Speaker 1: The Team House with your host, Jack Murphy and David park.
Speaker 2: Hello. This is episode three and seventy two of The Team House. I'm Jack here with our guest tonight, who is Worth Parker. Worth served in the Marine Corps as a force recon and MARSAC officer. He is also the author of the book Always Faithful, about the evacuation of Allies from Kabol when Afghanistan collapsed, and he also runs a few clinics for helping veterans with writing. So we're going to talk about all kinds of different stuff here today where thanks for joining us.
Speaker 1: Tonight, Yeah, thank you for having me on and on Jack, And.
Speaker 2: Then I should mention this is your second time on the show. The first time was a different topic. It was you and Mick and maybe there's one other guy.
Speaker 1: Remember Mick was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that we we did. So that was about the Afghanistan evacuation. But now we'll get into this. You can start off telling us a little bit about like your origin story. You mentioned to me that you were an Eagle scout, you come from a marine family.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, I mean it kind of in a happenstance, I mean, not like in a bunch of career Marines in the family. But yeah, I grew up in North Georgia, primarily Athurs, Georgia, and the family has a pretty strong service ethos really on both sides of the family. But on my mom's side there were there's a senator and two state governors, and then a host of Marine soldier, sailors, air folk, et cetera. You know, my cousin cousins Buddy and Joe were company commanders at Pork Chop Hill in nineteen fifty three, and Joe got the Distinguished Service Cross, Buddy got the Silver Star. Then Buddy got shot in the head in Vietnam right before the lz X ray thing with the air cap and how Moore's crowd, So you know, I was admired those folks. My dad was a Marine officer, just did his three years and got out. My grandfather, against the wishes of his own dad was a Marine machine gunner, dropped out of college, enlisted and ended up getting shot at Sugarloaf Hill in nineteen forty four, came home and then he was a judge, and I kind of went on into the law, which is what a lot of folks on my mom's side of the family did.
Speaker 3: But anyway, that that inspired me.
Speaker 1: That plus having a scout master who was a Special Forces NCO and who really spent a fair bit of time with me and took me just like the old Special Apps Association conventions when they'd have those in Atlanta, and so I get to go meet all these old cats, and I really came to ideolize. And I was a you know, was an AMA voracious reader. So you know, I had all seventeen books by you know, every LURP in one place, Tune from whatever company in the one hundred and first and the point from the point Man to the rto and read all those kind of books growing up. So anyway, went off to college and then commissioned in ninety four and that was that more or less. I mean, it was some circuitous routes taken, but that's how it got started.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up, guys. I want to thank our sponsor PIA VPN. That's private Internet access. Have you guys ever been at a coffee shop connected to their Wi Fi and just wonder how secure it is and it turns out you're not secure at all. It's like sending a private text message to a group chat everyone can see all of your personal data, from your passwords to your browser history. It's all out in the open, and I do not need my browser history out in the open. For people, that's a problem, But the solution is Private Internet Access PIA. It's super easy to use and the app protects all of your devices. It hides your IP addresses, and it creates an encrypted tunnel from your Internet connection, so no one can snoop on your data. And unlike a lot of services out there, PIA is completely transparent. They have a proven no logs policy which means they never record or store your data. But really, the thing that I love the most about PIA is watching shows like The Office in the US, which is not normally available here, so I just punch it into PIAVPN and I can watch it on Netflix like normally. You can change your virtual location to one of their servers in ninety one countries and unlock new content. Whatever you want to watch. You can check it out there too. It's pretty cool and you can protect your entire family with one subscription. So if you want to protect your digital life and get eighty three percent off plus four months free, head to piavpn. Dot com Slash Teamhouse and sign up today. They have a thirty day money back guarantee, so there's no risk to you. That's PIA vpn dot com Slash Teamhouse for eighty three percent off plus four months free. That's actually just two dollars and three cents a month, so it's total worth it. If you're looking to get into a VPN, Pia is the way to go, So just head over to Pia vpn dot com Slash Teamhouse. We really appreciate PIA supporting the show and we hope our fans will go and support our sponsor. Please check them out, and we really appreciate you guys. Thank you, and tell us about then coming into the Marine Corps as a second lieutenant. This is like nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 1: Yes, I commissioned in ninety four, and I'm pretty confident I was the youngest second lieutenant in the Marine Corps at the time, and I was I know, I was the youngest Marine and Marine Forces specific, or the youngest officer in Marine Force specific when I got there. But you know, I was a baby. I was a straight up mama's boy, and I had a lot to learn. I learned it a fair you know, I was raised my parents were divorced. My mother as in her own words, I raised him to wear Brooks brothers, and all he wants to do is crawl around the mud. And there was some truth to that. And so off I went to OCS, where I had a good hardening experience that I needed, and then I went to the Basic School, where I learned a fair bit more about hardening, and then onto the Infantry Officer Course, and that was a super formative experience for me. I would tell you that, the Marine Infantry Officer Course. And I've gone to you know, obviously a lot of schools since then for stress and oculation, or for tactics or for whatever, but the first one, right, really the second, I guess post the Basic School, the Mftry Officer Course was the single greatest, and I think it probably still is.
Speaker 2: And your first assignment was second Battalion, Third Marines YEP.
Speaker 1: I was the scout sniper platoon commander. So all my buddies from the Infantry Officer course went to the rifle companies, or you know a number of them anyway did. And then I had gone to the Army's Military Intel Officer Course at Fort Wachuka en route. So I showed up about six months after them and took the sniper platoon. And I was the first of a new MOS that the Marine Corps started back in the early nineties in response to intelligence failures during Desert Storm, and General PK.
Speaker 3: Van riper lambasted Marine Corps.
Speaker 1: Intelligence post Desert Storm, and in typical Marine Corps fashion, the core came back said, cool, you got a problem, come up with a solution. And so he started re engineering Marine Corps intelligence program. And one of the failures he saw was leadership within company grade and field great officers, and so he said, all right, we're gonna put these guys into combat roles first. And so if you became a zero two zero three ground intelligence officer, you were probably headed either to a recon battalion or to an infantry battalion scouts niper platoon. And thinking I was going to be in for three years at that time, I really didn't.
Speaker 3: See any reason to do anything else but go straight that way.
Speaker 1: If I had to do all over again, I probably would have been a straight you know, infantry guy.
Speaker 2: Is that kind of how the Marine Corps does things that they bounce you around a little bit, trying to make you more well rounded as you've become more senior.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's very much the way that the Marine Corps manages officer assignments. You know, I say all the time, I spent twenty seven total years as a marine, about twenty two of that was active. The only thing I am an expert in is employing experts. You know, if I had to do headspace and timing on a fifty cow, I mean, obviously I'm five years past retirement, but I'm not sure I could have done it on retirement day. And I'm embarrassed by that fact, but it's true, and I have friends who still could do it twenty five years later. But I'm not mechanical. But so those kind of skills I know to look at the right marine to do that thing. And so I think, you know, my major skills that I learned were smelling bullshit, figuring out who's really squared away and really competent and capable and trustworthy, and then trusting those people.
Speaker 2: What was it like trying to lead a or I mean not trying, but you did lead a scout platoon, a scout sniper platoon in the mid nineteen nineties. Was that challenging in any ways to you know, handle a bunch of Marines in a training environment.
Speaker 1: Largely, I mean they're great marines. It was a challenging because of the usual lieutenant dynamic, you know. And I'm the Army has a way they treat their second lieutenants. Some Marine Corps has a way it treats it second lieutenants. The two are not identical. Obviously, I'm parochial, so I'm partial towards the Marine Corps way. I showed up. I had a bunch of salty one deployment lance corporals who had taken the Scout sniper indoctrination at the tail end of an Okinawa deployment, and they were now the core of the platoon I probably had. I think I had one sergeant and two corporals. One of those corporals is a good friend today he's now he's the guy in charge of the Mark Fmanship programs for the Texas Guard and is like a CW four or five. But I had that crowd when I walked in. What I did not have was staff in CEO. And I had spent my whole life preparing all I wanted to be was the green army man with the binoculars and the pistol, and who I always associated with being the lieutenant, And so now there I was being it. But now I also was a brand new MOS. There'd never been an officer in charge of a Marine sniper platoon. It was always a staff in co. And so I'm supposed to be doing training plans and all the stuff that a second lieutenant is supposed to be learning. I don't know how to do any of it, and it doesn't The Headquarters and Services Company did not have the architecture that a rifle company would have. Had to bring me along, and the other the EXO of the company was a guy that was I mean, he was there for a reason. The CEO was actually a really squared away guy, super good guy. But he didn't have time to raise one single lieutenant. He was trying to run, you know, cause the headquarters battian is the guy with all the responsibility. Excuse me, Headquarters and Services company guy is the guy with all the responsibility and really none of the authority in the battalion. So he's got to be a really strong officer. But anyway, I had a we had a great first sergeant named John Myers who used to slap me around in a loving way, and I mean physically. He was a big intimidating former interrogator type and.
Speaker 3: He would thump you. But he got me a staff incia.
Speaker 1: And I'll be the first to tell you that there's what they tell you your staff and CEO's are going to be when you're at the basic school. And then there's the reality that stefan CEO's are human beings like everyone else. And there's that spectrum between the guy who walks on water and the guy who's on divorce number seven and the DUI number two, and most people fall out in between. I got Mike Kirtschweil, who walked on water, and I say, to this day now retired Sergeant Major Michael Shawn Kertschwil is the reason I had a career, and despite my best efforts to ruin it. And he was a counselor, he was a leader, he was a trainer, and he was absolutely without ego and so he could manipulate me into doing what needed to be done and make me think that I had told him to do it, and that wasn't slimy. It was generous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he was compelling or persuasive.
