little lady pick out an extra one.
Speaker 11: It's like my it's like my wife, Maurice said, I'm just a woman. I don't even know how I got here. Dealers told us that I appeal is the great selling point, the one that closes these women buyers.
Speaker 1: Oh and what is the I appeal of this unit that you're describing, Rick.
Speaker 11: Not a damn thing that I could find the price tag. Perhaps radios introduced startling new cabibinets created by America's foremost designers. Yeah, that's a lie. Everyone will help you get a bigger share of this pent up market.
Speaker 2: Pent up.
Speaker 11: It's a lot of innuendo, an incredible amount.
Speaker 1: If she likes it, you're all set, especially if she's pent up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the line that dealer is designed, I mean, like, hurry up and buy a make radio. We're about to go out of business.
Speaker 1: So how long did John Mex stay in business?
Speaker 11: As far as I can tell, he came out with the ideas, started marketing in forty four for the post war market, and he sold radios and televisions from forty six to fifty two. Okay, that's that's the most I can find on him. But I can't find any ride up or history or more specific location or anything about him.
Speaker 1: So okay, So where was he based?
Speaker 12: Then?
Speaker 1: You don't know Plymouth, Indiana, Plymouth Indiana. Does Plymouth Indiana even exist today? That'd be the question. And where is it?
Speaker 11: Depends on your definition? Yes, yes, it is still down. He didn't take the whole neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I want to know how far If it's like a day trip, maybe christ to two point oh and I can go to Plymouth, Indiana and uh and go through the John Mech Radio Museum or see the giant statue of John Meck that's erected in the town square. Perhaps, or.
Speaker 11: He's giving this radio a lot of credits.
Speaker 1: Well, apparently so were they.
Speaker 11: And it didn't work.
Speaker 1: If she likes it, you're all sad. How about hobbabbo. This radio is paving the way for you to have a little bit of h of good times with the lady.
Speaker 11: And it may even be able to pick up a station to provide some nice music in the background.
Speaker 2: Or it maybe not.
Speaker 1: Turn it on and turn her on, baby. All right. If you like to know more about this that we can't say on the air, Old Radio ricketgmail dot com, please feel free to get in touch with mister Washburn. It's six point twenty one at seven hundred WUK Saloon. How now, Brown County, and welcome to the gang who's hanging out at a bar where there is a Queen of Hearts drawing that could very well be worth over a million dollars next Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Good morning, gang, Good morning.
Speaker 1: So this this saga continues now there on Main Street in Ripley. We're knowing, are there what five cards left? Yep, that's right, five cards left.
Speaker 2: In a deck.
Speaker 1: The Queen of Hearts has not been turned over yet. It is among those five cards. If it's not among those five cards, there's gonna be big trouble for Darren and the people conducting the drawing. But it is among those cards and someone very soon is going to win. And I don't think this is conjecture at all. Well over a million dollars, am I right? On all counts here?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, nifteen thousand last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last week. They've had to in the last few weeks get a bigger and bigger tumbler to hold all of the tickets because so many are being sold. I mean, the thing is going to look like a centrifuge at a power plant by the time that they have a winner.
Speaker 11: It's amazing, the whole events here in town. It's just it's just been good for everybody.
Speaker 1: You got, Ripley, what's about eighteen hundred people living? Ripley, Doug? Is that a fair estimate?
Speaker 11: Sure on any given day, sure, all right, But.
Speaker 1: On Wednesday nights the last too much or so, that has grown to a throng of maybe twenty thousand or thirty thousand people. And I'm not I am not exaggerating. All of Main Street is shut down. The people are putting up ten by ten tenths. There are food trucks, there are live bands. There are loudspeakers out on the street where they're doing the drawing for the Queen of Hearts, and it is just something to behold. You know, we probably should stop talking about it so we've got a better chance to win.
Speaker 2: You're right, you're right there, but sure, you know, sure appreciate all the promotion that we're getting here on WLW.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it just I mean we've been talking about Brookies and before that, Snappers and Ripley ever since my wife and I were invited out by you and Angie Dug and we came to fall in love with this little town on the banks of the Ohio River in Brown County, and uh, the Queen of Hearts was just kind of a byproduct of that because it started going and it started growing and growing and growing every week, and now it's this monster. What's the sharing green hornet? What does what does the beaver think?
Speaker 2: Well, the beaver is confused with all these people in town.
Speaker 6: They're parking everywhere.
Speaker 2: The whole town was like it's sold out, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Well, we'll and the.
Speaker 2: Weapon's supposed to be hopefully good this week, maybe not quite as hot, you know, but those pop up sours can happen anytime.
Speaker 1: So we'll see Oh yeah, oh yeah, well you can count on seeing me tomorrow my tickets.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, does.
