Speaker 1: Out of the street corners. They scream. You knew it was coming. You've been waiting for this for months, rumor hardened into fear, and now they scream at you, the sirens, their hysterical wail, tearing through the white noise of the city, and you run. You run to pick up those things that can never be replaced, a picture of them in the days when they still loved you, your mother's wedding ring. And then you turn to your shelf of games. You only have room for five. Five Games for Doomsday. Five Games for Doomsday is a show in which board game personalities are thrust into a cabin in the woods to outrun an oncoming disaster, but can only take five of their games with them. But which will they choose. My guest this week is one half of the most original publisher in hobby gaming in real life. He's a graduate in cryptography and a business owner working in deep tech in games. He designs and publishes under Splotter, Spell and the hugely original Dutch publisher responsible for Antiquity Indonesia, food Chain, Magnetum, and many others. My guest this week is your own Dowman, your own Welcome to the cabin.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So my first question is is how difficult was it for you to pick the five games take to the cabin.
Speaker 2: Well, there's two answers to that question. On the one hand, it's very difficult to narrow something down to five games and just just pick only five. On the other hand, gaming for me is always more about people I gained this and having a fun experience together than the actual game that's on the table, if you understand what I mean.
Speaker 1: Sure, So let's go back to the beginning. Then, so you studied cryptography. How does a person get into cryptography?
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's an excellent question. It's essentially by not being able to choose in a way, because cryptography is essentially a branch of mathematics that takes whatever font puzzles can be had from left and right anywhere in mathematics to create a difficult puzzle out of that and build a cryptosystem.
Speaker 1: And so what do you do in a cryptography degree.
Speaker 2: Well built, build secure systems, may make sure stuff can remain secret or authentic or what have you not.
Speaker 1: And so then that resulted in you working in deep tech, and I tried to work out what deep tech actually meant. But the problem is your own is I'm not very clever, and certainly anything to do with mathematics is an absolute disaster. So what is deep tech?
Speaker 2: Dep tech doesn't really have much to do with mathematics or with the technology itself. I think it's it's more to do with with an investor's horizon, because deep tech is something that will take a long time to pay off any investment. I think that's a good definition to look to.
Speaker 1: But what kind of things does deep tech do? What kind of products does it produce?
Speaker 2: There's typically a lot of semiconductors, so computer chips, things like that. They often take years to design. Then you have to convince people that yours are better than those of somebody else, and before you know it, you're five to ten years down the road. Well, typical investor will want a return on his money in I don't know, three years or so. And of course I'm fantasizing slightly here because this is not my world. I like I like to keep in the technology part of the business and be clever and not have too much to do with the money side of things unless I have to.
Speaker 1: And you formed your own company, what does it do yees.
Speaker 2: So I did that with a bunch of co founders and essentially what we do, and I think the easiest way to explain it is we create electronic bar code. So any piece of electronics you can stick a unique barcode, the thing gets its own unique identity and it can prove its own identity. And that that way you can keep track of the life cycle of your your electronics or the electronic components throughout throughout this whole life, even after you refurbish it, and you still you still know it's life history in a way year or you have a way of tracking that.
Speaker 1: Excellent. So your first game then is unsurprising to me as an eighteen xx and this is eighteen thirty three. So what is your background with eighteen xx and why do the games appeal to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, They've always appealed to me a lot. And what I really wanted to pick an eighteen xx game for one of my five games. And I think one of the ways it tackles me is that the entanglement it creates between players because it's the type of game that plays in two levels. As a player, or you're an investor in companies, you have no clue yet what those companies will do and whoever invested most in a company to run it in the operation round and make all these decisions. So that game on two levels is fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: And then what's special about eighteen thirty three n E.
Speaker 2: Well, in a way, it's a little bit of a gamble because I've played prototype a handful of times. The game has not been released yet, should hopefully finally be out end of this year, and I really like what it does. It's kind of the bigger broader to eighteen forty six, which is a game that was distilled down from the roots of eighteen thirty three and E. And so I like what it does, and I hope there's it has enough legs for me to spend a lot of time in the cabin.
