Speaker 1: In the late nineteenth century, a groundbreaking advancement in criminal investigations took place. In the aftermath of a brutal attack on a family that left too dead, a single bloody fingerprint was discovered. This lone piece of evidence would ultimately solve the case, bringing the murderer to justice, marking the first time fingerprints were ever used to convict a criminal, and it changed investigation methods forever.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingram, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast and material intended for a mature audience listener discretion. Oh that's a good sound.
Speaker 2: It's been a while.
Speaker 1: It's been a while. I'm actually technically double fisting right now. You really are, because I have a beer open already, just a little bit left in the bottom, but I needed a second one for that sound at the beginning of the podcast. So I'm just like, I need to so here I am. You just needed it, Hey, sometimes you do.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you do.
Speaker 1: And when your favorite sports team loses as bad as they just did for us, you need to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think you were saving that for the podcast, and then you're like, fuck it, I'm gonna have one now and later.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what happens. So here we are.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, Oh well, what.
Speaker 1: Can you do? You can drink two beer. Though they can't always they they can certainly always lose. By the looks of it. You almost spat your freaking drink at me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 1: So are you stoked for this episode?
Speaker 2: I am, actually.
Speaker 1: Because this is I'm talking criminology history on this one. This isn't just a regular case. This is something that marked a very significant time and a very significant advancement in criminal investigations.
Speaker 2: No kidding. And I don't think this is ever anything I've looked into or looked up. So this is this is great.
Speaker 1: It's not something I ever considered either, except recently. I started in twenty twenty four using chat gpt for finding new and interesting cases, and in a discussion with chat gept about some obscure interesting cases in a discussion, well yeah, in a discussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm obsessed with chatpt. I feel like they're like my friend. They talk to me so nice.
Speaker 1: I know, and I talked to them nicely to because they're so nice. And also, you know, just in case one day. Hey, maybe it might spare my life. I don't know, but I digress. I had a conversation with Chatgypt and they brought this up to me and I was like, hmm, that seems interesting. Tell me more. And then so it did, and then I was like, I think I just found a case that I'm gonna be researching soon. And then so it stuck in my list for a little while and then yeah, here I am.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Cool story, Hey bro, super cool story.
Speaker 2: I know. Actually, every time I ask chapt anything, I'm always like okay, like thanks so much, and then they always are like, oh, You're so welcome if you need any more help. But I'm like, right, thanks so much, and they just wish you luck on all your endeavors, and I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Am, okay, wan on something really cool. Because I wrote a poem the other day, you.
Speaker 2: Did, he was supposed to be working What were you supposed to be working on? Is that research?
Speaker 1: I think it's probably really like, how's it going on?
Speaker 2: I wrote a poem?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So the reason I wrote a poem is because we're attending a Robbie Burns Night event. I believe I discussed it on a recent episode. Yeah, and so Robbie Burns is a poet that's celebrated globally, Scottish poet. Long, so, long story story. I wrote a poem to share at our table in honor of Robbie Burns and in honor of the people were sharing the evening with. It's really good and thank you. I had a little bit of help from chat gapt in a couple of lines. Is getting stuck with, you know, a little bit of flow sort of thing, right, help me refine, I guess if you will. And at the end of it, chat gpt even cheers me in Scottish. It wished me luck on the event and reading the poem and it said Solange of va. Oh wow Scottish cheers.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh man, okay, yeah, that is so awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I digress. Sorry, I think we should we should get to this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we're going back, as I said in the intro, to the late nineteenth century, and we're heading to Argentina. So Argentina was going undergoing significant changes at the time. The small coastal town of Nechoia, located along the Atlantic Ocean was about three hundred and thirty miles from Buenos Aires, and it remained a quiet retreat despite the country's economic growth. Fishermen set out at dawn, and during the warmer months, visitors flocked to its wide beaches, its hot springs, and of course the forested trails as well. Life here moved at a slower and more peaceful play pace. Picture exactly what we all want to get away from the hustle and bustle and go move to. That's pretty much what's happening here.
Speaker 2: Sounds lovely now.
