Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. Now your host for Playoff Dodger Talks sound Off Angelinos, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Dodgers Stadium until eleven o'clock tonight on Dodger Talk. David Vasse taking your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven, two, five seventy after the Dodgers get their first playoff win since twenty twenty two. That also was Game one of the NLDS and it was also against those San Diego Padres. A big win tonight as the Dodgers take Game one of this best of five series by a final score of seven to five, and the Dodger bullpen, like they have done all season long, coming up big and covering more innings and outs than they normally would have to. But yosh D Yamamoto ineffective tonight, only out there for three innings, meaning the Dodgers' bullpen had to cover eighteen outs, which they did. Ryan Brasier, the winning pitcher Blake Trinen, with a five out save tonight eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: We will hear from Freddie Freeman.
Speaker 2: In a moment, we will hear from Dave Roberts, and coming up later in the show, we will hear from Clayton Kershaw and Jack Flaherty. Jose Moto will join us at the bottom of the hour to give his thoughts on what took place tonight as the Dodgers got a very big win. I said this before the game, and it wasn't just because the Dodgers ended up winning, but I thought whoever won this game was going to win the series.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers have to hold serve here in La.
Speaker 2: They could not afford to go down O one to the Padres, who are writing not only moment from winning the Wildcard Series in two games over the Braves, but riding a wave of a momentum that started after the All Star Break where they had the best record in baseball. So the Dodgers cool off the red hot Padres and maybe put some doubt in their mind. Not only do the Padres lose this game, but they also lost one of their prime starters in Joe Musgrove, during the fourth inning of their Wildcard clinching win over the Braves. So the Padres now all of a sudden don't have everything going their way and Show Heotani certainly silenced all the critics. What other questions are there now of show Haotani. First it was he couldn't come up with runners in scoring position. Well he's doing that now at a higher clip than we've ever seen any other player in recent memory deliver in those situations. He hit a walk off grand Slam to go forty forty at Dodgers Stadium. He came back after going fifty to fifty and hit a big home run. He has come up with a walkoff basit during the regular season. Tonight, with two outs comes up with a huge, game tying three run home run in the second inning to bring Dodger Stadium to life and really changed the mindset of the Dodgers who were down early again three to nothing. So he changed everything with that home run.
Speaker 3: In the second inning.
Speaker 2: He has changed everything for this Dodger team the last two weeks because just being around that clubhouse, I get a very heightened sense they are looking for Shoe Aotani to lead them on the field and lead them emotionally.
Speaker 3: And he has done that.
Speaker 2: Going back to last week when he came up with two huge hits to help the Dodgers clinch the NLST against the Padres. And to me, tonight we saw more fight from the Dodgers than what we have seen from them in each of the last two postseasons. And it goes back to their preparation during this week for this series.
Speaker 3: They were together.
Speaker 2: They didn't exhale, they ate, they slept, they talked baseball. They were here at Dodgers Stadium together eliminating distractions. And I know that may had not meant anything by the time the final out was recorded tonight if it went against them. But the one thing you could say is the Dodgers mentally were more locked in coming into this game than they were in each of their last two postseasons. And how about Freddie Freeman. You want to talk about the epitome of fight and wanting this a guy that has a severely sprained right ankle, coming down to basically an hour before first pitch, finding a way to you know, get himself in that lineup, telling Dave Roberts, convincing him I am good to go, and then delivers with two hits and to boot steals a base. I mean, come on, nobody can question Freddie Freeman's heart or desire to help win a world series here in La.
Speaker 3: Here was Freddy after the game with Ken Rosenthal. Freddy, we all know you have a severely screened ankle. How were you able to get on the field tonight.
Speaker 4: I can't thank the training staff enough. A lot of hard work. I got here about eleven am start the process of trying to get ready, and every day is gonna be day to day, but we'll up with some soreness. That's why I was a little touchy at there before the game.
Speaker 5: But a lot of work.
Speaker 3: Brian Dian's mentally, it's a lot.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm just trying to get myself ready to play the game, but you know when it's supposed to just try and do anything you can to be out there.
Speaker 3: To stolen base. What were you thinking?
Speaker 4: Well, I understand, I know that I was praying ankle, but I want to play the game the right way. He was at one six five at home play ninety feet in the postseason.
Speaker 3: You never know.
Speaker 4: I felt good enough and if I can't play the game the right way, I shouldn't be out there. And I needed to go in that situation if they're going to try and give me ninety feet, So I think I got lucky.
