Speaker 1: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 2: This is Jesse Carmicho from Room five. Hi, this is Phil Margol of the Tokens. Hello.
Speaker 3: It's Nicole Atkins on the Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. It's fourth of July weekend and America's two hundred and fiftieth you've probably heard, so hopefully I have a little downtime this weekend. Hopefully you get to hang out and celebrate and do what you want to do, hang out by the pool. Whether your pool is Flag blue or Incredible Hulk green, we hope you have a wonderful weekend. We thought we would buy you some drinks this weekend to help you celebrate. But before we hop into all that, allow me to introduce all the cranbones joining us here tonight from the Richter Observatory. He recently found out that Elvis used to be a phone operator at a famous theater. One for the money, two for the show, three to get ready, four for sales, buy for customer service.
Speaker 2: I was waiting, where's this going off?
Speaker 4: That meil Richtor is back?
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, thank you from.
Speaker 4: The silver screen. She saw a guy walk into a bar. He's all banged up and bruised. His arm is in a cast. Bartender says, hey, what happened to you? He says, I tried to climb the tallest tower in France, but I fell off.
Speaker 5: Mercedes Kent is back out, Hey, everybody.
Speaker 4: And the host of Shaving Cream. She says, pigs dressed in black never get bullied because Batman protects Gotham.
Speaker 6: Barbara Deel, Oh wow, Wow, that regret my choice here?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it's too late. I'm about to introduce you. We have a special guest joining us tonight to fill the void of two missing Crambones. She is the host of Murder in the Hudson Valley with Yours Truly. She's the host of UFO Headquarters with Mike Worden. You may know her best here as the official hard ass judge of the annual Pop Crambone Quiz. She was recently in a documentary about bakeries. She got a small role. Linda Zimmermann is.
Speaker 7: Back, but it was a good role.
Speaker 4: Is there a bad one?
Speaker 2: You're just trying to butther her up? Can I I am?
Speaker 1: I am?
Speaker 4: She's taking the time out to join us tonight, and I am very grateful. And actually you were filming something recently I saw on your Facebook page. Are you allowed to talk about that or oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I filmed an episode for let me see if I can remember the Mysteries in the Heartland. It's looking at ancient Native American sites, which is one of the things I do in the HUDs in the Hudson Valley in this area.
Speaker 7: So yeah, that was that was fun. So okay for me, I do a variety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, do you know when that's coming out?
Speaker 7: Or probably September.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm all about the astronomical alignments of stone sites, but I'm sure nobody listening tonight show wants to hear that, so I.
Speaker 4: Think you would be surprised. Yes, all right, fine, we're going to get to the news and the celebratory weekend, and no one's better to lead us off than Neil.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's something I'm not unfamiliar, not totally unfamiliar with the the pastime. But anyway, so yes, you know, I know that I've chosen songs by the Ramones numerous times here on the Rock and Roll History Show, covering a variety of topics well, and that's only because they really have a song for every occasion. But this time it's going to be a little different. Instead of talking about the Ramones as a band, I'm going to focus on one particular member, their third drummer, Richie Ramone, and a song he wrote for the band called Somebody Puts Something in My Drink. Richard Reinhardt he was born in nineteen fifty seven. Richie played drums for several early CBGB bands like Velveteen and The Shirts before becoming the drummer for the Ramones. Between February nineteen eighty three and August nineteen eighty seven, he took over for Marky Ramone, the band's second drummer, after Marky was fired ironically because of his alcoholism.
Speaker 5: Talk about drinking here I remember it well, yeap.
Speaker 2: Now. At first, Richie performed under the stage name of Richie bo b Ea You, before adopting the Ramone surname in time for the release of his first Ramones album, the band's eighth studio LP called Too Tough to Die, and it's the first of three studio albums that he appears on. Richie is the only Ramones drummer to be the sole composer of a Ramone song. Now the other two drummers they collaborated, but Richie wrote these all on his own. He wrote several actually, including Somebody puts Something in My Drink, which is found on their nineteen eighty six album Animal Boy. Now. Rumor has it that the song is based on an actual incident where he was given a drink spiked with LSD and he was out on a date with Frankie Valley's daughter. What could go wrong?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 4: What a night? Get it? Get any?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 4: Pause for laughter and continue now.
Speaker 2: Richie recorded his version of the song for his twenty thirteen solo album entitled entitled, which is the version we're about to hear. So grab a glass, drink up, but just be careful. We never know what might be in there.
Speaker 9: Somebody, somebody putting somebody another nice add on a joy stuff it fun my usual set.
Speaker 2: To please.
Speaker 8: Spot with a joy.
Speaker 9: I don't blacket it's a colored pig.
Speaker 8: I'm actual staying scene.
Speaker 10: It's not a bier. Somebody or something. Somebody would something in the back trick somebody or something somebody Wood chopper.
Speaker 9: Land fission, Janny thoughts film offenses many straw feel something.
Speaker 8: Come on, I can't put.
Speaker 9: You back, swam the floor, drag sack drink.
Speaker 8: Drink some more. I can't say.
Speaker 7: By what's that drink.
