Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI hand KOSTNHD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: It's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Monday, August twelfth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Happy to have you with us this Monday morning. I don't know about you, but I need a vacation from my weekend. It was jam packed, and I will tell you I got to go to two Dodgers games this weekend and we won both games. I'm starting to think I'm a lucky chart. Okay, i'd be a push. But it used to be that we would go to games. My best friend Namy and I would go to games and they would lose, like every time we'd go, and so we started to think we were a curse. So I think the curses broken. I'm happy. And because it was one hundred degrees out wasn't quite a hundred, but it sure felt like it. Just sitting in the sun. Everybody was drenched it. It was kind of comical, like people were literally like they'd come and get come back up to the concession stands from their seats, their whole backside completely just drenched. But it was a lot of fun and we won. And while the Olympics, did you guys watch the closing ceremonies. That was so cool. It's hard to believe it's been on for two weeks. But Tom Cruise, we knew it. He was up to something. We didn't know for sure what, but remember we were talking last week about how Tom Cruise loves to do his own stunts. He made sure that you could see that it was Tom Cruise doing those stunts. That was impressive. And then you know the concert on the beach with Snoop and Drey and the Red Hot Chilli peppers. I thought that was a weird choice and for the United States, but Billie Eilish was amazing, so fun. We're gonna be talking more about that coming up. Here's what's ahead on wake Up called Busy Day, more than four hundred thousand students are set to return to class as the twenty twenty four to twenty five school year gets underway. In the LA School District. It is the nation's second largest Superintendent, Alberto Carvellis's test scores are rebounding and finances are stable in spite of declining enrollment since the start of the pandemic. President Biden says he got out of the twenty twenty four presidential race because several Democrats convinced him if he stayed in, it would negatively impact them and other Democrats running. He said on CBS this morning, the polls still showed the race between he and former President Trump was neck and neck. We're gonna be talking with ABC Stephen Portnoy about the at the bottom of the hour to find out more about the current matchup between former President Trump and VP Kamala Harris and a campaign hack. The International Olympic Committee says US gymnast Jordan Childs has to return her bronze medal and the floor exercise. The challenge to her bronze apparently was because they filed a challenge to the score four seconds late. Tim USA is going to challenge that. We're going to get the latest on that and from Paris with ABC's Inez Delicaterra as France passes the baton to the US. Also later this hour, we're going to check in on the pandas and see how they're settling in with their new habitat at the San Diego Zoo. That's coming up before the bottom of the hour at six oh five. It's handle on the news. It wasn't all fun and games at the Olympics. Bill's going to tell you why the Eiffel Tower had to be evacuated just a few hours before closing ceremonies. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Well, that's a wrap on summer. As school starts in La.
Speaker 4: Four h undred thousand students will return to class today as the LA Unified School District kicks off another school year, Superintendent Alberto Corvallo says he is entering the year with optimism. He says he has a renewed focus on student safety and ambitious plans for campus improvements like removing mold, repairing leaky roofs, and modernizing classrooms. Police are urging drivers to be aware of the start of classes and the resulting increase in children who will be walking, biking, or otherwise traveling to schools. Heather Brooker, KAFI News.
Speaker 1: Riverside counties in for another hot week. The National Weather Services temperatures in Palm Springs are going to get one hundred and seven again today, going up to one oh eight tomorrow one oh nine the following couple of days. Coachella reached one hundred and six yesterday and is expected to peak at one oh eight tomorrow and Wednesday. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has ordered a guided missile submarine to the Middle East. The Pentagon says he's also speeding up deployment of the USS Abraham Lincoln as Israel prepares for a possible attack by Iran. ABC's Reean Analysis. Iran blames Israel for the assassination of Hamas leader or of a Hamas leader in Tehran.
Speaker 5: The website Axios reports Israeli intelligence believes Iran has decided to attack Israel within days. Israel's Defense minister telling US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin Iran is preparing a large scale attack.
