Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. I love all the shows I listened to on this station other stations, but I will say one thing about our show. And I don't give our show compliments very often, but I will give it this this week, I have heard a lot of different people talk about stories that we brought you here first, not to brag, not to brag, but if you want to stay on top of things when they happen right here, right here, nine to one, baby's you want to be. If you want to know stuff before your friends know it, this is the show because we kind of pride ourselves and staying on top of things as they happen.
Speaker 2: For example, no smoke, for example, black book, I should say.
Speaker 3: But two instances of black smoke already.
Speaker 4: Oh I thought you wanted me to throw people under the butt.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, don't do that. Oh no, that's going to us some issues. We don't need that. Okay, we do not need that anymore.
Speaker 1: Do we have issues?
Speaker 3: Well, there might be, Oh there's smoke coming from the system.
Speaker 1: Chair. Is that white? It's hard to say, that's white.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 1: That is relax.
Speaker 3: Relax until bro, that's white.
Speaker 1: They are cheering. There's people cheering that is white. That is white smoke.
Speaker 3: Well it's not.
Speaker 4: You can't even here.
Speaker 2: I don't remember exactly how it goes from this point.
Speaker 4: Well I do. We get a new pope up in here.
Speaker 3: Channel eleven is running with old Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, Channel eleven. That's like another radio show right there, awkward Channel eleven. We've got white live shot. You get some here, you celebrate. Come on, now, where where's the church music? Holy hell, my goodness. There we go for the one point four billion Catholics out there. We have a new pope. Yes, we don't know who he is. Will he be from America? No?
Speaker 4: Will he be from France? Probably?
Speaker 3: I love this. They have a drone shot.
Speaker 1: Of Oh my gosh, Saint Peter Square is crawling with people there to say I was there when I saw the white smoke flow out of the chimney of the Sistine Chapel to signal a new leader of the world's Catholics. God, no doubt is there. He's everywhere. Sorry, I don't do this as well as America.
Speaker 2: We have the microphone actually but oh, at Peter, let's get it.
Speaker 1: That's the cheering. Vin Scully would just let the crowd tell the story, and that's what we will do.
Speaker 3: If they had a line that worked, apparently it would be great.
Speaker 1: But white smoke and bells. Bells are now tolling, signaling the new pope has been elected. How many hours was this jury in for? Just about twenty four About twenty four hours, my goodness.
Speaker 3: And this would be the fourth ballot, which.
Speaker 2: Would be kind of in line with what we saw on the two, not for Pope Francis, but the two previous popes.
Speaker 1: I believe it's longer than twenty four hours, because this is afternoon.
Speaker 2: We were talking yesterday that when they closed the doors. Remember right before our show started, we talked about the the Oh.
Speaker 1: That's right, they did. You're right, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: So it was about.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty maybe slightly more than them, Patricia was correct, But yeah, twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Wow. So I thought it was going to be a couple of days, but they've got ready to roll. Who do you think it's going to be?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 1: My god, the odds makers right now are going nuts.
Speaker 3: That's why I was saying I don't remember the process.
Speaker 2: Twenty thirteen was the last time we saw a process like this, And how long between the confirmation that we have a pope and the announcement of the pope.
Speaker 1: Do you think this is proof that God loves us more than the other shows?
Speaker 3: I think I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think divine timing of you walking in here and dropping your junk on the table and saying that we break stories on this show, and then all of the sudden, the Lord finds it in his heart to pump white smoke out of the chimney at the Sistine Chapel, you know.
Speaker 6: Just saying I know who you prayed to this morning. I'm telling you you may have hit you may have hit a nerve. That's that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Again, no word, And it's going to be a while before we have any idea specifically who has been elected as a pope. But the white smoke out of the chapel, sorry, the white smoke out of the chimney at the Sistine Chapel means that the College of Cardinals has chosen their next This is incredible.
Speaker 1: We'll always remember that we were together here when this happens. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: You're walking in here with a certain amount of swagger. I know that's like, that's like calling your shot. It was pretty good, pretty high level. It was pretty good.
Speaker 3: We should probably just go home.
Speaker 1: We should retire.
Speaker 3: The show is over. It has gone full circle. All right, Well, we'll find some stuff out.
Speaker 2: What we know about the white smoke from the papal conclave means there is a pope a fifth ballot. I was wrong, fifth ballot. Pope elected on the fifth ballot. We'll see if we can get any of the palace intrigue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to hear about those first four ballots too.
Speaker 3: How do they choose their name?
Speaker 1: Just remember, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Just get in their pope's name in the name of the bond.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 4: I'm fascinated by it.
