Speaker 1: Our chief meteorologist from Fox thirty one, Dave Fraser. Dave Fraser, how are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm good. How you doing, Mandy, I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: I heard a little rumor that we're going to get some fall tomorrow. Like sweater weather is right around the corner.
Speaker 2: It's a brief duck around the corner, and then we'll take another corner and go back to that Warman drive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, day, it's.
Speaker 2: A little turn. Yeah, a Rod wasn't happy with Meaty ourselves.
Speaker 1: We count on you to fix the weather the way we like it, Dave, not just the way you're predicting.
Speaker 2: We need it.
Speaker 3: Like, so, what are we looking at?
Speaker 1: Nice day tomorrow and then back up for the weekend. Is it going to be that fast?
Speaker 2: It won't be that fast. So today we're getting a seasonal correction. Last couple of days we've been in the hot nineties. It was ninety three on Sunday and ninety three on Labor Day, ninety four yesterday. So today we're going to be around season which is eighty four, and then tomorrow we'll be in the load of mid seventy so refreshing. Yeah, And so we've got two coal fronts coming in one is actually coming in right now. Out you'll look outside, you'll see the building clouds. We should start to get into showers and thunderstorms here pretty quickly, which will take us into the evening. They will be scattered, and some of that could linger past midnight into early Thursday before kind of drizzling showers wrap up with some late day sunshine. But you'll feel the refreshing change tomorrow. And then the other quarter that we'll turn is to head back to the upper eighties and near ninety degrees, but it'll take several days to inch back in that direction, so lower eighties, mid eighties uper ratings and then maybe close to ninety degrees early next week. And once we get passed tonight and tomorrow morning's chance for rain. Unfortunately, the forecast does look dry, although that's what we expect in September, one of the best months of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So any anything on a ten day, two week outlook that's positive or we just going to stick around with this kind of weather through September.
Speaker 2: You know, I, as always before I get on here with you, I do the six to ten day, which is just a little beyond our normal seven day that we display on TV. I do the eighth to fourteen day, I do the one month, the three months. I look at all of it, and everything as it has all summer long, continues to show above normal temperatures and below normal precipitation. And while we talked about this in the past, that never tells you anything about the day to day weather, that pattern has certainly proved out. We ended up with the second warmest June an average July for temperatures, fifth warmest August, and second warmest summer on record for Denver, only behind the hottest summer, which was twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Now to be clear, and I actually sent you a text about this the other day. On record is since eighteen seventy two, and it's first reading to me that we don't clarify that because on record sounds.
Speaker 3: Like, well, the beginning of record keeping went back thousands of years, and when you consider how cyclical weather is in ten thousand year and one hundred thousand year, you know, spans to say.
Speaker 1: On record, I think it gives an impression that people that this is like a all time and that's not at all what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough cell, right because of exactly what you said, the cyclical nature of thousands and thousands of years. The only thing we can compare it to is that record of history, and it is a short one, but it's the only thing we have to compare. And in Denver it's a little frustrating because I get this from viewers all the time. Denver's weather records have been kept in four different places. Twice downtown, then it's Stapleton for the longest time, and then I think it was in nineteen ninety one it transitioned over to DA the airport, which is obviously removed from downtown. So there's always this speculation if we're breaking a record that was set at the airport, or we've breaken a record that was set downtown. Of course you have to look at what year it was set in, but it's the only body that we have to be able to compare. The other thing is technology. Think about mercury thermometers back in the eighteen hundred versus today's you know, digital memes, and there's rounding of temperatures, you know, so when you look at hourly observations, you'll see ninety six point two, ninety six point four, ninety six point eight. And then you do all the averaging for your monthly averages, taking all the highs and the lows, adding them together, dividing out by the number of days in a month to come up with an average to be able to compare month to month to month over a series of years. So listen. It is not a perfect science, but it does give you a little bit of an understanding. To say, Denver's average is eighty four today and I tell you it's going to be ninety four. I think you can make the comparison. That's a hot day. Yeah it is.
