Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Mark Thompson Here, it is Sunday.
Speaker 3: It feels kind of like almost tropical ot It's got like a humidity to it. The mugginess is something that I remark on only because we're not super used to it.
Speaker 2: But it's a big day all across the board.
Speaker 3: A lot of sports going on today, as you know, and it is Pride Day. And even if you're not participating in Pride activities, you are affected by Pride activities because they've blocked off a bunch of streets in West Hollywood, streets in LA and that's going on through the afternoon. So we'll keep you posted on all the different ways in which you can get from here to there because they have been modified because of the huge parades and the huge events around Pride going on all around the city. I just got back from Alaska, and I will tell you that it is something you already know, probably a terrific place to visit. I mean, even if you haven't visited there, you've seen pictures. You've seen pictures of the whales, the eagles, the glaciers. It's just a terrific thing to put on your list, and to whatever extent you can adventure into the various stops along the way. You know, one of the ways in which you can see Alaska, of course, is on a cruise ship and some kind of boating vessel can get you from here to there, because it's just hard to of course, very hard to drive it, and flying it can be a challenge as well. So the nice thing is that when you go out on any of these excursions, which we did, you experience some of this amazing wondrous wildlife and I I include the trees and the fauna and all of that. You walk through it, and it's just that the areas in which all of these different things thrive, it's just green and changing, and particularly now as the snows and ice fields melt away and retreat, you are left with a different window on nature. And now you have more in the way of whales and eagles and bears and salmon because the salmon run now, of course, with the melting of the snow and rivers and streams becoming elevated, becoming fed by all of that, the salmon uses those increasing waterways to swim and spawn, and you end up with all of the predators who depend on the salmon for survival.
Speaker 2: Those are the bears, those are the eagles, etc.
Speaker 3: And so I'm just saying, the whole place comes to life, and I recommend it for all Americans. It's crazy way we ended up in Alaska, you know, I mean, just I'm talking about Americans owning Alaska.
Speaker 2: It was Russian.
Speaker 3: The Russians owned Alaska, as you know, and they literally pounded the only resource they felt Alaska was good for, which was sea otters. They pounded that out of Alaska. They literally hunted every last sea otter in Alaska.
Speaker 2: And it's an amazing thing.
Speaker 3: It's the thing that we've done as humans, you know, across any number of species. But the Russians did it when they had Alaska as part of Russia. They were hunting the seattters for pelts. I mean, that was the big thing. You know, you saw those guys in those old pictures. They're walking around with shoulders full of you know, fur, of dead animals who were full of Furrussians literally hunted sea otters to extinction. There were no more in Alaska, effectively none. So the Russians all of a sudden felt like, well we don't see a lot more here.
Speaker 2: Really that was their position.
Speaker 3: It was, I don't know, we got like the best thing here that you can get. And so when the Americans came along, the offer on the table looked good to the Russians, and they sold Alaska this is you're probably aware, for seven million bucks. So we see the Americans, we acquire Alaska for seven million dollars, and what do we find So soon after that sale, what do we find there? Gold and gold, minerals, oil, all of that, not to mention timber, all of it has been exploited through the years, and you've seen an increase and a decrease in these minor towns across Alaska. They're still there, A lot of them are set up for tourists, you know, but there's still a sense of what existed. And so the Alaskan history, and I'm leaving out the Native peoples, I mean the native people. They still are there in Alaska, albeit having been bumped out by a lot of development by you know, essentially bumped out all the way by a lot of development.
Speaker 2: But there are still.
Speaker 3: I guess I would call it monuments to the Native peoples, and they participate in the maintaining and also the increasing of the awareness of the Native people's history. So if you go there as a tourist, you see this everywhere and it's very much a part of the landscape of Alaska.
Speaker 2: Now I recommend it.
