Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty six of five and Dive. It is Monday of July twenty seventh. I'm your host, Craig Gold, soon joined as usual by Patrick Dubuque and Jeffrey pattern Nostro. We had a weekend. Do we have any weekend? Banter?
Speaker 2: Did I do? This weekend? Always a good time? And I was just like, it's been one hundred and five degrees basically every day and will continue to be one hundred and five degrees every day this week. So I just don't want to leave the house basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, understandable. Patrick. Are you still right now? Are you still deck?
Speaker 3: I am still deck the decks?
Speaker 2: So Patrick, I have a question about the deck at this point. I don't know how you value your own time.
Speaker 3: Oh not very well? Apparently.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you hire someone to do the deck?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I value my time. Uh. The thing about sweat equity is that when you don't have any money, the calculation has become incredibly easy. Sure, so, no, it's almost done all I have to do.
Speaker 2: I'm I am, But I don't need help budgeting.
Speaker 3: No, I don't anticipate. I didn't anticipate in needing a third coat it needed a third coat, and so now I have half of a coat. I need to put a coat on half the deck. But everything's back on it all the all the you know, the furniture that we never use is back on the deck.
Speaker 1: It's just not in the places you need.
Speaker 3: No, No, I did. I did the half of the deck where everything goes, and I haven't done the half of the deck where in the middle where people walk. So so three four more hours tops.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can't I can't wait.
Speaker 3: I know, I can't wait either. My arm hurts like it's it's sore. My arm is sore ye, and it's like, luckily, you know, I'm right handed, so it's not a heart attack. Otherwise I'd be constantly worried.
Speaker 2: Abou See, this is one of the advantages of being from a bowling family and bowling since I was six years old. I just have an entire network of contractors, electricians pluing. Oh, I thought, No, I get people. I make a phone call, I buy a bottle of whiskey to have it there for after. Whatever gets done gets done.
Speaker 1: For my part, I went to my first DC United soccer game. You did the weekend first MLS scam ever out you field. Very nice. Everyone has had told me that, and uh, really quite nice. I got a ninety eighth minute penalty on Vaar. They had to They did not call it on the field, had to eventually go to the screen. A bunch of people threw bottles down on the field too. It was it was a little round easy there. Yeah, but they got the pen. I sent you the video, Jeff, you reviewed it. I mean easy as you.
Speaker 2: Like, good pen No stutter step, just picked up the corner.
Speaker 1: Goalie, guess right, but he just yeah, I had conviction on it, and yeah it was. It was a great time. So that was That was my weekend. That was my bank. Shall we just get into the show?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: All right? Our first segment because I'm free falling. I'm not going to sing it. I'm free I'm free falling it and I do know the reference. Yes, I apologize the Marlins. We discussed them either last literally ago. I'm guessing, well, no, right, but I think last one too. No, I guess we just did the Jays and Cardinals last time. But the time before that, I think we also discussed the Marlins in the midst of like a six game losing stream. Well, it's twelve. They've doubled it. Boy, I guess it's good to have clarity.
Speaker 3: Sure, I mean they they've lost twelve in a row, and they are how many backgree three out?
Speaker 1: Right now? It's the Yeah, I mean it's I guess it's not that clear, but it is absolutely.
Speaker 2: It's clear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they've manufactured some pretext right right, like oh, you're only three games out, but also you're the Marlins, and that's not a shot at the Marlins specifically, like as the team, but like in terms of how they want to operate, they didn't. They didn't want to. They preferred to No, I don't. I'm sure if you I don't know what they're gonna sell.
Speaker 2: If you put the Golden lasso around Peter Bendix, I'm sure he is not right. He's upset, like this is our contra available now, and what's not particularly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would well, I would think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we've gone from maybe two weeks ago when the Marlins were ten games over to being like okay, like the only starters traded might be two Mets arms and tom me Yuki Sigano, to like, now, okay, maybe that you know the Tigers have faded a little bit, so Google might be there. The Angels are at least talking about det Meurs and Soriano, and the Marlins may have faded enough. But Contra is available, so it does make the pitching market a little more interesting theoretically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, yeah, I don't know. I agree on on al Contra. I think that would make a lot of sense. I also don't know. I don't even know how you value it at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I mean I would say, if you look at what Curtis Mead just went for and we will in a minute, do you think about save your Edwards? Do you think about Auto Lopez? You think about Sinel hasmen that good? But do you think about like some of your young cost controlled in fielders.
