Speaker 1: You're listening to bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI.
Speaker 2: AM six forty Bill Handle Here it is a Tuesday Morning Taco Tuesday, June seventeen, and again it's going to be hot, hot, hot supposed to be today a quick reminder that I'm going to be m seeing the La Lawyers phil Harmonic and Legal Voices performance on Saturday, June twenty eighth, eight o'clock at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. And the Lawyers Philharmonic is a group of judges, lawyers, paramedic paramedics, para legals who actually our world class musicians, wanted to make a living and so they got into their the legal profession.
Speaker 3: And it's going to be really a great show.
Speaker 2: So go to and tickets are on sale from twenty bucks to one hundred and twenty five and every seat is because it's music, you know. And so go to La Lawyers Filled and that's La Lawyers phil isn't Philharmonic dot org and get some more information and I am see it and I'm in a tuxedo. I'm picking up my tuxedo today. As a matter of fact, it's being uh being tailored.
Speaker 3: What no, not let out.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, come, they have to tailor it so it's actually smaller. All right, big changes are coming to Disney, big ones. And they we've got monsters. Uh is out the monster right right? Monstropolis is gone and hello to Pandora. Very boxlike structure they have.
Speaker 1: No no, no, it's Avatar. It's based on the Avatar movies.
Speaker 2: Ah. So you know how long do these last? Usually you don't see you We never saw rides disappearing and being rebuilt early days.
Speaker 3: You did.
Speaker 2: Now go into a little bit of history. So let me bring Amy's talking, So let me here. Okay, so, uh you guys looking forward to it, and it's and they're now big on on part on entire lands.
Speaker 3: New Lands is supposed to rise.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, you had the uh you know Star Wars what they call Star Wars Galaxy the Galaxy's Edge and about two.
Speaker 4: And you've been right, oh yeah we're going, we're going Friday.
Speaker 2: Well me, yeah, we go all the time. Yeah, I know you do, I know you do. So are you looking forward to this? I mean, is this is this something?
Speaker 4: I A?
Speaker 3: Is it more for kids? Is it more for the youngsters?
Speaker 4: Which one any of the new ones, the Pandora I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited, And maybe you're the same way, Amy, But I I don't have obviously as much attachment to California's edge in the way of change that I do with Disneyland proper.
Speaker 5: So I love California Adventure.
Speaker 1: They've done a great job really making it a destination location. But the you know, to me, it's when they change things at Disneyland, then I go oh.
Speaker 4: Because Disneyland is so classic and the stuff that was here like again on opening day fifty five years ago or seventy actually seventy years ago. I don't know where I got fifty five, but because they opened in fifty five, Oh, that's what it is. But I mean, like those are still fun to me. I still enjoy Pirates at the Caribbean. I still enjoy It's a small world. I still like going on the Storybook Canal and you can't pay me to go on the Teacups, but like, I love those rides still attraction.
Speaker 3: Pirates came in.
Speaker 2: Pirates was the first big ride that we know as modern rides, and that is hugely expensive to build all immersive.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and when you think about rides like the Haunted Mansion. That was a big deal and very important to Walt Disney. He never saw right now, you never know. The facade stood there for a long yeah years, yeah, years.
Speaker 3: Because they were busy. Well, what happened was they were looking at.
Speaker 2: It, and then then the World's Fair came out where they spent all their money in nineteen sixty four, and then of course Disney.
Speaker 5: World came out, started Disney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it doll got lost in the shuffle and the Avatar ride, I know, and I'm reading this what you travel aboard a boat through a bioluminescent lagoon and you encounter this massive whale like creature That's how they're describing it, called a toolcun that comes up from the ocean and then I think eats some of the riders.
Speaker 3: Cool, I'm not great. Yeah, doesn't that sound like fun?
Speaker 5: And once the screaming stops.
Speaker 1: No, Well, they already have a version of this ride or an Avatar ride it their location in Florida.
Speaker 5: I believe, don't they it?
Speaker 3: You got me, You got me.
Speaker 5: I've never been to to Disney World. Strangely enough, I have.
Speaker 3: It's kind of neat.
Speaker 2: I would love to go. I just it's just a much bigger Disneyland. The castle is massive and it's just spread out. It's not crammed the way Disneyland is relative to other parks.
Speaker 4: So that's what I love about Disneyland. I love that it's crammed together and there's nooks and crannies and yeah, they take it's much more intimate funto me and.
Speaker 3: Used every bit of space.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like a sailing boat of theme parks.
Speaker 3: Everything is very well organized.
Speaker 5: Well, they're all having that.
Speaker 1: As a matter of fact, they Florida parks have a different setup because they went into it with that. But like Universal Studios, here is landlocked. There's nothing they can do. There's they're looking at having to grow that and Disneyland here is similar. But out there in Florida they still they have.
Speaker 2: But they're still land In Disneyland, I think, well, they cannibalize parts of the land.