Speaker 3: How do you expect it's going to be tonight and tomorrow. What's it feeling like now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I got a lot of drilling going right now, so I'm sure in about fifteen minutes it might all set in. But I think before I get a call from Doc in the morning and see I am and I'll come in here early and start the prep again to try and get ready. But I was able to play nine days after it, so I'm pretty pretty happy about it. And I think we've got a good process of leading up and all the treatment I got to do before the game that I hopefully I can be out there again. Freddy, thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: There he is Freddy Freeman on Fox Sports after the game with the great Ken Rosenthal, and look, Freddy is the epitome of the fight this Dodger team seems to have that they did not have each of the last two years. Taoscar Hernandez, who has not been part of the Dodgers until this season, obviously showed what he can do in a big spot coming up with the bases loaded and delivering the go ahead runs to give the Dodgers the lead. I go back to the bottom of the fourth inning. That's where this game got into. Got out a hand for Mike Shilt and the Padres, and it gave all the momentum to the Dodgers. Lost in the electric come from behind. Three runs for the Dodgers in that fourth inning and lost in the game tying electric three run home run by shohe Otani was the at bat by Tommy Edmund with one out in the fourth inning to start that three run rally. Tommy Edmund this season hitting two hundred from the left side as a switch hitter. Manny Machada was basically in the sixth hole, giving Tommy Edmond all of that grass between third base and the pitcher's mound. Tommy Edmund, the one thing that he is described as is a ballplayer. He showed it. He understood who he is. He understood he hasn't been swinging the bat that great from the left side, So knowing the Dodgers needed base runners, what did he do with one strike? He laid down a perfect bunt that Dylan Sees couldn't handle, and Minny Machado is nowhere close to getting to that started the rally for the Dodgers in the fourth inning.
Speaker 3: Don't sleep on that.
Speaker 2: And also, you know we talk about some of the managerial moves that can change a game. What was Mike Shilt doing walking Mookie Betts in a two to two count that set up of Freddie Freeman and also ta Oscar Hernandez. I know they got the four s out at home plate, but it was very clear to Miguel Rojas being safe and then Teoscar Hernandez coming to the plate with a big hit with the bases loaded and two outs. I thought walking Mookie Betts, who had not had a good swing all night long, was a pivotal decision in that fourth inning going the Dodgers way. Here's the Padres manager on why he decided to make that very Tony Larusa like move.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that whole inning was already you know, kind of thought about the different variables. You know, we went out dying an issue. We're thinking Dylan may take take him through bets. But as soon as you know, Tommy gets the bunt down, Robotsi's the base hit. Now we're sitting there going all right, we like Mariy hoone on on a Tawny comes in and makes a beautiful pitch, you know, blows him up. Now we got Mookie on Maury Hone went he threw the like the knuckle curve of the split whatever we want to call it, that got by him. Now we got second and third, we got a base open. Mookie's not a big against lefties. He's not gonna hit ground balls, he's not gonna strike out pretty much, and he's gonna walk. So now you can sit there and say, let's tap dance around him. No, let's go to Freddy with Maury Hone, who throws you know, fifty ground ball rate against lefties. And I would say Freddy wouldn't move in good, but he stills a bag and plays possum on us. All right, so we go to we go to Freddy to get the ground ball, and we got it, you know, and Sana makes it. You know, no one we got Estrata on Hernandez after that. So the whole inning was was not right where we wanted it, but unplayed the way we basically wanted it in that sense, you know, we just Tony flared one in ground ball wouldn't add anybody from Freddy. But Saana makes a great play, gets the force at home. Higgy makes a great play too. By the way, guys are just nice. And now we're sitting there and we got estrada.
Speaker 3: All right, we got it. Mike Shelt.
Speaker 2: You had your reasons. I did not agree with them, and thank you very much because that helped the Dodgers get that momentum in the fourth inning, and that's where it got away from the Padres and all the momentum went the Dodgers way and they did not give up the lead. They go on to beat the Padres seven to five in Game one of a very important NLDS for the Dodgers as they are looking to take a stranglehold on this series. Tomorrow night to go up to oh eight six six nine, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ryan. Who is that Dodgers stadium tonight? Hi Ryan, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey Tim Actually David Ryan, thanks a lot for listening. Hey man, I'm still just relaxing in the Dodger parking and I want to give out four thank yous tonight. If I could number one, thank you Tim for doing an outstanding job all year covering the Dodgers. Appreciate you. Number two, I want to thank show hey O Tani, who we all know is the best player on the planet, for giving the Padres a big gut punch tonight and his epic bat flip that is going to charge up this Dodgers for the rest of the playoffs. Number three, I want to give it thanks out to mister no hustle Manny Machado for his week back bat flip and his throwing there in the fifth and even striking out to end the game. I thought that was pretty cool. And Fourthly, I want to give a big thank you to Freddie Freeman for his gutty and gritty performance tonight at the stadium, and I want to also give him a shout out. Two weeks ago, I was fortunate to sit in the Dodger Club Dodger Dugout club seats and after the game watch Freddie walk his Max, who's still in therapy from his illness, walk him around the bases and carry him around the bases.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I saw that too.
Speaker 2: That was great and Max is walking now and things are going in the right direction. Thanks for the phone call, Ryan appreciated. I should give thanks to the Dodger fans because you guys brought it tonight. You made this a hostile environment like we saw in that two game series with the Padres and Braves, the Padres fans making it a very hostile environment, and it will be that way when the Dodgers go down there for Game three. So Dodgers Stadium, the fans that sold out this place, you made this a hostile environment, and show Aotani gave you something to cheer for, and from that point on this place was rocking. Let's go out to Victor, who is a Dodgers stadium tonight. Hi, Victor, you're on with David Vasse.