Speaker 1: And so, you know, you look at eighteen xx publishers. I interviewed Lonnie Augla recently, and the eighteen xx community is its own kind of cult within board gaming. Do you do you kind of feel an affinity with what you do and what eighteen xx publishers.
Speaker 2: Do partially partially, uh, but but maybe for the eighteen xx mostly designers, I would say they're designed and more constrained in that you still want to keep to the eighteen xx guardrails in the way it's almost always about railway companies and owning shares and debt. There's there's a few exceptions to that, including our own.
Speaker 1: One of yours, yeah, which I'll which I'll never play again, your own because the first time I played it, I won, and so I can never play it again because I've got one hundred percent record.
Speaker 2: Well, but I hope you liked it at least did I love it? Yeah, there's there's a really fun story about that part because when we released eighteen thirty BC, there was one of the Norwegian stores kept kept buying copies from us, and at some point we asked, how do you sell this many copies of an eighteen x X game? Because they were the only shop that was selling so much and and and they were saying, oh, your game is fantastic. It's it's it's relatively short, and and it teaches more dirty twigs and eighteen thirty has it's the perfect preparation for someone to learn how to play eighteen thirty or any of the others. That was really good to hear.
Speaker 1: So I want to move on there and talk to you, talk about you as a gamer rather than a designer. So how did you discover board games?
Speaker 2: Well, I I've I've played them from from childhood onwards essentially. So when I was in high school, I played actually Allies with with my friends with friends, that was the brand new game at the time. I then also discovered this this little weird male order shop. There was an efvert in a newspaper or magazine somewhere which was nine and nine games, and and one of the games the advertise for Civilization. I was like, well, this sounds fun. I'll take a chance and I'll order a copy. It arrived. I never at that point really played it that much because I didn't have the group for it, and the group wasn't big enough. But it was a wonderful game to own and and play. When I went to university I met more people to play with and to play lots of other games with as well.
Speaker 1: And so what kinds of player are you? Are you a quiet, thoughtful game or are you someone who Are you someone who plans a million turns ahead? Or are you more sort of shooting from the hip, shouting at people across the table? I mean like me.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm much more quiet's soulful player. I'll probably plan a million terms ahead, including for you. I also remember about what was visit game club here in Ainthoven. We were playing Game of Titan and and and people. Uh. For people who don't know the game, it's it's a fantasy combat game. You have hit, you have hidden armies. You show a little bit of information if you get a new fantasy creature into your army, uh, and and and how you got it there, and then for the rest of it is hidden you you move your armies around, so you don't quite know what's what a miss the other people have. But at some point everyone was just asking me what's in this army of mine? And I was correct ninety percent of the time or so, and so.
Speaker 1: When did you think, oh, I like these things, maybe I'd like to make them too.
Speaker 2: So that's that was really at the start of university and near the near the start of splot of as well, even though I didn't join as a partner all the way at the start, because we we were playing lots of lots of different different games, there were far fewer different games than than there are now. And I think, actually, well I had met your yours as well, and and other people we.
Speaker 1: So did you meet him at university?
Speaker 2: Yes, So we founded a gaming society together to play board games with with a lot of people. And at some point we also had like, well there's too few games, let's create, let's create some of our own. So we had evenings or or days where we would design a little game of our own. And one one of the other things is I also played a lot of computer games. I still play quite a few. One of the games that I enjoyed was low so that Settlers. You you may have heard of it, And if if you did some arcade things to your computer hooked up to miles, et cetera, you could play the split screen with two players. And I played it a few times videos and then we both enjoyed that and we were like, but can can we also do this in board game for him? So that's how Roads and Boats was born. And that's that's actually the first game that that we started working on, even if it's not the first published game from Slaughter.
Speaker 1: So your next game then is Age of Craft. Why are you taking this one to the cabin?
Speaker 2: I But one of the reasons I wanted to have a diverse set of games. Each age of Craft is wonderful for me because it's a it's it's a dice drafting game, and it's relatively quick and you're building new building, new buildings, uh with with the dice that you collect, some building if you'll produce dice, et cetera. So in a in a way, it's what resource building game or what's what's the current name for the sayings a cube, cube turner, cute pusher, Yeah, and but it's it's it's a wonderful little quirky little thing. And well I also I also very much nowadays and enjoy Japanese games because they often well they're often relatively small, not not and not too big, but they can contain it one wonderful little ideas. They're still down to the core because not more fits in the box, and so.