Speaker 3: We had a great, great time and as I say, if you have it in you to you know, jumping rubber raft, which is what we did, and there were just six of us in this raft and we went. It was a very cold day, but wow, what a wondrous experience to be out there in it, you know. And as I say, it's only getting in the next month or so, even more crowded with wildlife because of the salmon. So I got back then from Alaska, just got back and I attended the birthday party. And this is something maybe you can relate to. I'm you know, when I relate a story to you, I always think we can somebody else relate to this, Like it's not I hope it's not too you know, self indulgent to relate this story, but maybe you'll be able to relate to this. I went to this seventieth birthday party of a dear friend of mine, very talented, a comic named Bobby Slayton. So I was. I was in Beverly Hills getting my hair darkened for it. You know, they get rid of what the gray hair. There's not a lot of gray hair. Everybody, Okay, settle down, but it's a little bit. Although the colorist is I guess she's called. Said to me, Mark, would you like a maybe we leave a little bit of gray in? Would you like us to do that just to you can have it? I said, I never want to hear you say that ever again. If it's an open casket at my funeral, I want you to make sure the hair is dark. I want to be and I am the aging guy with the hair that's too dark for him. Anyway, that was in Beverly Hills. Now the way back to the car, I pass this store called Club Monaco. It's kind of one of these bougie stores that's on the corner, I want to say it like Brighton and Beverly. And in the window is a suit, kind of a linen suit. And I thought I can wear this suit to Bobby's birthday. So I go in. I try the suit on and it really looks good, you know, and I don't normally I'm not out there buying suits all the time.
Speaker 2: You know, this is like I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought, I want to try to look good seventieth birthday sit down dinner. I mean, you know, so I do the whole thing quickly. I'm not big into trying on clothes. I just don't like the whole thing. I don't not a good shopper that way. Just let's do it. Does it fit great, Let's buy it. And then I said to the guy, please cut off all of the tags and stuff because I'm gonna wear it to this dinner tonight. And he said, of course, I'm gonna take off the the store detector thing. I said, no, no, no, I mean all the tags please. He said, okay. So I didn't pay any attention to it. He puts the thing in the bag. And you know where this is coming. You know that where this whole thing is ending up. I go to the event. I put on the jacket to the suit, which I have yet to really put on. It was hanging on a hanger in the car. And the first thing I see on the back of the jacket is what the store detection device, the thing you can't get off unless you've got you know, the store detection device remover machine.
Speaker 2: So that's there, and then.
Speaker 3: I see that there are other things that he's left on. I mean, the guy didn't The only thing I asked him to do was take these things off. So I can take off the other stuff before I walk into the party. But I can't take off this store detection machine thing, you know what I'm talking about, the thing that they leave a fixed to every item so that when people walk off, it sets off the alarm. So now I'm really you know, I'm doing that thing where I'm not letting people see like the back of my jacket, because it's so embarrassing. And I vow to go back the next day and plan and I'm I'm really angry about this, but I'm I'm not a shower, and I'm not a you know, it's I'm kind of a but I'm I'm steaming on the inside.
Speaker 2: I go back and the guy isn't there.
Speaker 3: It's a different guy, and I said, Hi, I was there yesterday and I bought this suit, and I'm telling him the whole story, and he says, wow, I'm really sorry to hear that. I can see, you know, I can see that he's left it on there, let me take it off for you, and I said, yeah, I appreciate if you're taking it off for me now. But the event I was talking about, and I indicated to the salesperson that I was going to be going to that event happened last night and it was very embarrassing, and I wondered if you can make some kind of adjustment, I mean store credit or something. I mean, this is really you know And I said, it just like that, and he said, I can see where it would frustrate you. We just don't do that. We don't do any kind of store credit. I said, really, I mean, you know this, this seems like a real screw up. Wouldn't you want to do something if you're the store to make it right, I asked him. He said, yeah, yeah, I'm just not We just don't do it. I mean maybe we should, but we don't. He said, if you want, I'll let you return it, which we also don't do typically, while you guys don't.
Speaker 2: Do a lot. But I said, well, I like the suit.
Speaker 3: I just feel as though you'd want to do something to kind of keep me as a customer. He said, yeah, I don't know. He said, I'll give you an eight hundred number, he said, But to be honest, I don't think they're going to do anything like all right, and that was the end of it. So now my debut appearance of my new linen suit, complete with the store detection device on it, has passed. No store credit, no adjustment. Maybe you can relate to this. Have you been in a situation like that where you go go back You're thinking, Hey, this is a perfectly reasonable thing that I'm asking you to do.
Speaker 2: I'm asking you to make this right. Give me a.