Speaker 1: He trained his lieutenant the way you're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: And then did you have to go and do some time like after that as like an actual intel officer.
Speaker 1: I did, and that was you know, I was super immature coming into the Marine Corps.
Speaker 3: I spent again my whole life fantasizing about how this thing was going to be.
Speaker 1: And I have only in the last couple of weeks admitted to several friends that I'm an idealist and that gets in the ways of reality sometimes, or maybe reality gets in the way of my idealism, but either way, I had an idea about how things were going to be, and I believed that was exceptional enough that I could run between the rain drops and they would be that way. And then the Marine Corps said, yeah, go be a battalion intelligence officer now, and I felt like I was being punished. Had I been a grown up about the thing, I would have realized, I'm going over to this other battalion where the battalion commander wrote all the command and control publications for the Marine Corps, or rewrote him, I should say, And as a student of the game and is the best battalion commander in this.
Speaker 3: Regiment, and he not only is willing to let you.
Speaker 1: Sit at his feet and learn, but he wants you to I would have been a much better officer for it, but I wasn't grown up enough to do that, and so I was his intelligence officer, while you know, meanwhile, constantly looking backwards, wanted to wear a boonie hat and you carry a knife on my teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you hadn't gotten that opportunity, or at least not enough of it from your perspective, So you went into the reserves at that.
Speaker 1: Point I did. I wasn't getting what I wanted, so I took my ball and went home. And I'm real upfront about that, And you know, people tried to make a few options for me, a lot more in line with what I wanted. But I ultimately like, Okay, I'm gonna get out and go to grad school and I'm going to join the reserves. And so I went to Third Force Reconnaissance Company in Mobile, Alabama because I wanted to be a for street comrine and I took their indoctrination and I was not much of a swimmer, and you gotta be. And they had to pull me off the bottom of a swimming pool because we were treading water with weights over our head or with a weight over our head, and you know, you can't get to ten pound weight wet. And I'm treading and treading, and I'm just slowly sinking, sinking, sinking, until the weight is now underwater along with me, and I just kept sinking to the bottom of the pool. And so I finished the whole end dock, which is about forty eight hours of just getting your junk kicked. And at the conclusion of it, you do an interview. You put on your best camis and you go in there and you stand in there in front of all these staff and cias, and this one guy said, well, sir, uh, you can't swim, but you seem to be willing to die to be here, so I think we can train you. And I knew I was in and I stayed at that unit for eight years and built some amazing friends, and I met some really really.
Speaker 3: You know, cool people that are lifelong friends today.
Speaker 1: Officer and enlisted, really more enlisted, truthfully, and uh, and that that was a way to scratch the itch.
Speaker 2: For a while, and so you're enforced now, so presumably you had to go to dive school, jump school, all that good stuff.
Speaker 1: Did all that. I managed to make it through dive school without putting on water wings, although I very much wanted to. And uh, and then jump school and then did heyho never did free fall, but went out to Yuma, you know, and did the the we used to jump to m C five with a static line deployment. Uh, and so went out and did that. And then nine to eleven came and I knew I couldn't stay on the sidelines. I had worked as a pharmaceutical rep. I had gone to law school, and I was actually in law school after nine to eleven when we finally got the call from a reserve unit that we're going to send a platoon with first Force for you, with first Force to Iraq. Now, we're going to send two platoons with second Force later. And I was the operations officer for the company at that point, and I turned to my buddy, who was the active duty instruct inspector instructor at the company, and said, you know, I think if I wait till this summer, I could probably take one of those platoons instead. Of going now and being like the night Watch officer, and he said, yeah, I think he probably could make that happen. So that was straight chicanery. But you know, I wanted to go and do the do the deal. So I got some guys who had just come back with first recon from doing the Generation kill, march up to Baghdad, and then some homegrown guys and off we went to Camp La June on my first wedding anniversary and headed off up there for three.
Speaker 2: Months for premission training. And what was you know, conceptually, where were you guys heading? What were you training for?
Speaker 1: We were going to Iraq. We knew we were going to ohif two. We were deployed in August of two thousand and four. We had no Someday, I'm going to write some really really really angry RANTI screed about that period of time because I flew up there in December of two thousand and three, Yeah, two thousand and three with three other Marines, and by the time we got to the Raleigh airport, we had one cell phone between us because it was in two thousand and two or whatever, two thousand and three. We had a message that said two of you get on a plane and come right back. We got a prepare to deploy order. The other two of you go to Campell June and set up the summer training like you're planning to. So I go down there with the company ops chief and we send the other two guys back and we got down to La June and we did what we were supposed to do.
Speaker 3: We set up a bunch of training requested ranges.
Speaker 1: We did all the training support requests, all the stuff that you do, as well as found building, et cetera. Well, six months later, when I showed back up to Camp La June and walked into the ops shop at Second Force, all of those TSRs, etc. Were sitting in the bottom of the training assistant Training chiefs inbox.
Speaker 3: You never moved them, never processed them. We don't have a range set up.
Speaker 1: Our building was then no longer existent, French Creek Barracks. We had two functioning toilets for something like sixty nine marines, and one of those went down under that load. We you know, and I'm used, I've lived in condemned buildings before as part of being a marine, not even like in training or you know, hey, you're deployed you're going to live in this bombed out shelter. No, Like, I've lived on condemned buildings on more than one marine base for an extended period of time, and that's normal.
Speaker 3: But you know, we had feasts mounting up out of the toilets.
Speaker 1: It was grotesque, and so that that was I'm still really angry twenty years later about the way that onboarding happened.
Speaker 2: What do you what do you think that breakdown was there? And go ahead, what do you think the breakdown was that that resulted in that.
Speaker 1: Somebody didn't do their job?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, flatly, a guy didn't do his job, and there there were there were personnel things that I you know, I'm not going to litigate two decades later, personalities and personnel. But the flat reality is none of the paperwork required to train, feed, and house a unit that was being that they knew they were gaining was processed. And hey, you know that's two way street. We didn't do our job of going did you file all the paperwork? Yeah? We did, it's good. You know, we didn't do a confirmation brief nears ing tel so you know that didn't happen. We recovered it, but it was kind of reminiscent of when I was a second lieutenant. Suddenly I'm in a situation of I don't know the training areas, I don't know the place, I don't know the procedures, and I got to come up with a plan to deploy two platoons to war in ninety days. And oh, by the way, none of us ever been to war except for the few guys who had just come back from doing the march up with first re combat time. And so if you ask them, well, what do you do when you go to Iraq? Well, you drive really fast, you do convoy ops. You know, you stop and get into firefights. You do ambush trill counter ambush drills. That's what you do. And we learned how to live out of a humbye. Well, you know what we did was DA raids. I did seven months of door kicking. And so what should have happened is we should have spent you know, days and days and weeks and weeks on a flat range and then in a mount facility and et cetera. But that's that's not what happened. So we kind of made it up on the fly.
Speaker 2: And so you guys get there with the second Force. It was Al Kayim, Iraq, right, mm hmm. And what was the mission that you guys were assigned at that time?
Speaker 1: I mean it was pretty pretty classic Marine Corps mission. I couldn't I couldn't tell you the exact mission statement. Although the we were working with first Battalion, seventh Marines there. Op So is still a good friend of mine and works at MARSC. Now he kind of used us as his brute squad. And you know, we had there were three rifle companies there, but one of them was guarding an ASP that had massive holes in the fence line. You could watch people walking in and walking back out with munitions on is R. So that company was literally living and patrolling at an ASP to try and keep it from becoming a supply line to the MOOS. One company was holding down Camp Gannon in Huseba, which was probably at the time before Fallujah really kicked off, was probably the most dangerous city and in Iraq, the back fence line of that camp was is Syria, and so not only were they fighting the moves, occasionally the Syrians would accidentally whip her, you know, a mortar round across the border. So that company was there, and then we had a company at Alkim with us, and they were actually out doing what the you know, mobile assault platoons out patrolling, and a mobile assault platoon was effectively a mounted infantry platoon driving around finding IDs with their tires and so and God bless them. I mean, the absolute definition of bravery is those marines. And so, you know, we used to we would eat with them in the chow hall, and we had someone who would come and hang out with us, and we would do train in with them and help them, you know, some of their CQB kind of stuff, because I had some guys who were super switched on on it obviously, And I remember one of these marines saying to me, I couldn't do what you guys do, like go in their houses every night and blowing out these doors. And I was like, you're literally out there driving around waiting to get exploded. I psychologically speaking, I'm there's no death debate. Who's tougher here, buddy. But anyway, they were out there the closest thing to an offensive arm. So eighth Platoon of Second Force Ricon's job was u literially kill or capture hvts. And then that became in politics, so it became capture or kill hvts. But you know what's the distinction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, and they kept you pretty busy. How long were you deployed over there?
Speaker 1: That was seven months? And I mean I would we were not moving with like you talked to some of my Ranger Regiment friends. We were not moving with the speed of the regiment. But you know, later being deployed forward with a lot of the regiment, I recognized, like if you read the Crystal's book about the development of the Task Force in Baghdad and procedures, et cetera, or when I talked to my friends from from that element of socom, you know, the way we.