Speaker 10: Some fire or shopper, somebody WoT some sack and back trick, samphire or something. Somebody wood chump say.
Speaker 2: The back drink, chambre ort, somefer.
Speaker 10: Some by wood shop say the back drink.
Speaker 8: Somebody but supper.
Speaker 2: In that say.
Speaker 10: In that tray.
Speaker 1: In bat.
Speaker 2: In my drug.
Speaker 10: I can't fonder for college break going to say for something and drug.
Speaker 8: I feel a little dry.
Speaker 10: I don't care what your fucking for.
Speaker 7: Somebody put something in my drug.
Speaker 11: I can't think.
Speaker 12: Why what's in that?
Speaker 10: Somebody but somewhere else some night it would some sa in Matre, Somebud Soper, somebody WoT Soffer, a major sub cat Sper sun By, WoT Soler, Mantri sun By or Soper.
Speaker 12: In mad.
Speaker 1: In back.
Speaker 13: In Ma.
Speaker 8: Ma Ma, magine.
Speaker 4: The magic.
Speaker 10: Some fat Soffer, some viney wood Soufer, major Sam butter boat Soffer, some Babo Solfer and Majory, some butter boat Sofer, somebody WoT Soffer Mado.
Speaker 2: I can't tell whether he's happy about it or mad about it, but maybe a little of both now. Richie quit the Ramones abruptly in August of nineteen eighty seven due to financial conflicts. Richie said he had asked for a small percentage of the merchandise income that is, basically you know, the T shirts, the T shirt money that bore his name and image. Now, while admitting he didn't feel entitled to an equal share as he was not a founding member of the band, he did feel cheated when the other members would cash their merchandise checks while he sat there with nothing. Now. These conflicts were mostly with guitarist Johnny Ramone, as the other members apparently didn't really object, and there were also issues over production credits as well, again with Johnny. Ultimately, Richie was replaced by his predecessor, Markey. They brought him back after he got sober, and he remained in the band Mark He did until the band retired in nineteen ninety six. After releasing Entitled, Richie released two more solo LPs, one called Cellophane in twenty sixteen and another Lived to Tell in twenty twenty three. In twenty eighteen, he published his autobiography I Know Better Now my life before, during, and after the Ramones, and I Know Better Now is another one of the songs he wrote for the band. Somebody Put Something in My Drink has since been covered by a number of other punk bands, and has also been featured in a couple of movies as well. In two thousand and seven, this is pretty interesting, Richie debuted a classical composition called Sweet for drums and orchestra with the Pasadena Pops, and it was based on themes from the musical West Side Story. So not too shabby for a punk drubber No.
Speaker 4: No elegant.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: Along with the three Ramone studio albums, the third being nineteen eighty seven's Halfway to Sanity. By the Way, Richie also appears on numerous Ramone's Greatest Hits compilations, and he also played on Joey Ramone's second posthumous solo LP and Yes, I know You're all wondering, and I know some of you know. Of course, I got to see Richie play with the Ramones a few times, and once right here in our own Rockland County in Mount Ivy, back in nineteen eighty four, a place called the Expo and I think they tore it down and built a diner anyway, And I know I've seen him perform with his own band a few times, along with a couple of the Cranbones here many times with Mercedes, and we even dragged Brian along one time too. I think he's almost gotten over the shock.
Speaker 4: I had a great night. That was awesome. I got a sign drumstick to chat with him a little bit. That was a good night.
Speaker 2: It was. It was really cool.
Speaker 4: Now I will never reach the coolness factor of Neil and Mercedes. Obviously I was. I made the tricycle that was the third wheel. But that's okay. I'll take what I can get.
Speaker 2: It all counts, it all counts, And finally, Richie continues to perform, and he's currently one of the three surviving members of the band, the other two being Markeye and bassist CJ. Ramone. So remember, don't drink and drive and go to a concert.
Speaker 4: Thank you excellent.
Speaker 5: I cannot listen to any version of that song without thinking of a friend of mine who used to go to Ceegb's all the time. And I don't know what band he was there to see, but he was there one night with his girlfriend. Now he lived down the Jersey Shore somewhere, so when they left, they had to drive home and they actually woke up on the median of the turnpike.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But they woke up intact, intact, I hope. Yeah, them and whatever vehicles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's a night of bad decisions.
Speaker 7: Somebody put something in their drink.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely, wow, alcohol alcohol for one, No, for real?
Speaker 2: Something oh really really?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah yeah from the area. The Jersey Turnpike at some places is like four or five six lanes wide. And they're in the media in the Wow. Okay, yeah, that's well.
Speaker 2: I remember they used to you know, they used to serve tap be you know in pictures. I would for many reasons, I never ordered that. I always had something, you know, that was like like a bottle can. Yeah, for sure. It just it just didn't seem like a good idea.
Speaker 4: And in college, one of the downtown bars used to do dollar beer nights, but you brought your own container, and just that week, the hardware store at the other end of the street would sell bird baths on sale, So you would actually have guys walking around this bar carrying bird baths.
Speaker 5: I think that's hilarious.