Speaker 1: Francisca Roja Roja, I think Rojas, Roha, Roja, Roja, I'm going with Roja. Francisca Roja was born in Necochia in eighteen sixty five, and Nicochia is the area. Again. This is one of those things. I don't know how to pronounce it, but I'm doing my best.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: She grew up in a modest home, receiving only a basic education, as schooling in Argentina was still not widely accessible. It wasn't until eighteen eighty four that a law was passed ensuring free and secular education for all children. Now, during this period in Argentina. It was expanding, you know, economically, with a wave of European immigrants arriving to work in the country's growing industries. Many sought better opportunities in larger cities, but Francisca chose to stay in her hometown. As a young woman, she married a man by the name of Ponciano carral Bayo, and together they had two children, a son, Ponziano Junior and a daughter, Felicia. They lived a short distance from the center of town. Now, Ponziano worked long hours but earned a modest living, so he was one of those hard work and father sort of thing, doing his best, but you know, just bringing home your average sort of income. Now, over time, their marriage became strained for one reason or another. Rumors spread that Francisca had been seeing another man. Ooh, and whispers of her supposed infidelity reached the ears of her husband.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I hate that.
Speaker 1: That is just the absolute worst infidelity, Yeah, or people talking.
Speaker 2: I guess both, but more so the infidelity. Like gosh, I just think that is just the worst.
Speaker 1: I honestly think if there is infidelity this excuse me, infidelity occurring that I would prefer people to talk because that way you learn about it. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, but I mean, just like I separate, I suppose, right yeah, or anything like that happens, or.
Speaker 1: There's no point in hurting another person. Just yeah, do exactly what you say.
Speaker 2: Separate, I mean, which would still hurt them. But I think like the infidelity is worse.
Speaker 1: Well, it hurts more because then there's infidelity, and so it's like, you know, it's even more piled up. Yeah, now, friends and neighbors, Warren Ponciano that his wife was not faithful, and eventually he made a very difficult decision. He made the decision that he was going to leave her and take the children with him.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: He believed that if you were to take the children that they would have a better life without her in it.
Speaker 2: Wow, okay, you go now.
Speaker 1: For Francesca, though, this was devastating. Under Argentina's Civil Code, which had been enacted in eighteen sixty nine, men and women were legally considered equals, which I mean hell yeah, which meant for her that she would not receive any special consideration in this separation, and she feared without her husband's support, she would be I mean living, would just become extremely difficult, right, He was kind of the bread winter before, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, but I mean she should have thought about her actions.
Speaker 1: Then, exactly. So she pleaded with Ponciano to reconsider, but his mind was made up. He was still young, hardworking, and determined to provide for a better future for his children, just not with Francisco in their lives.
Speaker 2: I kind of love this actually, that he's just like peace, right yeah, with the kiddos.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So in Argentina by nineteen sorry, by eighteen ninety two, which is when this is taking place, Argentina was slowly recovering from a financial crisis that left many people struggling. Though the economy was improving at the time, jobs were still scarce and wages remained low. So for Francisca, you know, things remained uncertain for her. She's like, how am I going to get a job? What am I going to do to support myself? Right?
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: With her husband planning to leave take the children, it was just like all this worry of how she's going to survive on her own that was piling up. So on June nineteenth, Ponciano returned to the house that they shared now This was still the same day that he broke this news to her, right, So he broke this news to her, went off. For whatever reason, he had left the house and he was going to come back at a certain time, and he told Francisca about his decision to leave already, right though he hadn't actually moved out yet. It's same day. Lots to deal with, right, it takes time. Yeah, So the time was just after two pm when he had arrived back at the house. So he expected, you know, to come on in, enter as usual, gone about their day, figure out what the next steps are. But when he arrived and tried to open the door, the door wouldn't budge. It was stuck. Now, this struck odd. Francisca and the children were supposed to be home, and she hadn't mentioned going anywhere, like locking out the house or whatever right before she left. It was a Sunday, a day when most people weren't working, and she knew he was coming home. So on, growing unease, growing unease, Pontiana went to his neighbor, Romano Velasquez, and he asked for help to get in the home. Now, the two men returned to the house and worked together to force the door open. Nothing could have prepared them for what they found on the other side of that door. Oh my gosh. What well. As soon as they stepped inside, they were met with a gruesome scene. Francisca was laying near the entrance to the door, covered in blood, clutching her neck in a panic. But the true horror was in the bedroom. She was still alive, but both of their children were dead. Their throats had been slashed so brutally that their heads were nearly severed from their body.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay. Also, you, I don't know if I should say this, you distracted the absolute shit out of me because you were like the true horror, and I was like, is the life? And then I was just thinking of all that, and I wasn't taking the scene seriously, and I was like, oh god.