Speaker 3: Learned was kind of happening in parallel.
Speaker 1: My CEO at Second Force who took the company right before we deployed, and as a very dear friend of mine to this day, I had come from the CT world and had kind of we we He went, Okay, we got to organize a targeting board, we got to organize an intel cell, We got to start doing these things for real. There was no It was a very nascent is. Sr Ir was an intel analyst and a huet with long lensed camera overflying our targets. But they built target packages for so we could actually start looking at at where we might go and then uh that I mean, by the end of that deployment, we could look at a house and know from the shape of the house, like, oh, that'll be the prayer room, here's the entryway, probably kitchen is going to be right here. Like we've just been in so many that we knew the layout. But anyway, that that was. It's always interesting for me to talk to folks from that side of socom or and realize how organizations adapt under pressure is pretty identical.
Speaker 2: What were some of those like lessons learned, those conclusions that you guys were coming to learning through experience.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean a lot of it was just basic tactical stuff, and some of it is, you know, to the I'm sure to the tactical crowd would be super boring. Discipline, basic Marine Corps discipline, solid SOPs. Like I organized my platoon. I had twenty five marines and I just split them down the middle, and I had an alpha element and a Bravo element, and you know, Tuesday night alpha element and is driving the trucks and running the guns and Bravo element. I don't have to let my dog in a minute. Bravo element is is going to do the actual hit? You know, I always went with the assault element. My platoon sergeant always ran the perimeter. And you know, every every mission, you know, we had a timeline the guy and I published it.
Speaker 3: The guys knew when to do what, but I still published the timeline.
Speaker 1: We had a warning order every time we had a conops, every time we had a con ops brief, every time everybody got brief together. I learned sometimes that my plan was fallible and that I needed to take suggestions from the peanut.
Speaker 3: Gallery, which they you know, we were very much a unit.
Speaker 1: And I I believe strongly, you know, in the old and the concepts of debriefs, brief backs, et cetera, where everybody sits in and everybody has a voice, and you know, sometimes the corporal who pipes up from the back and shreds your good idea is one hundred percent correct, and if you fail to adapt to his or her good idea, well you're screwing yourself in the whole unit.
Speaker 3: So I think that was a big thing.
Speaker 1: As I said, I split the unit down the middle, and so after we'd done an assault the night before, the folks who were in the assault element would build a tape house identical to the target, and the guys who were drivers and gunners the night before would debrief via the tape house. Here's what d this happened, Here's where that happened, Here's where we found this thing. And I just think that. And I didn't drive that because I was kind of a one man planning cell. I didn't sleep for seven months because my guys might sleep eight nine, ten hours hopefully, but I was up planning, briefing, debriefing, going to see the battalion, adjacent battalion commander, or whatever I had to do is as the officer to keep things rolling and then grab an hour a shut eye before we went out the door, which frankly I was usually to hyped up an anxious to grab an hour shut eye and then we go out and do the thing.
Speaker 2: And you worked in conjunction. Was this the deployment where you were with a SF team at the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was with a fifth Group ODA. Will Bowman was the ODA commander, and so I was with those guys and then they departed. They did not have a partner force, and so they departed to go east and work with an actual partner force and do SF things. But I did enjoy love. I loved working with those because Will that was a marine who had actually gone to the basic school one class behind me, so we knew a lot of folks. And then, sort of like me, he wasn't getting what he wanted in the Marine Corps, so he jumped ship and became an army SF guy.
Speaker 3: And then a tenth group team came in and I.
Speaker 1: Worked with those guys a couple of times as we were stepping out the door.
Speaker 4: If you're in the market for a new mattress, you've probably seen all the brands out there vying for your big names, splashy ads, all promising the same thing. But here's the only brand that.
Speaker 1: Does it right.
Speaker 4: It's got sped ghostped Wards created and is still run by manufacturing experts with more than twenty years of mattress making experience. They know the craft and they know how to build a bed that actually lasts. So how do they offer premium mattresses for up to fifty percent off lesson the competition. It's not it's smart logistics. As a family owned company. That means there's no board of investors to answer to. It's is folks working hard selling mattresses. These are the true manufacturing pros and the result is an exceptional cooling and comfort at a price that won't keep you up at night. Every ghost Bed mattress includes proven cooling materials back by a twenty to twenty five year Warring Tea. You also get one hundred and one night sleep trial with free returns if the mattress doesn't work for you, and fast free shipping. Most orders arrive in two to five days. Right now, as a Teamhouse listener, you can get twenty five percent off sitewide for a limited time. You could just go to go sped dot com slash house and use a promo code house at checkout. That's go sped dot com slash house promo code house. Upgrade your sleep with ghost Bed, the makers of the coolest beds in the world. Some exclusions apply see site for details. I want to think ghost Bed so much for continuously supporting us. It's been going on a year almost so I really appreciate that. I hope you guys, if you're in the if you're in the market for mattresses or pillows or betting, check out ghost bed. You can go to gosped dot com slash house and get twenty five percent off right now, love you and love ghost bed.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, and.
Speaker 2: Then talk to us about rotating back home.
Speaker 1: That you know, that's one of the things everybody talks about, transition, et cetera. But it was a big change. I was on a one year activation and I had finished two years of law school, and I had undergone a pretty significant mental shift. I mean, I told you I've finally acknowledged I'm an ideal. I went over there like I'm going to teach the Iraqi people about the Fourth Amendment. And you know, four months later, I was like, you slap another pound of C four on that door au as we can. And I don't think that that wasn't a healthy shift. That wasn't a good shift. I held on to my morals, I held on to what was right, but I definitely became more callous over seven months. And then I came home and I was like, I'm going back to that. And I was like any other person who'd gotten a taste of something and wanted more and you know, it's.
Speaker 3: Like embarrassing to admit to a bunch of people, but it's true.
Speaker 1: Like my wife would be off at her job and I'd be home from law school in my third year, and I'd get home relatively early, and I'm like, you know, clearing rooms and pying corners and stuff in my house to stay sharp because in my head like this is.
Speaker 3: Gonna I'm going back. This is gonna happen.
Speaker 1: And so I ended up back at UH back on activity. The Marine Corps asked for volunteers, and in two thousand and six I went back in full time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so tell us how that comes about. That there's this new thing called MARSK and they're looking for volunteers. How did that happen for you?
Speaker 1: So I was there was an allmar and All Marines message went out, and I got the All mar that said, Hey, we're looking for you know, select Marine corpserve officers return to active duty and serve. You know, we got two hot wars going and we need you. Okay, cool, And I was like, well, I'm a four street kind guy, like, surely I can overcome. I didn't even think about the fact that I had effected in the Marine Corps. I has been out for eight years. I had already put a bullet in my head career wise, and I didn't really I just didn't think about it. Again. I was very immature for a long time in some ways, and I now realize some of that's because I'm an idealist. Some of it was ego. I thought I as I said, I thought I could run between the rain drops. I'm special, and you know, some stuff doesn't land on me. But I applied, and I think three applicants were accepted. I think I was the only one who was brought back in in the MOS. I wanted to come back in as which was an infantry officer, so I returned to active duty with orders to Marsock. Part of that was I was sitting preparing for my last semester exams and my little cell phone rang will flip phone and it was a buddy of mine had been roommates with in two three, you know, I don't know eleven twelve years before, and now he was the monitor, which is the branch manager in the army. I think you guys call it and it's a it's a career maker job, like for an older company. Great officer and he's like, hey, man, I just do I see your name on a message for orders because you knew I've got now And I said, yeah, you do. And he said, well, what are you trying to do? And I said, I'm going to Marsac talk to this guy, Pepe Tronzio, who was my CEO second force on that deployment, who's now the G three at mar Sock.
Speaker 3: Pete's gonna hook it up, you know, make it happen.
Speaker 1: And and funnily enough, three years later that guy called me and was like, all right, man, you're up for orders again.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do to get the soft stink off of it?
Speaker 1: And I said, well, I've I've already arranged orders to Jay Sock, So I guess nothing I get.
Speaker 2: I'm taking a bath in it. And so what was it like getting to Jason or I'm sorry to MARSK in those early years where you're trying to like stand up a unit and stand up a capability.
Speaker 1: It was so cool. Honestly, I was a total staff guy Pete. In fact, Pete hit me up and he was like, hey, you want to go down to a Battian or you don't want to work in the G shop. Now, no officer in his right mind says I want to go to the G three. But one all my friends from Force Riecan were there. Two I recognized I had a serious lack of knowledge. I was coming back to active duty as a junior major. I'd never done any kind of staff stuff. I basically was, you know, a subject matter expertise in force re con operations. And as you alluded to earlier, the right pedigree for a Marine officer is to do a vast number of career broadening, knowledge broadening stuff. And again, I was immature. I was selfish. I wanted to do what I wanted to do. Nobody needed to tell me how to do business. And so I said, you know what, it's time for you to grow up. And plus, my wife, you know, is a never been a military wife for outside of the reserve. She's been through a combat deployment, but this is a new thing for her. So all right, I'm gonna go to the G shop with all my friends. And honestly, I remember sitting one day in my cubicle in the G three and I was like, I could do this forever, Like I'm surrounded by great people. This is I've got cool work. I like organizations. When the paint hasn't dried, the cement's still wet, you know, you're figuring it out. And credit Pete Petronzio. He's the kind of guy who you know, everybody hated us in two thousand and six, the Marine Corps hated us. So Calm hated this. Everybody was mad at us. And we'd have staff meetings every morning at seven am, and you know, against the Marine Corps. So typically it's shaving a haircut and you know, uniforms. You show up at seven am. My wife was living in Raleigh. I was commuting two and a half hours some morning to make the seven am staff meeting. You walk into a hoodie and you know, three day beard, it's just sit on the floor. We're gonna do the staff meeting. It was all business and look, I'm a guy. I'm for shaving a haircut. That's that's a Marine thing. It's a good thing. It works for the Marine Corps and ultimately worked for us. But it was just you can shave after the meeting. Dude, I'm glad you were able to get an extra twenty minutes asleep. Now go do your thing, and Pete would be sitting at his desk and like, who should we piss off the day? And basically we just kind of go through the rolodecks and pick a name that we're gonna infuriate because we're gonna ask for something, or we're gonna say we're not gonna do something, or we're gonna say we are gonna do something that somebody's not gonna like. You know, that organization was built on one of Rumsfeldt's snowflakes, and for you know, watchers listeners that don't know what that is, they used to call his memos snowflakes because they.