Speaker 1: More and more over the last decade, Asian games have been becoming a thing, I think culminating really with Bombusters winning Spielder Sharas last year. But is there anything unique about the games coming out of Asia, do you think?
Speaker 2: But in it in in a way it's it's a different scene. There's not as many big publishers. I think though the big Western publishers are now also scouting a lot for for Japanese designs. So there's much more culture of the miners producing five to fifty copies of their own game, and they are very happy with every with every sale and everyone who plays their game, and if it doesn't sell, then they're making you. They're make a new one.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk now about more about you and your your your start in design. So the first game you published, which I which I played the other day, interestingly, was Web and I was playing it with someone and they were saying, I see the origins of Splotter in this game. What what does Web share with the games you subsequently designed.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's that's that's a hard question. I would say one of the things that shares is is roudbuilding, because a lot, if not almost all of our games involves some form of network or routbuilding, and that that is the core of Web. You're you're building a route from the start or from a start to point two point scoring locations, and a little bit in there is also distilling down what you actually do in a turn, because in Web, you get if you get a few action points depending on the towel you play, and you and you can spend those on a on a few different options. We actually played it, uh two months back or so again and we and we were also both seeing yours was in the same game. We were both thinking along similar lines, it's like this, this really still is a blotter game. And we were also both like, if we would design this now and nowadays, we would do so much different.
Speaker 1: And so then when did you decide to form the company and why did you end up calling it splotter spelling?
Speaker 2: Forming the company was what was Tomara Harmon and yours started it basically because we we we had a bunch of games that we that we we all enjoyed ourselves, and we had shopped them around to a few bigger publishers and they they all very politely but very firmly said no, we don't, we don't want to publish this. And then at some point we or I should say, Tomara Hammond and simply decided, hey, we know a few other Dutch designers Kraley and side On, why don't we just rent the boots in Essen and make a few handcrafted games and sell them there. So that's really what what the start of Splotter was. So Web was one of the first games that was was in the mix for the first year. I didn't join as a partner until a few years later. And the name came from Tomorrow and actually from the logo because Tomara had drawn the logo first. And it's a shortening of spell and otter because the logo is a little otter, so it's really game otter.
Speaker 1: So so the Dutch word for otter is otter. Yes, yes, I know a Dutch word. Now, I'm sure you know more than one. You know web well? Also also I know web. Yeah, so I'm getting on to that. So your first big game then was Boss. How did Buss come about?
Speaker 2: I would argue that Roads and Boats was really the first big game, both because we started designing that earlier and I think it released a year before Bus. Okay actually, but but Bus really really came out of one of the design sessions where we were fooling around and trying and trying trying to make a game about moving about delivering passengers to where they want to go, and it grew from there. End my memory on it is very hazy at the moment.
Speaker 1: It's been a while, And so Buss is a game I first played when the Capstone version came out, and I recently had a gaming weekend and Bus was the first game that was played at the weekend. So it's a game that came out in nineteen ninety nine and people are still buying it, people are still playing it. Does that surprise you.
Speaker 2: In a way? Yes, that it's it's fair to be honest, and an old design, but it's the design still still holds up quite well, and I think I think it's still a good game. I still chuckle a little bit because you can. It's it's a game you can play in two very different ways. And when we designed it, we mainly played it in the as mean as possible game. So that's why why we put duration of two to three hours on the box. And and we had a little joke in that we put the score track up to I forget thirty points or so. Well, high score we had seen was more around seven points, but hey, we we had this wonderful game board all this. All the score islands were named after island games, and we came up with thirty or so of them. But but then we also got comments like why do you put two to three hours on the game. We finished this in thirty to forty five minutes, and the score treg is too short. If you play it extremely friendly, don't block anyone, Yeah, then you score a lot of points.
Speaker 1: I have never played a game of Bus where the winner has scored more than eight points.
Speaker 2: I think it's shame. But that's not the only way to play the game.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I mean, I know, in this modern world your own that we should be we should be nice and open to other people's points of view. But frankly, that is playing bus role.
