Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosan house along with you as we join you this weekend from Sacramento, California, where, for the first time, the Guardians are playing Major League Baseball in this part of the state as it's the new home temporary for the Athletics, and there will be more games this weekend. Tonight Saturday night, a ten oh five first pitch, and then the road trip finale, finally coming to an end. This three city trip we'll be completed on Sunday afternoon with a four to zero five first pitch against the Athletics. Good show lined up for you today, we'll visit with Stephen Osterer, the vice president of player development for the Guardians. We'll have a minor league report for you later on in the show. We'll also hear from Dwayne Kuiper, the longtime television voice for the San Francisco Giants and a former Cleveland Indian. Always fun to catch up with Kaipe One we head out to the West coast Coco Cris will join us as well in the alumni corner, and we'll also hear from Lane Thomas, the Guardians outfielder, along with J. T. McGuire, the Guardians outfield instructor, who had a busy week this week over at Oracle Park in San Francisco. But first our weekend review. After an off day on Monday. Following a three game series sweep to the bad in Seattle last weekend, the Guardians were looking to get back on the winning track against the Giants and a big buzz in the city and at the ballpark, with the Giants acquiring slugger Ropael Devers from the Red Sox and he made his Giants' debut facing Guardian starter Slayed Seconi in the first inning two and two. The count on devors Seconi takes a look at Lee now the pitch swing and I miss strike three, locked him up inside.
Speaker 3: Just worked him, went inside.
Speaker 4: Then he went upstairs ninety six above the zone, changed the eye level and he got him to chase on this ball and he couldn't quite catch up with it.
Speaker 2: Later on in that first inning, the Giants picked up a run to take the early lead, but in the third Jonathan Rodriguez got something started for Cleveland. Rodriguez drives one up the alley right center field and it rolls all the way to the wall. Will it be triples alley for Rodriguez. He's gonna try and he'll be in with a stand up triple.
Speaker 4: That's exactly why they call it triples alley. He got a fastball up and a little bit out over the play where it can extend his arms in a beautiful pass at the ball. He didn't try to do anything but go with this pitch, and he just plugged the gap and right center and the ball trickled all the way to the wall, and that's an easy triple.
Speaker 2: And then Austin Hedges delivered to tie the game. Hedges hole for his last sixteen trying to come up big here with the infield in again, Rodriguez at third, the pitch to him, he's swung on and that's lifted high in the air to deep left back Is Ramos on the track makes the catch plenty deep enough to score Rodriguez as he tags and scores from third, and this game is tied at one. In the bottom of the third inning, Rafeael Devers got that first hit with his new team and RBI double, and that gave the As a two to one lead. But the Guardians responded in the fourth, a lead off double from David Fry brought Carlos Santana to the plate. There's a bouncing ball up the middle and on through a base. It in a center field at'll score Fry and tie this game at two. It's an RBI single for Carlos Santana. Two to two ball game here in the four.
Speaker 4: Boy, this is good offense going by here by The Guardians got that double in Santana with a nice job taking this breaking ball and waiting for it and then being able to use the middle of the field and driving it up that way and getting the run in.
Speaker 2: It's stay tied until the sixth inning. That's when Gabriel Aarius stepped in with one out. Here's the O two pitch swung on and here's a high fly ball to deep right center. This one's carrying headed to the gap way back there and it is gone a home run for Gabrielarius to a deep part of this ballpark, and Arius says, put the Guardians in front three to two.
Speaker 4: Boy, what a swing he put on that basketball early in this count. Robbie Rae just threw two right by him, and he wanted to throw another one right by him, but he wouldn't have it, and he launched that ball to the right center.
Speaker 2: The Giants threatened in the eighth inning with two men on and nobody out and a dangerous pinch hitter at the plate and Wilmer Flores he was facing Hunter Gaddis. Nobody out. In the eighth inning, Casey Schmidt the tying run at second, go ahead run Mike Yastremsky at first, the one two pitch swung on line drive to left coming on, Kwan makes the catch, throws back to second, double play. Schmid was off the bag and Kwan threw him out two down. Man Kwan was just getting started on his great night defensively. Gaddis picked up the final out in the eighth and it was still a one run lead in the ninth, but the Giants wouldn't so quietly. A walk in two singles loaded him up with one out, and once again Amannual Classe was on trying to battle his way out of it. Classe sets here's his O two swung on and here's a fly ball to left, Kuan circling under it, makes the catch, tagging and.