Speaker 3: Would just drift down from the office of the Secretary of Defense.
Speaker 1: We had his snowflake framed on the wall for years in the G three at Marsac and all it said was Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command is designated a.
Speaker 3: Special Operations Force period.
Speaker 1: Donald J. Donald Rumsfeldt, and uh, I don't think he's a J. I think the current Donald is a J. But anyway, that was that now we're soft and neither General Brown nor General Hagey. I don't think we're you know, particularly enamored of the idea uh, and then there was a whole crew of there were a lot of SF guys who were not happy about it. There were a lot of Marine graybeards who were not at all happy about it, and so we were fighting perceptions, which again for a guy who listened to punk rocker righting a skateboard in Athens, Georgia, being the guy that people don't like was it was punk rock at the time.
Speaker 3: I mean as punk rock as the Marine Corps gets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, because we were we just figure out what we needed to do, and we were learning so much. That's another thing I love is a learning environment and a learning organization. Well we were like, okay, what, I don't know what I'm trying to Oh, perfect example. Uh, there's an SF colonel that I know and we just grew up in towns close to one Another's considerably older than me, but I grown up here in his name. So we're sitting in one of the seven AM staff meetings and we were talking about, uh, you know, uncommissional warfare. Well, none of us has ever done uncommisional warfare. This is not one of our miss I was like, well, I know SF guy over at Fort Bragg he's a retired colonel. You want to should we go talk to and people was like yeah, go. So we jumped on the truck and we drive to Fayetteville and literally sat in this guy's basement going through pubs and he's like, okay, take your notebook, guy by with through? Okay, with through. It sounds good. And that was, you know, kind of how we were working through all this stuff. We da sure, sr sure all day long, that kind of stuff. We were super strong on. But I had Iraqis with me on exactly one mission. Yeah, one mission in Al Qaim, and in my very you know again, I keep calling, keep calling myself immature, I was like, we're not doing that again. It was unilateral marines kicking indoors at two o'clock in the morning, m fours and flash bangs, and I was living out my Gi Joe fantasy.
Speaker 3: I now refer to that time as my Isis recruiting tour.
Speaker 1: But it there was a lot to learn, a lot to learn.
Speaker 2: During this time frame. Because it sounds like Secretary of Defense didn't leave you guys with a lot of guidance. How did the idea itself of Marsak kind of develop? Like you mentioned DASR. That makes sense because you guys came from Fort Recon. But then you w I mean, was there's this this idea that marines are going to do unconventional warfare?
Speaker 1: Now, so I think some of it. We had a group of really smart guys. There was a guy that I deployed with in that second Force deployment in four oh five named Jason Shauble. Jason got shot up badly enough that he got retired as a captain Silver Star recipient. In fact, on his retirement day he got a bronze star with a be a silver star, and I think a legion of merit, you know, which for a captain is his nuts.
Speaker 3: He became the GS fourteen Deputy.
Speaker 1: G three, which, if you know how GS fourteen's and fifteens are hired, those are typically retired lieutenant colonels and colonels. So there were a lot of grumpy faces when this pretty junior captain who hasn't off the charts GT score IQ score is suddenly the deputy G three. But so, I mean, we're tearing through, like the OSS Manual's Assessment of men, We're tearing through all those kind of pups and I'll be arrogant enough to say we had a hallway full of really smart men and women, and we had a lot of free thinkers, and we had a lot of people who really excited to be in on the ground floor of building the Marine Corps. So calm component and honored to get to do it. Like it was a really heady time. Like I said, I didn't have a kid, so it probably wasn't that big deal. But there were plenty of times where it was like, yeah, I slept four hours last night because I was here till all hours reading doctrine or writing this plan or writing this proposal, you know, and we're fighting. We're fighting use sock to get them to accept us. In some ways, we're fighting just old doctrine. We're fighting the Marine Corps. Everybody's interested in what you're doing because you're the new kid on the block.
Speaker 3: It was a it was a fabulous experience.
Speaker 2: When you look back on that period of your career or what, what are like the lessons learned, Like if you were to give some advice to some guys that are standing up a new unit today, what would be some of the big considerations that you wish you had known beforehand going into.
Speaker 1: It, no know the reality, know the doctrine. People say, doctrine is a starting point for your deviation, right, you cannot. You've got to be smarter than the guys who already excuse me, you may not be smarter. That's a matter of genetics. You've got better educated, there's one of the dogs. Sorry, you got to be better educated than the folks who may have been doing this for a long time, who may have gotten complacent. And so you walk into a room with folks and they're like, oh, here come the dumb Marines.
Speaker 3: And turns out that the dumb marines had done a whole lot.
Speaker 1: Of research, done a whole lot of talking to people, had done a whole lot of reading of history, and actually did know some of the stuff we were talking about, or at least knew it well enough to ask questions.
Speaker 3: And so it's a lot of work to be well educated.
Speaker 1: And when you walk into, you know, a room with folks are like, hey, man, I've been doing this for twenty five years and you're fifteen years into your career and you just got tasked to be me Like, good luck with that sport. You know? That was sometimes the adage. There were also guys who were very much like, hey, come on in more than marry or whatever you need, what do you want to learn? And so in that sense, the flip side of me saying you need to be better educated than the experts is you also need to know you don't actually know anything, So you need to be real ready to walk in and listen and ask questions. And if you lead with questions, the experts will often be willing then to listen, and both of you get to a place where your preparation meets with their expertise in a way that is productive for everyone. So I think that's a main one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think people enjoy answering questions about a career field or a job field that they feel they're very good at.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And you know, if you have lived up to the charge to be as well or better educated, because you can't be as experienced, you need to keep that in your back pocket. You don't need to tell anybody about it. Again, lead with questions because if you let experts be experts, and this is as I said earlier, I'm not an expert in anything but experts. Sometimes in my career I played that up. I think back, I was a unit XO at year twenty of my career. I'd managed to avoid it all the way. And now I'm a six is XO and I'm worried about things like truck maintenance. And I don't care about truck maintenance. I mean not much, certainly not passionate about it. But there were marines who did that kind of work and they were now you know, the marines that I'm dealing with. And so I would go to these meetings and I was ignorant, but I would absolutely play up my ignorance in a staff meeting full of like E three's, E four's, E fives, and I would, you know, really give try to give them a chance to be the experts and to educate me. And sometimes I'd intentionally ask really dumb questions so that they could laugh at me, because it just changed that dynamic a little bit. But you know, when we had the Marine Corps, I don't know, there's all these inspections right that the Marine Corps does on logistics or admin or whatever, and I was like, what's in? What's in? How do you get one hundred on this inspection? Well, so there's not one hundred. It's like, you know, I don't remember what the scoring system was. I was like, okay, but whatever in the scoring system is the closest thing to one hundred.
Speaker 3: It's what I want. How do we get it? And I let this master sergeant who's advising me be in charge of that.
Speaker 1: You tell me how we're going to get what I want, and then you tell me what you need me to do to assist you to make that happen, because you're the expert. I didn't even know a lot of the word. He would throw words out of it. I don't know what that means, and I would say it in front of the E three's and they all got a giggle out of it, but they also see I will and learn, and then like it was kind of a joke. But I'm like, hey, if you guys get a ninety five or veteran this exam, everybody's having a pizza party.
Speaker 3: And I realize a pizza party is.
Speaker 1: Like a meme now on LinkedIn, you know, and it should be right people do that instead of giving somebody a bonus. But one, you can't pay bonus, and two it was just a kind of a joke in those meetings all the time, but I will say about those Marines. Six months later we had a pizza party because they went to work, and that that's another thing I would say is true. If you're building an organization, you know, know what you don't know, figure out who does know it, and let that person be the expert.
Speaker 2: And after having this it sounds like a pretty you had a good time. Actually as a staff officer in mar sok. How did the Jaysck assignment come up?
