Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you from spring training in Goodyear, Arizona. We're at the Guardian Spring Training Complex where this afternoon they will take on the San Diego Padres. This is our final show from spring training. How about that flew by as it always does. As our next show will come to you from Kansas City, the first weekend of the regular season, which begins with the opener on Thursday afternoon in KC. Big show for you today. In a little bit, we'll hear from Carl Willis, the longtime pitching coach for then the Cleveland Indians and then now the Cleveland Guardians. We'll also hear from Gavin Williams, who's had an impressive spring. Kai Correa, who's the field coordinator but the coach who puts together these schedules daily for spring training and it is quite a test. So we'll talk to him about that among other things. But first we had a chance to visit with a longtime Cleveland Indian and now guardian Carlow Santana back for his third go round with the organization. This will be his sixteenth major League season. Ten have been spent with Cleveland, but not since twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: When we caught up with them earlier this week, he talked about some of the differences this time around.
Speaker 4: This a little bit chang especially they have a lot of jungle player to great talent. Dan he's gray. Yeah, he's a gundawn. Little memory to me in the past. What I'm gonna start here younger, But you know, we have to leave day to day. And now I'm be here and I'm happy, and I'll come back to my house the Cleveland warder now.
Speaker 2: And I remember last summer seeing you with the twins, and you had mentioned you thought maybe at some point you might come back or we're hoping to. What makes this special here? What makes Cleveland special to you?
Speaker 4: Especial because they give opportunity, UH start my career in Cleveland, and I play for a long time, Cleveland half in my heart for the rest of my life. I have good memory. Uh me and my family, UH fans support me. UH the office, my my shournal and Chris Antonetti. You know, Uh, they the first guy signed to my first contrast, So I mean I have a lot of memory to to Cleveland Warrior. Uh, and that's why I'm taking decision comeback.
Speaker 2: We're recording this interview in the clubhouse and your locker is right next to Jose Ramirez. You guys been friends for a long time. What's it been like to be back with him?
Speaker 4: He's happy, he's happy. He's the guy, the first guy, UH talk to me before Si'm here, you know, doing during the season. We're talking me and him a lot, and he's happy. You know, he's happy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: We have good relationships, me and him. So I'm happy. You know, I'm happy he learned to me. I longed to him about in general to the life. So I'm happy. You know, I'm happy and have uh ste Wi Josse. He's one of the best player in the league. I'm very happy, you know, play with him and play with all the all the team here.
Speaker 2: Carlos Santana joining US gold Glove winner a year ago. You've done a lot of things in your career. What did that mean to you to win a gold Glove?
Speaker 4: Something special for me, but more special to my mom. Uh, and I'm promo to to her before before she is so last year she asked me, uh, what you want? What do you have to do? And no, she told me. She asked me, what do you want, uh, before you retire? And I'm telling to think I want wing Wing World Series and wing gold Glove. That's why I'm using the the pink glove because this is my mom family colors, you know, And I'm doing doing he is? She happy? He's been me proud to me and and my mom and uh and the and the the gold glove when I'm wing his for my mom.
Speaker 2: When we first saw you, you were a catcher and he had a little bit of time at third base and then moved over the first What did you do to become a really good defensive first basement preparing.
Speaker 4: I'm working hard in the off season, I'm working hard, and the spin training and working hard. And the season.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I'm working. You know, I'm working my body. I'm working everything or try to keep it play, especially my age. You know, couple players they don't believe how what I look like to my age. But I'm the guy working hard. I prospect the gang. I've prospect my time. I prospect everybody. That's why I'm here.
Speaker 2: At the plate. Obviously, you're gonna try and put up the best numbers you can. How have you evolved as a hitter as the years have gone by? Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, for me, nothing change. You know, nothing change. Uh Cleveland, they summed back because they they they think or they know, Okay, I can help to the team making playoffs and make it to the World Series. So you know, we see this is some, but I think this is some. That's why I'm preparing for making gunnumbe and hold to my team making playoff, for making Winter the War Series. So you know, I'm thinking day to day. I'm thinking one day out of time and see what happen into the season. But everything he's positive now.
Speaker 2: Carlos, great to see, a great to have you back.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Always fun of visit with Carlos Santana and in his age thirty nine season, the Guardians counting on him to be a key at first base. Another key for the Guardians on the mound in the rotation Gavin Williams. After an injury plagued twenty twenty four campaign, Williams has been the talk of spring training in terms of the starting rotation, he has been absolutely terrific, and he says he's really happy with how things have gone so far this spring.
