Speaker 1: This is a clip from Beyond Truth.
Speaker 2: You can access the entire episode now on our website and all podcast platforms.
Speaker 1: But there's other.
Speaker 2: Things going on as well. I'm sure you've heard of Joe Fel says that's sort of the most recent fellow that has perished, I guess after showing us a whole pile of books. So I never knew who this guy was, so I'm not here to advocate for him. I have no idea who he is, what he's all about. The only thing I'm bringing up about him tonight and some of the other people as well, because I don't know these people either, is just the fact about the books.
Speaker 1: That's the only thing that I'm looking into.
Speaker 2: Because I've seen some controversial stuff out there now, everybody's slagging him or you know, their sy oups going on. There's so much going on out.
Speaker 1: There, you don't know what to believe.
Speaker 2: And I never met this guy before and never seen him, so I don't have any opinions about him whatsoever. And I don't really care what else he was into, you know what I mean. We're just going to talk about the books tonight. That's the main thing. So for those of you who are like, oh well, I'm not going to watch yeah, just to sim it down, okay, because we're just gonna be talking about the books tonight. So all right. So for thousands of years, controlling information meant controlling books, because that's kind of how we've had our information up to today. I know it's a little different now, but books have been burnt by government, religion, and conquering armies. Libraries have been destroyed. I'm sure you all heard about the Library of Alexandria. That's sort of the most famous one. I think about the book burning and whatever they didn't destroy there I do believe will be under the Vatican libraries. I'm sure they probably have lots of material there, but it's not for you and I to read those. So, you know, so a lot of libraries have been destroyed over years. You know, if you go and look back at the history, manuscripts have disappeared into private collection. Other books simply vanish because nobody thought they were important enough to preserve. Today, the battle of knowledge looks very different. Millions of books can be scanned into computers, which I guess in itself is a good thing because a lot of people prefer to read on the e reader, now you know what I mean, rather than having, you know, having to store all the books. And I get that, you know what I mean, It is a lot more convenient just have it on your computer. Run to have to store them all and we can't. Everybody can't have a copy of everything. So I get that part of it, you know. I think we should have both. I think we should be in the balance here, you know. And so that's what we need to try and find. It's a balance in this, right, you know, how far do we go here? Now? Other books simply vanished.
Speaker 1: Because nobody thought they were right.
Speaker 2: I said that today the battle over knowledge looks very different. Millions of books can be scanned into computers. Entire libraries can exist without a physical building. A read book can once require traveling across the world, can potentially be read from a phone. But that has created a new question now, right, So who owns human knowledge once everything becomes digital? That's the big question here?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So recently court record revealed as secretive an entropy program called Project Panama. So there you go, Project Panama, Project anchor what was that one? It must have been a different one that I was talking about.
Speaker 1: The other day, because that's.
Speaker 2: It may have been with Olsen that we were talking about that. Yeah, there's so many projects going on, and we do so many shows here that it's hard to keep track of all the different projects. But different this one is Panama.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So the company purchased enormous quantities of physical books. The bindings were removed, the pages were scanned at industrial speed. The physical books were then sent for recycling, as in, they destroyed them after okay. So the purpose was to feed high quality written information in to artificial intelligence systems. At almost at the same time, independent people have been doing nearly the opposite the search for forgotten books. They buy them with their own money, they scan them, and then they give them back to the public for free. So that's what Joe was doing, right, And this is why it seems so odd that he's no longer with us. So we're gonna get into him specifically in a minute here.
Speaker 1: But so that was Joe Fels, that's right.
Speaker 2: So he it just passed away last week, I believe, at forty years old. And from the little bit that I know about him, from what I've seen just from snippets here and there, he always would mention that he would never hurt himself. You know what, I'm saying, that he's healthy, there's nothing going on, and that he would never do that, and if he did mysteriously disappear for whatever reason, that it would be the government's fault. He kept saying that in pretty much every single video that I've seen of him, and then all of a sudden, he's gone. Now how he went? You know, who did it? That's all speculation. It just seems to suss to me that he did it himself. I don't think he did, but all the other stuff, you know, who knows, you know.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so he.
Speaker 2: Was preserving library remains online. So he actually has a website that I do believe is still alive.
Speaker 1: It's a live website.
Speaker 2: You can go on there now, and he has already I believe, scanned some books and whatnot, and they're still there. However, from what I've seen, again, I only know a little snippets because I wasn't following the guy. A lot of people are saying that they're going into his YouTube trying to find some of the old videos and they're being scrubbed out. So you could ask, like, what the heck is going on. Apparently his girlfriend has taken over his accounts, posting all kinds of stuff. Again, I don't know her, I don't know what they we're up to. I don't know what's going on exactly, but she has access to the account. And now all of a sudden, a lot of the videos about the old books are disappearing. They're just vanishing. They've just been taken down. So make up your own conclusions there as to who's doing it.
Speaker 1: And why, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So, yeah, so tonight we're gonna be looking at Joe. Okay, that's one of the guys. Another one is Aaron Schwartz, Richard Green, Project Gutenberg, Occult Archives and Internet Archives and Project Panama. Those are the things that we're gonna take a little looksie at tonight here. So now we're not claiming for liability reasons. Okay, we have to say this. We're not claiming at these depths we're connected. However, it does seem like ore, But we are asking some questions here. So what happens when knowledge becomes vas valuable enough that corporations, governments, publishers, collectors, and ordinary people all fight over who gets access to it.
Speaker 1: What do you think of that, Robert?
Speaker 3: I think you know, there's more to this story than you think. That's what I think there is. There's it goes way deeper. That's That's what I'm getting at.
Speaker 1: It always does, doesn't that. You know, they just seem to.
Speaker 2: Keep going and going and going.