Speaker 3: How you doing.
Speaker 8: Excusing mister baste.
Speaker 9: On.
Speaker 3: No, no stop, Hey, hey, we're.
Speaker 8: All we all deserve some Monica respect every now and then, especially after a win like this. I have galls in my mouth like I'm on the Godfather. Let me tell you about this Dodger thing of ours. Matter of fact, this luks andless thing of ours. We don't waste atomic rosters. We wasn't a championship with Mookie, didn't we We have show Hay added to that, the guys showed up well. First of all, we showed up in electric fashion. And what happened in the most important way, the best defeated the pitching and all the ailments of our own pitching. And that's why I want to see it. Do no't matter what we can't do. Let me show you that you can't stop us, and baseball for the hard sports to do that in. And you know, I'm ecstatic. I've been calling since nine five. That's how aesthetic I am. I still got my talent in my hand. I cannot tell you how perfectly we won tonight because I want to see if we can defeat our own limitsis which is our pitches.
Speaker 10: Hey yeah, well the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: You know, I talked to a few different players that played against both the Padres and Dodgers, and they believed if the Dodgers were going to win this game tonight, and if they're going to win games in the postseason, they're going to have to score at least five runs a game with the way their pitching is set up right now.
Speaker 3: And tonight they did.
Speaker 2: They scored seven runs, and they only scored six combined in three NLDS games last season. Thanks for the phone call appreciated, Victor. Let's go out to Ricardo, who also was at Dodgers Stadium tonight.
Speaker 3: Hi, Ricardo, you're on Dodger.
Speaker 11: Talk, David.
Speaker 12: How you doing.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm feeling good.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers made me look good and they played with confidence. I felt like too many people were giving the Padres too much credit and not recognizing the Dodgers have the best player on the planet and they've got some pretty good players one through nine on their team too.
Speaker 12: Yes, they do. Look. I was at the game, you know, and and the Padres sit the lead were early three to zarrow. The stadium was flat, but one show hal Tony went up to the plate and hit that laser out to right field. It was like the stadium just came back from the dead. It was electric. Now, I wanted to mention some team moments, and you mentioned it as well. I mean, it almost will sound kind of cliche, but the Dodgers were able to play small ball, you know, put runners on base, put the bunt down, capitalize on the errors of the Padres because you know, those mental errors, you know, really made a difference in the game. One more thing, David, you know, I want to talk about the ninth inning, the top of the ninth that diving catch by Davin Lux. I mean that that was beautiful. I mean, I really think he saved the run with that catch right there. And man, that was the bottom bottom of the game tonight.
Speaker 3: Lux played a good game tonight.
Speaker 2: And how about the catch Miguel Rojas made in the eighth inning on boguards that had trouble written all over it.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, he got that ball like a wide receiver.
Speaker 13: I mean.
Speaker 8: That was awesome.
Speaker 2: That's not an easy play. He made it look easy. Thanks for the phone call, Ricardo, appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers take Game one of the NLDS seven to five, the final score over the Padres. Let's head downstairs to hear from the manager, Dave Roberts.
Speaker 9: The first inning certainly was an ideal as far as striking first, but it was good to see us show some resilience and take a blow and respond the way we did, and even to tie the ball game up and then you know, give up two more and then to continue to fight back just really speaks to, you know, the character of this group. And I've talked about this for a few weeks and we need we need to fight, and you know, and that's what we did tonight and didn't get an ideal start, but guys in the pen picked us up, and the offense was relentless with their at bats.
Speaker 8: What did Show's home run due just maybe open things up for you guys offense?
Speaker 9: Forre it just kind of obviously it got us back in the game. It's just got the momentum back for us and just gave us life. And I think from pitch one the fans were just engaged, were in it. It was just I felt that energy and I think show Hey feeds off that. But that was just a huge hit.
Speaker 14: I think he's like fourteen for his last seventeen of the Russian scoring position. I know you kind of go up there expecting him to get hit every time, and that's spot. But does it get a little ridiculous at that point, Like how frequently he's been doing that lately?
Speaker 9: It's been insane, you know how good he's been with runners in scoring position, and so you know, the key is just getting opportunities, because yeah, when he does get those opportunities, you feel like he's going to catch him in put.
Speaker 14: It on the second round, the middle.
Speaker 1: Day resiliency sta in his team's identity.
Speaker 15: You just talked about how betsy Freddie was out there, and also did you expect the stolen base?
Speaker 9: He was very gutsy. He just willed himself into the lineup. You know, he was certainly medicated. You know, he's he's doing whatever he can to get on the field, man, and and I just really have so much respect for him, you know, finding a way to play and be there for his teammates. And I did he swung the bat really well tonight, obviously with some hits, and I didn't expect the stolen base. And it's one of those things you get these guys that are in compete mode and they just don't know anything else. So I was just grateful he survived that that. I don't know if it was a slide or it was a collision with the bag, I don't know what it was.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that made Dave Roberts very nervous, as it made fifty thousand plus very nervous. Freddie Freeman stealing second base and sliding, I mean, come on, you don't want that, right ankle going underneath your leg and then all of a.