Speaker 7: Really please honestly, especially coming off last year. It's not definitely not what I expected and not what I wanted last year. So having won eighty from last year is going to be a good thing for me.
Speaker 2: And explain your off season, and maybe geography helped a little bit. Being close to Carl Willis. How often did you guys get together and what we're able to do.
Speaker 7: Probably thirty minutes from Carl, so I think it was once or twice a week whenever I would throw pins, and sometimes during touch play we come over or I would go out his way and throw and he would come out and watch me. And we just worked on a little things in the in the wind up and in the stretch, just trying to figure out some things. It helped me, I mean honestly helped me tremendously, especially where I'm.
Speaker 5: At right now.
Speaker 2: Maybe without getting too technical, what were some of the things that have allowed you to really take off here so far?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, just staying more upright with my back leg, not getting too deep, spinning out of it was the big thing last year, so I was getting two on my back toe, so it creates bad pitch profiles, and trying to throw a slider at times was more of a cutter, which didn't work out that well.
Speaker 2: So we see velocity readings and probably somewhat similar to a year ago in the upper nineties. But what's the difference with your fastball that that you're seeing early on in spring training.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the vertical movements definitely back, especially after like when I got drafted to now it's going back to where when I got drafted. That's a little bit higher. I don't want it to creak down any lower than what it is.
Speaker 2: And team wise, rotation wise, how much do you look forward to being with this group again and a Tanner, Biby and some of the others that are in the rotation.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's gonna be awesome, especially after the things some of the guys did last year, especially the bullpen guys looked phenomenal and what Biby did last year is insane. So I'm ready to be with everybody again.
Speaker 2: It's Gavin Williams seems primed for a big year in that Guardian starting rotation, stay with us. When we come back, we'll visit with field coordinator and also the defensive specialist for that Guardian's coaching staff, Hi Korea. That's next on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 8: With progressives Name your Price tool, you get coverage options based on how much you want to pay for car insurance, and then you decide how to spend the rest of your money because you're in charge today, You're gonna be don you're a credit card bill, but you decide when you'll pay it before the due date, so those interest charges don't get you, but you decide if you pay it in full, but you definitely should because again interest charges. With progressives, Name of your Price duel will help you find coverage at a fair price.
Speaker 6: And then you're in charge.
Speaker 8: Aggressive Casualty Insurance coming affiliate'sry Avermone else FASCE coverage man when my stay law.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim rosan Al back with you from Guardian Spring training in Goodyear, Arizona. It's winding down now and that means a little bit is off the plate for Kai Korea, who is a part of that major league coaching staff. He's the field coordinator and some of his specialties defense, base running, in game strategy. But this time of year he is extremely busy because he is the man responsible for the daily schedules for what at one point in time was close to one hundred players at the start of spring training. It has whittled down quite a bit since then. But when we caught up in them earlier this week, he said, it's no accident that things are running smoothly at this point the spring because of some of the planning that goes into it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Traditionally, I start building the spring training both like big peck pictures, monthly, weekly and daily schedules as far back as like mid November, and so I'll start churning out the drafts where they're kind of plotting things out, building curriculum, building infu and presentations for meetings. Way back when, I found that if you do that and you start early, it gives you the most tools in the two back to then go and be flexible once the spring begins.
Speaker 2: You did it last year, plan spring training, you're back again doing it this year. Any easier second year in the organization, or in your case, back in the organization from one year to the next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think anytime you repeat things, the ease comes from like the rest of the personnel's familiarity, right, They kind of know what they expect, and so there's just less surface level questions about why we're doing something or what comes next.
Speaker 2: When you look at your busiest time right now, it's starting to slow down a little bit as the roster thinds. But at the beginning of camp full roster plus depth camp, how many players are you responsible for to to get them to the right place at the right time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's something that we unique that we do here, which is an amazing part of our culture, putting everybody on under one roof, under one schedule through the you know, the start of February and into late February. And in that one though, you're talking about over just shy of one hundred players.
Speaker 2: Obviously, huge communication with Stephen Vote and the rest of the coaches. Ultimately, what's the most important thing that they want to see on a day to day basis from an organization standpoint, Well.