Speaker 1: Israel says if Iran does attack, it can expect a blow like an unlike any other. In return, Tina Tiana's by U adventure, the attraction that used to be Splash Mountain is going to reopen on November fifteenth. That was one of the big announcements coming out of the D twenty three convention in Anaheim for Disney super fans this weekend. Plans for several new attractions were also unveiled, including a Coco Ride, an Avatar experience, and two new attractions for the Avengers campus in Disney California, Adventure Park Avengers Infinity Defense and the Stark Flight Lab that they're going to be fun. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Tom Rivers. Hey, Tom, So they've been hammered, they've been out gunned and beat down, and Ukraine still fights on and now they've taken the offensive across enemy lines into Russia.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they've gone across the border and they're still carrying on with this operation. It could be over fill in the blank in a couple of days, could be over in a week. But again they're they're they're hopping over. Estimates vary between nine and fifteen miles into the cursed region of Russia going across the border. And again Zelensky was finally talking about this yesterday. He says it just to put pressure on the aggressor. In essence, it's more of a psychological operation to get a message across, maybe to the Russian people that we can also take the fighting to your soil. If you're expecting a march on Moscow, it's not going to happen. They came over with about a dozen tanks, some APCs, a few hundred soldiers. They will either all die or they will be captured eventually, so it does carry on them.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that it's more of a psychological thing, and you're expecting that everybody who went into Russia they're not coming home.
Speaker 6: Unless they can sneak back. You know, they're they're they're on a suicide mission there. There's conflict right now in three particular villages. You said at the top, they're out manned. They're out gunned to a to a power up ten in that part of Russia. Reinforcements are coming in. It's going to be one way traffic only.
Speaker 1: That's why I was going to ask you about that. I was like, are they worried that they're going to be surrounded from behind and then they're stuck there And it sounds like they already know that's kind of coming, which is scary. But have they gained any groundback since you know the stuff that they've lost in Ukraine, tom or is it.
Speaker 6: A way chipping away six hundred and twenty miles, it's it's a long, long border, so you can have you know, toing and froing. But no, the general theme is Russia is is uh, you know, on the offensive on that particular line. And again there's there's things happening elsewhere. There was few drones that Russia flew at Kiev last night. A couple of people died there. There were also reports of drones that the Ukrainians had fired in this in this region in Russia Key and basically most of those were shot down as well. So other things are happening curious too. At the Zapparichia Nuclear power plant, smoke was rising from one of the cooling towers, very very disturbing. The Russians say it was a Ukrainian missile attack. The Ukrainians say no, it was the Russians that just lit some tires up to create some smoke in that area. The IAEA has the monitors on the site. We're hoping to hear from them as soon as possible to get their take on the who's in this latest incident. Put it that way, at the at the nuclear plant, and.
Speaker 1: Who is controlling the nuclear power plant right now? Is it Russia or Ukraine or is it neither.
Speaker 6: It's Russia. They've been there at Parkdyle for a long time. They had some trouble of getting electricity in to cool the nuclear rods. So in essence, it's in a quote unquote shutdown mode right now. So it's it's it's it's about a safe if you want to put it that way, as it can be, but it is. It is not in a good situation. Put it that way.
Speaker 1: Okay. Is there anything positive for Ukraine that we have?
Speaker 6: Tom, Well, again, some people are saying this incursion made and I don't totally buy into this, but some bloggers are saying it may be, if you will, a bargaining ploy saying if and when they ever sit down around a table, they can say, well, look we can, we can, we can you know, incur some damage on the Russian side as well, and that may help them a little bit in the negotiation. But it's difficult to see that, but that is what some people are saying.
Speaker 1: All right, Tom Rivers, thank you so much for the update. We appreciate it. Take care all right. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A driver's been hurt when he crashed into a home in Buena Park and knocked a bee hive loose. The Orange County Fire Authority says the crash upset the bees yesterday rightfully, so they got The guy who crashed got stung several times. He was taken to the hospital. Firefighters used some soap and water to calm the bills bees down. The State Bar says misappropriation, assault, and manslaughter are among the reasons forty attorneys have been disbarred since January.
Speaker 7: The bar says one lawyer for Motion side stabbed her former partner twice in one night. An attorney in Westlake Village was disbarred for driving drunk and killing his passenger. A lawyer in Alameda County killed the bicyclist and kept driving. The Bar also announced Thursday another sixty eight lawyers who were suspended or put on probation this year. The Office of Chief Trial Until investigates and prosecutes on behalf of the public. The State Bar Court oversees disciplinary proceedings but the state's Supreme Court decides whether to impose the recommended discipline. Corbin Carson KFI News.