Speaker 1: The true horror. Horror.
Speaker 2: Okay. So anyway, the wife is alive, she's alive, and the kids are fucking dead. Correct, Holy shit, that's horrible. Yeah, way to make a shitty day, like, you know, about a million times shittier.
Speaker 1: Exactly right. So the neighbor of Lasquez ran for help immediately, and the authorities quickly arrived. Ponciano was inconsolable, overwhelmed with shock and grief. Now Francisca, though alive, was in a state of hysteria, making it difficult for doctors to even assess her injuries whatsoever. As police surveyed the crime scene, one question loomed overhead. Who could committed such a monstrous act, especially against two innocent children, six year old Ponziano Junior and four year old Felicia Gosh.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling that it has something to do with the infidelity, and like the kids are just like the innocent ones in this, so this is horrible.
Speaker 1: They are, Well, if it has something to do with the infidelity, what do you think could have happened? Where's your head going with that?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Curious?
Speaker 2: My thought is maybe it's like someone that she was with or something like a different partner. I don't know if she had more than one or whatever, or I was almost even the at first like it was her. But then if she's super injured, that's not that could doesn't necessarily rule her out. Her being injured because like self infliction, potentially we've heard of that before. I think, yeah, but I think I'm gonna go with like one of her her partners that was from outside the marriage.
Speaker 1: Okay, why would a partner attack like this though like that? That That's what I'm trying to wrap my head around here.
Speaker 2: Why he was leaving with the kids?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know. I feel like it's more it more so could be her, But I don't know the extent of her of the injury. So let's let me just carry on listening.
Speaker 1: Well, no one's really sure of the extent of her injuries because she's in such hysteria, like doctors canning me close to her.
Speaker 2: Okay, because she could have just the blood of the kids on her potentially.
Speaker 1: Which is true. So okay, Now, once Francisca did calm down a bit, police, like I said, doctors weren't able to check her out. She'd fucking panic if that were the case. But police were able to speak with her, and though her injuries were serious, they weren't life threatening. And she was asked who attacked her and killed her children, she didn't hesitate. She named the neighbor, the neighbor Velasquez, mister Velaskaz, the same man who helped Pontiano break into the house. She claimed that Vlaskaz struck her with a spade, the very tool that was found to have wedged against the door that was holding it shut.
Speaker 2: Okay, what the shit.
Speaker 1: However, this statement immediately raised questions for authorities. The spade had been blocking the entrance from the inside, So how could Velaskaz have been the attacker if he was outside to help Pontiano force the door open? Right? Okay, so the police pressed on back door. Maybe I don't know. Yeah, well, they pressed her on this, and but she insisted. She explained that Ponziano had asked Velasquez to come and take the children as he planned to leave her and you know, raise him on his own right. So, according to Francesca, when Velasquez arrived to collect them, she refused to let them go. An argument broke out, and in a fit of rage, she claimed, he attacked her and then brutally murdered the children in the attack. It wasn't long before Velasquez was arrested. News of the crime quickly spread through the town, and before any real investigation had taken place, most of the people had already made up their minds that he.
Speaker 2: Was guilty, okay and sorry. The thought was that he was in there to gather the children.
Speaker 1: That that's what she says. Yes, that's what Francesca says. Okay, so she said that he came to like collect the children for her husband, Ponsano, and she refused and then like like a toussl or, something broke out and it escalated and that happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that would make no sense that like he would go about killing the kids, like, if anything, I could see her being injured, but not necessarily the kids.
Speaker 1: Right, and then of course the spade and the door, how did that happen? House? He on the outside. So there's a lot of queries floating around on how does this really play at? Like huh, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, at the police station, Velasquez was interrogated relentlessly. He swore he had nothing to do with the murders. No matter how much the authorities pressured him, he was disorbed. He just said like no. They resorted to brutal interrogation methods against him, and even like keep in mind, this is nineteenth century Argentina here, this is like not a modern day a era. He refused to confess no matter what they threw at him. He kept repeating the same story he had only helped Pontiano get inside the house, he had nothing to do with the attack.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I think you should just never be a neighbor because this is the second case now where like the neighbor just gets like shit on.