Speaker 4: I was DJing. I was not a bird bath participant.
Speaker 5: So how much does a bird bath hold I don't know in pictures.
Speaker 2: It was a lot in bird bird bath.
Speaker 1: Of beer bourbon. You could take it anywhere you want.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not going to brag, but that was the sort of class I was in, you know, before retiring, of course. Yeah, but I never thought of using a bird bath.
Speaker 4: But I don't know who came up with it, but they made the most of it.
Speaker 2: All him that if it was new, not an old bird bath.
Speaker 4: No, I mean not no, these were new bird baths from.
Speaker 2: Swipe swipe one off of somebody's Oh god, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, well, you know maybe after enough never mind, never mind, you can use it.
Speaker 4: After for whatever. But yes, when you're done drinking out of.
Speaker 5: It, that alcohol disinfects it.
Speaker 4: No no, still still no, no, it could be one green alcohol and there's still not Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well this was all before bird flew and all that stuff, so I might have been no never mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, birds have been since the dawn of time, so there is no good way to.
Speaker 2: Buy your bird baths.
Speaker 7: Conversation South real fast, are you surprised.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure it's going to get worse we're talking about.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, Actually, Barbara, you're up. So you get to decide high brow low brow? Which way are we going to go?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, all right, so yeah, the song about drinking that I have chosen, it's called the Scotsman. We're gonna hear the rendition by Brian Bowers, and I'm going to talk about him a little bit later, but for right now, I want to talk about the guy that wrote the song, Mike Cross. He was born October twenty fifth, nineteen forty six, in Maryville, Tennessee. He grew up in North Carolina, and he's an American musician, singer, songwriter, fiddler, guitarist, and storyteller. His musical works are a blend of bluegrass, Celtic influences, country rock, folk, and pop, but he's best known for his humorous songs. However, his diehard fans are quick to point out that his serious songwriting is just as impressive as his comedy. Cross was inducted into the Blue Ridge Music Hall of Fame in two thousand and nine in recognition of his contributions to Appalachian and North Carolina music. Although he never achieved mainstream success, and it's unknown exactly when Cross wrote The Scotsman, but it's believed to be sometime during the nineteen seventies because the recording we will now hear was released in nineteen eighty by Brian Bauers on his album Home Home on the Road. So before we continue with details about Bowers, let's hear its brief.
Speaker 7: It's very short.
Speaker 1: Let's hear his version of the Scotsman.
Speaker 2: Now well.
Speaker 12: Scotsman planned and killed, left the bar wan even fair, and one could tell how he walked, and he drunk more than his share. He fumbled around until he could no longer keep his feet, and he stumbled off to the grass to sleep beside this street, ringing it a little lady ringed Lisle. He stumbled off to the grass to sleep beside this tree. About that time to the young and lovely girls. Just happened by one says to the other, with the twinkle in her eye, see on sleeping Scotsman, so strong and handsome, Bill. I wonder rivage's true? What they don't wear beneath the.
Speaker 11: Kilt, ringing it a little lady ring nordedly eye.
Speaker 12: Oh wow, wonder rivage's true. What they don't wear beneath the kilt. They crept upon that sleeping Scotsman quiet as could be lifted up as killed about and if so they could see and their all for them. Of you beneath this god is skirt was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his bird ringing, that a little lad ring nordedly eye, oh, was nothing more than God had graced him with upon his birth. They marveled for a moment. Then one said we must be gone. Let's leave a present for our friend before we move along. As a gift, they left their blue silk ribbon tied into a bowl around the bunny star. The scots kilted lyft dunshow.
Speaker 11: Ringing did a little ladio ring nadii isle around the bunny star.
Speaker 12: The scots kilted lyft dun show. Now the Scotsman wolf to nature's call and stumble towards the trees behind the bushy lifts his kilt and cock said what he sees and there the startle boys, He says to what's before his eyes off, lad, I don't know where you've in Budaseo. One first priss ringing did a little ladio ring nadali isle a lad I don't.
Speaker 11: Know where you've embudasyo one first part, okay, the.
Speaker 1: Pews of would happen if you drink so much you pass out? Let that be a lesson to all of us. So the song is done in a classic folk storytelling format, with a simple narration, a memorable chor a punchline. And it was frequently requested on the Doctor Demento Show and often made the show's top five, known as the Funny Five. And just to put it out there, my next show I'm working on for Shaving Cream will be a tribute to Doctor Demento's Funny Five. So Bowers is also known as an auto harp player. You can find pictures of it online, and the auto harp. He's actually credited with introducing the instrument to generations of musicians. And he's kind of more famous for playing the auto harp than he is for that song. And he was inducted into the Auto Harp Hall of Fame in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 4: Oh he's the other guy, all right, gotcha?
Speaker 1: Which I think is almost as funny as the song is.
Speaker 6: So there you have it.
Speaker 4: Where is the Auto hart Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: The I don't know if there's a physical.
Speaker 4: Some spare bedroom in the back.
Speaker 1: It's probably in some janitor's closet.
