Speaker 1: Alrighty, oh, so it's cold.
Speaker 2: Oh Travis and his chick writing.
Speaker 1: Dude, I like his writing. It actually was a lot better. Not thought it was going to be.
Speaker 3: As long as you can read it.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I mean if anybody trying to I'm not what you want to call a good writer. I have I.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can't even read my own hand or oh I.
Speaker 1: Have struggles so much. That's why I just text everything else so much easier. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to say this to Matt because he'll get an even bigger head. But they say sloppy handwriting is a sign of intelligence in the sloppy or it is the more intelligent you are.
Speaker 3: Wow, I am super smart that I wish you would have told my college professors that did my grade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just yeah, well I was on that bell curve. Thanks to President Bush for that one.
Speaker 2: Don't are you actually recording right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought you were going to do this disclaimer first.
Speaker 1: I was going to Oh that's right, I was just hit that.
Speaker 4: One in there, folks before we dive in, Just a friendly reminder that Beer Belly Sports is a podcast, not a mensa meeting. They're not CNN ESPN, not your mom's book club, and they're definitely not to be trusted with an intelligent thought. They're here for laughs, beer and a good time, not pulid surprises or perfect stats. The opinions, hot takes, and wild predictions you're about to hear are strictly their own and possibly influenced by whatever was on tap earlier in the day. If you should take anything that they say too seriously, that's on you, Bubba. So crack a cold one, sit on back, and remember. It's all good fun, just a bunch of Minnesotans talkin' sports, sippin' beer, sometimes making sense, and demonstrating the thoughts that kept them out of the really good schools. Everybody, please just take a breath and we'll begin.
Speaker 5: This is double fisting TVs. Mat Is scroll into his spaons, Scott's down on his business degrees, Dustin keeps the shore rolling on with the ditching their episode of talking spots and having fun. We take beer into shot bad with being on each other. Yeah, beer belly sports is what we're called.
Speaker 6: The Sammie Brothers a sports.
Speaker 1: Minnesota sports is what we know.
Speaker 3: From the highest down to the loose.
Speaker 5: Leting high and keeping score. This is what we're living falls. We're in the Betching, Minnesota talking sports and happens by.
Speaker 2: We drink beer and.
Speaker 3: Two shot beats, ripping all each other.
Speaker 5: Yet Brebilly sports is or what we're called the semi process.
Speaker 1: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. It doesn't matter where you are. This is beer like sports coming you from Nary the run The Nary Runway just south of ba Midge is two hours away from the Canadian border. Just a live up north.
Speaker 2: We're Winnipeg then in Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're not wrong. I mean you're not wrong. Anyways. My name is Matt Jeffrey too. My immediate media left. He's been outside all day. He's been cold, is what he told me. He's been cold all day. It is Scott Wilson. Hi, Hi buddy, how you doing good?
Speaker 2: That that new intro I love the uh reminds me of like a stadium rock song.
Speaker 1: That's what I was trying to go with in that one, and it felt good. A little long, but it's it was actually shorter than the original.
Speaker 2: Wow, you could have about halved it because intro.
Speaker 1: Intro should should be a minute minute thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I know it was good.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, it's it captured the moment.
Speaker 2: It didn't mention my name like sixty times like the old one and Bruce three times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Ai. And then to the very far end of the bar. It is not Bruce, it is not Dustin. It is the man that we love. He's super smart. You hear his voice all the time literally on the radio and on TV as well from Paul Buyne Communications. It is not other than Brian Bisson At sir, how are you doing some good boy?
Speaker 3: You guys have uped your game.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: The last time I was here, there wasn't a theme song. There wasn't a like a disclaimer at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Matt loves chat GPT.
Speaker 3: It's our friend in some ways, no doubt.
Speaker 2: It's Matt's friend of me.
Speaker 3: Who who is singing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I hey, really.
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Thanks Bruce Dynamite.
Speaker 3: Well see you kind of killed it for me. Then I thought you had somebody.
Speaker 7: For you.
Speaker 3: That was sweet.
Speaker 2: We're not that special.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can do a lot with that stuff nowadays.
Speaker 2: We had to add to the disclaimer because one of Matt's friends took exception to us joking one night about an event that happened between them.
Speaker 1: Oh that's weird.
Speaker 3: Were you air and dirty laundry or something?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, No names were mentioned, no kings were mentioned, nothing. It just happened. The person knows something some other stuff.
Speaker 2: They knew the inside joke we were making.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that I feel safeer saying anything now because there's been a disclaimer. So thank you for doing that.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. We're here.
Speaker 3: I think we're covered legally to say anything we want.
Speaker 1: Thanks Brooks, Thanks Persy looking out for us. All right, So anyways, Yeah, we have a great show for you guys today. We're not gonna there's it's a dead time of year where not a lot of happening. I mean there is, but there isn't.
Speaker 2: I mean the high highlight of the sports world I saw yesterday with Shadur Sanders being named of the Pro Bowl and he didn't do anything to deserve it.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Really Yeah, he's an injury replacement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're all like sixteen of the other quarterbacks unavailable in the AFC or what I mean.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that, kind of like Tyler Hunley making it a couple of years ago and had played three or four games backup quarterback for the Ravens.
Speaker 4: So J J.
Speaker 3: McCarthy was like honorable mention. Then for the Pro Bowl, I mean Sanders does it?
Speaker 2: I heard the PERSONA nine got qualified?
Speaker 1: Really interesting?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sarcasm Aiden by the way says we we we. You can tell that's my son who can't type.
Speaker 2: You know, he said we it was supposed to be. When did you stop the video?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I'm still trying to work it out where I can do this live stream and do video.
Speaker 2: You're asking a lot of your people don't have to see us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even better, you're fine. I got a face for a radio man when they made the Beaver Radio Network go on streaming and people had to see me. I actually had to dress up boo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always say like I'm two pretty for radio, but not pretty enough for TV. I'm in that weird gray area.
Speaker 2: You're weird there in the streaming.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, streaming. That's even better.
Speaker 3: Perfect for the streaming world.
Speaker 1: Even better.
Speaker 2: You know what makes that better is anybody can have a podcast, so it's not that special.
Speaker 3: And apparently they can all have a theme song with yad GPT Yeah boom.
Speaker 2: There's so many times where Matt says something and dust dustin and I are like, that sounds way too smart to be Matt.
Speaker 1: Really, that's what Google's for too, that's it does really well for me. So I mean, I'm gonna pull back the curtain here, like doing wrestling, they pull back the curtain and real facts. If you're seeing thing on social media looks like no way, like really typed out, really like good example is uh ma.
Speaker 2: Better SPC a commercial last week that was pretty good.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah that was Yeah, that was wrote that one. But like we do better edge when they tried to do our picks and stuff, that's all he I do. It does all f dont time. I just feel like what what we all did ours?
Speaker 3: Yeah, certainly streamlining some things, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: But so you can tell when Matt just has chat GPT created graphic though too, because the graphic itself has some errors and stuff. Little like the one time he had the timberwolves on there and it said like no timber wolf wolves or something.
Speaker 3: There was some Yeah, you go you gotta you can't just use it.
Speaker 1: And edit it.
Speaker 2: Read proof reading and Matt don't.
Speaker 1: Go to no. Yeah, we all learned this.
Speaker 3: Chat GPT does not get right.
Speaker 2: So it's scary, Like we were talking about it at work. I work for the county in the assessor's office, and just how how it's trickling into the day to day business interactions, which I'm sure you're going to be running into to what you do. Just you know, like, how do you tell what's real and what's like, especially like AI videos and stuff now and defects and stuff. And it's just it's getting scary to the point where you watch videos, you know, like we talk about it. You know, you see something on Facebook or TikTok or whatever, it's like, is it real or is it AI?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to tell the difference.
Speaker 2: Some of them are so realistic looking, but as opposed to I.
Speaker 3: Mean, you look at how graphics and you know, all the technology has progressed through the times. I mean, it was so fake looking when they first started doing these special effects, and now you can't tell the difference.
Speaker 2: Well, even just a video game. I remember, granted this was ten years ago at that point, so the graphics have gotten even better now. But my grandpa came over to my parents' house and I was playing Madden's Oh I didn't realize there was a football game on today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty pretty cool. I mean, I mean I'm old enough that I remember Pong where it all starts in television, and.
Speaker 2: I did all of those eight bit graphics.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know whatever, Atari, Sega, Genesis, you go down the list. But man, I mean we were happy with that. I mean, Pong was an exciting thing because you know, you don't have anything else, And now it's just like, wow, I'm almost glad this stuff wasn't around when I was a kid, because I probably went to have left the basement.
Speaker 2: I saw something interesting last week or so that was talking about the difference of video games from when we were kids versus the games now that our kids play, and just how it's crafted and fed into like people's addictive tendencies and stuff like when we were playing Mario growing up, you got three lives and if you died, it was game over, right, And now it's just open world yeah and never ending. Yeah, there's not the you have to step one, step two and progress through the level and complete goals and steps and stuff like that. Now it's paid pay to get different perks, and just how that's morphed and whatnot now.
Speaker 3: Too, well of those lego games my kids. I would play them because they were awesome because when you died, you didn't have to go all the way back to the beginning, to the check. Yeah, but again, it just seemed to go on from like does this ever end? I mean there has to be an end point, right, Like I played Skyrim and I never did get to the end. I mean, I don't know if there is an end, because it felt like I was nowhere near remotely close to the end and I played for like seven months.
Speaker 2: Oh there's we've so back. When Ashley was still living here and she found out that I played Red Dead, She's like, did you beat it yet? And I was like, no, I get sidetracked. Played Oh I.
Speaker 3: Did finish that one.
Speaker 1: I did too, and she told me the the end of it. I'm like, don't tell it.
Speaker 3: Why are you telling me, Daylert, What are you doing? Oh my god, I just played all this time, and you're gonna just ruin it for me.
Speaker 2: What even like Assassin's Creed or Grand Theft Auto, you can spend hours just looking around and yeah, anyways, why don't we get into it?
Speaker 1: How do we start? How about thanks shows being brought to you by.
Speaker 2: Herberts and Gerbert Sandwiches and soups. Make sure you download dad app Bruce and get free sandwich when you do, refer friend and get some points.
Speaker 1: To Soup Season still Matt's favorite. I love Soup Season also be brought to by seven of that pizza Pizza before us trend. You can pick it up a lot of different markets, especially down in the cities at those bigger finer what's that really nice one? Whole Worlds or World Food Worlds or whole Food, Whole Foods, wow, whole whole markets.
Speaker 3: Whole Yeah, well they can come up with a competitor for Whole Foods right there.
Speaker 1: They don't pay me hold the market like that went through the home market. But yeah, they're also I was in Hackensack yesterday and then uh long deal today and they're in it's in their grocery stores.
Speaker 2: We can't get it back.
Speaker 1: Well also at Holiday and Circle.
Speaker 3: Okay, you got a pizza oven in here?
Speaker 1: Uh in the out there? Yeah? Now I used to have actually a microwave here at one time.
Speaker 3: Well, but I mean you can get a pizza.
Speaker 2: Of and you know for a bar that you just like forty bucks an.
Speaker 3: Pretty cheap, and you can get a pizza for your guests Matt.
Speaker 2: Pretty soon Matt would be rolling up looking like fat bastard from Austin Powers. You see pizza in the bar every.
Speaker 1: Night, Well, I mean there's that Bapata.