Speaker 3: Not coming home is Lee.
Speaker 2: Kuan's throw is a beauty and Lee went about ten steps and went back to third.
Speaker 4: Well, Kwan did such a good job not only getting to this ball, but he got his momentum going towards the plate and he got off to a very quick throw.
Speaker 3: Lee rock watching it. He was tagging and he stopped. And that was a short hop throw in.
Speaker 4: There that was not handled, and luckily he stopped for the Guardians.
Speaker 2: So two outs, basses loaded. Casey Schmidt, the batter, a right handed hitter. Classe sets up high.
Speaker 3: Here's the one.
Speaker 2: Two swing and I missed strike three and the Guardian win a tonight in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: They hang on.
Speaker 2: For a three to two victory as Classe comes up big with the bases loaded.
Speaker 3: What a finish.
Speaker 2: On Tuesday night in San Francisco, the Guardians a winner. They would try and make it two straight over San Francisco on Wednesday night, Guardians got the scoring started early first inning, a one out double from Kyle Manzardo brought Jose Ramirez to the plate. Here's the two swung on drilled right center base hit, headed for third and being waved around as Manzardo he'll score without a throw on the RBI single by Ramirez and the Guardians take the early lead. One nothing, still won nothing Guardians in the fourth. That's when they put two men on for Daniel Schneemann. Here's the two swung on and here's a high fly ball deep left center field.
Speaker 3: This has hit a ton and that ball is gone a home run.
Speaker 2: Daniel Schneeman to the opposite field, a three run blast, and Cleveland is now up for nothing.
Speaker 4: Another center cut basketball by Erlander, who thrown at ninety four. Can't overpower hitters right there like he used to, and Schneemann made him pay. I mean that was hit high and hit deep to the opposite gap, showing some power.
Speaker 2: The Giants got something back in the fifth inning, a two run home run from Elliott Ramos, but the Guardian's bullpen took over and as usual, they shut down the opposition. Here's the one two from Smith swing and I missed strike three. Hey got him with the heat. Ramos down on strike, Sider retired. We're headed to the eighth Guardians four, Giants two. Here's his pitch and that swung on popped him up foul territory on the infield first base side. Manzarno puts it away and Heron does the job. We are headed to the ninth it's the Guardians for the Giants two. And then the annual Classe was back out there in the ninth inning trying to nail down another save. Classe ended it with a strikeout. Last night there comes as two to two called strike three and Closse does it again. So do the Guardians as they defeat the Giants tonight by a final score a four to two. So a good couple of nights in San Francisco for the Guardians, but the Giants would come back and salvage the finale of the series on Thursday afternoon, a two to one win over Cleveland. And then it was on the Sacramento for a Friday night contest against the Athletics, who won it five to one. And then now it's on to Saturday night in Sacramento for the Guardians in the road trip finale on Sunday afternoon. Stay with us while we come back. We'll talk outfield play with J. T McGuire and visit with center fielder Lane Thomas. That's next on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Switching to Progressive is a game winning call, and that reminds us of other game winning calls in the history of sports.
Speaker 6: It was a doubleheader in August and really hot inside the concession stand, so instead of winning for people to come to me, I figured I'd walk around yelln hot, and that's how I became the first hot dog vendor in sports.
Speaker 5: Okay, not really a game winning call, but it was a good call. You can make one two switch to Progressive and you could save hundreds. Progressive Casualty Insurance company and affiliates not available in all states.
Speaker 1: Here's the one O pitch, swung and hit pretty well to right deep and toward the corner.
Speaker 3: Joe on the run, Joe in the corner.
Speaker 7: This ball is gone, a three run home run. It just did clear the thirteen foot wall in that right field corner, and the Guardians with a three run home run right down the right field line by Lane Thomas.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly.
Speaker 2: Jim Rosenhouse along with you as we join you from Sacramento, California. The Guardians taking on the athletics here in Sacramento on a weekend series. Earlier in the week they were in San Francisco, And for Lane Thomas, that's been a good place for him as he has had some good success in the past in his career and he's trying to get going on this season. He's battled a couple of injuries so far, but he returned during the last homestand from his second stint on the IL, and he says he's feeling as strong as he has in quite some time.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: You know, I think I'm dealing with the wrist and the foot and just hadn't really felt like myself a whole lot in those those first you know, a month or two and miss some time, and you know, I feel like I'm you know, on the uptick, you know, on the.