Speaker 2: I agree. It's also not the way I play Bus.
Speaker 1: But so your next game then is something I never knew existed until you sent me the list, and this is Babylon five Walls. But before we get to the game, this is one of those TV shows that I've never seen that everyone always says to me, Oh, you have to see Babylon five. Of those nice anti sci fi shows, it's by far the best. Why is the TV show so good?
Speaker 2: I will join the chorus and say, it's it's really a wonderful sci fi show. You you you should, you should really watch it. And I think, apart from the c g I effects. It's it still holds up extremely well even even now. And for me, it's the TV show is so good because it's essentially it's a it's a Greek tragedy. It's it's one big story. It's it's it's not episodical. It's almost actually entirely from the first episode, it's already leading into the end of the show. And that that shows and the writing is phenomenal, phenomenal for me.
Speaker 1: And so how well does the game evoke the show?
Speaker 2: It's it evokes the show pretty nicely because the game, because the game has a gazillion different spaceships that that you can use to fight with, and most of at least the earlier ones appear on the show, and then later you get to ships that are only mentioned on the show, and then all the way to fantasy ships that somebody made up at some point. But it's if if you look at there are let's say, four main alien races, including humans, and two more powerful races, and those are have very different philosophies, both in the writing on the show how they're acted, and that that comes true in in the spaceships as well. So that's real that's really fun to see, and it's it's also a game that I played a lot with my girlfriend, so it's it has emotional connections for me. They are two and it's it's it's a fun dice chugger. You wore a ton of dice to see if if you should if you hit each other, yes or no. It's it's essentially more or less starfreet Battles Clone. That's a little a little bit easier rules wise, but it's great fun.
Speaker 1: So now I want to talk more about Splotter. So the the thing about Splotter is they they're a cult publisher and they that the people who are devoted to Splotter are crazy devoted to Splotter. When did you start to realize that you were developing a following?
Speaker 2: Probably after after Indonesia or so, so that that was really the dessert big game, and there was that was also around what a few years after Board Game Gig really started, and of course Red Games Board was was already quite entigesticals also about our games. But I don't know when when it was really a following or when that when it became a following, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And so then if you had to boil it down. I've had this conversation a lot with people in my game group. What would you say is the character of a Splotter game?
Speaker 2: I would say the character? And at least that's how we try to design new games, is that there's at least one new and unique mechanism in there. And it's also a game that's boiled down to it, to its essence, there's no superfluous parts.
Speaker 1: And so then so then when you when you're designing a game, how the duties split between you and yours? Do you have regular things that you excel at? Or is that all mixed up?
Speaker 2: It's it's it's it's very it's very mixed up. I'm sometimes a bit more analytical, and I I play more different board games from other publishers. Yours almost or only plays our prototypes nowadays. So sometimes Yours comes up with a great vis a, great idea, like what what what if you use this type of mechanism, And then I'm like, oh, yes, yes, yes, that's a great mechanism that's exactly in this game already. So then we have to steer steer away from that a little bit. And yours is great in let's say a bit a bit more of the abstract few and and making sure that there is meaningful player interaction and player entanglement for to call it like that. And I'm often more analytical, and I'm like, if if you do the rules like this, if this and this happens, the game breaks. I'm quite good at break at breaking game prototypes, if I say so myself.
Speaker 1: And so the one thing about splotter, because the advantage you have of it not being your profession is that you're under no pressure to release games. So your release schedule is fairly irregular. What prompts you to start a game? Or are you always in the process of.