Speaker 2: Also the beautiful Nobbing Kettle, which is located down in Lake Alice, Minnesota, which is nestled quaintly between Lake George and Lake Itasca. Check them out on Thursdays for live music with Lois. Friday and Saturday. Get some of the best prime rib in the state.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, aust being brought to by Home Choice right here in. But Meiji, if you just walk in, like like I said, this laptop that I got from Home Choice right here in. It helps out your credit if you need help with credit Boom. Once you finance something through UH through them, you don't need much either. You don't have to put anything down. Put a lot down obviously, just like a normal car payment or home loan, and more you put down obviously less. It's good to be. But anyways, I got this laptop for like seventy five bucks a month.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it's a brand new one, too sweet. So I'm really really happy. So we've go to home choicing, but maybe you use the promo code beer Belly, Sports inst in not in studio, uh in in their office store, in the store only and get a hundred dollars off on whatever purchases you make.
Speaker 2: And also soda stick. Yeah, go on sodastick dot com check out all the greatest gear. Bruce is one of their best customers. He's got the John Randall hat, the nineteen eighty Miracle ice hockey shirt, he's got socks, sweatshirts. What you put in the promo code BBS and get fifteen percent on us with your order right.
Speaker 1: A lot of good stuff on there too.
Speaker 2: And our final sponsor tonight is actually sitting next next to.
Speaker 1: Us over here. Who is it?
Speaker 3: Do a live commercial for you?
Speaker 1: You could do a live read.
Speaker 3: I get asked to say service availability depends upon location. Some re tricktions apply a lot, sure do. We don't use that as much anymore because we're you know, we're you have to be in obviously connected to our fiber network to get our services. So yeah, no, we're you know, we're rocking and rolling with the gigazone, our al fiber optic network. Internet speeds up to ten gig pretty much. You know, Internet for the way you live, right, I mean, anybody can do anything with this stuff now. Perfect for streaming video, great for working from home, all those things. You can do them all at once when you've got the bigazone. So we're going to be expanding again this year. We actually just turned down the city of Bov. We expanded there last summer and that network is now operational as of last week.
Speaker 2: You guys extended it all the way into Buel, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, yeah, we're in Buell.
Speaker 1: It's not it's because of the Wine Range over here. We are.
Speaker 3: We were way up the Iron Range, but it's because of how funding works. We don't necessarily just build exactly right down the road. But yeah, Cole Rain and Ov, who we actually had kind of surrounded with where we had expanded previously, those two towns were included. And then up the Iron Range show we did a bunch of townships by Britt and Cook and yeah, we serve the city of Buell. And so next year, I'm not quite sure where we're are This year, I should say, right, I'm not quite sure where we're headed. But we'll know probably within the next couple of months. And from what I understand, it's gonna be another three thousand and four thousand homes that are we're going to pass.
Speaker 2: Is it seeming like more towards Strowhead.
Speaker 3: Well, it's definitely going towards the east. So we also serve parts of Akin County now, so I think some of central Acin County is going to be a part of it. And then up again up in the rural Cook area. There's a lot of people who don't have anything, you know, to rely on where. Yeah, so that area, which is crazy to me because when I started the furthest east we served was Deer River. So when I was going to our eastern most point, it was what a half hour forty five minutes, and now it's like two and half hours. So we we've expanded dramatically in the last thirty years.
Speaker 2: So shameless, selfless plug here if you ever find yourself up and Cook.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have no McDonald's anymore, but no, damn it.
Speaker 2: There's a restaurant on the lake called the land Now.
Speaker 3: Oh that's good to know.
Speaker 2: Delicious landing.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, and you know, we we've spent more time in some of these areas now, so that that's I appreciate the tip because yeah, well we had actually planned on I don't go to McDonald's much, but we had a meeting there and we had we had a half hour and I'm like, well, let's just go to McDonald's and eat something and come back. And we went there and it was it was closed them the beginning of the end really because it hadn't officially been shut down yet. It was just closed because they couldn't find people to work. I mean that happened so anyway, other things probably combined for that. But anyway, so well good because I'm like, well, boy, that's a big loss for the people in that area, right, I mean there's limited options as is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we used to go up Snowobiling, aur Oun, Crane Leak and Vermillion stuff all the time growing up. And yeah, it's right on Crean and yeah it's the Landing, very good food.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's a cool area. So yeah, we're going further up the range. We serve Nashwalk, Key Wotten, Marble, Calumet.
Speaker 2: And is that all just internet or is it phone TV? Internet?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: All tho it just depends we've really stopped offering television service and expansion areas a couple of years ago, mainly because it's a lot more expensive for us to be able to provide that service and it doesn't make us any profit. It's a break even service, so basically a service to our members at this point. And so like Bolvy and Coleraine don't get the option of Paul Butan and television, so they get the option of everything else, including our voice services. But more importantly, the gigazone, which will help you stream or even like our direct TV, doesn't require satellite dish anymore. It's all Internet based. So if you've got the gigazone, that's going to give you everything you need to do whatever you want, streaming, gaming, and all at once. So yeah, we're kind of getting away from offering TV and expansion aaries for a few reasons, but one in cook it's hard to get there in two hours to solve their problems, and TV has a lot more potential for issues set top boxes and all of that, where internet and phone and voice services rarely have issues, and a lot of the time we can resolve those issues without having to travel out and go to a customer's location. So yeah, so TV is available in some areas, but not all of our cooperative membership territory. So that's kind of the only service we don't offer throughout our network to everyone.
Speaker 1: How far south you guys go, We go to.
Speaker 3: Almost Blueberry Pines down by Park Rapids. We don't serve the city of Park Rapids because they have three providers already, and again we're trying to get to people who don't have a reliable option at all, and so we serve a lot of the rural areas around Park Rapids. We go down to just outside the city limits of Walker, so we serve Benedict and Laporte and have perfect actually fun fact, Laporte was one of our two original exchanges that started the cooperative back in nineteen fifty two. Laporte was one of them. The other was Kellyer, which has always confused me because those two places are nowhere near each other, and if they didn't have phone service, how did they coordinate this all, you know, telegrams back and forth.
Speaker 2: I remember you talked about that a year or so ago when you were on here, and it just like Bomigie kind of made since is the midpoint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why we that's why our office is in Bamigi. We did not serve the city of Bamidge with our network until nineteen ninety nine, so people forget that, but we always have been in Bamigi from an office perspective. So yeah, Well, in nineteen ninety eight, when I first started, they it was a monopoly and they deregulated the so anybody could expand, and so Paul Bunyan was one of the first to expand. And when I started, I was the thirty sixth employee and we had about three thousand members. Today we have one hundred and sixty five employees and serve over thirty seven thousand and members. Yeah, pretty crazy ride I've been on with all my cohorts that the cooperative, that have all contributed through the years. But I think that's a testament to the forward thinking leadership that we've had all these years to put in a fiber network long before anybody else did.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you're tired of talking about this at this point, but how did June affect the network?
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I'm not tired about talking about it's actually we got breaking rights because everything we have is underground, and the only thing that impacted us was power. So if our equipment out in the field, you know, we've got buildings that serve a region out in the field, if that lost power, our services would go down. So we spent a lot of that time not repairing anything because we didn't have any damage to our network, but keeping generators filled with gasoline so that the services could be continued. And of course people's homes if they don't have power, our stuff's not going to work. So the network really never did go down, only if there was power issues, whether our power issues or the customers.
Speaker 2: Because now like voice, that's all voiceover Internet correct, there's not too many copper wires left in.
Speaker 3: Arts is all fiber. But it depends, you know, if you're not without power. Remember your traditional phone would still work if you plugged it into the wall, but if it's power based, it won't. There was a little electrical current back in the old days that was common, you know, you plugged it into the wall. And now you got you know, cordless phones and things, but those are power based, so they aren't going to work. I have a landline telephone in my house for that very purpose. I can plug it into the jack if the power's out, and use it as a landline.
Speaker 2: So because that was what I was getting at, because I had a lot of people that were like, well, with voiceover internet, if there's no power, I don't.
Speaker 3: Have correct if you have that type of technology. But of course we were first a telephone company, and so even though it's delivered over fiber, those phones I think will still work. There's a power element inside your house that we already provide you. So I guess I can't speak to that because I did not plug my phone in June twenty first, but yeah, that would impact whether your phone service have plugged it into the wall and work. That used to be you know, claim to fame in the fifties, sixties and seventies, when your powers out, your phone still works. But then you know, cordless phones deal with power, and so they will work.
Speaker 2: I actually added a home phone back to my house. It did just because I got my kids are getting old enough now where they can be home alone.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, that way they have a way to you know, call me or their mom, or their grandma and grandpa, or emergency services if needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You're hearing more and more people that are bringing landlines back.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's been an interesting ride in that regard because when I first started, that was our main business. It was landline phone service, cell service. Bag phones were just coming around, but right those work, Wow, those are the best cell phones. But then you know, the coverage wasn't good. You know, it took a long time for them to build out the network. So landline phone service certainly hung on, but we saw the writing on the wall once that portability and all the other things you can do now with you're basically computer in your hand, that we were not going to be able to you know, make that what we're all about. And that's where kind of we could see the Internet coming, the shift to that, how can we deliver it faster? How can we be prepared for whatever may come along, And that's where you know, all this fiber optics stuff came in, because fiber optics was a part of our network back I think starting in the late sixties early seventies, but it was only used to transport major traffic back and forth. It wasn't up to your home. And so when they finally got it up to people's homes, then you have to have all the technology to be able to deliver these services, and that took a few years. So we were one of the first to implement it, and but it was pretty well vetted because we didn't run into too many issues with any surprises. The biggest surprise I think was when we first tested it in the winter time, you know, underground in Minnesota winter, and we had some issues and it actually turned out to just be bad fiber optics. Nothing wrong with the network. It just the glass was not properly put together or whatever. So some learning pains, but not a lot, not as many as I thought we would given we were out front of this. We had no one to call to say, hey, how do you do this? Does this work for you? Or why is this not working for us?
Speaker 2: Especially in a rural set.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good love, that's it. And you know, for a rural setting, it's been a huge bonus because before with even still today with the copper, they've extended the ability of it, but it wasn't made for this stuff, and so you can only push it so far before you have to have equipment out in the field, which for TV was a mile. We had to have equipment every mile from somebody's home if you wanted to provide them TV service over copper cable and you put in fiber and that becomes ten miles. So well, fiber is more expensive to put in.
Speaker 1: The ground, and the amount expensive to fix to.
Speaker 3: The equipment that we would have had to pay for to stay on copper, we would have spent just as much money had had a certainly a more outdated network now.
Speaker 1: Granted, most companies nowadays they get rid of the copper when I locate. When we get someone was like, I'm want to throw them out of the buck, so don't give a shit about them. But Frontier up north they are I'm sorry, garbage, absolutely trash. You have like the very small six bit copper line. Yeah, and nobody cared. And then and I talked to some of the homeowners, they said like, yeah, we don't see anybody for like weeks. Like that's horrible right. Well, and by the way, that's up in Viking, that's up north the northwest. Yeah, this is what throwt out there week.
Speaker 3: Well, we compete against them. We do serve almost up to international falls and so we do compete against them, which isn't much of a competition.
Speaker 1: Their fault.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just unfortunate because it really turns out to be where you live and who your provider is, and how lucky you are whether you whether you have internet still today, what kind of internet? When did you get access? We take it for granted. I've had internet at my house since nineteen ninety nine, and that is unbelievably rare in a rural area.
Speaker 2: And you know we've last week the kids had a snow day. Yeah, school, and we we were even talking about that. Well, they didn't have a snow day, they had an e learning day.
Speaker 1: Yeah boo.