Speaker 3: Well, Craig bar is looking only trade for one.
Speaker 2: Of them, so they still want to stop apparently.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, I guess you can say you think about it. I don't know how you scale up, yeah, need to? I mean, like, okay, they've both broken out, but Lopez is a premium defender at a premium position.
Speaker 2: Me Meat is none of those things, the opposite of those things.
Speaker 1: Closer to a Butcher at a non premium position, right, he might be.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean if you play out a Lopez at second base, which you can in the Marlins have in the past, the defensive gap between him and me at that position is significant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're you're probably talking about literally the top of the scale, and yes, somewhere related to the bottom.
Speaker 2: You got to use the whole scale. And here it is. So, I mean they have like they can trade a legal trade fluchet, right, they have relievers they can move to as sort of.
Speaker 1: A Michael Peterson is one of their best relieverers, and you could move. You can.
Speaker 2: You can't trade, I mean you can, but you can't pitch in the cold or apparently in Miami, so.
Speaker 3: You really have to.
Speaker 1: San Diego needs to come home.
Speaker 2: I mean, like Contra is a big one here, right, Like that's the.
Speaker 1: I think that's right.
Speaker 2: That's like they're like if they are, we'll get to this when we get to the we're not really when we talk about Tigers at least entertaining interests on schoobl But like, once you make the decision to trade O Contre, you just trade everything at that point, right, because you're not really, But I.
Speaker 1: Guess the point is, like, what is every No, Look, you they can actually trade Edwards and Lopez and that could be everything, but like then you're legitimately starting over, and I don't think that may be.
Speaker 2: And it's like not a particularly deep system and position players either. And again I don't think, Look, will Attawalpez be this good next year? Probably not, but like he'll still.
Speaker 1: I think he's I think he's good.
Speaker 2: Trade Like, you're not going to lose a ton of trade value holding him for another year.
Speaker 1: Well he hit three forty, probably not. Will will he be a good player? I think so it might look I don't even know that. I think he'll be as as quote unquote bad, as as average as this I'm gonna say, but like it might be more like the Michel Garcia arc, right where he had that breakout and everyone thought thinks, oh, this guy is legit, and I think he is legit. And he's been a little bit down from from that this He's been fairly down from that this year, but is still in the range of like, this is a good player still that that might be more of what that arc.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's in some ways it's a there's an old poker analogy metaphor. I guess like once you once you put your chips all in, it doesn't matter what order the cards come out on. Come in and come out in like they're two games under a five hundred. I think we would have thought they were two games under five hundred at this point as a team, and just it's come out in an unusual order.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, is that I've never had a good grasp on what I.
Speaker 2: Don't I don't think it's might be an aphorism, yeah, Patrick Patrick.
Speaker 3: Uh, Okay, we don't know. I mean I almost is it. No, I think it's more of a maximum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll go that.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on speaking of Patrick to the Mariners. What are we speaking of Patrick?
Speaker 3: The Mariners?
Speaker 1: The Mariners scratched one victory out in their series against the Rangers, mitigating some damage.
Speaker 2: It could have been worse, could have been worse.
Speaker 1: They are eight and eleven thus far in July, two four game losing streaks. They've worked one three game win streaking.
Speaker 2: There may he get harder to have than I.
Speaker 1: Was gonna say. Lack of clarity.
Speaker 3: I swear to God Logan Gilbert every time I look at a pitching line, it's five and a third inning, three three ear in runs, and he has a three point four ERA, And I don't understand how it happens because I know I would hear it if you like pitch seven shut out, So it.