Speaker 3: Garyan Shannon will continue just a moment.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: What's up, Gary and Shannon?
Speaker 2: Avn Moose bopa, aven moose bopa.
Speaker 3: We got a pope, baby, Yes we do.
Speaker 2: White smoke came out of the chimney, the one at the top of the Sistine Chapel, which means they have elected a new pope. Any moment, we're expecting to have some sort of an announcement. I don't know if it will be in Italian or Latin, or what language it will be in, but we'll let you know who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the order of this question? So we so the white smoke comes out, and let me see if the internet works today, because this is gonna be fun. This is gonna be a fun thing to happen here. I'm assuming we'll hear from somebody within the hour, not just the thousands of people waiting there in Saint Peter's Square. But again, it's the two thirds majority required to win the conclave. And this was the fifth ballot, which means, you know, who knows the first ballot could have had like eighteen names rise to the chart right, and then they cluster and they caucus, probably and a name kind of circulates, or a couple names, and then it whittles down to one. But that's a pretty quick conclave. One hundred and thirty three, and the majority of them were picked by Pope Francis, by the way, who cast a wide net around the world. But some people say that this may be a sign that this will be somebody who embraces his outlook continues Pope Francis's work. But the overarching feeling was that they were going to pick somebody more conservative this time around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that the pendulum was going to sort of swing back ideologically.
Speaker 1: And who knows, like what people say to become a cardinal, Like, I'll say whatever I need to to the pope to become a cardinal. I'll be like, yeah, I'm totally down with your progressive thing. Who am I to judge too, just to go ahead and become the cardinal and get that cardinal robe, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So, according to the Archdiocese of Boston, once a new pope has been elected, that pope, whoever it might be, chooses their papal name and receives the obedience of the cardinals, and then the senior cardinal deacon announces the name of the new pope, who then gives his blessing to the people, the city, the church, and the world. A new Bishop of Rome and a universal pastor of the Church has been chosen. If I'm not mistaken, one of the highest level cardinals is a cardinal here out of the United States.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know if that changes.
Speaker 2: The order of delivery in terms of the languages that will be spoken, because this is you know, there's multiple languages that they are going to appeal to. With one point four billion Catholics around the world, how cool.
Speaker 1: Is it for the people who happened to be there in Saint Peter's Square.
Speaker 4: I mean, the people.
Speaker 1: That were there were already hearing reports about how emotional they got. You know, they did it, they did it. People just crying there at the sign of the white smoke. Rosilia Cordero is from Brazil. One of the people crying and embracing our friends. I'm so happy, it's so incredible to be here at this moment. I don't know how to express myself, but I'm grateful to God for this moment. Each billow, they said, prompted a fresh wave of emotion from the masses. Billow of smoke each well, because it kept billowing. Yeah, and there's a slight wind and there's another poof, and then another poof and then another wave of tears. The bells tolling they had only been sequestered, yes since since since yesterday. So so yeah, he's picking his papal name. That they say that that's going to indicate what pop kind of pope he intends to be. Did we have more about the names?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, among other things, the previous pope, the one who just passed away, Pope Francis. His name was Jorge Mario Bergoglio, and when the late pope was the he was the first to use the name Francis as a papal name. The most common name is John, and then you've got Benedict and Gregory and Clement and others that have been chosen more than a dozen times over the course of the popes.
Speaker 3: There have been a lot of John's.
Speaker 2: Twenty one of them have been named John, and I guess twenty three if you count the combination of John. Paul France has said that either he or Pope John the twenty fourth would be attending an event the following year. Of course, there were speculation that he would end his pontificate.
Speaker 3: Early.
Speaker 2: Gregory, Benedict, Clement, as I mentioned, were popular, though not officially recognized by the church. Anti popes, those who opposed the selection of the pope and then thought they were the rightful heads of the Catholic Church. In the history of the church, they've occasionally influenced the numbering and the sequent subsequent I should say papal names like Benedict the sixteenth, the one who came before Francis. There are twenty one John's, but no Pope John the twentieth eight Bonafaches, I think, but no Pope Bonafache the seventh.
Speaker 1: What's your money on France, Italy, Africa, America, South America?
Speaker 3: I would have said Africa if the.
Speaker 2: Hey, if Francis was a little bit more conservative, like there's a there's a consistent pattern of them kind of going back and forth, and Francis was very progressive.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to go with an Italian or French. I think French, but I just.