Speaker 2: Even now today, twenty twenty six, you still have families that don't have internet or computers.
Speaker 3: At home, right, Yeah, Oh for sure. In COVID certainly brought that home when all of a sudden everybody got sent home and they all need internet. You know, we were one of the companies that was overwhelmed from a demand perspective. Yeah, and we could only do so much every day. But I laugh because that you know, everybody thinks everybody uses the internet, you know, and that's not true, you know, and for a lot of different reasons, whether it's their own choice, you know, they're off the grid. A little bit, or it's finances, whatever the case may be. And COVID really brought that home and how important reliable quality internet. We put up a lot of Wi Fi stuff outside of our network so people who are nearby had access to the Internet, and I know a lot of other providers did similar things. Because we can't solve that problem immediately, we have to build it and it takes nine months and millions of dollars so and that's just to get to three thousand locations at a time. Right, So we've done what we've done over time, but we're still trying to Sadly, it's still a big issue. And a lot of particularly rural and rural areas low densely area, so like in areas of outside of Cook there's not a lot of you know, people per mile.
Speaker 2: Well and even then to just the terrain you get up into Cook and it's very rocky.
Speaker 3: Oh that's the worst. Yeah, yeah, we we we're so used to stand over here, and boy, our construction certainly took a lot longer over there and still does than it does here because I mean it literally breaking drill bits and nulla rock and it's called the iron range for a reason right, not wrong, all right, but so we we talk about this is the longest Paul, by the way, so I'll end it here.
Speaker 2: Every time you come on the show, and after you leave, we're like he you can just tell you're very passionate about what you do and how you portray it, and Paul Bunyon is very lucky to have you as a representative so well.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. It's easy though. I've always tell people it's easy to to work for something you believe in, right, And we're a member on cooperative, so there's not some one rich guy on a lake that I got to kiss up to to try to get a raise or anything like that. It's we're all in it together too, and we've got a great team. I mean, I just feel, you know, pretty proud to be able to be the kind of the face and the voice sometimes. But I always remind our staff I can say and do whatever I want, but if you don't back it up, that means nothing.
Speaker 4: And you know, and they do.
Speaker 3: Our staff is amazing, and that's one of the biggest things that I enjoyed the most is that we offer local customer service. Still to this day, it's a dying breed. I don't know who many who do, but I think our members you certainly appreciate it and note it as a difference between us and everybody else.
Speaker 2: It's very nice that you can walk into a physical location and speak to somebody that their native language is the same language you're speaking.
Speaker 3: They can they can pronounce your hometown if you say Mary. I'm guessing a lot of our staff Mary is even what say that to a frontier employee? See if they know where Nary, Minnesota is?
Speaker 2: All right, why don't we jump into the bat of the show here and get into the six pack.
Speaker 4: It's time for the Billy Sports six packs, brought to you by Bryce Primo from Team Cermac real Estate. Just like your favorite Minnesota team, you need someone who knows how to close by, sell, move, win. With Bryce Primo and the bimmage area called two and eight seven six zero ninety seven eight nine or send an email to Premonition three sixty five. That's hotmail dot com.
Speaker 1: It's so nice, Han't Brooks. They do all of our stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, the first beer, the Twinkies they did. They've had a little action last couple of years on the trade front.
Speaker 1: Well, We'll start with Joe Ryan is still staying with the Minnesota Twins. We'll start off with their four now four and now is what I put dot dot dot four. Now, uh, Brian, we have a we have a shot that I say that Joe Ryan will be traded this off season by May. By May, sorry not by April.
Speaker 2: By spring training opening.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well it's coming quick.
Speaker 3: Will it matter? I mean, I don't know. You know, Baseball, in my opinion, is the one sport that's all screwed up. I mean, no matter how bad the Twins are or how good the Twins are, they're not going to win the World Series. They can't afford it.
Speaker 2: That's I very much feel that there needs to be not just a salary cap in baseball, but more so a salary floor, just because what was it two or three years ago you had the Tigers in the playoffs. Yeah, and their playoff roster was eighteen million.
Speaker 3: Dollars, which is like half of the contract of one player on the Dodgers, right even absolutely, well, you know that's the you know, again, that's Minnesota's up against it because of that. So are all the small market teams, so as almost all of Major League baseball, the Brewers played pretty well, right and they got founded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they did. They were I thought they were. They were in front of the NL NL North and Central sorry football and the head still Bruce of that too. Uh, Yeah, they're still in the North or the Central and they were leading from Also. I think Cubs were given a good run as well too.
Speaker 3: But they have no chance at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: I don't know, they don't know.
Speaker 2: And when you've got and I Bruce and I are very much in agreeance on this, there needs to be something done about these deferred contracts too. When you've got the Dodgers paying show hey, three quarters of a billion with a b dollars and he's only getting paid like two million a year here and there. That's not really represented representative of what he's actually being paid.
Speaker 3: Isn't that like Barry Who is it?
Speaker 2: Bobby Bill?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bobby BENI a day right every year? Pay him a million dollars or whatever.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: So Bruce's big argument is from all the league does a league wide revenue sharing right off the top, every team gets one hundred million dollars, you should at least have to spend up to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a minimum. Yeah, you can't. You don't get or you're relegated to the minor leagues if you don't. Because I mean the small market teams, you know, obviously they have to hit the lottery of how they put their roster together to be even competitive, let alone advance and maybe win the World Series. But I think, you know, just from the you've seen it in the other leagues, they knew they had a problem and they solved it. Because I don't know about you, I have a lot less interest in baseball now because great it showed, you know, they're you know, Otani's great, and what he did was amazing. But when one team can dominate and then make a mockery of free agency, they just go buy everybody else too.
Speaker 2: It's like, wait a minute, they shelled out like one point two billion dollars in contract free agency contracts last year.
Speaker 3: Well, then this year they already signed a couple of big contracts.
Speaker 2: Because they got Yamamoto last year, Otani and then a couple other guys well, and they got.
Speaker 3: At least two this year because yeah sign Yeah, So anyway, they got to fix that. From a Twins perspective, I don't know, you know, Obviously people probably disappointed that the Pole led family didn't sell. Yeah, you were all hoping for a like an Alex Rodriguez Lori situation, come in and invest in some you know.
Speaker 2: But what I've read so one of the minority owners they brought on was Craig Leopold, who happens to be the majority owner for the Wild who has gone all in and yeah, apparently there's some rumors going around that with his minority share, there's the window for him to eventually work his way into majority ownership of the Twins.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, he's certainly shown that he's willing to spend some money, and obviously this year more than any other, they've got obviously the biggest free agent pickup in hockey, and so you know, but unfortunately for them, the best two of the best teams in the league are in their division and conference, so they're up against it a little bit that way. But you know, with the Twins, Uh, it was the fire sale in August is what probably was the most disappointing thing to me. Why don't you just trade the whole team? Yeah, and not only that, I'm and they were the reason that we won any of those games a lot of the time. That was our best part of our team was our bullpen.
Speaker 2: Not wrong, by the way, it was d Edward O Julian, he got that shipped out.
Speaker 1: Kyle Tarko was the recent signing the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the Twins made a couple moves the last couple of days. Edward Old Julian and all the picture pacher from the bullpen got shipped off to the Rockies today and then yesterday they traded a catcher catcher Parada to the Mariners for cash.
Speaker 3: So because we all know how good cash is, right, it probably has still a higher batting percentage than Nick Punto, but cash still doesn't really do the trick.
Speaker 2: We always joked growing up and Nick punto home run was then he hit it out of the infield.
Speaker 3: And he made more money than the three of us combined in two years.
Speaker 2: And he has and he has a ring, He's got a couple. I think St.
Speaker 1: Louis Saint Louis, and I thought Boston for the last run.
Speaker 2: And he was actually a candidate for a brief moment for the Twins managerial.
Speaker 1: Job this year.
Speaker 2: I remember that, No he's coaching. He was coaching in the Padres system.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that would just pick up where they left off last season? Did most of them bat like he did? Like two hundred? I mean did seemed like we were not a very good batting team.
Speaker 1: There's a mother Nick Punta out there. No, sorry, there is. He's twenty five years old.
Speaker 3: That's not the nick punto. We're talking.
Speaker 2: No, no, So the guests we had last week, his names Travis plays small ball or tumball for the Blue Ox before he got hurt, and now he does silver Bullet sessions with Matt It's crazy how even fifteen twenty years ago, just the different mindset that baseball's gone through as far as if ten, fifteen twenty years ago, if you hit under two fifty, you were bad, right, and now half their team beare hit two hundred. Well it was its normal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pit bat two thirty and will give you two million more a year. You know, Oh you had twenty two home runs. Ooh, there's another three million for you.
Speaker 2: To add about sixty straight oats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and you're I think the batting average overall is definitely dropped for a lot.
Speaker 2: It absolutely every three.
Speaker 3: Hundred is outstanding.
Speaker 2: Now, well, I remember growing up. They used to talk about batting average, obviously, home runs and RBI's. You don't really hear a whole lot, you know. You used to see you, guys, if they broke a hundred rb eyes, that's a great season. You don't hear them really talk about that much.
Speaker 3: No, they have all these war right is one of them. All these other I hate saber metrics mean nothing to me. I don't know what that means. How many runs have they driven in? And then you see their one ninety one batting average? Oh great, this is gonna go great for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah great, Hey you up there, Well it's don't pop out.
Speaker 2: Man Kavich brought it up. Doug former Twins first base on Doug man Cava.
Speaker 3: He's a World Series champion, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Boston, he was talking Boston or La, but he was talking. He's a manager now and he was one of the Twins affiliate managers. But even just with the situational play, you see guys, now, well he's batting three hundred against lefties but one fifty against right you know, so they do a lot more situational spots, subs and stuff. He's like, it's hard for a guy to actually get consistent and get in a rhythm where he can actually work to gett in his batting average.
Speaker 3: And you suck bushes left handers so you don't get a chance.
Speaker 1: Yepu. By the way, I only won one World Series now was with the Cardinals.
Speaker 3: That makes me feel a little bit better.
Speaker 2: Really, next Speer, next beer, all right, the Golphers, Matthew so.
Speaker 1: The Minnesota the Golden Gophers. Dustin I posted it. Dustin commented, this is football. You're football, not basketball.
Speaker 2: Well, just as.
Speaker 3: Golphers psych for Akron, that's gonna be a great match.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to get tickets for that one. Barn Burner. Uh, the Gulf is gonna play Eastern Illinois Mississippi State accurate.
Speaker 3: A challenge Mississippi States, not a pushover like they normally schedule.
Speaker 2: That's where dak came from. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then at Washington home against Michigan, at Purdue home against Iowa at Indiana. Look on Halloween by the way, uh U s l A at Penn State great uh Northwestern and then at Wisconsin so ay wins.
Speaker 2: Maybe Dustin said he was lucky to see five in there. I was thinking three.
Speaker 1: Try hope I'm hoping for the best. I'm a PJ kind of guy.
Speaker 3: There is no hope give up.
Speaker 2: So here's the reality of it. PJ is gonna win just enough games to get more national attention, get himself another two year extension, soak the school of a few million more right off into mediocrity. Win another worthless bowl game.
Speaker 1: Here, here's him, get another bag.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I went to the Purdue go for a game this year, and that's the first time I've attended. And in the outside that first time I was in that stage.
Speaker 1: You're the one who took it.
Speaker 3: They Wow, they were not good, and neither was Purdue. The Purdue coach should have been fired. They killing us, and they stopped running the ball. They had like two hundred and fifty yards rushing and then they were up by ten and stopped running the ball. I mean, I was a sorrow world.
