Speaker 1: Thomas Kniff is one of our great attorneys. We have them all on this show. You know, Alan Dershowitz, Joseph Tacopina, Author I Dollar, even my buddy Jose Baiez down in Miami. But Caniff is as good as it gets. Remember he served as an assistant district attorney under Janine Piro. He was a nominee for the Manhattan District Attorney. He got screwed by the Republican Party, so the fat, stupid racist Alvin Bragg won. He also served in our Army National Guard. George Advocate, the general in that corps. A veteran of the Iraq War. He's a hero. He earned the Army Commendation Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Medal.
Speaker 2: Look at this.
Speaker 1: He's the recipient of the Ronald Reagan Award for the Advancement of Individual Liberty, the Marine Corps League Appreciation Award, and as an inductee. This is the biggest one of all. You ready for this, the massive Peaqua High School Hall of Fame. Come on now, undergrad University of Rochester law work at Hofstra was swore in Vicky Palladino. This guy does it all and Dave works with Steve Razor, a pretty good guy as well, and he's an author and he's got a new book out the name of the book is Tuxedo Park, and I'm excited to tell to talk about it. Here is my good friend Tom Kaniff Thomas. Good morning, buddy, how are you?
Speaker 3: Good morning, said, and as always, thank you for your overly gracious introduction. I don't know who that guy was you were talking about. I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Did you really do all that you could get? All that is? Is that true? All that stuff?
Speaker 2: I mean, you blow me away.
Speaker 3: I thought I was a big deal from one of my hockey one of my favorite hockey movies, slap Shot Works. That's what I said in me your book.
Speaker 1: And of course you know, on top of all that, most people really do know you because you took on that Daniel Penny case Ew and Razor and every decent human being, every decent human being knew that Daniel Penny was a hero that day on the subways and the guy was not the guy that died, and some watching it he died. We do this all the time, right, whether it's pretty or good in Minnesota or this guy on the train. We don't want to see people die, but sometimes they do. And in this case, Daniel Penny was a hero, but for some reason you and raise her. How to convince this moron, Alvin Bragg? You know, you know, after I indicted him to that was the truth, and you did do it. So I would say that of all the great things you've done, the Daniel Penny verdict is probably at the very top of your list.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, that's certainly, that's certainly what I'm knowing for. You know, it's funny. It was on it was on Jack John Katsumethes's show last weekend. He brought me on to talk about the book very graciously, and he was kind of going through my resume like you did. And then I start talking about the book and he goes, but tell what you're really known for. Well, you know, yeah, I guess the Daniel Penny thing, but hey, I want to talk about the book.
Speaker 1: Well, it's true that Daniel Penny thing was a big deal. Now this book. Is this the first time you've written a book?
Speaker 2: I should others I don't.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, absolutely, it's finally you don't know that, and it absolutely is my first time writing a book. I've written a lot as an attorney, but this is, uh, you know, my first delve into the fiction genre, if you will. And you know, it's something that I conceived of in concept many many years ago, actually when I was still working for gene and you know, I did a little. I put it aside. Life happens, kids happen, marriage, marriage happens, and and big trials like Daniel Penny. But I never you know, I never walked away from it. And then in the last few years, I said, you know what, I really think I have something here. I had some very pre eminent authors and a couple of very prominent publishers who I knew through professional circles that kind of were willing to do me a favorite. So like, you take a look at this, be brutally honest. I have a day job. And you know, it was just resounding. Everyone you know, looked at it and said, this is this is fantastic. You got to finish this.
Speaker 1: I did, and it looks great. I saw the video and we'll discuss the book in a second, but you want talking about the very real possibility of making this great book Tuxedo Park into a movie. And somebody said to me, mayben you that that may be a part available for you said in this movie? Is that? And also it says, is that something you guys are really looking at?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I'm serious on both counts, because the one thing I get from everybody who's gotten a dance copy of the book and read it, and I know you you looked over it and so forth, is that this is a cinematic story. This is like made for the big screen. And what the publishing company did, which has gotten kind of popular now because you can now do things a lot more cost efficiently in the world of AI as far as putting together with the book trailers which are like a movie trailer for a book. So they engaged a company and I know you saw the trailer.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what a great trailer.
