Speaker 1: What's that on the wall behind you?
Speaker 2: By the way, Uh looks like a didgerid.
Speaker 1: Wow, I haven't heard of a didery do since Rolf Harris was listed.
Speaker 3: Obvious.
Speaker 1: I do you know what more than you think?
Speaker 3: What a way to start?
Speaker 1: Well, this, of course is the French Open Rowland Garross preview for us because it's a rendezvous with Monsieur Willis and Monsieur Willis you are there now. First of all, obviously you're playing. We're going to talk about the French Open in general. What's your place like? Because you've opted for in air BnB with the interesting interesting DIDs on the wall.
Speaker 2: On the wall, yeah, wooden lizards, DVD box sets, there's a vinyl player in the corner, and the kitchen has peas and character in a can.
Speaker 3: And other things. And the freezer.
Speaker 2: I did see there's some hargain gars, you know, the mini bots, and I went, oh, they've left targons here, and then it's just a rapper. They've not thrown it away, Oh my god, yeah, teasing. Someone obviously lives here quite often and they've obviously rented it out.
Speaker 3: And they're sleeping in the dustin.
Speaker 1: DVD box sets. Can you see them over your shoulder right now? Yeah, okay, first glance, top three, you can see, go what does any three? Any three? Let's go, let's rate them. You're just going to go, You're going to grab them. Marcus has now moved away, but underneath the digerido obviously, if you're listening to this, you can visit our YouTube channel to see it is a faux gas lamp. I want to maybe something like you'd see in a western perhaps. I've seen some red drapes.
Speaker 2: Midnight Express, Shakespeare in Love and look look come back. I feel like they're just fronglaide that I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what Midnight Express, Shakespeare in Love? Okay, rate them? What order?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Midnight Express one, Shakespeare in Love too, I don't even know look him back.
Speaker 3: But that's the only other English one I can see. It's all friends with them.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I'm going to Shakespeare in Love one. Okay, Midnight Express two. That's terrible DVD in, isn't it.
Speaker 3: That's bad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you need I have a quick look because I had to leave you here.
Speaker 3: But but yeah, most of them are French.
Speaker 1: So the places are places good fight club.
Speaker 3: I've seen, oh, fight Club.
Speaker 1: I mean there we go, there we go. It's probably the fight club. The place is good. What's the location like in terms of getting to and from the run of Garross practice courts?
Speaker 2: It's a six minute drive to site or a twenty minute walk. It's about a mile away twenty minutes, fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: The practice facilities off.
Speaker 2: Site there's there's a couple like ten to fifty minute walk away, or you get a transport. I'm playing at Annex today which you can get a golf buggy across five minutes. Yesterday I played at the Jamboe, which was very good. A lot of singles guys are in their training because it's you know, it's twenty twenty clay courts very close to site.
Speaker 3: So hot. Yeah, it's very hot. It's hot in England.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Well I'm in Nurse Sunny South London. It's currently thirty one at nine thirty in the morning. So well done, Sunny South London.
Speaker 3: Done?
Speaker 1: And what what about? Look as you are now officially a Grand Slam veteran, having just about to play all four Slams, how do they rate to Ossie, Open, US and Wimbledon.
Speaker 3: It's just different isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's it just feels different because you're playing on clay b. It's kind of around the corner like US and Aussium but Yanks away, aren't they, especially Aussie, But like you're on a I was here an hour and our hour on.
Speaker 3: A flight like that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's nice. It's it's got everything you need. I'd say it's quite congested, like when you eat. There's not many places to sit down, especially when there's a lot a lot of people here the first few days.
Speaker 3: But everything's in light.
Speaker 2: Facilities good, good gym locker rooms great. I've got an actual locker with a code on and like a wooden locker, which is pretty cool. Yeah, yes, it's it's it's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember you telling us at the Aussie Open about like the washing systems and lay day and all of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had their laundry yesterday evening. It's coming back up to today, so I don't know. Comes in like a box apparently nice one day yesterday and I'm going there again in the minute. So I've only seen bits of it so far. I hit on site in the morning, hit offsite in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: You said about the courts oh, first of all, do you sweep your own courts?
Speaker 3: Those people were sweeping and watering.
Speaker 1: And you said about the singles guys, I've got really big dumb questions here. I hope the listeners appreciate that these these are This is the kind of insight that I need. You said, the singles guys are practicing obviously the tournament this year, Yannick Sinner on the men's side is so head and shoulders favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you ever see as these singles guys are passing each other along walkways, as there may be going on each other's courts, do you ever see a little bit of tension between them?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Is everyone a friend kind of or.
Speaker 3: Like some of it?