Speaker 1: I was there that night. It was cold, yes, and.
Speaker 3: The only Reasoner Persich made an interception for a return for a touchdown is the only reason thought it. I mean, horrible coaching from Purdue, and I mean we were bad the whole time anyway, So I've.
Speaker 2: How do you feel about Koy perrits going to Oregon sad.
Speaker 1: I wish it wasn't a Big ten school. I was kind of kind of wish it was like, you know, like an Alabama like he wanted to or Yeah, and I'll be fine with them all.
Speaker 3: You can't blame him. I mean, he's not getting to the national championship with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, not this year next, but hey, you know, he's got a lot better chance with Oregon.
Speaker 2: Dustin and Bruce did make some good points for him to stay though, because the U has become very well known for being a good spot at developing defensive.
Speaker 3: Backs Antonio Winfield right and junior. He was, yeah, I was mad we didn't get him because he was such a senior was a great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was supposed to be the replacement for Harrison Smith allegedly, well.
Speaker 2: He got drafted like one or two spots before the Vikings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well that's true. I mean, we we have had, i mean decent defenses. But yeah, you know, it's tough in the world of college athletics now, I mean, I'm yeah, it's got to be tough to try. I mean, you can, like look at what happened to Northern Michigan Hockey. That's who the Beavers play this weekend. They still haven't recovered their coach left in April. The whole team bolted.
Speaker 1: It's so weird, how so long?
Speaker 2: I hate the transfer portal. There needs to be a lot more clearly defined rules, you know, especially football and basketball will be the prime example.
Speaker 3: Has to change.
Speaker 2: Exactly, you know, like football, for example, you've got guys that are opting out of games during bowl season, which when they've got nil deals, their nil sponsors are proud, piss because those are the most visible games, right, But you've got guys that are entering the transfer portal in the season it's not even over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who came up with the rules? I'm like, have you followed football? Do you know how this works? Is like some accountant in the corner office of the NCAA coming up with these time frames.
Speaker 1: But it's stupid.
Speaker 3: It's not rocket science. You should we talked about wait to open it until the national Championship is over.
Speaker 2: Right, So we talked about this with Charlie from Lakeland when he was on a few weeks ago. There needs to be a clearly defined free agent period, like it doesn't start until the end of the January fifteenth, for example, right, and then it closes before spring practices start in March or April. You know, there's a defined this is when you ken or can't do it. Yes, And the same thing with coaches and nil. There needs to be like a salary cap system with nil in.
Speaker 3: Well it's a wild west right now. They'll hopefully be able to rent it in, but obviously there's some changes that need to be made.
Speaker 2: What else you got on that topic that that's really about it?
Speaker 1: I know, I know we're going to go a bit long on some paublay and communication stuff, which I'm really really happy because there's some things like I'm always curious about and like I know some more of some of the technical stuff like underground type things.
Speaker 3: Like I know, like you know, because you do it right, most consumers have no idea it's magic. It's magic.
Speaker 1: It's not really if it gets cut and then hey, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Like I thought he was just on a bowl against it, but he's actually chewing on the bar.
Speaker 1: What are you doing anyways?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So like like I know, like fiber is not cheap, so if you're going to dig, please for the love of God called Gopher State. Please call forget that you have no matter what, you have to call it legally, you have to do yes.
Speaker 3: Well, and hopefully most people realize that there's a lot of stuff on the ground now right. They might not think it's in their yard, but it's again people, it's magic. Now there's a way that's delivered. Yeah, don't dig without calling Gopher State. There's a great system in place for that.
Speaker 2: And free.
Speaker 1: Free, it's free.
Speaker 2: And if you if you call on Wednesday, they're usually there before Saturday. And you're going to do your project.
Speaker 3: And if you don't call and you cut a fiber optic cable, that's on you and.
Speaker 1: That is not free. It is not cheap. That it has bankrupt remy what are you doing? You don't bite on it too? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Hey, they want to be part of the show.
Speaker 1: I don't need to bite on chewing up.
Speaker 2: Crack the next one?
Speaker 1: All right, well, crack that.
Speaker 2: The wild and timberwolves and FanDuel. It's becoming it's becoming a very very logical question to ask when does FanDuel go dark? Not if, but when?
Speaker 1: And I've made it we in our text, I've told you this, Like, I'm do you think it was smart that they had local coverages pick up the Wild in the past those last few games. I think it's like.
Speaker 2: There's four of them that they're going to do between now and the next like two months. FanDuel has already I know that the Timberwolves missed a payment, missed a received payment from FanDuel. I haven't heard of the Wild, have or not, but it's becoming more and more likely that FanDuel is gonna fold.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, we carry FanDuel Network. I've not heard anything from them obviously, only what you guys read in the in the trades and everything. It's very similar to what happened with Twins TV, right and the Twins. They obviously went off of fan duel, not necessarily to their financial gain. But yeah, it's hard to say how it would all shake out. Personally, we're just all hoping that they can make it through the end of the regular season for both those teams, because their contract is up at the end of this year, I believe, or even before the next season. Maybe certainly it would all get figured out between then and the beginning of the next season. How that will shake out, what that means for Wild and Timberwolves fans will have to wait and see. It's not necessarily good or bad. You know, they could be put on you know, a network that you got to pay a lot for, could be Twins TV, which.
Speaker 4: You know what was that?
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously we included it, but month all right, nid time he got Yeah, we got it just before opening day, the first in Minnesota to have it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got shot out on a K fan as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, they thought it was awesome. The Twins too.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I talked to some of the Twins people and of course they're like, we thought it was so cool that Paul Bunyan was the first company that we signed because of the Minnesota connotation.
Speaker 1: You know, so how did that work? Like did you like probably you didn't go in the gociate that kind of stuff, but how did that work with the Minnesota Twins? Like not having that because they don't have FICN or a ballet or any other or fandue like that, Right, how did that work for you guys? You just like, do you just make a phone call like, hey, we would like to pick up the Twins?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Actually, MLB Baseball took it over yep. So we carried the MLB network, so I know those people and have worked with them for years, and so it was the same people that we worked with from MLB Network and NHL Network. Those two networks are run by are handled by the same group of people, and so it was really actually pretty easy. I mean, we have a good personal relationship with them. Our deal, of course was negotiating the contract and certainly wanting to make sure that they understood it. There's less value the longer this goes on past opening day, so we want to get this on. But they were also in a lot of flux, so they were trying to figure things out. Now, they did it for San Diego and I think the Diamondbacks in Arizona, so they had done it for a couple of other teams prior. We weren't the first, but it did take them a little while to get to to get what they wanted to do, and then of course they had to come back to reality when they're you know, as far as how much you know, pie in the sky money they're asking for. And so it actually worked out for us where the cost of FanDuel Network plus Twins TV was about the same Okay, so you know the loss from FanDuel because we don't get charged as much if they don't have the twins. Yeah, it was almost equal, so that really wasn't a big, you know, rate problem for us. It worked out actually pretty well. But again, we wanted to get it for our customers right away. They had it on for a while of preseason, but nobody carried it. Then you could stream it, and they did offer that's the first year they offered the direct to streaming thing. For twenty bucks a month you could get the games. So there were other options finally at least and with the Wild and the Timberwolves. You just don't know. Now there's rumors that ESPN might be trying to take over the MLB stuff, so that changes the game completely.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's from a consumer stand point, you know, you see a lot of people cutting cords just by nature of things, you know, like licensing fees and stuff like that. It's expensive nowadays, it's.
Speaker 3: Just going to be the most expensive thing, you know, and by the.
Speaker 2: Time you sit and like we've talked about it. Okay, so if I have an MLB subscription, if I have a fan duel subscription, if I have all these different subscriptions. I'm going to be paying sixty seventy eighty bucks a month, then I might as well just get cable.
Speaker 3: Back, right, correct, That's exactly well, and that's what's going to happen. The prices are going to go up. I mean, what what Netflix when they started, what's six bucks a month and they're twenty now. I mean they start long and get going, but they also consolidate so there's less people. So Disney and Hulu are teaming up. Now it's going to get down to just a few providers that control all the content, and your cost is going to be up to them and for them. Their problem is that their bread and butter all along has been cable television and people like Paul Bunny you deliver it where you know, we pay per subscriber per month for these things. When you let people choose on their own and go I want this and I want that, but not this and that, then you aren't going to make nearly as much money. Where we're forced to carry you know, ESPN. If we want ESPN, guess what, they're owned by ESPN. Disney, we have to carry all those channels. You don't get one or none. You know, you don't get to pick in our world, but you do in the streaming world, and that's going to cost them money. So there's a couple of things happening. One, they try to try to get as much revenue as they can now before it all goes away, and that's pushing people to go to streaming. And so they're really in kind of a quandary right now financially is how are we going to be able to make what we may in the old way with the new way? And they're probably not going to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: Part of the issue though, especially with Netflix and Hulu and Paramount, they're pushing their own productions now too. Yeah, so now you've got that overhead to cover well.
Speaker 3: And then if you want, you know, it's going to come up down to every consumer what's important to you and how much are you willing to pay? So if you like that show on Amazon Prime, guess what you're gonna have to pay for Amazon Prime. And then oh wait, I like this show on Peacock, and then I like the show on Paramount Plus. I mean it's going to be divvied up a little bit that way. But there's a lot of different streaming options, like if you want something more like Paul Bunion Television, Direct TV, YouTube TV, they have a guide and they have a channel thing, and it's live TV versus like Amazon Prime, which has a kind of it's more on your time and your choice. But they do have some live programming and all of them are getting into that. But it's not like it's live like where we know traditional cable television. But there are streaming options that are so I mean, at least there's something for everyone in that regard. But yeah, it's a big challenge for these folks. And sports is the biggest factor. Somebody's paying for all these contracts. And you know, the Dodgers aren't the only ones. It's the fans that are paying for all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's why it costs you four hundred dollars for a family two or three to go to a hockey game exactly.
Speaker 3: Well there, and then that's why your TV bill's so high too. I mean, sports is a big thing and it's costs a lot of money, and that's it trickles down. Don't don't make many mistake about that. We're all paying those salaries.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely so, as Matt mentioned though too. The Wild will have four games on basic cable TV. Really, they've got three games on my forty five and then so on January twenty tomorrow they've got Interesting Calgary. Friday, February twenty seventh there will be on WCCO against Utah, Saturday April eleventh on forty five TV again against Nashville, and then Tuesday, April fourteenth on forty five TV against Anna.
Speaker 3: Interesting. I mean normally you do that with one company. I mean, WCCO is not affiliated with the channel forty five. That's a Hubberd stake. That's so like I'm won like that's like that's not a good sign though, I mean, if they're doing that, like when I'm in my fah pulled the games off fan duel though, right, I mean they're still on fan duel, right, Well they have that might be a scheduling conflict, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and say even right now, you've got the occasional game where it's national broadcast on ESPN or what you know, NBC. So but even on like when I'm out in my fish house and I just over the air antenna, Channel twelve is WCCO, and then like twelve Dash three I think is my forty five.
Speaker 3: Oh well, my forty five is definitely a affiliated with KSTP Channel five ABC out of Minneapolis, or.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: It's I think it's an AB.
Speaker 2: I think my twenty eight to three is forty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I mean it'll be I guess, wait and see, who knows. Again, we're just hoping, fingers crossed any changes come after this season, and then you know, by the next start of the next season, it will all be known what's going on.
