Speaker 1: This is the first of what is going to be a few bonus episodes for you this week. I'm going to let you hear a bunch from Ryan Day. We get a chance to talk to him on Monday at Ohio State following the buckeyes fifteenth practice of the fall. A lot of interesting stuff to hear about. On this show, you're going to have to hear a bunch about the offense. We'll have a separate show letting you hear a bunch about the defense, and then the third show with just some more general thoughts on the team overall, some things happening in college football overall that he had some really fascinating things to say about. So you're going to get a gens to hear all of that in a couple of your podcast fads this week. We'll try and drop a couple of them on YouTube as well. So let's start with the offense. First question he got right out of the gate. Have they decided on a starting offensive line as of Monday after practice? Now, he's not ready to answer that question quite yet, but you can go ahead and lick your finger and stick it up in the air and tell if you can figure out which way the wind is blowing.
Speaker 2: So the offensive line right now, Austin's been working at guard and you know it's been good. He obviously spent a long time at tackle last year and so he's been working inside and and you know, his every day been getting more and more comfortable getting back in there. So you know, you're seeing Carson, Luke and Austin inside and then Ian and Phil on the outside, and and they're they're working together right now and and getting a lot of reps with the ones. And now you know, the guys you know right behind them are getting a ton of reps too, And so you're seeing Josh Badilla play some guard. You're also seeing them play center. But then Gave Van Sickle and and and Jake are right in there as well. And then you know Carter at tackle and and Dion Deontae at tackle as well. Like they're all repping with the ones. You know, I would say going into you know this week, we still haven't made any final decisions, but that's really you know, how the ones.
Speaker 3: Are working right now.
Speaker 2: You're seeing those three inside guys with Ian and Uh and then Phill at tackle. So we'll see how it continues to work out. It's sort of trending in that direction. But but good news is that we feel like, you know, we have more depth there probably than we've had a long time. So that that's been definitely a positive coming out of camp.
Speaker 3: Now we'll see how the rest of the week goes.
Speaker 1: Next up a question about one of the freshman standouts from this month, brock Boyd. He was the first guy to lose his black stripe back.
Speaker 3: In the spring.
Speaker 1: He has continued to be pretty darn good this month as well. So what is brock Boyd's role going to be with the Buckeyes this season.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to play. How much is to be determined, but he will. He will play.
Speaker 2: And somebody who has had a really good camp.
Speaker 3: He's practiced every day, and.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're out there every day, you know, and you're you're you're playing with the ones and twos and you're mixing yourself in there. And he's gotten a lot of reps with the ones in the last week. You know, you just you continually get better. And Julian I think is comfortable throwing him the ball. He's got really good body language in and out of breaks. He's smart, knows how to run routes. He can play multiple positions, so you know, I think as he continued to work this week, you know he's going to find himself playing a lot this year.
Speaker 1: Back to the offensive line now, and just in case you are not very good at reading the room, Ryan Day said in a separate, very short answer that I'm not playing here that Austin Siriveld was at right guard before he missed a little bit of time earlier in the month, and then went right back to you right guard when he returned a little earlier in the month. So then the question becomes, Okay, what have they seen out of Ian Moore at left tackle that they like that made it worth moving Ciriveld from left tackle to right guard.
Speaker 2: He's always been athletic, strong in the weight room, great mentality, intelligent and for offensive lineman, a lot of it is just experience. And you know he as you've seen here, usually in that third year you start to own to your own and that's what he's doing right now, playing with a lot of confidence. But he has you know, the size certainly, the athleticism.
Speaker 3: And and now he's getting more experience.
Speaker 2: So good to see him go against our guys every day in practice to give us an idea of what it's going.
Speaker 3: To look like.
Speaker 2: But everything was trending coming into the summer, and we think he's continued to get better.
Speaker 1: One of the really surprising storylines for a lot of people this month is that Luke Fahey, true freshman quarterback, not particularly ballyho to true freshman quarterback, is pushing tav In Saint Clair for the backup quarterback position. So do they know who's going to be QB two at the start of the season.
Speaker 2: Though, those guys are going to continue to work this week, and so you know we'll continue because because we're not into game week yet, so these guys are still competing and we want another week of work to kind of see how these guys continue to evolve throughout in the next five days and we'll go from there. Both have shown bright spots for sure, and you know, we know what's important there and there'll be times, I think, even this week, we may even give them a chance with the ones to see what that looks like. But but Julian, Julian's had a good camp, Julian's been strong and and those guys have a chance to see in the room, what it looks like to be a leader, what the expectation is. So you know they're they're working hard, they're right in the middle of it. School starts tomorrow so that we're going to change in this routine. But you know, it's been early mornings and late nights, so you know, there were some bright spots again out there today for both of those guys.
Speaker 1: One of the positions where there is some real legitimate questions are at tight end. Exactly who is going to be getting the most reps? Do they know what they have with some of the new transfers, with some of the guys who are being asked to play bigger roles this year, what is the pecking order at tight end? And is there a tight end number one that they feel really good about right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think it's a number one tight end.
Speaker 2: I think that based on what we're doing, you'll you'll see different guys on the field, you know, Bennett, Mason, Nate, you know, those guys can do multiple things, whether it's an eleven personnel or twelve personnel, and then and then the rest of the room fills out the depth so they'll play as well. I think that those three have sort of, you know, separated a little bit from the rest of the group.
Speaker 3: But you know, we'll see how this week place.
Speaker 1: More about the offensive line now, And Austin Sierwald was pretty darn good at left tackle last year. He had a really solid season overall. So to take your left tackle and move him off of left tackle to right guard, that is not something that a coaching staff is going to do very lightly. So what were those conversations like as they were making that decision.