Speaker 3: Rise a little bit.
Speaker 8: So I feel a lot a lot.
Speaker 9: Better running and you know in the outfield too, So I feel good about it.
Speaker 2: Everyone wants to have that perfect off season where you build up the way you want. How challenged were you that this off season to try and work through some things that just weren't going well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I still had the foot thing, and the off season got pretty bad. I took a little time off and it started to feel a little better. But that's tough to do the middle of the year. So you know, like I said, it's just something you have to deal with. It's part of doing what we do. And you know, I had, I guess, three pretty healthy years the last few years, and you know, it's just part of you hit those little roadbumps and it's just kind of how you come out of them.
Speaker 2: So the success you had late last season and on into the postseason, were you trying to manage that during that time and still being able to come through.
Speaker 9: Not to the extent you know lately, but I definitely still had it. Didn't really know what it was, but I was just starting to kind of get a little bit worse. And when I took some time off after the postseason, when I got home is kind of when it fired up pretty bad. So took care of it. It just it's just one of those things that it's tough to get to go away completely. So hopefully we've taken care of it.
Speaker 2: How hard is it to stay patient and get it taken care of properly, especially when you want to help your team, especially on that offensive end.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, you know, they're expecting you to go out and produce, and that's kind of what you know, what you stick around for is because you consistently do a good job and they trust you out there. So when you're dealing with something like that, you definitely feel the pressure to either get it fixed or keep rolling through it. So I you know, I tried my hardest to kind of fight through a couple of things, and you know, it just comes to a time when not helping myself or them, and you know, getting it, getting right and feeling good is the best thing for both sides.
Speaker 2: Lane, thanks for the time, appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 9: Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's Guardians outfielder Lane Thomas. And speaking of outfield play, JT McGuire is The Guardian's outfield instructor and he had his hands full over at Oracle Park in San Francisco, a ballpark that features several different fence heights in the outfield, and you have a brick surface out there as well, and some other things going on, especially in right field. It's the trickiest outfield in baseball according to some and JT says they had to do a little more work to prepare for things at an unfamiliar ballpark for the Guardians.
Speaker 10: Not only just the dimensions, it's the wind factors. So you have right field, which is just odd in itself, and then you have the ballpark factors of wind coming off of the ocean and how that can switch just dramatically.
Speaker 2: So yesterday pregame prior to the series opener, I saw you out there trying to hit some fungos off the right field wall.
Speaker 8: There's bricks, there's.
Speaker 3: Cage type stuff.
Speaker 2: You hit a few out into mcuvey Cove too, it I saw you, and you're gonna go get those and bring those back in.
Speaker 10: I just figured me and Barry Bonds might have something in common, so wanted to put one in McVey Cove.
Speaker 2: What did you learn though at firing them off the bricks and and then the screening and then all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: So it really has like almost four different types of surfaces. You have the brick, then you have the lettering, which is totally different, it's like almost aluminum. Then you have the fencing, and then you have the padding, and then I guess you can add one more factor of like the different types of polls that connect everything together. So really, like what we told our outfielders is if the balls hit over your head, specifically your right fielder, the balls.
Speaker 8: Hit over your head.
Speaker 10: Almost play it like field of dreams, where once you approach that warning track, like we don't go on the warning track only because that ball can bounce on different directions, So we don't want to scramble and chase the ball. We want to let the ball hit the wall wherever part of the wall it hits, and then we want to assess where to go. And then from a center fields perspective, you have the Willie Mays McCovey numbers that are retired that faces more towards right field, but after that it shoots out towards centerfield, so the center fielder has to be backing up and moving over in that direction as well if the ball hit to that area.
Speaker 2: So you're one outfielder who didn't have to deal with that. And the series opener had a game for the ages defensively and Steven Kwan throwing out a runner at second, stopping another runner from trying to tag and score the tying run. When you look at what he does, what do fans not see that allow him to be great defensively? When they do see him playing a game.