Speaker 2: So there's some rumors, as long as we're talking about the Wild Matt and you don't have it on here, there's some rumors that a certain young stud goaltender maybe on the movie The Old Wall of Saint Paul oh No, is rumored to be a potential trade ship for the While to actually land a top six forward.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, don't like that.
Speaker 2: Oh, they've traded all their other assets away.
Speaker 1: You get it.
Speaker 2: But when you gave, you gave up what is the equivalent of four first rounders to get Quinn Hughes here.
Speaker 1: And again, we talked with Jesse Pierce from the Minnesota Well I did I take Yeah? Oh h get that. That's a shot. When I text her, I said, is Billy g going all in or what is doing? What was he doing? She's like, he wants a cup now, brilliant?
Speaker 3: All right, good dad, Well let's start with a playoff series. How about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I can at least get the Wild to become the Twins.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I attended the last home the last time they won a playoff series. It was Zach Preezy beating the Saint Louis Blues.
Speaker 1: I was at the game.
Speaker 3: My daughter, who is now twenty eight, had just got done with her senior prom in high school. That's how long it's been since we won.
Speaker 2: It was sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean, come on, and this almost every year of that they've been in the playoffs. It's not like they missed the playoffs and didn't have a chance to win one. So yeah, maybe this is the year. Well you know, they're like you said, they're gonna play Dallas or.
Speaker 2: The unfortunate thing is is we're in We're ranked thirty in the entire league, behind Colorado and Dallas, who just happened to be in our division. So we're in third place in our division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean they're kind of host well, that's like the Vikings last year. Right, you kind of get hosed because the other you know, everybody good is in your division. But hey, you got to go through them anyway, right, I mean, you might as well get it out of the way. And a Dallas series in the playoffs would be fun. I don't know if they could beat the Abs to you know, the Abs are just so good, but you never know. That's why you play the game. But it is going to be an uphill battle for the Wild to even win another playoff series of all years, you know, why couldn't they be good a couple of years ago and there was a weaker talent in the.
Speaker 2: And so you've got Quinn Hughes for sure under contract for this year and next year. Rumor has it that they're going to make a play to go after his brothers, oh in New York or New Jersey, you know, because they really he wanted to be with his brothers, as the rumor, yeah, and want him to be in a hockey town. We can't get any more hockey than Minnesota. And they're from Michigan. Well, unless you're in Detroit, you're not going to get closer to Michigan.
Speaker 3: Than and you're in Minnesota, But is that who they're thinking about trading the goalie for.
Speaker 2: No, they're talking about Vincent Trochek, but he's late thirties on the tail end of his career, you know, so you're not you don't want to give up yeah much.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's so there's been a rental basically, is what you're saying. Kind of like Don Baylor in nineteen eighty seven was a rental.
Speaker 1: Oh hold on, I gotta go back up there.
Speaker 3: Who came up huge, by the way in that rental role for us? So, I mean he was he was pretty key to us winning that World series. He was a twin for like two months. But good enough.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean good enough. It's all you need.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 3: You know, we're all Minnesota fans, so I'm just a little jaded, so we used to what happened. I'm just I'll wait and see. I don't get my homes up.
Speaker 2: And you're waiting for the shoe to fall, well or the hammer to fall.
Speaker 3: We'll watch the series when they played the first playoff round and keep our fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny. I mean I should have laughed, but at this appointment.
Speaker 3: You're just so done all we've been through a long drought.
Speaker 1: Fure of. It's okay, it's fine, Everything is fine.
Speaker 3: Other than the Timberwolves. So finally one playoff series.
Speaker 2: Easily, of all the cities that have at least three major sports franchises, we're in the longest drought.
Speaker 1: Oh, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Championship drought, that's what.
Speaker 3: That's only because the Cavaliers won one NBA title. Other Cleveland be just as miserable as us.
Speaker 1: Right, I found it. It took me forever. I can't believe I forgot some blades.
Speaker 3: Cleveland the home of Pro Bowl quarterback s Shanders.
Speaker 2: All right, next, speer man me find it.
Speaker 1: I gotta go back up here, get rid of this sound too. All right, go ahead.
Speaker 2: We we know who's playing in the Super Bowl. It's so we got the uh New England Patriots.
Speaker 1: Welcome back and well grown back.
Speaker 2: The Saint Louis Seattle Seahawks, who happened to be led by.
Speaker 1: Who they're led by. Four Minnesota Ens player was signed with the Seattle Sea Chickens last this past year off season for US. I think it was a seven year deal, A lot a lot of money but good for him.
Speaker 2: It was one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't scenarios, you're gonna see people tearing of vikings left and right now that they should have re signed Donald.
Speaker 1: I'm literally laughing hard about it.
Speaker 3: I don't mind the fact that they didn't resign him, because you know, those two last games of course that he played were horrific and really his fault that we did not win those games. But you got to have a better backup plan. I mean putting your trust in an unproven quarterback and then bringing in a has been as your backup and then you know, it just did not It was they didn't prepare well enough for what happens if he's not good or if he gets hurt, because you got to have two quarterbacks, right, and that's where we really fell down. But good for Sam Donald. We weren't gonna pay him that money anyway, you know that.
Speaker 2: So he did get the thirty to thirty five per Jack did range that. They said it would have taken Minnesota to sign him from Seattle. However, there the flip side to that argument is they wouldn't have been able to sign some of these other pieces that they tried site that they signed in order to try and fix, like the offensive line. Who one guy wound of missing half the year concussion.
Speaker 3: Told you money, well spent there.
Speaker 1: My inside source who's a Giants he's a Giant Colts fan told me like, that's a bad idea.
Speaker 2: Well, he was fifty percent right. I mean it's his best friend. It's not an inside source.
Speaker 3: And they still have issues at offensive line, right, So, I mean, yeah, it's just I thought it was poor planning more you know, anything else.
Speaker 2: At this I was always like, Okay, it's basically McCarthy's rookie season. He's gonna have bumps in the road, there's gonna be growing pains. He's it's how does he learn from it? How does he grow from it? And it evolved into the point over the course of the season is that it's not a matter of if he's gonna get hurt again, it's when.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, injuries are one part of it. But there was time Zhonene he looked horrible. Oh yeah, I mean, I mean worse than Christian Ponder.
Speaker 1: Let the bow.
Speaker 3: I mean you couldn't. I mean you watched and went, oh my, oh my god, that's the guy, We're gonna put everything in he I mean, the throw was so far off, but.
Speaker 2: Then he'd make a throw and you're like, holy crap.
Speaker 3: Well I did ran. He ran, so we don't get haven't seen that in fifteen twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brett, you don't see Brad Johnson on there.
Speaker 2: But he was running for his life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he wasn't running purposefully. So well, no, at least I think they've acknowledged one that they didn't plan well enough, and two they aren't gonna let that happen again, where we might have a quality second quarterback other than the guy who we hope turns out.
Speaker 1: To be good.
Speaker 2: There there's a floated rumor.
Speaker 3: Berett Farv's coming back.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, great, I would love that.
Speaker 2: Eden Geffrey's favorite quarterback has there's it's just hearsay right now, there's not any weight. But there's been some trade ideas pitched, by the way for who is Joe Burrow?
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, he's been linked to us, you know, So would.
Speaker 2: You trade JJ McCarthy and a first drum pick for Joe Burrow?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Probably why not.
Speaker 2: He's at least proven, he's been to a Super Bowl Dustin? Was it Dustin or Brewster, but he's been hurt the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: I think it was Dustin, and I agree too. He has been hurt a lot. And I mean, great, your this is great fantasy wise for if you're playing Madden, but the real word they're working. You look at the cap of this. He has a lot of money tied in it. And then you'll look at the other cap from JJ if you're sending him, Look at that signing the other side of it. How much money you're going to be giving him if.
Speaker 3: He leaves well, and when we you know, when you think about the salary cap, that just will limit us because we clearly need other people. I mean, we can't just rely on who we come coming back with.
Speaker 2: So the pitch was JJ McCarthy Jonathan Grenard, who may be a cap casualty anyways.
Speaker 3: Oh, because I was gonna say, we don't want to lose him.
Speaker 2: He's good and a first round pick for Joe Burrow Brow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then we wouldn't have any money to do anything else, just like Cousins Contra screwed us.
Speaker 2: But so what they're saying is that Grenard may be a cap casualty as well as Hawkinson and Turner showed enough flashes this year that he may be able to slide in and replace Grenard, but Hackinson hasn't been the same since his knee injury. Thanks Detroit, Well that just happened.
Speaker 3: All your honey on the Bengals next year because that means whoever we has as a quarterback and give up, they're going to win the Super Bowl. So McCarthy is going to turn into a stud and win it with Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: That would be classic Minnesota.
Speaker 3: It'd be a miracle because Cincinnati is worse than we are, but they do have good receivers.
Speaker 1: This is what I sent the gift to the guys, all these Viking fans. Uh, it's a Lloyd Christmas on a scooter. Just laughing when as soon as Sam Donald made it, Oh yeah, I just giggled.
Speaker 3: Well, my oldest daughter texted me, I'm so sorry to add about how you know? Sam Donald? I'm like, what't you sorry? It's good for him, It's our fault.
Speaker 2: Well, he's just really good.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 2: He showed that he could overcome.
Speaker 1: Right. He's been through a lot too, a lot of different teams.
Speaker 3: I think everybody can pull from.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't feel bad for him, and it was a decision we made. I don't necessarily disagree it was the right decision based on the circumstance, but obviously, yeah, he's made it through, and good for him because there was you know, I don't think any of us doubted he could play. He got us to fourteen and three, right, I mean, that's pretty good, and he was definitely not a case Keenum where that was just like a one in a dark miracle.
Speaker 1: And by the way, he's still playing. He's a third three quarterback for the for the Texans, is he really yep?
Speaker 2: Was the backup quarterback for the Bears this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought he was with the Texas, but he's still in the league.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well why not.
Speaker 2: He was Caleb Williams backup this year.
Speaker 3: Jesus Chris Keenum still around, Christian Ponder is not playing, right, he's not a backup anywhere.
Speaker 1: His wife is around though. It's all got to know.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, But from a Super Bowl perspective, I could care less. I really don't. The Patriots have won enough, but I do like how they've re resurrected themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It feels different though, because they actually did have a couple down years.
Speaker 3: Yes, and they have different people.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, it's not Bill Check and they're still and all these other people. But I I really wanted to see Josh Allen finally everybody.
Speaker 3: Oh they got hosed.
Speaker 1: Speak of that.
Speaker 2: What's the catch, Brian?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And the interference calls come on. I mean it was pretty brutal for them. I feel bad for Buffalo fans. They're like Minnesota, man, there's nobody that can feel our pain anymore so than the Bill fans and Bill's mafia because they've been through it.
Speaker 2: Sean McDermott was this era's version of Andy Reid in Philadelphia?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 3: How many chances are you gonna get?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And was it the coach's fault?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I felt bad for, uh, for the Ravens because Tomlin, like Tom allegedly stepped down, but I think he was gonna get ship canned anyways.
Speaker 3: But uh, the Steelers, Yeah, yeah, the Ravens.
Speaker 1: The Ravens, Yeah, well, they just kind of weird. But it's crazy.
Speaker 2: What's crazy is.
Speaker 1: Harbaugh?
Speaker 2: Tomlin and who else was the third one Dustin mentioned.
Speaker 1: All had.
Speaker 2: Great regular season records, but the seasons that they had bad years, their starting quarterback missed at least four games and they happened to miss the playoffs those years.
Speaker 3: But you got to win the big one eventually, right.
Speaker 2: Well, Tomlin won one back and for.