Speaker 2: It came out great, Tom.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is incredible, you know so, And the good thing is between you and me while you and me and your audience a million people. I retain the movie rights in that contract, so you know, we we've had some very casual kind of conversations with people. It's very early the book, you know, first as to make it make its mark, and I think it will, but to your second point, I could never be part of a movie without trying to find a part for Sid Rosenberg. And I think I got one boy and Eddie he's a little bit of a villain.
Speaker 1: I can do that. I play a mobster in every movie I'm in.
Speaker 3: You do you play a mobster and all that? So this guy, you know, you wouldn't be playing the protagonist. But who's you know, the kind of imperfect hero of the book. But I got a character for you.
Speaker 1: I love that, and most heroes are imperfect. And the protagonist, I guess people read the book and say, maybe that's you.
Speaker 2: Thomas Kinneth.
Speaker 1: His name in the book is John Palmer, but he's a Manhattan a da I wonder where you got that from. So is it fair to assume that John Palmer the star of this book is Thomas Kinneff in print?
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think any You know what I've learned about writing from from speaking with some of the really the best people out there, is that, you know, good writers always put a little bit of their own experiences. You know, he's a term of lived experience. I hate that term, but you know, into their work because it creates the reality of it and you know, I think that this is a going to be a breakout hit. I think it's going to be a great novel. But you know, not everyone's going to love your work. And you gotta have thick skin and you got to be willing to accept criticism. But one thing I will not accept is someone telling me that, oh, yeah, this book isn't realistic, this isn't real because there's so much in it that I've taken from a bit for my personal life. My uncle built houses in Tuxedo Park. When I was a kid, my grandmother lived up there. I'd be slept up there every weekend. That's why I thought it would be a great place to set a you know, murder conspiracy, kidnapping conspiracy case, a very sort of u surreal place. But you know, the legal stuff that's in there, so much of that has been taken from you know what I've experienced in twenty five years prosecuting, defending in Manhattan, New York City and other places, being in the in the jag Hoorn, the military. There's touches of that in there. So the realist, the realism thing can't be criticized in my opinion.
Speaker 1: No, not, the realism but but what you've never done, though disrespecting Daniel Penny is at least I don't think you have is represent the president, well the president elect of the United States, in a criminal trial. So this tower through in the book, This guy Kent Dawson, who at least in the AI video looks every bit the part without giving away too much, this will turn out to be a criminal investigation for the president. Now, Joe Tacopino, def friends of both the Bars, one of my best friends. He represented President Trump twice. But I wasn't for murder, for kidnapping. So in terms of realism, is that realistic in a book like this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, look, I mean no question that this is a work of fiction. You know, there were people who approached me and said, hey, why don't you do a book on the Daniel Penny case and this and that, and I said, yeah, I'm not really ready to do that. So there's a work of fiction. But the means and the methods I describe are very much anchored in what this would look like if something like this occurred. So, in other words, the plot is, you know, John Palmer is a young prosecutor who gets sort of drawn into an investigation of the kidnapping of his teenage girlfriend from you know, his teenage girlfriend from twenty years ago. And as he gets further into the investigation, it's it leads he starts discovering a theory, that evidence that leads back to the president of the elect of the United States as being the person who perpetrated or conspired to do this in order to get his pregnant mistress out of the way pregnancy. Yeah, and it's this race against time because it starts out he's just he's you know, put quick quote, he's he is just the nominee or is about to become the nomination.
Speaker 1: No, well, what you just told me is not only thrilling, but it's not out of the realm of possibility.
Speaker 2: Any of that.
