Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, the five o'clock hour underway here on a Thursday afternoon coffee and company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Make sure you sign up if you haven't yet, to become a member of the Refreshment Awards program at Thornton's because you'll save money. It's a gas pump right now. You sign up, you get a free red Bull. You also get twenty five cents off your first pill up after signing up. So again, take advantage Refreshment Awards dot com. Download the app and you will be good to go. I thought that by the time we got to the five o'clock hour today that there would be some level of like, maybe not confirmation, but just you know, something from a capital J that gives us.
Speaker 3: Confirmation.
Speaker 2: I suppose that this AMRII Huggins Bruce thing like is happening, meaning he's coming back to Louisville, and now it's just a matter of seeing if he'll be.
Speaker 3: Eligible to play. So I'll give you the latest.
Speaker 2: The South Carolina football program has confirmed that he has not been at practice the last couple of days. Well, I guess they haven't confirmed it meaning the program, but those who cover South Carolina have.
Speaker 3: Reported that.
Speaker 2: And then one of the coaches for South Carolina, I think it might have been their offensive coordinator, was asked after practice yesterday and declined to comment. In fact, I think he shifted the question to the head coach. So there's also some folks that I do you know, I wouldn't claim that these people are newsbreakers, but those that you know are active online in regard in U OFL sports and whatnot, that wouldn't just throw something out there to see if it sticks.
Speaker 3: That are making it up.
Speaker 2: But there's just not there's not you know, nobody's just saying it right like nobody's just coming out and saying, hey, AMURRII Huggins. Bruce has landed in Louisville, and now he's gone through the process of enrolling in school, which is the last day is tomorrow, and now you just have to wait to see if the NCAA clears him to play. I mean that is my guess as of right now as far as what's happening. And I never really thought this was real at all until you saw that he's no longer around their program, and it would make sense for him to come back to Louisville, a place he's familiar with. He's certainly he's certainly familiar with Jet Brahm and the offense. And another another component here is that by all accounts, he really really loved it at Louisville, Like he really liked Louisville, and he probably just left because you know, South Carolina is home, that's where he's from, he's been, he'd been at Louisville three years, and you know he could tell that he'd been recruited over. So I have no update. I don't think anybody has any legit jitimant like real update. And a big factor is that like nobody can like because he can't enter the portal, and it sounds like he's just you know, he's transferring, but doing it by not going through the portal because the portal's closed, like UFL wouldn't be allowed to talk about him. In fact, like this is where it just gets so confusing and unusual to where it makes me even more it makes me doubt that this actually ends up happening. Is that if he's not into the portal, then he's not been released for any school to talk to him. Like that's tampering something that you know you can't do. I'm sure it happens. In fact, I know it happens probably every day in college athletics, but you've got to be careful about it. Well, he can't into the portal because the portal's closed, So he shows back up at Louisville and en rows in class and ends up, you know, showing up to the football facility, which again I know that's not how this would ever play out, but like if he did, technically the staff wouldn't even be able to like acknowledge that he exists. I don't think maybe they could because he's a student there. But then again, he never got any kind of clearance from the NC DOUBLEA through the portal, which is why the portal process exists. So there's the smoke has been building by the day in regards to this actually happening. But there's a difference here. And you know, when I say happening, I mean, like, you know, he's left South Carolina, now he's back at Louisville. That doesn't mean he's gonna be able to play, because I just unless there's some kind of a loophole I'm unaware of, I don't see how he'd be able to play. I just don't see how he'd be cleared and be eligible to play at Louisville because clearly what he's doing here is something you're.