Speaker 1: And I think in Denver, moving that weather station from downtown to the airport, it is significant, maybe more significant here because the airport's on the planes, right, I mean, it's it's like a completely different weather area in a lot of ways. And I do think that those changes are probably more jarring than they would be if we move from a similar climate to another similar climate at a different place. I mean, do you find that to be true?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree with you on that one hundred percent. As a matter of fact, on the National Weather Service website, if you look for under their climate tap, you'll find a snow comparison, and what it will do is it will show you contours of total snow over averages for where the records were kept, and you can see the snow totals are a little higher when they were downtown and a little less as you move out towards the airport. And that has to do with exactly what you said, the topography. It's not a huge difference. We're not talking feet of difference between where the sites were originally recorded versus the airport, which is, you know, nineteen miles away. But you can see those subtle differences and it has to do with the sloping of the topography. The closer you get to the flotals in the mountains, obviously the totals are deeper the more you move out into the planes that are a little bit lower. So you know, no surprising to see that. It is not a perfect, as I said, a perfect opportunity to compare, but it is the only comparison we have.
Speaker 1: Well, on that note, I sent you an email. Did you get Craig's the email that I a forwarded to you.
Speaker 2: I did, and it's top the list of Craigs and he pulled from both weather dot Com and Craig's up in Longmant Craig for thanks for sending him the question. He pulled Wikipedia averages for Denver, and he also went to weather dot com for averages for Denver. So I pulled up the list that he sent. He pulled it. The problem is anybody can edit Wikipedia, as you know. So I went in and I looked just for comparison to see and what I can't figure out is if the numbers Craig included in his spreadsheet for June, July, and August he was looking at the summer of twenty twenty four was from a site possibly in downtown Denver, versus the quote unquote out at the airport. So I'll give you for instance. So on the first of August he reported Denver hit one hundred and one. On the second of August, his report shows one hundred. Well, the airport reported ninety nine on the first and one hundred and one on the second, and then he had ninety six. They had ninety six, and then he had ninety nine, they had one hundred and two. So the numbers don't jive r the averages are going to be very different.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that the lesson is everything from Wikipedia should be looked at with a skeptical eye.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, absolutely, and if you want, if you want official. Despite everything we just talked about, the only record keeping we have that is considered official based on the National Weather Service, who is the record keeping organization for weather across the country, is that site out at the airport, and the official record can be found on their website. And that's where I would go to get the official numbers to the.
Speaker 1: Texter you just sent. No, Mandy, the planes are on the airport, haha, sir or madam haha.
Speaker 3: Ralph asked a question.
Speaker 1: That I was going to ask you because I heard a little news story about this. Are we currently in La Nina or El Nino or neither? And what can we expect for winter?
Speaker 2: In that respect, we are in La Nina kind of heading towards a neutral and the outlook for winter. I don't know that there's been a conclusion yet whether we'll slip back to Lamina. We will determine that in the coming month to what impact it may have. It does have. Lamina and El Nino do have different impacts to ease versus west across Colorado, and who benefits and who doesn't. We should be able to work that out. Those are numbers that come out all the time. As a matter of fact, when I look at the climate data for the outlooks that I was just telling you about six to ten, the eight to fourteen, the three months, all of that is based on where we are when it comes to those types of patterns for El Nino Lamina. So for right now, you know the next November persistent. You know they're looking at Lamina to emerge in September, and so we may be leaning more towards La Nina from September through November. We'll have to wait and see if that changes a little bit for the latter part of winter, which made the December, January and februe. Don't discount March in April for us here in Denver personnel and.
Speaker 1: For that person who's in there cargoing. But what's the difference between La Nina and El Nino.
Speaker 2: It's the difference in the temperatures of the Pacific waters. La Nina colder, El Nino warmer, and it changes the jet streams squirrel across the Pacific, and and that's the storm track that comes into the United States. The cat the continuous United States from west to east. So depending on what the ocean waters are doing, the jet stream will kind of fluctuate a little bit, and the movement of that jet can change across Colorado and how it comes over the mountains from more of a northwesternly flow to a southern track. Those differences in the tracks across the state from north to south highly influence where storms will set up and who will benefit from those different storm systems. So a southern tract will benefit the front range, a northwestern tract will benefit more. Northwestern Colorado will be a little drier. And it also influences temperatures as well. So those things are taken in, but they're like the long range outlook. It's not a day to day. We leable the day to day. We get into the nitty gritty, we get into the details. We're looking for the hard numbers. Then when it starts, when it ends, how much you're shoveling all of that kind of stuff, And you can.
Speaker 1: Find out all that nitty gritty every single day on Fox thirty one. They're great meteorology staff, can keep you up to date, and Dave Frasier, we appreciate you. We'll talk to again next week.
Speaker 2: Great weekend, weekend ed all right, that is Dave Fraser