Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bubo.
Speaker 2: These guys are your favorites, so like to say subscribe and rade it five.
Speaker 1: Stary and.
Speaker 3: Greatest on us today, listening watching lim always keep its watching.
Speaker 1: And now you're hosts Cliff Barrickman and James booble Fay.
Speaker 2: Hey Bobs, what's happening Man?
Speaker 4: How much? How's it going?
Speaker 2: It's going all right. Too busy as usual, but a lot of busy things, you know, keep me out of trouble, I suppose. So we got a great episode today with two guests, so we don't have spend too long on introductions here, but I do have a few things to catch up with, just a few very very brief things. Number one, you know it's graduation season. I'm obviously a huge advocate of education in any form, whether it's at school or trade school or anything like that. As long as you're bettering yourself and reading books, you don't you have to do it in school. You have to just read books and read magazines and read whatever you can educate yourself. And so I want to give a big thumbs up to all the graduates right now because I know this is the time of year but one in particular wrote me a nice letter. A guy named Zach. He's a listener, Zach Powers. He's down in Phloemouth in Oregon here, and he grew up watching us bobes. He said, he came up, he came to the Bigfoot Museum. He grew up on finding Bigfoot. And of course we're old men now, so all the kids who grew up on finding Bigfoot are now graduating. But anyway, I wanted to give a congratulations to Zach Powers and all the other graduates out there. Keep going, keep going. Never stop learning. Doesn't have to be in school. Just never ever, ever, ever stop learning, and you'll live a very, very fulfilled life in my opinion. There there had a visitor at the museum this week, the lovely and talented Monique Powell from Save Ferris at SKA Ben in southern California. You remember Mo, don't you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she came by. She was She did a gig at the Hawthorne Theater this past week, and so she came by the shop. And of course I love me some Mo. You know, we've been good, good, good friends for decades. She was actually I was in her first band, the band remembered Larry, did you ever? I didn't. I didn't even know you when I was playing in Larry though.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Pretty good band though, if you asked me. Kind of Zappa esque and stuff. Yeah, So Monique came by the shop. So she, uh, she enjoyed herself and had a great show.
Speaker 5: Were you guys seeing Larry off of Three's company, Larry?
Speaker 2: No, that was just a beneficial side effect. Actually, okay, yeah I was. We actually named it after a drummer in a previous band, a guy named Lawrence. We just love the guy, so we named the band after him. He became a professional musician out in Texas somewhere if I remember right. Yeah, but uh, Monique is a killer vocalist trained in jazz and opera and all this other stuff. And of course she does like a punk ska band and she and she is the centerpiece. You know, she's got pipes, you know, for years, an enormous talent. And then two other things, very very briefly, Number one members, this is only a member thing. Darby or Cut is going to be speaking at the museum. I will be posting something in the member section, and only members of the museum and Bigfoot and beyond are going to be invited. So if you're not a member, maybe you want to become a member. It's a five dollars a month thing. And you get special invites to things like Darby or cut speaking at the North American Bigfoot Center. And by the way, there will also be a digital sort of streaming version of that you can watch from anywhere in the country if you're a world for that matter, as long as you have internet. So if you want to learn more about that, go to that link that the levely and talented Matt prove It will post below about becoming a member. But you also get an extra episode every single week, and you also get this very episode you're listening to right now with zero commercials, no commercials at all. So if that's worth five bucks a month for you, check it out. Maybe you want to become a member. It's four extra hours of content, cool stuff that we give to you, like invitations to special events like this and other cool things. And then finally, this coming weekend, I am doing a job in Everett, Washington at the historic Everett Theater. You may have heard of a little radio show called Coast to Coast AM. It used to be an art bell thing now. George Norri is one of the hosts that does it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: George, of course, is doing a live version of his podcast. A lot of podcasts do that. We don't we live in area, different areas and stuff, but a lot of podcasts sort of and radio shows are doing that now, and George Norri is doing one next weekend at the historic Everett Theater in Everett, Washington, right outside of Seattle's like a suburb of Seattle or something, if I remember right, And I'm on the bill. So if you want to come watch a live radio show and I'm going to be one of the guests on there, come on down. I think it's I don't know what time it starts, but we are going to post that in the show notes below, as the lovely and talented Matt Pruitt does every single week for you.
Speaker 1: And that's Saturday, June the twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: That's correct, Yeah, Saturday June to twenty eighth. There you go. Those are all the announcements. Thank you for tolerating me doing all that, and but let's get into the real meat of the situation here. We have two guests on the line today, well, unless you have something, Bobo, anything real fast.
Speaker 4: I want to hear these guys.
Speaker 2: That's what I thought me too. So let's hop into that. We have two guests, two good friends of ours, both of which have been on the podcast before but separately and individually, and now they've come to tag team us. So it's gonna be Mike Mays and Daryl Collier on one team and Cliff and Bobo on the other. It's kind of like Andre the Giant and hul Kogan on Aatana team together. And of course Matt Pru will be the referee. So welcome everybody.
Speaker 4: We're going to get a kill.
Speaker 2: I know, Claubert, Daryl, how you doing, Mike, how you doing today?
Speaker 6: Doing great? Thank you for having me doing great here, Great to be on the show.
Speaker 4: Thanks thanks for coming to board you guys.
Speaker 2: About time we had you back, both of you actually, So let's talk about a little bit about what we talked about last time. We'll still start with Mike. Hey, Mike, how are your books doing.
Speaker 6: They're doing fine, you know, the existing ones. You know that you never sell as many going forward as you do the first year or two that they're out, but they continue to have some legs and do well and working on a new one as we speak.