Speaker 1: A multi agency task force put together by the Laguna Beach Police Department has spent the weekend going after speeders, e bike violators, and drivers with loud exhaust and modified emission systems. The operation led to one hundred and one vehicle citations. Five people also got tickets for being unlicensed or driving on a suspended license. Eight doctors were among the sixty two people killed when a twin engine turboprop plane crashed in Brazil. At least two of the doctors were headed to an oncology conference on Friday when the plane crashed in the state of Salpallo. The bodies were recovered over the weekend. Former President Trump's plane had to make an emergency landing in Billings, Montana, because of what the Secret Service says was a mechanical issue. Trump was headed to a fundraiser and campaign rally in Bozeman on Friday when his plane had to divert. He posted a video on his truth social platform, but did not mention the emergency.
Speaker 2: I just landed in a really beautiful place. Montana's so beautiful flying over, and he just looked down.
Speaker 8: And that's the way it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: The secret service of the plane's mechanical problem was not related to any security issue. Democratic vice presidential candidate Tim Walls is headed to Orange County for a fundraiser. He'll be in Newport Beach tomorrow. Tickets range from one thousand to one hundred thousand dollars the new mayor or. The mayor rather wrote on social media over the weekend, if Governor Walls is as interested in learning policy from a well run city as he is in political donations, my door will be open. Mayor Will O'Neill boasted the city did not defund police, embrace his conservative economic values, decreases debt, and increase his quality of life, did not allow protesters to burn out local businesses, and cares about human flourishing. Los Angeles taken the Olympic baton from Paris. Mayor Bass received the official Olympic flag, then handed it off to Tom Cruise, who repelled down into the stadium, took the flag, rode out on a motorcycle, then skydive to LA and handed the flag off at the Hollywood Sign. Not much of a feat at all. We're going to talk to an As de la Catire about that and more in just a moment. A man who's been shot in the face during an apparent street takeover in South la LAPD says the man shot was between forty and fifty. They haven't confirmed if he was involved in the street race. Around three point thirty yesterday morning at eighty ninth and Broadway, husband and wife Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are dominating the box office. Reynolds Deadpool and Wolverine took in about fifty four million dollars to earn the top spot. Lively's It Ends with Us earned fifty million dollars to debut in second place. The last time a husband and wife were number one and two was in nineteen ninety. That's when Bruce Willis had the number one movie die Hard, and Demi Moore debuted at number two with Ghost at six oh five. It's handle on the news. The US has ordered more ships to the Middle East as Iran continues to threaten to attack Israel, and at five point fifty oh, you know what, We're going to go back here right now, though, we got to say good morning to ABC's Innez de la Katera in Paris. One last time, boujeoor, what last time? It's so sad? Are you crying? Are you really sad? Or are you ready to be done with it all this?
Speaker 9: You know, I am looking to resting a little bit.
Speaker 6: But it is sad.
Speaker 9: It is the Olympic Blues. We've talked about it. It's a real thing, and you starting to feel that way in the streets of Paris. It's much calmer the tourists have left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so before look, before we talk about the closing ceremonies, let's check in on some of the highlights of the final weekend of the Olympic Games. First of all, did you get a chance to go see any breaking.
Speaker 3: I did?
Speaker 9: I did. I went off on Saturday. I went to go see the men's competition to the boys. I got to see American Victor Montalvo perform. He ended up winning the bronze, so that was very exciting. But I love it was a weird kind of event, creaking. I think it was really fun. It was really different from the other competition. Other competitions are fun as well, but this, you know, had music and dancing and it just felt like more of a more of a party. Basically, Sadly, breaking will not be back in LA. It might be back in twenty thirty two, but yeah, LA twenty twenty eight is not going to include breaking.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, so I don't know what you're feeling. Like you said, it was just kind of weird, and I thought it was interesting. I thought it was sort of fun, and then I was like, but this isn't It's not a sport. But then man, the dancers are so athletic and they have to be so strong and powerful, but I still just it didn't feel like an Olympic event.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's how I feel as well. I mean it is, you know, the moves that they pull off are incredibly complex, and so I could see that side of it. But yeah, and I think the judging itself was kind of I think, you know, that's something that faced a little bit of criticism. It's so subjective, so it's it's hard to make the case that it should be part of the Olympics. But yeah, this is part. Basically, every host city is allowed to pick certain sports if they want to include in the Olympics, and Paris picks breaking La has not, but LA is picking some new sports, you know, lacrosse, squash, flag football, cricket, and baseball.
Speaker 1: Oh and flag football. That's an interesting choice.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So closing ceremony, did you go to that or just did you have to sit and watch it on TV like the rest of us.