Speaker 1: Okay, just buy one hundred acres, live out in the woods. That's what you need to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never had neighbors. Still look like a weird person that could potentially commit murder.
Speaker 1: Probably, Yeah, there's that weird person who lives out in the woods. It's probably them now. Regardless of Pontiano denying any of this, the police they weren't convinced of his innocence. They believed that they had their men, and so did the townspeople. The evidence, though, didn't add up, but in their eyes, there was no need to look any further. Well, not necessarily look any further, I guess I kind of wrote that a little bit wrong. Not necessarily look any further. They're looking further into it, but they they believed they already had the answer, I guess. So the investigation was continuing. Witnesses began actually coming forward, in fact, during this the next few days, and there were some statements that kind of seemed uh to change a little bit. Several people confirmed that Raman Velasquez had actually been with them at the approximate time that the murders would have taken place. Okay, their accounts matched perfectly, in fact of lining up with what Velaskaz himself had told the police at the very beginning. So detectives poured over the details again and again. In one statement in particular stood out. Velasquez had mentioned that on the morning of the crime, Francisca had come to his house and had a heated argument with his wife. When she left, he recalled that she had been visibly angry. Now, at first the police they couldn't shake the idea that Flaskaz might have gone to the house afterwards and committed the crime in a fit of rage. But his alibi was air tight. No matter how much they wanted to believe he was guilty. There was just these inconsistencies that made them hesitate. What they thought before was a slam dunk, Now it didn't seem so sure. There is that one glaring inconsistency that still loomed over them though. The door being jammed shut from the inside. If Laskaz had killed Francisca and the sorry Francisca's children, there we go. That was almost a tongue twister for me, and assaulted her and then left. How could he have locked himself out?
Speaker 2: Well, that's why I was thinking that maybe there's a second door or some shit.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I don't believe that's the case, unfortunately. Okay, that's when investigators started to ask themselves a different question. What if Velaskaz wasn't the killer. But if he wasn't, then who was. One week after the attack, Francisca was finally examined by a doctor. Remember at the beginning, I said she was like hysterical, hysterical, and doctors couldn't get near her right. She claimed she was still in pain from the injuries that she had suffered that day. But the doctors inspected her and they were prized there was no visible signs of bruising, and she claimed to have been struck by this shovel in the back and the head, not to mention that she had laceration on her neck. Right now, the spade that was found on the crime scene, it was a heavy tool. If someone as strong as Vlaskaz had struck her, as she claimed the injuries will be far more severe, and they also couldn't understand how she actually survived this injury when it was or sorry with this attack with only minor injuries, because the laceration on her neck wasn't as bad as it first seemed. It only really seemed to be a small cut. It almost like it had healed up way too fast. Oh jeez.
Speaker 2: Well and also like whoever was doing this was you know, in for vengeance, right with what they did to the kids. Yeah, so she wouldn't be getting out of that like.
Speaker 1: Scott free exactly. So this small cut that she had, it was pretty much healed, and it's like, okay, this is to be a brutal inflicted injury. Like the children's heads are nearly severed, you're covered in blood and like hysterical, and now here we are a week later and it's like almost completely gone. There's no bruisings on you, no, nothing like this again doesn't add up. So by July eighth, news of the shocking crime had spread beyond the area, reaching La Plata, a capital in Buenos Aires Province. Now the case had drawn attention from higher authorities, and with pressure mounting to solve it, A more experienced team of investigators was actually sent out to investigate, so leading the new investigation was inspected Inspector at Duardo Alvarez, a seasoned officer with a strong reputation. When he arrived in town, Roman, Velasquez was still in custody despite the lack of solid evidence against him, so police were reluctant to release him. I mean, after all, he was their only suspect, right, But inspect.
Speaker 2: It doesn't, honest seem like there is really much evidence pointing to him though at all.
Speaker 1: There's not. The only evidence really pointing towards him is the victims. What's the word confession not confession statement statement? I guess, yeah, the victim statement and is.