Speaker 2: Oh, what are you working on?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I guess you guys know. I did a blog for many years called the Texas Scripted Hunter, and the reason I did that was because I have, you know, a lot of interests. Bigfoot is obviously way up there in a priority interest, but you know, I'm interested in a lot of different things, and so as a history teacher, I've become kind of an amateur folklorist as well, and I've heard a lot of really great legends, myths, you know, folklore from the state of Texas and all across the country. And so I'm doing a book. It's going to be titled I Can Hand Monsters, and it's all about these myths and legends, these lesser known cryptids and animals that are rumored to be out there that people are just not nearly as familiar with once you get outside the Holy Trinity of the Yetti, Bigfoot and the Lockness Monster. Uh, these are not as well known. A lot of them are more regional in nature, but they're just fantastic stories. And going to try to call some attention to those. Talk about dog Brown, No, that's that's a little too mainstream. I've really tried to target things that I you know, because I'll you know, I'm not the first one to do a book on it.
Speaker 4: I just got to say, that's really great that not as dog Broun.
Speaker 2: You think it's I'm disappointed personally.
Speaker 6: Well, I have other thoughts about it, but but yeah, I really tried to zero in on things that have been touched on very little, if at all, by others, that people might not have heard of at all before.
Speaker 2: Well give us an example, like, is this some sort of like three eyed snellygaster thing or what do you? What do you what? Were some of the highlights as far as cryptids go in this new book.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, Darryl and I just got back from New Mexico, and one of the stories has to do with an alleged turtle giant turtle monster that lives at Bottomless Lake State Park. There's a series of sinkhole lakes there, and there's all kinds of stories about that. There's most people haven't heard much about that. The Letice is a legend from the Bayou Country of Louisiana. There's going to be a chapter on something called the Steccini.
Speaker 4: What are they?
Speaker 6: Well, the Stecchini is kind of an owl demon supposedly, so that could, I guess, sort of fall under the Mothman type umbrella. The Letish is sort of your typical humanoid type swamp monster. I do wonder openly in that essay whether or not it could not be connected to the Sasquatch mystery, as a lot of times these things are described as shambling around on two feet covered in moss. Well, maybe the moss is really hair, you know, that kind of thing. I try to offer some possible explanations for a lot of these, Saint John's River Monster, the Grunge road Monster of New Orleans, the melon heads in Connecticut, the Alba Twitch, which is kind of a mini Bigfoot from Pennsylvania, and stuff like that. Just stuff that maybe regionally people are pretty familiar with, but you know, someone in your neck of the woods might not be familiar with a legend or a river or lake monster from Florida or Connecticut or that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: I haven't heard of any of the ones you've mentioned so far, and I thought I was pretty well versed.
Speaker 6: Well, that's encouraging to me because that's kind of the idea, you know, and that's where the title you know, Secondhand Monsters comes from.
Speaker 1: I think it's worth mentioning too that, you know, in case we didn't say it earlier, that Mike's two books. One of them is called shadow Cats The Black Panthers of North America, and the other one, for squatch fans is Valley of the Apes The Search for Sasquatching Area X, which I've seen make a lot of people's like top five, top ten lists of you know, releases that came out within the last few years. A lot of people really loving that book. And so I think we did an episode on each of those books. But this audience for sure should check both of those out. They're both available on Amazon, and I will put the links to those in the show notes.
Speaker 4: They're great, They're really good books.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that, guys. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Just last week I picked up another black cat story. Not that I collect them, but they seem to come to me anyway, from our friend Todd down in the Bluff Creek area, he saw a black you know, it's probably a melanistic mountain lion or whatever, but down in the Bluff Creek area in his research spot, when for sasquatches I've and of course what a disappointment that happened to me too. We're out there looking for sasquatches and we see a black cat. What a bummer. I actually start looking for black cats. Maybe I'll see a bigfoot.
Speaker 1: I got a very detailed black cat siding story from a family member last week, and so I sent him the link to Mike's book on Amazon, and I was like, here's the book on that phenomenon. You should read it. So I'm still singing the praises, preaching the word and sending the links.
Speaker 4: Did you get with the reports of black cats after that book came out? Might be like the black cat gut it out?
Speaker 6: Or not as much as as I originally did when I started. What really started the flood of reports to me was the blog. You know, I had talked about various topics, and then one day I came across a report in the newspaper that someone in the of all places, Plano, Texas, which is a suburb to the northeast of Dallas, had seen a big black panther they called it, and it had crossed this turnpike front of you know, probably dozens of people, But this is who contacted me.
Speaker 4: So this is the story I saw.
Speaker 6: So I just wrote it up and basically stated that, you know, these long tailed black cats black panthers as they're usually called, are not supposed to exist. They're no more real to the scientific community than the sasquatch is. And that got some people really riled up. It's a funny phenomenon that people who will laugh in your face about a sasquatch sighting will fight you if you try to tell them that a black panther isn't real. You know, but there's no such species, and the black cats we see on TV and in the movies are melanistic leopards ninety nine percent of the time. Jaguars can also be melanistic like that, and that's really about it as far as cats that might be over here. The only reason we have leopards, of course, is zoos and the exotic pet trade. But mountain lions are not supposed to have the genetics to be melanistic, and so scientists kind of dismiss that as a possibility.
Speaker 4: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 5: On a side note is that they just announced there's eight now jaguars in Arizona.
