Speaker 1: It's the JB and Sandy Show.
Speaker 2: And for those of you listening to us on the iHeartRadio app, make sure you tap that follow button and allow your notifications. It's Austin's eighty station one oh three point one. Tristan's got the story we love in just a moment. Thanks for being with us. It's the JB and Sandy Show. Hi. Today in Austin. We're hitting ninety two. When's it gonna get hot?
Speaker 3: I'd be happy if it stayed right here? Isn't that ridiculous? Be happy with ninety two?
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 4: You mentioned that I had a friend in town this weekend and he landed on Saturday morning at like nine am, and his son's checking out University of Texas and he's from Boston, and I got a text from him.
Speaker 1: We were going to connect when he got here.
Speaker 4: And I got a text from him.
Speaker 1: And he's like, oh my god, it's hot here. And this was at ten am. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: He was in line, in line at Joe's Coffee on South Congress, and I was like, if you're dying.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, you are screwed.
Speaker 2: By two three pm, has he already accepted been accepted at.
Speaker 1: Ut or just chip poking around, poking around, poking around. It's his first choice. Boston's from Boston, not much of my college town. He wants to go to the School of Engineering.
Speaker 4: Oh at ut I guess it's it's pretty good. And I took them out on the lake. I said, here's the deal. Summers in Austin, you're either your you're indoors or on.
Speaker 1: You got to be on the water. You can't.
Speaker 4: Everything else is going to be miserable. So I took him out on the lake and we were we were driving through real slow through the no wake zone by the three sixty bridge, which has now become to hang out. Yeah, you know, because it's a no wake zone now, and of course it's packed. And I kind of leaned over to his son and I said, you see, you see all these cute girls, I said, KINI season here starts in late March yep and goes almost to Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: This is to a kid from Boston, right, And he just kind of lit up.
Speaker 4: Tell better have some game though, yeah, I said, yeah, yeah, you said you might get real used to this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, good looking girls played a big part in college decisions for young men.
Speaker 1: Trust me. He's a big part the stories we love Live from.
Speaker 3: The Lester Holt Studios. It's Trisha Delicia. So yesterday was the day.
Speaker 5: Elon Musk posted on Twitter his Twitter account on Sunday that his new autonomous vehicle service launched yesterday afternoon. He said that for those people who were granted early access, which they were sent an invitation to be early access writers, that they could order a Tesla robotaxi for a flat rate of four dollars and twenty cents and go anywhere inside the offenced area in Austin.
Speaker 3: I don't know how long that.
Speaker 5: Will last, but there is an actual robotaxi app. It helps them figure out the kinks and stuff for the people who were invited for early access.
Speaker 3: They did also say that there will be.
Speaker 5: A safety monitor writing in all of the early access vehicle rides.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Wait, robo robotaxi service. Is that what I want?
Speaker 3: There's a robotaxi app.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, okay, I'm going to get it. I saw one yesterday. How would you know if you got invited to early access though, he would have sent you.
Speaker 3: He would have sent you a note through Twitter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you I don't know how you get that invitation.
Speaker 1: You know I didn't. I didn't even think of.
Speaker 4: Elon Musk totally undercut Uber and Lyft and just being cheaper and make a loss to just drive people to use the service and switch and then slowly creep it up but undercut them entirely.
Speaker 1: Yeow.
Speaker 4: And you know you're getting a new Tesla because I have ridden in some ride sharing cars and I'm like, how is this thing passing inspection?
Speaker 1: Inspection? Jeez? You know, yeah, I'm going I'm interested.
Speaker 2: I'm going to Nebraska in a couple of weeks to hang out with my dad while my mom, my sister, and my aunt go on a trip. And I'm going to do everything I can to convince my dad to buy a Tesla with the self with the self driving.
Speaker 1: He's eighty five.
Speaker 2: Years old, okay, Yeah, And I'm going to rip one and show it to him and then how it works, and I'm going to see if big A will buy one, because that way they can just he can just go wherever he wants to go and not.
Speaker 1: Have to drive.
Speaker 5: I just don't see your dad, of all people agreeing to that. He's so you know what I mean, he definitely is more technological, technologically savvy than some other people of his age, but he just takes him so long to make a decision, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm saying if I rent one for a couple of days and get in and show him the autopilot, that he'll he'll buy into it, you know what I mean, Because he still wants people to do stuff, but he can't. He can't see as well as he used to and needs to. It's scary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, and this is the solution, right, I don't know. I think it'd be good for him.
Speaker 4: I mean, it makes sense that he's you know, digs technology. I mean, he used to fly the most sophisticated planes, right that he loves, you know, in his career, right.
Speaker 2: And he loves that type of stuff.
Speaker 3: It's just an autopilot in his car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, which would be pretty cool.
Speaker 4: So autopilot would make sense to a pilot more than anybody exactly, because they fly just totally on instruments sometimes, right, you don't even touch it.
Speaker 2: My daughter and I are talking about getting our pilot's license, are starting the process of doing it.
Speaker 1: It's cool, though, what do you mean what it.
Speaker 3: Could crash fall out of the sky.
Speaker 5: I feel like I hear every day about small planes that are crashing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you never see anything about cars crashing the same thing.
Speaker 5: You're just adding another element of crash ability to your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You guys think that the price is a some sort of marijuana reference.
Speaker 3: I thought that too, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe could be. But so those are out rolling around their geo fence to downtown. I saw one yesterday.
Speaker 4: I was turning off a Congress onto Woodland and I saw a Tesla coming right at me. So, like when you see the waymos or the toyotas that are they're testing now, like there's a million things standing around.
Speaker 1: It is it's like it's an alien car, right, I feel like it should be going.
Speaker 2: Whoop who like yeah, wicking noises.
Speaker 4: And the Robotaxi I only noticed because they were coming at me and I didn't see a driver in it, and it looked like a Tesla's Tesla model Y. And then on the side it's it's a very small logo that says Robotaxi. It's it's not a big billboard. I kind of like that. It's a little more class.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because the weaimos or people are like, look a waymo, because it's all the stuff on it is crazy.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's a little bit less understated with the ROBOTAXI.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they look like a normal clu. It looks much more. Yeah, it just looks like if and that logo is small. You just casually so I want to get one. I just downloaded the app now that you mentioned it. I'll try to get one here this week or something.
Speaker 3: And is it Weimo through Uber?
Speaker 5: So you don't even know if you can't order a weaymos specifically, you just order something on.
Speaker 3: Uber and you might get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you may or may not get one. I haven't got one yet. Oh, it's just so a little article. Did I get invited?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't.
Speaker 1: I thought.
Speaker 2: Really excited. If I got invited, that'd be cool. Invited by Elon himself