Speaker 3: Not allowed to do. So we'll see, we shall see, all right.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to get out of here before too long, a little bit earlier than usual today because of my duties that I have at Slugger Field throughout the first pitch. So well, we'll let you guys hear a conversation we had a little bit earlier with Kendrick Haskins. He joined us in the three o'clock hour. We did talk about the Huggins Bruce situation, but we also talked about some other things, so you'll hear that coming up shortly. But something else I wanted to get into is the Candid Coaches series that we've talked about here and there over the last week or so. Yesterday we discussed the coaches sharing thoughts on which programs in college basketball have the best in Aisle situation. For example, like if you're recruiting a player and you hear that another school is involved, you know which school? When it comes to an ale, do you think, oh, man, we were in really good shape to get this kid, but damn we don't have the money they have. And Louisville ended up coming in in the top ten. And I mean that's not surprising because again, this is Louisville. But man, think about what things could be like when the winning happens. I mean, we'll see, maybe the winning won't happen, but I mean this has all happened before this guy's coached a game yet, so that's super exciting.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So for those who again don't know what the candid coaches is, Gary Parrish and Matt and Orlander, they use their resources, their connections, their relationships with the college basketball coaches across the country and ask them direct questions and they never share which coach says what. But I always found this to be very informative because I think, as I've mentioned throughout the week, these two guys have the ability to get real honest answers from coaches I feel like more so than anybody else that covers college basketball. So the question of who will be the best team this season it was pretty close.
Speaker 3: At the top.
Speaker 2: Kansas has the most votes thirty five point six percent, Alabama twenty seven point nine, and then there's a little bit of a drop off Houston thirteen point five, Duke nine point six, and then Yukon seven point seven. Others that received votes but didn't get above seven percent Arizona, Baylor, Gonzaga, and North Carolina. So no surprise. I mean, Bama on paper looks like the best team in the country. Kansas, you know it. I was underwhelmed with Kansas kind of fell apart last year. But you have to keep in mind injuries were a huge part of that. I mean, they weren't themselves like the last two years, Kansas mean coming since Bill self won a national championship that following you if you remember, he had health issues, like I forgot about this, he had health issue. He couldn't even coach in the tournament. You remember they shelled Bill. They shelfed Bill self for the rest of the year whenever he had some kind of heart issue. He's healthy now. But then last year they were rolling looking great and then they just had injuries that you know, who's the guy that was, Kevin mccauller who was their main guy outside of Dickinson that ended up getting hurt and missed a bunch of time, so you know, they just weren't in full string. So I kind of feel like I don't trust them as much to be the best team in the country because of the last couple of years. But as mentioned, there were circumstances in play there and then Houston. Got a lot of respect for Houston, but I feel like Houston's been humbled at times. Right they look they're going to be really good, they'll win a bunch of games, but I just don't know if I could, you know, maybe I guess considering they've made a Final Four in the last few years or so, like, maybe a breakthrough national championship for them wouldn't be the biggest surprise. But as much as I love and respect Kelvin Sampson as a coach, and look, all Houston did last year is moved from the American to what everybody tells us is the deepest league in college basketball, the Big Two. And they won that league in the regular season with some with some room to spare, Like they didn't blow everybody out, But I think they won that league by like two games in the regular season. So because they haven't been a blue blood, I still kind of hesitate. And with Alabama, they're not blue blood either, but Alabama has got all the wom in them right now. They just had that breakthrough. Natos has been building something pretty special there at Alabama since he got there from Buffalo, and then last year broke through the Final Four, and now he crushed it into the portal. They bring back some really good players, so I'm a believer in Alabama. And then with Duke, I'll just say it, Duke is based off of Cooper Flag, right, Like, yeah, they bring back some guys they did well in the portal, Like they'll be good. They're always gonna have talent. But I'm actually be honest with you, man, I think Cooper Flag has a chance to be the best player in the country this year. Like I know, the portal has gotten everybody so focused on the instant gratification of a new guy that's a veteran that you watched be domin at this school for three years and now he's here because it is I mean, it's it's you know what you're getting in the portal as far as like who they are now, will it translate? Only time will tell in most instances. But what I mean is, you know, like this isn't a guy who you got to see if he's as good as advertised coming out of high school. These are guys that you know have produced at the college level. But Cooper Flag, I kind of feel like if the portal didn't exist and it was the old days where you just you know, bring back players who don't