Speaker 3: Sudden, it's a Donzo for the rest of the series.
Speaker 2: But luckily Freddy survived it and everybody was watching him as he went back to the dugout when that inning was over. Speaking of show Hey Otani and runners in scoring position, it bears repeating because Otani in his last eleven games with runners in scoring position is fourteen for seventeen with six home runs and twenty two RBIs. I mean, he is on another level right now, and that's why I felt like coming into this series he was not getting enough credit. The Dodgers were not getting enough credit. And I know the Padres are a really good team, no doubt about it, but the Dodgers are a very good team as well. In fact, with the Padres having the best record since the All Star Break, they still were not able to catch the Dodgers, who finished with the best record in baseball. And going back to kind of the cat and mouse game between the Padres and Otani, specifically, you go back to hearing Sandy Kofax being asked questions about how did you get Willie Mays out, how did you get Hank Aaron out? Sandy Kofax, who was here tonight, would say, I couldn't get those guys out.
Speaker 3: They were really good hitters.
Speaker 2: The way I navigated those hitters was by keeping the hitters in front of them off the bases.
Speaker 3: And that is the biggest fear.
Speaker 2: For Mike Shilt and the Padres. When shoe Hey Otani comes to the plate, they don't want anybody on bass. They know Otani's on a different level. They know Otani is one of, if not the best hitter in baseball right now. Going back to last week, what really hurt the Padres was the bottom of the Dodgers order getting on base, flipping the lineup and having men on base, whether it's one or two or three guys on base. When Otani came to the plate, That's what did Dylan season in the second inning. That's what did him in to come out of the game in the fourth inning, because if you look at what took place in that second inning, Will Smith lead off walk, Gavin Lux base hit, then he gets Tommy Edmonds striking him out, Miguel Rojas grounds out to second base. Then you still have two men on with Otani at the plate, runners at first and second with two out. That's not what is ideal for the Padres. And in the fourth inning, same thing Tommy Edmund.
Speaker 3: I can't say it enough.
Speaker 2: What a brilliant baseball play for him from the left side of the plate where he's hitting two hundred to lay down a bunt for a base hit, one out Edmund at first, Rojas base it over the shortstop. So all of a sudden, now you got runners on base. There's pressure on and show he Otani's coming to the plate with one out.
Speaker 3: That is not ideal for the Padres. And that's something to keep.
Speaker 2: An eye on as this series moves forward and the Dodgers roll on through October. Can the bottom of the order get on base to put on a lot of pressure on the opponent? Tonight, the seven eight nine hitters are combined five for twelve, eight, six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to father, Gary and Burbank. You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Hi, Father, Hey Dave.
Speaker 11: You gotta know something, man, You're really good at what you do. You know that You've you said everything I.
Speaker 16: Wanted to say, So I don't know what else there's to say.
Speaker 7: You've got fans that say it.
Speaker 3: I don't have God on my side like you have. Come on, if you say.
Speaker 8: It's a little.
Speaker 11: Tommy Lissorta said that God was a Dodger fan. So we're set.
Speaker 5: But Dave, I want to tell you that I noticed what you said.
Speaker 17: The Dodgers are.
Speaker 11: Playing small ball. I was watching baseball tonight. I was watching guys do things because they love the game, not because like they felt obligated, but they were like they were doing things to win, and it was amazing to see. And I think that the fans picked up on that, and I think that we're good. I just have one question for you, Dave. One question.
Speaker 3: Geez.
Speaker 11: You said that the last time the Dodgers won a home game in the postseason was in twenty twenty two. We know the outcome of what happened in twenty twenty two, right, So give me some hope. I give people hope every day. Give us some hope that the Dodgers are going to finish the series off and move on.
Speaker 3: All right. Well, Number one, it's not just the first home victory. It's the first.
Speaker 2: Playoff victory period since Game one of the twenty twenty two NLDS. Here's your hope, Father Gary. His name sho hey Otani. If you saw what he did tonight, he ready and up to the task to carry the Dodgers past the padres.
Speaker 11: Trust me, I can't wait, Dave.
Speaker 3: This is a love offers on his back. That's what you saw.
Speaker 10: Let's carry Let's go.
Speaker 11: Let's let him carry us. Let's get across that finish lineal let's do it. We were at the Greek Fest tonight.
Speaker 7: We were watching it.
Speaker 11: We were going bananas. It was an awesome, awesome atmosphere. I can't imagine what Dodger Stadium was like. But man, keep up the good work, Dave. Let's bring this one home. Twenty twenty fourth time for the Dodgers to win the World Series.
Speaker 18: Let's go.
Speaker 11: God bless it.
Speaker 2: Good night, all right, thank you so much. Appreciate the phone call. Let's go out to Bakersfield. Rob, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 17: How you doing, Rob, Machi bad DV?
Speaker 13: How are you tonight?
Speaker 18: That's what I want to know, because I was actually I was telling the screen and then I do play by play for bakers from college football, and I'm doing play by play as I'm playing at El Camino down in Torrens and watching the game on the.