Speaker 9: I had to sit and watch it on TV.
Speaker 6: I had to.
Speaker 9: I had to be live so we can go live from the venue, so I had to be closer to the Eiffel Tower. But so, yeah, I watched it on TV. I mean the moment we've all been waiting for with Tom Cruise dropping down into the stadium and then riding off into the Olympics or writing off with the Olympic flag back to La. I thought that was pretty mean. The handover from Paris to LA. I thought it was cool that the red hot chili pepper is really Eilish the dog were all waiting there on the other side of the world for the Olympic flag. That was kind of neat. And yeah, I think that was the highlight really of the clothing there.
Speaker 6: Money.
Speaker 1: I thought it was kind of funny because that was did they call him the traveler? The gold guy? You know, but he, yeah, or he or she or whatever dropped down into the stadium and was sort of, you know, like on a zip line or repelling or something. And I was like, they've been saying that Tom Cruise is going to do that. Oh my god, is that guy in gold? Is that going to be Tom Cruise? That was my first thought. But yeah, so I thought that that was so much fun, so much fun. So some are already looking forward to twenty twenty eight. And I heard that Stephen Netterosik wants gold and he's right now saying that he will compete in men's gymnastics.
Speaker 9: Oh well, there we go. Yeah, it's gonna be fun to see all these athletes. I mean, that's kind of what makes it so sad is he's gotten attached to these people. Feel who've gotten to know them over these last few weeks, who've gotten to, you know, learn about their personalities. In his case, the whole thing is club kids and the sunglasses and the Rusik's Cube. But yeah, and then and then we feel like we've gotten to know them and we won't be seeing them for reveus. They'll be around, but yes, we're hopefully going to be seeing them again. At the next Olympics in twenty twenty eight. So yes, he's saying he hopes to compete. I was speaking speaking with the women's soccer team. They also hope to make it to LA twenty twenty eight. You know, Katie Ladecki has indicated she might also compete, and Simone Biles, who you know again on the older side for a gymnast. She has said that because it's a home game, you know, she's not ruling it out basically, so all eyes on her as well.
Speaker 1: Cool And speaking of women's gymnastics, we've got a little controversy going with Jordan Chiles.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, so a bit of an unfortunate one there to major disappointment really over the weekend. So the Court of Force arbitration voiding an appeal that is filed by her coaches to have her initial score reviewed during the score final, so she initially was in fifth place. Her coaches felt she didn't get the points she deserved considering how difficult her routine was. They appealed to the judges to review that score. The judges ruled in her favor that slumped her score up got her to third place. That's how she got the broads, but the Court of Sports Arbitration says that that appeal came too late, so the coaches really only have a minute to submit that appeal, and the court says the appeal came after that one minute deadline, so they're avoiding the appeal, they're avoiding the new score. She's reverted back to her old score, back to fifth place, and the IOC ruled she would have to give back her medal. I will say, the US Olympic Committee, it's going to fight for this, So they are appealing the decision. They say they feel strongly that she deserved the medal because really this comes down to a technicality, this rule, the one minute rule. It's not that her performance didn't merit the score, so you know, and the judges had made an error without you know, by not giving her the points for difficulty. So I think we're going to see a lot of back and forth in the coming days. Just a huge disappointment for Jordan, and it'll.
Speaker 1: Be interesting to see because you said that they missed the deadline. So once the scores posted, from what I what I understand, they have one minute or sixty seconds to challenge it, right, and the challenge came in sixty four seconds later, and it's crazy.
Speaker 9: It's crazy. So we're talking about, you know, four second difference. Yeah, I think that's why, you know, everyone's you know, a social people who followed you in ATHLETs closely, and the athletes themselves are are extremely disappointed because it's not that her routine didn't merit that score, it's the judges made a mistake regarding her scoring and then the appeal from her coaches came four seconds too late. But yeah, so that's why you're hearing the US Olympic Committee saying they feel strongly that she deserves that bronze medal. So yeah, I mean it's a crazy situation. And yeah, there's going to be a lot more to come, I think on that on that front, and certainly a storyline to watch in the coming days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I will say I still feel really bad for the Romanian gymnasts. I can't remember her name, but she was the one who initially they said, okay, you got the bronze. She was freaking out. The Romanians haven't won a medal in gymnastics for a really long time. She was so excited, and then they announced that Jordan actually got it while that gymnast is up on the mat with the Romanian flag around her shoulders, celebrating, and you could just see the devastation. I mean you just felt so your heart goes out to her too. I mean it's just this whole thing has been totally.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Annabarbos who And you know there was chatter I said, why couldn't they just split the metal in this case? It would seemed like a nice, you know, gesture to just have the two of them split the bronze medal, But it's ultimately up to the IOC, and the IOC rules that that's that's not what they want to do. They want to give the bronze medal to the Romanian athlete and have Jordan give back her medals. So yeah, but yeah, no, unfortunate for the Romanians as well as with an incredible routine, and it's just a yeah, it's just the bar of a situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, uh, I asked you this last week, so maybe you have an update. But what favorite moments?