Speaker 2: And everyone's quite chilled out behind closed doors. I mean you should people see them playing matches in the middle of battle, so they're going to be on quite high alert. I mean some people get angry on the practice court or but not often not from what Yeah.
Speaker 1: And for you, for you doubles guys, are you what practices have you done so far?
Speaker 2: I played practice points yesterday on site at eight am with a French pair, and then we did like our own thing in the afternoon and Louis came on, so me, Louis and Adam on court just working on a few things. In the afternoon we did hour and a half, an hour and a half, so I'm gonna have a light to day today because it's boiling.
Speaker 3: I'm doing four or six one one hour points and then.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just some some technical stuff after and then probably playing Tuesday.
Speaker 1: And before we come on to the match. Louis and Yakub have they got any history any.
Speaker 2: No, Louis saw him players matches in Australia because he watched my matches and I was playing with him, so he knows him. But they've never met before.
Speaker 1: And Louis Kaye, for those of you who don't know, is largely considered probably the best doubles coach of all time. Works for the LTA here in the UK. Lots of letters there, and he's not shy about coming forwards. Let's put it that way. Is he straight into Yakub or is he all about you? With the odd comment to Yakub Because I just having been on courts with Louis, I just I can't imagine him holding back on anyone.
Speaker 2: He's he's looking at what we're doing as a pair and being pretty helpful, and like around tournament time he said, it's time to brush up on things.
Speaker 3: We're not going to change things now, it's just how do we get.
Speaker 2: Ourselves, you know, ready for a match and most effective tomorrow. It's not he's not going to start like doing technical stuff with us on court in terms of you know, technique.
Speaker 3: Or body parts or things like that.
Speaker 2: So no, he's very positive and helpful, especially around tournament time, like on the practice scot and training blocks.
Speaker 3: For something that needs fixing, he'll tell you, but then I'll come up with a solution. So it's not. Yeah, he's I think he's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Have you been anywhere else other than your apartment and the practice centers?
Speaker 2: Went for dinner last night? Italian about fifteen minute walk and that's it. I'm going to go meet my coach for a coffee now. Yeah, I don't know how far he is away, but I'll say he's probably ten minutes around the corner.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to go for a.
Speaker 2: Coffee now, and then you're getting the transport of midday.
Speaker 1: I suppose what a day you planned, my friend. Well, let's look ahead to the match against the Argentinian pair in the second part of today's podcast almost guaranteed to be better than the first. Welcome back to what you're talking about, Willis Podcast Part du Let's talk about the drawer itself, Marcus Willis you tennis Rowland Garrossa. You've got two singles guys.
Speaker 3: Right, Bet and Hugo Carabella. Yeah, well, at.
Speaker 2: The moment we do, you are very lost yesterday. There's a chance that he wants to go on before the grass season because it's probably an opportunity, or if he doesn't, he'll stay and if basically if we play them, they'll be trying.
Speaker 1: Right, because there's always a danger with these singles guys, they have a good couple of results and their mind wanders away from the doubles, right, Is it worse that he lost.
Speaker 3: If he plays, then yeah.
Speaker 1: If he doesn't play, what happens we'll.
Speaker 2: Get an alternate pairing, which is you know, I think first out is Rosia Escobar, then it's Barry and Toss b Hard. Then it's yeah, it's not it's not nice whoever we play.
Speaker 1: Really so it's top top elice sport.
Speaker 3: But we're preparing to play the Argentina.
Speaker 1: It's I mean we're talking. Echeberry is probably the one that's the higher profile of twenty eight in the world now, but is you know, there's he's had some battles out there, and then Hugo Carabelli fifty nine in the world. Both are in the top one eighty in doubles, so you know they are active in doubles, although when you look at their results in the past, neither have really been past second third rounds tops. When you're looking through that when the draw comes out, are you looking for a singles players or are you looking for a doubles pair or how does that work?
Speaker 3: It depends what doubles.
Speaker 2: If you've got a top eight seed it's not or top sixteen seed it's It's tough. But I'd say if we're playing Wimbledon and we're playing them, that's so much nicer draw than playing them on the clay. Yeah. I think they may they may have third round us third round. Yeah, so they've beaten some good you know, the results against doubles players are good when they try. I mean Hugo Carabelli famously and then to be last year after the French he was playing with someone from another country and he says, like, I can't communicate, I'm just here for the money and kind of tanked. But since then he's not. Every time he's stepped on, I think he's tried. So yeah, it's it's yeah for Roland Garross. If you're playing two good Argentinean singles players, it's that can play doubles as well. It's not ideal, but I say, could could be worse. You could be playing top seed second seeds. But as far as singles players go, you don't get it much tougher than them. No, No, maybe maybe I Vasher run nikonech or something like that.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah I looked at that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, out of singles guys, like, yeah, that's not nice.