Speaker 1: Do you have anything going on at the band tonight?
Speaker 2: Darren?
Speaker 6: No bands, No bands tonight?
Speaker 1: All right? And I tell you what, if there's not a winter next Wednesday, I'm gonna talk Going's into coercing you into having us out again as a farewell tour continues if there's no winner. If there's no winner in Ripley at Brookies this Wednesday night, count on the Going's Walker Farewell Tour to make its like fourth stop in two months next the following Sunday, on July the sixth, guys, have a great morning and try and keep things together.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Thanks, bye bye the gang in Ripley at Brookies where you have the zero nineteenth few clouds out there used Garry Jeff with you on seven hundred WLW on this last Saturday in June, and yes after the show show party is coming to an end after today. This is my last Saturday at Huddles in Newport this month. Here is Steve from Edna with his weekly visit. Steve, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 13: Good morning, Gary, Jeff, let me correct myself on last week's biography Commander Pete Booker, he did get the Pow Medal in nineteen eighty nine when it was presented by our government, twenty years late to Pete and his crew on the Pueblo. Pete died in twenty oh four. I want to take it back now to September second, nineteen forty five. Aboard the USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay. Douglas MacArthur represented the Allies at the Japanese surrender ceremonies. He brought six pens to the signing, three for the Allies, three for the Japanese. MacArthur got halfway through signing his name to the document when he stopped. He motioned another general forward and handed him the first pen. The man was Jonathan Wainwright, fourth, the highest ranking American prisoner of war in World War Two. In August, Wainwright had been liberated from a Japanese prison camp in Manchuria. It ended thirty eight months of confinement for the survivors of the Japanese takeover of the Philippine Islands, which had commenced on Pearl Harbor Day, when the Japanese also attacked clark Field in the Philippines. Five months after Pearl. President Roosevelt ordered MacArthur to leave Manila and escape to Australia. He did so reluctantly, leaving Wainwright in charge. The only thing that would have saved the Americans and the Filipinos was copious supplies of food and weapons. They got neither, but MacArthur forbid surrender until FDR opened the door to that possibility. The Japanese then corralled the eighty thousand Allies who were left on Baton and corrigador A hospital was bombed and Wainwright was hit with a shell that permanently injured his hearing. On May the seventh, nineteen forty two, Wainwright surrendered, and the Baton Death March of the survivors began. Sixty six days on foot. That meant the POWs would have to drink water out of ditches full of dead bodies just to avoid dehydration and their own deaths. The six foot two inch Wainwright was down to one hundred and thirty pounds when the march started. Wainwright reported in his diary that they would try to separate bugs from their rations when it ended they were seeking the bugs to enhance the few meals that they got.
Speaker 2: Before it was all over.
Speaker 13: In nineteen forty five, these men and women were transported to multiple Japanese fortresses in Taiwan, captured fifty years earlier from the japan excuse me from the Chinese and other outposts, starting in the heat and humidity of the Pacific and ending in minus forty five degree cold of Manchuria. On February the second, nineteen forty five, Wainwright glumly noted in his diary the groundhog saw his shadow six more weeks of winter. Wainwright always feared the surrender, vehemently opposed by MacArthur, would result in disciplinary action if he actually lived.
Speaker 2: Through the war.
Speaker 13: Cut off from communicating with anybody but his wife, whose letters to him never arrived thanks to his captors, he remained painfully ignorant, along with the other prisoners, of such events as the attempt to award him the Medal of Honor for holding out as long as he did. MacArthur stopped it. There was a May nineteen forty four Time magazine cover with his image behind barb wire. Time commented that the Japanese now held thirteen thousand POWs that included thirty five generals, headed by what Time called the man left behind to preside at his country's worst military fiasco.
Speaker 2: Awaiting death or liberation.
Speaker 13: The Japanese scotted at the Geneva Convention trying to force officers to work alongside on listed men, which is designed to thwart the chain of command.
Speaker 2: When the execution of his.
Speaker 13: Men was threatened, Wainwright sought a compromise. The officers would work small farms and gardens, which supplied food for everybody. In one notable episode, an aid commandeer a duck named Donald, of course, as a pet. The Japanese commandant awarded the officers with a banquet featuring a speech on the evils of the United States and also a delicious bird. It was Donald, the host made sure the prisoners knew that Japanese version of irony. When freed, Wainwright found out that his commander in chief, Franklin Roosevelt, was dead. He found out that we now had the atomic bomb, that we employed jetplanes, and that his beloved pow wife Adele, was hopelessly addicted to alcohol and sedatives.
Speaker 6: She wound up.