Speaker 6: That's really cool. I'm hoping that one of them's a female because that's really the that'll be the key as to whether they make a comeback in the lower forty eight. Because males will venture far and wide trying to establish their own territories, start their own families and so forth. Females stay much closer to home. So if they do manage to get a picture or establish that there's a female up there, that's really going to be the beginning of the actual comeback. And to my knowledge, that hasn't happened yet. They've all been males, but I'm hopeful that one of them will turn out to be a female.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bow. We'll be right back after these messages. So three to six months doesn't seem like a long time right in bigfoot Land. It's not very long because we've been looking for sasquatches for decades and decades and decades. But when you think about what can happen in three to six months, Like, what would you do in three to six months? I'm going to give me six months go squatching squad, of course, of course, And how much do you think is going to get done during that time. In squatching, you're going to see one in six months, probably not, but in three to six months. What you can see if you're not going to see a sasquatch is thicker, fuller hair regrown from Hymns our sponsor. Hymns not bad for just three to six months.
Speaker 5: What if you start using Hymns now in six months, just imagine that thick full crop up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because Hymns will give you a convenient access to a range of hair loss treatments that work, all from the comfort of your couch.
Speaker 4: They make it pretty simple, man. They use real doctors.
Speaker 5: It's clinically proven ingredients on these like finesteride and monoxaville.
Speaker 2: And I love that I had no doctor visits because first of all, doctors who wants to go see a doctor? Nothing personal doctors. But also you make an appointment now you get in August or something forget that. So this process is simple and one online. And I know you have access to the internet because you're listening to us right now.
Speaker 5: You can pick how you want to do it, like chewables, oral spray, serum treatments, whatever, whatever you want. I mean they can work with you in customersage with your preferences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it could be a one time thing, it could be ongoing care. No insurance is needed at all, and it's all at one low price and that covers everything from these treatments to the ongoing care if you so choose.
Speaker 5: Well, nonway, I said, the proofson the pudding, and there's hundreds of thousands of subscribers that trust it and you know, give it positive reviews.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 2: There's your pudding, thick Harry Pudding. Search your free online visit today at hymns dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 5: That's hi ms dot com slash beyond for your personalized hair loss treatment.
Speaker 2: Options hims dot com slash beyond.
Speaker 1: Results vary based on studies of topical and oral monoxidyal and finaster ride. Prescription products required an online consultation with a healthcare provider who will determine if prescription is appropriate. Restrictions apply. See website for full details and important safety information.
Speaker 2: Well, Darryl, you're back there somewhere as well. What have you been up to lately? What's it's been like a year or two two years maybe since you've been on I don't know. My sense of time is so elastic. I can't remember. But you've been out the wood's probably a bunch since then.
Speaker 4: Yes I have. But you know, I'm just sitting here listening to this, enjoying this conversation. This is a fan It's just like I'm in my truck cruising down the road, just listening to another episode of Taking Me On with a great guests and the great hosts and interesting discussion. But yeah, you know, just I've retired almost a year and a half ago from my daytime job. And don't let anybody full Your retirement is just it's it's the best thing. It's like it's like reliving your childhood but you but you have all the experience and the wisdom that comes with the older age. And so just I'm having the time of my life, you know. I just I'm fully engaged. I'm never bored. I have I have so many things that keep me busy, you know, in addition to the continued search for the sasquatch to document that as a legitimate species, and I'm engaged in writing papers and doing lectures and playing music and you know, taking care of my four acre place. And you know, life is great, man.
Speaker 1: It's worth pointing out, since Cliff was singing the praises of education and praising graduates, that you yourself recently graduated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I completed my It took me long enough, but I finally completed my master's degree in history. So you know, I have a master's degree now in history from sam Houston State University, and had some papers. Had one page published in twenty twenty two, got another that's going to be published in the fall in the very prominent journal called The Historian, a paper about slave rebellions. And I've got another right now under peer review on the early Ottoman Empire. So you know, like I said, I stay busy, and back before this, I was working on putting together a lecture. Good times. Man. Just love the like Cliff says, I just love, you know, constantly just enriching my brain and just trying to be the best I can be, you know, spirit, mind and body sort of thing. So yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: You know, I've known Darryl and Mike for a lot of years now, I guess it's been about eight or nine years, and yeah, nine years now, and one thing that drew me there is they're both perpetual students. You know. Not only is Derrel recently graduate, Mike is an educator. I don't know if we've touched on that before, Cliff being a former educator, and I think that's one of our uniting qualities between all of us here, is we're all sort of perpetual students. One of the things we end up discussing a lot is what are you reading lately? And reading recommendations? And when I was writing the book, I reached out to Mike a whole lot and Daryl a whole lot. You know, Mike obviously having authored books, you know, it's a really great resource for me and help me a lot with guidance and things of that nature. But spend a lot of time with these guys in the field. They're in Area X and during my seven years with the NAWAC, which they were part of for a lot of years. But we've continued that trend. Thankfully. I had to bow out of a couple of trips recently for helping out with family issues, but the search continues and I try to get out with these guys as much as possible. I've learned so much from them, and we always have a blast out in the field. I would say, I think we there's equal amounts adventure and learning and laughter, which is my three biggest priorities.
Speaker 4: Oh it's such a rejuvenation, just a regeneration of I know, of my spirit anytime anytime I get out in the wilderness, and particularly when I can go out with you know, with Mikey and Maddie or they're just like brothers or like to talk. They're like my baby brothers, additional baby brothers, and so it's just just you know, have a great time with them. But I've also you know, these guys rubbed off on me because I just I just finished a book, a fiction. I never thought I would write any fiction whatsoever in my life, but I just finished a children's middle graders book. It's a fantasy book, and yeah, it does incorporate the Sasquatch into it pretty prominently. And I've sent that out to a number of publishers and I've had some nibbles and working to get that published, and you know, hopefully somebody will bite on that and take that, and if not, then I will go the self publishing route. But yeah, like I said, I've got plenty to keep me busy. Mikey and I just had a great trip out to New Mexico, the heat and National Forest, which is every bit as remote as people may have heard. It's just it was. It was wonderful. We saw Mikey. Would we see one person in six seven days at our camp site? Did we see anybody at camp?