Speaker 2: Designing We're actually, we're we're always in the process of designing a new game. And uh, before this interview, actually I actually looked looked up and release schedule is is even it's relatively regular, or that we we slow down a lot because both you and myself have gotten busy or with our professional lives, and we no longer live in the same city so it's harder to see each other. But we but we've released a new game about every three years over the past decade or so. And sometimes we also had projects that we've worked on for a year or two years, and then and then we said, hey, we've developed this game or this game idea as as far as it's as it goes, we've distilled down the essence and there's no fun anymore. This is this is not a fun game. And then we discarded that and started with a new idea, and parts of it have appeared in other games, so that that often happens. But so for us, the design process often is we start with this a big thing, this, this is a big idea, and we chop chop away at it and could sometimes we cut away half of the game and that's extremely painful, sometimes more for me than for yours, and sometimes the other way around. But then we always say, hey, let's chop off this half of the game, play it once and see what remains. And sometimes it's it's a bad idea, and often it's like, hey, if we do that, the game improves a lot. For let me let it. Let me give give an example for the for the Great Zimbabwe that originally was was about colonizing an alien planet and there and there were three types of aliens that that would grow on the planet. You would have to defend yourself and your buildings against them. There were laser towers and all the stuff that you could build, and it was it was great fun. But it all so I added well more than double the game at the gameplay time because each turn those aliens had to grow. They each had their own rules for growing. And if I was in the game, it was no problem because I could do it relatively quickly. But we couldn't beg it. You run into every game box. So then we cut that out and we were like, hey, the building buildings center primary and secondary producer change, building up your building up monuments is really the essence of this game, and we should keep that and just remove the combat combating aliens parts. And then we also transplanted it into Africa.
Speaker 1: And so when I think of Splotter games, so I played a game of Antiquity once and I forgot to build wood in the first turn, and so I was never out of the game, but I could never do anything, And so I had sort of three hours of being kicked in the nuts. Space claim and and and your your games can be punishing and in the in the in the bio you sent to me, I can't remember exactly how they phrased it, but it was something like games that reward planning and punish complacency, something like this is the punishing nature of your game's coincidence or is that deliberate?
Speaker 2: It's it's not completely deliberate, but I think there's also a famous quote of your this saying that if if the first turn of the game doesn't doesn't matter, but why have that first turn? And why not when you start the second turn? And it's really a consequence of that design philosophy because if there is nothing meaningful to do in the first turn, we often just could could await it first turn and have you started a little bit later where you can very very actually matter. But that also means that you can make a bad mistake and put yourself out of the game. So the quote is often misinterpreted because it's definitely true that you can be out of a Splotter game in the first turn for a lot of our games, but it then always is your own fault. It's always a mistake that you made yourself. It's you. You cannot kick out another player typically, so that that's something we at least try very hard to guard against, and so do you.
Speaker 1: Have a game of yours that you think is kind of your your archetypal design that sort of sums up your and yours' design sensibility the most.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's a very difficult question, and probably my answer to that is the current game that we're working on. So now I will say, Bailiff of Boscope is that game if you ask me in a few years time, it will be the game that we're working on. Then.
Speaker 1: So your next game then is you one you've already mentioned, and it's a biggie and this is Civilization. So you're an eighteen xx fan and this is a game that you bought when you were young and you played. How important do you think is Francis Tresham to the world of board games?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think he's quite He's quite important because he designed Civilization, which which is a great game. He designed, designed eighteen twenty nine and started the whole eighteen xx scene and then partially walked away from it after eighteen thirty was developed. But he and he never managed to get horse racing into eighteen thirty year, which was his original wish. Or so I hear so in in in that in that sense, for more, more more complicated and more and more involved games. I think he made two of the of the real big titles there, so definitely quite important. And there's there's other things that he that he did as well that's quite admirable, but a little less to my own liking, like Revolution and the Judge and Circuit that that came out after he passed.
Speaker 1: So how good is the story that Civilization tells.
Speaker 2: For me? For for for me? For me, it's it's it's quite good. And I have a weakness for for the original Civilization, though I immediately admit that on Civilization is better as a game because otherwise when that never played Egypt and always pray, always play Creed because it's much much easier to get get certain disasters because they don't affect you. But there's really these big events, specific disasters that will will always happen. They will happen to somebody and that really shape the story and the story of the game and how that specific game develops.
Speaker 1: And Antiquity feels like a sief game to me. Was it inspired by Civilization at all?
Speaker 2: Not so much, I think, because to me, Civilization is is really a trading game. It's it's it's all about the trading and getting the resources, and the game board is secondary, is secondary to that. So so in that sense, and and Antiquity isn't inspired by by that. And Antiquity was really also inspired by by and that. That's why it's even though it's set in the Middle Ages. That's why it's vice called antiguity, uh, but by finiteness of resources in the cities around you, because people whould build up their cities and they were like, hey, we need to build new houses or new buildings, we need more woods. So hey, we go to the forest, we get more wood, and then all of a sudden the wood is gone and it's harder to build new buildings. And that whole spirit of the game is what we tried to capture and I think we did.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk now about the future. So first of all, how.