Speaker 10: So one of the things I think one of the most special things about Kwani is prior to a game even coming close to happening, he's on the outfield, whether it's a one on one or we have the entire outfielders, or whether it's batting practice, but he takes every single ret like it's a game. So regardless of like if we're on the road or at home, he plays balls off the wall. I can speak just for being at home. I feel like he knows where every ball is going to land off of the wall after it hits the wall. So he puts himself in an incredible positions to field carems off the wall. When we go to a new ballpark, he wants balls off of the wall. He does it in batting practice, so it almost becomes second nature to him. But the one thing that just sticks out to me more than anything is the attention to detail that he takes. Whether it be ten reps or whether it be just five reps. He treats a game like so when the game happens, it's not too quick for him.
Speaker 3: JT.
Speaker 2: McGuire, you've had your hands full here in San Francisco. Who knows what Sacramento brings, but thanks for coming by the coach's corner.
Speaker 8: Appreciate it. Rosie.
Speaker 2: That's outfield instructor J. T. McGuire and always nice to have him along. And yes, Stephen kui is having some kind of season defense and left. Certainly we'll be a contender for a fourth consecutive Gold Glove award. Stay with us when we come back. We'll hear from a former Cleveland Indian Duwayne Kuiper and another former Cleveland Indian, Coco Crisp. That's next time in Cleveland Clinic. Guardians Radio Network, Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim rosenounce along with you from Sacramento. Earlier in the road trip, the Guardians were in San Francisco, and that means a chance to catch up with longtime Giants broadcaster and former Cleveland Indian Dwayne Kuiper, part of the Top one hundred Cleveland Indians All time list. He was a Cleveland Indian from nineteen seven four through nineteen eighty one before he was traded to San Francisco and finished his playing career there, and he talked about some of his memories that stand out from that era of Indians Baseball.
Speaker 11: Well, look, I cherished those years mainly because, look, I was in the big leagues and I was in a big league town, and I have, you know, relationships from those years with guys that, you know, I cherish, guys like you know, Buddy Bell, and I had a chance to sit with Buddy for two and a half hours out of Starbucks in Scottsdale this spring, and it really was one of the most enjoyable two hours I've had in a long time, because you reminisce about the days where maybe we weren't very good, but on that given day, we thought we would win that game, and we tried as hard as we could and we got dirty, and you know, and what are we playing for. We're playing to try to get out of last place. But those games were so important. Yeah, I Look, I couldn't have started my career out in a better place, just because the way the fans accepted you. If you didn't give a full out effort, and if you didn't like the city, you were not going to be able to fool that group. And that's why I really loved it so much. Look, I didn't want to get traded. I did everything I could to flunk my physical once I got traded here, And how do you do that? Well, you go to the doctor that did your surgery and you say, how can I do this? And I'm not going to tell you if you told me how to do it or not. But it didn't work. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: And there's a generation of fans probably listening tonight who have no idea what Municipal Stadium was like. And I know it probably gets a bad rap compared to Progressive Field, But for you, what was it like as a ballpark?
Speaker 11: Well, I think a lot of stadiums are going to get a bad rap because of Progressive Field. It happens to be one of my favorite of them. And I know it's not new, but of the newer stadiums, I would have loved to have played there.
Speaker 8: But you know, you kind of.
Speaker 11: Protect the ballpark that you played in and you got to the big leagues and you kind of protect it like it's part of your family. Somebody else says something bad about my park, then I got a problem with it.
Speaker 8: Right. It's kind of like what we had to do at Candlestick.
Speaker 11: You know, it's my place, so it's my home, so you know, leave it alone.
Speaker 3: But it was not an easy.
Speaker 8: Place to play in.
Speaker 11: I mean here there were times when you know, there were five or six thousand people there. I mean, if you go back and listen to people that talk about Lenn Barker's perfect game, you'd have thought that there was forty thousand people there.
Speaker 8: There was probably.
Speaker 11: Seven thousand, right, But that was our place, you know, and we're in the big leagues.
Speaker 8: So look, I loved that.
Speaker 11: I loved going to the Browns games there, and it was just a.
Speaker 8: Fact of the city.
Speaker 11: They needed a new park, but my memories will always be from Municipal Stadium.
Speaker 2: And now you get to come to work in an absolute gem of a ballpark.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 11: And we feel like we paid our dues. At least I did, because I played at the O Ballpark in Cleveland and then all those years at Candlestick. We sit up there, Mike and Mike Kruko, my partner, and we look around and everybody says, boy, you guys are spoiled.
Speaker 8: No we're not.
Speaker 11: We paid our dues to get to the spot, and uh, and it's been it's just been a delight. Even though what I doing here, I always wanted to do in Cleveland. But you know, those opportunities have to be created and if they're not, then you move on.