Speaker 3: His first year, I think, yeah, a long time ago. Same with Harbaugh. Hading won one in a while, which is what's frustrating.
Speaker 2: Twelve or thirteen, they had their opportunities, right well, and you're wasting l Lamar's prime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and look at us. O'Connell hasn't won a playoff game.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I like O'Connell, But at the same time, Mike got.
Speaker 3: To win a game in the postseason. I mean, same with the wild I mean, you just can't keep going in perpetual motion, just getting there. That's Minnesota in a nutshell, right, just good enough to be okay, good enough okay, and get a mediocre draft pick.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, we're always kind of rebuilt. We're always drafting in the load of mid twenties because we're just good enough but not quite good enough to get over the hill.
Speaker 3: So personally, I don't know if I'll even care you know who wins, but go for Sam Darnold. I guess just to rub it into us even.
Speaker 1: More, I've I know if you want to talk about it, We're gonna do a Super Bowl party at your place. I do have Silver Bullet. Guys are gonna be over, so Sam and uh Travis Trafts will be over, so it'll be nice. Kenny's a hit, miss you may or may not. Kind of got beat out on that one, but I plan on making wings like I have been doing. Wanton's take a little bit of time. I found out I did buy a.
Speaker 2: Pork roast, so smoke some pulled pork.
Speaker 3: They still the two weeks off though, Right's yeah, this Sunday, it's.
Speaker 1: The next Sunday.
Speaker 2: This Sunday is the joke of a Pro Bowl football and now it's just a skills competition.
Speaker 1: And then I missed the old Do you remember the Quarterback Club? There was a video game, the Super Nintendo had a game called Quarterback Club, and it was the best to me football game out there. And I love that damn thing you would like game? Sorry, sorry, coach, I did I have it? Actually second first and second one up actually upstairs a loft on the PlayStation two.
Speaker 2: Why don't you wheel?
Speaker 1: Oh shit, okay, spin Okay, it's that one then Heed.
Speaker 4: Time, Now just spin the wheel. That time I went to the bed smoked meats. You messed up a ron dots on soccer, balls on women. It's top lights video games.
Speaker 1: So we're all video gamers. Might as ll us do this. What's some of the best video games you played? H Brian, Oh my god, I mean you talked about you talked about pac Man and Pong and stuff. Already.
Speaker 3: What time frame, what ever? Through the beginnings to now.
Speaker 2: The eras have all their defining games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean for me personally, I just remember we really loved in television football. That was kind of the first football game. I remember the play with it. We did that. I always scored, like the end around, but of course, you know, it was kind of hokey graphics and things like that. Then first Nintendo game Man. That was when I was in college, so we played all and we kept, you know, track of the games and all of that. Hockey of course, was part of that. Zelda was a big game back then too.
Speaker 1: I mean that I still play that too. Yeah, the original, they've.
Speaker 3: Got new versions now too original updated, But yeah, Zelda was one of the original Obviously you got Super Mario Brothers, and then Sega Genesis came along, so Sonic the Hedgehog and all of that. That was the eighties and that's kind of what that kind of the heyday of video games from a beginnings perspective. And now, man, I you know, I've got what you know, I'm trying to think of what games I've been playing. I haven't played many recently, and most of them now don't even require a disc you can use.
Speaker 1: That's my five.
Speaker 2: I don't like that, no, no, because and so there's actually some debate going around now too about if you spend sixty dollars for the license, do you own the game or not, because now you've got they're taking the server down after so long, even though you paid for.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, yeah, when it's kind of out of date now and they're ending it's run per se. Yeah, good point. I mean otherwise, I I like it because then that stupid disc can't get scratched and the game is ruined and you know, halfway through or whatever. But I did the far Cry games. I like the Red Damp four, Red Dead, Redemption right too. And I Fallout fall I've.
Speaker 1: Not played all the Fallouts. I played like the beginning ones.
Speaker 2: I did a lot of Call of Duty.
Speaker 1: I did play a lot of car like in the heydays were like black Opps Black Ops two with the lobbies were electric.
Speaker 2: It got it got a little re gurgitated and recycled.
Speaker 3: And I like the things with missions and accomplished. And that's when it's open like that, and you're playing against other people that just didn't appeal the.
Speaker 2: Open like Fortnite, yeah, you know, and where Call of Duty moved like I love the storyline. Yeah, yeah, you know, like the World War two one that was awesome.
Speaker 3: Just like oh you had said it earlier, I forget the Assassin's Creed. Yeah, there's a storytelling, right, I mean it's not open and then it's both. It's both, right yeah, yeah, just like Red Dead all right, you.
Speaker 1: Were soft guys who make Assassin Creed whatever, they're sitting closed the door that closes like for their studios and cut a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Bummer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they've already hashed or kind of put away some.
Speaker 3: Of the they've done a million of those things.
Speaker 2: So I'm a big history nerd me too, and I would I've always told a couple of my buddies that are big into Assassin's Creed, I would have loved to see a World War two era like Assassin's screen where they're trying to like battle the Nazis.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, in the Japanese and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always thought that would be cool.
Speaker 3: I think it would be cool if they just did a whole revolutionary war game like Call of Duty, except with a revolutionary war everything weapons, strategy, geography, try to win America's independence.
Speaker 2: There's a board game called Risk.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that game takes forever and it never never, like never finished, just like Monopoly. Nobody ever finished the game Monopoly. Someone always flips that god damn bored over out of here.
Speaker 3: Funny.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's some of the video games. Like what I play right now. It's like a SIM Cities game, but it's called ship It's some city. That's not the name, but it's some that is a word for some city. Uh but no, it's it's it's like a it's like a SIMS game CIT game and it's it's so it's been out for like least five years, and you I.
Speaker 2: Can never go wrong either with maddenhl NBA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, those that's and I've just met you know. Tiger Woods was such a fun Oh.
Speaker 2: I loved Target. Do you remember when it first came out on the PS one? And if you would play multiplayer, you could while your opponent was playing, you could push buttons and it'd be like like he was playing with his glove and stuff.
Speaker 1: Nice. We had Halo as ours and we had guys in the other room go to four against four. It was the greatest time.
Speaker 4: You hear.
Speaker 2: They used to do that when I was going to school at bs U up in Oak Hall. On the very top floor is basically just giant open areas and there was some kitchen nets in there and whatnot, and we would do some events and stuff in there. But there was guys that Yeah, they would have land parties in there.
Speaker 1: I don't think we ever did that at the You. I mean I did other things.
Speaker 2: I didn't do it, but I mean I did.
Speaker 1: I did other things at the you that were.
Speaker 2: You never went to class in your one semester there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but also I went ahead of pin Tech. I was there for a year. Yeah, but I was there. You know how hard is getting too the you you gotta be kind of smart, and you pissed it away. Yeah, at a three point six and calls because I actually cared, unlike my high school where I had a two point two. Anyways, damn kids, damn kids. All right, Uh, anything else for about the games you have? No, it's okay. Cool, So we'll just let me get to the fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Are we gonna take a quick little.
Speaker 1: We are gonna take a little break. While they were gonna play our ads, I was trying to get to the music. So kids keep trying to find the music for it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: So when we come back, we're gonna do misconnections. We're gonna do whiskey Pedia, and we'll find some other things to talk about. Uh.
Speaker 3: And if you talk about our fantasy football.
Speaker 2: League would be a source up.
Speaker 1: Yeah for you or not? Sorry, you got your teeth kicked in.
Speaker 3: But I finished, like then, I finished kind of middle of the road.
Speaker 2: We were talking about it. At one point, I got.
Speaker 3: To five hundred.
Speaker 2: You at one point you had like top ten or top five in points scored, but you also had the most points.
Speaker 3: Scored against me. Yeah, that's usually how it works for me. But I thought I got back to five hundred because it was brutal at the beginning. I'm like, oh, I embarrassed.
Speaker 1: I've never seen it, and I think I became last. I was like, this sucks. I lost Hearst, I lost like three other really good players, Like this is not gonna go.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, yeah, I think I won. I was one of the longer ones in the Survivor League though.
Speaker 2: I lasted up until week fourteen or fifteen.
Speaker 3: Wow, this guy was week six or something. I'm like, I'm doing good in this all.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna come back. We got all this fun stuff like misconnections and whiskey Pedia all up. Next, listen to beer Belly Spoots.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm doing, and I'm drunk enough to really enjoy doing it.
Speaker 1: So there was that Beer Belly Sports podcast.
Speaker 4: People need to be entertained.
Speaker 3: They need the distraction. I wish to God that somebody would do something to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream over and over.
Speaker 1: Why do they come to me to die? Why do they come to me to die? Okay, here's the guys, beer Belly Sports. Hey Brews, why are you loading a recliner, a TV, and a fridge into your truck.
Speaker 8: Because I just saved one hundred bucks at home. Choice in Bomigie, use the promo code BBS as in Beer Belly Sports.
Speaker 1: Hold up, you actually use a promo code.
Speaker 8: Heck yeah, mentioned beer Belly Sports in store and boom, one hundred bucks off your items.
Speaker 1: I'm heading there right now. Do they sell cagarraiders?
Speaker 8: Oh, they've got everything, furniture, appliances, electronics, you name it.
Speaker 2: Head to home choice in Bomigie today, promo cod BBS or Beer Belly Sports in store to get one hundred dollars off your purchase.
Speaker 7: This is Lois from the Knob and Cattle Restaurant and Lounge where we serve our smoked prime rib Wednesday through Saturday night along with our maid from scratch soups and desserts. Come enjoy one of our delicious appetizers like our smoke and poppers or our Walleye bites dipped in our own housemaide batter and served with our signature tartar sauce. On Thursday evenings, you can enjoy live music with Lois two miles east of Iaska State Park on Highway seventy one. We're open noon to nine Wednesday through Saturday, and we're ready to serve you.
Speaker 2: The Knob and catt Qality farmsta Head to Angie's Acres in Achin Minnesota. We're your local source for one hundred percent wag U steaks, delicious pork, poultry products, premium ground beef, and fresh garden vegetables, all raised and grown with care. Order online anytime at Angie's ACRESMN dot com or call two one eight five one five three eight nine zero. We also do local drop offs. Check our Facebook page to see when we'll be near you. From our farm to your table the way nature intended.
Speaker 4: Take your next gathering legendary with Herbert and Gerbert's catering. Why settle for the ordinary when you can have extraordinary subs and sides this holiday season. Take the worry out of your meal planning with Erbert and Gribbert's Colossus boxes, giant soups, creamy mac and cheese and sides. It'll make everybody smiley. Big groups, small groups, hungry groups take cater to them all. Unwrap the flavor with Erbert and Gribbert this season and call it in or order online to make your holiday extra delicious. Herbert and Gibberts on the corner of fifteen ten Vimagi Avenue.
Speaker 3: Looking for fast and reliable internet service, choose Paul Buny Communications your local broadband cooperative. Switch today and choose from two great deals. Save twenty dollars a month on our gigabit Internet service for a full year, or get your first two months of internet service free, and both offers include a year of free gigazone Wi Fi service. Don't wait switch to Paul Bunyan Communications powered by the gigazone. Sign up now at Paul Bunyan or visit us in Bimidgi or Grand Rapids Summer shirp since may apply call for details.
Speaker 2: So we're just gonna wing it.
Speaker 1: There's a big difference between winging it and seeing what happens.
Speaker 2: Now, let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: So where is that Beer Belly Sports podcast?
Speaker 8: Are you a fan of Minnesota sports?
Speaker 1: Do you need some Minnesota gear?