Speaker 3: Twenty dollars, twenty five dollars, fifty dollars something. This is a higher end store. Nothing, it's the new America. It's to screw you America. Anyway, It's great to be back. That's a little something on Alaska and that one store. Be sure that they take off your tags. That's all I would say to you. We have a great show ahead. A best selling author, Bottom of the Hour, The Great Man is the new book from Kira Davis Lori. It's a it's a historical novel. It's set in Los Angeles. That's why I think it'd be so great to talk to her about this today. Matt Nicky and Robin All on the scene. We'll get in tomorrow.
Speaker 4: As we continue, you're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 3: Mark Thompson hanging out Sunday after noon. It's a Pride Day and their Pride activities all around LA. Mostly who for a lot of this stuff West Hollywood rich ties to the LGBTQ community, of course in West Hollywood. One thing I would mention is, I'm seeing some pictures and videos and somebody actually sent me a video of dogs that were taken to the parade. There's nothing wrong with that except for the fact that a there might be noise that might affect them in some way I don't know. But more to the point, as the temperature is kind of warm, make sure that there is water along the route. The complaint from the person who sent me the video was you can tell these dogs are thirsty, you know, tongues out, breathing heavily, and there's no provision that they can see for them to be able to rehydrate to get water. So that is what's happening in Pride Land. But with that one warning that if you're going, please be warned. Doesn't look like there's a lot of water out there, of course along the parade route, and it would be cool if you could provide some water for your animal.
Speaker 2: And speaking of that, the.
Speaker 3: Piece that ran in the La Times was really really troubling, and there's.
Speaker 2: Even a.
Speaker 3: Video out of Coasta Mesa showing a volunteer at a pet rescue dragging a dog on the street in Coasta Mesa. The dog walker is dragging this limp dog on a leash in front of the Priceless Pets No Kill Pet Rescue. The Coasta Mesa police de barment was reported reportedly contacted Priceless Pets that they're looking into it and they are quote taking immediate action, but the statement goes on, this is not who we are, this is not the standard of care that we stand for, and the volunteer apparently has been dismissed from the rescue. The piece that I was talking about the La Times, though, is about the shelter in LA and the animal shelters in LA that are controlled by someone who's just left. Stacy Danes about a month into her job overseeing the La City animal shelters, an employee apparently defied her. In the first month, she asked the employee to clean a kennel, and instead the employee picked up a hose and sprayed a dog in the face, according to Stacey Danes. Danes thought that the employee should be fired, but the city's personnel department recommended five days of leave. Now Mayor Karen Bass hired Stacy Danes in June twenty twenty three, promising to make La a national model for animal welfare. I mean, there have been problems around the La animal shelter system. Dogs live in these overcrowded, dirty kennels. Volunteers have been complaining animals sometimes don't get food and water. Dogs and cats are suffering, and they're suffering more as staffing issues reemerge. But this interview with Stacy Dames in the La Times, she says she felt powerless to solve these entrenched problems that include severe understaffing, employees who mistreat or neglect animals completely. She said she was repeatedly told by the personnel department, which functions kind of like a human resources department, that she couldn't fire employees. She clashed with one of the unions that represents shelter employees. She even reached out to La County prosecutors for help at one point, apparently so as the overcrowding gowers, dogs and cats are euthanized in numbers that just would make your skin crawl more and more, even under her watch, as she was there to reform the whole thing. She's saying, now, we need to tell the unfiltered, unvarnished truth about what is happening in the LA shelters.
Speaker 2: This is her speaking.
Speaker 3: After a little more than a year as Animal Services general manager. She went on paid leave and then she resigned, So she's saying the series the city just simply does not provide enough funding to meet the basic needs of the animals in the six shelters that the city runs, and there have been real problems with money. Right during Karen Bass's first year in office, because of a lot of critical reporting from the La Times and others about conditions in the shelters, the mayor offered an eighteen percent budget increase, less than the fifty six percent increase that Animal Services had asked for, But then her budget proposal lowered in the department's final funding in the following fiscal year, and in passing.
Speaker 2: A budget now.