Speaker 9: Favorite moments? And you know it's a tough one. I think what will stay with me is the atmosphere in Paris, how the whole city has come alive. Seeing all of the Team USA fancy were here. I didn't expect so many to come to Paris for the Olympics. Everyone united in cheering on Team USA, no matter their background or political affiliation or you know. That was really really special. And seeing the camaraderie with the athletes, and so, if I have to pick one moment, I think it was that moment with it was Jordan Childs Moanbiles kind of bound down to Rade, who had won the gold medal. I thought that was such a sweet moment and such a beautiful image of uh, you know, these three women who are fierce competitors, but who still support each other and respect each other deeply. I thought that was really nice.
Speaker 1: And with that we will say au revoir to ABC's and as dealer, thank you, miss you, I know, thank you so much for calling in and giving us such great information. Maybe we'll do it again in twenty twenty eight much so, thank you. All right, take care, we'll talk to you soon. Police investigators are looking for a large group of masked teenagers who raided and robbed to seven to eleven in the Pico Robertson area. The group of about fifty can be seen on security footage from Friday night, grabbing anything they could, jumping over the counter, knocking down shelves, and then taking off. The group was gone before police got there. A whale that died after beaching itself in Torrance has been cleared from the beach. They're going to do a necropsy to figure out why it died. La Mayor bassas La will borrow thousands of buses from other cities to meet her mass public transportation promise of making the twenty twenty eight Summer Games a no car Olympics. She says she's also going to ask businesses to let their employees work from home during the Olympics to cut down on traffic jams. Let's check in now with ABC's Stephen Portnoy. Good morning, Stephen. We were warned that Iran was trying to hack into US elections, and they may have already done it.
Speaker 6: They may have.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, there's a lot we should say we don't know, which is including the fact that ABC News is not independently confirmed the statements made by former President Trump and his campaign about the fact that well, the idea that they were hacked by foreign sources. But what we do know is that late last week, Microsoft publicly said that a presidential campaign was the subject of a spear phishing email attack. Now, spear phishing is the way you get an email that has you click a link and all of a sudden, it compromises your system or your information. Microsoft says that a presidential campaign was the subject of a spearfishing attack, and that that campaign also had a former senior advisor's account compromised, and it was all done by an Iranian intelligence unit called Mint Sandstorm. So you have the Microsoft statement, you have Trump's public statements that his campaign was hacked. You have Politico reporting that it received an anonymous email from somebody named Robert with an Aol email address that had documents that the Trump campaign says were legitimately theirs that involved vetting information about JD.
Speaker 3: Vance.
Speaker 2: Now, the Trump campaign shrugs this off as all publicly available information, which it no doubt was stuff in the public domain, mainly about the things that Jdvans had said about Trump years ago that were potential vulnerabilities for a Trump Vance ticket. Nevertheless, you had this idea that there is foreign hacking of a campaign, and that is concerning So much so that Congressman Shift has urged that it would be some sort of I think he's urged for declassification. Certainly has condemned this, but you have calls on both sides of the aisle for the Biden administration to declassify what it can about this so that the public can be steeled against it.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so if the documents were leaked to Politico, his Politico published them or are they like sand We're not, We're not going to because this was a hack.
Speaker 2: Well, Politico has not published the materials in full. I think there's probably two reasons for this, if I had to assume what a political editor or manager's thinking. The first is they don't want to create a perverse incentive for these kinds of things or do any kind of harm or damage. The other reason could be it's just simply not newsworthy enough. I mean, the idea that there's you know, background information could just simply be a list of articles or the text of those articles about Jdevans and things that have been said, which would simply be a long list of Politico's competitors and all the things that they'd written about JD. Evans. In fact, I imagine that's exactly what it was. So those would be two reasons why Politico wouldn't see any value in publishing it. But you know, the risk, of course is that there may be more to come. And that's why Trump, I think, is drawing public attention to it, and why the US government is going to be called on to say more about this publicly.