Speaker 4: And some building somewhere. I never even heard of it.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I was trying to find more info on it, but I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I'm not. I would definitely go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would go to the Auto Heart Hall of Fame, and you would marvel at this gentleman howers that he actually has his name somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can only imagine the gift shop.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sorry, Okay, all right, thank you for.
Speaker 7: You left me speechless with that.
Speaker 1: When I'm sitting here trying to picture all the things I could pross, possibly purchase and all, Yeah, gift shot.
Speaker 4: Key chain, it would be very very difficult.
Speaker 2: They have a whole, a whole section of Blue River.
Speaker 14: I was gonna say that.
Speaker 2: You just beat me to it.
Speaker 4: Killed kilts and key chains.
Speaker 2: And blue being being being of part, you know, part Scottish descent. You know, I've got a whole trophy case of those.
Speaker 14: Are they all blue?
Speaker 2: Neil, I'll never tell.
Speaker 4: That's for another show.
Speaker 2: One that was that was a loaded question. I justn't know. It's a family show. I'm going to stop right there.
Speaker 4: Yep, And if we haven't scared Linda off yet, we're gonna try.
Speaker 6: The song reminded me of you know, the World Cup is going on now and the Scots keep drinking Boston dry.
Speaker 2: Yes you want to.
Speaker 4: They came over on except for the bud light. Except the bud light. They have bud light light, Yes they would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so last week we did.
Speaker 1: Brian hates the bagpipes, and so I went to the other side of the coin where we have scotsman but no bagpipes, and there you go, say thank you, Brian, thank you.
Speaker 4: All Right, we're gonna take a real quick break and we're gonna be back with more. So go hit the restroom while you can and get another round, then join us in a few minutes. We'll be right back. Hudson River Radio dot Com. Your dad likes us.
Speaker 5: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 4: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side to Hudson River Radio dot Com and welcome back. So uh, I'm partial to old fashions myself. I have to admit, you know, I.
Speaker 14: Tried to.
Speaker 4: Ever had never had heard about need to try, so that that's kind of my default, that a nice porter of stout, something along those lines. I'm not a big beer drinker.
Speaker 1: I like the dark beer, the stouts.
Speaker 9: I like those.
Speaker 4: I would rather go with those.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I have a lot of friends that love the I pas and all that, and they smell like paint thinner to me. I can't even try.
Speaker 2: I retired. I retired before all that I PA stuff came out. Yeah it was. It was never you know, it was it was imported beer, but not not, you know, so I missed out on a whole Well.
Speaker 4: I like the crappier places, like checking out the breweries and all that, you know, just just checking out how it's done and checking out the local business kind of thing that I like. But yeah, I'm not big on all the all the weird smelling stuff. I don't know. All right, Linda, get me out of this hole. What do you drink?
Speaker 13: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 14: Sure?
Speaker 6: Well I had about two hours notice for this, Joe, uh huh, And I was like, what do I know about drinking songs?
Speaker 7: Rocking about? What I do know is my wheelhouse is the thirties and forties.
Speaker 6: So I said to Brian, look, I've got a really favorite drinking song if you don't mind something from the forties, So he said, go with it. So I am cocktails for two, but not just any version. The song was originally written by Arthur Johnson and Sam Coslow, and it debuted in the nineteen thirty four movie Murder at the Vanities, which was a pre code musical if.
Speaker 7: You know what that means, yes, anything goes essentially.
Speaker 6: It was performed by Danish actor singer Carl Brisson, who, before he became an actor singer, was a European champion prize fighter, so that was a nice transition. Stopped getting punched in the face and got to do, you know, musicals with attractive women. Also in this movie was a song performed by Gertrude Michael called Sweet Marijuana.
Speaker 7: But that's probably for another show.
Speaker 6: I'll be back when you do the Okay marijuana pace shows. Also in nineteen thirty four, Duke Ellington did a wildly popular version of it. It was the second biggest hit of nineteen thirty four. Tommy Dorsey did a swing version in thirty eight. Bing Crosby had a very popular version in nineteen fifty five, and in nineteen sixty one Ray Charles and Betty Carter did a very nice version of it, so it was kind of an old standard. But by far and away, my favorite version, because I'm a little twisted, is from nineteen forty four.
Speaker 7: The Spike Jones and his City Slickers.
Speaker 14: Version my favorite two all right.
Speaker 6: Carl Grayson did the vocals. Spike Jones was born in nineteen eleven as Lindley Armstrong Jones, but he was as thin as a railroad spike, so that's how he got his name. At a young age, a railroad chef taught him how to play music on pots and pens and.
Speaker 7: Forks and spoons, so.
Speaker 6: He had an interesting ear for percussion instruments at a very early age. We all know about music appreciation. Well, he started touring the country with what he called his musical depreciation review.
Speaker 7: And spoof songs. He really, you know, weird. Al Yankovic is the modern day version of.
Speaker 6: Spike Jones, but Spike Jones was really the one who I think pretty much.
Speaker 7: Started it all.
