Speaker 1: It is eight oh four here at Kentucky Anda's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas thank you for hanging out with us.
Speaker 2: Going to be another hot day today.
Speaker 1: In fact, it's been a hot week thus far, got up to ninety yesterday. That may happen today before the rain arrives expected tomorrow and on Friday as well. A story that we have certainly talked about quite a bit in the last couple of days, and that is what's taking place on Barchtown Road the last two weekends, no surprise Mayor Greenberg, Chief Humphrey obviously getting out in front and letting residents, letting business owners know that they're gonna As Mary Greenberg said, there's really no there's nothing that's off the table as far as what needs to be done to get this fixed. And I think we have some early signs of progress regarding that. It's tough to know for sure, right we'll see this weekend if in fact there is real progress made as far as one keeping that kind of stuff from happening, but also holding those accountable as best you can who.
Speaker 2: Break the law.
Speaker 1: You've got a bar that is already that they will in fact go ahead and shut down earlier. That's Highland Taphouse. They decided to start closing at two am instead of four am. That could lead to other businesses maybe deciding to do the same thing. And this isn't necessarily progress, but it is at least a sign that they are going to make sure that these businesses that may be cutting corners and doing things that they shouldn't do, that they're held accountable. Greenberg last night mentioned that the Louisville Metro Police Department, I'm sorry, the Lottle Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness made a visit to friends hohok A lounge on Bargetown Road and they were able to determine that the business I was operating with an expired license. So they have been ordered to remain closed until that issue is resolved.
Speaker 2: So again we'll see.
Speaker 1: And does sound as if they are certainly ready to hold those accountable that do in fact break the law. I mean, that's what that's what they' that's what they're there, that's what they are there to do. And if I was you, I certainly wouldn't test that, but that you know, that's just me. Also, when it comes to UL baseball hosting, the Super Regional just two wins away from Omaha. You've got excitement back for Loule of a baseball and it's been a while. Not to say that those that are fans just haven't been interested, but whenever you're hosting a big event like this and it's a best of three series with a chance to get to Omaha, the energy is back. And I swear whenever I saw yesterday that this was the first time they're hosting a Super Regional since twenty nineteen, it kind of took me back, just because I'm thinking there's no way could be that long. But it has been quite some time, but that energy has returned and a lot of folks looking to get tickets. Should be a good weekend out there at Jim Patterson Stadium. Also coming up here before too long, we're going to bring in Rory O'Neil of NBC News and talk about something I didn't expect to be talking about, but maybe I shouldn't be surprised. That is the increase in marijuana usage among seniors. In fact, it's at an all time high right now. So we'll talk to Rory about that as well as get an update from him on the latest when it comes to the fighting that's going on in Ukraine. Something we talked about earlier is the return of a very popular McDonald's menu item. I've never it, but clearly I'm well aware how popular that it was. And I say it was because they went they got rid of it. The snack Rap was removed from the menu in twenty sixteen, and yesterday McDonalds announced they're bringing it back. As of July tenth, the snack Rap is going to return. They're gonna have a couple of different flavors, spicy and ranch, and it's gonna be with their new Mick Crispy strips. And it fascinates me to see just how many people are over the moon about this, just absolutely on cloud nine because a fast food item is returning. And I don't say that to poke fun or shame them, because I get it. There's menu items and well, that's what we discussed is fast food items that went away and then these companies realized, oh wait, we should bring this back. It's really popular. The McRib was one long ago, the Taco Bell, Mexican Pizza, Windy Spicy chicken nuggets. I talked about the chicken fries returning in Burger King. I was really excited about that. Many years ago. I forgot about the double down at KFC that returned for that return for a limited time there.
Speaker 3: That was the Yeah, that was the one where they just brought out the two chicken strips basically chicken breasts.
Speaker 2: Really it looks like a heart attack.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 3: You and I were talking about TikTok and what's on there, and I've found some nostalgic recipes.
Speaker 4: I actually made your own version.
Speaker 3: Well, the copycat recipe the way KFC used to taste. If you've been to Claudia Sanders at all, yes, that's the closest I can get to the way KFC used to taste back when I was a kid. So I decided to give the copycat recipe a shot, and I gotta admit, man.
Speaker 4: It good. Yeah, it's just heavy on the papri rika.
Speaker 3: You start to figure out what the actual eleven herbs and spices are if you like, I like to play in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: So after a while you kind of have an idea.
Speaker 3: But you know, you go back and some of these copycat recipes have come to fruition that I've done very well.
Speaker 4: Some have been way off something.