Speaker 3: With a billion dollar shortfall, Animal Services doesn't get an increase, but doesn't get any cuts. So Stacey Danes again, the former head of these shelters, brought in by Karen Bass. She's held these jobs running shelters in San Jose and Long Beach. She says that the employees are becoming desensitized to the suffering of the animals they witness. A day after day, five hundred dogs have to be handled, cleaning kennels, setting up adoptions, working with the medical team. There's a lot to do, so she's seeing even abuse of the animals, and that's perhaps one of the most disturbing things I read in the piece. She said she witnessed some of her employees terrorizing dogs by banging on their kennels or spraying them with water to move them back. She told employees to stop that behavior, but some said they'd been trained to treat the dogs that way. She wanted to start a schedule the tract when each task was done that had to be done at the shelter, but a union rep said that the information could be used to punish employees and push back on it. And then she dropped that proposal because of the opposition from the union. And then there's gossip and then there's pushback from employees supervisors with sexual relationships with subordinates. I mean, it's so going on and more and more. You just want to see these poor creatures that end up in these shelters treated with some dignity. So she's beaking up. The LA Times shared a lot of her thoughts in today's La Times, and the number of dogs euthanized at city shelters from January through September last year went up. Can you guess how much it went up? Seventy two percent. Seventy two percent more dogs were euthanized at city shelters than with the same period the previous years, and the number of dogs entering the shelters is going up each year, but the number put to death far outpaced the number of dogs entering the shelters. There's no euthanasian policy, and they created a euthanasia policy during Stacy Danes's tenure.
Speaker 2: But as I say, she has resigned.
Speaker 3: It's a full on five alarm fire in the LA.
Speaker 2: Shelter business.
Speaker 3: So the LA Animal Shelters watch this space will give you more as it becomes available, but nothing good is happening in that world. When we come back set in Los Angeles. Her latest. She is a best selling author. Her latest is called The Great Man. Man is spelled m ann. We'll talk about this piece of historical fiction set right here in Los Angeles with the author Kira Davis Lourie. We'll do it next right here.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 3: Mark Thompson here, I'm so excited to have a best selling author in the midst here with a book that takes place in Los Angeles. It's set against the backdrop of Los Angeles. The Library Journal already saying that her nuanced and sympathetic characters and stellar writing are nearly as brilliant as in The Great Gatsby. Wow it is. It's pretty amazing that you got this from Bloomberg. Bloomberg chooses your book as one of the ten best books of the summer. How about it for Kira Davis LORI and The Great Man, which is your new book, Bravo.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Man is spelled m A n N And it's being released. I think is it next week that it's released?
Speaker 5: Tenth? Yeah, right around the corner.
Speaker 3: So tell me about where it's set, because in a part of LA that is sort of very different now than it was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the area is called West Adam Heights and right now there's the Ten Freeways right through it, but that did not that wasn't.
Speaker 5: Always the case.
Speaker 6: So West Adam Heights was Los Angeles' Beverly Hills before we had Beverly Hills.
Speaker 5: So all the la aristocracy lived there. And then the stock market crashed.
Speaker 6: And as the thirties wore on, people discovered it was actually really expensive to keep up your mansion, right, so they had to sell. But the only people who were able to buy at that time were the newly wealthy African Americans. So you had African American oil tycoons, hoteliers, business moguls, and then the Hollywood movie stars and they started buying up these mansions. And Hattie McDaniel was one of the people who lived there, and she would throw these gala parties where her guest list would include Bing Crosby, Clark Gable, Lena Horne, Duke Ellington was her entertainment and right, I mean, so it was extraordinarily Gatsby esque, which is why I took the framework of the Gatsby and said it in this real world.
Speaker 5: That was right here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Apparently it's amazingly successful, this narrative. So this veteran who is your main character, arrives back in nineteen forty five Los Angeles to this area and figuring there'd be a fresh start, this affluent neighborhood that you describe, and then take us through a little bit of what he encounters.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: So, Charlie Trammel, he is he was in World War Two and he's just come back to his home in He came back home to his home in Virginia, in rural Virginia where his family was sharecroppers. But as what just was the case, as with the case in at the end of World War One, black veterans were not treated well, particularly in the South.
Speaker 5: There was a lot of violence and abuse.
Speaker 6: And he decides that's the stock going to work, and he has a cousin who he hasn't seen forever, who's in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: He's like, yeah, come on out here. Lots of opportunity.