Speaker 6: His first big spoof hit was Defurro's Face, and he thought it's a flash in the pen, it will fade, but people just kept asking for more and more. So in forty four, they did their version of Cocktails for two. It was number four on the charts and the writer Sam Coslow he hated this version what Spike Jones did to it, but he hated it all the way to the bank because he made a butt load of royalties off of it. And believe it or not, in nineteen and excuse me, twenty twenty six, this song was selected by the Library of Congress to enter the National Recording Registry as a cultural, historical or esthetic importance in the nation's recording sound heritage.
Speaker 7: What why don't we play it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 10: Be given the right once again, respectively, King like several days and then.
Speaker 2: No longer.
Speaker 4: Charming scene line.
Speaker 15: In some secluded run that overlooks the avenue with someone sharing a delight chaplenge this bad cocktails batoon as we enjoy a cigarette to some exquisite chancel. No, two hands are sure too slyly me need the servian with cocktails platoon.
Speaker 4: My head made a gread.
Speaker 13: But my heart will be all The idiot.
Speaker 15: With intoxicated kiss is for the principle ingredients. Mosteady afternoon at five, we'll be so glad we're both alive. Then maybe fortune will complete plan.
Speaker 7: That all began with cocktails, balloon.
Speaker 2: Leto letop.
Speaker 15: Most any afternoon at fin we'll be so glad we're both alive.
Speaker 13: Then maybe fortune will complete her plan at all began with concass.
Speaker 7: Isn't that the ultimate drinking song?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I had to tie in some rock and roll history.
Speaker 2: I think somebody spiked their drinking.
Speaker 7: Yes, definitely.
Speaker 6: Spike was a huge influence on of course, Weird Out, Frank Zappa, Elvis Costello, the band, The list goes on and on a very heavy influence on Oingo Boingo.
Speaker 14: So you know, rock and roll history is not didn't didn't come out of uh nowhere.
Speaker 4: It had precedence and absolutely absolutely to do something silly like that or funny is so much harder than it sounds. It takes such skill to make it sound so informal and loose, but it's tough to end. They were doing that in the days of opera. Mozart wrote stuff that was funny, you know, and to pull that off is not easy.
Speaker 2: Well, that particular recording too, that was done way before you know, any kind of digital editing or sampling. They had to do that pretty much on the fly live No, Yeah, you're on yeah, luck, Yeah, so what I mean, Yeah, it was a lot harder to create than you know now you think, oh yeah, you're just you know, cutt and paste and pro too. They didn't have that stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh I missed up that hiccup too over yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you screwed up the very last hiccup, you had to do the whole thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was up on Cripple Creek by the band that refers to that song right in the lyrics. Yes, yeah, where she says I I.
Speaker 2: Spike Jones on the box.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but she says I, I oh the way he plays, but I love the way I love to hear it.
Speaker 10: Hear it talk.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: So you know that's sorry rock and roll history fans, but that's my call.
Speaker 4: It was perfect.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. That's one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: I was so happy when I saw that you were doing this.
Speaker 4: Excellent. All right, thank you, Linda Mercedes. Your turn. Oh boy, you know it's going to be good.
Speaker 5: Well, I am taking this in a whole different direction, and I'm not going to apologize for it. By the way, I really liked this song.
Speaker 4: Did anybody ask.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm just defending myself before you start in all right, fair enough. I heard the song in a step of Robi's class of all places, and insisted that the teacher play it all the time because the music he typically plays is super fast and sometimes I can't keep up, So that became my song in the class. It is not a genre that I would typically go for, but now I just really like it. Hibouzi, Who's the artist, was born Collins Obina Chibueise in nineteen ninety five to Nigerian parents. His stage name comes from a childhood nickname that began when his high school football coach at Virginia mispronounced his Nigerian last name and wrote Shaboozi on his helmet. Chibwese is an Igboo word that means God is king. His music combines country, Americana and hip hop. The song we are talking about today is a bar song, and then in parentheses Tipsy, which spent nineteen weeks on top of the Billboard Hot one hundred, tied with Little Nazex's Old Town Road. I know you all familiar with that as then as the then longest running Hot one hundred top Hot one hundred number one song of all Time. Chibuz Chubwezi was born and raised in Why do I keep pronouncing that differently?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 4: That's what the coach did and just wrote it down wrong and the helmet.
Speaker 5: He was born and raised in Woodbridge, Virginia r Junior High School. He spent two years at a boarding school in Nigeria and then graduated high school in the US. Although he originally aspired to be a writer, in twenty fourteen, Chaboozi founded V Picture Films, a film production company, with the goal of becoming a writer, director, and producer. In twenty eighteen, Chaboozi was asked by Duckworth, an American rapper who I'm sure you're familiar with, to sing the hook for the song Start a Riot. It went so well that Shaboozi was also asked to sing the second verse. The song, released in December twenty eighteen, was included in the soundtrack to Spider Man Into the Spider Verse and led to national recognition for Shaboozi. In January twenty twenty four, he was asked to sing a bar song with Beyonce after she heard the then unreleased song, and it was released on her twenty twenty four album Cowboy Carter Chaboozi has told reporters that he was exposed to country music by his Nigerian father, who quote unquote embodies Americana while holding on to his roots. He also said that he was inspired by his father's cowboy style of dress and love of country music. There's something really endearing I find about that. The opening line sets up the story, my baby want a burken She's been telling me all night long. This of course refers to the Burken bag, which is a status symbol with prices ranging from ten thousand dollars to five hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: That's ridiculous. It's a big ridiculous. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 14: What's What's it made out of diamonds?