Speaker 2: Might The cardinal that they were talking about from Africa is conservative, right he is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So but I just that's just that's a that's a thirty to one odds on that on that race horse. You know, you look at France in Italy, you're looking at six to one odds, you're looking at a sovereignty, you know, journalism or whatever the hell that other horse was named. Okay, so so here's the deal. All eyes are on the balcony right now, because there's not much that needs to be done. You got to fill out the paperwork. What's your what's your papal name? Right, and then the dude he puts on a freshly tarraled, white tailored white cossack, that is the papal cossack. And then he puts on that ceremonial fisherman's ring. Remember we told you about the fisherman's ring.
Speaker 3: And it's new to him because the other one was crushed.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: He will be led through the Hall of Benedictions and out onto the balcony known as the Logia of the Blessings, and that is the balcony that all the cameras are trained on. It's a beautiful balcony floor to ceiling windows. There beautiful long maroon drapes tied.
Speaker 4: At the sides around it.
Speaker 1: His identity will be revealed on that balcony to the thousands gathered below and all of us watching millions around the world.
Speaker 4: And it's going to happen soon.
Speaker 1: This first appearance is going to happen soon because again he's just got to fill out the paperwork, put on the ring, change the robe, and showtime.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll come back hopefully it happens during hours.
Speaker 4: Here, damn right it will.
Speaker 2: Gary, we have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars. Here's how you can pick it up.
Speaker 5: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website cash.
Speaker 3: That's cash Cash Edward.
Speaker 5: Now at KFIAM six forty dot com, slash cash Howard by Sweet James Accident Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, call the Winning Attorneys.
Speaker 3: It's Sweet James.
Speaker 5: One eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million or sweet James dot com.
Speaker 2: Cash is the keyword. It goes on the website and we'll give you a chance an hour from now. Another chance that is to win one thousand dollars. We're on Pope Watch.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Yes, the new Pope has been elected. We will have the first appearance soon on the balcony when he will be revealed to the world. Little bit more about how popes choose their names and the significance the pope's chosen name is not just a preference, they say, or a nod to a favorite saint. It's the first message to the world about who the pope intends to be, what legacy he honors. For the first five hundred years, by the way, popes retained their birth names. In fact, the practice of adopting a new name only began with Pope John the Second in fifteen thirty three. Why he was born with the name Mercurius, and he changed his name to avoid the pagan connotations associated with Mercury, of course, the Roman god. The last pope to keep his birth name was Marcellus the Second in fifteen fifty five, so this is now customary since the Old Age of fifteen fifty five. The most popular papal names, as you mentioned, John, Gregory, Benedict, Clement, and Innocent. No formal rules on how a pope selects his name. According to an assistant professor at Notre Dame, Joshua mcmahonaway, who I think that Notre Dame gets gets to, Uh, they be the they're busy today. They're busy today, he said, few rules for the man at the top. They're allowed to choose what they want. There is an unwritten tradition. However, no pope has taken the name Peter the Second. Ah, this is out of reverence for Saint Peter, the first pope appointed by.
Speaker 4: Christ, the saint.
Speaker 1: You you named your dog after unintentionally?
Speaker 3: But yes, but Notre.
Speaker 1: Dame says, I suspect it's humility, or perhaps even because one does not want to compare oneself to the one pope we know Christ chose himself. Amen to that? Who wants to be that guy? Show a little humility around here. Not all popes chose their names based on paths. Pope Pious the Second, who led back in the fourteen hundreds, picked his name why because he loved books. He chose Pious after a character named Annias and a famous poem who was called Pius Annius. How about that?
Speaker 3: I didn't know that either.
Speaker 1: I have a friend who named her daughter after a character if she read it about in a book. And that's how popes can do it too. Another example is Pope Julius the Second. He first wanted to be called Formosis the Second because why, Gary, what do you think formosis means in.
Speaker 3: Latin first person? Formosis?
Speaker 4: Handsome?
Speaker 1: Oh, the cardinals said, how dare you?
Speaker 4: So he went with Julius the second.
Speaker 3: Instead, here's the other. That's interesting.
Speaker 2: Do you think whoever has been elected as the new pope do you think he kind of plays these off couple of the cardinals just as I was thinking Pope Lego, Yeah, and they're like, nah, it doesn't what about Pope uh jeff right, it's not a real thing.
Speaker 3: What about Pope Ulysses or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally. It's like your confirmation name, you know, you bounce it around.
Speaker 3: How did you?
Speaker 1: I said f you to everybody, and I went rogue with my confirmation name.
Speaker 3: Your confirmation name is rogue pretty much?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 4: Barbara Marianna?
Speaker 3: Oh okay?