Speaker 13: At a facility in Colorado Springs. It would be separated for most of the final eight years of Wainwright's life. MacArthur got in command of the fourth Army in San Antonio. He got a fourth star, and he did get his Medal of Honor. He retired from the Army. He wrote a book, but Hollywood thought a movie about a surrender just wouldn't fly, so he supplemented his income with commercial endorsements. On the anniversary of the Japanese surrender ceremonies, Jonathan Wainwright died September the second, nineteen fifty three, with just his son by his side, at Brook Army Medical Center.
Speaker 6: In San Antonio.
Speaker 13: Adele remained in Colorado Springs. Doctor MacArthur probably said it best remember this on July the fourth. Old soldiers never died, They just fade away.
Speaker 1: Thanks Scary, Jeff, Thank you, Steve Ray and Lovelin. Good morning, my brother, How are you?
Speaker 2: Good morning Gary, Jeff Walker, Good morning, Sarry? Hey, how are we looking on time? Brother?
Speaker 1: I got maybe a couple of minutes. What's up? What's on your mind?
Speaker 2: The fantastic rest of the story again by Steve. Thank you, and I must relay the best I can. If we had the good fortune years ago we were down in Destined at the beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the.
Speaker 2: Crazy, the crazy fools we were. We decided to drive the mobile Alabama to see the USS Alabama. Was my son, the Patriot, Jacob. This was in twenty fourteen, want to go there. It was a great thing to do. The little old man we know was pulled up out in the parking lot. We got there early and he got out a little two wheeler.
Speaker 6: And he came in to the.
Speaker 2: Souvenir there in the entrance actually to this museum, and there was people scurrying about, and this fellow sat up the table and he had books there, and I had him looked over there, and I walked over us talked to him. This man Colonel Glenn Frasier, a survivor of the the Time Death March. This man was amazing, was amazing, and no one's talking to him as I couldn't believe it, and I'm sure people did later. But we had the good fortune of having his company for a number of minutes, and he was very, very gracious in time, and he told us the story of calling home whenever he got to San Francisco. During the prisoner release, and he called home and his mother answered the phone and he said hello to her, and she passed out, hit the floor because they thought he was dead.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: His sister gets on the phone, same thing happens. His father comes in. He did not pass out, that they thought him to be dead. And I'll just say this that we purchased his book, and he was so gracious. He wrote this note in here, which I'm going to read if I may go ahead. It's short, he says to Jacob, this book will help you overcome any challenge. May God's blessings come to you and yours. Colonel Glenn Fraser retired February twenty fourteen. He has since passed. But we had the great fortune spending time with a true American hero.
Speaker 6: So God bless you, brother, God.
Speaker 1: Bless thank you, sir for sharing that with us. And that's why these stories of these past heroes need to be told over and over again, so that not only we, but also the next generations will understand what sacrifice really is and what perseverance is. Liam Producer Extraordinaire, says, every day I pray for adversity, Well, I pray you get what you're praying for. Liam six fifty seven, Newport, Kentucky. It'll be a blast bb riverwom the river is waiting. Oh I got WLW news twenty four hours a day. He was a radio seven hundred WLW into another hour of the Saturday morning edition for this Saturday, June twenty eight, twenty twenty five. Big celebration this weekend for the Reds, the fiftieth anniversary celebration of the Big Red Machine nineteen seventy five to twenty twenty Downe. That's a celebration I can get behind. By the way. Big ups to the Supreme Court yesterday for their ruling on parents being able to opt their children out of seeing smut that they disagree with in public schools. Big big decision and the right one.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Steve Schulty, environmental engineer is here, and this morning, we're not going to talk about the the recuperation of the Arctic ice caps. We're not going to talk about the Great Barrier Reef. We're not going to talk about the evils of evs. We're going to talk about vacation with the family in the Great Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. Good morning, mister Shulty. I am so jealous and I know that's wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, Good morning Gary, Jeff. Yeah, we're having my wife's family vacation. We usually go to the beach, but this year we decided a little closer to home and we were now up as I say, we're up, and then there hills outside of Gatlinburg.
Speaker 1: You know that, John Denver, John Denver, and take me home Country Roads Road almost Heaven, West Virginia. I think when you're in the smoky Mountains of Tennessee, you're just a little bit even closer to paradise there, because it is absolutely stunningly beautiful, is it not?
Speaker 2: It is, And this is what I want to talk about.
Speaker 4: You know, the mountains of East Tennessee and western North Carolina are blanket by a smoky haze, which kind of gives the area of mystical and mysterious look. In fact, the Cherokee Indians considered there and the area a sacred place, and they made Shakunjia if I get that right, meaning land of blue smokes. So even before mankind got here, was already famous. And this famous so called fog is actually produced by native vegetation. We always we talked about many times plants, green plants take in carbon dioxide release oxygen, thank god. However, plants also emit other chemicals besides oxygen, and many of these are called volatile organic compounds v ocs, which man also releases in our cars, trucks, painting operations, so on and so forth. So actually, so what happens is when these chemicals, these VOCs, and the right environment with humidity and the sunlight and heat and whatnot, Well, the Financial Park Service like to call it fog. Well, really it's naturalmall.