Speaker 5: Now, it's just leather.
Speaker 4: But it was partly, Uh, it was unicorn.
Speaker 5: It's Hermes, the designer and Jane Berkin, the actress, came together to design this bag.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's a very big deal.
Speaker 4: Ridiculous.
Speaker 5: So the character in the song decides, because he's never going to be able to afford one, to stop working his butt off and go drinking with his friends.
Speaker 4: Good for him.
Speaker 14: Let's hear a bar song.
Speaker 8: Baby found burkey.
Speaker 16: She's been telling me all my lost.
Speaker 8: Grouse lease go songs five, work moody, hell do our work so hard? I can't very bound my problem. I can't tell you hey go when I'm gonna one.
Speaker 4: Here, here comes two.
Speaker 8: Set the three to the far, sell them bringing another rout. We need to let anymore thro stepping on the table. She don't need to dance for Oh mind, good lord, say I'm gonna come here with a double shot of whiskey.
Speaker 1: They't what mean?
Speaker 10: Jack Damn's gotta his street.
Speaker 16: There's a party downtown near Fifth Street. Everybody had the barget. Everybody had the barkin. Everybody had the barget.
Speaker 8: I've been bully since I left. I ain't changing fortune. Tell my mind, I forget wat trunk. At ten am, we gonna do this begin Tell your girl to bring a friend. Oh lord, one here comes two, to the three to the part. Tell them bring another round.
Speaker 1: We need to any more.
Speaker 8: Don't stepping on the table. She don't need a dance floor. Oh my good lord, some I'm gonna put me up a double shadow.
Speaker 10: His son say on me and Jack Dale's gotta his streets.
Speaker 16: There's a party downtown near fifth Streets. Everybody had the.
Speaker 10: Bar get test Street.
Speaker 8: Everybody had to bargain tip.
Speaker 16: Everybody had the bargain tips ships.
Speaker 4: Fine, he comes the two to the three to the four.
Speaker 8: When this last call in, the chickens out of the dark skin kind of lay. But the ladies want some morn Oh my good lord, tell him drink something some I'm gonna put me up a double shadow.
Speaker 16: With shoe they on me and Jack Dale's got a history.
Speaker 8: There's a party downtown near Fifth Street. Everybody he had the barket test some.
Speaker 16: I'm gonna come me up a double shadow.
Speaker 5: Listen, So the line is everybody at the bar getting tipsy. I really thought it was everybody at the bar can kiss me? Visual to me, it's hilarious. I find this song fascinating because the song has a cross has crossover appeal obviously, and give me played for a wide demographic. It flows like a hip hop song and sounds like a pop country song. Which which is which are the two most popular genres of the US. Apparently, Yeah, apparently he was influenced by again Little Naza's ex song Old Town Road and if you remember.
Speaker 4: That one, I couldn't escape it. Whether you liked it or not.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I have no idea what it is actually.
Speaker 4: There are so many versions of it out there, and it was just you try to avoid it. And I had not heard it until Yeah, once was enough. Writing this up once or twice was enough, and then that was enough.
Speaker 5: That song, like I said, spent little Naza song spent seventeen sorry nineteen weeks on the Billboard Top one hundred, and Billboard reports that a bar song is the first single to crack the top ten on the magazines. I don't know any of these magazines pop airplay, Country airplay, Adult pop airplay, and rhythmic airplay charts. In those last two formats are stations that play current pop for adult audiences and those that play a mix of R and B, rap and dance respectively. I don't know. There's a ton of YouTube videos demonstrating the dance for this song. So if anybody wants to go thine dancing with me sometime, let me know because I've been working on it.
Speaker 4: Good to know, all right.
Speaker 5: If you I read somewhere that if you you know in song facts, I think it was if you google shaboozy, that the screen will tilt because it's tipsy. It didn't work for me, but I think that's a very cool idea. Anyway, how do you like me?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 4: I like country. I'm probably more a country fan than any of the Cranbones. I know, Linda runs away when you say grand ol Opry, she goes no and goes running in the other directions. Same same, Yeah, it's a catchy song. What kills it for me is that it's auto tuned to perfection and it just robs it of the musicality for me. You know, it's a catchy song, it's it's easy to learn. That's the kind of song that you can just jam on. Anybody could pick up a guitar, four chords and it's a lot of fun. But that production is just too perfected for me. That's That's kind of what the only negative thing I would have to say about it fair.
Speaker 5: It's it's good for a step class.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you that is like, you know, Linda runs away from opry. Guess what I run away from? So we don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't it be for a twelve step.
Speaker 5: So everybody in the bar can kiss me? That's all I had to say.
Speaker 4: What you wish for Get Your Bird bathkeet in Line. All right, that was a good one.