Speaker 1: Because there's quite a few singles and doubles guys teamed up. But yeah, you're right, and yeah, I mean we spoke about it over Wimbledon last year. The singles guys. Would you say that they're just more more versatile, Like there's a they do different things with the serve especially Yeah in what way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably bigger, They serve bigger, and they serve more aggressively at spots. They're not trying to set up their doubles part at the net, they're trying to win the point bang right, which yeah, obviously if yeah, if they're missing first serveson giving you a lot of seconds and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just serve. Yeah, it's it's different. It's more powerful. They go more aggressive.
Speaker 2: They can change direction down the line better, so they've got no issue kind of stepping around and thumping the ball.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of doubles guys. Yeah, they hit the ball big, but they're on top of the net.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just different, and it's it's on clay. It's yeah, it's tougher. They've got more time, the balls bouncing everywhere. They can scud the ball around, they can hold the ball weight, hit angles.
Speaker 1: How do you what does that mean for you? Because I guess there's a serving pair you and Yaka. But it doesn't really change too much. You're going to be there are thereabouts like you're in control, aren't you? That bit the the returning part of the game though, facing that serve. How does that alter it? Yaka's a great returner, of course, we've spoken about that before. What yeah, I mean, I'm thinking maybe more more on your side mate, What happens on that juice side. As a returner against a single server.
Speaker 2: I've just got more space I suppose if I've probably going to get aced.
Speaker 3: A bit more.
Speaker 2: But when I do connect with the ball, I love more space to return, but they probably won't be so volleying. So you know, if I if I catch one hit it you know, low over the let and it's short, it's not going to be as effective.
Speaker 3: So I have to change and try and get deeper.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I don't really know until I get out there and see how they're playing, and you know, we've got a fair idea of what they're going to do. They don't have any massive patterns, but you know, game plans are great until you have three leved down.
Speaker 3: Sure, and oh we can it a back hand down the line? Oh he can't, Okay, So so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's nice to know what to expect, but you've got to ultimately you've got to try and keep your first percentage high and put pressure on them and stop them swinging if you can, which is easier than that.
Speaker 1: Now, we're not going to keep you long today.
Speaker 3: But this could be a whole conversation about a.
Speaker 1: Pair of course, when do you find that out.
Speaker 3: When the order of play comes out.
Speaker 2: Wow, so that'll be I guess this afternoon, the order of play and if they're if they're if they're on the schedule, I'm guessing they're playing.
Speaker 3: I'd expect them to play at this stage.
Speaker 1: But at any point can they pull out for an ultimate or is there if the order of play comes out and then they pull out, is there any way get a bye?
Speaker 3: No, there's no where, and I don't think you should get by No.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, I just you know, like, is there is there a deadline for them?
Speaker 3: It was really the only way you can get is if you play a few games and they pull out. But there's there's no need for them.
Speaker 1: No, of course, not of course, not now.
Speaker 2: But people used to do that because they wouldn't get paid if they didn't step on court. But then you get people going on injured, playing five games, shaking hands and it's kind of a waste of time.
Speaker 1: Rather famously, on this podcast, your partner Yak of Paul doesn't actually look at the drawer and things. Is he aware of who you're playing?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 2: No, I've told I've told my coach, I've told Louis that he doesn't know. He didn't like to know who's playing, so he'll know when the order of play comes up.
Speaker 1: Mentally, So when you've got your training session, do you ever find yourself like accidentally, you know, saying, yak of what we might want to prepare for is perhaps playing some singles guysers, perhaps from Argentina.
Speaker 3: No, I don't, I I.
Speaker 2: Don't. I'm tempted to just wind them up and stuff and say, oh, there's no point in practicing with these guys tomorrow. Nothing like I'm kind of which I've kind of done. I've kind of set up practice so that we're you know, not playing you know, lefties who were And.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you too much better practice against spaghetti string, Okay mate, I can't say too much. I'll just say spaghetti string.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So it's tempting that I haven't yet. I resisted the urge.
Speaker 2: It's so weird, so like it's almost like a suspense. But also how has no one come up to him and giving him tips.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, no one's done the big tennis player handshake that one there, like that one where you go, yeah, just I just saw Achi Erry. He's looking good.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Why Well that bothered me, mate, You've got to go. I know this was a quickieat so best of luck. Not sorry at all that we're going to be catching up all throughout the French and we might not speak to you now until after the battle.
Speaker 3: We'll see. Yeah, I might have a m have a minute here or there if you can.
Speaker 2: Victor of Baranco on troump.
Speaker 3: Sergeant Major of Craig Frederick on.
Speaker 2: The trumpets and the composition the Army bluesh lock up that