go pro and you bring in a bunch of freshmen, I feel like Cooper Flag would be the most talked about thing in college basketball. Like what he did against Team USA before they went they took off for the for the Olympics. I mean on the floor against Team USA in practice at times he looked like the best player. Like that's not an exaggeration. Now again, was he the best player? No, but like he wasn't as holding his own. He was out there competing as if he could play in the NBA against these guys right now. So I don't know, I kind of feel like, you know, we'll have another year here that we haven't had in a long time in regards to like a friend freshman being appointment viewing for everybody that loves basketball, right, people who love the NBA but they don't care about college basketball. If this Cooper Flag kid is as good as advertised, he'll I don't know. I don't want to say the Zion effect because that seemed to be like something that would be hard to recreate. But I happen to think he's going to be really, really good. Speaking of that, the next candid coaches question who will be the best player in college basketball for the upcoming season. So again they asked one hundred different Division I basketball coaches and the percentage here was a blowout. You know who it was, Cooper Flag. Thirty six percent of the coaches that were asked as far as who will be the best player in college basketball? Said freshman Cooper Flag. I think again, wouldn't be a shocker to see somebody who covers the sport say that. Wouldn't be shocked to see somebody who covers the NBA say that these are coaches who are in this like this, This is not like somebody trying to have a hot take and generate hype, you know what I'm saying, Like, these are guys, these these coaches who are recruiting high school kids. Still like Cooper flag and also navigating the portal trying to bring in these grown ass guys who can milk every bit out of college basketball as they can. They think he's gonna be the majority think he's gonna be the best player. Like, doesn't that make you even more so confident, John, that this guy's gonna be the real deal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's weird because we talk about it all the time. It's been such a I mean since Zion Williamson that we've had a freshman with this much hype.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think star power is actually going to be down this year in college basketball. What I mean by that is it's another reason why he could be up there because the other like these are all great players. But Mark Sears came in at number two with twenty two percent. Like Mark Sears was the point guard for Alabama who went to a Final four. He transferred from I believe Ohio. I think that's where he initially started his career.
Speaker 3: Good player.
Speaker 2: If you play against Alabama, you're gonna know who he is. But he's not a He's not a star like I mean, he's not somebody that like is recognized maybe to the college basketball diehards, but I know who he is. I mean when I think of Alabama being a really good team this year, he's actually the first name that comes to mind for me. But if he walked in here and he wasn't wearing his Alabama jersey, I might know who he is. And that doesn't mean he's not a star because I don't know who he is. But like Mark Sears, like that does he's not a brand name in college hoops. Hunter Dickinson came in at number three, at number sixteen, it was sixteen percent of the vote. He's a known name. You'd know it, but he's because he's been around forever and he's been dominant as a player. Like his numbers throughout his career very impressive, but he's never won. I mean, he went to Kansas last year and they were good and he was a factor in that. And I'm you know, injuries, as I mentioned, we're a big reason why Kansas kind of fell off. But like, are people bored with him again? That doesn't he's not getting worse as a player, but like they'll be more. Cooper Flag's the new fresh potential NBA superstar that's gonna do a pit stop at Duke for a year, Like people will be more inclined to talk about that than Hunter Dickinson, who's only in college still because he'll never play in the NBA. And then right after him as R. J. Davis at Carolina, which I will admit, if you asked me before the show started today, is R J. Davis still at Carolina? I would have had to think about it and I probably would have leaned no, way, He's still there. Well, he is, and Caleb Love is as well, Kayleb Love is not at Carolina. But those two guys, if you remember, they were the backcourt in that championship, in that final four team that made it all the way to the championship game and lost to Kansas, and yet they're still in college three four years later, Like it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Was that three years later?
Speaker 2: I think it is three years ago now, and I thought those guys were like juniors then. And then the next guys that received votes but you know, didn't get many, John I. Broome at Auburn former Morehead State Eagle, and then Ryan Kalchbrenner at Creighton, who was a big surprise that it was a surprise that he actually came back to school and is a good player. So again, the other names that are being thrown out there by coaches make me even more confident that Cooper Fly is going to be the face of college hoops this season. Now Duke stinks, that's a different story. But if they're good, you know, top tenish all year, which they could be, and that wouldn't be a shocker. I think it's going to be the season of Cooper Flag, which will annoy a lot of people because, you know what, he's a white guy that plays at Duke, and that is just something that people instantly hate.
Speaker 3: But I like this guy.