Speaker 1: Must be just like, I don't even know what line.
Speaker 3: What is the most anonymous pitching line for Loger Gilbert to have. I guess it would be like six, six and two. I guess just having a budget runs.
Speaker 1: You know, I think six and two is too good. I think you got six and a third three three earned.
Speaker 2: There's the problem is he is a three point four R. So it's like when the individual samples like it's got to be like once you go some yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's averaging five and five and two thirds and two basically that's it.
Speaker 2: Isn't that low. I feel like Gilbert generally has worked pretty deep into games.
Speaker 1: That's historically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's averaging just over six a game. So I don't know, it's it's just weird. None of these pictures are as good as.
Speaker 2: They should be, right, and the lineups terrible.
Speaker 1: The Mariners are the only team in the division with a positive run differential here we go. I don't know that that matters. I mean, it's like the difference.
Speaker 2: It's like just like one of these teams are good.
Speaker 1: The Rangers. The Rangers are minus running five and the Mariners are plus twelve. That's not a it's both not think it's easy easily swamped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are.
Speaker 1: The Mariners are a game and a half back of the Rangers.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I think on talent, say the line Craig, the Mariners are.
Speaker 1: The best team in this division. I don't know that that matters. Like we can talk about on talent. We're in July, late July.
Speaker 2: What's cow Rally's current ops plus?
Speaker 3: Right, And that's what I was going to say, right, Yeah, I mean I'm gonna have to write about this, I think at some point. But like, we've never seen this. We've never seen this happen before. Like a guy going from a fifty home run season to this. There's only been one fifty home run season in baseball history that was followed up by ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sixty home run season, just yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: We could do sixty. It's even what was a shorter list, sixty. It's Roger Merris getting a one twenty eight ops plus for fifty home runs. We had Chris Davis having one like bad season where he like he was in ninety seven, Like he had a ninety.
Speaker 2: Seven understand and I know Brandy Brady, and.
Speaker 3: He was good. He was also like a one to twenty eight or something. He just had eighteen home runs and a bunch of doubles. Uh No, Like, we've only had one time in baseball history where somebody was below league average just offense, and he was, and Chris Davis was at that point still a decent defensive first baseman and was worth one and a half wins. Contra always got some catching up to do to get to one and a half wins in the sense that I don't think it's possible he makes it is.
Speaker 1: Are have you looked at ours in terms of his his framing dropping off that way?
Speaker 3: No, his framing is actually still extremely strong. He's I think the second I think we have him as the second best framer in the league, behind him Dingler, which is funny because probably on a rate basis, he's been better than Dingler because he's.
Speaker 2: He's just turned from to Patrick Bailey.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, essentially, except somehow uglier plate appearances.
Speaker 1: I mean he's at one point one war Yeah, yeah, it's almost all.
Speaker 2: Some of this is probably the injury, but also he was not hitting before the injury.
Speaker 3: It was not its been a while since the injury.
Speaker 1: Do your see Plus has him at ninety three, which is both an insane drop off from last year and and frankly the year before, and also dramatically better than his actual production.
Speaker 2: They're gonna like his process generally. I think the problem is I.
Speaker 1: Didn't look at that. Have you looked at his ninetieth.
Speaker 2: Ev No, But it's something I actually have.
Speaker 1: Would you look I have it? Do you know what it is? I don't know. I want to guess.
Speaker 2: One O seven.
Speaker 1: It's one of six?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like again like yeah, I mean, look.
Speaker 1: Which is slightly above average?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look he's extremely optimized obviously, Like that was his whole thing last year.
Speaker 1: Launch launch angle, real high twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's getting up to the that's what he does. It is that's also getting a little too high.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, Oh, I absolutely agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, he's not the only issue here, No, but he's you know, the look, I don't think you were counting on him having a sixty home run season again, but you're probably counting on him being like twenty twenty four cow Rally.
Speaker 1: Yes, another problem here, Josh Naylor. Yeah, yeah, this was everything we Look, I loved the acquisition last series, a good fit for the park and blah blah blah. But like they made that deal very quickly, and I think we all thought, boy, that's that's a lot for Josh Naylor.