Speaker 1: In the last election, didn't Russia get into Hillary Clinton's accounts or something?
Speaker 2: Well, that was two elections ago, in twenty sixteen, and that was the subject of you know, the WikiLeaks controversy that had Donald Trump publicly and maybe in jest he would say it was in jest, but regardless, publicly calling on Russia to do more to hack Hillary Clinton. And so that became the subject of an intense investigation by the Justice Department that ultimately culminated in Donald Trump's impeachment, in part because of his efforts to shut down the Mueller investigation and the Muller investigation into the phone call that he placed to Vladimir Zelensky and all the things that happened in twenty nine teen and twenty twenty. And so, look, the idea of foreign interference in a US election is a terrible thing. Members of both parties are condemning it, and I wish there were more we knew, but there's at the moment, there's a lot we don't know, various pieces of string that we can pull. But I think the point is that we all need to be on guard for this potential.
Speaker 1: Don't click those links, you guys. That's right, Okay, onto other things. Vice President Harris and her vice presidential pick Tim Walls have hit the road. They're campaigning in battleground states, and over the weekend in Las Vegas, Harris made a rather surprising campaign promise.
Speaker 2: She promised that if she's elected president, she will work to and taxes on tips. Where we heard that before, Well you've heard that from Donald Trump, and you've heard it from months from Donald Trump. And so the idea here is that Kamala Harris is stealing an idea from Donald Trump. Well, no response to that from Harris to say it is a bit of political jitsu, right, So jiu jitsu, I guess is the word. But the point is that, you know, look, it's meant to be a play for the service economy workers in Nevada, and she packed that arena in Nevada all the way up to the rafters. That's an emblem of the new enthusiasm that exists on the left for her candidacy. Perhaps it's been dormant for some time on the Democratic side, but now it's been awakened and energized by Kamala Harris just being at the top of the ticket without even laying out a single policy position, She's got the crowd engaged, and this is the first time that she has stepped forward to say this is what she would do if she were elected president. And it's one of Trump's ideas, which is really kind of interesting. But you know, the question becomes, how do you pay for such a thing?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 2: Trump has not offered those details, neither is Kamala Harris. But there's only two ways to do it. One is you simply add it to the national debt, and the other way is you figure out a way to raise taxes on somebody else so that it doesn't have a negative impact on the debt. We're waiting on those details from Kamala Harris, as we are from Trump as well.
Speaker 1: How unusual is it, Stephen, and I would imagine it's very frustrating for journalists that Kamala Harris still hasn't talked to anybody really well.
Speaker 2: Look, I mean, in fairness, Harris has done a limited number of brief engagements like the ones. Yeah, that's right where she takes. I think one recent incident had her instance, had her taking five questions from reporters. That's not sufficient, and it's not enough for the American people to have a good understanding of where she stands on the issues or how she would accomplish what she seeks to. Now that will be of vulnerability until she does it, she says she will. I expect you'll honor that pledge, and at a certain point we'll have an opportunity, hopefully our organization to have her answer questions. But I think that what she would do is, for the moment, try to play from the same playbook as Joe Biden, I mean Joe Biden for his entire presidency eschewed the kind of regular engagement that his predecessors have had with the press. Now that he is a lame duck, is not running for reelection, is seeking to do more of these engagements, and he had one with CBS that aired yesterday where he told Robert Costa of CBS News all about why he decided not to run for reelection, and that included the fact that members of his own party came to him and told him that they feared that they would lose their races for the House and Senate if he didn't step out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Steve Importaner, thank you so much for the information. And as we get more information about what was hacked and find all that stuff out, I know we'll be talking to you you, Betra. I appreciate it. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. LA has turned over ownership. Actually, La County has turned over ownership of a park to the city of Santa Clarita.
Speaker 3: The deal was done after.