Speaker 6: Well, we didn't actually see anybody come by the campsite. We were out on a hike and we saw one guy, but that was probably a mile and a half from our campsite.
Speaker 4: We saw.
Speaker 6: We didn't see another human being. It was as it was as if we had a mountain to ourselves. It was just glorious. Man, it was so great. And we didn't see the amount of wildlife we'd hoped to see. We saw a lot of sign but the stuff is out there. It's We were actually following up on a siding of one of the guests you've had on this show, and that was mister Aguilara's siding, and we managed to ultimately find the siding location. And not that we ever doubted anything the gentleman said, but we were able to corroborate pretty much everything he said to you guys on the show. Found the siding location. Everything was as he said. I think the only thing he might have undersold a little bit is how difficult it was to get to that location where he actually saw the animal. It was. It was quite an an odyssey, to say the least. It took us, what, Darryl, was it the fourth day we finally found it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the fourth day. And you know, we had intended to actually go to that site and make camp right there, very very close to it, but just we had some we had some difficulties on the chloride trail I had. I had a truck tint a top or tent and the rack. The trail was so rough when we're on it for about four hours. Just like he said, it took us a while, and it just beat the heck out of my rack. It snapped the rack, and it was not a cheap rack, but it just eventually just beat it to the whole tent collapsed and started bashing against my back windshields. So we had to we had to make a camp away from the site, and then we finally made our way over to it several days later. But I think it may be more difficult now, Mikey, because we found that I think since he went there, since his siding, I think part of the the egress route has been shut down by one of the private landowners out there. You can't get through those gates. Now you have to go you have to turn Amund and go all the way back out. And so that was that added to the difficulty. But one thing we found Cliff and Bobo is that there are a number of stations around there that have salt licks and molasses barrels. And where he saw this thing is let not even it may be three hundred meters from where he saw this thing. There's a station there of molasses and a salt lick. And then you go another quarter not even quarter mile, maybe two tenths of a mile, there's another station. Then you go a little bit further there's another station. So there's maybe a half dozen of those stations around there.
Speaker 5: Did you guys, did you guys have to talk to any of the name because I looked at that area pretty extensively on Google Earth, did you talk to you those ranches that were nearby?
Speaker 1: And just for the listeners real quick, the case we're talking about was the episode that we titled Face to Face in the HeLa Mountains where the gentleman Irving and his son saw the sasquatch at close range, like right next to their vehicle on the road. I recently re released that as a classic episode on May thirtieth, so go back and listen if you haven't heard that yet.
Speaker 6: We did speak to a rancher. It was a lady we came across. She had her two kids with her. She was about to move some cows from one pasture to another. And as far as she was very friendly. She turns out she was from Texas, a town that's probably an hour from where I live in Temple.
Speaker 2: And you know, she was great.
Speaker 4: She visited with us.
Speaker 6: She had not been there very long, I think, she said, Darryl, correct me if I'm wrong, only about six months maybe, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that's right. She was very friendly.
Speaker 6: Though, Yeah, and so she had not heard of any of the sighting. She had not heard of any anyone seen anything along the lines of a sasquatch out there. But she did admit to having not been there very long. She didn't seem to dismiss it out of hand or anything. She just was very matter of fact. No, I haven't heard anything like that, but added, I haven't been here very long. She did give us kind of a warning as far as one of the ranchers in the area where which we are pretty sure this is one of the gates that the gentleman when he left the area after seeing this sasquatch, that he went through gates and onto this gentleman's property. And we're a guessing. We feel like we found those gates, but they're now chained up and locked up. But she warned us he was not a guy that you wanted to upset and be caught out on his property without permission. It was very yellowstone like kind of stuff, you know, And so you know, she gave us some nice heads up on that, and we're pretty sure that he exited those gates and came out on that property. And we wondered and discussed if maybe there had been some others after hearing the episode that went out that way and maybe repeated his route, and maybe this gentleman, this rancher got tired of people coming to his property and that's why those gates are all chained up now.
Speaker 7: Oh, but that's a pretty good guess because the money maker was promoting that, you know, for people to get out there, and it was all over the BFRO website and our podcast, and it was on other podcast.
