Speaker 1: To what links will one man go to seek out his destiny? Would any obstacle or responsibility stop him if he believed the path he was on would result in the fulfillment of his wildest dreams, even if those dreams seemed unfeasible, impractical, and far fetched to all the closest people around him. That's the plot of Marty Supreme. I'm Ronald Young Junior, and I'm leaving the theater.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: This is Ronald and I am leaving the theater after seeing Marty Supreme. Marty Supreme written by Ronald Bronstein and Josh Safti, directed by Josh Saftie, starring Timothy Chalomey, Gwyneth Paltrow, Odessa Azion, Kevin O'Leary, Tyler okonma Abel Ferreira, and Fran Dresser. And for complete cast listing, you can go to the link in our show notes. It is just me today. This is the last review of twenty twenty five. If you are following at Oz big Ron Studios on Instagram, you probably saw our top ten list. Marty Supreme was one of the ones I would not have been able to judge in time. To make the top ten list, spoiler alert, it would not have made my top ten for the year anyway. I will not tell you the rating. I will tell you the rating at the end. But I feel perfectly fine having seen this movie and ranking it outside of.
Speaker 3: My top ten.
Speaker 2: Now I want to point out the spoiler that you should know is that every movie in the top ten got at least a four. So that should tell you something right off the bat where this review is going, okay. Marty Supreme is a movie loosely based on the life of Marty Riser, who was a table tennis player. In this film, his name is Marty Mauser. He is a Jewish table tennis player who lives at looks like in Brooklyn, New York, in the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: He is depicted as.
Speaker 2: Not super responsible through the eyes of the adults that are in his life now he is twenty three, but will say his mother, his uncle, other people that are around him kind of respond to him as if he is irresponsible, and he's shown throughout the film doing a lot of irresponsible things. He is on a quest to become a great ping pong player, and it is kind of set up like a biopic, but it is not. Again loosely based on the life of Marty Reiser, who I don't know well enough to know how accurate this is.
Speaker 3: I didn't like it as a film.
Speaker 2: I didn't like it now as a feat of performance from Timothy Chaloumey. Very good, very good, But I already knew he could act. I already knew he could act, and I don't necessarily think that he told me anything new about himself through this performance. I've been looking at reviews in which people have been saying that this is a career defining performance. I don't know if this is that for him. I do think that maybe it expands the offers he may get in the future, and maybe his abilities. He's more physical in this film, but he's also physical in Doune, So.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's You know what bothers me about this film is that in a lot of ways, it is the same movie as Uncut Gems, which is a movie done by Josh Safty and his brother Benny when they were directing movies together. This has been the first year which they started directing movies apart from each other, with Benny Safti giving The Smashing Machine, which is very very quiet for Oscar Season, which makes me think that I was right with my review and assessment of that film and this one, which is done by Josh Safty Marty Supreme. Now it's getting a lot of accolades right now. It has a ninety five percent on Rotten Tomatoes right now, and I think a lot of this has to do because it's a Safty brother and it's Timothy Chalomey. But watching the film, I did not feel, outside of Timothy chalo May's acting, that anything was emerging in front of me that I was seeing something career defining. To cite another movie in which I did see that but maybe didn't enjoy the movie that much was watching Emma Stone and Jesse Plemons in Bogonia, a movie that also did not make the Top ten list, but I definitely gave it accolades for both of these two clocking in and doing their job. Timothy shallow May does his job in this film. But because this movie is so much like Uncut Gems, it sells me a false promise. It tells me that I'm going to see a story about a man who is relentless in his attempt to.
Speaker 3: Reach the highest heights of table tennis.
Speaker 2: And parlay that into some sort of good old fashioned American rags to riches stardom. And this idea of trading up is exactly the storyline in Uncut Gems. Adam Sandler is hustling the entire movie, robbing Peter to pay Paul, to consistently try to trade up from the sapphire that he acquires to trying to auction it to get this money so it could pay off this guy. All of that is coming up in this film. At some point he has robbed of that is rightfully his. All of that happens in Uncut Jims, but all of that also happens in Marty Supreme. Here is a man that is on a relentless quest to trade up in order to get what he needs in order to go to Tokyo for this. It is the whatever you want to call the it's the like imagine the Grand Slam of table tennis. We'll call it. It is the Grand Slam of table tennis. We'll call it. It is a Grand Slam, but in table tennis terms, so very big tournament means a lot.