Speaker 2: So I will say on rally, looking in the data, like, there's not He's always chased a lot. He's still chasing a lot. His you know, ninetieth is down a mile and a half over last year. Max is down five. Now that doesn't like, does it really matter that he's clustering between one oh six and one ten, then one seven and one fifteen. It's on a MAX kind of it might be it might be indicative of the way that's gonna tweak. Yeah, yeah, I think. But the big difference here might be the reason for the lost MACS velocity. His swing speed is down a mile and a half.
Speaker 1: That's per hour there you are, and.
Speaker 2: A seven seven percent swing right, And look, he's got a very long swing. He has one of the longest swings in baseball, which is fine when you know you're half long swing a mile and a half off.
Speaker 1: Just not to be too sicky, are you using the the MLB definition of long swing? I mean it's like it where where he makes contact.
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's still like I mean, yes, but it is still a lot.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it is visually. I'm just kind of curious. Was I was just curious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And again like he's had little like his his swing decisions haven't been quite as good. His own contacts gone down a couple of points.
Speaker 1: So there's like other there's big stuff and little stuff.
Speaker 2: The big stuff and little stuff. That's all. I mean, Like, you don't go from twenty twenty five to twenty twenty six without put those things happening, I assume, But I don't know how much of it is, you know, a one year blip, and how much of it is well, you know, he is a catcher. He is he's got to be. He thirty now, I mean it is twenty nine, so the catcher about to turn thirty. You know, like that's.
Speaker 1: You know, we like you asked before you played one hundred, yeah, seventy five games, and you've.
Speaker 2: Asked before a lot you're in the early in the pod, Like, have you ever seen this before? I thought you were going to go with like catchers and like the first one that comes to mind for me is Jonathan Lucroy when it just went went like really, now, look, the framing is still pretty good. Like I think the athleticism is for what it is, isn't that different. But like that's the like with catchers. Man, like he did play a lot of games, he did get banged up this year. I would accept some sort of bounce back, but sometimes it just doesn't happen when you're a thirty year ol catcher and they probably need to figure out a way too, you know, d HM Moore going forward and like getting.
Speaker 3: Having a backup better than the jorcer. Yeah, probably on the priority list, it's not in the system.
Speaker 1: So no, I think one of the wild look, and they're not that far out of a playoff spot. They're they're right around five hundred, they're two games under, So it's all going to be a mixed bag. But like if you if you had told me you're going to get this season from Randy or Rose Arena in this season from Dominic can Zone, I would have said oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: The problem is that all that's literally all guy, I know.
Speaker 1: It's it's well, you know, like Julio has been fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just hasn't had the second half Julio yet maybe.
Speaker 1: The right but this is a frankly better than first half Kenny, right, So.
Speaker 3: But j Crawford is at the end of the line.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, look, they they made a big move for Brendan Donovan. Yep, we I know I bring this up. And he's been very good when he's healthy. He's not been available.
Speaker 2: He's played twenty five games this year out of yeah, you know, the Sugert and whatever they played.
Speaker 1: So that's that's a big piece missing. But also like Brendan Donovan shouldn't be the big piece. He's a he's a good gap filler, right, And I'm not I'm not trying to be derogatory, like I think he's a really good player, but he is like a really high quality lineup lengthener, not your centerpiece, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, the the problem is they are so they are starting to fire this next generation of top position player prospects. Young and Amerson are gonna be the first two. They're gonna have more coming down line, and like Young has been fine.
Speaker 3: Young is also like the most easily the best position player prospect they've graduated since. I mean, yeah, you would think they're bringing a munch of position players.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh no, yeah, like Emerson is a better prospect than Young.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you have two years of runway too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like it's there are I did not predict the hit tool going like this. I figured if he was struggling a little bit, it would be like hitting an empty two forty not what this is. But you know, this is something they can work itself out.