Speaker 3: If those are both a.
Speaker 8: Yes, go to sodastick dot com to get your original Minnesota inspired goods. If you haven't seen this stuff yet, you gotta check it out. One of my favorites design is the Minnesota Moon by Randy Moss or the John Randall Hatton I'm actually wearing right now. All of their appail is designed and screenprinted here in Minnesota on supersoft supercomfy shirts and hoodies.
Speaker 1: You'll love it.
Speaker 8: We're going to hook you up with fifteen percent off your next order. Use the promo code beer Belly one word for fifteen percent off. That is a sodastick dot com designed by Minnesotan's for Minnesotans. Code beer Belly for fifteen percent off your next order.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. It's time for Matt's favorite portion of the show. It's the Hooray the game portion.
Speaker 1: Hooray.
Speaker 2: We get to listen to Matt poorly read misconnection not wrong, stumble through, and show off his seventh grade reading ability.
Speaker 1: Six established last time. Sixth grade.
Speaker 2: Sixth grade in South Dakota is like graduating everywhere else.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. Sixth grade reading right now. Show titles, People don't know what I do, but the second half of a lot more show title than the first one.
Speaker 2: So we were gonna come back and we got some misconnections. We're gonna test Matt's memory on some recycled Wiskipedia.
Speaker 1: I'm very very nervous on this, so it's it's not Bruce always say Bruce, and I always say, like, if we get one, that's good.
Speaker 2: They're not that hard.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, do you like trivia, Brian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't mind. It depends on what kind of trivia and good at sports and music?
Speaker 2: Well a lot of it's just general, allegedly wide encompassing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Remember this guy has two business degrees. He's kind of smart, so he when Bruce and I Bruce, Okay, Bruce knows this, and I don't like you saying it. I'm gonna say anyways, he didn't graduate from high school. I barely passed. I have a lot of friends. I'm a salesman too.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so this is more general knowledge pursuit.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, bar trivia.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's tough though, but we'll do when do misconnection first? You want to do Wiskipedia, Oh, don't break that.
Speaker 2: You can do yours. Okay, I'll figure out which one.
Speaker 4: I'm we'd rather just read something that other people wrote and poorly at that. It's time for misconnections with Matt Jeffrin.
Speaker 1: All Right, this first one is in Evanstone. Has anyone ever had a misconnection here? I feel this is a little crazy to post, but I figured it's worth a shot, if only to finally make peace with that what feels like a misconnection typically a shy person, which is why I did not approach him in the moment, and hopefully people would not be too unkind for me to be sharing my experience. Last spring or summer, headed out shopping with a family member near Saint Luke's Church in Evanstone. Standing nearby a man with black, dark hair and dark features, partly next to his parked car, possibly a hon this cr or something similar. We locked eyes and there was a There was something that about that moment stayed with me. Even as I walked away, I turned my head and saw him watch me, watch with a with with what felt like a calm and warm presence. I didn't truly intrust. Sorry, I didn't feel intrusive, distasteful, or uncomfortable. I felt simply different. I brushed it off at first, thinking it was overthinking a passing moment, but the family member with me commented on the peaceful look in his eyes and how gently he watched me as I walked away. I have no expectations and understand that life doesn't always bring people back together. I just wanted to share this. Has anyone Has anyone ever experienced a misconnection in Evanstone? Hmmm? Have you experience a misconnection? Name where Scott?
Speaker 2: Not that I felt need to put you onto the internet.
Speaker 1: And it's always the best, So Brian, if you don't, if you, if you forgot what misconnections? I basically read what people trying to throw their love out there home for the best. This used to right it is these are I don't worry. I'll get there later. I do a set from Minnesota that's on Craig Sweet and there's a couple that are pretty close. Uh. Next one misconnection London, I mail thirty two made a very cute blonde met a very cute blonde girl on my way back from the Club comedy club in Camden, London on Saturday night, and we hit it off immediately. I got her first name in neighborhood before she left, but foolishly didn't ask for a contact detail as nerves got the better of me. She's not my usual type, but I felt a little kicking. I felt, I felt I've been kicking myself just a little bit for not seizing a glaring opportunity. Do I just let her go use it for a learning curve or somehow trying to find her in the city of roughly nine million people.
Speaker 3: Oh, I definitely think you should try to find her. Oh you what, get on your get on your high horse and start walking around to London.
Speaker 1: To start Facebook stocking her. Uh.
Speaker 3: Also a good excuse to go to every pub until you find her.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not that's that's not wrong with that pup crawl. You don't call it pup crawl.
Speaker 3: There you go do the pub crawl and maybe you'll see her again.
Speaker 1: I love that perfect Okay, next one, This is in New York City Misconnection seven point thirty at Pulse jan Jan twenty seven. If the girl who said bless you after I sneezed halfway through the Pulse is here or someone knows who this is, please reach out. She was wearing a mask with a with bells on it and couldn't stop smiling the entire entire of the show. How do you know she's smiling you if she's wearing a mask that I don't and you're obviously the club. You can't see it. It blew my mind when I read that. I was like, I gotta save that one.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think the odds are good that you'll find that person.
Speaker 1: Bruce would Bruce would always say just.
Speaker 3: Go back because she said bless you. Yeah, that never works for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, noted.
Speaker 2: Way too far.
Speaker 1: I would never do that.
Speaker 3: Allegedly, it seems like a pretty easy.
Speaker 2: Put line Dustin what was the over under on? Allegedly this week someone else said that too.
Speaker 1: They stamped me and said, like, I want to put an over under on your show for for Allegedly.
Speaker 2: It's like Matt well, Travis, there is no video.
Speaker 1: I think he's just playing off what Aiden said. But that's fine.
Speaker 3: It's for the better. They don't need to see us.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no. Plus, that's a lot of work to do anyways. Um, woman from Bundle in Aken, Minnesota, this is close, this is really close.
Speaker 3: Maybe she saw one of us.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm looking for a woman name.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a no then, you know, I mean, who knows.
Speaker 2: I guess Matt's known to dress different.
Speaker 1: Time out, time out, time out, there's anything on your mic off time out, technical technical errors, over here, timeouts.
Speaker 2: Technical foul, technical foul.
Speaker 1: Oh no, were fourteen fourteen with the body there, we go to your number. Uh so woman from Bundle.
Speaker 3: Women from Bundle ache in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Yep, I'm looking for a woman named Kathleen who was talking to me on Bumble, who lives in Achin. I thought we had a great rapport last night. But when I messaged you, I saw your profile was deleted. If you see this, please email me. I love to keep chatting with you. You didn't win, you did? Yeah, you suck?
Speaker 2: She picked somebody else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that happens, or it wasn't real to begin with.
Speaker 1: Around what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't imagine. There's a plethora of women from ah huh.
Speaker 3: Now, isn't that more of a friend thing than a romantic thing? There's Bumble has both, Okay, so it's hard to say whether so when he's looking for romance or a friend.
Speaker 2: So it depends when you when you sign up. Yes, details, Well I was on it last year before I met my girlfriend, Okay, before I met my now girlfriend, who I didn't meet on No, you didn't you You're welcome. But when you sign up for Bumble, it says are you looking for? Friendship? Are you looking for and so it puts you in a different bucket depending on what what you're looking for?
Speaker 3: All right, and it's what bumble?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: Is there a senior bumble?
Speaker 1: Senior? Write that one down to things for another one your Oh that's a senior but whatever, not.
Speaker 2: That you're there yet. But isn't that called the nursing home?
Speaker 1: Damn, that's cold, that's our guess.
Speaker 2: That's why I said he's not there yet.
Speaker 1: Quite there still.
Speaker 3: Anyway, it's a lot closer than you.
Speaker 2: Guys will be forty this year will go well.
Speaker 1: Bruce and Dustin are like I think Bruce is thirty forty three and this is Dustin like forty two forty three, No similar.
Speaker 3: Forty best years of your lives.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it, yeah, since we all love a l To the anxious this is in Hudson, by the way, but it shows me Richfield. But anyways, to the anxious now in the air is so reminists of twenty twenty and I think about that time. Oh sorry, I want to read this in different boys. I've realized what this was. The anxiety now is in the air, and it is so eminent. Are remnants of twenty twenty and I think about that time and you, you and me as and now I should just furious about it, and I start over, Wow, Matthews, furious, This is furious, and I should just be furious all about it, and I am. But also I miss you. I miss feeling like you were. You knew what to do, and you believed in and I believed in you believed in cupboards cheese, And I'm I'm Mari's done of the fucking maris are. But in all of all and all of it, yes, much was you and much was not. But I miss it. That was a lot of words meaning a lot of nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, she They didn't even indicate who they were looking for.
Speaker 2: They just missed it, just missed it.
Speaker 1: This was in Fargo, last one, by the way, looking for you in Fargo. This is a good About thirteen years ago, I posted on here looking for a third You said a reply, and I stopped over and had some fun. You were a short, blonde gal, and I will and it would be cool to see you again. I would love to will, I would love to please you again. Get back to me if you see.
Speaker 3: This thirteen years later.
Speaker 2: What that's a lot of life experience in that timeframe.
Speaker 3: Wow, he really must be desperate though, if you're thinking about something and that was not like a relationship at that point even yeah, just a hookup?
Speaker 1: Right? He hit it? He had a colt snag? Should I leave?
Speaker 2: How's that been for you?
Speaker 1: Let? Well? Do you do you want?
Speaker 2: Or should we just jump into it?
Speaker 1: We want to jump into it? All right, I'll find music for you.
Speaker 2: Then I'll go with five questions. Okay, so this is one that we've done before. All right, back on November twentieth of twenty four, So Brenda Wahar.
Speaker 1: Question number one, all right, give me yes or note for for the play button? Right?
Speaker 2: Okay? How long before you can pick a pineapple?
Speaker 1: Is there a timeframe to have like a yes? Okay, what's my time frame?
Speaker 3: In?
Speaker 1: Like ten years? Five years, a couple of months?
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Damn it?
Speaker 2: If I say one of those two, that make it a lot easier.
Speaker 1: All right, that's what I want. I want to say.
Speaker 2: Two and a half two and a half?
Speaker 1: What years? That is?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: Alrighty? Question number two, we got one verse? What is the river that flows through the Grand Canyon?
Speaker 3: Come on, th real, No, Colorado.
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: That is correct? Damn now already? Question number three, which band same saying the famous theme song I'll be there for You for friends?
Speaker 1: Oh come on, I love friends too. For one reason, we should have a queue up.
Speaker 3: To Monica now, yeah, when the Rain.
Speaker 1: I know the song, I just don't know who it is, the Bushwhackers.
Speaker 2: That is incorrect.
Speaker 3: It is the brands Rembrands their only hit.
Speaker 2: Yes it was, they were one hit wonder all right, mister beer salesman, Oh damn it, okay. Miller Light is considered the first nationally available light beer. What year was it introduced?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Sweet?
Speaker 1: Uh, nineteen seventy three?
Speaker 2: That was close. It was nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 1: Can I still get it? I should get it right.
Speaker 3: Taste great? Let's feeling taste great? Like I grew up with those commercials. Oh, the Miller like commercials. Harry Car not Harry Carry, John Aden, And.
Speaker 1: That's what it is.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the bud Light frogs? Yeah, I do, early or the Budweiser frogs and the bud Light penguin.
Speaker 1: I don't remember the penguin.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the penguin.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Question number five Matthew let's speak Grant grand rabbits thing, how many vice presidents have assumed the presidency.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say six.
Speaker 2: It is nine.
Speaker 1: Ooh damn, a lot more than thought.