Speaker 2: I do like that song.
Speaker 4: So all right, thanks Mercedes. One more quick break and we have one more selection to go, so stick around.
Speaker 7: This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 4: Hudson Riverradio dot Com. All right, I'm going back early, not quite as early as Linda, but we're going to go back to the nineteen fifties. We're going to be talking about Joseph Amos Milburn, who was born in Houston, Texas in nineteen twenty seven. One of thirteen kids. That's more than two Brady Bunches, two Brady Bunches and an Oliver. He's from a black family. He started playing the piano at age five and enlisted in the US Navy at fifteen, back when they let you do that. He played music in the service during World War Two, and after being discharged, he went back to Houston and put together a sixteen piece band and played the clubs around the city. He was going by Amos Milburn at this point and he dropped to Joseph. Milburn's legacy and influence comes from those years right after World War Two. During the war, sophisticated jazz combos and the big bands. That's what was popular. The big band sounds Billie Holliday, Ben Crosby started getting popular, like the Andrews Sisters with the vocal harmonies. Know Boogie Woogee b Google Boy, that was a huge hit. Milburn went a step further into what is called the jump Blue style, which was louder, It was more energetic, It was focused more on rhythm, and the singer became the center of attention. Mostly in big bands, the singer was just part of the group, kind of stood in line with everybody else. Now the singer was more out front, which is kind of what we see in rock and roll as time goes forward. Milburn's style heavily influenced other musicians, the most famous of which would be Fats Domino. We've talked a lot about Fats Domino and how Fats Domino in turn influenced a lot of early rock and roll Jerry Lee Lewis and all that kind of stuff. So from playing in the Houston clubs Amos, Milburn got a record contract with Aladdin Records in Los Angeles. He recorded around eighty songs with them. He was very popular playing around Los Angeles, and he did well on tour with his full band, and since the style of music was about energy, having a good time, having lots of fun, a lot of the songs he did were about drinking and partying. Because go with what you Know, right, one of his best songs and best known songs, I should say, came out in nineteen fifty three. That is the one we're going to come back to in just a couple minutes. To be fair, he himself had a good time, but he did not have a drinking problem. He just sang about them. He did not really participate, but he was performing.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 4: Now, around that time, while touring, he decided to drop the band and continue as a solo act. He did well on tour still, but after about three years of touring, around nineteen fifty eight, he decided to go back to Houston and reform the band. Unfortunately, now his style was kind of falling out of favor because this is when early rock and roll was starting to really catch on. Nineteen fifty eight was when Johnny be Good by Chuck Berry came out Rumble by Link Ray, both of which put the electric guitar front and center and the piano was kind of going to the side. The piano and the saxophone. We're kind of going to the side. The Everly Brothers came out with new vocal harmonies. Some guy named Elvis was starting to get popular. I think he probably did okay for himself as time went on, but Milburn kept playing. His final recording happened in nineteen seventy seven, but by then he had suffered a stroke that affected his left side, so he could only play piano with his right hand. And what was cool when he was performing, other people in the band would actually come up and play the left hand part for him, which is the bass part and on the piano, So he would be playing the right hand, he'd be singing, and other people would walk up and just kind of fill in the left hand parts, which I think is awesome. That is musicianship as far as I'm concerned right there. Later on, he would have a second stroke that resulted in a leg amputation because of circulation problems, and an unfortunate third stroke was the fatal one for him. Amos Milburn died in nineteen eighty at age fifty two and was buried in the Houston National cemetery now. The famous Milburn song that We're going to Hear was one that he did not write himself. It was written by Rudy Toomes, who wrote a number of songs, mostly in the nineteen fifties. Rudy himself was murdered in the hallway of his apartment building in Harlem, kind of cut down in his prime. Who knows what may have come after. But the name of this song is one Scotch, one Bourbon, one beer. The singer is in a bar trying to forget his girlfriend who went off somewhere. Who knows. The bartender just wants to close up, but the singer just keeps going on and keeps ordering one Scotch, one bourbon, one beer. It was on the charts for fourteen weeks in nineteen fifty three, which is pretty good. In nineteen sixty six, John Lee Hooker remade the song his way, changing the style into a Southern boogie and simplifying the lyrics. He changed the title to one Bourbon, one Scotch, one beer, which is how you may recognize it. A little bit more you may come to mind. And in nineteen seventy seven, George Thorogood remade the John Lee Hooker version. He added the story from another Hooker song, House Rent Boogies to explain the story. He gets kicked out of his apartment for not paying rent, so out the door he went. You may recognize that line from the George thurgood YEP. So he actually put two songs together to John Lee Hooker songs to make what would be the most famous version of the song. But it's two steps removed from the original nineteen fifty three Amos Milburn song One Scotch, one bourbon, one euro. Let's go back to the original and check it out.
Speaker 17: One Scotch, one bourbon, one Scotch, one bourbon.
Speaker 8: One bell.
Speaker 3: Breaths the bard and listening here, I need give the trouble, so have no f one scotchip, one burbon one. Now I don't want soda, no bubble.
Speaker 2: Come.
