Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Hurricane Milton, Guys, is a five now major five category storm, one hundred and sixty miles per hour sustained wins. They do believe it will de intensify by the time it hits Florida on Wednesday, but it's going to rea peach peak intensity tomorrow morning. If you're not at peak intensity at a five, what does that mean.
Speaker 2: Five plus five plus I guess I don't know. We're never going to go to the green zone. I saw there is no green. There is no green.
Speaker 3: I saw an ABC meteorologist this morning who suggested we need new we need a new scale. Basically, yeah, that the storms like this are going to be more frequent and they're going to be even stronger.
Speaker 2: So it is a category five.
Speaker 3: And to give you an idea of how quickly this thing intensified this morning, at four hour time, they upgraded it from a category two to a three, two hours later from a three to a four, and then three hours after that, just before nine o'clock here, they upped it from a category four to a category five.
Speaker 1: Fifteen million people under flood watches, eleven million at risk for tropical tornadoes tomorrow and Wednesday. They expect this thing to make landfall Wednesday from six pm Eastern to midnight as a strong category three. Wow.
Speaker 3: This is Governor Ron DeSantis. He again has been busy for the last couple of weeks with hurricane prep and hurricane recovery, now hurricane prep again.
Speaker 4: The executive order that I signed over the weekend also orders all disaster to breed management sites in landfills to be open twenty four to seven. In the lead up to Hurricane Milton, we had a lot of debris left from Hurricane Helene on Florida's Gulf Coast. That creates a huge hazard if you have a major hurricane hit in that area.
Speaker 3: This week, they also reiterated that the greatest risk from this storm, the greatest risk from Helene, at least early on, especially along the coast, was the storm surge.
Speaker 2: It's not exactly clear yet.
Speaker 3: It'll be a couple of days before we know exactly where the center of the hurricane is going to make landfall. The worst surge is just south of the eye of the hurricane. And places they're already suggesting could see eight to twelve foot storm surges.
Speaker 1: The response to Hurricane Helene has been criticized. There's a lot of talk about North Carolina being a state that carries Republicans, that Trump had North Carolina handily in twenty twenty, and will these people have access to ballots to voting with all of the with all of the the back not the backlash, but all the aftermath from Hurricane Helene, and the fact that maybe Biden administration not doing enough and is there any sort of thought process behind they're not doing enough because they want to suppress the vote.
Speaker 2: A lot of that talk going on.
Speaker 1: Biden went there on Friday to look at the damage and did not know what he was doing. It's really and I'm not trying to be cute, I'm not trying to be rude.
Speaker 2: He did not know.
Speaker 1: When asked, what did you think about the storm damage and the storm zone, he said, which storm are you talking about? After he had just toured in the helicopter the storm damage from Helene.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a good not a good look. No.
Speaker 1: So the widespread damage that Helene caused is everywhere, right, It's on all your news channels. It's on all of the publications online. The pictures are horrific, the before and after. Their research and rescue teams still going in over the weekend to get people cut off because the roads were washed away. The president on Friday took a helicopter tour of the area. Upon landing, was asked by a reporter, what did you see? What do they need? And he said something to the effect of, what's the story talking?
Speaker 2: What storm? The states the storm zone need a president? What are the states in the storm zone?
Speaker 4: What do they need?
Speaker 2: What you saw today? How on the storm zone? Yeah, sure, I'm going what storms dolving?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, they getting everything they need. Oh, they're very happy off the board.
Speaker 2: They're very happy across the board.
Speaker 1: First of all, he had just getting off the hell the helicopter's still moving, yes, right, And the reporter's like, what do the people in the storm zone need?
Speaker 2: The storm? The storm zone? What? I don't know what storm you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can't listen to that and think that this is somebody who is fit for any office. He's not fit for city council. Not to put down the people of Laverne. I was just trying to pick a local small town, but you know what I mean Like that, that's troubling to me. And then to say they're happy across the board when you look at that devastation, the people that have been cut off without food or water or power, no cell phones.
Speaker 2: Are they happy? Yeah? That's that I think is probably the minimize. Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: If you're FEMA, if you're on the ground and you are you have some say in controlling an event like that, where the president comes in and sees what FEMA is doing, et cetera, et cetera. You're going to grab the people who have either gotten the first checks or they've gotten assistance or water, food or whatever it is transportation, they've gotten it from FEMA.