Speaker 2: S m o G.
Speaker 4: So now obviously it's not in an area that's olstrations you know, that are dangerous for man or have any health effects. But that's in fact what it is. It's natural smog. And some will say, well it also has sometimes it has the blue color to it. Yeah, and what this is that the chemicals, the theoc's helped scatter blue light. So that's what kind of gives it. In fact, that's why the Cherokee is called the land of blue smoke. So next time you come into the Smoky mountains, you're you're breathing natural smog. And the research has been done and what I'm actually looking at it says that eighty percent of the smog or fog is the Park Service like to call it is from nature here in the park and in the area park twenty percent per man.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 4: But in areas like Cincinnati, believe it or not, it's the opposite. About twenty to thirty percent of the smog in Cincinnati is caused by vegetation, as the rest by man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: And there's an actual different smell when you're in the Smoky mountains. I mean, all your senses change with this environment, this natural environment. It is so beautiful. And I am so again envious of you. I know it's not right to covet what your neighbor has, but I can't help. But how long is the line for Hillbilly Golf?
Speaker 4: We were at Hillbilly Golf yesterday. We got we thought we'd get there early, at like ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: The line was so long, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: We did not get done until twelve thirty.
Speaker 2: Believe it or not.
Speaker 4: But at twelve thirty, well, there was hardly any line.
Speaker 2: Head down down here.
Speaker 4: Try try Hillbilly Golf in about twelve twelve noons on a hot day and you'll probably have no weight.
Speaker 1: That's that's fantastic. We'll enjoy the rest of your trip. Steve Shulty in Gatlinburg in the Great Smoking Mountain is one of my favorite family trips I took with my parents and my brothers. Occurred back in two thousand when we went to Gavinburg. We rented. The family rented a huge shellet at the top of Wiley Oakley Mountain Road, overlooking the Smoky Mountain National Forest, and it's burned in my memory and man Heaven on Earth seven thirteen says for your next Dave Hatter segment, I'm getting random personal texts like this, where are you? How have you been? Trying to get a hold of you. I've got other examples, but it's a new take on random text trying to get you to respond and say who is this? And guess it goes from there knowing they've got a real person. I said, you haven't answered them, right? He said no. I get three or four of these weird ones a day. I said, the best advice is to ignore them. That's what Dave would say, Am I right? Should you just ignore these texts?
Speaker 12: You know me?
Speaker 7: All? Two?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: Gary jeffs, Yeah, I get a bunch of oath myself, and yeah, the angle here is to just get you to respond to the day. I've got a live person. And folks have to realize most of this is coming from professional con artists. They're just using the Internet to get to you, and if you respond, then they'll try to strike up a conversation and then they'll go wherever they think they can go to get some to pull or a conversation and to get to your money somehow. It might be oh, hey, you know, I'm invested in crypto and it made a lot of money or whatever. I mean. Again, these folks are professional con artists, and I want to remind folks because I get where if you're not a technical person, you might go, well, how did they get my phone number? Understand that it's really easy to write a program that can generate every US phone number because they follow a known pattern. Right, So I can write a program that will just loop through three digits, three digits, four digits and send out texts and or Gary Jeff. As you know, because we talk about it all the time, there's these giant data leaks. Unfortunately, all of our information is out there, so it's really easy for the bad guys and cost next to nothing to just send out texts and see what happens.
Speaker 6: And you're exactly right.
Speaker 2: You should ignore it. And I will tell you occasionally, if I'm feeling a little spicy, I'll respond with something like, well, I'm at the FBI Scam Center, can you send me your address or something like that. But I would advise most of the time I don't get any response. If I do that. Every once in a while they'll be feeling a little spicy and it will lead to some back and forth before I eventually just reported junk and block it. But my advice for most people is do not respond, because as soon as you do, you're just telling them that you're a live person and there's no telling what sort of scam they might try to foice them. So that is the right advice. Ignore it, just hit you know, report junk, block whatever it's called on your particular.
Speaker 1: Now, if you if you delete the message, do they know that you're a live person. Can they tell that you've deleted the message?
Speaker 2: They should not be able to tell from that, just yet, don't interact with it.
Speaker 11: Delete it, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Would suggest again, just port junk or block it or whatever it's called on your phone, so you don't get any more messages from that number, but understand, you're still going to get them from other numbers because the numbers they're calling are texting you from, are just spoof numbers, right, They're just making those up to in most cases. And that's one of the ways they cover their tracks and fool you is because you know, you might get a text that looks like it came from the five to one to three area code, even though they are somewhere else.