Speaker 3: There's prize money, all of that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I just think this film wastes a lot of time with Shenanigans, and I know the Safti brothers love Shenanigans, and this just feels like it's hamstrung.
Speaker 3: In the Shenanigans.
Speaker 2: We're just stuck watching him try to get what he needs to get to Tokyo while also making terrible decisions and doing awful things, definitively awful. He's not a likable character whatsoever. And I find that because I'm not getting much out of him about how he sees about how he sees himself. And when I say that, I mean outside of him seeing himself as a star and possibly rising and making it to the end, I don't know enough about him. It's strange because I guess we do learn something about him, but not what I think we should have learned to truly get his motivations, especially by the time we get to the end of the film. At the very end of the movie, I remember thinking, Oh, what was that. There's a thing that me and my friend Michael say, which is we there's the musical Hamilton. At the very end of the musical, they all of a sudden start singing about the orphanage, the orphanage and the way that they put the emphasis on the words the orphanage while singing about Eliza, you would think that the entire musical was not about Hamilton or Hamilton's life, but rather about the orphanage. And that happens at the end of this film, where Marty is in a place and he sees us something and then he has an emotional response, and I remember thinking, this can't pau oh no, that's the end of the movie.
Speaker 3: This can't possibly be the end of the movie. And that was the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: And it puts an emphasis on something where I don't know what Josh Saftie's perspective is on this film. I don't understand. And I feel like, based on this massive press tour that Timothy Chalomey is taking and based on the way that critics are responding, this is one of those Oscar films in which you just have to get it.
Speaker 3: And I did get it.
Speaker 2: I got it a few years ago when this was uncut Gems, and I really enjoyed Uncut Gems, And I think what bothers me about watching this film is that Timothy chalomy is going to get the accolades and the acclaim that Adam Sandler should have got for playing a very similar, if not the same role in Uncut Gems.
Speaker 3: Watch those movies back to back.
Speaker 2: It is a man that is that is running from something, running towards something. It's very amorphous. I have to go alone. He's cheating on women. He has a you know, a main woman and a side woman, you know, like he and he's also and Marty Supreme is even more complex than that. And then again there's some goons that are coming after him to get something that he took for them because he really needed it. Then also, there's no real consequences to anything that happens in this film. And I feel like that's the difference between Uncut Gyms and Marty Supreme, which is that in Uncut Gems, there are real consequences when you get to the end of the film, whereas in Marty Supreme, it just feels like several very big, very terrible things happen, and in the next scene we're just okay, off to the next thing.
Speaker 3: It seems like we got to do the next thing. What's the next thing?
Speaker 2: We're doing, Okay, off to the next thing, and it just it feels aimless. I think this movie, in the first maybe half an hour, I'm into it, and then it kind of feels like it turns into a series of kind of loose vignettes, which is it's frustrating, and for it to be two and a half hours long it for me, it's not even that it overstays. It's welcome because it keeps tricking me to stay a little bit longer by essentially enticing me with the main plot, which is is this guy gonna make it to this table tennis match? And then what's gonna happen there? And it's subverting a lot of sports movie and I guess mission movie tropes in a very specific way, because at some point this movie is basically like, no, it's not about table tennis. It's about this man and this character, And just for me, it would have been fine for it to also be about table tennis. We've seen plenty of biopicks in which they cover the man and they cover the thing that they're doing. Now, technically this isn't a biopic because it's loosely based on someone rather than actually being about this person. So I don't know how these stories were told, I don't know how they were received, but they all just feel like each of these stories feel like the story of a very old man Marty Reser died when he was eighty five, who was telling you stories in a bar and you've never heard of him, but he's telling you these fantastic stories. It just feels like all they did was illustrate those stories. And because they're loose vignettes, you don't ever get to know the character telling the story. Now, I think that is appealing to some people. It's not appealing to me. I do not want to watch this again. I will say I enjoyed watching Timothy Shalomey. I enjoyed watching him. I think he did do a good job. Granted, I don't think he did anything I didn't know he could do, and it did make me want to see him in more, not necessarily middle of the road movies, but just movies that maybe aren't always so performance driven, or movies where there's more of an ensemble. I just think that I know what he's trying to do. He announced what he was trying to do last year. He's striving for greatness, which is good good. I just don't know if this was the one. With all of that being said, I give it a two point nine to nine of five stars. I don't want to watch it again. Timothy Chalomauge acting was very good for four point twenty five on the acting, but the rest of the movie just it was not good enough to justify everything else that I had to sit through. And I would rather just watch Uncut Gems again, which is a better movie. So for the rest of the movie, I'd probably give it like below a two, but again for his performance, very good. So and the last thing I'll say is Frand Dresher is in this movie, and for the little bit of time that she's there, I actually really enjoyed her and would have loved to see more of her. I think this movie does a weird thing with actors generally, in that there are a bunch of small roles and cameos played by very notable people.