Speaker 1: And why is that? Why is that a bad?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: I kind of it took two and made a little uh, made it a little fluffy. Could have been Mary or Anne, although my middle name is Anne, right, that'd be My grandmother wanted Dolores so badly, God rest her soul, and I didn't do it.
Speaker 4: I didn't do it. I should have done it.
Speaker 1: I still get I almost said a bad word to this day from my uncle for not choosing Dolores as my confirmation name.
Speaker 4: Still gets mad at me.
Speaker 2: All of the different uniformed personnel are making their way to Saint Peter Square, just outside the logia, this big balcony, where they will make an announcement where they're actually read what is called the habeas Papem, the statement that we have elected a new Pope. And as I mentioned earlier, it would be the pastor the senior cardinal deacon who will announce the habeas papem, the name of the new Pope, and the name that or who will be the Pope, and then the papal name that they have chosen, and then the new Pope gives his blessings to all of the people there and all of the.
Speaker 4: People way in the world. I can't wait.
Speaker 1: There is something odd about the naming of the popes when it comes to John. In nineteen fifty eight, Pope John the twenty third was elected, but there was never a Pope John the twentieth. This happened because of confusion and old rec words, mistakes, and the counting of some fake popes called anti popes. So now the official list says there have been twenty one pope's named John, even though the number twenty is missing, And then if.
Speaker 2: You count the John Pauls, there were two of them, so then that makes twenty three.
Speaker 1: Now our last Pope, Pope Francis, he chose Saint Francis of Assisi. It was a big deal at the time because no pope had picked a completely new name in over one thousand years, not since Pope Lando in nine to fourteen. Pope Francis later said he was moved by Cardinal Claudio Hums, who hugged him after his election and said, don't forget the poor. That made him think of Saint Francis of Assisi, known for living simply and caring for the poor. Also the animals, as we all learned yesterday on the show, Saint Francis is the patron saint of the animals as well.
Speaker 2: I mean, this new pope, I think could simply right, and it could simply choose Pope Francis the second.
Speaker 3: I mean, if there was a plan.
Speaker 1: To continue to continue, it could.
Speaker 2: Because like you said, it's kind of an homage to whoever's sort.
Speaker 4: Of I think maybe ideology John, maybe we'd bring back John.
Speaker 1: Huh. That about another John Paul, A little nostalgia for gen X.
Speaker 3: I don't know gen X that's why they're that's who they're going from.
Speaker 1: The roof terraces of the Postolictic Palace have now been filled up with people as well.
Speaker 4: This is Vatican.
Speaker 1: Staff, Apostolic, apostolic whatever. I'll say a couple Hail Mary's later for that. The Vatican staff have come out to see their new leader. All right again, he's changing clothes. He's putting on that white papal cast Like, how do they know what kind of with size? You know, they all have their measurements, and then there's a seamstress back there who's like fitting it to him.
Speaker 2: I would guess that the cassock part of it. That's just sort of the big robe that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you need a little shape you want.
Speaker 1: To fit well. If he's got a good waist, he's got a good waist line.
Speaker 4: It's the problem thighs. Maybe let it out a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's not like the green jacket at the Masters where they measure at the top.
Speaker 3: It should be.
Speaker 2: It should be when we come back, hopefully we'll have the information about who is the new Pope. Just as the show started, thank you Lord, the white smoke came out of the chimney and we were signaling that the College of Cardinals has elected a new pope. We're waiting for the announcement as to who it will be and what their papal name will be.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon will continue what a wonderful day here on the program.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Big news for twenty percent, if not more, of the entire world. A white smoke poured out of the Sistine Chapel chimney this morning, signaling that a new pope has been elected to lead the Catholic Church, and we are awaiting the official habeas papem. The officials spokesman, one of the lead cardinals will come out and say we have a pope Habeas paypum.
Speaker 1: He dons, He dons the white cassock, he puts on the fisherman's ring, and then he makes his way to the balcony where he will address the people. Now, I had asked about the cassock, about the measurements, and I had assumed that because we're in Italy here there are a number of seamstresses or seamsters who are more than capable of the task. All the best seamstresses are Italian I think anyway. It turns out Keana has tracked this down for more than two hundred years. There's a family that has been clothing the popes, the men of the cloth, the Gammarelli family.
Speaker 4: Tucked away in an.