Speaker 2: Close proximity I guess too, I guess so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, Inspector Alvarez wasn't convinced that he was the man that Velasquez was the man. Inspector Alvarez arrived at the crime scene. I mean, this is a week later, right, but we do have this crime scene, and he's determined to piece together what really happened. By now we are nearly three weeks past. Sorry, so we are three weeks past the brutal attack and the murder of the two children's remained unsolved. After surveying the property, he carefully reviewed the statements given by both Francisca and Vlasquez. Almost immediately for him, something felt off. Vlaska's account had been backed up by witnesses who were with him at the time of the crime, but Francisca's version it didn't add up. Her injuries were suspiciously minor, she had initially refused medical attention, and the most puzzling of all, the door was jam shut from the inside of the home with this spade.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So if Flaskaz was a killer, you know again, how can he lock himself out? Inspector Alvarez couldn't understand why the police had Flaskeez in custody for so long with so little evidence against him. Then he came across something in the case file that caught his attention. Velasquez had reported hearing Francisca say that her lover refused to marry her because she had young children. Oh shit, remember when there was that heated argument with his wife and Francisca.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: So it was a seemingly small detail, but Alvarez. To him, it was significant for the first time he considered the possibility that Francesca herself, Wow, might be responsible for the murders.
Speaker 2: What a complete monster if this is what has actually happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to revise your your thoughts? Do you want to tell me what your head's at now, what you think is going on?
Speaker 2: Well, at first, I because I did mention it could potentially have been her, But then I was thinking it was more so like because he, like her ex or husband or whatever, was going to take the kids away. So it's like if I can't have my kids, like no one can, kind of thing like I thought she was kind of she maybe did this in spite, but like to just be with her freaking lover. Oh man, that's t that, Okay. I was gonna say that ten times worse. Either one is terrible. Either one's so terrible. But this lady is like a selfish piece of shit, Like she's just disgusting. I'm disgusted with her fair enough. I don't even want to listen to about her anymore.
Speaker 1: You just done well. As I mentioned in the intro, there's a very significant piece of this puzzle.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, that's where I'm wondering. Oh, okay, so abriy, I was like, it could be the lover then maybe potentially, Okay, okay, are you good? I'm good.
Speaker 1: Sorry, do you want to explain what just happened? I feel like you just had a stroke or something.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just so convinced that it was her, but like, it's still very much could be her lover. I'm thinking because even if they found a bloody fingerprint in there, I am unsure and it was hers, I'm unsure that would like solve this per se. But if they found the fingerprint and it was like the lovers, then it's like okay, boom okay.
Speaker 1: Determined to find concrete evidence, the inspector returned to the home once again, and he was convinced that something had been overlooked, so he meticulously searched each room up down, every square inch, paying attention to detail all over the place, and specifically in the children's bedroom, and that's when he noticed it, a dried blood stain on the door. Now, at first glance, it looked like an ordinary smear, but on closer inspection, Alvarez realized that it's the distinct shape of a fingerprint. He thought the stain had darkened over time it was still but it was still clearly visible, now just a dark brown color. But he believed it could be a crucial piece of forensic evidence, so he ordered his men to carefully remove that section of the door. Now, Francesca had claimed in her statement that she had never touched the children's bodies after they were killed. If the bloody fingerprint turned out to be hers, it could suggest that she was lying, and might also suggest that she was the real killer. Now, at the time, fingerprints were already being used for identification, but they'd never been used to solve a crime. So a little bit of history here. Sir William Herschel, a British officer working in India, had been one of the first Europeans to recognize their significance. In the eighteen fifties, while working for the Indian civil Service in Bengal, he began using fingerprints on contracts to prevent fraud. He also documented his own fingerprints over the years to prove that they remained unchanged over time. Okay, so the potential of fingerprints and forensic work had first been proposed in eighteen eighty. At this point, that would have been twelve years prior by doctor Henry Faulds and later expanded on by Sir Francis Galton. Now Galton. His research revealed that fingerprints were unique to each and every individual and that no two were exact alike. This discovery laid the foundation for fingerprint analysis as a scientific method for identification. Now Inspector Alvarez happened to have a friend who was deeply involved in this field. The man who had immigrated to Argentina from Croatia in eighteen eighty two, was at the age of twenty four, was an anthropologist working in the police headquarters Mar del Plata. There he had been developing fingerprint classification methods based on Galton's work, So in March of eighteen ninety two, he established Argentina's first fingerprint bureau. Believing he might be onto something groundbreaking, Inspector Alvarez collected ink fingerprint samples from both Francesca and Velasquez, and he sent them to his friend at this location. We're talking the same, very very same guy, right, the guy who's expanding on Galton's work. He sent these over there for him for analysis, to compare them against this bloody fingerprint on the section of the door, and guess what found a match. When the results came back, the investigators were stunned. The fingerprint on the door was a perfect match to the ink sample that was taken by the mom Francesca.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my gosh, so right there, Like she's a liar, a big time liar.
