Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: It's a new series here at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers are welcoming in the Washington Nationals. But obviously last night there was tempers that flared over the Padres, emotions spilled onto the field, and today Major League Baseball announced that both managers have been suspended for one game and Robert Suarez, the Padres closer, are suspended for three games. And we're joined right now by tonight's acting manager, and that's Dave Roberts bench coach Danny Lehman. Danny, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: Thanks Dave.
Speaker 2: How did you find out that Doc was suspended for tonight's game? And how does that change what you do?
Speaker 1: It doesn't change much at all obviously for me for what I do to prepare for the game and get ready. But yeah, everything's been kind of emotional the last couple of games, as you know, but I think we're all glad that this series is over with and we're onto the next one to get kind of rolling into the weekend.
Speaker 2: How surprised were you when you saw Mike Schild come out of the dugout and not go check on Fernando Tatis Junior, but come out and kind of get after Dave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't the best situation to be in obviously yesterday, but I understand how emotional it was for both teams and how he came out and looking to I assume to protect his players. I didn't see him coming out that hot, but he did, and and it escalated pretty quick, and I'm just glad, you know, we're past it and nobody's really hurt through all of it, and we can kind of move on.
Speaker 2: Speaking of almost being hurt, how close and how out of bounds is it for Robert Suarez, who was suspended three games today, to go that high to hit Shoho Tani.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean where the game.
Speaker 2: Was and three zero count, three zero count.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just you know, like I said, the tempers were just high, and it was Nobody likes to get thrown up in the zone around your head or above the waist, obviously, and and I don't I can't speak to the intent on it with him, and you'd have to talk to him or whatever, but it's you just don't like getting your players hit, and especially up top, so you know that's not comforting for anybody on either team.
Speaker 2: You were able to chase down Dave Roberts pretty quickly there as things started to spill onto the field. You are a former catcher, so you know how to run out there and try to grab somebody. How successful were you last night at being the peacemaker?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I think everything just escalated quickly with how it was handled by both guys, and I just try to get out there and make sure that nothing crazy happened for our players obviously, but for also for Dave and and like I said, it was emotional, and Shilt was emotional, and it just kind of boiled over at that point.
Speaker 2: How much do you attribute the schedule playing the Padres seven times within a week to the tempers boiling over last night?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think obviously that has something to do with it. The history has something to do with it. In the rivalry, how good both teams have been over the last couple of years, all of it just kind of baked together, and we want to beat them and they want to beat us, and it just kind of pushed a little too far, I think in the last couple of games, and so it got emotional quickly.
Speaker 2: Dodgers bench coach Danny Leman is joining us. He is tonight's acting manager, with Dave Roberts and Mike Shildt each being suspended by Major League Baseball earlier. Today it is Kershaw Day, Danny Leman, how aware are you of the fact that he's just twelve strikeouts away from three thousand in his career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his curse's day to day, and obviously he had a really good one last time, and I think that's what he's trying to repeat. But yeah, everybody's aware of it. It's unbelievable milestone and it's going to be really exciting when it happens, and it's well deserved obviously for the guy and what he's done. But it's a cool thing to witness and be a part of in a small way.
Speaker 2: You've been around him for a decade now. How incredible is it to watch him do what he's doing after everything he's been through.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. The consistency with him, how he fights to get back and what he's continually able to do is just super impressive. So it's it's fun to watch me on the outside watching from the side.
Speaker 2: The curveball seems to be the same with everything else that seems to still be as good as it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, curveball's great. So it's just a very unique pitch and he has a good feel for it, and his other pitches makes his other pitches better, So obviously just part of his repertoire.
Speaker 2: All right, Danny, thanks a lot for checking in with us. Appreciate it. I know your record is pretty good. Filling in for Dave Roberts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is it?
Speaker 2: You're undefeated?
Speaker 1: Is it? What about last night?
Speaker 2: Last night? I don't think that counts. You have to go at least five innings and manage.
Speaker 1: You exactly exactly right, all right.
Speaker 2: At least you'll have Will Smith catching tonight, finally back to back games for your all star catcher. Just kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, will'son there.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, Danny. I'll let you go. You got a game plan, thanks Dave,