Speaker 13: Phone, and a couple of things were happening. We had high drama all throughout Southern California. Is twenty seven to twenty six was the final score. But Bakerson College is down right around the same time the Dodgers are down.
Speaker 19: But the stars came out, and the stars came out on the football field. But the stars came out. And that's what you were saying. You took the words right out of my mouth, just like Father Gary was saying. You're so good at it, and you're already foretelling what was happening out there. And that was the fact that we got these guys in place to shine. Yes, I love the twenty seventeen team. I love the twenty eighteen.
Speaker 13: Team, the twenty twenty team in the Bubble fantastic teams, but this team does something a little bit different. Joe Otani, Kayoscar Hernandez, fantastic ballplayers, wonderful superstars with that bullpen, the defense, guys like Miggy Rowe, Tommy Edmond that are doing the little things to be able to make a difference. I think that that's what really is the difference between those teams have passed and what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know about all that. All I know is about the last two years. And I just hadn't seen the fight or the care to come back from.
Speaker 3: You know, being down in the game or being down in the series.
Speaker 2: And we saw that tonight and it spoke volumes and like I said, and thank you for the phone call, Shohei Otani wants to put the Dodgers on his back.
Speaker 8: He did it.
Speaker 2: He's done it for the last two weeks. He did it again tonight. Freddie Freeman. Most guys would not even be playing, but this guy wanted to be in the starting lineup.
Speaker 3: He wanted to be out there.
Speaker 2: I had players tell me during the last road trip of the regular season his right ankle would have to be sawed off for him to not play tonight. And he played even better than I thought he did. I mean, he moved around a better than I.
Speaker 3: Thought he would. There was a ground ball white a first in.
Speaker 2: The first inning that I thought that if he was one hundred percent he would have been able to make a play on. But outside of that, I mean, he was outstanding and when you have a guy like Freddie Freeman going out there to play on a bad ankle, finding a way to gut it out to get out there, sends a message to the rest of the team. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Padres seven to five in Game one of the NLDS.
Speaker 3: Jeff and Sierra Madre, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Jeff?
Speaker 10: Hey, dB, love you man, Thank you for the call. Hey, I just want to talk rivalries. You know, historically it's been the Giants right there, They're the nemesis from the North. But these Podres really hate us. What do you think about the rivalry? We're like, who's well? I used the biggest thought.
Speaker 2: I used this comparison yesterday on The Petros and Money Show. Remember when the said Sacramento Kings were a thorn in the Lakers side for about four years.
Speaker 3: They would always, you know.
Speaker 2: Feel like they were on the Lakers level from two thousand to two thousand and four. The Shaq Kobe Lakers and I played it yesterday and I felt like the Dodgers needed to have that Shaquille O'Neal attitude that he had towards the Sacramento Queens. That's the way the Dodgers needed to approach this series, and we saw it tonight. The padres our arrival during this period of time for about four years, are they going to be the Giants of the Cardinals?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: That's the best comparison I could make Lakers Sacramento Kings for about a four year period. That's the way the Padres are trying to bow up to the Dodgers. And they've done something the Sacramento Kings could not do, and that's beat the Dodgers in a playoff series. So I think the Dodgers remember that and they don't want that to happen again. From the guys that were still.
Speaker 3: On that team.
Speaker 8: Awesome.
Speaker 10: Well that's great news, great analogy, and and thank you. Although Buster Posey, what do you think about the bust and Pope Posey higher for the Giants?
Speaker 3: I'm nuts. I think I care about Buster Posey.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have any experience, all right, I'm not not even on my radar, Jeff, I'm not concerned about that at all.
Speaker 3: All Right, We're.
Speaker 2: Gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, Jose Moto, we'll check in. We'll take more of your phone calls. At eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy you'll hear from Clayton Kershaw and Jack Flaherty, who is going to start Game two tomorrow night here at Dodger Stadium with the Dodgers up one game to nothing over the Padres after a seven to five win on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com. Hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more your talk with Dodger insider David vasse Cease into his wind up and Old Tani.
Speaker 3: Lights it up right back up. Welcome to the postseason show, Hell Old Tony the Games.
Speaker 4: Quite a star running for the game's biggest stage.
Speaker 8: Hey Game Time three run.
Speaker 3: Home run Show.
Speaker 2: Hey Otani brought Dodgers Stadium to its feet with a game time three run home run with two outs in the second inning off a Dylan cease that propelled the Dodgers to beat the Padres seven to five in Game one of the NLDS. Otani joined superstars like Aaron Judge, Ken Griffy Junior, Roger Maris Jimmy Fox to hit home runs in their first career postseason game. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip Around on the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Dollars or more.
Speaker 2: Daniel's Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We'll try to get to all of your calls, and we'll also hear from tomorrow's starter, Jack Flaherty.
Speaker 1: But first it's time to go around the Horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Yesterday on Petros and Money, Andrew Friedman was urging Dodger fans to make this a hostile environment. It felt like with Otani's three run home run, he brought this stadium to life, and the padres certainly were rattled after that.