Speaker 1: At the very least, it was proof that she'd been in contact with a crime scene in the way that she previously did not, Right.
Speaker 2: I also just have to say that would be so difficult, I feel like too, like without using computer, Like you think CSI and the digital and like you're overlapping a fingerprint to match and shit, like, I feel like that would be so difficult to do on like without digital.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I don't know. I mean, I'm not sure on the invention of the microscope, but I mean you at least have some magnification of certain sorts. Yeah, And I mean with a light underneath the pane of glass, you can overlap two papers really easy, I guess, right, So I'm not sure in the process, but that's where my head's going. You know, a little bit of magnification here, some light underneath, let's see if we can line these up right. Okay. So now, despite the evidence, the police were still uncertain about the reliability of fingerprint analysis in criminal investigations. Nonetheless, they confronted from Chesca with their findings. At first, she was quite confused about the whole situation, but as officers explained the methodology behind their conclusion, her composure crumbled. Overcome with emotion, she broke down and confessed to the murder of her two children. Gosh. She explained to Inspector Alvarez that when her husband told her he was leaving and taking the children with him, she was devastated. Unable to bear the thought of them being separated, she decided that it would be better if they died all together.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Her plan had been to kill the children and then take her own life. However, after carrying out the first part of horrific decision, she found herself unable to go through with her own death.
Speaker 2: Which is kind of surprising if you just killed your own two kids, like, I'm unsure you could go forward from that, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, here's something from my thoughts here. She did more than kill her own kids. Their heads were almost completely severed from the body.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I believe she took out some frustration or anger or something of some sort of emotion on her kids.
Speaker 2: Holy shit. I just that is just unfamable to think rather a mom could do that.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, but she did. Wow. Francisca was formally charged with the murders and taken into custody. Now given the brutality for crime, she was extensively examined by doctors to determine whether she was legally insane. While murder was a capital offense in Argentina at the time, women were exempt from the death penalty, so after multiple evaluations, medical experts concluded that Francesca was indeed quote insane, and on September twentieth, nineteen eighty sorry eighteen ninety four, she was transferred to Laura's Penitentiary near Marja Plata, where she remained behind bars for the rest of her life. Her case had a lasting impact on forensic science. The success of fingerprint analysis in solving the crime encouraged Argentina government to expand its research into fingerprint identification. By nineteen hundreds, Argentina issued its first official identification card based on fingerprint records, and soon police departments around the world adopted what became known as the I'm going to pronounce this this? Are you going to butcher this pronunciation Vouchic method of fingerprint classification Vucich I think is maybe how you say it Voucich method a fingerprint classification. Francesca Rosa del Cabaro Cabalo, There we go, became the first person in history, the very first person in history, to be convicted based on fingerprint evidence, a breakthrough that changed criminal investigations for ever.
Speaker 2: Okay, good because like, honestly, without that, she would have probably have gotten away with this.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what would have happened. Damn holy shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this case is just mind blowing for like many reasons. The fact that she could do that to her own children is just horrific.
Speaker 1: Fucking boggles the mind. Hey, what a bitch? Like seriously, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not like more more than a bitch is like being nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's at least a double bitch, Holy.
Speaker 2: Shit, like a quadruple bitch. But also because yeah, like you said, she was taking like her rage out or but the kids didn't do anything. No, I'm just they're so young.
Speaker 1: Well, she probably would have been directing some rage that she had at her husband Ponziano onto the kids.
Speaker 2: Well, then do it to him, like what the actual.
Speaker 1: Shit, don't do it to him, don't do it to anybody.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you know what I mean. But the kids gosh, and then and yeah, this whole the fingerprint world opening up, Like that's just unreal. That is that's so good though it's it's solved so many things.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, if there is a person to be the first one in history, it's gonna be a piece of shit like that.
Speaker 2: Hm.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But then I also hate that she like kind of goes down in history and then her I don't know, her story gets like you know, told like do you know what I'm trying to say?