Speaker 1: All right, Dave Hatter, thank you so much as well for the good advice, and I was just reaffirming what I knew you would say because I know you so well. Time now for the Tom Davis Diaries, diary and from those diaries, not from Tom Davis, who is on vacation with his family. This week. We have a theme running here and I'll preface this with the headline why are people who are naked in public never the people you want to see naked in public? Dateline? Philadelphia. Amy Burnham thirty nine, Pendleton Square arrested in charge with motor vehicle theft after police reportedly found the woman in the seat of a stolen car naked in the driver's seat. Deputies patrolling the extreme southern portion of Nashoba County on Highway twenty one, where they made contact with the stolen suv, initiated a traffic stop. Officers dumbfounded when they approached the stolen vehicle to find the driver was completely naked, partially covered by a blanket. It goes on. A southern Iowa woman facing charges after authority say she took her clothes off stolen American flags and set them on fire this month. Of course she did. Brianna Laired, aged twenty one, facing charges after Coller said she burned stolen American flags. While burning them is fort under the First Amendment. Laird was charged with third degree arson, assault on an officer in decent exposure, interference with official acts, fifth degree criminal mischief and I'm just guessing she also had purple hair. Madisonville, Kentucky, the police department there say they arrested a man who assaulted an officer and tried to grab their gun and taser. Police officers dispatched in response to a possible domestic situation last Friday night. When they arrived, they found a naked man, Robert Grigsby shoving two other men to get past them into an apartment. And in North Texas, someone called the Dallas Regional Medical Center and Mesquite. Someone from the Dallas Regional Medical Center and Mesquite called police to report a stolen ambulance. The caller said that a man who'd been taken into the hospital got into one of the ambulances and drove away. He was not wearing any clothes, because I mean, number one, if you steal an ambulance, you're not exactly incognito anywhere you go. You might as well be naked too. Until you had another hour of this Saturday Morning edition for Saturday, June twenty eighth, twenty twenty five, I'm Gary Jeff Walker. Aren't you glad you're not? Eight minutes after the hour? By the way, programming note, just real quickly, for those of you who have over the years come to visit me at Huddles Cafe, I wanted to again mention that this is my last after the show show Saturday at Huddles as a bartender this month. Time now for a science minute and our buddy Science Mike standing by or for sitting by. I'm not sure it's a posture position.
Speaker 13: At this month as a nice scientist, surprising blinding.
Speaker 1: Me, Michael, are you standing by or sitting by right now?
Speaker 2: I'm in a sitting position.
Speaker 1: Gary, Jeff, Okay, but you're not. You're not You're not prone, You're not lying down, are you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: But the topic is related to that.
Speaker 12: That's that's just that's curious.
Speaker 1: Let me let me uncanny.
Speaker 12: That's let me ask you. Are you next month? Are you're going to be working on Saturdays? Or this is just making a this this month You're no, I'm just I'm.
Speaker 1: Making the announcement that this is my last Saturday at Huddles for the after the show show after this show bartending this month, this month, this month, June.
Speaker 6: So we're going to take it back up in July on Saturday.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean you never know, okay, Now, I mean do any of us really know what the future holds in store? Michael?
Speaker 6: They might know a time of this, I don't think so now we know exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, I might have every intention of being there next month, but you never know, the future is uncertain.
Speaker 6: I have homework for you this week.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jim Morrison, As you know, Jim Morrison famously wrote the future is uncertain and the end is always near. But anyway, go ahead, what's.
Speaker 12: There, Frankie, You and Tession.
Speaker 6: Frankie have homework.
Speaker 12: Okay, So this was probabished in the journal Current Biology. And as you and I some of the current facts we know about cats, they like to sleep a lot, like twelve to sixteen hours a day, right, yeah, I guess that's and they like to sleep in elevated locations high purchase for survival incetraints to the predator come up from underneath, they can see their field of vision catch them on.
Speaker 6: You know, don't want to be caught off guard any o. That this is your homework.
Speaker 12: You've got to observe frankness league to see if what side that he prefers to sleep on his left side or his right side. And the reason is because this study says that cats tend to sleep more on their left side because their left field of view when they wake up is goes into the right hemisphere of the brain and that's the side of the brain that has spatial awareness and make awareness of threats. So when they wake up, they can perceive a threat more quickly and react more quickly than if they slept on their right side. So you see what we got to do here, So you got to gotta get a notepad. Frankie sleeping on the left side you for extended period of time, not just you know, left side for a few seconds and get up on it, but just just.
Speaker 6: Still you know it.
Speaker 1: Christ the two point zero is just texting me and she says, at this moment it is his left side. So this is hot, this is playing to form. But I have seen him sleep on his right side before.