Speaker 5: Oh Dave, there's no doubt that when you look at a way in which when you go into a hostile environment on the road to quiet the fans, you do it with one swing, with one impact, and you do it with on same thing at home to get another team out of their game a little bit more and getting up the rails a little bit more. Well, Thus what we have to do with who better than Shohale Touney first time after what eight hundred and seventy five games in his career have not played a playoff game. And I was really hoping Dave that that opportunities he is going to get today at least the Powers are going to challenge him, and they're gonna be big chances for the Duties to make an impact. And because I want to see I want to see him get tested right away and see what kind of sway he brings, which club he brings out of that bag. And I think he answered that bill quite quickly here today.
Speaker 2: I thought the big play in the fourth inning was Tommy Edmond laying down that bunt because they were giving it to him on the third base line. Did you feel like that was as important as anything else that took place in that fourth inning.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of things that that's one of them, for sure. How many times have we seen teams practice this and say, hey, we've got to go out there if they're giving it to you and you're struggling to get guys on base.
Speaker 12: It's a free base it why not use it?
Speaker 5: But it takes as you were talking about Tommy Edmon, somebody with a lot of confidence number one, well, the high base like Q, they can really slow the game down and said, this game or the impact of this game, and you know, this platform is not going to slow me down from doing what I need to do, which is get on base to really pull a lot of pressure. A guy like Dylan Cecil was rattled himself because he saw at one point where the entire infield was going out there going, wait a minute, we got to go and talk to this guy because he's losing it right now. But Tommy Edman has shown the fact that he's a he's a sinking ball player that can make an impact for you, make a difference so many ways. Now, Dave, if here's another bat, how about Tommy Edman the switch hitter batting from the right side against a Arty And people didn't pay attention to that. But I'm going it takes a lot of gus for you to go, you know what, I don't feel comfortable with this guy on the mound throwing all the splitters, my swing is not where it needs to be from the left side. Even though he does not get the RBI, he put the ball and play. And what better to do when you're pressing a team than putting the ball and play. In all this, the dollar scored on an aerbiom a child. You talk about the bunds, So there's a lot of things in which they showed the ability to play baseball and to have a lot of traffic on the basis, which is what makes it easier for the guys to come up to hit, to know that it's not just going to be about one big swing, but about a lot of good swings and consistent a bounce. Did throughout the night?
Speaker 2: Did Freddie Freeman exceed your expectations on what he could do playing.
Speaker 3: With that bad right ankle?
Speaker 8: Man?
Speaker 5: The first thing I said is my dad was sitting next to me and I tipped my hat. This guy was in such bad shape. Is a big frame. I mean, there's a lot of weight on that right ankle his landing leg, which to me was an advantage because he doesn't have to push off for that leg. But it's a soft landing sometimes for a hitter, is the best thing you can do. And sometimes you teach soft landings to guys to say, hey, don't jump at the baseball. Maybe for Freddy it's a good thing, but then to hear him talk about the stolen base, Dave and say, this guy's a one six five. How have you heard somebody who was barely playing say I need to steal that base because the information I got is that we need to have that base and I'm gonna beat it. No, it takes a thinking player, somebody that really wants to maximize opportunities and get that potential out of his team to do that, and a true leader, by the way, who says, it's not about the pain right now, I need to be a second base. Guys a one six ove at on play, there's no reason for me to stay at first base. And he got there to that stolen base.
Speaker 3: Jose Mode is joining us.
Speaker 2: After the Dodgers get a big win in the NLDS, the first game goes their way seven to five victors over the Padres. All right, Yoshiyamamoto only goes three innings. That means Dave Roberts had to navigate basically a bullpen game to get the last eighteen outs. Everybody is always so quick to criticize Dave, but man, what a managing job he did tonight. Jose to be able to navigate his bullpen through eighteen outs, including Blake Trining getting out there for a five out save with Henley Jansen in the house, the king of doing that for many years as the old time saves leader with the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ask Kelly Jensen about how quickly playoff games turned into bullpen games. That's exactly what we saw today, Yamamoto. My quick comm is gonna be he needs to be better. He needs to be better and get off the better starts because he's not giving the Dodgers right now what they need. Hopefully he got this one out of the way and better things are coming by. Dave Roberts knew that there's some guys that you think about, Okay, how much can I how long can I go with him? And you know one thing in the regular season game, some of those guys when I have been pitching his second inning or started second inning. But you have no choice right now but to say, who gives my best option to get people out? Which part of the lineups are coming up? And then well, Blake trunning. It's not about thinking who's going to get to save, is about saying who can he match up better with and thinking at the end he is my best option. I do not need to play matchup lefty Lefty here, but the guy with the best experience. And that's why he did a fine job managing today, including one time later in the game when Dave Roberts almost stopped the game to position guys and guess what happened then line drive to the less of Gavin Lux So you know what, there's a lot of things that went right in which the mander hell lot to.