Speaker 3: I think you want to see a couple of things. You want to see the main things kept, the main things right, the things that are front and center that are featured in meetings, that are featured in activities when we all collide on one field, that are emphasized time and time again are the things that are going to lead to wins and losses in gameplay. So that's the first thing you want to see. The second thing you want to see is fluidity. You know, people bouncing from one activity to the next without lulls in the schedule, both from a workload standpoint, so you're not getting cold and hot and again, and then both from and from a respect and time standpoint. So I think those are the two priority that you're looking for when you're building a schedule that everyone wants to see.
Speaker 2: And maybe it's easy to look back on it now because of the success the team had a year ago, But how much do you think spring training had to do not only with the wins and losses, but the style of play this team had.
Speaker 3: I think spring training is an really important time to set the tone for a team's culture in regard to style of play.
Speaker 6: You have.
Speaker 3: Three four hours in a day to curate specific blocks to make things important, and I think if you consistently do so and justify why you're doing so, inevit inevitably they'll show up in your team style of play.
Speaker 2: Kay Kry is joining us. He's a field coordinator, puts together spring training defense based running game strategy. We're not too far from field too, which I feel like that's your classroom in spring training. Tell us what goes on there that makes this team a year ago one of the best defensive teams in baseball.
Speaker 3: No, that's really fun. I as well think about it as a classroom as well, and spring training being the closest thing to a baseball school, and that's why I love this time of year so much. But in terms of our defensive work, it starts first and foremost with how we acquire players. You don't get good at defense at the major league level if you don't acquire players at the minor league level and the major league level that are good defenders to begin with. And this organization does a great job identifying and developing those players in terms of in spring training in particular, our days kind of build up from all kinds of individual and custom work into position specific work and then into larger team concepts, and we build our defensive schedule much more like a NFL team would run a training camp, as opposed to a classic spring training in the way that it kind of funnels to a singular, singular point of emphasis on a given day.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting. Will Wilson, who's new to the organization during the drills, plays a lot at third base. He said, Jose Ramirez is invaluable to him this spring in terms of helping him get better. What does Hosey do out there that helps his teammates.
Speaker 3: Well, Hosey isn't afraid to provide feedback. Hosey isn't afraid to hold teammates accountable. He's a natural teacher. He's highly observant. He's got an elite memory and recall for previous plays and previous players, And so Will is right. Not only is he a great resource for Will, but he's a great resource for all of us.
Speaker 2: When you look back at a season ago, there's so many different metrics. One of them is defensive run saved, and I'm not sure which is the most important, but in that one, Cleveland was at or near the top all season long a year ago, and their top tier minor league teams have been at or near the top as well. How much does that philosophy filter down to what's going on at Columbus.
Speaker 3: And Acron, Yeah, very much so. One of our great strengths as an organization in terms of defensive play is alignment in regard to our beliefs in terms of positioning and positional versatility and taking care of the ball and promoting athleticism. And our minor league staff does an amazing job mirroring and enhancing the pregame routines, meetings and processes that we execute here at the major league level.
Speaker 2: Spring training is winding down. It do you miss it when when the season starts or is it time to kind of put it in the rearview mirror and get going with the season.
Speaker 3: No? No, for me, A year after year, it's almost the perfect amount of time.
Speaker 6: You're ready to get rolling.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: I feel like the cycle of a professional season is oddly appropriate. When the season's winding down and the postseason's there, you're ready to get home and see your family. And at the end of the off season you feel like you got that itch to get back the spring training, and a spring training winds down, you're ready to get it to the season. And so just when you get worn out or tired of something, the page turns intil the next chap.