Speaker 2: That's who you're going to have talked to the president.
Speaker 3: So, yes, the president talk to people who are probably happy that with the assistance that they've gotten. But it sounds like the vast majority of people who are impacted by this, and to use their term way up in the hollers, they are not happy. Part now, part of it is the government is not designed to handle that kind of spread out devastation.
Speaker 2: We're just not The government's not good at that.
Speaker 3: That's why we've been doing stories about the successful rescue efforts, the successful repopulation efforts of private citizens who can manipulate, who can maneuver small spaces like that.
Speaker 1: I don't expect the president to fix everything in the wake of a storm. President Bush got hell after Katrina. Right. It's because it's not the fact that they can't fix everything right away, because to your point, it's just too widespread and what's one person going to do And there's only so quickly. They can only move so quickly when you look at FEMA and resources and things like that. But you've got to be able to talk articulately about what is going on and understanding that there is widespread damage and that this is you've got to be in it for the long haul.
Speaker 2: You've got to be able to vocalize that. And that's where I'm upset.
Speaker 3: The other thing that appears to be happening, just based on reports that have come out social media posts, news stories, is that the government, and whether it's FEMA on the national level sometimes at a state level, the government agencies don't know how to liaise with private citizens who want to help out. Think of one of the greatest stories that came out of Hurricane Katrina was the Cajun Navy. Yes, one of those guys that come through with swamp boats and other kinds of boats, and they were going through and helping rescue people.
Speaker 2: But at the time there was no real way.
Speaker 3: They had to develop their own way to communicate with the government agencies who may have had the information, all the information about where people were trapped, but couldn't maneuver their own troops to get there. Then you have to have this, you know, this interaction between the Cajun Navy and the National Guard or whoever was in charge, to say, okay, you guys go here, we got this one. You take that ward, We'll take that ward. It seems like that lesson was not learned from Hurricane Katrina. That you've got all of these private citizens who are capable, willing, dying to help out, but are being told to stand down because the government has to whatever has to control the airspace, has to control the traffic, has to do all that sort of stuff. That's going to be I mean, if that is true, that's one of the nightmare scenarios that they can't figure out.
Speaker 1: Another narrative that's going to come out. Was preparation was enough done before the storm?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And how do you get We knew it was going to be awful.
Speaker 1: I mean all the forecasts were said that this unsurvivable, remember, Yeah, and it was for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: When Helene came through, there were stories or images of the number of utility trucks that were lined up power utility trucks, I mean football field's worth of utility trucks parked and waiting for that storm to roll through.
Speaker 2: They knew that they were going to be called on right away. This whole FEMA story, Is this any credence to this at all?
Speaker 3: So there's FEMA has all the money it wants, right because it's the emergency management agency.
Speaker 2: All they have to do is go to Congress and get money. That's it. And there's no one in Congress. I shouldn't say no one.
Speaker 3: There are very few people in Congress who would not unleash money to hurricane survivors like this to help them rebuild and get back on their feet. But there's a lot that's been made. FEMA also does give money to migrants. FEMA does help what basically was a disaster along the southern border for the last few years. So there right now they're running out of the regular allocation. But it doesn't mean they can't go get more.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it? Okay, So the whole FEMA there's not enough money because it's going to migrants.
Speaker 3: Narrative is erroneous, erroneous, But they also need to know that this is a pr disaster that they're looking at. They better immediately go to Congress and get some more money. Two climbers, one American one British, were rescued from a mountain in the Himalayas after being stranded for three nights at twenty thousand feet. These two climbers, Michelle Devorak and fay manors, Oh, you're.
Speaker 2: Thinking that women shouldn't hike. Now, I know what you're thinking. That's all I'm saying. I could hear it in your voice. I didn't say that I heard it.
Speaker 3: They were rescued by Indian rescu rescuers in a helicopter after an earlier tenth on Friday.
Speaker 1: The Indian rescuer, Oh, Indian, because a Himalaya is For a minute, there, I thought you were being racist, No and sexist. No, I.
Speaker 3: Why would I hide behind a story if I was just going to show my true colors. They were on Chuakamba three in the Atara Khand Range. I guess they had to be pointed out by another climbing team that was already on the mountain. A French team knew where they were. So these two women said that a falling raw severed the rope to their luggage that they were towing behind them, and the luggage equipment had the food, all the climbing equipment and everything. It fell into a ravine. So they were stuck up there for three.
Speaker 2: Days with no men to save them. That is a good point. I never thought of that anyewa. I'd bring it around for you. Thank you.
Speaker 1: The Supreme Court kicks off its new term today. It's always the first Monday in October, is that correct, something of that nature.
Speaker 2: First Monday in October.
Speaker 1: So they are going to be taking the bench for the first time since they handed down those massive decisions guns abortion, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: The biggest concern is not necessarily those cases that are already on the docket.
Speaker 2: It's the ones that could come up. They're talking about.
Speaker 3: The Supreme Court likely having a role in whatever election results we get after November fifth, which is m embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Well, they're gonna fight.
Speaker 1: Whoever loses is going to fight that thing to them now, because that's just where we're at. Lgbt Q rights are on the table. Age verification for porn on the table. Something's got to be done about that, which part the proliferation of porn and being kids access to it.
Speaker 2: Here's the bag. There's the cat long out of there.
Speaker 1: I know, but yeah, I kind of like guns, right, cats out of the bag. There's we're so saturated with guns and porn. Anybody wants to do anything about.
Speaker 2: It is screwed. Just distract us and we with the porn, and then you could take the guns away, is it.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying that you can't do anything really about guns because it is so far out of the bag.
Speaker 2: Right, the same thing with the porn, I think. Okay, there's a.
Speaker 3: Weird aspect that separates the two of those though in that I think the porn aspect of it hits a different center in our brain. I mean, there's a weirdly animalistic lizard brain reaction to images like.
Speaker 1: That, Yes, and it changes the way that normal human interactions are made. I mean, I have a girlfriend whose son is twelve, and it terrifies her what he sees. Now, she's not as strict as you were, which I support wholeheartedly when it comes to when you can have your phone, having your phone in your room and all of that. I'm not a judger, I'm not a parent, But she terrifies her what he has seen, you know, and he'll say, like, I think I saw something that I shouldn't see, and you know, she'll check it out or what have you, and she's terrified. And that's going to change the way he interacts with girls as he gets into puberty and beyond well and what he expects in all of that. And this is just one kid, you know. It's it's not that it's a new thing.
Speaker 2: I mean we grew up with, but it's it's but it's so easy.
Speaker 1: Available, easily, and it escalated it, you know when we were kids, like I would see my dad's Playboy magazine or whatever, and that was one that was like what porn was for for kids, right, I mean porn for kids, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like your exposure, your exposure.
Speaker 3: To it was very your first time is usually some very air brushed somebody on a.
Speaker 1: Beach, right, and now it's like midgets and wizards and all sorts of weird things.
Speaker 2: What did you do this weekend? No, I'm just saying that from what she was telling me, what she found was like weird. Oh wait, so she has found stuff on her kids phone. She's still listen. I want to have her call me. I don't know. We're not judging that. This is I will judge if you don't mind.
Speaker 1: I don't judge people whose shoes I have not walked in. I haven't had a kid, So two degrees of separation you can judge.
Speaker 2: Okay, But but you're right. The legal quest of that house, she has since put controls on the phone and like monitored it. So it sent the sun to a monastery. Oh man, I do not envy people with kids growing up with these things.
Speaker 3: The legal aspect of it, though, is where where the Supreme Court is going to have to get involved with that?
Speaker 2: That is a good.
Speaker 3: That's a whole discussion. That whole thing is a because you're right, it is not the same. It is not it's like not the right analogy. It's like our food, Yeah, our food now is not what it was fifty years ago. Look at the pictures exactly what the pictures of the.
Speaker 1: Of people in nineteen fifty five and the people in twenty twenty four, Right, we don't look the same.
Speaker 3: Like I don't know, Huntington Beach is in nineteen sixty seven versus Huntington Beach in twenty twenty four. What do you want me to change a different beach, Manhattan Beach. I don't I don't care.
Speaker 1: It's a problem everywhere from coast to coast, Galveston. We're upset and never mind, no, no, I wanted to go with that is speaking of and what We're just very unhealthy. We're at a very unhealthy place.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think you'd begins set on this. Today begins change Today begins change. Sure, you and I are going to enact change, make people healthy. I only had a cup and a half of coffee today.
Speaker 3: Hurricane watches have been issued for basically the entire state of Florida, most of the west coast there Florida, including the entire Tampa area, ahead of Hurricane Milton, which just about an hour ago was upgraded to a Category five hurricane. It is not expected to be a five when it makes landfall sometime Wednesday, probably, but it will still be one of the larger storms to make landfall in Florida in recent history. Tropical storm watches are in effect for much of Florida's Gulf Coast, including the Big Bend area, which was the site of Hurricane Helene's landfall less than two weeks ago. The Harris Walls campaign is getting an interview mode kind of. Kamala Harris does an interview with sixty Minutes broadcast tonight. Yeah, she was on the Call Her Daddy podcast that was released yesterday.
Speaker 1: Can I just say that this was a massive blind spot for me, this Call Her Daddy podcast. Apparently it's number two in popularity behind Joe Rogan's podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I had never heard of it before. I'm out of touch.
Speaker 3: Alex Cooper is the host of you. Is Alex Cooper the host of Call Her Daddy? Is there anything a median? Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't so it's.
Speaker 1: Usually what I was seeing from the backlashes. It's usually kind of fun, raunchy podcast, female driven go on. And this was political and she gave Kamala Harris a pass, and there was some of her people that did not like that.
Speaker 2: That's what I've gathered, and she said she doesn't usually do this.
Speaker 3: She said she had a lot of I listened to the whole thing this morning because I was curious about a the podcast and be what kind of questions she would pose to the vice president. She said that she was never really a political person, but felt like she needed to have this conversation for women and there were issues that were surrounding abortion, sexual assault.
Speaker 2: Is it usually a funny podcast, light fare? I think so.
Speaker 3: It's called an advice and comedy podcast, Okay, And she referred to again, I've never heard any of them before.
Speaker 2: Why would you go political and risk that? I mean, I guess she did it for she felt she was.
Speaker 3: Motivated and listen, it's also the first time that for a lot of people they've even heard of what the podcast is. So for as many people as she may lose for taking a political stance, I mean, clearly having the vice president on is a political stance.
Speaker 2: I'll probably give it a listen now that I know it's number two and popular hilarity, just to see what it's all about.
Speaker 3: I just don't think this is indicative of what the rest of what the regular podcast?
Speaker 2: No, I know, I'll go back and listen to another. But they you know, they talked about her family.
Speaker 3: They talked about having kids and having step kids but not your own kids.
Speaker 2: Does that make a difference? Does that matter at all?
Speaker 3: So, I mean, it was an interesting conversation, and to be honest, Kamala Harris didn't do the word salad thing very much, which should I think was a good move for her, except the very first question basically was you don't do a lot of interviews, why are you on my podcast? And the answer was kind of like, well, I feel like this is and you are doing it right and you're talking about the issues and the things. That was the that was and that's the clip they kind of made its way around yesterday, was that answer. But it was the probably the sloppiest answer.
Speaker 2: That she had in the whole thing. Okay, is it worth a listen?
Speaker 3: I didn't learn anything if that's what you're asking. But again, she was probably one of her better interviews. But she's on sixty Minutes today. She has interviews scheduled with Stephen Colbert, Howard Stern and the Ladies from the View, Tim Wallas is going to be on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight.
Speaker 1: I believe the sixty minutes is tonight tonight, not Sunday. No, I don't know why is it sixty minutes on Sunday as usually? Maybe it'll just be a portion of it tonight and then the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, people getting divorced? Can can you imagine?
Speaker 1: It? Sounds like a freaking nightmare? Which part being single in your fifties or sixties, oh, and wanting to redesign your life for however they put it in this article here they find that these separations are more common than.
Speaker 2: Ever before Gray divorce.
Speaker 1: They call it dissolutions of marriages occurring among adults.
Speaker 2: Older than fifty. I listen, they've.
Speaker 1: Doubled between nineteen ninety in twenty ten and these days, thirty six percent of adults who get divorced in this country are fifty and older.
Speaker 3: Wow, Is it just because you get tired of dealing with that same person? I would be this is this is what I think.