Speaker 8: And uh, and it's been a joy since I've been here.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's always great to see it. You have a fun team to watch. Thanks for coming back.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and it's really great that that Tom.
Speaker 8: Shows up for these games.
Speaker 11: You know what, a Hall of Famer makes trips, and they tried to do all the games and I'm really shocked that he got voted in, to be honest with.
Speaker 2: You, Well, this one thirty seconds a little bit too long.
Speaker 3: We'll be back with more after this.
Speaker 2: That's Dwayne Kuiper, a former Cleveland Indian from the seventies, a little more recent vintage Coco Crispy was in Cleveland recently as part of the alumni program there and we had a chance to catch up with him, and he had a tremendous major league career. It started in Cleveland and finished in Cleveland, with some stops in between, including in Oakland with the Athletics. But he broke in with the Cleveland Indians back in two thousand and two, a pretty good ball club, and he talked about what it was like to get his first chance in the major leagues with that team, right.
Speaker 12: So I just got traded over from the Cardinals about two weeks prior. So when I got the call, we were on the road. Actually wasn't a call. The coaches came up and knocked on the door and me and Luis Garcia at the time, and we just got traded over together rear roommates, and they came in and they told me that I was going to Tampa and I thought that I got traded again. I mean, it was fresh on my mind. So I was just like, oh gosh, and they're all looking at me like, who's the matter with this kid. So once they told me it was Tampa Bay Devil Rays at the time, then I jump up and I'm jumping from bed to bed. I'm excited. So then I end up going to Tampa and I get my call up and the first person.
Speaker 13: That I that I see is Eddie.
Speaker 12: He is a hitting coach, and I'm like, oh my gosh, it's Eddie and I'm walking in the dugout. Then I see CCO Marver Scaled, Jim Tomy. I'm like, oh my goodness, you know, just playing video games with these guys and now I'm up here with them, so it was very exciting. I had a great time playing for Cleveland, especially when I first got caught up. I'll rephrase that a little bit later, but especially when I first got caught up, simply because a lot of the guys were young, like Brandon Phillips, Grady Size More, Cliff Lee yet CC and all these guys, and we all kind of came up through the minor leagues together, so we got opportunity to play together and still learn from veterans like Omar and Jim Tomay and Ellis Spurks. So it was very special. And then the be able to finish my career with the Indians. You know, my whole journey was a blessed had just capped it off.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you about that. You had great experiences with Boston and Oakland, a key part of some good teams there. What did it mean though, to finish your career here for a team that made it to the World Series.
Speaker 12: To start off getting called up and having such a special time here. And I thought that we had a team at that time when I was younger to push for playoffs and win a World Series possibly, you know, I felt like we're that good from the pitching side and the offense side, the defensive side, but it just didn't happen that way. So after going from here to Boston, where I was able to win a World Series and take in the environment of being a major we're gonnation as far as fans go, and everything like that, which which was really special. And then from there I went over to Kansas City. I ended up getting hurt, but I still enjoyed my time over there, and then going to Oakland. I'm from California, and being able to spend my time over there and talk with Ricky Henderson, who was my favorite ball player growing up, was truly special as well. And then after that twenty sixteen came, it was towards the end of my career. I just got hurt with my neck and everything, and then Terry Francona and the guys over here with Cleveland wanted me to come back over here and be a veteran presence, which was truly special to be able to come back over here and finish my career playing in the World Series for a team that I started with.
Speaker 2: And you were more than just a veteran presence. You've had some huge hits in the postseason run, and what did that mean to you to not just be the veteran guy in the clubhouse but actually get it done on the field one last time.
Speaker 3: Special.
Speaker 12: Every time you step in between those lines, you're trying to be successful. You're trying to go out there and put your best foot forward. Sometimes you put both your best fee forward, and sometimes you don't put any. So I was just happy to be able to go out there and contribute, whether it would have been as just having some experience in situations like this and bringing it to the guys who didn't or actually contribute inside the lines. And I was fortunate enough to be able to do both, and we played well.
Speaker 2: We'll go great to see you. Thanks for coming back, all right, Thanks for having me fun visit with Coco Crisp, who has a lot of great memories of his time in Cleveland, both at the beginning of his major league career and then at the end with that twenty sixteen World Series. Club Stay with us when we come back. It's a Minor league report with Stephen Osterer. That's next the Cleveland Clinic. Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Switching to Progressive is a game winning call in my bring minds us of other game winning calls in the history of sports.