Speaker 2: This is good.
Speaker 6: He goes out and discovers it's not just that she's doing okay, she's living the life. Okay, you know, she's coming out. She's got diamonds in her ears. She's driving like the nice car. You know, she's got clothes that look like they were designed just for her. And you know, when he knew her, I mean she left young, but like.
Speaker 5: She's his cousin.
Speaker 6: This was this was a sharecropping family, so he doesn't really know the full trajectory. And she married this guy who's living up in West Adam Heights, which had been nicknamed at that point LA's sugar Hill. So he gets brought into this world from the sharecropping world and as well as the the drama and trauma of World War Two, into this world of black luxury that he didn't know existed. And he's seeing, you know again movie stars. And one of the things really interesting for him with the black movie stars is, like a lot of African Americans of that period, there was a lot of mixed feelings about their black movie stars because they were taking these roles that were really stereotypic, typical, and frequently demeaning.
Speaker 3: Sure, the servant the exact yeah, of course.
Speaker 6: Right, you know, they were the they were there to be subservient and the butther of the joke, you know. And then he meets these people and they're the they's so the dichonag between them and the characters they play is gigantic, right, I mean, as he meets Louise Beaver's who was a huge star at the time, less known now by the time, she was as big as Hattie McDaniel, and she played roles that, you know, these plaintive roles of you know, these the the servant, the main occasionally occasionally the slave, right you know, And and she in reality she was.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 5: She has a three story house.
Speaker 6: She's you know, makes a point like, I don't touch the kitchen. That's not my job. My husband's gonna have to do that. She smokes cigars, She has poker games every Sunday up on the third floor, right, you know, I mean, she loves being first row at the boxing Max. And he says, it's like it's the same She has the same voice and the same face, but a completely different spine than what I've seen on the screen.
Speaker 3: So it's he's just so he can't like he's trying to reconcile these these two.
Speaker 5: Worlds exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: And what's really one of the things I found so compelling about that that community is Charlie was not again, he was not alone in having mixed feelings about the celebrities, the black celebrities. In fact, the black business elite generally speaking, really resented.
Speaker 5: The black celebrities because they felt.
Speaker 6: They were undermining their own social progress, that these images that we were seeing on the screen were demeaning the entire race, and there wasn't a lot of sympathy for the position that.
Speaker 5: These actors were in.
Speaker 6: They were genuinely trying to open doors, right, but the opportunities weren't there for better roles. And for instance, when they did get better roles, those roles were frequently thanks to the Hayes Office, which was a censorship office, the parts that showed them, that showed their agency were taken out like that was not acceptable. And so even when they accepted roles that they thought, oh, this is the role where I get to show my strength, then it's literally in a movie that Louisse Beaver's was in Imitation of Life. Someone from the Hayes Office wrote and said, looking at this script, it would appear you don't seem to see how these the black servants don't want more than being a black servant, that they want to be independent. Surely I know that you must be wanting to show that they are happy with their place in society, but it's not coming through, so you need to adjust the script right exactly exactly so.
Speaker 5: But there wasn't sympathy for that in the black communities or in the black business elite.
Speaker 2: And that's interesting.
Speaker 3: So even within this affluent world and Black America's flourish in this way, and your main character is coming from this place where he just can't believe all these black people are doing so well. But even within that community there is this conflict. They're the business people and then there's show people.
Speaker 2: The show business.
Speaker 3: Hold that thought. I'm because it's interesting. You have to research all this as a writer, you know, getting the plot, finding your main character that's going to run through this entire world. You have to research that world because it is historically based your novel, right, Yeah, So I want to talk to you a little bit about that, and you know about what La was like it was the mid nineteen forties.
Speaker 5: Right ninety five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to get to again the books called The Great Man, and I do want to mention Kira if you want to meet her. There is a series of upcoming events June tenth, at Romans in Pasadena.
Speaker 2: They always have great events there. They just do such great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, June eleventh Diesel a bookstore Santa Monica, another great spot. And then June nineteenth Chevaliet Books in Los Angeles. Again the tenth, the eleventh, and the nineteenth Romans, Diesel and Chevalier's. All that information I think is on your website is it's kid.
Speaker 5: Davis Kiridavisluriy dot com.