Speaker 4: I'm sure some people got out there. Guys. We sort of made an assessment of the area in terms of habitat factor for the Sasquatch, and so while there are some really really good things going for the area, there's maybe a couple of things that really aren't to its favor. But we don't really have any doubt that the witness saw what he says he saw. We have We really don't have any doubt about that whatsoever. But it's very very dry. Even so we were there, we were not at the site. We were about ten miles as the Sasquatch walks from the site. That's just based on circumstances. It's where we had to make our camp. But we, like I said, like we said, we managed to get over there to the site and it's not really much different from where we were. It's a little bit lower in elevation, but the area is extremely dry, and so it sort of works outside the normal areas where we think that the Sasquatch, you know, might reside. But but there's there are a very few people and it's extremely remote. We did see we did find abundant sign of wadoff. We found black bear scat just down from our camp. We found mountain lion tracks about a half mile from our camp. We found kywity tracks. We saw two Mexican gray wolves. We saw plenty of mule deer. We saw plenty of elk, We saw plenty of pronghorn. We saw jack rabbits, we saw gray squirrels, ground squirrels, tons of different bird species. So it's really robust in terms of wildlife. But it's you know, it's extremely dry, but all those all those animals seem to seem to do really well there, you know. But it's a wonderful place. I mean it's just in the sky at night where we were eight thousand feet up, it's just the most beautiful sky I've ever seen. We saw the International Space Station go over twice, which is which is really cool that man would have vivid night sky, just beautiful love New Mexico.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a wonderful area. And you know, that dry, the dry conditions like that were sasquatches are found. In some ways, it makes it easier to find the sasquatches. We rent into the same situation when we did the on Finding Bigfoot when we filmed in South Dakota. We're on the Pine Ridge Reservation and gosh ba, but what was it like one hundred and ten degrees day or something. It was so ridiculous, it was terrible. It was whatever it was, it was terrible, right, And of course we spent a lot. And that's one of the last places you'd expect sasquatches to be because it's kind of rolling planes with sparse trees. But what we found is that most of the sasquatch reports, at least that time of year, they're down there, obviously down the river beds, but they're they're walking over the flat plains at night, going from one ravine to another. And that's when a lot of the people see the Sasquatches on their properties, when they're walking alone at night going to the next place. But when it came to us finding the sasquatches, and we did, we did. We found that was a yellow Bear reservoir or something like that, I think if I remember right, But that was one of the only places for miles and miles and miles and miles that actually had water at that time. Of year, So it's kind of like where there's limited resources, well then you know where to focus your efforts at least, So that's a benefit in some ways to habitat like New Back Ago where it's high and dry and super arid and kind of warm. Maybe sometimes it concentrates the resources and therefore concentrates the animals as well.
Speaker 6: And I believe, I believe you're absolutely right, and I think I want to stress again, one of the reasons we felt like the animal was in the area did have to do with those stations for lack of a better term, with the salt licks and this mineral molasses kind of mix, but they were also water stations, and as far as so, there was water present as well.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 6: There's one fairly substantial private lake and it happens to be on the ranchers property that we were kind of worn to stay away from in the area. But other than that, we saw lots of just completely dry ponds. You could tell where when it rains they'll fill up, but they were all just dry as a bone. With that exception, it was much larger than any of the others. But these mineral stations, these salt lick stations, water stations that are around for the livestock. We discussed whether or not the sasquatch that was there, whether it was actually maybe partaking the molasses type material there or the salt or I'm sure it was helping itself to the water. But it would also be the perfect ambush spot because any ungulates in the area are going to visit those stations, and they were positioned in such a way that had we wanted to, we could have just kind of gone up the hill a little bit into the brush and sat and watched and seen any thing and everything that came to those stations. And so I don't know about long term survival on that kind of thing, but certainly little sweet treat come down in the evenings to get or to get water. I think it's very feasible that that could have been going on. We actually years ago, Darryl and I investigated a report in a little outside of a little town called Dawson, Texas. And Daryl, what's the reservoir that's right there the lake?
Speaker 4: Well, all that I recall is just the Trinity River.
Speaker 6: Now there's a reservoir there. Anyway, the lady had come out to go to work early one morning, but they had land, and they had livestock, and they had set up a big barrel with this molasses and minerals, and it was this concoction just a high caloric lots of minerals for the cattle, fatten them up, keep them healthy. And the owner came out and spotted a sasquatch crossing the field from the direction of that station, and mentioned that this stuff was disappearing at a higher rate than usual, and kind of theorized that this thing was coming in there and helping itself. And so it's certainly possible that that was going on. But again also just a perfect ambush spot if for anyone or anything that's hunting mule deer or elk or for that matter, you know, take a take a bit of livestock from time to time, because they're all going to show up there at some point.
Speaker 4: And I'll just add that all those areas in New Mexico, those national forests, its elevated national forests, they all have a history of reported encounters. It's just that there's very few people in New Mexico, So you have to have people to encounter the sasquatch just to report them. So it may be in each of those areas, it may be a you know, a significant number of the animals there is so remote, there's so few people that actually visit those places that you know, and their creatures are so elusive, that they just may have a population there that this is largely undetected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's certainly more than enough land in New Mexico for these things, that's for sure. And you know, one of the things that intrigues me, I guess we know they're in New Mexico, right, that all these sky islands and these these highlands highlands that kind of pop out of the desert floor, they fully extend into Mexico proper, you know. So there are sasquatches in northern Mexico at least, and I'm confident they're in southern Mexico as well. I've personally spoken in Spanish to two witnesses who had seen these things down to the jungles. But you hear almost nothing at all from Northern Mexico. And it's maybe it's because of you know, they just don't have the time to look into it, because here in America we're blessed with leisure time. Basically, you know, there's enough we're not you know, scrambling for, you know, to make sure that our family can eat all the time and stuff. For most of us are have a little bit of leisure time to enjoy ourselves. And that's where the bigfoot thing comes in. And maybe that's not the case in some of those places in rural Mexico. Maybe there they don't care, maybe they don't notice, maybe there's some superstition involved or whatever. I personally think that a lot of the Sasquatch vocalizations in Mexico and even in southern United States as well, the vocalizations are probably attributed to La Orana, like the crying woman and who goes through the arroyos at night, you know, yelling for her drowned children, you know, crying and screaming. I think a lot of that is cats a various ways, you know, like bobcats and cougars and whatever else, and sasquatches. I think a lot of the noises are attributed to her, the folkloric, you know, mythological woman. But it's astonishing me that we don't hear more out of Mexico in that sort of way, you know, But I guess no one's really looking, well.