Speaker 2: And a bonus question for you, okay, And this one's so stupid it's funny. Which was invented first, the goalie helmet or the nutcup? The nutcup, that is correct. The nutcup was actually invented in eighteen seventy four, meaning it took almost seventy five years later before we decided it was important to protect our head. When the goalie helmet was invented in nineteen fifty nine.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you start waiting until like seventies, right.
Speaker 2: So it didn't become a league rule until the seventies that players had to wear helmets, and then.
Speaker 3: The grandfathered people in. Yep, So there was Willie Pllett never wore a helmet.
Speaker 2: Marty McSorley was the last one in the night late ninety eight. I remember watching the All Star Game and he was the last guy. Yep. And now it's even become visors that there's only a handful of guys in the league now that are grandfathered in for not having to wear a visor.
Speaker 3: Even I think they're insane. I mean, I took my mask off in the City Hockey League and got hit by a puck that was pil checked in front of me and had two black eyes. And I'm like, I don't know that anymore. Ye why not wear the face mask. I get the there's things that get near a line of sight, and maybe at that level of play that's a thing, But otherwise, I mean, I rather have my teeth in my nose, in my eyes.
Speaker 1: It makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, it was just like so I used to do when they still had city rink Nielsen Reese was open. Was it Wednesday or Thursday nights? You could just do the drop in, yep, And so I would do that one. And even softball. It amazes me how many guys are just treating it like it's Game seven of the Final. I gotta go to work tomorrow. Yeah, this is just for fun and shits and games.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold up, hold up, hold up? How many times have you bitched at like, Let's say.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wasn't competitive to the point though, where I was like.
Speaker 3: Treating hurting people right here me, Well, your.
Speaker 2: Feelings deserved to be mo unhitched the trailer, Matt runs into second and looking at.
Speaker 3: The older you get, the more you calm down. Because I was a Spas in my twenties, I'd be the guy yelling at the softball umpire.
Speaker 2: That was me two years ago.
Speaker 1: He yelled, were you okay?
Speaker 2: I was playing first base?
Speaker 1: Was that pitching? Because TJ? It was?
Speaker 2: Yeah. TJ was deployed and it was playoffs and we were It was one of those down to the wire games. And there was a ball that was hit by the way I know you listened to and it landed on this side of the line follow and he called it fair, and I was like.
Speaker 1: It was loud.
Speaker 3: It was major opinion known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was It was my retirement tour anyway, so I didn't care if I got thrown out.
Speaker 1: There. Good times, Like have you ever got home run in that field?
Speaker 2: No, I'll remember I cranked that one and it went like three feet folll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh. Get some home run bombers or some foul pole bombers warning power.
Speaker 3: I have never hit a home run in baseball or softball. I got one inside the park.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you're fast, huh, well.
Speaker 3: Fast, but no power. You look at me. I'm not exactly like the incredible Hulk here. I had no skill at getting the ball over the fence, but I could aim the ball.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: That's the beauty of baseball. You don't have to hit it over the fence to be good.
Speaker 2: I always loved it. So I was a left hand batter, and I always loved it. Especially in softball. They'd always shift over and I.
Speaker 3: Can bullsh it down the right kind of were like, well, and you know, the right fielder is usually the worst player, right. That seems to be the tradition. So I just hit it to the right fielder every time.
Speaker 1: Makes sense depending what league are in, but yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Or look for the week the weakest Lincoln for him. In toptball, you got plenty of time. I had never understood why people couldn't name it better baseball is. It's a little bit different.
Speaker 1: But there's been a few times where like, guys shift on me and I'm like Scott knows, like I'm gonna go this way, like because your hips, all you do is a just a little bit and this slap the other way.
Speaker 3: The people would go. Then they'd see me hitting it to right field and then they'd all shift over there and then I'd hit it down the left field line. Okay, just tell me where you're not gonna be.
Speaker 1: And you talk about like being old and being wise, like it's always the old guys, Like I tell them, we go straight up where it gets old people because they can go either or.
Speaker 2: You can put it where they want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, usually, and.
Speaker 2: It usually finds that gap between you know, like short outfield where they can just jog their way to first and yeah, just on base and then they get their runner over. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's many times we just play like a guy short or a guy come in more to play that like Darren and Peyton area.
Speaker 3: But then if they move him into the right field rover and I'd drop into the left center field and then get a double instead of a single.
Speaker 1: Happens a lot.
Speaker 3: But really I wish I could have hit a home run. That would have been fun.
Speaker 1: It would have been a lot of fun. Get one.
Speaker 2: I hit two in one game when I was playing in Grand Rapids. I had in the game, I had a good I had a good tail wind though, so it worked.
Speaker 3: Whatever I had that it's because your power, yeow.
Speaker 2: I hit I hit a couple that bounced straight off the top of the wall here. But I never hit one. I follow I hit one over.
Speaker 3: But the older you get, the more you're worried about the ball hitting you. I would be backing up further and farther, you know, That's what I would be in the grass sometimes with so I was, I.
Speaker 2: Was Matt and I were the first basement on our team left to do. I was the only guy on our team that would play in field and wear a cup. It was like I am not playing in field and not wearing a cup.
Speaker 3: Well, you never know how the ball is going to bounce.
Speaker 2: Well, especially on these fields. There's some days it's do you own a rake? Yeah, you know, leave a rake in the dugout so we can rake and bet or something.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I haven't played in a long time since they put that skate park in over there, but I'm guessing they got some damage.
Speaker 2: They lost field one. They shut that down for the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It actually they had those poles that were like this big round they got bent.
Speaker 1: That happens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but did you guys, would you guys play what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What league? We played? D Well? I started d one for a little bit and then went to D two for most of my time for stoptball. Then we played D three like last.
Speaker 2: Year, Wednesday. Wednesday night was the predominant night. In the last two years we played Monday night just because schedules with kids and stuff. It just got to be.
Speaker 1: Of course t J. Melcher wants to play. He was like, he's getting olders, like I couldn't play D three five. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, we played D three for a long time and we ended up winning the championship, and then the following year we wanted to again. Had they told us that if you win it two years in a row, you're mandated to go up in the next division, we would have on purposely lost because the only reason we're not playing to win a championship, we're playing because mondays work best for all of us.
Speaker 2: Yep. So it got to the point though, where so they had D one and D two both on Wednesday nights. Yeah, and they lost enough teams that they just but it was the same and so you had like two or three teams that were just amazing, and they were the guys that rolled up with matching wheelbags and and everything.
Speaker 3: Every other it is a home run.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and they can just crank the ball out.
Speaker 3: Twenty eight to six was the final score.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That and they get mad if a guy hits a solo home run and.
Speaker 1: I'm just having get damn ball out of damn outfield.
Speaker 3: Just don't strike out.
Speaker 1: Oh that's the worst. I think. I struck out once by looking.
Speaker 2: If you strike out looking, that one thing. If you follow out.
Speaker 1: We had rules too, if you fall out, it's like a six pack.
Speaker 2: We struck out looking.
Speaker 1: It was a case. Yeah, it's automatic. I had one, and I can't believe I did that. And ironic story, kind of ironic story. The last time I struck out looking was in baseball for town ball, for the Blue Ox. That was you know who? My LP was yep, shock Yeah, But I was playing in like first, I think the first one I never like. I'd never like to see the first swing of the first one. I kind of want to see how it comes out of his hand. But then first the second one, I was a strike, and then the second one I filed it. Third one was a ball, and then the fourth one I checked, but Shultzi had on the I guess on the outside, and I was like, no, I won't tell the restory. I'll tell the restory off here, but I remember I was not pleased with the call. Let's say that. I said a few words, a few choice words, but yeah, it was I missed playing ball, and I'm starting to get that itch again to like playball game. But my shoulder says no, my elbow says no.
Speaker 2: And so I retired two years ago. Last year, you guys didn't have a team just because nobody would commit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because eight is a girl play. And then I had like ten people. I can't do. I need like twelve people, and it was kind of tough.
Speaker 3: I hung it up at forty. That was enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so my son is twelve and he does travel ball. So two nights a week, I'm at the ball fields for night league and then two nights a week we're going to be at the field for travel ball practice.
Speaker 3: Absolutely the northern heat.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: Sweet, So that's fun. You got to do that. Yeah, you have no time to.
Speaker 2: My daughter's getting into softball now too, So she's got two nights a week and run, run, run, let the fun begin. I know what my parents went through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, Scott was thank are great sponsors for today, Herbert and Gerbert Sandwiches and soups.
Speaker 2: Make sure you download that Happen When you do get a free sandwich and it's soup season. Get Matt's favorite, the broccoli Cheese Yes.
Speaker 1: Also being brought to my seventh app Pizza Pizza four. It was trendy.
Speaker 2: The beautiful Nobby and Kettle located down in Lake Alice, Minnesota. Check them out on Thursdays for live music with Lows Friday and Saturery. Get some of the best primarom in the area. And apparently Travis said the Ruben is amazing.
Speaker 1: Super good. He loves the Ruben down there. Also brought to you by Home Choice right here but Major. Get one hundred dollars off of your purchase when you go inside the store. Use a promo code Beer Belly Sports.
Speaker 2: You can do if you want to also Soda Stick go to sodastick dot com, put in the promo code BBS and get fifteen percent off on us when you do.
Speaker 1: And last, but at least Brian.
Speaker 3: Paul Bunyon Communications powered by the gigazone. Absolutely that's all the legend the soda stick. How is it s O T A s O D A?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: S o t A so like Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Okay, look him out, great gear four Minnesota's by Minnesota's. I like it. So, all right, what have we learned today? Quickly?
Speaker 2: Good question. I didn't learn anything.
Speaker 1: I learned that you hit two home runs in Grand Rapids.
Speaker 3: I did, yes, and you hit one and you struck out the last time you struck out. Looking with Brian Schultz of Beaver Radio Network fame, I wish I could have played in a sport that when Brian was reughing, because then he would have seen me. He thinks. I yell at the refs a lot on the broadcast. You should have seen me in real life.
Speaker 2: Man, it's deserving. I've better ref two for hockey, so I know what it's like.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. Brian, would you learn? You said you learned too much?
Speaker 3: He just said it, Yeah, I just said, Brian caught you out on strikes?
Speaker 1: All right. I was thinking, all right, Well, what a great show.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the Beavers, they got another homestand coming up soon.
Speaker 3: And not this week. Next they're in the Marquette for Northern Michigan, who's won one game all season, so hopefully they can. The Beavers can end their eight game losing streak in two weeks.
Speaker 2: I know they're down in man Cato.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: So next week they're home against Farris State, who is in second to the last place. So hopefully they can make some hay here in the next couple of weeks. They need it, and the Teddy Bear Toss game is on the sixth. They got Friday night.
Speaker 2: They got some grown to makeup after getting swept by Bowling Green.
Speaker 3: Being swept by Michigan. Yeah, they got a lot of room to make up. But the good news is is they can do it still. There's still some time and they're facing the right opponents.
Speaker 1: We need it because back in the day we used to not be like this. Michigan Tech was always good, Ferris was always good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was never fun play and then Northern Michigan was good until Patoni left and then everyone went to hell.
Speaker 1: Yeah that happens, all right. Well, thank everybody listening. Think you to the rightest producers on site engineers known as all of us in the words are Ray Green, keep your stick on this, okay, bye, it's a leader.
Speaker 2: They're really getting desperation is a good sign. Soon they may panic and run away.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to Beer Belly Sports. This has been a Jeffrey Productions show, so now you just know it's gotta be quality.