Speaker 3: It's not out of the real possibility. And one of the things why I personally think that this book was kind of meant to be is I first conceived and write the book, but he conceive of the concept and wrote a bit about it, you know, before even Trump won, before anyone had ever you know, talked seriously about indicting a president or a former president or president to be and then you know, through the years, as I'm going back to this. These things are happening, and you know it's interesting. I mean the book I finished writing it a couple of years ago, but the editing process, finding an agent, the agent, shopping to a publisher, that takes years in of itself, believe it or not. And I just look at the things that happened in the last year, you know, tragically, you know, the Nancy gunthree case. You know, there's elements of of you know, that sort of thing in this book that the Eric Slowell you know, you know you have this is you know, philandering politician. So there's a lot of things. Again, work of fiction, no question, but there's a lot of things that themes in the book that are kind of like very of the moment as far as what's going on in reality or what has been going on in the public sphere political sphere over the last months and years. So in fact, there was some push to, you know, change the name of the book from Tuxedo Park to Indictment, because I would just jump off the page. Trump wasn't died in all that, And you know, I pushed back a little bit because the book personal meaning to me, and I said, lucky I'd really like to call it Tuxedo Park. I dedicated it to my late mother, and you know history there and ultimately I won that battle, was publisher.
Speaker 1: You won the battle Tuxedo Park. Behind every great candidate is a greater cover up by my dear friend, the amazing attorney Thomas. Can it be kind of just glossed over? You dedicated the book to your mother. I love your father in law, by the way, He's one of my favorite people.
Speaker 3: I love him, George. Yeah, he's the best. I'm sure he's listening right now because, as you know, he has like four different radios.
Speaker 1: I saw in him recently at Bobby Hartman's count tournament out of Long Island. He presented me with this beautiful picture of me, you and him and Andrew Giuliani.
Speaker 3: From the Penny Galley. Yes, I thought, yeah, I think it was the first night you guys met.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: And he's a wonderful guy, your father in law, George. But you did dedicate this book to your mom.
Speaker 3: What's that all about? The next one will be my father in law now, I mean, look, you know mom was bomb. My mother passed when I was, you know, young assistant DA working for Jeanine. It was it was way too early. I mean, I know, you know what you know, I know you're talking about, you know, your lead father all the time, so uh, you know, and I was basically, you know, for most of my life, I was raised by my mom. Uh you know, my dad died when I was eighteen, and even before that they had a you know, not a great marriage. So you know, Mom was everything, and she did uh you know, she did what she did with nothing. I mean, I don't know how she did, frankly, because I have you know, I'm blessed with a wonderful wife, and you know, we're both lawyers, and we we do okay financially, and it's still a struggle to raise kids. And and Mom didn't have any of those resources. But somehow she made it work. And you know, she gave me opportunities that she never had herself. And you know, but for that, I wouldn't be doing anything I'm doing. It certainly wouldn't be this you know, well known lawyer. I wouldn't be writing books. So I had it dedicated to her memory. And uh, like I said, I next next time, we'll get the in laws in there.
Speaker 1: Georgian and how can people buy Tuxedo Park today on Amazon? Is it available now?
Speaker 3: Not only is it available, but it's in pre sales right now. The official publishing date is August eighteenth, so it'll probably ship a couple of days before that. But if you go board order it now because pre sales are a big thing, you get free shipping and you get twenty five percent off because it's pre sales. So you can go to Amazon dot com Tuxedo Park Thomas Kinness. But we also have a website Tuxedo parkbook dot com. You can go on there. It'll link you right to Amazon or you know, Target or Warmot or Simon and Schusterbornes Nobile, wherever you want to buy it. Although Amazon I think is the best place because it helps your ratings and I think they have the best skills.
Speaker 1: I think you're right, you know last one, and this is gonna be at uncomfortable for you because you like both people. But I think you like one and you love the other one. I know you like President Trump, I know you do. But you love Janeine Piro, right, I mean you were her assistant and you know it to Daniel Penny trial. She was there all the time she celebrated with you guys on Stone Street after Daniel Penny was acquitted. She was there the whole way, and she's been there really the whole way most of your life. When the President came down pretty hard on her a couple of days ago, he said not once, but twice she choked and also said she folded like an umbrella. So you know that Jannine Pierro must have been very upset because like me, and she loves in adoors President Trump.