Speaker 4: Does that? Is there a possibility that perhaps those areas where where these these things are in those parts of Mexico, maybe they're more remote and the people are less connected, if you will, to you know, the people like you and us, people who actually look into this phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I would certainly think that's true. I would certainly think that's true.
Speaker 6: To address your other point about Mexico, this doesn't have to do with Mexico proper, but rather Central and South America with sasquatch type creatures I had mentioned, you know the book I'm working on some of the lesser known myths and legends out there regarding cryptids. One of the sections in it is called the Eight Men of South America. And so there's a strong history of bipedal heres to very large, smelly, screaming type animals in Central and South America. There's the d d, the Mono Grande, the map Bengueri and I'm sure I'm butchering accent and goes on and on.
Speaker 2: The Yukamar, the Achi.
Speaker 6: These are some names that describe Basically, what we would all say is a is a bigfoot and these are strong folklore legends and stories down there that are still you know, these animals are still seen. I won't say routinely, but they're still seen today. And so if I'm with Cliff and they're all I'm with you. As far as you know, I don't see how they would be in North America, in the lower forty eight of the United States and then disappear throughout all of Mexico and then just reappear in Central and South America. So they're up in there somewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, political boundaries mean nothing to Allah, Yeah.
Speaker 6: But they're you know that Chihuahuan Desert is no joke, and that's a pretty inhospitable area, and that could have something to do with the two. But as you pointed out, you know, to have a sighting, you got to have the animal, but you also have to have people. So that maybe I would I think some sociology research might be in order as far as you know, what's the population in the northwestern Mexico. There just may not be very many folks at all. That could be a big part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was really curious you know too. We had conversations a bit about it, but the habitat differences because you guys spent so much time in Area X, which is eastern deciduous forest, and Mike's come to southern Appalachia with me a few years ago, and then Darryl came out last year with me to southern Appalachia, and then I took him to an area of the Cumberland Plateau, which is still part of the Appalachian Uplift, but nonetheless is all eastern deciduous forest. And for those of us that spend a lot of time and places like that, we see the differences between southeast Oklahoma, southern Kentucky, northeast Georgia, but by and large it's the same flora and fauna. Maybe a little bit different geology, but obviously the HeLa Mountains are so very different than what we're all used to. You know how that struck you? Did you change your tax in the field, did you try some of the same old tricks, or was it more like where do we go?
Speaker 6: Well, a lot of our time was just eating up with trying to find that sighting location. We were determined or maybe stubborn, hardhead. It's a better way to put it, to find that. But as far as addressing your point, you can kind of equate it to the cattle ranching in East Texas where I'm from, versus the ranching that's going on out there in New Mexico where I'm from, where we get literally six feet six feet of rain a year down close to the coast and in the piny woods, versus what they're doing in New Mexico. You're raising cattle. In East Texas, you can run between three and five cattle per acre probably and there's plenty for all of them to graze and get nice and fat. In New Mexico you might need two acres per cow. And that's one thing we learned. These ranches out there are vast, but you're going to need much much more land to equal the grays that a cow in East Texas would have. And I think it's similar with the forest, and not just with the Sasquatch, but any creature. These deciduous forests that are so thick, almost jungle like, and they're so rich in resources. I think it was doctor John Bender Nagel who visited the Big Thicket years ago, and he made the statement that, uh, an animal here would need far a far smaller range than the same species of animal would need in the Pacific Northwest, which is predominantly coniferous forests. And it's kind of the same way there there in New Mexico. So I think your chances of running into one unless you can identify a specific attraction, as Cliff alluded to earlier, with the water, you know, you got to get they got it. They're going to have to get to water at least a couple of times a day. But everything's the same. You've got the same Western red pines and ponderosa pines and cedars, and you've got this dusty, hilly, rocky landscape and it just goes on and on forever. The territory is just so vast, whereas in these Texas one's a little One of these animals would be a little more apt well to not move as much, I think, because it wouldn't need to. I would suspect these Western animals have to be on the move a lot, and that's that was going to make them a little harder to bump into, because they're just going to have to be moving in order to collect the resources they need. Now, you know, black bears are doing fine out there, so there's no reason to think that a sasquatch could not and would not as well. But I do think that makes it a little more difficult out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just did some quick searching. And you know, I'm sure our audience has heard me say many times that, you know, southern Appalachia, your average adult male black bear has a home range of around sixteen to eighteen square miles, and so it looks like out there the average range is anywhere from thirty five to sixty square miles for an adult.
Speaker 4: That makes sense. We did research for our paper on one of our papers on Area X. We found that in the Washingta Uplift area of eastern Oklahoma western Arkansas, the average home range for the black bear was anywhere from you know, twelve thirteen, fourteen, fifteen miles. I mean it was very tight, very tight area, which which just as Mikey talked about, it suggests that you know, an animal will have a much smaller territory, you know, a much smaller core area, doesn't have to go as far to forage, to find food, water, you know, And we may have some factors like we have recently discovered about the orangutans that sometimes they may have adapted evolution, may have natural selection may have helped them to adapt, and maybe they don't. Maybe in New Mexico and in places like that, they don't need to get they don't have to get water so much per se. Maybe they can go maybe they can go days without actually drinking water, actual water. Maybe they get all the moisture they need from their food sources. Maybe they've you know, maybe they've adopted, have adapted that way, and and uh developed that way. Who knows, well.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people overlook the vast resources that are present in deserts. In general, human beings have thrived, not not survived, but thrived in desert environments for as long as they've been in them, essentially, I mean, and not not like you know, stark sandscapes of the Sahara, That's what I'm talking about. But you go to places that are pretty dramatic, you know, pretty extreme, like Death Valley, and you go to the archaeolo look at the archaeology of Death Valley and there are tons of you know, camps and in ways, you know, strategies. I guess that humans adapted to survive in some of the most extreme environments on the planet, and of course sasquatches have advantages and disadvantages as far as that goes. The disadvantage is, of course they're large size and their hair covering which would retain heat. But you know, in New Mexico you get snow a lot of you it's not exactly the same kind of desert as death Value is. It doesn't probably get to one hundred and ten and stay there for weeks at a time. You know, it's actually a much more mild climate in that sort of way temperature wise, But the food resources are are just it's huge, huge in desert.