Speaker 4: Well, they're taking like parking lots and converting them and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, a little bit of Handle history And I'm not a I'm not a modern day Handle guy. I've told you I happen to be a Disney fan.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 2: As much as I make fun of the cost of going to Disneyland, but for me, I haven't gone in a very very long time because the place is just too crowded now. Early days at Disneyland was a different story. Disneyland, as we know, opened up nineteen fifty five, and there are still rides there from nineteen fifty five, one of them being Utopia day one it opened. Now, the cars are very different now, they look better. They drive much to the market now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they've got seven different iterations.
Speaker 3: When we first drive started riding on the car.
Speaker 2: They were gas powered and they still grew horrible emissions.
Speaker 3: They still do.
Speaker 5: Really, I think they're switching them though, Amy right.
Speaker 3: Now they are.
Speaker 4: They're they're converting to electricity finally, which I've been saying they should do, like Conda should have stepped in twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you a car Land. Uh it's which having never been to, is that pretty?
Speaker 3: Neat?
Speaker 4: Carsland is spectacular.
Speaker 1: Gorgeous and the Key Ride, I mean they have some fun rides there, but the Key Ride, the race is very fun, OKAYU.
Speaker 2: The Disneyland Railroad opened up and it's kind of a neat thing.
Speaker 3: Goes around the park.
Speaker 1: Used to have two trains, do you remember that, I do. And one of them, one of them had an issue and almost fell off the top of them overpass.
Speaker 2: And one of them was a Pullman car that was a private car that was a replica of the old Pullman car. Really modern, not really modern, comfortable, big couches, et cetera that you couldn't go on. It was used for Disney when he would guessed when you have important guests come, they would do it. It's got a very long trip obviously around the park. But he was a nut for railroads. He had a model He had a model railroad and his house and he had it built the small ones that you can sit on.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of neat.
Speaker 2: The Jungle Cruise is original that is still around and it's hugely successful. And I remember that as a kid. And then the story I shared with you before is Park opens nineteen fifty five, about fifty seven, fifty six fifty seven, they were doing commercials for the television show Disney and there's a little girl who is scared to death grabbing onto her brother's leg as she's on the Jungle Cruise, and the hippos come up out of the water, and that was Marjorie. That was kind of really Yeah, that was Marjorie's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they's been looking for that commercial. We've been looking for it for years.
Speaker 5: You know, you used to be able to fish that I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they originally you could fish and it didn't last very long, but it was a huge thing with Walt Disney. He really wanted you to be able to fish. The problem was, and you could take them somewhere and they would cook them for you, or they'd wrap them and then you could take them at the end of the day something like that. But people were throwing them. They didn't want to walk around with them all day or whatever, and they'd throw them. They had such a problem that I don't think it lasted longer than a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: But you used to be able to fish that I didn't know. That's kind of crazy. King Arthur Carousel that's still around, still around. Do you remember Phil Henry when he did the remote. We used to have a guy, Phil Henry, who's completely nuts, by the way, and he did a quote remote at Disneyland. This is where Disney canceled everything it had to do with KFI And I don't know Amy, if you've heard that story. Phil Henry does voices, and he did a remote quote that's in quotes because of course he didn't go to a character name RC. Yeah, and he did a he did a story. He's at Disneyland. He's doing a story about the carousel people that are on it, and one of the kids got very sick and started vomiting. And as the carousel goes around and round, this explosive vomit is hitting people who are.
Speaker 3: Disney was so upset with that.
Speaker 1: Actually I was the one who met with them very close after in my position there, and they were very kind of under the circumstance.
Speaker 5: Well that was pretty rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well I think the next one on Big Thunder Mountain is where Disney canceled everything because what Phil did you remember that Phil had he was talking to an expert, He was talking to an engineer and talking about what had just happened to one of the riders that as it goes past the mountain pass and you know those fake mountains, if you look a certain way and you're a certain height, and it's very very rare.
Speaker 3: But it will take your head off.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the head rolled down the little hill and ended up in the waiting line where people yes, oh those were.
Speaker 3: Fun mad tea party yep, still there.
Speaker 2: The Main Street Cinema has gone through so many reation, reiterations of originally it was old Disney cartoons.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was Steamboat.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, they showed that. The Martin Mark Twain Riverboat is one of the original rides. Peter Pan is still a hugely popular Yeah, it's really good. And the Storybook Land canal boats Storybook Land through that.
Speaker 3: Was cute with all the little miniature villages.
Speaker 5: Go in the mouth of God. What was the name of the whale?
Speaker 3: Fred? No? Oh yeah, Fred?
Speaker 5: The will Yeah, no, I can't remember. Monstro Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was Monstro. Yeah. All right, guys, we are done.
Speaker 5: I want to go to Disneyland.
Speaker 3: I think I'll go Friday.
Speaker 5: You stink, of.
Speaker 3: Course you will, all right. Uh.