Speaker 2: There good stuff there from Kai Korea, especially on that defensive side of things. As the Guardians, depending on who you look at in terms of defensive measurements, one of the tops in baseball a year ago, and they'll need to be again to be a factor in the Al Central. Another facet of the game that is so important to Cleveland, pitching and the pitching factory rolls on once again under the tutelage of Major League pitching coach Carl Willis. Back for another season. We'll talk to him about it next on the Cleveland Clinic. Guardians Radio Network. Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse back with you from Guardians Spring training in Goodyear, Arizona. Our final show this spring from here as the regular season begins on Thursday in Kansas City. Still some more baseball on the radio today though, as we'll join you from Goodyear Ballpark for the Guardians and padres Hammy has the first pitch four five. Once again. The Guardian's pitching coach is Carl Willis. Fifteenth season in the organization, twenty second overall in baseball. He's worked with five different Cy Young Award winners over the course of his outstanding career, and at this point in time in his career, he goes year to year in terms of whether he wants to continue or not. And when we caught up with them earlier in the spring, he talked about his reasons for returning this year to oversee that Guardian's pitching staff.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, Rosie, number ones of people and the organization. They've obviously been been very good to me, and you know, one of the first things that I asked them or we talked about at the end of the postseason, I really wanted to make sure that they feel I'm still the right guy for the job. Listen, the game has changed so much, and I have tried to, you know, stay abreast with a new technology and a different language of teaching and coaching. And yet, you know, as I tell some of the younger pitching coaches who played and at high levels, don't forget what you know because you've experienced how it is to be on the mount and maybe not have a pitch that day, or you know, physically not feeling you know, close to one hundred percent. So I just I don't want to overstay my welcome. I want to make sure that I'm giving the players the right information in a way that allows them to have success. And honestly, that's at the forefront of the decision each and every year. So you know, it's the people and and I really really want to be here when we raise that trophy, and I feel like it's unfinished business and hopefully, you know, we can have that happen soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting you mentioned blending things and trying to stay relevant. Do you ever think back to to when you were just breaking into the major leagues and what it took and what was available to you then compared to now how barebones was it when you were breaking in.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, back then, video was just becoming a thing, you know, like watching video. I know, talking when I was young to some older players, they was like, boy, I wish we'd have had this video, you know, to watch when when I first broke in, or a few years ago, when I was a little bit younger, I can remember, you know, we didn't have advanced meetings. I mean maybe there were a couple of guys you had an idea of what to do and what not to do. But these guys have everything at their fingertips now in terms of you can go as deep as you want to go in terms terms of not only yourself but the opponents, and you have to take advantage of that. But you also have to be mindful of who you are, what you do best. And you may see a guy can't hit a slider. Sometimes you have to check yourself and realize your slider may be your third best pitch, and so how are you going to compensate. You know, you don't want to throw your least effective pitch just because the hitter struggles with that. So I always use the term the art of pitching. We develop stuff, we develop great deliveries, or try to, but at the same time there's still that cat and mouse game of changing speeds, changing eye levels, throwing the different quadrants of the strike zone. That's an art of pitching and learning how to use the stuff that you've developed.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting the other day we're talking about preparation and obviously in spring training that the scouting reports aren't nearly as detailed. You're a pitching coach, you work with pictures, but you were saying that it's so important to have your catchers in a lot of these meetings and how much of a role can they play in helping a pitcher get through a game.
Speaker 5: Well, for us, it's huge, and we're so blessed to have guys that take pride in it. It's their number one focus, their relationships with each and every picture, their understanding of not only what makes them tick, but what their stuff looks like, what it looks like when they're at their best, how they're sequencing, where they can command the baseball, where their hotspots in the strike zone are. And the fact matter too, Rosie. You know, back years ago you could make ten trips to the mound if it need be. You know, nowadays you got four, and the catchers, more time than not are going to make one or two of those trips. So their understanding and knowledge of the game and knowledge of the pitchers out there, it's so vitally important. And I think it's also so important to have these conversations amongst the catchers and the pitchers, so they hear each other talk, and the catchers hear the pictures talk and how they say it, so they understand how to talk to them.
Speaker 2: Carl willis joining us Guardians pitching coach all over the bap here. But you had one of your pictures that you worked with for a long time. Cec Sabathia announced he's going into the Hall of Fame this summer in Cooper's town. What did that mean to you? Having worked with him at the very beginning.
Speaker 5: It's one of the highlights of my career. And you know, CC is an unbelievable human being. He's a Hall of Fame pitcher, He's a Hall of Fame person. And you know I met him when he was seventeen years old. We were able to develop, I think, a very special relationship that maybe went a little beyond player and coach and and became, you know, very personal. But at the same time, I don't want anyone to to misconstruct. His statements about me meant the world to me. I'm very grateful for that. But at the same time, I was the one who was blessed to have been in Burlington, North Carolina his first season. I was there to introduce him to professional baseball, developing routines, you know, learning how to take care of yourself and sure, you know, deliveries and pitches. Yeah, every coach works on that. I think. You know, if you go back to our uh to nineteen ninety eight. Had Tony Arrow been in Burlington, had Dave Miller been in Burlington. I tell people Buddy Black was our triple A pitching coach at the time. I mean, if Buddy Black had been in Burlington, I'm sure CC would have been in good hands. Right, he did it, but it did mean the world to me that he expressed those feelings.