Speaker 2: What do you think you're gonna find?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't even necessarily think it's like that. You're looking for the next thing. You're just trying to get out of whatever situation you're in. Every situation is different. And I didn't have a lot of divorce in my family most of them me neither a lot of. I mean we had some some like aunts and cousins and things like that. But I would have been so angry at my parents if they got divorced after that, I mean at any point, but I mean the older that they got, I would have been so angry why And I don't know, but I saw this story today and I just thought, if my parents did that, I'd be so pissed off at them.
Speaker 2: And I know that every Listen, every situation is different.
Speaker 3: Maybe mom was never happy, maybe Dad was never happy, she cheated on him, he cheated or whatever.
Speaker 2: But for the kids, you stay together, you can hold it together. And again I don't I don't know what that is. I at least acknowledge.
Speaker 1: I don't benefit analysis of will your kids be happier with you or your spouse being unhappy or in a bad place or what have you?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: And like what damage are you doing to your kids to stay in something that is dating unhealthy? Unhealthy, yeah, dangerous and unhealthy, satisfying if you're unhappy.
Speaker 2: That's one thing I don't know.
Speaker 1: What is the detriment to a child growing up with a parent who is very unhappy or two parents who are very unhappy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: They use the example of this woman, Ronda Gibson Willis Well. First of all, she hyphenated her name red flag.
Speaker 2: Just kidding.
Speaker 1: And they say that they had the house, they had the kids, they had domestic equity, they shared all the child rearing, the household responsibilities, but Ronda felt like she wasn't her husband's priority. They got along perfectly, but she didn't feel like she was a priority. Ronda, I would tell you to stay in that marriage. That's a fleeting That is a fleeting feeling to not feel like a priority. You're not always going to be the number one priority.
Speaker 3: And that's that's an issue I think that isn't talked about too much. There are absolutely perfectly acceptable reasons for people to get divorced. There are situations that would absolutely dictate it, and I would support it one hundred percent. But why not put a just a quick speed bump in there. Maybe there is something that you can do to work it out. Maybe there is you know this, you know the fleeting feelings that you that you describe can be fixed, can be worked on. But I mean, granted, you got to both do it, and you gotta work on it, But the idea, there's an Elise Joscelyn Elise Crowley, professor of public Policy at Rutgers, said that she interviewed dozens of these gray divorcee men said they wanted to end their marriage because they grew apart from their spouse, their spouse cheated, they had different financial views, their spouse's mental health issues cropped up, or they had disagreements about their children. For women, the top motivators cheating their spouse's addiction, whether it was pornography or alcohol, maybe both, emotional abuse growing apart and their.
Speaker 2: Spouses mental health issues.
Speaker 3: Surprising, both sides say that it's their mental health issues.
Speaker 2: Are video games is still a problem in marriages.
Speaker 1: I remember that being a thing like ten fifteen years ago, guys addicted to, you know, playing video games all night.
Speaker 2: I don't know, is that still a thing. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just become so ubiquitous, I guess people don't. I mean, my son was telling me a story last night where he was sitting and watch a movie on the couch with his roommates and then go into his room and turn on his Xbox and play a game until he I'll sleep or whatever.
Speaker 2: And I just think that's so exhausting. It hurts my head to think about doing that.
Speaker 1: I have this weird feeling when I see an adult male playing a video game. Like my brother was playing a video game on his phone the other day and I was just like, Ugh, what are you doing.
Speaker 3: You're fifty years old. I'm just gonna say, me doing it's on your dating profile. I'm pretty good at League of Legends.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't even know what a game. Hey, And if you are into that, cool, cool, cool, but keep it to yourself. Don't do that in public. Like my brother in law, he'll play like some sort of form of candy crush on his phone. I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You're an adult male or an adult female. I guess I don't know if that's your thing. Cool, but I wouldn't be out in public. Quit. I know.
Speaker 2: That's awful. Rough weekend, It was not.
Speaker 1: It was a very peaceful weekend. I watched a lot of foot I watched football from six point thirty to the forty nine Ers crapped all over themselves, and I couldn't even bring myself to watch the evening game because I was just so.
Speaker 2: It was such a winnable game. It was such a.
Speaker 1: Winnable game, but stumbling Cardinals team, come on, lock it up.
Speaker 2: And then I had ballet, so that was, yeah, I did. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.