Speaker 4: You just have.
Speaker 2: To expand, I guess what you're thinking. And sasquatches are obviously excellent at adapting to their environment. You know, their food resources change depending on where they live. You know, a lot of For many years, people kind of poo pooed the idea of sasquatches being in the Majave Desert. But when you look at where they were seen, they were generally seen in dried river beds connecting to better habitats, and also at the base of the mountains, like basically right at the base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the Mohave Desert down there, that's a transition zone were what you get the benefits of two different biomes, and then the food resources that are present there. And New Mexico is a lot like that almost everywhere you go. It's kind of a little desert, little mountains sort of thing. And the food resources if you're interested in that, you know, like if you're interested in eating things like snakes and lizards and bugs and all those sort of things, which sasquatches certainly do. It's a cornucopia of food resources that are not available in other sort of more rush environments. And I think that a lot of times humans we're all victims of our own preconceptions. We think that there's no resources there and it's just not true. I mean, the mesquite plants, the various sage brushes, all these things have some nutritional value at some base level. And with the gut the size of a sasquatch, they're built for utilizing low resource foods. And of course they can catch rattle snakes without probably getting bitten very often, and they and lizards are probably no problem, just another tasty treat for them, you know, we have to look at it in that sort of way. Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and beyond with Cliff and Bogo. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 4: A couple of points about that Cliff that you brought up. The temperatures, they were very mild. So the first night we were caught unawares. We had checked the weather, but the weather was pretty inaccurate for where we were. We were about we were just under eight thousand feet and the first night got down into the upper thirties. From there on, every night, you know, in the in the in the middle of the night, I would say the temperature approached forty degrees fahrenheit. During the day, I think our highs were around seventy eight eighty degrees. Was very very mild in terms of temperature. We were not you know, we were not down on the desert floor. We were up and it was it was very much a Western you know, montane forest, ponderosa pines, alligator, juniper's scrub, oak, post oak. I mean, it was just it was very much a dense forest. Now I didn't have the understory that we're used to in the eastern half of the continent, but it was just a very rich forest, and the ungulate population is enormous. I mean, I can't tell you how many times how many elk we saw, mule, deer, pronghorn, And as I think all of us on this show today, I think all of us are subscribed to the you know, the the idea that that sasquatch just eat meat. I mean, I know, I know that I hold that, and so they they definitely have a rich diet there. You know, if I was eight feet tall and I could, you know, run bursts of thirty thirty five forty miles an hour, and you know, I could traverse mountains like nobody's business, then it would be no problem to stay well fed in that area, for sure.
Speaker 6: I was just going to agree with Cliff. Primates are famously resilient in many, many ways, and they can eat such a wide variety of things. And I have had a little pet theory for years that while I do believe there are certain areas of the country and the world that would be quote ideal habitat end quote, those are few and far between, and for a species of any kind to survive, there's going to have to be some adaptation, some changes, and some resilience, and I just think, again, my pet theory is that isolation is actually the number one requirement for these animals to not just survive, but possibly thrive in absence of us is number one. I think. I believe they will adapt, they will find something to eat, and they will survive. And again, anywhere where there's wildlife, like Darryl just alluded to, sasquatch is just another type of wildlife. And if these other species can adapt and make that adjustment, there's no reason to think one of these animals cannot do so as well. So again, I think the number one component for their survival is just isolation somewhere where they're going to be left alone, not harassed, and they'll figure it out like all these other types of wildlife have.
Speaker 4: Oh and it poured on us the last night, the last night we were there, it rained all night long. Thunderstorms started the day before off and on, and then when we turned in that night night we were wakened all night. In fact, Mikey got you got soaked pretty good because his rain fly failed to do its job. Sorry, Mikey, not laughing at you, but laughing with you.
Speaker 2: No, I think you are. That's okay, though, well, that's a serious situation in New Mexico. That's one of the few places that I almost was cut off from the roads due to flash floods when we were filming down there. It's like it started raining and raining pretty good for like an hour and that was it. Next thing, you know, you couldn't get back to the road because the river had raised to the such a level would have been dangerous to drive across what was previously dry an hour and a half before.
Speaker 6: Right, it comes it comes up so fast. It comes up so fast, but it also retreats pretty quick too. But you're right, you can find yourself in a jam. Fortunately, we were up at elevation and I had had a sleeping bag full of water. But other than that, you know, we weren't any danger as far as that goes.
Speaker 2: But you're right.