Speaker 12: Well I'm not saying they don't sleep on our eight sid I'm saying if they prefer to sleep on her left side for the most.
Speaker 1: Part, just you know, well, I'm just she's saying that it is his left side at this moment as we speak. So I so you want me to you want me to chart this like over time to see if we've got an average or if it's majority left or a majority right.
Speaker 12: Just majority, yeah, you know, just uh you know, like eight appearances of Frankie random today saw him sleep on his left side seven out of.
Speaker 1: Eight or whatever like that. I don't know, just you know, but just like that, just one note about Frankie. Yes, and I don't know if this is actually appropriate or not, but okay, this cat goes to the bathroom more than any cat I've ever had in my life. I may spend more money on on cat pellets for the box than I will on food. And he eats constantly because he's a he's a growing boy.
Speaker 2: Well you take care of him.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean usually a cat's litter box, you know, you want to clean it every day, but not like three times a day. It's it's getting nuts.
Speaker 12: I hope he's That's funny because you know when you get a new new member of the family, they they how they behaved differently from the old member might do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my new dog.
Speaker 12: Max, he would I went through fifteen remote controls and Amazon kept sending me a recurring notice by hey, do you want to buy another remote control?
Speaker 7: You do?
Speaker 2: If it was like constantly, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, Michael, have a good day, and I hope, uh, I hope you're okay. In your seated position, do you do you do you sit on the left side or on the right side.
Speaker 8: On the right side, actually my back at left. I've heard, Okay, you got it. Have a great weekend. Seven of good morning kids time for gives from Walie what's in a name? Woman goes to the Family Services office to file for child benefits. The social worker asks how many children? The woman replies, ten, said ten? What are their names? And she starts rattling them off. Well there's Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne, Wayne and Wayne. The social worker says, doesn't that get confusing?
Speaker 7: Not?
Speaker 1: It's great if they're all playing in the street. I just have to shout Wayne, your dinner's ready, or Wayne, go to bed now, and they all do it. What if you want to speak to one child individually, Oh, that's easy. I just used their last names. When you write each tweet and reade time, we get a little bit more in depth with our sports department, or, as Peter Bronson used to say about The Inquirer's sports, the toy department, where they play the games and they report on the people that play the games. And sometimes we talk about something that's entirely not sports related. Hey, Mowing, welcome back from vacation. How was it was it great?
Speaker 2: It was awesome? It was awesome. I'm sorry I missed you last Saturday.
Speaker 1: That's you know what. Austin Elmore filled in admirably. He stepped up like a champ. He just happened to be awake making his ice coffee, which I just can't understand it all.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that's something that I cannot relate to.
Speaker 1: You know me either, And and he said that he had just finished his morning workout. So we we went through the tale of Austin's regimen. And I was surprised, just like I was surprised when I found out that David Keaton was an avid tennis player.
Speaker 2: You learned something new every day at our place, don't.
Speaker 1: You, Yes, you do. There's surprises, surprises around every corner. I want to start tonight and you and I talked about it when he passed. But tonight at Mount Saint Joe, they're having this special uh celebration of Jim Scott's life and it's a benefit for als, which of course took Jim's life, and just another chance to honor somebody who was the most amazing. And Donna was great in their interview with Scott Sloan yesterday. If you come, make sure you stand up and shake somebody's hand and says hello, I'm so and so what's your name?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Because That's exactly what Jim would do, and he did that for as long as I knew him, as long as he was in the public eye. Just any any last little flash remembrances of the late Jim Scott that you'd like to share, since today is the day that people will be gathering to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, tonight's going to be fun, and I think that's key. You know, Donna from the get go has said she doesn't want you know what Jim passed. There was there was no funeral. You know, there was no you know, for for the public. There was no you know, sort of modeling. Hey, we're going to stand around and more Jim. Donna wanted something that was a celebration, a true celebration, because Jim was not a funeral type guy. So this is going to be the exact opposite of it. It's going to be a lot of fun. There's going to be great stories told, and we're going to celebrate somebody who meant a lot to the city and was more than just a great broadcaster. And we're going to raise a lot of money for UC's AOS Endowment, which is really really important. But you know, you talked about something my first, the first time I ever met Jim. You know, I was working at the radio station and it was part time, you know, working on the weekend, that sort of thing, and Jim had just come back after he had left for a while, and you know, he needed a producer. So they they, somebody in their infinite wisdom, decided, let's pair a guy who's been on the air for thirty years and is already a legend with a guy who has no experience. That makes a lot of sense. And so I go in to meet Jim for the first time, and I obviously knew who he was, but you know, it's like a game of twenty questions. What's your name, where are you from, what's your dad's name, where's he from, what does he do for a living, what's your mom's name, what's your mom's maiden name. And it hit me at that moment, and I was twenty years old at the time, that that's what made him so great. He could connect with anybody, he could relate to anybody, and he had a genuine curiosity about people. And so when you would go in public with Jim, whether it was a station event or you know, in recent years, he and I would go to a Reds game every year and we would hang out, and even though he wasn't on the air anymore, he would still walk around and ask people who they were, what their name was, where they were from. And it was always so cool because you know, back in the day, you know, he would ask people, Hey, you know, I'm on the air weekday mornings. I'm going on tomorrow morning on seven hundred WLW, do you mind giving me a listen? And then once he stopped being on the air and we would go, you know, do stuff, he would say, well, this is my friend Moegar ESPN fifteen thirty three to six, would you mind giving him a listen? That's just what he did. He was a great guy and awesome brought and I'm excited, uh to get a chance to talk about him tonight.