Speaker 2: Can you put into words just how raw he was, as you mentioned, a teenager still and really getting his first taste of pro ball.
Speaker 5: You know, we've laughed about it, and he's told the story. You know. I asked him if he threw a four scene fastball a two scene fastball, and he said, man, I just grab it. He didn't, you know, even know what I was talking about. He he didn't pitch consistently in any particular place on the rubber. He was just so powerful. You know, a high school kid throwing ninety eight miles per hour the thing I will say that was so impressive, so tremendously athletic. But you know, we're in Bluefield, West Virginia. And I asked him if he'd ever thrown a chain jump, and he said, no, I've never thrown a change up. But I know how to throw it. I can throw one, and I said, well, let's see it. And he had a really good change up. Obviously, in high school throwing ninety eight, you're probably never going to throw one, right, which is why he hadn't. But you know, his ability to make adjustments, and some of those adjustments took longer than others, but it was pretty apparent that he was going to be special.
Speaker 2: And then you fast forward to your time in Cleveland and he went to cy Young one of many that you've been fortunate to be a part of. Just amazing to see the development and growth to go along with that talent. By the time he got here in the major leagues and was ready to win a lot of games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it truthfully was. I mean, he became a leader, he became a pitcher that you know, was feared throughout the league. And listen, I haven't told a lot of people this to my first game as a major league pitching coach two thousand and three, we opened up in Baltimore, CC was our opening gay pitcher, and I was so nervous about is he gonna throw strikes? Because you know, I mean, when you're in the minor league sometimes strike throwing can be a bit of an issue, and you know, right away as the game started and started to progress, it's like, no, this is a big leagues I mean, he's controlling the strikeing zone, he's getting the head. He he's a major league pitcher. And that first game, while there were a lot of nerves, thankful that he was out there because it calmed my nerves and helped me move forward.
Speaker 2: Carl Willis Joni us Guardian's pitching coach. This yours team last year kind of a I don't want to say a different way to go about it, but the strength was the bullpen, And when you look at this season starting rotation wise, seems like, at least in camp, there's a little bit more depth there. And I know you're never sure how it's going to play out with injuries and things like that, but what are you seeing here in camp starting rotation wise that has she excited that you can get back to being dominant there.
Speaker 5: Well, first, we have a tremendous amount of competition for our rotation. I think the front office ownership have done an unbelievable job of acquiring, you know, some talent that these guys, So the competition is amongst what seems to be really really good pitchers. You know, we saw Joey Cantillo yesterday have an outstanding out and you know Slavezecni same thing. A guy who's been with us and had a tough year last year, Logan Allen pitched very very well his first outing. We have a yet seen Ortiz, Vince Velasquez. You know, we saw a young man Doug mccasey, who was really really good and was really really good last your Double A and Triple A. So it's exciting. I think the quality of the competition and the quality then of the depth we will have after decisions are made, I think we're in a much better place.
Speaker 2: And that bullpen what just mind blowingly could a year ago best in baseball. Do you have to be a little bit careful just based on workload, especially for the younger guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're trying to do what we think is the right thing. You know, with Class A, with Hunter Gaddas, Tim Herron, Kate Smith, you know, we're not going to see those guys in games out here until the first or second of March. They're throwing live EPs, they're getting their work done. But we're kind of trying to control their intensity because regardless of when it is in spring training and people say, well, the games don't mean anything, but yet these guys are competitors and when they go out there, they're going to compete with everything they have each and every day, So we're kind of trying to protect them from themselves. The other part of that equation, yeah, we used them a lot, and maybe you know, to historic proportions, but it was a first for so many of them. First year Hunter Gaddis had been in the bullpen in his career, you know, Kate Smith made his major league debut, so the first time even being at the major league level, and then to go out and perform as he did through the entirety of the season. Tim Herron found his way. Again, you're talking about guys having first and then really getting leaned on in terms of number of appearances, so they had a different offseason. By the time the postseason ended, those guys were gassed and it's the first time they'd experienced that in the major leagues. And now how to rest, recover and then prepare for another season that comes around quickly. You know, our job and responsibility is to help them with that.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll finish up with this spring training. It's a great time of year, especially you're from North Carolina and not an easy winner there either compared to Cleveland a little bit better. But take us back, not first major league camp, but first spring training overall in pro ball for you? When where? And what do you remember about that? Well?