Speaker 1: My buddy Ivan Ingram, who I know you've had on here, I haven't actually had been approached about doing that job and by the marine that was in it then, and he then got selected for command of Staff College. And you don't turn down residential command of Staff College. It's a top ten percent assignment. It's a good sign for your career. So Ivan's off to command of Staff and the guy said, well, do you know anybody else who you would recommend to do it? And I was like, yep, you're sitting right next to me, and I wanted it for a couple of reasons. My wife was actually the this is always funny. My wife was the lead attorney for the ACLU of North Carolina in Raleigh, and so we lived about fifty miles away from Bragg and like one hundred and twelve miles away from Le June. And then I had a little condo I crashed during the week, and so I wanted to move back. I wanted to live with and so an assignment at Fort Bragg was really goal one because I could, you know, it was reasonable commute, And then I really did want to go to Jaysack. I just wanted to see that, have that experience, and learn those things, because by now I feel like I had kind of turned as a professional when I finally acknowledged and Marine Corps did not exist to feed my adventure sports habit or to give me something to write about someday. It exists to support the national security ends and means of the United States of America, and Worth Parker's particular feelings about actual assignments are completely immaterial within that construct. But I was blessed to make the Jaysock thing happen, and I went over and interviewed over there and got selected for that, and I really did have a wonderful three years and make some really good friends who you know, I'm still in contact with now.
Speaker 2: Any lessons learned from that experience that you brought with you back to the Marine Corps countless.
Speaker 1: I got to watch the Ranger Regiment in action, and I am an unabashed fan of the seventy fifth Ranger Regiment and Rangers in general. And I've worked with, you know, all of the folks in that constellation and got to watch a ton of people work.
Speaker 3: And I read somebody saying the other day, and I don't.
Speaker 1: Remember who it was, friend of mine, but my memory fails me these days, saying, you want to know the best military formation in the US government or in the Department of War. Now, it is the seventy fifth Ranger Regiment. There is no question, hands down that it is uniformly the finest. And for years I've been a guy eighth Marines, seventy fifth Ranger Regiment. There's no difference. Man, It's a marine infantry regiments as good as well. Maybe it could be maybe if it were resourced that way. But a friend of mine who had come from Jaysck that I worked for in the G three at Marsack, named Chris Naylor, Chris pose that to me one day. He's like, where do you think of Marine infantry regiments as good as the Rangers. And I was like, absolutely, of course. And he's like, Okay, if we go down to first Battalion, eighth Marines right now, does every Marine have a set of nods? No? Probably the fire team leaders, in the squad leaders, Okay, they're not night capable. Everybody in the eighty seconds got one, and certainly everybody in the seventy fifth got a pair. That that alone. I mean, when you start pinging dollars to doughnuts and training capabilities, you learn that, you know, it's not the Civil War.
Speaker 5: Argument one rabble can whip thirteen Yankees with a cornstalk.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, that's the equivalent argument we would have about.
Speaker 5: One marine can whip five Rangers. Why could you win to boot camp for thirteen months or thirteen weeks. But when you start becoming a pro and you realize that your job is to do what the machine needs you to do and do it as well as humanly possible, then I think.
Speaker 1: You're you're really where you need to be. And I went to Jaysok, and I watched a place where everyone does what they're supposed to do as well as humanly possible. And I really really really enjoyed my time there, But the way I got there is because I even made it happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something to be said for that that. You know, people love to make these comparisons between this unit and that unit, and like Force Recon wasn't technically a special ops unit, But that's not a ding on the guys, like they're terrific marines. It's just they weren't resourced the way you talk about.
Speaker 1: The organized under special If I'm one hundred percent honest to you, I felt far more elite as a platoon commander at Second Force or Confissence Company than I did in any of my SoC ON formations. Yeah. I think some of that is just you know, size of the organization and maybe the I don't know what I do know what the right word is, but TBI is stealing it from me right this minute. We'll call it cool fact, and I'll be embarrassed later by saying it. But you know, being a force free con guy was cool. Yeah, yeah, kind of. That was an apex kind of assignment and so that felt awesome. And when you walked into the chow haul at al Con, everybody knew you were the forced guys. Everybody knew you were the guys who were out hooking a jab in every night. But again, if you're a pro, you also were able to look at that and go, yeah, we were hooking a jab and every night. But you guys dropping around in the broad daylight waiting to eat at one five five or one five two.
Speaker 3: Right, there's no distinction. But to my mind between you.
Speaker 1: Who's got more heart, more mojo, more guts, more honor? I mean picked the thing. You know, we fought between about eleven o'clock at night and five am, and we did that for a very specific reason. It's because the threat was lower where and because our targets were asleep in bed and it's easier to snatch them out of bed. But I just have so much love and appreciation for the eleven, Bravo, the three eleven and associated in the wests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot of people also don't appreciate the you know, having a strategic global lift capability and having special ops aviation units makes a huge difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's another thing. I remember one of the generals when I was at Jaysak was saying, like, you know, it's It's one thing to be in the one seventy third out in a fob on top of a hill and to fight from that or a cop right problem. It's another thing to be a formation in a task force where you have AGE sixty four's overhead and then there's F eighteen's overhead that or see one AC one thirties, and then there's B one bravos, and then there's m Q nine's and then and then and then, and they're just stacked to the heavens in support of you.
Speaker 3: I went out as a force freet compluatoon.
Speaker 1: I usually had either a section of.
Speaker 3: A Hui and a mixed section of Huy and cobra and supporting me.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I had an Fateen or an Ava B section flying and supported me. And they were usually just like flickering with lightning pods to help give me itg to targets and that sort of thing. But they were there again. Second Lieutenant Empty Frats and the squad that he happens to be rolling with that day in a homby, and in two thousand and four they were the same hummers. I mean, I've cried tears a number of times because when I got there there were these mobile assault platoons running around, and they really just were reorganized counter armor assault team platoons in fiberglass backed hombies, and those were the weapons we were going to fight in the fold the gap with with toes and you know, the sanded fiberglass back. And I can remember talking to one of those marines after they'd gotten back from a mission. They had rolled out in response a QRF response to another vehicle that had hit a landmine and a marine had lost his leg. The QRF rolled out, they hit a land mine, another marine lost his leg. I drove round in unarmored vehicles. Except for the fact that a guy and I call him a real life hero, and he did get an award with a combat V on it, who was our motor tea chief at Second Force. And I think that guy stayed up for like four straight days cutting up that mac kid armor with an a settling torch and welding it onto the underside of our humbies Wow, which was the only armor we had. And that guy cut armor until every tip burned out on those cutters. And then the guy who was the orthopedist in the mass unit that was right outside my doorway got on the phone. He was a reservist, got on the phone, called home to Oregon, woke somebody up and was like, hey, here's my credit card number. Go to the ACE Hardware and by every cutting torch head you can get and fedexit to me here.
Speaker 3: Now, that guy is what made it happen, you know, that sort of.
Speaker 1: Stuff, going back kind of like to my showing up at Campbell jun and having no training. That kind of stuff is what I feel like those stories of Americans need to understand. Yeah, because your tax dollars go to make sure that you don't have that problem.
Speaker 3: We're on a much softer note. I didn't have pillows for my marines.
Speaker 1: Like, we're all just sleeping on these crappy Jordanian racks that somebody bought in mass.
Speaker 3: And that bent within two nights of sleeping on them. So you're like sleeping in.
Speaker 1: A taco And I hit my mom up and I was like, Mom, I don't we don't have pillows. So she went on a buying spree and boxes start showing up with applatoons, pillows. Yeah, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I.
Speaker 1: Guess the lesson learned there is think through resourcing before you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, things come together because somebody cared enough to make it come together, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And from there you went to a small office in the Pentagon, a SOCOM office, And I didn't know anything about this, I don't think until we spoke about it earlier. Could you tell us about that assignment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm happy as you there were in revening assignments.
Speaker 1: I came back from Jaysack and I was the G three X at Marsak, and then I was the sot or I deployed. I deployed after that G three X tour, and I was the J five at c Jisota, Afghanistan's right came back. I was the XO at the Marine Raider Training Center for two years, which actually was a blast. And then I went up to excuse me to DC and you know, this is again a lesson learned, right. I had been called by some guys in Tampa in an office down there at SOCOM headquarters, and they said, hey, do you want to come work on this program with us down here? And I was like absolutely, because I'm pretty sure this is going to be my last or my second to last job. I'm never going to get promoted past lieutenant colonel. I was really lucky to be a lieutenant colonel. But with eight years break in service, I am never going to be a colonel in the Marine Corps. So I need to start thinking about the next phase of life. So I was all about this gig down in Tampa, and then the deputy commander, who is a friend of mine of this day, calls me. He's like, hey, brother, come up my office. So I go up there and he's like, and I know you want to go to that thing in Tampa. I was like, yeah, I really do. And you know, my wife's cool with Tampa. I just I think that'd be good. He says, all right, Well, the thing is, I got a job that I have to fill in d C. So you know, when you hit on ninety five, turn right instead of left, and I need you to go go to d C. And at that point in my life, I used to call myself mars Sox Mikey and if you remember the old life checks commercials where they give it to Mikey Hilly did anything. And I knew who I was at that point. I knew what my job was at that point, and I was mature enough to accept that reality. And say, Okay, you need a guy who will go up and do a good job on behalf of the command and make the command look, you know, at least adequate and competent. But you don't have to spend a guy who's going to be a battalion commander and the regimental commander and that sort of thing on this job. I'm your utility player, got it, No worries understood. And I said that without anger or rancord, like I knew who I was at that point. I've been through all the whatever, the six stages of grief and figured out you also paid your dues though, yeah, I mean, and look, I was really blessed.
Speaker 3: I got to do a ton of stuff I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: A lot of people went out of their way in my career to make it possible for me to have things I wanted and to do things that I wanted to do, with the understanding that I had some limitation that I had imposed on myself at twenty three years old when I said, I'm not coooting what I want, so I'm going to reserves.