Speaker 1: Yes, you never really know that you give it a shot, right, So there have been fast food items that were popular then returned to stay, or then they returned just for a limited time. And there's also fast food items that you may forget existed. And these restaurants probably hope that you forget that it ever existed because they were big busts. I don't remember eating this one. I probably didn't because I was very young at the time that it came out. But I remember the McDonald's Arch Deluxe. Yeah, that was a gourmet burger with a quarter pound patty, bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and a mustardy mustard mayonnaise sauce. And it had a potato flour bun. But it flopped. It was McDonald's attempting to, I guess, give you a sophisticated burger, and it didn't work out. I don't remember these, but I'm not surprised they didn't work out. Burger King had satisfries. It was a lower calorie crinkle cut fry with forty percent less fat than the regular fries. And you know, there's nothing wrong with given somebody a healthy option, but they probably need to taste pretty good.
Speaker 2: And I guess I guess these.
Speaker 3: Did not remember Burger King had the international sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Burger King's not to take a swing on it at all.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, I meant to ask you last time we did this segment, who do you prefer when it comes to like either the big Mac or the Whopper?
Speaker 2: Do you have a preference honestly? Whopper?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know I I don't have them often, but when I do it pretty good. You do you remember Taco Bell's seafood salad believe that real? That sounds salad with strength whitefish SnO cred. Yeah, that happened in the eighties, which ill, Yeah, I'm glad to see that did not stick around. Oh that makes my stomach sure they same here? Can you imagine me in a meeting somebody pitching that. How about a seafood salad at a fast food restaurant?
Speaker 2: Yikes?
Speaker 1: All right, another update of trafficking Weather's coming your way right here on news.
Speaker 2: Radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 1: It is eight sixteen here at Kentucky this morning News Nick coffee with you as we take you up until nine o'clock and then we'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight. This is a breakdown from Northwestern Mutual that I wanted to discuss and I find it to be interesting. I hope you guys do as well. But it's a it's a study, and sometimes you know, the findings within a study are are interesting and worthwhile, But then sometimes you realize that do we really mean do we really need the study? Like almost read you, this is just the headline here. Study financial uncertainty is making people feel depressed and anxious. That's like study people who commit crimes end up in jail more than those who don't. Oh ka, I mean that to me, that's a very obvious thing that financial uncertainty, stress about money and your finances is going to make you anxious and maybe even depressed.
Speaker 2: But nearly two thirds.
Speaker 1: Of Americans sixty three percent admit money worries have kept them up at night. According to Northwestern Mutuals Planning and Progress study, which has just came out, it finds that sixty nine percent say financial uncertainty has left them feeling anxious and depressed. Even our love lives are affected, as fifty seven percent of those who are married or living with a partner say financial uncertainty has impacted their relationship. That's not anything positive. But I cannot say in any way that I'm surprised at all, because I get it. I mean, yeah, I can be stressful.
Speaker 4: If you're worried about money. But that's what's when you mentioned that.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's kind of like politics, you know, in some weird way, we're still having the same arguments, and I'm hearing the same things from people today that my old man was saying forty years ago. And when Northwestern Mutual comes out with a study like this, yeah, it's okay, captain obvious next and it's that, Yeah, of course people are worried about.
Speaker 4: Their finances right now.
Speaker 3: And I think for the first time, I didn't get into the whole price thing because normally I just go in and I buy stuff. I don't worry about paying it. And yeah, now I'm starting to see it. Like, for example, there are some like I told you, I love my chocolate craving at night. I noticed a big jump in the chocolate I like to buy. I mean, you're talking like a two dollars and fifty jump. That's a pretty big If you start tolling.
Speaker 2: That card did not notice that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't mind.
Speaker 3: I'm okay with price fluctuations like if gas goes up a nickel or ten cents, even fifteen cents, I'm okay with that.
Speaker 1: As I've discussed and probably shouldn't admit, I'm kind of an adult. Like my wife does all the grocery shopping. Yeah, she handles a lot of our finances. So oftentimes don't really buy anything unless I need it. I'm talking about getting gas, getting food, if I need to grab a bite to eat. I mean, like, I so what I'm going to get. It's not like I don't ever look at any price. But I feel like regardless, if you're somebody like myself or somebody that is in charge of getting the groceries every week for your family and you're monitoring price, well, good for you. You're probably you know, you're probably noticing some things, and you're maybe able to save some money. So honestly, I should be more like you. However, I don't know what you're seing. I don't know what situation you could be into where you have not noticed that when you go to purchase something that maybe you just get somewhat regularly. Maybe you get it a few times a year. It's more like nothing being more expensive should surprise anybody right now.
Speaker 4: Not at all.
Speaker 3: And now on the flip side of that, there are things I think stores, grocery stores, local grocery stores are here doing a good job at putting certain things on sale, so you have to it takes a little bit more personal responsibility.
Speaker 4: For example, I love strawberries.
Speaker 3: Well, I find a great deal on strawberries yesterday, and I stocked up, and I'll see a great deal on other stuff that I see.
Speaker 4: I think stores do a great job.
Speaker 3: And with these new apps that we get now where they can track what we spend, that is a fantastic tool for everybody because then I get the weekly cute.
Speaker 4: Bond sent to me in the mail.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's way we got incentive to make that store where you go because you know you're gonna be I mean, that's there's a good there's a good reason for doing that.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 3: There's personal responsibility at hand here, and I think both sides are making strides to meet.
Speaker 4: In the middle.
Speaker 1: It is here that thirty nine percent of gen z and thirty eight percent of millennials, it is it has them feeling the anxiousness and depression at times on a weekly basis. So look, I get it. Money, money worries is always going to be a stressful thing. And obviously things are very expensive now, and you know some people, you know, they've had to probably sacrifice and maybe make some changes to their to what they do because times are hard. I get it, all right, quick break, we'll come back on. We'll come back here in just just a few minutes and get you an update on sports.
Speaker 2: You're up.
Speaker 1: Your next update on weather and traffic is coming up right here on Who's ready? Wait forty whas? All right, it's ay forty five here Kentucky at this morning news on News Ready eight forty whas. We'll be handing it off to Tony and Dwight here shortly, Tony, have you seen any of the pictures floating around on social media actor Terrence Howard hanging out in Louisville. No, so they're filming a movie and it's on pause because of a strike that's going on with the crew. And this is actually right around Derby time, I think where he was first spotted at a breakfast place in the Highlands, and then I don't know how recent the picture is, but somebody posted it yesterday and it wouldn't shock me if it's within the last couple of days where he was out and about somewhere and they got a picture and he smirked as if like, Okay, this is the acknowledgment that yes, I'm who you think I am. And spotting celebrities during Derby Week, spotting celebrities at Churchill Downs, or like even in an airport at a big city, you might be taken aback like, oh wow, that's such and such, or wait a second, is that who I think it is? And then you consider situation, circumstance where you are, and it would make sense. But running into a random celebrity in some of the most random play like this, there's probably been sightings that someone thought that that might be it, but they're thinking.
Speaker 4: On no way.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: What my experience in the last thirty five years being in media in Louisville is that Louisvillians really don't they care that you're over there. But they're not stargazers. They're not like Rick Patino said it. Rick said in Lexington, I couldn't go to dinner. He goes in Louisville, people don't care. I'm in the restaurant and that's it, and they don't even They might look over and say, yeah, that's Rick Patino. But he was like, there's a big difference in Louisville. I think I don't know why that is, but we don't mob celebrities in Louisville. It's like, oh, that's so and so cool.
Speaker 1: Speaking of mobbing celebrities, back in the day, it would be mobbing to say hello and find something that they could sign. I can't relate. I know, you sign a lot of autographs, take a lot of pictures. I've never that's not my life. Maybe I'll get there one day, like you and Dwight. Remember those shiny, glossy pictures they used to have.
Speaker 5: I don't think people do that, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, welcome McClain showed up. They had thirty of them. Nobody took one of them, and then they put an in it. I mean, that's that's what happened. But anyways, nobody's getting on like it's lost to me. Think a celebrity son an autograph. There wasn't like memorabilia as an athlete. Now it's all about getting your phone out getting a selfie.
Speaker 5: So I think most of the time you go to those cosplays whatever, those little nerd conventions that they have where you know, like the stars of Jaws are there, or like Freddy Krueger is yeah, yeah, those comic Yeah, the comic con things like there's one in Lexington it's called Freyfest and the Freddy Krueger guy is going to be there, like they do their signings there. Plus there's also like people stop asking for autographs really, I think. But then the guys they sell it online, like if you've ever been to like.
Speaker 2: A sports thing.
Speaker 1: It's a real big in sports to where athletes now know I'm not signing it. You're just going to try to make.
Speaker 5: A bunch of money. Yes, And we used to do shows, whether it be a former UFL player there or something like that, old timer and he would they would get mad because again they were somebody would show up at twenty things and the guy would say, look, man, I'm not signing twenty things. I'll sign something for you, but I know what you're doing and I'm not doing that, which I think was a cool deal.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 5: The guy I understood was like, oh okay, man, I.
Speaker 1: Don't understand it. And again, people can spend their money on whatever they want. I'm sure I spend money on things that people would never want to spend money on, but I've always not been able to relate to those who really want. Like, memorability that you hang up in your home is cool, but saying something is now worth a million dollars because it was signed by somebody, I mean, well, you.
Speaker 5: See him more now. So social media and the internet. You see these people in starsay life, right, So that's you know, that's one thing, But you don't want to meet a lot of these people. Oh yeah, you don't want to know st your heroes. Mickey Mantle. Uh, there's a book called The Last Boy Boy Scout and you should read that because the press would not cover like Kennedy, and up until Kennedy they would didn't. They didn't cover Actually after Kennedy, they wouldn't cover the private lives of these stars, and Mickey Mantle was that and he was sort of the last boy Scout. Is what they're saying is make sense. The New York Press said, we have to cover that he's a and a womanizer and he's not a very good person like we have to keep their business. And they finally broke that fourth wall, I guess, journalist wise, journalism wise, and said we got to cover this. And then after that they started covering the TMZ type of the athletes. But before then that the private lives were off limits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's wild how it's gone completely the opposite direction over many, many, many years, because now they want to try to find anything they can on you, because that's now good, that's what it's now good for the business, whereas previously, you know, it was better for them. If everybody's just still in awe by this, I mean, it's tough to say because we don't know this for certain, but man, it certainly feels like nobody benefited from the timing of culture and society, especially technology lack of social media than Michael.
Speaker 5: Jordan's right, Michael Jordan is the smartest dude walking on the planet, because here I heard he did not engage in any of that stuff. And boy, if there's a time now that stars and athletes need to just shut up and move along, is this culture of you're either a devil or the saint. And right now I'm not saying you shouldn't have in your opinion and you're for this or that, but right now would be smart for people to say, I have no comment.
Speaker 1: So Reggie Miller was my favorite athlete growing up. I mean, he was the guy pretended to be shooting basketball in the driveway. And when Louisville played against Minnesota in Des Moines in the NCAA Tournament, he was on the call and we had the open practice, the media and FanFest thing that went on the day before, and he was he was probably within I don't know ten feet of me, and I thought, I can't believe it. I mean all but I thought to myself, I'm not doing it. There's no the chance to where this would end up being an experience that I felt was worth. It is not as good asking him giving me an impression of himself that I would feel like he's no longer this guy that he was my hero.
Speaker 5: Now the opposite was Kareem. My hero now is White Whitten, who just walked in. By the way, he cobbled in Reggie Miller.
Speaker 1: Reggie Miller out Dwight Whitten in us up Nick coffee, how we feeling.
Speaker 6: Coffee man like to drink?
Speaker 5: Okay, he's got his sunglasses on still inside.
Speaker 6: So this is just by chance, okay, the only reason I've got. I'm not pissed off, I'm not hungover, none of that.
Speaker 2: I thought this was an insult.
Speaker 1: You're reminding me with your sunglasses you're a little hungover too much tequila last night, just to let me know that I can't drink past eight pm.
Speaker 6: Generally, when you see me walking in with the sunglasses still on, it's.
Speaker 5: A bad scene, man, But not scene here this.
Speaker 6: Morning is just because I had my shady rays color rush on. I parked my Craig Lander.
Speaker 5: At jeepes dot com, and.
Speaker 6: As you know, I didn't want to whip them off with the crutches I got, you know, gray Canyon Mule already with all this crap, so I just left them on. That's how the story is.
Speaker 1: With is the commute getting better as far as vehicle to studio or is it still a pain in the air.
Speaker 5: It's such a painting Oh, you just seen yesterday leaving. I tried to help him, that was impossible. You ended up slamming your laptop on the ground again from your cheap backpack.
Speaker 6: Yeah sput Nick, by the way, has been dropped twice still they give you.
Speaker 1: The option to do a surgery for a quicker recovery, or they just say this.
Speaker 2: Is it wouldn't been.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't have been any quicker.
Speaker 2: Same thing.
Speaker 6: And so basically, doctor Michael Solomon, they flew him in from what's.
Speaker 5: The Furthest Solomon Allen's Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they flew him all the way from Australia.
Speaker 6: So, I mean, this guy knows his business, Doctor Michael Solomon does.
Speaker 1: Yet that's the kind of care you would expect for someone like Dwight Whitten.
Speaker 2: We're next, fellas, have a good show.