Speaker 6: We saw numerous flash flood waring type signs at low spots on the roads. We even saw one property that was for sale and it was right on what at the time was a dry creek bed, and we both theorized, I bet they're selling that because they keep getting flooded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the reasons I thought it'd be good to highlight not just that particular outing because it was relevant to our listenership, because that episode did so well, because it's such a fascinating story, but also, you know, the three of us used to collaborate in a very public way in the NAWAC and in the naaac's podcast that Darryl and I co produced and co hosted and that Mike was frequently on. But you know, since the three of us had parted the organization, we sort of maintained like ourselves and others. I always refer to it as like akin to the Invisible College, you know from back in the old Enlightenment era days, sort of like a non public network or you know, collaborative group of people operating together. And so you guys have come out with me, and we have more plans for you guys to come back out to the Southern Apple Actions. I came out to the Washingtons with you guys last summer, and so I just I thought it would be good because a lot of listeners write in and ask, and so yeah, we're still doing a lot of things that just might not always be under the moniker of you know, some acronym or you know, have a show dedicated to it or something like that. But I'm sure people would be really interested to hear, you know, what's in the pipeline or what else is coming up, or future plans. Like I said, I know we have plans, but you guys are still active there in Texas and elsewhere as well.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure, we've got stuff planned. We're talking about future things, and we definitely, Mikey and I both we have not lost interest in the pursuit of the Sasquatch. We do it now in a very low key way, and hopefully the only way that you will hear about our stuff in the future is perhaps if something happens that is significant that maybe you'll hear about it then. But you know, we prefer to keep it on, just sort of fly under the radar, just do our our thing. And we all we also have a lot of other interests as we said, that keep us also engaged. And but yeah, we were planning to we're planning to head to uh eastern Oklahoma here in the next month, not not anywhere near the old area, but someplace new that we're very interested in. And and then we've got some things that we're talking about, you know, you know, head over and do some stuff with Maddie in the in the not too distant future, maybe this year, maybe a few months from now, and then we also want to get out west as as I told Cliff and Bobo a little earlier, we're talking about the Mogi on Rim. We would love to head to, uh, you know, northern California, some areas up there, love to head to Alaska. There's all kinds of places that we would like to go. And Mikey's retirement's on and hopefully, you know, god willing hit retirement is not too far away from for him, and I'm already retired, so we absolutely have the time now. And so yeah, anyway, very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've just learned so much from both of you guys being in the field and always have a tremendous time, and so I always prioritize that. And my work supports that. You're talking to my two bosses on the line right now, and I think they'll give me the time off if I need this.
Speaker 6: Well, one thing I'm also endeavoring to do is to get a new site up. And the idea is, I think we've been hamstrung for years as researchers in this topic, everyone's been very closed mouthed, not shared, sharing much information with each other and things like that. So the site's going to be called the Tentatively, it's going to be called the Cryptid Cooperative. And the idea behind it is, I want to connect researchers across the country. It's you know, certainly the public will be welcome to come in and read and contribute as those opportunities arive. But what are really I'm looking to do is connect researchers to each other. And I'm not looking for anyone to share their secret honey hoole and coordinates and things like that. But if say someone in the Olympic project stumbles into a strategy that has yielded results on a consistent basis, right, if we do this, this happens seventy five percent of the time we get activity. Well, you know what, maybe that would work in eastern Oklahoma too. Maybe that would work in Maine. Maybe that would work in the Everglades too, depending on whatever it is, maybe that would work in the Hila Mountains of New Mexico. It's more of a let's share techniques and what works and what hasn't worked, what equipment is worth the investment and what isn't you know, things like that kind of We hope to have a forum set up for those types of discussions and hopefully it will encourage people to share a little more. That was one thing I was working on toward the end of my tenure in AWAC was a little more cooperation with some other groups that were we believe were reputable and doing good work. And we got some members to come in from those from those organizations and help dual membership with and really quality people. And I think more of that is what we need, and I think we have to prioritize the goal. The conservation of the animal is still number one to me. But to protect it, we have to prove it's real. And our best chance of proving it to be real is going to have to be a little more cooperation among the people that and it's just a handful of very few people that are actually out there and doing the work, and that's going to be the drive behind the site. It's also going to because like I said, I have other interests, you know, the black panther enigma. We're going to be have a section for that. And then my number three on my list is the Ivory built woodpecker, which being a swamp rat from southeast Texas. Periodically somebody will come in to say they've seen one down there in the big Thicket country. And I would really not much would throw me more than to try to find something like that and it's not gone after all. That would be we need to take one of those trips, mikey Oh, I'd love to We need to take one of those trips to go, you know, we'll spend a week ten days out in Ivy Build woodpecker country and.
Speaker 4: Take a hot powered buyos out there and see what we can see. Would love to do that.
Speaker 6: But that's kind of the idea behind the Cryptid Cooperative website. That's going to be hopefully just a matter of a couple of weeks, we'll be up and running. And I was really gonna hoping to debut it at the Texas Bigfoot Conference in October, but it may be up and running even before that. And and so anybody and everybody that's interested in contributing, you know, I invite you now to when that when that's up and run and jump on there and let's you know, let's get this stuff done. Let's let's not be quite as secretive and even borderline hostile to each other as some of the groups have been in the past. I think I think we need to figure out some way to work together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll definitely post that once that's available. We'll post it to not only the listeners, but the membership here because, like I said, there's always a lot of questions for you guys. And in fact, once we had this book, I put it out to our membership section and said, hey, if you have questions for Dale and Mike, post them in the comments. So we do have a lot of questions for you guys. If you're willing to stick around for another hour or so and talk to our lovely membership.
Speaker 4: I'd love to.
Speaker 2: All Right, Bobo, get out, get us out of here, and we will head on over to the membership section.
Speaker 7: Gram the cops. So thanks to Daryl and Mike for joining us today. I always got a lot of good info and stuff going on. So thanks to those guys. Until next week, y'all keep it beyond squatchy. Nope, Nope, that sucked. It's not beyond squatchy, just squatchy. Try to again, Bobs. Until next week. Y'all, keep it squatchy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, Subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond. That's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond. It was at.
Speaker 1: Understanding Out Again.
Speaker 2: Constett