Speaker 8: Do with too.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Modo, we'll check in with you again tomorrow night after Game two of the NLDS. The Dodgers take Game one with a seven to five win. Thanks Jose, alrighty, good night. There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Pepe and Ningez and Fernando Vealezuela and thinking about Fernando. Hope you're doing well and we're all thinking about you. Fernando eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Like I mentioned, Kenley Jansen was in the house tonight, Yes he was, and it was great to see him before the game. Sandy Kofax was here, Irvin Magic Johnson was in the house. So uh, it felt like Hollywood, and it felt like everybody under understood that those players between the lines needed a lot of energy and support. And Dodger fans and a sellout crowd setting really brought more energy tonight fifty three, twenty eight than I have seen for a home playoff game in quite some time. And you know, I know the Dodgers have put out great teams, one hundred win teams, but you cannot take this for granted. And it felt like the players had the urgency and the fans that came to the game tonight felt that same sense of urgency. So kudos to the sellout crowd for making this home field advantage for the Dodgers. Let's take a couple of more calls before we hear from Jack Flaherty. Steve in Tucson, Arizona. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hi, Steve, Hey d that's a going great.
Speaker 3: What do you got for us?
Speaker 16: I just want to give a shout out to Dave Roberts. I know you mentioned over the way, the way he helded the and I was a big you know, I criticized the line of the pass, but I gotta give him a shot out tonight. And hey, you do bek heding that bullpen?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do. Good for you, Steve. Thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Everybody would have been very quick to call and say Dave Roberts did this wrong. He brought in the wrong reliever. There was nothing that Dave Roberts did tonight, even if it would have gone the opposite way, that was on his hands. He did everything he could as a manager to make the right moves to give the Dodgers a good chance to win. Let's go out to Richard, who is at Dodger Stadium tonight. Hi, Richard, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 16: What's going on, David?
Speaker 17: I you know, I love Otani of course, and I love Freeman of course. But man, Tommy Edmund has been such a job for the Dodgers. It's been a real shot in the arm. Ever since the deadline, you know, when he was acquired, he's just been just coming through. Ever since the Arizona series. I've just been really, really appreciative of what he's done and how he's come through for us. And you know, I'm not here to talk about Buster Posey, you know, like I'm here to and what they're doing. You know, I'm here to talk about you know, Dave Roberts, Headman Otani. It was just it was real great energy. Like you said, the fans really brought it. You know, I was there. You know, everyone was just having a great time. Everyone was real friendly. It was just a real great vibe and everyone knows that it was a good win tonight. But you know, we still got a lot more to do. We still got some more wins on the schedule that we're hoping to pull through. And that's what we're gonna be here for, and that's what we're gonna keep rooting for. Thanks a lot for taking my call, no.
Speaker 2: Problem, Richard, Thank you for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. One win doesn't win a series, that's true. But the way the Dodgers came back to win this game is huge for their psyche and their confidence and also put some doubt in that Padres clubhouse because everything has gone right for them and I know they beat the Dodgers eight out of thirteen times during the regular season, but when it's counted the last two weeks, all of a sudden, now the Dodgers have won three of the last four against the San Diego Padres. The Dodgers did this tonight with Clayton Kershaw and Joe Kelly off their NLDS roster. Dave Roberts said before the game today that not only is Kershaw not going to be on the NLDS roster, but his season is over because his left foot has not gotten better. In fact, it's gone backwards. So unfortunately for Kershaw, his season is over. But he was top step the entire game, rooting on his team. And here's what Clayton had to say before the game about the way unfortunately things have ended for him this season.
Speaker 20: It was just getting It was getting pretty mentally exhausting to continue to pitch, try to pitch, and it just kept hurting. So I got another MRI and I made it worse. So there's there's no point at this point to keep going. And it's unfortunate. I mean, obviously super frustrated, but.
Speaker 16: Yeah, that's really it.
Speaker 20: It's not getting better, so I can't.
Speaker 3: Pitch maybe you need some surgery.
Speaker 20: It's definitely in the conversation. I haven't solidified anything yet, but there's a chance that it might need to fix it.
Speaker 15: Yeah, when will you reflect on what your future is as far as wanting to try to come back again after another surgery.
Speaker 20: Yeah, we'll talk about it after the season. You know, I think right now focus should be trying to beat the Padres and that's what you know. I'm gonna try and be a good cheerleader as best I can and that's that's it. But yeah, we'll think about it an offseason. He'll come quick and yeah, just decide.
Speaker 9: Then.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Clayton Kershaw, who tried to do everything in his power to try to get over this unfortunate injury. His left foot is push off foot that just hasn't cooperated. And his season is over and I really do hope he comes back next year for the because he means a lot. He means a lot just in the whole vibe of that clubhouse and a guy that everybody respects when he speaks, and just his work ethic is incredible as well, even at this stage of his career. Also, Joe Kelly was left off the NLDS roster because during the Dodgers week off, he was throwing in a simulated game and injured his shoulder. Dave Roberts said, it's a similar injury to what Bruce star Gratoro had which ended his season.
Speaker 3: So unfortunately for.
Speaker 2: Joe, who was looking good the last couple of weeks, another injury keeps him off the playoff rosters.
Speaker 3: So Joe Kelly also.