Speaker 8: Nearly two years of negotiations. The Board of Supervisors has agreed to transfer Hart Park and Museum to Santa Clarita. The site is named for Silent film star William S. Hart, who donated his ranch and property to the county after he died in nineteen forty six. LA County has taken care of the one hundred and twenty eight acres for seventy five years. Under the terms the city has to keep its hours updated, keep the same fees for non city residents, and create a welfare plan for the bison herd at the park in downtown La.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks KFI News. Hundreds of firefighters have been trying to stop a major wildfire on the northern fringes of the Greek capital. Evacuation orders have been issued for more than a dozen areas, including Marathon in several suburbs of Athens. The fire started yesterday and was pushed by strong winds in tender dry conditions. The Intuit Dome officially opens for business this week. The two billion dollar arena in Inglewood is the new home of the Clippers. It'll also be used for the twenty twenty eight Olympic Games, but it opens with pop star Bruno Mars performing there Friday and Saturday night. The Dodgers won it in ten innings yesterday at Stadium. Wow. What a great game. Tonight The Dodgers are in Milwaukee to take on the Brewers, with the first pitch going out at five ten. Listen to every play of every Dodgers game on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from the Gallpin Motors Broadcast booth. And you can stream all the games n HD on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports. More than four hundred thousand students are said to return to class as the twenty twenty four to twenty five school year gets underway in the LA School District this morning. It is the nation's second largest. Police investigators are looking for a large group of masked teenagers who raided and robbed a seven to eleven in the Pico Robertson area. The group of about fifty can be seen on security footage from Friday night grabbing everything they could, jumping over the counter, knocking down shelves, and then taking off. The group was gone before police got there. Matt Kemp has signed a one day contract. This was so fun with the Dodgers, so he was officially able to retire as a member of the team he spent ten of his fifteen years with in the major leagues. He was the only Dodger with at least two hundred home run and one hundred stolen bases. They did a whole big ceremony for me yesterday before the game. It was really great. Kemp's major league career ended in twenty twenty with the Colorado Rockies. We're just minutes away from a handle on the news this morning. It wasn't all fun and games at the Olympics. Bill's going to tell you why the Eiffel Tower had to be evacuated just a few hours before the opening ceremonies. But right now it's time for pandemonium. We are talking with Marco Wnt, who is a wildlife ambassador for the San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance. Good morning Marcooh, good morning friends.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me today, Well.
Speaker 1: Thank you for coming on. We are so excited to talk to you because we know that the pandas made their big debut at the San Diego Zoo last week, and so we wanted to check in and see how Juan Chuwan and Singbao are doing. Are they settling in, how are the visitors reacting to them, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know it's been an exciting time at the San Diego Zoo and just for your listeners to be you know, we're two conservation parks in San Diego, the Safari Park in the San Diego Zoo, but when we're talking panda, it's all about the San Diego zoo at Panda Ridge, and they're doing great. If you're not familiar with the personalities, you know, you and chew On, he's kind of like this, like this laid back panda. You know, he likes to sleep in which I completely identify with. You know, he loves his breakfast bamboo, his very essential midday nap, you know, and then munchin up in bamboo later on all throughout the day. And Shingdao she's actually the opposite. She's a really curious panda, actually a really intaliented panda too, So you're gonna get like very different personalities. But they're exploring there, they're playing in the pools. All the guests are having something great time seeing all the smiling kids out there. So yeah, it's an exciting time to be at the zoo.
Speaker 1: Well tell us, and how are you said that the kids are excited to see them? Tell us what the reaction is of people, because we haven't had pandas at the San Diego Zoo for a while.
Speaker 3: Another battle, Oh, I know exactly. Yeah, you know everyone's talking about Panda. I mean I recently go back from Boston. In the subway, they were talking Panda everyone's excited about it. Yeah, even the grand ceremony, the governor, the mayor, they you know, all these people, delegates, ambassador of China. But again, it's it's for me. It's the kids, you know. I want everyone to know them. Like it doesn't matter if you're the Emperor of the world or a kid from the body. You know, like pandas are going to be for everyone. And what this symbolizes, it's friendship. It means a lot of that means wildlife conservation. So we're we're crossing borders. Were uniting people all over the world to rally against this super cute black and white mammal.
Speaker 1: They are so adorable. I can't wait to them see IM soaper these pandas. They got here in late June. And why why is the lag time between when they got here and when they were on I'm not on display, but I guess. And before they were unveiled to the.
Speaker 3: Public, yeah, you know, yeah, like viewing for the public. Yet you know, I tell people, remind them. You know, we're San Diego Zoo wid the Alliance. You know, wildlife is what we do and we want to do it right.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 3: So when an animal was moving from one area to another, it takes a while for them to acclimate, so we wanted to wait for the candace to let us know. And you know, we're wildlife here specialists, wildlife conservation scientists, so we're reading their behavior, letting them them telling us, you know, when they are already and comfortable and exploring the habitat. So it took a few weeks. You know, it depends on the individual. But again, you know, we want to make sure we do it right before we open up our doors for the public.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and what did you do to their habitat to make the pandas feel more at home?