Speaker 1: And he had of this persona of being a very nice guy, which he was. And that is why my distinct memory of Jim is what I've shared with you before, but I'll share again for the purposes of this conversation, was when we moved into our new studios from Mount Adams to Kinwood, and they had built a performance studio with a big glass window in front where live bands would play on WEBN or whatever on the power Pig whatever it was called.
Speaker 2: And H.
Speaker 1: And Jim was Jim was looking in the window out in the hallway and I saddled up next to him as we're all seeing the new studios and looking in the big glass window of this performance studio where bands would play. And I said, Jim, just this reminding you of your early days in radio in the thirties when they had live orchestras. And he just he looked at me and he smiled and he said, blank you. Jim Scott said blank you to no one, but he said it to me all day and and he did it with a smile on his face. And I just walked away. I'm going, that's all I need, I mean, And that's that's the That's the image I'll always carry, is that Jim Scott said blank you to me. I must have done something special.
Speaker 2: Well, I can tell you that I made him say blank you to me a number of times, but it wasn't because I was joking with it because I screwed something up. But you know, Jim had an awesome sense of humor. Yes, right, uh. And And as kind of a quirky sense of humor, but had an awesome sense of humor. And you know, I was I think about this sometimes. Uh, you know, we have really fun jobs and we get a chance to do what we love. The great thing about Jim was man, nobody as as much as he loved being Jim Scott. Nobody enjoyed the the ins and outs of being on the radio. Nobody enjoyed doing their job more than Jim Scott. There are people in our business who enjoy being well known or being in the public, and Jim enjoyed that without question. But he enjoyed the mechanics of doing a daily radio show from five till nine, and that was infectious. And you know, to me as a young kid, it was like, holy craft, this guy's having a blast. This is fun. This is what I want to do. And so I think about that often because there are times where it's like, holy craft, this is a little bit of a grind. There's not a lot to talk about. I don't have my a game today, and it's like, all right, you know, pick it up here, you're not digging ditches. And Jim Man, it was contagious. You know, I'd come in in the morning, and you know me, man, I'm the world's biggest morning person, and I'd be dragging it before thirty in the morning. And by the time we went on the air, I had energy just because Jim. You couldn't help but grab some energy from Jim because he just he brought it every day. And it was as a as a guy who was, you know, really impressionable and wanted a career doing this. It had an everlasting impact on.
Speaker 1: Me very good. Well, you know, talk about enjoying what they're doing. Uh, this version of the Cincinnati red seems to be enjoying what they're doing, and last night was another great example of that. Lately, it's just it's it's almost like there's a different team on the field the last couple of weeks or so.