Speaker 2: Hanging out in that bullpen being there as a support system to all those relievers, and certainly they did a great job tonight, from Ryan Brazier to Alex Vesia, to Evan Phillips to Michael Kopek and Blake Trining with the five out save as the Dodgers beat the Padres tonight seven to five in Game one of the NLDS.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to New Hall, Marco. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 21: Hi Marco, Hey David, thanks for taking the call on a longtime listener and multiple time callers. Let's get a chat with you again, man pleasure. Hey listen, I wanted to wanted to call something out. I think all we poked about tonight the great Freddie Freeman being a warrior. I started being saw at the back of the lineup, setting the table and doing their job all too true. The one thing we haven't talked about but I thought was so special is I was at the game and when Kopek was struggling, yet a woll bitch walk right out of the gates, MIGGI Rowe goes in instead of them out fire. We're shouting. You know, we're ten rounds back from Roger dug out. Why isn't fire going out there? But Nicky Rowe with employees and veteran leadership.
Speaker 3: I saw him out there even before the ball got back to Kopek. He was in his ear. It's not necessarily Mark Pryor's job. How about the catcher.
Speaker 2: The catcher should be going out there to settle down his pitcher. But you know, Keik Hernandez has done that, Miguel Rojas has done that. So they kind of have a feel for the game and understand how to slow it down and get into that pitcher's head. So I think when Keyk's on the infield, and of course Rojas, they're really good at feeling that that kind of momentum going against their pitcher and trying to slow the game down.
Speaker 3: You're right, thanks for the phone call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And Miguel Rojas, he made an incredible catch in the eighth inning that had trouble written all over it. It was one of those fly balls by Bogarts that you know usually drops. It was right in the perfect spot, but Rojas, thirty six years old going out there and making an over the shoulder basket catch that not many guys could do. So big defensive play by Rojas and the eighth big defensive play by Gavin Lux in the ninth inning.
Speaker 3: It was a total team effort.
Speaker 2: And that's what the Dodgers are going to need, not only to win this series, but to go the distance up and down this lineup, up and down the pitching staff. They all did a great job of chipping in to get this win tonight. And look, like I said, the Padres are a really good team. But the Dodgers have to remember how good they are and take that field and do what they used to do and own that field and put doubt in that other teams dugout. And they did that tonight. By the way, they came back to win this game. Now tomorrow game two of the NLDS, we'll have Jack Flaherty going up against you, Darvish. Here was Jack Flaherty earlier today when I asked him about his thoughts of getting on the mound in a postseason game, but this time wearing a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 3: A lot.
Speaker 14: You know, just have had some conversations over the last couple of days with some family and some people close to me, just kind of putting it all in a perspective and how kind of surreal and just crazy of an opportunity it is, you know, being from here and growing up here, having come to games here here and and then, but it's different, you know, be able to be a part of it and you know, have the be on this side of things. You know, if I've been here for you know, a playoff game with with Saint Louis, But but being to be on this side and and be a part of it over here is different. And it's just a lot of fun at the end of the day. You know, this is uh, you know something you know I was like looking back, you know, a little.
Speaker 3: Like young me.
Speaker 14: If I was to tell myself this, you know what would like eight year old me say and then just be be pretty cool. So I'm just I'm trying to enjoy it.
Speaker 15: Andrew was doing the press conference a couple of days ago and was asked about, you know, the fastball velocity, but he said that you're trying to kind of get your delivery all synced up. Do you feel like you've had enough time and are you happy with where it's at in preparation for tomorrow?
Speaker 14: Yeah, you know, I think the last couple of starts, we were working on a couple of things and trying to do a couple of things different. And you know, we're gonna be able to go and use my strengths as to go forward, and you know, the philosophy is going to be whatever it is. I don't know, but at that point just comes down to excuting and but you know, we just be putting the work over the week and trying to figure some things out and just try to be more consistent. More than anything. You got to locate the ball and spin the ball the way I want to.
Speaker 2: And that is tomorrow's starter at a Burbank. Jack Flaherty, the Grade one eight, will be on the mound tomorrow in his first postseason game as a Dodger, going up against former Dodger You darvish. Our coverage begins tomorrow at four o'clock. First pitch from Dodgers Stadium, Game two of the NLDS at five o'clock, and one more note before we say good night. Not only did the Dodgers win tonight, but also the Padres were trailing and Mike Shildt went to his bullpen and used three of his high leverage relievers that usually you would only see with them winning or protecting maybe a tied at home. Jason Adam, Brian Hoeing, Tanner, Scott, We're all used in the game where the Padres were trailing, and not to mention, Robert Suarez was warming up in the ninth inning for what reason.
Speaker 3: I have no idea, but the Padres.
Speaker 2: Had to use a lot of their high leverage relievers that they normally would use when they're winning, not when they're losing. Keep that in mind moving forward in this series as well. All right, Thanks to calling ee back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. You can follow me on Instagram at officially Vassa and on x at the Real Underscore DV. Once again the final score from Dodgers Stadium in Game one of the NLDS, the Dodgers come from behind and beat the Padres seven to five.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 2: We will tell talk to you tomorrow for Game two of the n l DS between the Dodgers and Padres.
Speaker 3: Sia