Speaker 3: Oh, Frank, it's four times bigger than it was before. I'm soaked about that. And to remind guests too, Yeah, it's awesome. And you know, these Pennas, they're from a southwestern region in China, So if you close your eyes and picture these these bamboo forth rolling green valleys and these steep cliff faces, it's it's like a dream out there. So we wanted to highlight that really unique ecosystem. So when you go into Panda Ridge, you're going to be immersed in regions like Sichuan Province, or Shunk Sea as an example, and you're just going to be blown away. And reminder, when you walk in, it's not just sciant panas. You're going to see a really interesting mound ming viper. There's going to be a red panda. And kudos to the plant department for creating this beautiful ecosystem too. So just you gotta go.
Speaker 1: You gotta check it out, okay, And do pandas react to the visitors or do they just kind of do their own thing and just like go, I don't even know what those people are doing.
Speaker 3: I know, right, you know, it's always reminiscent to me when I see gorillas look at human beings and wonder like who's you know, who's watching who in these scenarios. But you know, no, they're doing great because IoT's a yun Chewan opening day. You know, kids everywhere having a great time, and he's just sitting there showing everyone his very impressive belly as he's crunching out bamboo. So no, they're doing great. And again remind you or your listeners, and it's a large habitat, so pandas can decide to go in the back area and the front area. They can move wherever they want, so they definitely have the freedom.
Speaker 1: To do so, okay, And Marco, you know, there's always people who say that animals should not be in zoos, and so what would you say to them about why zoos are so important for the survival of many of the majestic species on this planet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I love this question, you know, and I understand it. You know, I would lively give up my job, all of us at the zoo if we knew animals and plants would be okay out in the wild. But sadly, you know, it's not the case. There's so much wild up there that's disappearing on a day to day basis. And remind your viewers or listeners, you know, support your credited zoos and aquariums that, for instance, the California condor, we brought it back from twenty two birds individual birds you know, in the past in the eighties and now over five hundred, you know, and there's so many other species that we're helping out. And panda as a perfect example. Our past thirty year relationship with the Wildlife Conservation Association of China, we brought down the status of giant panda from in danger to vulnerable. So I totally get it. You know, in a perfect world, it would be wonderful that all populations of wildlife would be great and doesn't need our support. But that's not the reality of the world, right, So that's why we're doing what we do, and we have collaborations all over the world to remind people it's not just us, whether it be in China or austrangling with the platypusts, or in Mexico at the condor, it's all of us together, right, So together we can make up of the world a better place for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think when people, well at least this is my experience, when people see them and you know, I mean they're not in their natural habitat, but you guys, I know that the Sante gooes. So you do such a great job trying to make it as normal as possible for them, Like it helps you understand them because like, if you're from the city, how often are you going to see a panda? How often are you going to see a red panda? How often are you going to see a tiger in person? You know, So it gives an opportunity for people to actually see these amazing animals.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I love it, and I actually that's a topic I've been saying this whole week with all this pandemonium happening, that you know this is this Yeah, it's in super conservation one hundred percent. But also, like I'm a native San Diego and my and my family is from Mexico, So being a person of color, it means a lot to me, especially our inner city programs that we have. To your point, there's kids out there. They're never going to get the chance to go to Asia possibly and maybe see a tiger for a face a face or luckily not face to face, but you know what I'm saying, or maybe a panda. But you know, this is giving everyone that opportunity to see how big and beautiful the world is. And being the nonprofit that we are, a little kid can come into our zoo, they can maybe buy a plushy or just even get in passionate about a panda, and who knows what's going to mean in the future, and they're directly helping out in those conservation efforts, right, so everyone can get together and help out with the planet.
Speaker 1: Yep, I love that, Marco went, Thank you so much. Pandas are at the San Diego Zoo. They're going to be there for ten years, but why wait for that long?
Speaker 3: Go see them now exactly? God come please all right.
Speaker 1: Marco went, thank you again for your time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Frand I have a great panda day.
Speaker 1: All right, you too.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 1: Pandemonium at the San Diego Zoo. Can't wait to get down and see him. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up call, you missed a lot. You can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.