Speaker 3: You got what I'm won't, so please serve me some. Since my business been everything's lost, I'm on this kick and I get it off.
Speaker 7: One Scotch, one burber, one b.
Speaker 17: One Scotch, one bourbon, one.
Speaker 11: Breezes the barden.
Speaker 3: Listen. Yeah, I ain't dere for trouble, though I have no idea or one scotch, one burbery.
Speaker 17: Now my woman, she's started me on the street.
Speaker 3: I can't find her and she can't find me.
Speaker 17: She left this morning, said she wouldn't stay.
Speaker 3: She's been out all night and it's a break of day.
Speaker 17: One Scotch, one burber onondy, one scotch.
Speaker 4: One burber, one deer, being.
Speaker 3: Mistabad and listening. I ain't here for trouble, though, I have noe or one scotching.
Speaker 17: One burber, one.
Speaker 3: Oh well, one monvanda, make it strong.
Speaker 2: I got to find my baby, for.
Speaker 8: Tics are not long.
Speaker 17: One scotch, one burbon on, one scotch, one bourbon, one.
Speaker 3: Be as debard and listen here. I ain't here for trouble, so have no fear.
Speaker 17: One scotch, one burbon, one one scotch, one burbe.
Speaker 4: You can hear where Fats Domino got his influence from.
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was great. I love that kind I could sit back and listen to that all day. It's fun to play that kind of stuff too. So before the emails come in, we all know what beer is fermented grains and yeast. So what is the difference between scotch and bourbon? Someone should explain it, and I have it right here. The definition of bourbon. It's made in the US. It must contain fifty one percent corn in the mash and is aged in new charred oak barrels. There is no additional flavoring allowed. Scotch is made in Scotland from malted barley and it's aged at least three years in what is called mature oak caskets, meaning that the caskets were previously previously used to mature something else like wine or sherry or bourbon, and it gets some of the flavor from that. So Scott, did I say malted barley, Yes, malted barley. Malted means the grain is soaked in water and the grain is a lot to sprout, and then it's dried and then it's used to ferment. I didn't know that. I had to look that that.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I don't know what molten meant. So yeah, it's like the little grain is just trying and nope, you get dried out and then you get turned into something glorious as far as I am concerned, and ultimately you get made into an old fashion, which makes me very happy. So there you have it.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember something called a boiler maker, which you take it a mug of beer and drop a shot I guess a bourbon in it, and then just like drink it really fast. Yeah, yeah, that's I did that maybe once or twice, and I was like, oh no, no, no more no.
Speaker 5: And what's the other one?
Speaker 4: A car bum There's a few like that that you know, designed to you know, guzzle it isn't it. There's like a doctor pepper something, but there's a combination of two things that make it taste like like a beer and something that make it tastes like a doctor pepper. But if it's about chugging, it's not for me.
Speaker 2: It took me by surprise that I'll say, yeah, I wasn't. Oh how bad could it be? And oh boiler maker is that's right on the money that turns your stomach into a oh yeah no.
Speaker 4: No, I am such a lightweight that no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 5: So my question about that is do you not get hit in the nose with the shotglass?
Speaker 2: M I don't think you could feel it after that, but I don't remember that happening. But I was more like, all of a sudden, I thought my head was going to explode that. That was my pro got out, and I.
Speaker 5: Was always afraid to try it because I don't want to get hit in the nose with that.
Speaker 2: I can understand that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, it wasn't a country song in that I got hit in the nose with a shocklass.
Speaker 2: I'm writing this.
Speaker 13: Down.
Speaker 4: I got hit in the nose with a shockglass.
Speaker 2: So I just stick to a Harvey wallbanger. So yeah, that was a while ago.
Speaker 4: Is there a difference between dropping the shotglass in it or just pouring whatever's in the shotglas? No, well they I know, it's like I guess this is part of the experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it starts to actually churn it really, you know it it bubbles, you know, it doesn't. Yeah, it lives up to its.
Speaker 4: U We should have found a bartender to join us for this one to answer all these questions. I didn't think of that. We may have to do that next time we do this topic, definitely, Yeah, all right, but for now I think it's a it's a good time to pull the plug and go out and have a good time, enjoy the weekend.
Speaker 5: What do you think sounds good?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 4: All right, excellent, So we are out of here. Thank your bones as always for excellent selections. Linda, thank you so much for joining us and adding your expertise. I like the early stuff too, I like the forties, so yeah, pah great. I'm glad you're here, and thank you all for joining us for the rock and roll history showed up to get to subscribe in your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows we do at Hudson River Radio because there is something for everybody. We will see you next week with another brand new episode, the follow up two beverages. What happens next we will see so join us then. Until then, have a great weekend. Happy fourth of July for those in the US for those outside the US, Happy fourth of July anyway, it's just not a holiday for you. Look an I say, you still have July fourth. We'll see you then, every great weekend. Peace out, everybody, come a rock, cop.
Speaker 14: Bottom and rum.
Speaker 4: Okay, Bye bye. Hudson Riverradio dot com a subsidiary of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful the multi hundred dollar corporations