Speaker 3: And I don't regret that I loved going to law school.
Speaker 1: Living in Tallahassee Florida has opened avenues for me twenty years later as a writer, you know.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, I don't have any regrets in now in retirement.
Speaker 1: Certainly there were some wailing and gnashing of teeth when I was an active dude to the lieutenant colonel, but that's the way it goes. So yeah, I ended up in DC and I checked in and they're like, hey, I thought I was going up there to do a liaison job with the Joint Staff J five and the office direct who was a retired guy like hey, for the first year, you're going to be the executive officer to the Vice commander of SOCOM, and that will teach you to lay of the land up here, teach you the Pentagon. You really do have to learn the building. And that's a term of art. You gotta learn the physical building, but you gotta learn the denizens of the building. And so, okay, Roger that I'm marine. I so I was the EXO for Tom Trask for the first year. Lieutenant General Tom Trask, Great American Silver Star recipient. If you ever see the picture from Desert Storm of the PJ out the back of a fifty a H fifty three rescuing a down.
Speaker 3: Pilot like about to pull him in. Tom Trask is flying that.
Speaker 1: Bird and there's a whole real heroic story behind that that, you know, he gets the Silver Star for. But as there was a truckload of Iraqi's inbound to snatch that dude, he put the bird between the pilot and the truck, and you know, and they loaded him up and got him out of there. Well in eight ten the truck. But I worked for him for a year and then a guy named Lieutenant General Scott Howell, who later commanded Jaysack, came in and another phenomenal human being. I call that three years my Air Force Appreciation Tour. I'm, you know, I'm the savage Marine working for these you know Air Force dudes.
Speaker 3: They were all AFSC pilots, they were all fifty three pilots, they had all served together in the same squadron.
Speaker 1: I just learned a whole lot about culture and people and appreciating other people. And Scott Howel was a good friend of mine to this day. I've called him for help, counsel, advice, or just hey, how you doing. And it's certainly the only three star that I engaged with. It that way.
Speaker 3: But then so I loved working for him.
Speaker 1: And then he got selected for Jay Sock and went on down and took command there, and I went to work for Lieutenant General Jim's Life, who until relatively recently was the Vice.
Speaker 3: Chief of Staff of the Air Force, And that was another great experience.
Speaker 1: That was a guy that's a guy who you know would pull you into his office and he was explaining why he's doing things what he's doing because he really felt like his job was to develop the people under him to become him. And you know, I had to kind of the first time you did that with me, I was like, sure, you got to understand the reality, like, I'm never going to be a colonel, much less a three star. I'm just gonna work super hard for you and I'm gonna do as good a job as I can do for you. But you don't need to waste any personal development credits on me because it's not going to pay off. And to his great credit, he still did because he's somebody that develops, you know, his subordinates. He also likes really good music bands I never would have expected a three star to be into. So that was super cool.
Speaker 2: Can you explain how what that office does and how it works in conjunction with so common Tampa.
Speaker 1: Sure, so you have the four star Commander h of SOCOM, and then you have a deputy commander who's a three star who sits in Tampa and he's basically the guy who's over worldwide ops and he reports obviously to the commander, but he kind of guides all the ops related stuff, operations, intel, you know, talking to subordinate units, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And then you have the Vice Commander in d C.
Speaker 1: He lives in d C. He sits in a small office in the Pentagon, and his job is to interface with all the personalities up in d c U and within the building itself, and to also be the guy who oversees resourcing, money, acquisitions, you know, technology and logistics, the J eight in particular. And then like I say, soft ATNL, the developmental stuff within SOCOM. He's in charge of that, he or she and uh.
Speaker 3: And so that was the developmental path UH.
Speaker 1: For Trask who retired out of there, so Howell who took Jasack out of there, and then Slife who took assoc before becoming by Chief Staff of the Air Force.
Speaker 2: And this office is separate from ASD Soliic, Yes.
Speaker 1: But very much interfaced with a SC solic When when Oen West, who was a fellow forceriecon Marine, was ASD Solick, we would go, you know, sit with him once a week and have a standing meeting. And I always had fun with that because we were both forced guys, and you know, it was like, he's the ASD. But hey, Worth, what's up. Let's talk about running or something, you know, just two forced guys. It's cool.
Speaker 2: But before we move on from this time frame, anything you want to say about like working as the J five at the c Josoda some of those other experiences you said were very positive.
Speaker 1: Once I grew up and matured and was able to open my eyes to what can I learn here, you know, rather than I you know everything. So let me just shut down my brain because these people are wasting my time until I can get what I want. I worked for a phenomenal commander named Chris Riga, and I adored working for Chris Riga. You talk about a guy who empowered his subordinates to just run. I will never forget this guy. Like right after he took command of the seat of soda. If we're having one of our morning stand ups. He comes walking in. We do the whole stand up. Everybody on the jock floor stands up and says their thing, and we get to the end and Rigo, who's got like this super kind of, you know, cool whole demeanor about him, but he's like, hey, so who here does something that they think is stupid? And everybody's kind of like me. He's like, Okay, here's what I want you to do. I want you to stop doing that thing, and if the next higher headquarters doesn't call you on it within the next seven days, never do that thing again. And I just was like, this guy was on I think his thirteenth rotation in Afghanistan. I was working with him. I was working with a guy from third they were he was a third Group homeboy, now in command a seventh group, and so the j three was a really great dude who had lost one leg in a suicide bombing in Pakistan, and he was a real live, tough guy and deployed with one amputated leg and one messed up leg, and he trained so hard and ran so hard every day on the treadmill that he's jacked up his other leg. And they had to take off that foot, so they sent him home. But I mean, he was just a really impressive, hard, dedicated, brave dude, and so they brought in another guy. We had a third group guy named Dave Haskell, who had been one of Riga's oh DA commanders when Rego was an AOB commander and was now chief of Staff of the Cajus OTIF. We had a guy named Jason Johnston who is the single finest military officer I've ever worked with in any service. Jason came over to be the j three. He had been one of Riga's AOB commanders when uh excuse me, ODA commanders when Riga was an AOV commander, and then he and Haskell were AOB commanders for RIGA at first Battalion, third Group, and then Jason ended up taking first Battion, third Group, and then ultimately taking third Group. But I've said it to Jason, I said, it's gone to people, the single best military officer of any service or capability I have ever worked with is Jason Johnston, who recently retired out of the Army. So the phenomenal people just phenomenal, and I've it was a it was a really really special deployment. And the folks that I was working with in the J five like and and a lot. I you know, I had one Special four aficer, I had a Seal staff n C and I and I had an EOD guy.
Speaker 3: And I think those were my only so calm, homegrown folks.
Speaker 1: Probably the most effective guy was my URSA, who was a CAV officer that's an operational research and systems analysis guy that the Army gives you, basically a designated smart guy. He's a PhD now. But the guy had done forty eight months in back in Baghdad and Mosl, et cetera. As a CAV guy. He had written a Metal of Honor citation if that tells you the level of combat he had seen. So he was like a real legit tough guy. It was just a really really really good team. So super deployment, you know, and I say all the time, I said to you before we started recording, you know, I got one combat deployment and two deployments to combat zones, and it's two very different things. And I like to be very very clear about that because there were plenty of young Marines who were out there, you know, I met him in the intervening you who were putting tourniquets on their arms and legs before they went out on patrol because they just knew somebody was gonna need these today. Meanwhile, I had plenty of coffee and cliff bars and you know whatever else rip its of the thirteen months I spent at Bagram. You know, I was no kind of hero in Afghanistan.
Speaker 2: So twenty twenty one, you had already kind of figured out or determined for yourself. I'm not going to be a general, but your retirement is kind of coming up. I mean, was there like trepidation about that? I mean, you were in the court for a long time.
Speaker 1: I was, but you know I bounced out, I bounced back in. I knew the reality of the situation. I say now to guys, because I do a lot of talking to marines at the fifteen to twenty year mark, the worst thing a marine does is get out too early or too late. I did both, and I mean I didn't get out with any bitterness. It was just well past time when, like when guys you raised as captains are starting to get named as battalion commanders, it's time for you to go away, And I also believed in the organizational development of MARSOC. You know, we were a hodgepodge in the early days of MARSOK. You know, you were either a prior force guy or you weren't right either at Jump and Jump Wings on Dog Bubble or you didn't. And there were a number of guys who came. So I know this isn't where we are, but I'm gonna go back in time. Sure. You know, when MARSOCK commenced, it was formed out of First and Second Force Recon Companies, which were the haves, and then the Foreign Military Training Unit, which was a Marine Corps stood up organization that my buddy Pete Petronzio the second Force commander and the G three was the CEO of And the way that thing got filled was, hey, everybody that speaks the languages coming to Campbell's Union. That's also an O three XX infantry guy, and they're now trainers. It's sort of I mean, it was much like an as FAB, probably realizingly, and a lot of it got pulled out of Fourth Marine Expeditionary Brigade, which was an ad hoc unit that got started again, like, hey, everybody, kick ups some marines, we're making a MEP, which then turned into everybody kick ups, some marines, we're making an FMTU. And so there were some really amazing marines with some amazing capabilities and stories, but there all were also were some guys where was like, oh, yeah, you're gonna go be soft now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, go ahead, and so there you know, the I think a critical thing going back to the question about how do you stand up a new unit.
Speaker 1: You all need to have a common bloodline. And you know, I was a forced guy, but I didn't go to ITC. Maybe this guy went to selection, but he didn't go to ITC.
Speaker 3: This guy went to selection and ITC.
Speaker 1: This guy never went to any of it because he was grandfathered in in two thousand and whatever. The best thing that happened, no matter the quality and performance and look, some of the dudes that came in in the initial draft did unbelievable things in combat in Afghanistan, in Africa, in any number of places.
Speaker 3: They burnished the unit's legacy with honor, no question.
Speaker 1: But the best thing is that guys like me retired out so that now you see a marcycle lieutenant colonel, you know exactly where it came from and how he got there and that matters.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right, So you retire and what within a month or two Afghanistan is collapsing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I retired on June thirtieth of twenty twenty one, and I jumped in an RV with my ten year old daughter. And I got that idea from Pat McCauley, who was the CSMI socom And I was talking to him on day about what are you gonna when you retire CSM I'm going to drive around this country that I've been defending, you know, with various units for the last thirty years. And he was a marine who jumped to the army, and I'm gonna go see this countryside. And I said, that sounds like an amazing way to kind of wash all this out of your system. So I rent this little C class RV. I don't know how to drive an RV, and I throw my daughter in it and we start driving and we drive twelve thousand miles and my wife medicine Bozeman and came to rest of the way home to Wilmington, North Carolina, where I lived. But I was very studiously avoiding Afghanistan because you know, I was obsessed with it for years. For whatever reason. I'm way more passionate about Afghanistan than Iraq. But I I would pick up little bits of data, you know, my daughter's sleeping and I'm reading the news or whatever in the RV and it would be like, hey, Lashkar guy fail to the Taliban. No shit again, you know, ninth Commando KANDAC will go down there and sort that out, and then it'll happen again next year whatever. And by the time I got home on I think August, yeah, August fifth, or August, August tenth or twelfth, I don't know what it was. I got home and the Taliban were at the gates of Cobble, and it had already gotten my attention. When they took Mizari Sharief, I was like, I took mez what? And so I started paying attention. But now I'm starting this new life. And I had started writing before I retired, so I kind of had a good glide path as a writer. And I was going on my very first real life go somewhere and write something assignment. And my job was I was going to go out to western North Carolina and I was going to do some flat fishing in the tuck of cig and some other stuff, you know, and anyway, go out there and write about it. Okay, cool, Well, we were having a hurricane off the coast of North Carolina. The outer bands are out there. Mountains are collapsing, like entire sides of mountains are falling into the river. Bodies are floating down the river. It feels like the apocalypse. I'm staying with a buddy of mine who's an author and magazine writer who lives in a cabin on top of a mountain in the boondocks of North Carolina. He has no phone service and he can text when he has internet. And I got a message the day before I left from this lance corporal in the Reserves who had been an Afghan interpreter for seven years before he migrated over here and got citizenship and joined the Marine Corps. And he's like, Sir, my dad is with the Special Mission Wing in Cobble and my brother is an interpreter with them. My mom and little brother are living there with them, and I'm afraid they're going to get killed. Can you help me? And I'm like, dude, I'm a middle manager, bro, what do you you know? And I'm retired, but okay, let me see what I can do. When a lance corporal asked lieutenant colonel to do something, you figure it out. So I'm thinking on this and I started reaching out. My buddy was the new commander at the airport, and I do a couple of folks on his staff as well, and I knew some other people, and so I was just kind of attention. But I also was watching this guy, Tom Schumann, who runs patrol based Abatte. He's a Marine lieutenant colonel now who'd been trying to get his turp out for really ten years, but he got real aggressive during the evac so he ends up above the fold in the New York Times. And you know, Tom's are really really capable, really really thoughtful, organized human being. He's also tall and good looking, so that helps. But there he is, and he's running this amazing guerrilla campaign in the media to try and get his guy out. So I call him on Facebook messenger phone from the top of a mountain in the middle of a hurricane. I've never talked to him in my life, and I'm like, hey, dude, I think I got a way to get your boy out. And you know. A few weeks later we well, a few months later, we inked deal to write the book about him and his turp, and then we got the family out of the Marine lance corporal as well, so that started it. I drove back across North Carolina from the far West to where I live on the far eastern end. I had my daughter with me, and I started calling guys like Mick mulroy and hey, man, what are we going to do? How are we going to help affect this situation? My ten year old learned a whole lot new ways to say the F word because they were a day on the speaker in the car. And by the time I got back, we had organized a group to try and do some eback. But the truth of the matter is we were ineffective because it was a bunch of old dudes. It was like a bunch of colonels and ambassadors and you know Mint from the agency. People say there's a certain age where you get too old and you forget how to do work.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's true. We were willing to work. You just forget.
Speaker 1: You don't know how mechanisms and systems work anymore below you because you're so used to tasking the systems to do things. And so eventually a guy named Jim Webb, who you know, Senator Webb's kid and a journalist hooked me up with a guy named Joe Sabo, who's you know at this point, he's probably forty now. And Joe was actually being effective. He was young. He was a recently separated captain who was working in tech, and he had a bunch of dudes just like him, and they were making it happen on the ground. And I talked to him and I was good. I was again, let's talk about ego, you know, I call him up to blow him away with my resume and that of all my friends and how important we are and how many connections we have.
Speaker 3: And I did just that thing, and he handled me like a pro.
Speaker 1: He was like, that's amazing. I never thought I'd be talking to guys like you with these amazing resumes. I was like, all right, now, who are you? You know? And he's like, well, we've got eighty volunteers and you hear like a voice off to the side. He's like, sorry, a hundred volunteers and you know, we're organizing training and we've got a virtual Jock set up and we're organizing sticks on the ground so that we can get people onto airplanes. And I was like, what do you need? We need somebody to bust roadblocks administratively. I was like, well, okay, that's the one thing we can do for you. And so that way, you know, I and my fellow what they started calling gray beards, because that was the last time I had this beard. We were like, okay, got it. Yeah, we know the deputy unders and the assistants and the you know, vice commanders and whatever on the ground, we can help with that. And so that was our utility and cobble.
Speaker 2: How long did that process go on with you guys the evacuation effort?
Speaker 1: About two weeks. That felt like two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just awake round the clock. Yeah, it was really hard. I say this now.
Speaker 3: I did before I retired.
Speaker 1: I went to the Intrepid Spirit Clinic for five weeks for TBI along with a bunch of other guys. And I had, over the course of my career, you know, sent many marines to see the psych and I was like, yeah, go man, it's totally cool. It's just like seeing a physical therapist or whatever else. In my head, I was like, for you, yeah, not for me, right, And then a buddy of mine I respect very very much from a very elite military formation, made it okay. And then I went to that program. I still didn't do it. And then I went to that program where it was just part of the game and you got to do it. And so I've kept seeing the same psych ever since. And the cob believe that was the only time in my life where I called to clinic because like, I got some shit I'm going to need to get ahead of. Because I had people calling me twenty four to seven, you know, my brother's getting murdered, or texting me pictures of you know, this is my father, he's dead. Can you get my uncle out, you know whatever? And it was just like I got to where when the little ding from the WhatsApp would go off, I would flinch.
Speaker 3: I learned to turn that thing off. I've never turned it back on. But it was a rough man.
Speaker 1: It was a rough time, but people did amazing things, none more so than the Afghans.
Speaker 2: The book that you worked on that came out of that is called Always Faithful People Good.
Speaker 1: That's out now, right, Oh yeah, it's been out since twenty two. I had to write one hundred and ten thousand words in four months.
Speaker 3: And get that out. Came out for Harper.
Speaker 1: Somebody optioned the movie rights before we even wrote the book.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think anything's ever come of that.
Speaker 1: But it's a good book. It's a good surmount of parochial obviously, but it's a really good story. How about that. Without evaluating the merit of the writing, it's a great story.
Speaker 2: And with the writing you today do a couple writing workshops with veterans, one in North Carolina and another at a TBI clinic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do so. I got asked by a therapist in Asheville, North Carolina, to start an Eastern Carolina version of a program that the North Carolina Veterans Writing Alliance, which also operates as Brothers and Sisters like these is a bunch of Vietnam nets had started doing a writing therapy program at the VA in Asheville. They asked me to start it in Eastern Carolina. I could not get anybody to sign up for a in person writing thing just and I went on a tour. I hit every hit the VA, I hit every Veterans organization like, this is free, just want ten of you whatever. Nobody's biden. So I went on my Instagram account and was like, hey, here's what I'm going to do. If anybody wants to come on zoom and be part of it, you can. And so we're starting our fourth iteration of that on October first. It's eight weeks, it's Wednesday nights, it's free from I think we were doing it seven to eight thirty. I think this time around, I've got a number of repeat players, I got a number of new folks. And that one is a wide array of people, but it is wide open to anybody with a DD two fourteen or an active duty person and by active duty I mean serving guards person ever. And then I do one at the TBI Clinic from whence I came, and that is a four week version of the eight week group that I do, and that is an all active duty crowd. That's the cohorts going through the TBI clinic program. And both of them are deeply rewarding for similar and different reasons.