Speaker 3: Ciadavislivery dot com. I knew you when you were Kira Davis. Then you married an esteemed director.
Speaker 2: Rod Lurie. He's very creative, also very talented guy.
Speaker 5: He loses a lot of money to you in poker.
Speaker 3: That's that's not the way I usually live it. But it's a lot of creativity under that roof of yours. So that's great. Kira Davis Lourie. We continue the book Is the Great Man and more.
Speaker 4: As we continue, you're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: What's it is a Pride Day.
Speaker 3: The traffic is being reworked and that will continue for the next few hours. We're talking to Kurra Davis LORII. Kira Davis Lourie is a best selling author her latest is The Great Man m A Double n She has, you know, book signing, and I would imagine they'll read probably from the book as well at these events June tenth at Romans and Pasadena, June eleventh at Diesel in Santa Monica, and June nineteenth at Chevaliet's Books. It takes place in the nineteen forties, and again it's historical novel, and this is your first piece of historical fiction, I think, right, it is. Yeah, And so you had to research this period of the mid nineteen forties and this part of LA, this affluent black community made up of, as you suggested, show business performers top of their game and the business elite top of their game. These are real people. This is a real place existed in LA in the mid nineteen forties. Two things, were there things that surprised you? First of all in your research? And also was there stuff in there that you didn't get a chance to include in the book.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, so much of it was surprising. For one thing, you have to think of how people's feelings and their view and the lens they saw Los Angeles through was so different in good and bad ways.
Speaker 5: One of my characters John Alexander Somerville.
Speaker 6: He was the first African American to graduate from USC. He had a dentistry degree and the top of his class and opened up a huge luxury hotel and YadA YadA. But he wrote not a biography, and in it he talks about how Los Angeles, yes there's racial problems, but we're so much more enlightened than the majority of the country. For instance, you don't see the race riots in Los Angeles that you see in other parts of the country, and which was true when he wrote that book.
Speaker 2: But like, but if you can always take around a little bit right.
Speaker 6: Exactly, it's like, oh wow, this is like such a different kind of viewpoint of of what LA is right.
Speaker 3: What was schene by the way, and just in general in California, there's a change of open of an acceptance. I don't know to what extent. That's just sort of a brand that we have in California. How much of it is really true, Yeah, but it's interesting that there was real, his real sense, palpable sense of it back in the mid nineteen forties.
Speaker 6: He was I mean, he well, he was a very he was a very optimistic man, and he definitely saw he saw the opportunity. He felt like if you just talked to people, were reasonable with them, things would progress. And that was frequently his experience. Now, it is also true that Los Angeles, a California in general, but definitely particularly Los Angeles, had a lot of what they called racial covenants. About eighty percent of Los Angeles, the apercent of the homes of Los Angeles had a covenant on them saying that the only people who were allowed to live in those homes were white people. Yeah, and the only and if you were black, the only way that you were allowed to live in the those homes was if you were a servant to white people and so, and that included the homes in West Adam Heights. So there was actually in the book at details there was a lawsuit from the white neighbors who were trying to get these people kicked out of their homes because of the racial covenants on there.
Speaker 2: So wow, Yeah, in battle to their own neighborhoods.
Speaker 6: Exactly, exactly, And that's and it's sort of an interest again talk about economies. You have these people in Minx who are on the verge of being homeless because of people trying to kick them out of their homes. So it's it's based on race and nothing else. And at that time, the racial covenants were considered legal, so it was it was a real battle and that really started to be honest, not with African Americans. It was a push against the Chinese residence of the turn of the twentieth century in California, and then it just sort of moved ethnic group.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: What and what's what?
Speaker 3: What part of this world that your researched in that mid nineteen forties world, in that neighborhood that you described, that's the backdrop for this book, The Great Man? What what would you have liked to include that you couldn't Okay, So.
Speaker 6: The Hattie McDaniel, she was mammy and gone with the wind. They had the premiere in a Georgia Atlanta theater. It was a segregated theater, so she was not allowed to attend the premiere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's so many of those kinds of stories exactly.