Speaker 5: Nineteen eighty four. So I wasn't a I was drafted in the twenty third round. I was a senior college sign didn't get any money to speak of, but whatever reason, I was fortunate enough to be invited to major league camp my first spring training. You know, it's so different back then we had three non roster players in camp. You know, now we have I don't know, twenty five. I mean I could probably more so, way way different environment. But Lakeland, Florida with the Detroit Tigers, and you know, I was fortunate that club actually won the World Series that year with just a veteran Leyden roster. And I was so very fortunate for my first bring to be with guys like Jack Marris, Dan Petree, we know Doug Bear who's from Ohio. As a matter of fact, pitch pitched with the Reds prior to come into Detroit, just veteran guys who really wanted to help. I felt like I was only I was the youngest guy there and obviously the least experienced guy there. But their willingness to answer any questions or to lead me, it was so cool and I'm so appreciative. I know, my first day in the major leagues nervous as I could be. We were in Baltimore. I got to the hotel. It was in June. My phone rang in the room and Alan Trammel was on the other end, and he said, Hey, Carl, this is tram We got a bus going to the ballpark, and you know, four o'clock a lot later than it goes now by the way, he said, but I'm going over at three. I'm gonna take a cab. If you want to go with me, I can show you where to go and get you to the clubhouse. And I'm like, I'll be in the lobby. I'll be there. So just you know, things like that, they go such a long way, and I was very blessed to have been around those people.
Speaker 2: What a team could you have? Did you feel that in spring training? Because they got off to one of the best starts in Major League history that year on their way to the World Series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know if anybody envisioned that type of start. I know I opened the season in triple A and you know, we all thought, well, there's no way any of us are getting called up. But these guys aren't going to lose a game. But but they were on a mission, you know, from day one. I remember chet Lemon again, Jack. They felt like it was their time and they were preparing for what they were able to accomplish. And that was pretty cool to watch.
Speaker 2: And as you get going here, obviously a lot of optimism. What do you see from this club? Just general vibe under Steven vote that that has you feeling good about a new season.
Speaker 5: You know, Vodie says this a lot, and I think it's I don't want it ever get like. These guys love each other, you know, and we love them. But I mean, they cheer for each other, they try to help each other. They obviously compete with and against each other here in spring training, but there's truthfully relationships. And I know, going back when I remember, you know, the highlight of my playing career being part of a team in nineteen ninety one that won the World Series. We always talked about the chemistry of our team and the chemistry out of our clubhouse, and we get together. You know, today, on occasion we have a reunion, we get together. It's like we've played a game the night before. You just never lose those relationships. And to get through the grind of the spring training one hundred and sixty two games and then the pressure of the playoffs, you need that trust in caring about one another and vote. He certainly promotes that and does a great job of it.
Speaker 2: Carl, great to have you back. Thanks a lot for coming back.
Speaker 5: All right, Rosie, thank you a lot of great stuff there from Carl.
Speaker 2: Willis a treasure to be sure and happy that he is back in the fold for Cleveland.
Speaker 5: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: We'll have some final thoughts after this time out on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 6: Switching to Progressive is a game winning call in my reminds us of other game winning calls in the history of sports.
Speaker 8: So it was the fourth quarter and went down by five, sweat pouring down my face. Suddenly it hit me, if only I could rep part.
Speaker 6: Of the town around my forehead and That's how I became the first basketball player.
Speaker 5: It's a ware ahead.
Speaker 6: Okay, not really a game winning call, but it was a good call. You can make one too. Switch to Progressive and you could save hundreds. Progressive Casualty Insurance Company and affiliates not available in all states.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardian's Weekly Jim Rosenhaus back with you from Guardians Spring training in Goodyear, Arizona Baseball on the radio on this Saturday afternoon. You can hear it beginning with a first pitch of four h five Guardians and Padres. And that is our final broadcast of the exhibition slate. The Guardians will take on the Reds tomorrow and then the Diamondbacks Monday night and Tuesday afternoon to wrap up spring training play. But before we head out for this week's show, want to thank bart Swain, Austin Controulis and also Portbury Trip as well as Sam Stack. They're all Guardians pr and various capacities and they help us immensely throughout the course of the spring. So thanks to them for all of their efforts and has always want to thank Brian Matsee for helping to put together our shows each and every week. We'll continue on with regular season editions of Guardians Weekly next weekend from Kansas City. Until then, this is Jim Rosenhouse reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance