Speaker 1: Okay, when we come back, What if you could give your papa pill and they'd live longer.
Speaker 2: Apparently that technology is right around the corner.
Speaker 1: So we're going to be talking about a clinical trial called Stay.
Speaker 2: It's apparently a real possibility.
Speaker 1: Gene Hackman has been found dead along with his wife and their dog in their mountainside home in Santa Fe, New Mexico. They were found during a welfare check yesterday. Hackman won two oscars during his more than forty year career for the French Connection. In nineteen seventy two and in nineteen ninety three, you've been talking about.
Speaker 3: The Queen again. On Independence Day.
Speaker 1: For the Unforgiven, Gene Hackman was ninety five. The number of Americans applying for jobless benefits last week has jumped to a two hundred and forty two thousand. That's a three month high. And if your heart stops beating, your watch can tell you about it. The FDA has approved a feature on the Pixel three watch. The feature detects if you have a pulse. If a pulse isn't detected, the watch will say, hey, are you okay? And if you don't respond, it'll call nine one one for you. It's already available in other countries and could be in the US by the in the next month. Long Live the Dogs. We may soon be able to help our furry friends live longer, healthier lives. And to find out more about that, let's say good morning to the founder and CEO of Loyal Selene Hallio. Yah.
Speaker 2: Okay, I probably messed that up. Selene. How do you say your last name?
Speaker 3: It's Holly Love.
Speaker 2: Holly Love, oh hollywah.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry I have I have never had an instance in my life where somebody's pronounced it rya the first try.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I was going to try, and then I forgot to pre read it again and well anyway, so uh, Eileene, thanks so much for coming on today. We were very fascinated about this story because we love our pets. We wish that we could have them longer, and now there may be a way. So tell us about what this new clinical trial is and what we're looking for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, we are developing a drug that, if it gets approved, you'll be able to go to your vet and de prescribed a drug that's only use case to keep your relatively healthy senior dog healthier longer. So we're basically trying to help senior dogs have a higher quality of life and a longer life too.
Speaker 1: And what does the pill do that enables him to live longer and healthier.
Speaker 3: So the kind of cornerstone of lifespan extension has been understand is core restriction. Actually, so you could there's a really interesting study by the dog food company Purina that showed that you could expend a lifespan, right, that's my dog. Extend a lifespan of labradors by two years if you clorqually restrict at them. But literally, no one wants to colorically restrict their dog. Maybe Della is barking because she just heard the word cloric restriction. And so what we worked really hard on was can you develop a pill that emulates the benefits that happens in a dog need colorqually restrict without making them lose weight, without not allowing them to have tree And that's been the last five years.
Speaker 2: Of loyal Okay.
Speaker 1: So and when you're talking about extending lives, you said for a laboratory it's like two years. And is the goal then just longevity or is it to have them longer and have them healthier? Because you know, if they're if they can't move and that kind of stuff, do you really want to have them longer? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way to think about it is pulling out the healthy middle years. So yes, absolutely longer and healthier.
Speaker 1: And is this only for dogs? Are you looking at other at cats or just dogs?
Speaker 3: Well, my kitten is also running around and we have a contingency at a company that are heavy cat people, so we would consider cats too. I think it's definitely going to be on the docket, but we're currently focusing on dogs right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So and you are you have to get approval before you can start doing this from governmental organizations.
Speaker 2: So how do you go about getting that?
Speaker 3: Oh, well, it's a lot of work. We've been working on it for about five years. So yeah, it's actually like a it's like a human drug that you might get from your doctor. Right, you have to get FDA approval on you know, does it work, is it safe? And we are running through those processes and we're hopefully we're projecting FDA approval at the end of this year.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And you are doing a study and is that for the FDA approval where you're doing some trials or does that come after it's in.
Speaker 3: Parallel actually, Okay, so yeah, we are running in parallel to the drug being on market. We are going to have about a thousand dogs in the US that are going to be followed for five or more years to look at. Okay, how long does this extend our lifespan? And how how do they age over the years of being on this drug?
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're looking you're going to do a thousand dogs? You have all the dogs you need or do you need more?
Speaker 3: We're pretty close, but we could take some more. We could always take more dogs. And we have a couple of sites local in the area too. We have Plaza to the Animal in Torrents. We have one in Norco one in Santa Clarita. If you're a dog owner and you're interested in being a part of a really important canine longevity study, you can go on our website loyal dot com and drop in your zip code and find all the study sites.
Speaker 1: Okay, so if you're interested in participating, and then does it also have information about this people want to find out more about the new drug and where it's at.
Speaker 2: Is that also on your website? Okay?
Speaker 3: So that's Loyal lots of cute dog photos and lots.
Speaker 1: Of cute dog photos, which is so important. Okay, so it's loyal dot com and we've we've been talking to the founder and CEO of Loyal and I'm just going to say it's Selene.
Speaker 2: Perfect, all right, Thank you so much. Selene.
Speaker 1: Again, if you want more information, loyal dot com is where to find it.
Speaker 2: Good luck.
Speaker 1: I think it would be wonderful if our furry friends could live longer and hang out with us for longer periods of time.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you, all right, Thanks Selene,