Speaker 2: We try to, you know, figure out, you know, what were the you know, when when we look at all the games and everything from last year, we try to identify, you know, in the matchup games, what it's going to look like. And I think we've seen that Austin can play tackle, you know, we think that, you know, he's probably an NFL guard who can play tackle as well, probably a swing player, and so you know, putting him at left tackle and then throwing josh our Gabe in there is a good solution as well. So that that's why we're kind of going back and forth. But when you look at Luke Carson and Austin inside right there, that's a lot of beef in there, and you know, so it certainly has given us a lot of reason to like that as long as the tackle play is is really good, which so far it has been. So we like what we see there and we'll keep working on it. And then you know, when they all work together, there's a certain level of chemistry. You know, they all worked together last week, and you know they're going to continue to work together this week and see how that plays out, and we'll keep evaluating.
Speaker 3: But I think that has momentum right now.
Speaker 1: Here's a question about the wide receiver room from our buddy Tony Gerdaman, and the question was number one, is Kyle Parker back the LSU transfer. He's missed pretty much all of fall camp, So is he back yet or is he still out? And how many receivers does Ryan da see playing in matchup games? That's what that's what Brian Day calls the Texas game, the Michigan game, the Oregon game, the Indiana game, these big games where it is not just you know, the ball State game is not a matchup game when you're playing a team that is sort of a talent equated game. That's what he means by a matchup game. So how many receivers do they are they going to be playing in those matchup games. You'll hear that, and then you'll hear a quick follow up from Tony getting a little more clarity on that.
Speaker 3: He's not back right now.
Speaker 2: But to answer your question, how many guys you see playing six six could play?
Speaker 1: That's sitting the four veterans and then let Brocket and.
Speaker 2: Chris Egor yep, yep, Phil Bell and even Dez. I mean, those guys can find themselves playing and rotating in. They've been having a good camp that they're working hard out there and showing up and it's been good, good competition on both sides. So we'll see and then special teams will play into it. You know, who gets on the field on special teams is critical.
Speaker 3: We've always said that.
Speaker 2: You know, if it's a tie, it's going to go to the guy who plays on special teams.
Speaker 3: So but our depth, again at wide.
Speaker 2: Receiver is way better than it was last year. In my opinion, There's a lot of guys you'll see play this season.
Speaker 1: Talked earlier about Luke Fayhee and his push for that number two quarterback position. What has he done to get into that conversation to be a legitimate contender to be the backup quarterback this year.
Speaker 2: Well, he, first off, he works his tail off in terms of his preparations. He's in here early and he leaves late, works hard in meetings, Very conscientious on the field, very confident on the field. You know, he can handle all the stuff that's coming with it in terms of the protection checks, the run checks, calling it and out of the huddle, calling at the line of scrimmage, communicating. And then he has good anticipation and feel on the field, time situation score, good awareness, So you know, those are all positives.
Speaker 1: And then the opposite side of that conversation, tav in Saint Clair, I think most people would have considered him a pretty safe quarterback two on this depth chart going into the spring and maybe even coming out of the spring. So is there an area where he maybe hasn't progressed the way the coaching staff had hoped.
Speaker 2: No, he's just got to keep keep staying after it and keep working at it. There's definitely bright spots there for sure, and you know, but you know, as a quarterback, you know there's certain you know things that you know you continue to learn, but experience is the number one thing.
Speaker 3: And the more you.
Speaker 2: Play, the more you learn, and you know, and he's definitely learning every day. And but the thing that we all want to see is like, Okay, if a mistake is made, the next day, it gets corrected and then we continue to move on, which which he's shown.
Speaker 3: So that's been, you know, certainly a positive.
Speaker 1: And finally going to end with a quickie and this was a Tim May question, so the quick answer is a little bit appropriate.
Speaker 3: What is the biggest.
Speaker 1: Benefit of having a returning starter like Julian sayin at quarterback?
Speaker 2: It's the role at Exa plays that you're never not doing for the first time anymore. Oh I have that reference point. Oh I've done this before. I've actually physically done it. So it gives you a confidence to say I'm remembering, not learning, And that's probably the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: All right, hope you guys enjoyed that one. We are trying to cram as much content as we possibly can into the last week plus before the kickoff of Ohio state season ball State September fifth, twelve thirty pm. It's on Big ten Network. We will be there. We're going to have coverage all of all sorts of stuff coming up this week. We will be at the stadium on Wednesday. We'll have coverage of a bunch of stuff just on the new stuff that they're going on at the stadium. New concessions, new procedures, new all sorts of stuff. We'll be over at the stadium Wednesday to give you all that, and they'll be talking to all the team captains, the seventeen captains on Wednesday night after practice. School starts this week. Ohio State starts classes on Tuesday. Practices moved to the evening. It is really almost here, the long, long, long, long long college football season, finally almost in the rearview mirror season almost here. This would be a phenomenal time for you to join us at Buckeye insiders dot com. I know you're probably tired of hearing us say listen. We're just letting you know you are missing out because right now we are having a really really fun time with our members on the Insiders board. We've been sharing a ton of information, great insight from inside practices, inside scrimmages, lots of really really good intel. Really just a fun community as well. If you were the type of person who wants to go deep. Take a deep dive on Ohio State athletics. Learn more about scheme, learn more about what's going on inside the team. Learn more about recruiting. Yes, maybe we talked basketball too. We have a basketball insider as well. We would love to see you there at Buckeye Insiders dot com. You have questions, show me a DM on Twitter, email me whatever. You feel free to reach out to me. I'm always happy to talk about it, answer any questions you might have. We would love to see you there at Buckeye Insiders dot com. So that will do it for now. Hope you guys enjoyed this bonus coverage. We'll be back with more coverage a little later on this week.