Speaker 6: So they had this big premiere and just to put an exclamation point on the whole thing, they brought in a kid's choir that they kind of dressed up in rags and they were it was a black kids choir and they were going to sing and it was supposed to be like the slaves of the plantation South for this white audience and like to entertain them before in that choir. One of the kids in that choir was Martin Luther King Jr.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, what a fact?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: What a fact?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: How did you discover that that was?
Speaker 5: I mean when I was so that's again, it's document.
Speaker 6: When I was researching Hattie McDaniel looking through all the materials of that premiere, I mean, that was in there, and I'm like, but but nobody in nineteen forty five knows who Martin Luther King Jr.
Speaker 2: Is.
Speaker 5: I can't include it. I can't include it.
Speaker 6: It's like, so it doesn't But but how much did I want to?
Speaker 2: Right? Somehow?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 3: That's so true though, when you immerse yourself in a time period, you can't just jump out and go, hey, by the way.
Speaker 6: Right, it's nice j MLK and the yeah, and they're going to be like, I'm sorry who So yeah, it's and there was so much like that, and it was really it was really a challenge for me choosing what to include and what just was ended up sounding like a lecture.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like I want you need to just be entertainment and so but there was like all of this extra stuff that I learned. I wish I could just sort of pack in there, and you can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. And by the way, you know, it's like there's no but.
Speaker 3: It's got to be a good ride for your reader, That's what I mean. Obviously you're a best selling author. That's what you've been true to and that ride for the reader. The great Man. So your character in the last couple of moments that we have, your character does get into this world and again after military service, and I think falls in with I was just reading about the book I have to get into the book falls into with some not so savory characters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, okay, so I do have a gas b esque character, right, So James quote unquote reaper Man, right, Reaper is his mo like her that nobody uses to his face, right, and it's he clearly has extraordinary wealth. He is like Hattie throwing huge gala events, except even bigger.
Speaker 5: The neighborhood.
Speaker 6: Both the business moguls and the Hollywood elite are a little nervous about this guy, because they don't really know where he came from or where his money came from. And they're already battling for their homes, so they don't really need any extra controversy that he may be bringing in. But Charlie is really drawn to him, and he's very kind to Charlie, and the parties are amazing, and so he sort of gets wrapped up in his world too, of.
Speaker 5: Just a little bit of like.
Speaker 6: Mystery, the hint of maybe something nefarious, but you don't really know, right And and of course, as in Gatsby, it turns out that he is truly in love with Charlie's cousin, who the one who brought him out.
Speaker 5: So that's yeah, so so yeah.
Speaker 6: So you know we got and she is married, so you know, there's the love triangle, there's like the who is this guy? And there is also the clash of the two communities and the court case and everything going on.
Speaker 3: Oh that's terrific. There sounds like there's so much in this book. The great Man Kira Davis LORII, Hey listen again. I encourage you to meet Kira and participate in one of three events. June tenth at Romans, They do great stuff in Pasadena. You can meet Kira, she'll sign your book.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that's at seven, by the way, seven pm, so come after work.
Speaker 3: Oh great, Okay, good, it's a nice evening event June eleventh at Diesel a bookstore that's at sixth that's at six in Santa Monica and Chevalier's Books in LA on the nineteenth.
Speaker 2: What time is that?
Speaker 5: Six six thirty? I think six thirty.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, you can check the website. Kira is k y R Kira Davis, l u r E. Kiradavisluri dot com has all the information again Romans, Diesel and Chevalier's The book is out June tenth, The Great Man. It takes place right here in La. There's a Hollywood connection and La as most of us had not seen it, I mean in the mid nineteen forties. You know, I've learned more about La in the nineteen forties in this conversation with you than I ever knew. So you're so cool to stop to the studio.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: Give my best to your your husband. I absolutely it was also a very talented guy filmmaker. I hope his next work comes out soon and we can talk to him as well.
Speaker 5: It's going to be amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks Kira.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we have everything on the docket and it includes and this is something we're going to want your input on, a pet bereavement counselor you know this is true. There's a new book out about essentially getting you through the pain, the literal pain you can feel emotionally when you lose a pet, a companion animal, And we'll talk a little bit about that and with her about her new book.
Speaker 2: That'll be at the bottom of the next hour.
Speaker 3: Also, it's goodbye to Inside the NBA their last night. We'll play the mic Drop moment for you next
Speaker 1: KFI AM six forty on demand