Speaker 2: Did he maybe maybe also one more thing about Civilization, because there's an extra reason why I picked it, and that's because a little less so for for current titles, but almost all of the earlier Splot heavier Splot Splotted titles, we play tested and created the civilization pieces. So if I have a copy of Civilization, I can design a lot of of extra games that will help.
Speaker 1: So I want to talk now about the future. So whenever a Splotter game comes out. I got one friend in particular, and you know, I say to him, you could go to the Lunar Box and he would he would buy it instantly on pre order because anything with your name on it he absolutely adores. And when Bailiff of Boss Coop came out, he was absolutely cocker Hoop. So so what was the inspiration for the game?
Speaker 2: What there was inspiration for that one? What was twofold we we we We posted this a teaser social media social media image as well, because one of the things was really water management in or in in Holland in early early Middle Ages, because it started out as a swamp and it need it needed to be drained to to be used forul land and really all the the p digging there there and then it turned into a lot of water and when there was a storm, all the all the dykes and all the roads which would flood over and be destroyed and that would need to be managed, et cetera. So that whole history of water management was what what was an inspiration? And also in the game. I mean we uh, we made the bike tours through the area and we visited one of the quite deep lakes and that is there now, which started out well as long so Pete Pete was dug there. So then then then it was a lake and water and that turned into problems, so it was turned into land again and then it was then it was dug down again, and so it really changed from water to land to water a few times, and that that was that was fascinating. So that that was one of the pillars, and then the the other one was the judicial system in that time, because uh, if even if at the same spot you committed to two different crimes, you would you would go to different judges because there there was a judge for low crimes and there was a judge for high crimes. And then and then if if there were water issues there and there there was a dike a digree for that. So that whole idea was also really fun, and we also wanted to capture that in the game. So both of those combined are actually in the game now and good fun, I must add.
Speaker 1: So what are your hopes for the game? And I think it's interesting because if I were to speak to someone whose job it is to be a game designer, a job it is to be a publisher, that they hope they would I assume they would respond, well, they would lie and say I hope people love it. What they mean is is I hope it sells a million copies and makes me rabulously wealthy. But this isn't your job. You do this purely for the love of it, And what are your hopes for the bailiff of Bosco.
Speaker 2: Oh, I definitely hope that it sells a million copies and that people will but not but in all seriousness, I hope that people will love it and play it and and keep playing it. Because one of the problem is a big word, but one one of the hard things currently is how how do you get somebody to to play a game twice? How how does it how does it get to the table that second time? Because often also our games are quite involved, so you probably need need a few plays in order to see all the intricacies, et cetera. But how do you how do you have people actually give give it that chance before just discarding the game and say, hey, I have a million other games that they also want to play.
Speaker 1: So then I'm going to ask you, and I'm hoping for a scoop. I assume I'm not going to get one, but can't blame me for trying. What's the next game?
Speaker 2: Well, you mean after Bailiff of Boss, after Bailiff of Boscope, I don't know yet. I've I've had a few discussions videos on on on a few ideas, but we haven't put we have we haven't put anything to paper yet and and tried because what we often do in the very early stages of a game we just well, in the early earlier days, we would we would take Civilization and say, hey, b we have we have these pieces, this is this, and just have a mechanism and try that out. Just this is this fun? To play this? We we won't have an ending condition or even scoring, but really just the mechanism shoving the pieces around. Just does this work? Can we make a game out of this? But we're not that far yet, so there is no scoop to give yet. Sorry.
Speaker 1: So, when you think about the work you've done since you've formed the company, what impact do you think Splotter has had on the gaming world.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's a hard question. I I would hope that a lot that a lot of people like the designs, and we've we've also in particular seen some of the design ideas copied by other designers, which which which is wonderful. So it's it's really it's really getting out there, getting played and people are liking it.