Speaker 1: Unsuspecting corner of central Rome, the tailoring shop has hands stitched the rowees worn by the last eight popes, including Pope Francis. Massimiliano Gammarelli told ABC we always work to a bit higher standard in quality for them. Whoever the Pope is. If you like him or you don't like him, that is Massimiliano, which is the best Italian name I've ever heard. And he is the head tailor there. He's been working as a tailor for forty years. He and his cousins are the sixth generation to run the family business. The store first opened in seventeen ninety eight, apparently a lot of competition at the time to dress the Vatican clergy, but over centuries, the Gamarelli family has emerged as the preferred supplier by the Vatican. They've dressed thousands of priests, hundreds of cardinals and bishops, but making the pope's official robes their highest honor. All the staff play a part, he said. So when we work, when we need to work for the Holy Father, everybody wants to work on his cassock. So everybody works on it. We don't put anybody to the side. We always work in the same way for all the popes. Whether we've got a more saucy or a more simple one, I love that, well, we get a saucy pope or a simple one.
Speaker 2: So as the cardinals got together, at least the voting cardinals, one hundred and thirty five potential candidates, they said for the role. Although I think the official the official eligibility rule is simply that you have to be a baptized Catholic. Yes, that's it right, and a guy, I mean, and a man, but be a baptized Catholic. They're obviously saying that the cardinals are the ones who are really the candidates. One hundred and thirty five potential candidates. So how do you prepare a robe that fits one hundred and thirty five different people? So what they did basically was they just did a small, medium, and large version of them. They can go back and tailor them specifically to whoever the Pope will be but for the purposes of the heavioist papem, for the purposes of the big announcement. On the top of this balcony there at the Vatican City, you might see a rather ill fitting robe. And I'm sure that that will throw people off. Yeah, you're looking at him from a quarter mile away.
Speaker 3: I mean the people who are gathered there in the square.
Speaker 1: So crew Trema. The fashion choices are not just the cassock, guys. There's jewelry. There's shoes to think about. Of course. Pope Benedict resurrected those iconic red slippers. Remember his red slippers. Remember who could forget? He also opted for solid gold when it came to his fisherman's ring. Now, francis a more austere. Is that the right word?
Speaker 3: Osteria?
Speaker 1: He went with the simple black shoes and a recycled gold plated fisherman's ring.
Speaker 2: Of the small medium in large we mentioned the cassocks and the hats that would go on. Pope John the twenty third was a big fella, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Big guy.
Speaker 1: And what was he eaten?
Speaker 4: A lot of pasta?
Speaker 2: Huh? They had to slit his robes in the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to do that to a pair of pants one time when I was anchoring the John and Ken.
Speaker 2: Show, exactly the same thing, for exactly the same reason.
Speaker 1: I bent down to get something out of my purse, and.
Speaker 2: Oh, you did it accidentally accident. He at least had tailors do it.
Speaker 1: So that so that his ass didn't make this lid itself.
Speaker 4: I doubt it interesting. I doubt it must be nice.
Speaker 2: They also said that Pope John Paul the second was a very athletic guy in his youth, so he had big, broad shoulders.
Speaker 4: Great shoulders. Do you remember his shoulders?
Speaker 2: I don't have built like an much recollection Pope's shoulders.
Speaker 5: I do not.
Speaker 2: The tailor says, as soon as the Holy See tells us that we must make the robes, we start immediately. Somebody makes buttonholes, somebody works out measurements, someone cuts it, someone sews it. And they said that to make the complete set they need about fifteen days.
Speaker 1: So this is going to be like a rudimentary cassock. And then once they get the once they know the guy they make, that's when they make the fresh cassock, the new cassock. I'm assuming you have several cassocks. How many times do you think I can say cassock today? Many more than you've ever said in your life. Many times.
Speaker 2: You've got different versions of what the pope does wear ceremonial guard or I mean, is there.
Speaker 1: Is there a khaki one like when Obama wore that khaki suit. Do we see a khaki cassock? I don't think so. I think it's red. I think it's white. I think it's black, maybe purple for Easter? Is there a purple one? Or do you just look at like Barney at that point? Is there a purple I feel like I've seen a purple cassock for Easter?
Speaker 3: Oh maybe, Yeah, you'd have to check.
Speaker 1: You'd have to check red and in some adorned with more design, I would assume.
Speaker 3: Does he have an away game?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Is there like the color rush Vatican City connects Jersey?
Speaker 4: Does he dress like organ at some point? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oregon?
Speaker 1: Well, their color rush is always a little aggressive.
Speaker 3: They are all of their uniforms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, we will stay on top of everything coming out of the Vatican.
Speaker 3: We have a new pope. Everybody.
Speaker 1: The white smoke began to billow out of that Chimney at the Sistine Chapel just as we were coming on the air about an hour ago. We will stay with this and bring it to you live right here on Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app.