Speaker 6: So it was the fourth quarter and went down by five, sweat pouring down my face. Suddenly it hit me, if only I could rep part of the towel around my forehead, and that's how I became the first basketball player.
Speaker 8: It's a wear ahead band.
Speaker 5: Okay, not really a game winning call, but it was a good call. You can make one to switch to Progressive and you could save hundreds. Progressive Casualty Insurance company and affiliates not available in those states.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. It's Guardian's Weekly.
Speaker 2: We're in Sacramento this weekend and as always we check in with Stephen Osterer, the Guardian's vice president of player Development, for a minor league report, and this week we talked singlely Lake County. Some good stories going on, including a solid one loss record, and we'll start on the mound with a picture. Everyone always wants to talk about the tugboat. Mac Wilkinson, the leftandro had a great season a year ago, off to a slower start this year, but starting to turn things around.
Speaker 3: According to Austin.
Speaker 14: Yeah, Wilkinson's you know, kind of an up up and down year so far, not and not sugarcoating that that it hasn't been quite as good as it was last year, but that's also probably not a bad thing. Yeah, I think developing as a as a pitcher sometimes requires you to fail and requires you to develop your ability to handle the peaks and valleys of the year. So yeah, I think it's it's been good from that standpoint where he's been able to kind of set his targets on the daily process a little bit more, and you know, I think he's really growing in that sense. So yeah, there's some positive underlying signs with him. Pitching wise to the fastball is you know, continues to be a good a good pitch for him. He's executing it well and working on that to get it to better spots and slide sider execution has been better this year and has been trying to positively. So He's still missing a lot of baths similar to what we've seen in the past and generating the weak contact maybe to a lesser degree to what we've seen last year. But you know, going through a little adversity is not again not necessarily a bad thing, and it's a long year.
Speaker 13: It's just year two for.
Speaker 14: Him, and you know, we're really excited about the future for Wilkinson and the things that you know he has going on for himself as a pitcher, and you know, a lot of room for growth in a high ceiling long term.
Speaker 2: Josh Hartle has put up some really nice numbers so far for Lake County and he's one of the young pictures acquired in the offseason trade that brought Cleveland to wis Orties and a Wake Forest kid who seems like he has really transitioned smoothly to a new organization.
Speaker 14: Yes, he has, and you know he's coming from a good spot of routines and and mindset and just a professional nature and he just continues to humme.
Speaker 13: Along as the season goes goes with us. He's going keep in the games. He's very efficient with his pitch count that allows him to to do well and and it doesn't walk anyone.
Speaker 14: So you know, we've we've talked already a little bit here about you know that first full year guys, Uh, you needing to to refine and establish everything from a routine standpoint and get accustomed to it. And yeah, he's he's been really good from that standpoint. So the velocity is kind of staying consistent.
Speaker 13: At this point, which is great.
Speaker 14: It's you know, been a slight trend upwards and continues to be a long term focus for him. But yeah, he continues to to just see improvements across you know, his his pitches and and how he's able to execute them, and you know, continuing to focus on trying to create a little bit more separation across all those all the pitches that he is able to offer. So the focus has been really good from from Josh thus far. He's adapted really well to being in professional baseball and being with this organization, and you know, excited to continue to work with him. He's a hard worker and wants to be really good. So a great start for Josh and uh, you know again excited, excited to see where he goes in the second half.
Speaker 2: Jack jay z acts an interesting story in in that he's improving tremendously as he goes along. Drafted back in twenty two out of college. What are you seeing from him? That's that's really exciting here as he gets deeper into it.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he's been a really cool development story for us. You know, spent the last couple of years in low way.
Speaker 13: You know, we got him in the twenty two draft.
Speaker 14: He you know, he's getting through some shoulders stuff, you know, in his last year of college. You know, obviously super healthy now, but you know he's just shown like a year over year improvement in in velocity and stuff. And you know, as he's thrown more and more. The calling card of him in college is throwing a ton of strikes, and you know, we've seen that continue to improve year over year to the point where you know, he's barely walking anyone at this point. You know, he's been tremendous, uh, you know on the mound and the velocity is really jumped up.
Speaker 13: So you know, he's now started with us. He was in the low nineties. You know, he's he's.