Speaker 2: Mo Have you felt that too, Yeah, I think without question really since that that that UHA series against the Diamondbacks. You know, the player's only meeting, and you hear about players only meetings all the time in all of sports, but I think this one is reflective of something the Reds made a concerted effort to do this offseason. And I think Nick Crawl, for all of the criticism he has taken and at times deserved for how he has gone about doing his job. You know, if you go back to what they did this offseason, they acquired Gavin Lux and Jose Trevino and Austin Hayes and Brady Singer and Tanner Rodgers and Taylor Rodgers, and those have all been good acquisitions. You know, Austin Hayes hasn't been healthy that much, but when he has been healthy, he's been very good. And each of those players statistically has contributed. But the thing to me that mattered as much as anything was all of those guys came from teams that won. Gavin Lux was on the World champion Dodgers last season, Jose Travigni was on the American League champion Yankees. Austin Hayes last year played for two playoff teams. Brady Singer played for a playoff team. And so when the player's only meeting was called, who called it? Davin Lux, Jose Travino, guys who had been there before. And I think often last season when the Reds were struggling, we wondered, you know, who's the leader? Who are the guys that are sort of rallying the troops, who are the guys setting an example. They don't have anybody who's won before. I think the fact that they prioritized getting players from teams. You know, first they had to fit positionally and you needed players who had a certain skill set. But getting players from teams that had had success, I think was a big deal. It was something they prioritized, and so when you heard about the team meeting, my first thought was, there's the payoff from getting players who had been in the postseason before. And I think if you've watched the team, John Sadak on TV mentioned this on that Saturday afternoon where they played the Diamondbacks, that you know, you looked in the dugout and you saw everybody was on the top step. You saw players after they would score a run and they would say something to the guy that was getting ready to hit, maybe telling him something that he had seen from the pitcher, that sort of thing. There has been an energy about this team that I don't really think was there over the first two months of the season. And if you add to it some of their assets. The starting pitching has been good all season long. Matt McClain has started to hit more, which he didn't hit it all in the first two months. Ellie de la Cruz is the most productive shortstop in baseball. It's still sometimes in adventure when he throws the ball to first base, but he is. Over the last month he has been awesome. They're a little bit healthier now, and I don't think it's that far fest to suggest that in two months and late August, we'll be talking about a team that has a chance to play in September. And if that's the case, I think that player's only meeting is going to be looked at as the turning point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just a little microcosm of that. Of course, last night it was a special night for Nick Martinez. You don't get within a you know, a couple of outs of a no hitter in the ninth inning when you were a starting pitcher anymore in the major leagues. And he got there and then literally hit the wall as the ball did, you know, And and they scored the one run and got the double at the end of the game, and Spencer Steer just had one of those magical nights that he he may not have again all season. But three home runs and three at bats, I mean, come on, geez.
Speaker 2: You know. I was at the game last night with my daughter and as the Reds came to play it in the bottom of the ninth inning, San Diego didn't have a hit. Spencer Steer had three homers and was coming to the plate for his fourth at that and that was probably maybe her fifteenth game she had been to. And I'm sitting there going, this kid has no idea the team might see a guy hit four home runs and his teammates throw a no hitter in the same game. The four homers thing is actually, I think a little bit more rare than the no hitter. Obviously neither happened, but it was fun to watch. Nick Martinez has been a really nice pickup, and you're happy for him. If you remember the game last week when the Reds played in Saint Louis and had to do a bullpen day and Nick Martinez tells Terry francona, look, I'm available if you need me. Team first guy, and it feels like they have a bunch of guys who are also team first. I have had a chance to spend a little time with Spencer's year. That's a good good dude was rooting like hell for him. He had his fourth home run last night, But a three homer night's not all that bad, not.
Speaker 1: Bad at all. Just like Austin Elmore stepped up and was ready on Saturday morning last week while you were enjoying your vacation, team guy, well that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: I was going to be wally pipped. You know, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: So no, we're keeping you around as long as you'll do it. Thanks. I appreciate it, all right, Counselor, Well, you got to hit the mic there, you I know, all right? You know what's up? What an incredible week for Donald Trump, What an incredible unbeliever.
Speaker 14: The country exactly, And it was topped off the crown was yesterday with the decisions plural from the United States Supreme Court. You know, they basically just did away with these mandates where a district court can bine the whole country. And there were some cat fights going on too, Katanji down Brown, Jackson, Uh, Amy Coney, Barrett.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Uh. It really was a big week so many ways around for Trump, and you know it's showing up in his approval pulse too.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then and then there's the just just the almost afterthought after a record day on Wall Street after the Supreme Court decisions that oh yeah, there's there's the end of a war that Trump to goiated between Rwanda and the Congo right, and that was like the third biggest news story of the day. These people have been going at it for decadeses with machetes killing each other, and Trump got him to stop.
Speaker 14: What about NATO, I mean he drugged those guys along. Everybody said, oh, he's not gonna be able to do it. I think the agreement was, if I'm not mistaken, they all agreed except for Spain to take five percent of their TDP and devoted towards defense. What's on Saturday midday, Well, I'll tell you what a lot going to talk about the New York mayors race. Big win for socialism, uh, big win for Trump. As we were just talking about this week, we're going to talk about that. The Biden competency or lack of competency hearings began on Capitol Hill. One person testified it was in private. The second person is ignoring the requests, so they're going to subpoena him.
Speaker 2: Going to do that.
Speaker 1: Steve Gooden is going to walk us through it's going to take a while.
Speaker 14: Everything that happened yesterday in the United States Supreme Court, so looking forward to.
Speaker 1: That parents have control of their children's education again. How about that? That was huge? Yeah? Huge. This is my last Saturday at Huddles the after the show show free beer. No, it's my last Saturday at Huddles for the month, just for the month. Where are you going with this? Have a great day, Mike galled. Saturday Midday's next. It's officially time for Zia's annual summer sale. Take advantage and get fifteen percent off