Speaker 2: Is the kind of intent to just help these people with whatever their project is, or like, are you trying to use writing as sort of I know there's a term the VA does when they have you, like, write about your experiences some sort of therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we call it writing therapy. I tell them all the time, I'm not here to make write, make you writers. I'm here to make veterans right, because there's people that just need to unload stuff. And I've had like again, I think one of my active duty groups I had and it was a room full of real, live, tough guys. Like Actually the battalion that Tom Schuman about whom I wrote the book, one of the two people that were the book. It was third battying fifth Marines, dark Horse in twenty ten, and saying in dark Horse had the most injuries of any infantry battalion in the Afghani War. They had I think twenty five or twenty six marines killed. They had north of one hundred and ten one hundred and twenty single, double and trimple amputees. They had massive stuff. I had a guy who'd been a squad leader in that now he's a sertant major. He'd done multiple deployments to include that one, and I remember him, you know, just crying while he was reading. And it's an environment in which you're sitting around a table with raiders and seals and recon marines and amphibious friconk Corman and whatever, and nobody's looking at that guy weird because he's crying because they know exactly where he's coming from and would never ever deign to question it. Right. And then the guy whose cabin I was in that night on top of that mountain and barely able to communicate while trying to coordinate the evacuation evacuated, have a family from Cobble. That guy's a six foot five two and forty pounds country boy, no military history, the exact opposite, probably, But one thing he said to me about writing, He's like, if you want to be a writer, you got to be fearless and vulnerable. And I now think about that all the time, and I think about that in leadership, I think about that in writing. I think the success I've had, what success I've had as a writer, is because I took that to heart. You know, two years ago, I never would have said on a podcast, yeah, I go see it's like every four to six weeks. But I say that now because I hope somebody else will. And you know, it's like Kevin a paid best friend. I don't actually have a whole lot of stuff to talk about, but you know whatever, we chat and so I think fearlessness and vulnerability are critical to authentic leading to authentic writing, to authentic much of anything, and that that all came out of that time.
Speaker 2: I think we have a viewer question for your worth? Uh do you got that one up day?
Speaker 1: Give me one where you mentioned your Instagram?
Speaker 2: Where can people find you on social media?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I've got my personal one, which unless you want to see pictures of my dog, you probably don't want to follow that one. It's it's at Worth dot Parker at w O R t H dot p A R k R. But I started one about books, primarily about conflict books and war books, certainly ones I think that don't get enough attention. But it's at Bookwar So it's B zero zero O K W A R And I do a lot of book reviews there. I do a lot of just talking every now and then I'll you know, I'll be like, oh, some young marines need to hear this, and then I'll get on there and you know, rip for three minutes. But it's it's good. I mean, I get some nice feedback on it and whatever there is people can reach out to me there. I've had folks hit me up with, you know, literature questions, but also to y gosh, you were a marine for a long time, what do you think about this?
Speaker 2: It's awesome?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: We got a question from easy Is there anything you would like to see change in today's military and training structure or ethically?
Speaker 1: I think an ethical military is the distinction between us and savagery. I think that when you give up that aspect of your military force, you are giving up yourself and moreover, you're giving up the future of those service members. That's a great question, and I'm going to dig deeper into it than that the person may have thought, you know, they were asking for. You have an obligation as a leader to prepare your marine sailor service members what have you for the rest of their lives? And if you allow them to do things in a time in their life when their bodies and minds will allow them to that are outside the pale of humanity, they're going to contend with that stuff for the rest of their lives. I've had one marine from my platoon kill himself in the intervening years since we got back from Iraq. That wasn't entirely surprising to me. Tom Schumann, about whom I wrote the book, got deep into this, which is how Patrol Basi Ibata came to exist. And what he figured out is that the two things that are really contributing to vets suicide after his rifle company had I think three marines killed themselves in one week, is loss of connection number one when you get out. And then number two something that I think is incredibly pernicious and is the I was just a fication of veterans. Well, I was only a heavy equipment operator. I wasn't a sealed team six door kicker. So clearly I can't have problems. Yeah you do, buddy, and it's okay, and there's things that exist there for you. But you go back to the question they're asking. You have to keep guys within the left and right limits of morality and just war. And I've studied just war a lot in law school and since, because why while you know there's plenty of people who are like, it's war, man, you do anything you want, take a tumult. Two guys face in moments of exigency sure. You know, if you and I are fighting for our lives at the moment, I got zero problems smashing your head in with a rock. Once you are secured and the fight is over, I have all the problems in the world with anybody even contemplating that rock. And I think so. I do think ethics and morality training absolutely matter because there's a real difference between a soldier and I use that term with a small s in a very generic sense, between being a soldier and being a savage.
Speaker 3: And while I realized there's a really dumb T shirt culture out.
Speaker 1: There that thinks, you know, savagery is badass, most of those people have probably never truly whooped it on and they certainly probably never seen somebody's lower jaws slide off their face after you shot them a bunch.
Speaker 2: Yah, maybe there's but given the rate of veteran suicides we have, I think it's good to have a little bit of humility, Like, maybe we're gonna sideline the vet bro T shirts for a moment. We might not be so bad ass if we're having all these problems, and we should address those problems.
Speaker 1: Well, And what even is bad ass?
Speaker 2: Like, what does it mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I say to people all the time, especially when I do these therapy groups. You take me in slices. I'm anybody you need me to be, stereotype wise, And I wrote about this earlier. I'm doing story core for NPR tomorrow and they wanted to ask me how I identify and I am. Let's see, I'm a straight white male with a Southern accent. I have more guns in my gun cabinet than I actually know how many I have. I write about hunting and fishing for a living. I drive a four wheel drive pickup truck, and my main hangout partner is a laborator retriever. So that's one dude. My wife is an ACLU, former acl YOU lawyer and longtime civil libertarian. I'm pretty strongly engaged in civil libertarians. Most of the bands I listen to are definitively left of center. I am a former or at least i'm a licensed attorney myself, you know, Like how I'm anti death penalty?
Speaker 3: Like how do you characterize someone?
Speaker 1: And we're in this place in America where characterize someone by their whatever their optic is, right, you know, And so my only point there is you can't. And so when we start talking about what's a badass. Well, the most badass marine that I've ever served with, and I you know, as a redneck from the South, is a Manhattanite, half Jewish guy whose dad was liberated out of Auschwitz. And the guy's a straight dynamo and combat He's a straight student of the game. There is literally no one I would prefer to have by my side, in front of me or behind me in a gunfight. He's also absolutely a left wing Democrat, and he's a straight killer in a gunfight. But there are people who maybe would think to be badass, you can't be but one or the other, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes us uncomfortable that to have these multiple identities within you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think in America we're failing right now to understand. And I don't know the why of that. I don't know what social ill to ascribe it to, and it's probably you know, fifty or sixty social ills, but uh, it just the real point is people are complex, and you know, as a culture, we've got to address that. But within our veterans culture, when we try to simplify everything, well, he's worth partner, he's a force riekan guy and a raider. Okay, cool, he's worth partner. He's a freelance writer, you know, who occasionally breaks into tears when he looks his daughter, Like, who who is that guy? He's all of those guys, right, And so when we try to define ourselves as one or the other, we're a incredibly limiting and b putting a whole lot of constraints on other people that are not effective or helpful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, absolutely worth. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences with us. Is there any final thoughts, anything that we didn't cover that you'd like to get into tonight?
Speaker 1: You know, Like you say, anybody who's interested in writing therapy can reach out to me at that book where Instagram. I just need an email address and I'll get folks on it. But I think, you know, as I said in one of my random email or Instagram rants the other day, like you're enough, Like whatever your deal is, you're enough. If you threw your hand in the air and showed up to MEPs and you served three years and you never left Fort Irwin, you're enough. Yeah, you'd more than ninety nine point five percent of the country. And if you got shot at in the process, she did more than ninety nine point nine nine nine percent of the country as far as serving her art, the nation and her interests. And I think the more we recognize that and the more we reach out and go, that's the unifying factor that we have. You know, I probably have more in common with somebody with whom I'm diametrically politically opposed who also served than I do with somebody who's working on control in the narrative and didn't. But that sounds more conspiracy theorists than I mean too.
Speaker 2: We will have some links down the description to these different things in your social media that you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Worth.
Speaker 2: We'll stick all that down there in the description for folks that want to check it out. Everyone, thank you for joining us tonight. Thank you Worth for sharing some of your evening with us. I know the dog is getting the dog questions.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of blown away by that fact.
Speaker 2: What questions.
Speaker 1: I note that there were people out there asking questions in real time kind of blows me away. So thank you to those people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate whoever wrote that question into us. And Worth stay in touch and we'll talk next time.
Speaker 1: Okay. I'll look forward to it.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll see you guys next time as well. Hey, guys, I want to tell all of you today about a new newsletter that we're launching that encompasses both the team House podcast, the eyes On podcast, and the high Side news outlet, which I run with Sean Naylor. The newsletter is going to be once a week. It's going to come into your inbox and you're going to get the most current podcasts on eyes On and the Teamhouse and whatever's topical or current on the high Side. So it's another way for us to get the information out to you as social media algorithms are pretty iffy and you never really know what you're gonna get. So this is a once a week e mail. It'll slide into your inbox and it will have you know the greatest hits of that week.
Speaker 1: It's really good. Checking it out.
Speaker 2: The website for it is Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com, slash Join Teamhouse Podcast dot kit dot com slash join.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You go there and you enter into your email list, or you enter your email into the little thing on the website and you're good to go and that'll be it. So we really appreciate your support and I hope you'll consider signing.
Speaker 1: Up the link.
Speaker 2: The link will also be down in the description if you're looking for it. There, and that's Teamhouse Podcast, dot kit k I, t Kilo India, Tango dot Com, Backslash, Join