Speaker 1: And when you see designers I can think of, for instance, I think Laharva was inspired by roads and boats to a large degree. When you see someone like Uve Rosenberg, who's such a nun deniably great design being inspired by your work, how does that feel?
Speaker 2: That's that that that feels great, and it's great, it's it's great. It's great to see to see those things back. And I think even in Agricula already it's inspired by the growing mechanism of farming in antiquity specifically.
Speaker 1: So your last game then is dark Packed. Are you a fan of clever little card games?
Speaker 2: Oh? I did? I definitely am man. Darkbacked is a wonderful deck builder, even though that makes me too, makes me take two Tom Lemon games to the cabin. And so then.
Speaker 1: How does it so we talked about this, how does it stack up against other Tom Lemon games?
Speaker 2: That that's that's that's that's a hard question because I would probably trade it for almost any other Tom Lehman game. I He's he's He's a great guy and and also a great friend. I've met him often, and I love his style of of game design and also his analytical sinking and balancing of of of his games.
Speaker 1: And and so what does Dark Pacts do? Because I think most people listening to this when they think of Tom Lehman think of Race for the Galaxy. But what does Dark Pack do that's different? And and and why is it so special?
Speaker 2: Uh? For for me, the Dark Pact is is a Deck Builders or sing Sink Dominion, except there are two big differences and many more. But the first difference is there's no sets and time where you just count the points and you see who did the best by seeing who scored the most points. There are I forget how many twelve I think twelve Dark packs in the game that you have to buy, and that gives you your victory condition. And if you buy two or three, then you have two or three victory conditions. And those victory conditions are voldly different. They can be something relatively simple like have and I'm making up the numbers here because they don't know them by hard. Have fifty money in your turn, or have all your cards in play, so nothing in your hand, nothing in your deck, nothing in your discard or things like, have twenty actions remaining, all all that stuff. So the variety in there is great. And it's also one big deck that that shuffles, so you never know which victory conditions are gonna show up, so you you have to be pretty flexible and be able to adapt. And then the second thing that I really love and that gives rives to long, long and complicated combos and sometimes long term so I can I can see why that why that could put put off some people is it has these wonderful multiplier cards. So there's simply a two times card and also a three times card, and if you play that together with another card every numeral principle, that card doubles. So you could have a card that says that says draw one card, gain one action, and all of a sudden that says draw two cards and gain two actions. And of course the the player is a printed number, so if you play it two times on the two times, it's certainly four times. That's a key way to get to the fifty gold goal, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But so I've got one more question for you. So you're heading out of Eindoven to the cabin and go around you go around a corner.
Speaker 2: I'm dreading this question already, and the back door of the.
Speaker 1: Car flies open. Four of the games fly out down a ravine, and I'm sure there are tons of ravines in the lands into a river, and I swept away to posterity. Which game do you hope is sitting on the back seat of the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a really cruel question, but I think you get that feedback a lot. I do. I probably the eighteen x X game, so eight three. Ay.
Speaker 1: So if people want to see what Splotter are up to and when the next big game comes out, they can reorder it. How do they go about doing that?
Speaker 2: It's, at least, I hope, very easy. You can go to our website. So just go to splotter dot com and there's a pre order link there. The game will likely be available early twenty seven. It's going to be very tied to get it at the end of this year. We're trying our best, but first quarter twenty seven is more likely at this point. There's also yours has been doing a lot of Facebook posts on the game's design and autographic design and graphic design choices. It's also available as a geek list on Board Game Geeks, so you can follow along their for scoops on the game.
Speaker 1: Excellent, well your own dowmon. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: You can support the show in many ways. You can tell your friends talk about it on social media. You can talk about it in your own blog, podcast or video. You can put it directly going to picture on dot com, forward slash five gfd for a rolling donation or for a one off donation hitting the PayPal link at the website fivegfd dot com. It's these donations that keep the show going. You can join the best discording gaming We're going to five gfd dot com and clicking the button. Also, if you want to say something nice about the show, if you want to see something horrible about the showing, contact me at five Games for Doomsday at gmail dot com. And if I've managed to skip away from the blister and the cat whiskers and the shambling disappointment, I'll see you in two weeks for another five games for Doomsday