Speaker 3: Well, first off, I mean, uh, a thousand years ago, people people kept all the books in one big library, Alexander, you know that there wasn't many books. Now, Uh, you know we have libraries everywhere. But do kids still go and read the books?
Speaker 1: Do they read the books?
Speaker 3: When was the last Nina, When was the last time you went to the library.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'm old school, so I actually do go to the library once in a while, you know, even to get you can get photocopies, right, you know, instead of paying the big money for ink and whatever else, going the library and do it there. But I'm old school, and you're right, the young people probably don't even know what a library is.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I got some more questions.
Speaker 3: Just don't run away with the train here.
Speaker 1: But you went to the library. When last time you went to the library.
Speaker 3: There's I'm getting someone going. I'm like I'm like a lawyer in a courtroom, you know, I'm asking the questions through the jury.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: Okay, you went to you went to the library, right, and you went to what made some folker to copies or whatever?
Speaker 1: You did you go to? Did you check out a book? Did you check out a book?
Speaker 2: No? I didn't, but you know.
Speaker 3: Okay that that's what I wanted to when when you were there, was there the place? Was the place packed or was there a couple of people?
Speaker 2: But there there still is a lot of people in there, to be honest, Yeah, there still is. Yeah, a lot of people like to hang out. You know. They have a lot of programs up in the library for mom and todts or kids. There'll be reading the time and there's a lot of things going on. They're still keeping it busy. But I know where you're getting at. And the teenagers probably arms, you know you're gonna find them there. But you'll find small children and you'll find older people who just want to sit somewhere and read a book and be quiet and the quietness, you know, so there is still that and you know that is an option people if you've forgotten there is free books and if your book that you're looking for isn't available, All you have to do is go to your local library and they will request it and.
Speaker 1: Have it brought to your library.
Speaker 2: And if they don't have it in any other library, they'll actually buy it and put it in there. So if you're an author and you want your own book in the library, that's all you have to do, and they'll bring it in, you know what I mean. So it's still alive and it's still there, and it's still free.
Speaker 3: So that is and you can donate books to the library too, and you.
Speaker 2: Can we donate books as well. Like if you pass away and you've got a huge library and you don't know what, don't enter your local library for sure, you know what I mean, Like, because our kids aren't gonna take them. I know my kids are probably gonna throw everything I have out unfortunately, So yeah, donate them to some to a library that's you know, where people are going to actually enjoy them, you know what I mean. So you know, after this show, I'm pretty sure everybody's gonna think, Yeah, better not get rid of the books, right, you better keep on, you know, collecting those books. But yeah, what's gonna happen to the physical books, you know, once the corporation have all the digital copies right and they're destroying the original copies, so you know. So but anyways, before we jump ahead of ourselves here, if we're gonna get right into the Project Panama here now, so what actually happened?
Speaker 1: So now the company.
Speaker 2: Behind the Claude artificial intelligence.
Speaker 1: System, so Claude. So that goes back to claw.
Speaker 2: Book and Molte Book and we've done shows on that. So if you haven't heard about those things, go and binge watch those. I might put them at the end of this show here so you can jump in there after to see what that's all about. If this is all new to you now. The court findings were revealed that in twenty twenty four, on Tropic launched an internal book acquisition operating operation known as Project Panama. Internal planning material described an ambition to destructively scan books on an enormous scale while keeping the project out of public attention. This is why we're bringing this to your attention because they're trying not to. Okay, So on Tropic purchased books in huge quantities from used book suppliers, so they're going around to all the used bookstores, okay, buying up all the copies they can get. And I wouldn't be surprised that that's also private collectors as well, maybe trying to get those as well as on court records describe orders involving tens of thousands of books at a time. The scanning vendor proposed processing between five hundred thousand and two million books in six months. Two million books in six months. The total number eventually scanned was reduced in portions of the court record although over Oh sorry, guys, we've got a thunderstorm going on here. I don't know if you guys can hear.
Speaker 1: That, but it'll pass.
Speaker 2: You don't worry about it. Oh boy um reported by on those records described millions of physical books being acquired.
Speaker 1: So how the books were processed.
Speaker 2: Industrial equipment removed the spine. They literally cut the spine right off. Once the bindings was cut away, the pages could fit through the high scanning speed scanners. You know what I mean. The page became digital data. After scanning. The dismantled physical copies were scheduled for recycling. This is called destructive scanning. It's not literally a book burning because they don't have to burn anymore. Now they just recycle, you know what I mean, just a different word for the same thing, is what it is. But the physical book does not survive the process. So it's the same darn thing. Okay, it's still in the words, right. So AI companies in the huge amount of written language. The Internet contains an enormous quantity of texts, but much of it is repetitive, poorly edited, and low quality. Internal AI company communications revealed that books were considered especially valuable because edited books contain structured arguments, professional writing, and information that may never be appeared freely online. So that is so true. It's you know, that's where all our information is in these old books, anything prior to eighteen hundred, I would say, don't get rid of that. Don't get rid of that, like it's going to be worth a lot of money. I would think in the future, if you're even allowed to have it, might be a law saying, you know, a lot to have it anymore. Wouldn't be surprised. But we haven't quite gotten there yet. So now it's the copyright controversy. So and Tropic was also accused of acquiring millions of digital books to unauthorized online libraries. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: There you go that. Sorry, that's not good.
Speaker 2: Unauthorized, yeah, illegal, is it not? But you know, see, this is why they don't want you knowing about this stuff, right because they're getting in trouble. From the looks of it here, somebody must have figured it out, but they became legally separate from the physical book it purchased and scanned. In twenty twenty five, a federal drudge found that using books to train AI could qualify as transformative fair use, but on Tropic still faces claims over the way it acquired pirateate copies.