Speaker 2: The lawsuits against Trump administration, as you know, have been hot and heavy, and there was a lawsuit against the Trump administration because the federal government had cut funding to the NIH National Institute of Health for research grants, and this was related to minorities and LGBTQ people research grants, and the President said no, because that's woke.
Speaker 3: That's the EI, and it had nothing to do with that.
Speaker 2: It was the study of minorities, the study of LGPTQ people. Now, the NIH has also been cut in terms of sheer medical research because of DEI and because medical researches are less important to the administration is than defense, for example, and immigration reform. So the judge so upset that he ripped into the administration. And this had to do with two lawsuits that were filed to rescind funding for research related to minorities.
Speaker 3: And the judge declared those cuts to be.
Speaker 2: Illegal and void and order the NIH to restore the funds.
Speaker 3: And of course appeal is going to happen. But it's what he wrote.
Speaker 2: He said that this lawsuit represented racial discrimination and discrimination against America's LGBTQ community. On its face, that's what this is. I would be blind not to call it out. My duty is to call it out, which is pretty This preaty unusual for a federal judge. Now, if you remember Trump swept into office, I'm part of this promise to withdraw government support for programs that are diversity, equity and inclusion those in IT initiatives, as well as any law that supports gender ideologically extremism. Here's the problem with what the judges said, What exactly is a diversity program? Explain to me what diversity is relation to funding. Well, clearly, the study of minorities in this country, I guess, is obviously part of the DEI and wokeism here, and therefore we don't want it, I guess, even recognizing that there is an LGBTQ society, part of community. And this was the first, it's not the first Reagan important judge. There is a judge in Washington who blocked the administration efforts to relocate transgender women into men's prisons. Can you imagine that you have a woman who used to be a man is now in a men's prison, and that's a woman, I mean with women nether parts? What it's your another regions? Yep, okay, okay, I mean, that's just kind of hard to believe. And the judges across the board, judges routinely and repeatedly found the administration's it's a race to terminate contracts, dismantled agencies to port immigrants is all illegal. It's illegal as far as these judges are concerned. Now, the Justice Department. Justice Department Sends says, these research grant cuts and other programs and agencies are simply a reflection of the new administration's policy priorities. That Trump's executive orders is un reviewable by the courts, and the president should have broad latitude. And of course, this is the part that I love, because we get a lot of this is that taking away the study of insert name here increases our ability to understand right, like big Pharma, Wait a minute, how is taking away well, taking away money for research medical research grant helps us understand the research much better if you take away the money.
Speaker 3: What huh? Where did that go?
Speaker 2: But that's what's happening, all right, Okay, let me finish it up with the story about laa school board has just to prove the sale of up to five hundred million dollars in bonds. Okay, I mean usually my bonds when it build classrooms or maintenance or putting up new schools. Fair enough, that's what they issue bonds for. This one is simply to settle lawsuits.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: It's all about suddenly, lawsuits. Back in twenty nineteen, Assembly built two eighteen passed, and what it did is open up a three year window which ended at twenty twenty two, allowing adults to file lawsuits over childhood sexual abuse going back to the nineteen forties.
Speaker 3: And it was a three year window.
Speaker 2: And guess how many suits have been filed, how many claims. Thousands have been filed and claims made. And it's going to cost so much money that the school board has issuing a five hundred million dollars bond to cover we're talking about covering these lawsuits. And the bond is going to be paid over fifteen years with interest, and that comes out of the general fund.
Speaker 3: So as tough as it is.
Speaker 2: In terms of money for schools, for any educational program, guess what it's going to be even tougher. And it's a shame that so many settlements have been paid. Now not the shame they've been paid, that so many settlements or so many complaints have been made, so many claims have been made. The La County Board of Supervisors in April approved what is thought to be the largest sex of you settlement in US history, for billion dollars to victims abused as kids in the country county run juvenile facilities and foster homes, and the Boy Scouts of America huge settlement in the billions or hundreds of millions, the Catholic Church in the billions. And now we have la Board of Education that is going to pay so much money out for these kinds of cases. They have to go out and borrow five hundred million or sell bonds to the tune of five hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: It is just crazy.
Speaker 2: And we're coming up to the concept that institutions that we revered school the Church. Boy Scouts. Colonel Haig came in this morning with an interview. He's an astronaut and gave us some patches and whoa the patches that he wears on his uniform. And I'm saying, hey, these look like my Marrit badges that I had that I received when I was in Boy Scouts. And I said, by the way, I'm the only Scout that I've ever met that was not abused by a Scout master. And he said, wow, really well, he really didn't say that.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 5: They are many, not We're not abused.
Speaker 3: Not many, not many.
Speaker 2: There are a few that were not abused. A handful that we're not abused. All right, we're done, guys, Gary and Shannon up next Tomorrow morning wake up call with Will and Amy, Neil and I jump aboard at six o'clock right up until now, and of course and Kono make the show run and we'll see you tomorrow. Gary and Shannon up next, KFI Am sixty.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app