Speaker 3: There is.
Speaker 2: Penn Gilette is in this film. Ted Williams, and to be clear that Ted Williams, who was homeless and then became a voiceoverstar and then went on Doctor Phil and basically lost it all. He's in this film. David Mammett, Disgraced film director David mammontt is in this film. Or disgraced writer David Mammontt is in this film. George Gervin. Famed basketball player George Gervin is in this film. Tyler the Creator is in this film. Fran Dresher is in this film, and fran Dresher gave me a little bit, which was good. George Gervin could have probably been played by anybody. There's just several roles in this film where it was distracting enough to see them and be like, Hey, what's that guy doing here?
Speaker 3: I wonder if that means something?
Speaker 2: And then they kind of just they're gone, And so if I missed that, And maybe part of it is the point like there's something in common with all of these these folks that maybe I just didn't notice, but felt like a.
Speaker 3: Just felt like an.
Speaker 2: Easter egg for Easter Egg's sake in some cases, but woefully underused. Fran Dresher, who demonstrated some range here. I thought the parts in which she started talking and interacting I really enjoyed so, but she's not in it much.
Speaker 3: With that.
Speaker 2: Leaving the Theater is a production of Oh It's Big Ron Studio. I mixed this episode. It is currently Christmas Eve. I am leaving the theater and then ha. See, I'm leaving the theater and I am headed to hang out with friends for mass before I hang out with them and eat some dinner and then head home to rap gifts and get ready to make breakfast in the morning and open gifts with my family. I fit this movie in because I wanted to see it now and wanted to make sure I was able to edit it on Sunday so that it could come out next Monday, as the well it could come out today as you're hearing it today. There's a lot of extra offerings that we've been offering on the Patreon and I've been producing and making those. Just put out Anaconda nineteen ninety seven in preparation for the new Anaconda.
Speaker 3: Which will drop the first week of the new year.
Speaker 2: So as of when I get this episode mixed, by the time you hear it, we should be prepped for two weeks in leaving the theater, which gives me a little bit of a break. But there's still a lot more work to be done. There's still a lot more movies to see, a lot more content to create for offerings on Patreon and beyond. This is a lot of labor. I'm not just sitting tight. I'm planning, I'm thinking, I'm cutting tape, I'm making I'm recording all of it so that you get to hear a good show every single week. And the audience has been great. Our numbers have been up across the board. We are doing much better in terms of downloads than we were this time. I don't know three years ago. We've been steadily improving. I stopped looking into downloads. I've recently started looking at them again, realizing that our low number or our high number, has gotten much higher. And our low number has also gotten much higher, which is great, which means we're getting a lot more listeners and a lot more downloads. But all of this is labor. It's a labor of love, but it's still labor. If that means something to you, consider becoming a patron. Go to patreon dot com, slash oh it's big Ron, or go to the link in our show notes. Show art from Heather Wilder, theme music by the mysterious Breakmaster Cylinder. For more information about Marty Supreme, check out our show notes. You can follow me on Instagram, blue Sky, TikTok, threads, or letterboxed at owitz Big Ron that's at.
Speaker 3: H I T S B I G R O N.
Speaker 2: You can find out more about this show on other oh It's Big Ron Studio shows by following us on instagm at oh It's Big Ron Studios leaving the theater, will be back soon. Thanks for listening and Happy New Year. I'm Ronald Young Junior and I'm in the Shenanigans