Speaker 2: I think he I mean, for some reason, I think it's really cool that he's from Maine. Did you know that he's from Oh yeah, he is from Newport, Maine. And he actually, instead of you know, going and joining one of the big time AAU teams out there on the eyb L circuit, he just said he you know, he you know, because he's that big of a star, he actually had Nike create a Maine like his His AAU guys like just became an eybl team with with a Nike circuit. So he did end up leaving Maine to go play at mon verd academy. But he's he's he's a main kid.
Speaker 4: Hopefully he breaks the spell of you know, the white, the white, not white trash, but you know, the typical duke white player. I had to sit there and think about that for a secon. I'm like, hold on, don't say that.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't label any of them as like what I think is stereotypical white trash other than like, you know, it's the typical duke white prince maybe Cherokee parks back in the day. But yeah, other than that, like you know, the white, like the dukie, Like when you when I say somebody is a dukie talking about duke basketball, I'm talking about the annoying, arrogant white dudes who you just assume are privileged jerks.
Speaker 3: The opposite of one. Yeah, he's he's the opposite of that. All right.
Speaker 2: One more from the coaches the Candid Coaches series here, and they'll have more, I believe. I think they usually do about ten different features here. But this was college basketball coaches being asked the best high major coaching hire of twenty twenty four, and a blowaway winner here forty three point four percent of the votes. Second place only got twenty one point seven percent. It was John Caliperiot Arkansas, and I I mean, you can't really, I mean, I could understand why somebody wouldn't say that that's the best hire, but I also can't at all tell anybody who claims it's the best hire that it's wrong, because again, you just hired a coach who won a national championship. There's not many of those guys active right now in the sport. And even though he's had some tournament failures, he still recruits at a really high level, and his teams during the regular season are usually still very, very good. So it's just a situation where again, as everybody knows that run it that had run its course, and it just they needed something new and Cali Perry could sense that, so he took advantage of Arkansas opening up because Musselman left, so not a surprise. Now with that, there's so much more, there's so much higher expectation for cal right away than any of these other guys. But Dusty May came in at number two. We'll see how that works out.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm ready for Dusty May to fail me too.
Speaker 2: And it's and it's mean he seems like a nice guy, yes, but like to me, he became the ultimate example of like what are you all talking about? Like he went to a Final four, and yes, Final Force can be random, but what else about him would make you think he's gonna be this superstar. He comes from a terrible coaching tree. He wasn't good at FAU, and that's when people would make you believe that. You know, before Dusty may Fau, you know they only let they actually let Fau play with seven guys on the court going up against the team with five, because that's how bad they sucked. Like pre Dusty may Fau, they can only recruit guys that never have ever picked up a basketball. Like it was just such an exagger and I guess it pissed me off because it was Louisville fans acting as if we're about to go get John Wooden and I'm like, look, he might work out. I'm gonna support whoever it is, but like, spare me, this guy is not even close to being the best guy you could get. Number three, Mark Pope at Kentucky, number four, Pat Kelsey at Louisville, number five, Kevin Young at BYU, and then Kyle Smith at Stanford got some boats as well, So you know who I'm surprised didn't get mentioned that was gonna be our coach who I forgot his name.
Speaker 3: That's how forgetable we thought, Dusty May.
Speaker 4: It was supposed to be your coats.
Speaker 2: If you remember, there was another guy too that had already taken another job.
Speaker 4: Wasn't Jerome Tang right now?
Speaker 3: No shirts? Shirts? Oh yeah, Josh shirt yeah, forgettable to see, right?
Speaker 2: I mean, so yeah, he uh, I mean maybe he does great at Saint Louis and people really love that guy. But you know that was the next man up from an I understand, and I'm happy as hell it didn't work out, because you know, I'm as guilty as anybody as being underwhelmed when you heard that it was gonna be Pat Kelsey just because it's not a name anybody really thought was a serious guy to get the job, because you know, it's Louisville. But I was on record many times saying, if it comes down to Josh Shirts or Dusty May, give me Pat Kelsey. So I'm happy it worked out that way. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side and uh take you up till six o'clock Wish me luck at the at the Bats game for the first pitch, fingers crossed