Speaker 2: When you heard that Trump said that about Pierro, what did you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't like hearing it because you know, of course I have the greatest admiration for President Trump. I don't know him personally like you do, but I think that, you know, the only reason we have a country right now is because of him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I also from what I know of his personality, you know, he can be mercurial, but he a lot of times he says things and he doesn't really mean it, and he doesn't doesn't hold a grudge, so to speak.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. You know, he means it at the time he means it, but he never holds He snaps back very very quickly doesn't hold the graduation. He also hammered Bobby Kennedy last week, and that's.
Speaker 3: Not forget right. And I'm hoping, you know, like you said exactly, that he snaps back, because I do. I have a very personal relationship with Janine, but that's not what's motivating me to say any of this, because it's just reality. He is blessed to have her in d C. She's turned that city around. There is no one, uh, you know, with all due respect to to Todd Blanch who you know, I've also known, and many other people, as far as I'm concerned, there is no one better in the entire Justice Department than Janine Pierro. And the thing that you know, you want to talk about selfless service. You know, if you offered me the position of, you know, US attorney for d C, I wow, you know, that's really something, you know, the district attorney, the US attorney, and the pay would be hard to get by on, but it would be something that I have to really really think about because it's such a prestigious thing. But if you're Janine Pierro and you've done what you've done, what she's done, she's one of the you know, first elected district attorneys in the country. She's was a New York State Supreme Court judge. She had this you know, television career, plenty of money, and you know that that came with her success, rightfully so. And at this stage of her life where she could just be sitting in front of a television camera on a set in Manhattan to go down to disrupt her life, to go to d C in the most hostile place, she could try to do that job. You know, she she's got she can't trust anyone down there. And I've had these conversations with her without revealing you know, I mean we all know this, of course, and you know it's just absolutely she did it selflessly. It's actually she you know, I know from conversation her entire salary goes to taking an apartment and you know, her home in d C, which she doesn't need in New Yorker, and her commuting clause, so she is basically working. You know, she's basically doing this, you know, as a volunteer almost at you know, for love of country. So you know, and the other thing I'll just add real quickly is, you know, prosecutors, the standard that a prosecutors use in evaluating cases not whether the person did it, it's whether we can prove this beyond a reasonable doubt. I mean, do you know how many instances I've had in my time as a prosecutor. All the other attorneys you named Idala so for the Tacopeda, they've all been prosecutors when we all started as young assistant district attorney's at one point in our career where I've had a case and I said, you know, I know this son of a bitch didn't I know it? But I can't prove it because I don't have this and I don't have that. And you're obligated. You're ethically obligated, you legally, you've obligated at that point to say, you know, yeah, it sucks, but I got to walk away from it, you know, And if that's what happened here, and it probably is, you know, Janine's hands were tied. So anyway, my point is I hate seeing it. I know Janine is a is a tough gal with skin and you know she can handle, you know, the criticism, But I hope it blows over, you know, for the good of everyone, for the country, really and certainly for the people in DCA because they need her.
Speaker 2: Me too. I love her too, love her, Deshbert Lee, Jeanine Piro.
Speaker 1: The book is Tuxedo Park, folks. Behind every great candidate is a greater cover up, and behind every great book is a great author.
Speaker 2: And he's my friend, The Amazing Attorney.
Speaker 1: Thomas Kenniff. Thomas, good luck. It looks great. I think the movie's going to be great too. You gotta want to hear again, Thomas, congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me on. I hope everybody checks it out.
Speaker 1: Tuxedo Park.
Speaker 2: We will do that.
Speaker 1: Take care, Tom, Tom Kinip right there, the Amazing Attorney.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening to Sit In Friends in the Morning. You can hear sit in Friends in the Morning weekday mornings at six. If you like the podcast, share it with your friends and listen anytime at WABC radio dot com and download the WABC Radio app.
Speaker 2: Hit that subscribe button.
Speaker 4: On all major podcast platforms. Plus, follow WABC on social on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and X see you next time for a new episode, so you never have to wonder
Speaker 1: What the heck is going on here.