Speaker 1: There fair enough, however, I will rebuttal with forever in history, no one will ever forget how big of a piece of shit she.
Speaker 2: Was to Sche.
Speaker 1: So there we go to Sche.
Speaker 2: Honestly, fingerprints are so weird, Like it is actually so odd that everyone has different fingerprints, and like you can't even really like see by looking at your your fingers super close. You know, the other day, I was doing some serious manual labor for a bit, which is a and later I was just like, holy shit, I feel like I don't even have fingertips right now, Like our finger prints, they're just like they just worn off, got worn off.
Speaker 1: Well, do you have you heard of the case about like the whole like Koala bear thing with fingerprints. No, so Koala bears have fingerprints as well, and their fingerprints are very similar to human beings. Oh shit, So there have been crime scenes where Koala bear fingerprints have been and it fucks up the whole fucking investigation. They're trying to find certain fingerprints and it turns out it's a fucking Koala bear.
Speaker 2: Really, yeah, I have never ever heard anything like that.
Speaker 1: Really. No, Yeah, it's a legit thing, aren't.
Speaker 2: Kuala Bears like those cute little things, Like they're quite cute looking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they also carry syphilis. They literally carry an STD. Okay, they're adorable, don't get me wrong, but yeah, huh wow, Okay, that's all you got to say.
Speaker 2: No, I was just thinking, like, how fingerprints, like in that time, it's such a big deal and now, I mean they're still useful for sure, but it's like we've progressed so much more right with like DNA and stuff.
Speaker 1: All the advancements. Yeah, and honestly, like that was one hundred and thirty years ago, one hundred and forty years ago, somewhere in that ballpark. Yeah, like that's like we've come a long way, no shit to think that they just figured out fingerprints and now we have like the whole DNA profiling with genetics and stuff online because hey, you anti sent some fucking sample in tencestry dot com.
Speaker 2: I know, it's so funny that Aunt Sue just is like getting your assut like in jail, right, Like it's act be pretty hilarious it honestly it is. Yeah, yeah, and you're almost kind of like, don't do that, but also like go.
Speaker 1: For it out, so just do it, do it. Honestly, I kind of want to put my DNA in there just so I could like fuck up any relatives that do some shit stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you look at it that way, it kind of makes me want to. But I've always like been like, oh, I'm not going to bother or I don't think I want to do that, but I don't know that I'm planning to commit any crimes. And plus I think my sister's done it, so I'm fucked anyway, really right, like if someone that close to you has done it, like, okay, watch your back, no kidding, don't do anything shady.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I thought that would be a fun case to cover a little bit interesting in history around it. I know, have we covered the one about amber Amber Hagerman? Have we covered that one yet?
Speaker 2: Is that like the nine one one thing or no?
Speaker 1: The Amber alert?
Speaker 2: Okay, oh shit, I don't know. I remember looking at something when nine one one or something became a thing, So this is I'm more thinking different cases here. I don't know if we.
Speaker 1: Have because that's when I know I've read up on a long time ago, very interesting case about Yeah, because we all know the Amber alert, like, yeah, missing child, right up, doctor child. Yeah, it's it's not amber like the color, it's amber. The name name.
Speaker 2: Well, if we haven't, we should, we should have to look it up.
Speaker 1: I guess, gosh, go through our library just to be certain. We honestly have to do that all the time, just retrack through our library. And she's like, did we do this one? I think?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's kind of hard to think back like one hundred and fifty episodes or two hundred episodes, while you've done.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and fifty. Okay, there you go plus Patreon. Yeah, so we're probably sitting around three hundred episodes. Yeah, how does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I can't even remember what the hell I had for breakfast yesterday, so like there's just no way in hell that I'm going to remember.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is you don't feel you just numb?
Speaker 2: How am I numb?
Speaker 1: Because I'm like, how does that make you feel? And you're like, I don't even remember what I had for breakfast? Like all right, so you don't feel Oh okay, anyways, we're tired. Yeah, okay, we'll talk to you guys later. Hopefully enjoyed this one, good one, It was good one, and hopefully until next time.
Speaker 2: But also I just have to say, those poor kids, they did not deserve that whatsoever.
Speaker 1: So that's true, and description links and things and well this is we're an indie podcast, and.
Speaker 2: Can you tell? This was about as informal as it fucking gets. So anyway, until next episode, stay wicked