Speaker 14: Now sitting in the mid nineties and has a pretty unique ride and run fastball. You know, the slider is now sitting in the mid eighties and it sweeps left pretty good. And you know, the curveball he's able to throw in there to mixed speeds versus left. So currently working on the secondaries and improving them and maybe creating a little bit of separation between the two breaking balls, but his execution has been really good.
Speaker 13: The fastball again continues to turned up quite well from a Velo standpoint and projects the play well moving forward.
Speaker 14: So we're just trying to get a little bit more with outside of the fastball, and you know, there's some really good ingredients there for him to be a successful relief pitcher moving forward.
Speaker 13: So Jack's been awesome to watch continue to grow year over year and has been tremendous for Lake County so far.
Speaker 2: We're joined by Steven Ostra, the vice president of player development for the Guardians. Our weekly minor league report focusing on Lake County this week at the single A level and familiar names on the position player front making their way through the season, getting close to that halfway point now. And ralphie Velaski is someone that again goes back to spring training. We saw him play some major league games and it looks like the power numbers are starting to come into play for him. And how is his season gone after a slow start?
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's right, he's uh, you know, the results are you know, starting to come in line with some of maybe the leading indicators the uh you under under the surface layers or measures, sorry that we were tracking, and the performance is starting to jump, so you know, ps is climbing.
Speaker 13: You know, he continues to hit the ball really hard on average, and you.
Speaker 14: Know, is consistently making contact now at better angles.
Speaker 13: To see some of that production show up.
Speaker 14: He's put a lot of effort, you know, into into some swing adjustments so far this year, and you know, staying into maybe more productive posture angles for him that I think we've seen has helped him to not only see the ball a little bit better, but time up pitches a little bit better too, again able to catch the ball maybe into better, better angles. So's he's a really good hitter.
Speaker 13: There are elite underlying measures that.
Speaker 14: We see consistently, and you know, we're we're still talking about a kid who just turned twenty years old in high A and it's excited to see what he's.
Speaker 13: Done at the plate. You know.
Speaker 14: An additional thing that we've seen a last couple of weeks and pushed him defensively to get.
Speaker 13: A little bit more reps in the outfield.
Speaker 14: So yeah, still really early in that process, but interesting to see where that goes. And you know, for Ralfie to continue to heat up is maybe.
Speaker 13: Not super surprising, but you have fun to watch him hit the ball over the fence a little bit more consistently.
Speaker 2: Well finished with Jason Curio, a really exciting young prospect who had to deal with an injury issue at the start of the season and it's never easy at any level. How is he adjusted now that he's back playing again.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's been great to get him back out there just a couple of weeks ago. And you know the shoulder flare up that he had earlier in the year was just you know, a minor setback long term, but yeah, it takes a little bit of time to settle back in. So I you know, he's he's doing a lot of cheerio things or he's not chasing at anything out of the zone. At this point, I think it, Uh, you know, since his return, he's walking just to take over thirty percent of the time. You know, he's getting some better swings off as again he's getting back into like real competition, so you know, similar to Ralfie. You know, he just turned twenty, so he's one of the youngest players at the level.
Speaker 13: He does a lot of you know, really good.
Speaker 14: Things to played in his great discipline and again it's just tapping into the ceiling as much as we possibly can moving the needle long term on the physical development so he can add a little bit more pop to the really good, you know, back to ball skills. And you know, Jason again is another one of these guys that works really hard and wants to be really good, and you know he's young, so sometimes again there's the peaks and valleys of things that happen in a professional season for young players. And we're really excited about the athlete and the player that we have here and we'll continue to see the second half I think him take off.
Speaker 2: That's been a fun season for sure for Lake County so far as they're above the five hundred mark and I'm on that midway point of the season and Austy, thanks so much for coming by and bringing us up to date on some of their.
Speaker 13: Prospects and my pleasure, Rosie, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's our minor league report with Guardian's Vice president of player Development Stephen Ostro talking Lake County this week, and that's going to do it for our show from Sacramento. We'll join you next weekend back home finally, as the Guardians take on the Blue Jays starting Tuesday night. Then Saint Louis comes in next weekend for a three game series, and it's always fun when the Cardinals come in on a weekend because you know a lot of their fans will be on hand at Progressive Feel So until then, I want to thank Brian matse As always for putting together our show each and every week until next weekend. This is Jim Rosenhause. You're binding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clint Guardians Radio network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance