Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I Am six forty.
Speaker 2: The bill handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio f Amy, what are the eight business opposed to just five o'clock because the commercials, I guess I.
Speaker 3: Would think it would be And we don't know. We were talking about this yesterday. We're like, why five oh eight? And it's always been that way. It's probably so like the announcers can introduce everything. That's what I'm thinking that they can kind of get the show in.
Speaker 2: The broadcast world when they say first pitch at you know, okay, you got eight minutes.
Speaker 1: Worth of commercials.
Speaker 2: Because commercials at the world series aren't very valuable.
Speaker 1: Are they. No.
Speaker 2: I'd love to know how much advertisers because it was it's at KLA see our sister station on the Hall that carries the Dodgers. I wonder what those spots are going for. I'm gonna call now. They're not gonna let me know because I'll immediately report it to you.
Speaker 1: And on the air.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move into politics for a moment. Latino voters this is an easy one. Latino voters are key in California races that could sway Congress Okay, that is sort of a given.
Speaker 1: Boy am I brilliant in telling you that?
Speaker 2: But it goes a little deeper than that, goes a lot deeper than that, because as of right now, the Republican majority in Congress is four I mean, you talk about a razor thin majority. You know, all the Democrats have to do is spin off four seats. They have to win four seats, and now they control Congress. And some of California's most competitive congressional races are in Latino districts. For example, the thirteenth Congressional Merced County, fifty percent of eligible voters are Latino. The twenty second Congressional district Kern, King Tillarry Counties, it's fifty nine percent of eligible voters are Latino.
Speaker 1: And then it goes on and on.
Speaker 2: Now the races for those seats, including the twenty seventh, currently occupied by Republicans, but Biden won all of them in twenty twenty. Wooh, so what ends up happening? Well, if it was that Latinos were important before, they are monumentally important now.
Speaker 1: The Latino voters it's much like radio.
Speaker 2: And I've been around long enough, and I think Amy's been around long enough, where Latino radio stations were really fringe.
Speaker 1: You know, no one.
Speaker 2: Paid much attention to them until advertisers and corporations realized this is a real important group of people. And now you have, well you have agencies that do nothing but Latino audiences, and you've got focus groups and of course radio stations. Well, the same thing is happening in the world of politics, where all of a sudden Latinos become very very important. They didn't used to because they didn't vote very much. Well that's changed as Latinos realized they have.
Speaker 1: A real power base.
Speaker 2: Latino voters are increasingly influential and diverse because what's the Latino voter, right, Mexicans Cubans for example, or Latino and they are historically very conservative. You talk to a Cuban American that's a Republican, tried and true. Mexicans generally vote Mexican Americans generally vote for the Democrats.
Speaker 1: So what are they doing?
Speaker 2: Well, just to give you an idea, one of the Congress people who is running again as a Democrat by the name of George Whitesides. He is actually trying to represent District twenty seven. On Sunday, he held an event ballots and burritos all you think that that is aimed.
Speaker 1: At the Latino community.
Speaker 2: The California Republican Party has opened three Latino community centers in Palmdale, Bakersfield, merced. The Republican National Committee has a national Latino National Engagement Coordinator.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what.
Speaker 2: That is, but it's a guy who was born in Mexico and became a US citizen justin Marsh. Democratic Assemblyman Adam Gray, who's trying to get rid of Representative John Dwarty, who is a Republican in Modesto the thirteenth, said he's had more volunteers in this campaign than ever over the last twelve years. There's a company called something called the Libre Initiative Action. It's a national conservative Latino political organization that really didn't exist. Because now you have both parties that are vying for the Latino vote, and the Latino vote could literally transform Congress into a Democratic majority. So this ramble is going on. So it turns out there where the Latino vote was sort of a given, the Democrats sort of had it. No one really pushed for it very much. It was almost like the black community going for the Democrat almost automatically.
Speaker 1: Well that's not the case anymore.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden has for some reason, well the Democrats in general, nationally black, the male black vote has decreased, the support has decreased, which has just put everything in a turmoil. I mean, no one knows, but I'll tell you what is going to happen. You are going to see more and more pressure, more and more advertising, more and more of the ground war.
Speaker 1: Being put into Latino districts. So to give you an idea of how important it is.
Speaker 2: In Duardes District, which he won in twenty twenty two, and that's the Congressman Dwarti. He won it in twenty twenty two by five hundred and sixty four votes. Every vote is worth its weight in gold. And that's according to his campaign manager. And so what are the issues. Well, like everything else, the issues among Latino's jobs, the economy, inflation, housing, affordability, which puts it right into the Republican camp because that is the strongest argument the Republicans have in terms of the economy and blaming the Democrats. Now, if it were simply any other issue, if it were immigration, come on, the Republicans would die on the vine, but that's not as important. The important one is where the Democrats are the most vulnerable. It's going to be an absolute wild ride coming up, not only with the presidential but also with Congress and the Senate. It looks like the Democrats are going to have a hard time holding onto this Senate majority because it's fifty to fifty now. It looks like Congress could go the other way. And of course the big one is who's going to be the next president, and we're starting going to be looking.
Speaker 1: At that throughout the rest of.
Speaker 2: Well the campaign, which is now what two weeks out for the elections.
Speaker 1: Matter of fact, what I'm going to do is.
Speaker 2: Later on at eight point thirty talk about how the pollsters blew it in twenty twenty, and how we look at the polls every single day, and how it's reported every day in all the national news outlets and fast.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating.
Speaker 2: You know, politics is just so much fun unless you get screwed by Apaul addition, which.
Speaker 1: Happens every day. All right, Moving over to a fun fact.
Speaker 2: You know how I love telling you about how you're probably going to die when the next earthquake comes.
Speaker 1: There is a there's a good chance you're going to die.
Speaker 2: If you happen to be in a hospital, there is a very good chance you're going to die. And this has to do with hospitals scrambling on earthquake retrofits.
Speaker 1: And this is law. Now.
Speaker 2: Half of the four hundred and ten hospitals in California have at least one building that will not be operatable after a major earthquake, and a lot of these hospitals say they don't have the money to meet a twenty thirty legal death deadline for earthquake retrofits. So the governor was asked, actually some state laws were passed granting relief to some hospitals, not giving relief to others in terms of the timeline for the earthquake retrofit. So Newsom in September voted legislation vetoed I'm sorry, legislation that was championed by the California Hospital Association that would have allowed all hospitals to apply for an extension of this twenty thirty deadline to twenty thirty five. Instead, he signed a much more narrowly tailored bill that allows small, rural, quote distressed hospitals to get an extension for up to three years. They have until twenty thirty three. Now, this all came out of the nineteen seventy one earthquake and it destroyed all of you Medical center in Silmhar. They had just finished this massive, great medical center. My mother worked there. She was a lab tech and she was in the basement of that hospital, that's.
Speaker 1: Where the lab was.
Speaker 2: And she was supposed to start her shift half an hour after the earthquake hit.
Speaker 1: If it had hit half an hour later, she'd be dead well.
Speaker 2: And if you look at pictures of the Silmar quake and you look at pictures of all of you medical center, I mean the whole thing is just half of it is collapsed or it's just off of its foundation, and people died. And then you had the nineteen nineteen ninety four six point seven Northway a Northridge quake killed fifty seven people. So we have laws that left California hospitals with two sets of standards. First one had a deadline of two thousand and eight to be retrofitted. That was pushed to twenty twenty. Hospitals have to stay standing after an earthquake, and twenty facilities have yet to meet that requirement, and then they changed it again that not only do they have to stay standing, they have to still function as hospitals and that is much more difficult.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this is expensive stuff.
Speaker 2: The Rand Corporation, which is a think tank, it's not politically one way or political one way or the other, has come up with a figure that is ninety two million dollars per building to retrofit, and the Hospital Association says, we don't want money, we can't do it. On the other hand, you've got the lobbying of California Nurses Association, the labor unions and their people are going to be caught underneath that hospital when it collapses during an earthquake, and they're saying, you've had thirty years to do this, and come on, you have the money. So Newsom is sort of, I guess, compromised on this where he said, I'm not going to give the majors longer than twenty thirty. I am how I am, however, going to allow the miners. Miners being small hospitals under fifty beds, hospitals in your rural area's distressed hospitals, they're going to have another three years to do this. You know, you don't want to be in a hospital. And a lot of these are older buildings too. I mean, how many new hospitals are being built. I mean, if you look at what's happening in Orange County, you got UCI building hospital buildings like crazy. I mean there are campuses, Kaiser Is building all over. But if you have independent hospitals that have one building, two buildings, you know that retrofitting. Can a major hospital group afford it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Probably can a smaller community hospital afford it?
Speaker 1: Probably not.
Speaker 2: Also, he vetoed a bill that was specific to Providence hospitals.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that even went through. I mean that's illegally.
Speaker 2: You cannot have a bill in California that helps one company. It has to be a general bill. Although they can write it so it does run one company, just it does affect only one company. Congress can do it all day long. They can pick a company and go, we're going to help you. That's federal law. California can't. So in this one you've got the governor sort of walking the line. And I'm going to go back to when the big one comes, you're probably gonna die. But when the big one comes to a hospital you're getting Oh, for example, here's a good one. Why don't you be in the middle of a surgery when the whole building starts shaking. How's that for a lottery win? Just wanting to make it feel better, as I always do. Coming up the traditional retail calendar, we've talked about this because they're starting the sales, the holiday sales, earlier and earlier. For example, we've got Saint Patrick's Day. The sale is coming up next week. But isn't Saint Patrick, say, March fourteenth? You bet it is Christmas sales, Halloween sales, Thanksgiving sales, which started six months ago. I'll tell you about the trend. And by the way, if you think that's happening, it is, and i'll jump into that upon our return. I want to tell you a story. Well, I think you've seen it, and you've talked about it and you've experienced it.
Speaker 1: And this has to do with the old saw.
Speaker 2: It's Christmas way sooner than December twenty five, Thanksgiving is way sooner than last Thursday in November, and all of the seasons are way sooner. And I'm talking about retail shopping. And some years that's just a myth this year, It's not a myth this year. It's a lot earlier, and I mean clothing, food, home goods. These stores are only too happy to push the season earlier in earlier. Why Well, because we shop more, we spend more money during this period, and the retailers are scrambling for people spend more time, more money. So what happens? Well, this year, Thanksgiving Day falls on November twenty eighth, five fewer days of shopping before Christmas compared with last year, so the pressure is insane. Bath and Bodyworks loyalty program you could buy well starting September twenty four for.
Speaker 1: The holiday season.
Speaker 2: It's what a while ago preview collection of candles and scents like winter candy, apple and bright Christmas Morning?
Speaker 1: How much are those?
Speaker 2: By the way, I generally don't buy candles, you know, these weird flavors and sense of candles.
Speaker 1: Just you could bought it? Can you imagine September twenty four?
Speaker 2: Last year it was October third Whole Foods, pumpkin spice pancakes and waffle mix, apple pear ginger Italian soda.
Speaker 1: This sounds disgusting.
Speaker 2: Pumpkin spice ground coffee sounds disgusting first two weeks of September a year ago.
Speaker 1: Guess what way earlier, because August.
Speaker 2: Twenty two is when they introduced that Krispy Kreme does it every year, and it used to be just a few days before whatever holiday.
Speaker 1: Now it's the entire month.
Speaker 2: So you've got Halloween the entire month, you have November the entire month, December the entire month of these sales, and they're literally when one ends, the next one starts. And it's pr but it also means that more money is being spent because you tend to scramble. Oh, we got a great deal for Saint Patrick's Day next March fourteenth. By the way, pumpkin spice, of course, is the big thing that's happened over the years. Here is one that's fun and amy. And tell me you have heard of this Hefty trash bags which a lot of people use. I buy Kirkland, but Hefty is a name brand which I think you can also.
Speaker 1: Buy at Costco.
Speaker 2: They actually have cinnamon pumpkin spice scented garbage bags.
Speaker 1: Enough for it? Oh is that fantastic?
Speaker 3: But it's probably helpful. Food in your garbage can get stinky sometimes that's true.
Speaker 1: It does these. I actually have a company.
Speaker 2: I pay I think thirty bucks a month for a company once a week to come out and clean out my big trash cans outside because they're so disgusting.
Speaker 1: But now when I'm read that guy who pays for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to clean that up. I mean, that's see there. I'll spend money. I won't spend seventeen dollars for a shirt when I can get it for fifteen bucks at Costco.
Speaker 1: But that kind of job I will do.
Speaker 2: I also pay a premium job for the ultrasoft Sharman toilet paper, and there's a premium there.
Speaker 1: Good to know.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, you know, I'm sharing way too much, but I always do. And those started on September twenty seven, and it started actually as a marketing gimmick.
Speaker 1: It was online.
Speaker 2: It sold out in seconds, and then they realized, okay, we've got something here. I think they ought to come out with these scented trash bags meat loaf scented trash bags.
Speaker 1: You should have seen.
Speaker 2: Ann right now, she almost vomited. You can, well, yeah, we should have a contest. What do you and have Hefty involved? What kind of garbage bags? What kind of scent do you use for garbage bags?
Speaker 1: And it works. All of this stuff works.
Speaker 2: The bottom line is the holiday shopping season. Effectively, it's all year, That's what it is. And a lot of it is straight gimmicks, that's what that is. And well, for example, McDonald's with Donald Trump, as you know, was out of McDonald's serving up French fries at the winter at the window. McDonald's is now about to introduce the big down.
Speaker 1: No, they're not sounds good. If I were the Trump folks, i'd ask for that. All right.
Speaker 2: Coming off, I am digressing a little bit, and there's a topic I want to talk to you about because I spend a lot of time thinking about it talking about it, and I'm talking about back to office orders. You have to come back to the office. Remote working is sort of not working. We've talked about that, and there is the ongoing fight between employers and employees and it goes on to this day and it has not it has not calmed down.
Speaker 1: And I'll share that with you.
Speaker 2: Some of the big stories that we are covering has Belat has taken full and exclusive responsibility for a drone attack on Nittanyahu's home, and Israel has admitted, yeah, the home was hit. So it's just everything's ramping up and it doesn't stop. All right, Let's move over to something that you and I are involved with, and that is, and I'm assuming if you work for a corporation, the back to work remote working. It's not working for employers and employees. That's the rest of us are saying, we really like remote learning or remote working. And here's the issue. A lot of back to office orders. The problem is the company's enforcing those. You know what employees do. They just don't pay attention. They just Okay, we're not showing up. We'll do the work, but we're not going to come back to the office. And why is enforcement so difficult. Well, if everybody does that, what is the corporation going to do?
Speaker 1: Fire everybody?
Speaker 2: And let's say the argument is among employees, we're doing the same quality work. I mean, for example, right here on the morning show, I sometimes broadcast from my house virtually, well, I think all of us who broadcast we built home studios because we had to during the pandemic, couldn't come into the office, couldn't come into the studio, so we set up studios at home and it's kind of convenient. Is there a big difference? I know, you ask Anne, who is in the studio, she'll tell you there's a big difference. And as a matter of fact, there may very well be a difference. You know, the connection, the water cooler connection, and we don't even have a water cooler. But during the breaks and before and after the show, the camaraderie if I ever knew what camaraderie is, but discussions. I mean, it's just a better environment than when I broadcast from the house. However, I gotta tell you it's it's easy.
Speaker 1: You know. When I go into the studio, I have to wake up earlier, I have a shower.
Speaker 2: Assuming that I don't want to smell like a rhino and heat, and then I have to drive in, even though it's not much of a drive.
Speaker 1: Instead, I roll out of bed.
Speaker 2: And I just sit in front of the microphone and well, I prepped the show for a while. But it's you know, I save an hour, it's a good long time, save an hour on each side.
Speaker 1: And that's what we do.
Speaker 2: And I'm not alone because people want to work at home because commute times are done. You don't have to do makeup. If you are of that ilk, you don't have to dress. You just sit at home and you're a slob, which is what I love to do. Now Here is the problem. The employers are saying, and I think it's legitimate. You work better when you are in the office.
Speaker 1: There is more of a connection when you are in the office. And it's true.
Speaker 2: Now on the other side saying, hey, I don't want to commute, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To pay for daycare. I'll still do the work, and employers are going, well.
Speaker 2: You're really not doing the work, and if you look at all of the data, the work isn't as good. And then you're saying, well, you know it's good enough, or I do better and here I can show it to you and I produce more leads, or I'm more efficient or effective, and it doesn't matter for the employer. You got to come in and they're in is the fight, because there has to be some kind of a compromise, and major corporations are doing exactly that and employees, those of us who work for companies, it's a highbred system that we like. Okay, I'll come into the office two days a week or three days a week and I'll work from.
Speaker 1: Home a couple of days a week, and that's what we want.
Speaker 2: And a lot of companies saying, okay, that seems to be the magic bullet.
Speaker 1: Others say absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I think here at KFI, on the sales department, I think all of the salespeople have to be in five days a week, and we tell you how happy they were. But I've seen the data. It's there. People do better when they work out of the office. But then you get unhappy campers, and so where are they going to go? By the way, here's a stat eighty percent of the organization that were looked at here as a study that was done by c BR, one of the big big representatives of office buildings an office space, eighty percent organizations had put in place returned to office policies. Seventeen percent actively inforce those policies. So you've got a lot of companies saying we must do this. They're stamping their fists right, they're pounding their fists and saying you got to come back, you must come back, and the employees are basically ignoring it, and so what are they doing? The fight still continues, and as I said earlier. If you have enough people that are not paying attention to that new mandate, what does a company do, or how about this one of your top people, let's say the top salesperson in the organizations. I'll tell you what, I want to work from home. I'll come into the office once every two weeks. So you can't do that, okay, I'll take my skills, I'll take my abilities, I'll take my production someplace else.
Speaker 1: Now is a company prepared to lose one of their top people. No, they cave.
Speaker 2: You know. They're top people, make more money and can demand a lot more. So this is not going to go away. Started during the pandemic, people got used to it. It's nice working at home. Now you need certainly more discipline. People that work at home, well, they take off time during the day, they run errands, the kids go off to soccer practice. And they're saying, as long as the work is done, you can't complain, you can't bitch and moan about it. And the corporations are saying, no, the work is not as good. So where do you go with that? No one has any idea, not a chance. So am I going to talk about this next year? Probably am I going to keep on talking about it?
Speaker 1: Probably? Now?
Speaker 2: Amy has to be in the studio because she has to work out of the KFI news closet that they did generously call a newsroom.
Speaker 1: Amy, if you could work at home, if.
Speaker 2: You could take one of your smaller closets and set up a quote news center, would you do it?
Speaker 1: Do you know what?
Speaker 3: I don't think not on a regular basis?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah? Again, would you do a hybrid version if.
Speaker 3: I had the opportunity every once in a while too, Yeah, I think so?
Speaker 1: All right, Ann, would you do it if you could? Maybe one day a week? But I actually enjoy coming in me too, Okay, yeah, well that makes one of us well obviously because we're here, that's true, and I'm not. And by the way, a lot of people don't like me being there.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a lot to be said for me not being in the studio.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we're not arguing that. Okay, fair enough. Tech Tuesday coming up with Rich tomorrow. I haven't done that in a while since I came back from vacation.
Speaker 2: And we'll talk to We'll talk to Rich for a couple of segments, and then the pollster is blowing it, and then Halloween candy. Got to talk about that. I must talk about that sort of the history of Halloween candy, and this is really interesting stuff.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back. This is KFI.
Speaker 2: AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.