Speaker 3: Right, And this is like if there's any comfort in this, this this is exactly how cold Young's rookie year winning.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, sure, but I think I think if you think, I mean, that's not but also are only if you guys are only getting to you know, one hundred and ten ops plus, Like that's not enough. And yeah, Young is a good I don't think Young this is good a defender a second basis is d rs. But yeah, a good defender. It wouldn't be enough.
Speaker 1: It would be enough if cal Rawley, Yeah, if Leo get is one twenty five instead of one ten ops plus and and if Randy or Reserina and Dominic Canzone are gonna hit like this, it would absolutely be enough. But that's this is the thing is like it's a little bit like when people do their fantasy teams and take all the high risk, high reward guys and you get the mixed back and ultimately it's like, no, those the rewards don't actually weigh, you know, outweigh all the risks you took. You end up middle of the field, you know, middle of the pack. Excuse me, And yeah, I mean when you need everything to go right.
Speaker 2: Right right, And this is this is a really bad bench too. So like if any of these guys get design, yeah, like.
Speaker 3: The Poto puts together a terrible bench because he won't need them because he's so he's so great at putting a line up together that why would you even need a bench? Why? Which is why you have Victor Rob Blaze can like not hitting again. Like it's been a while now since Relays had there's like two hundred good plate appearances. They got him a contract extension, Rob Resn like Rob rath Snyder is this is very funny from Mariners Fance because this is Tommy Listella. This is like the Mariners seem to manage to find the guy whose career just bottoms out every time they're looking for a bench bat.
Speaker 2: They did this with Ryan Bliss too. It's like the prospect version of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they just need you gotta trade Rob rath Snyder back to the Red You just at this point.
Speaker 2: You just don't handed bat anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't like a problem. He's a bench bat. It should be Okay.
Speaker 3: It's weird with the ref Snyder thing, right.
Speaker 2: Because defensive second basement than Curtis Meade.
Speaker 1: Snyder. Yeah, we're starting a conversation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they did this last year with Rowdy Tell's. They did it the year before with who was it the year before the Maybe they didn't have one year before, but they always seem to sign a veteran to a one year deal. It's just a turner, I guess.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is a funny Rowdy tell his story.
Speaker 3: Mitch Hannagher again and Mitch Channiger again was one of them the DH before. He was Mitch Garver, the backup catcher. They they always seem a J.
Speaker 1: Pollock is a good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They always seem to sign these these veterans. Tommy Listella is like the patrons saying to them.
Speaker 2: Are they going to get Jones next year?
Speaker 3: And there's never a good explanation for why they fail other than just them being Tommy Listell. It's really easy in retrospect to go, oh, yeah, you signed Tommy Listella and he was bad because he's Tommy Lastella. But he's only bad because you signed Tommy Listella. You know, the sliding doors were timing thesis to be an angel or something is probably guess about three years in his career or something. They kill everyone. It's weird and like you can't.
Speaker 1: Right, but they have to. They have to play the park, right, I mean, like so I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You say that. I know people say that, like baseball players aren't recognizable, but they're not like you know, you wouldn't take see if you're walking down the street. I was doing video recently, just I wasn't I was working a picture and I just saw this guy come to a play and like that's rowdy tells like without immediately look, I would know.
Speaker 1: Look there's guys you have capital all caps, ye face and rowdy tails is one of them. I would also recognize Ronald Bellisario anywhere. Okay, I would recognize that face anywhere. Uh, well, we are on the Mariners. There was a note that Emerson Hancock is available.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I'm not. I assume this is for some sort of I guess people call them challenge trades, but essentially.
Speaker 1: This is a version of the meaning it's going to be.
Speaker 2: It's going to be an arm for a bat probably, right, that's probably the like a young, good cost controlled bat that maybe you know, I don't know what you think about Hancock at this point, but.
Speaker 1: He's I think he's a good picture.
Speaker 2: He's a good picture, right, So you're going to get like a three?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Maybe, yeah, you would start him in a playoff fare.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I guess I don't think he's different that different from I guess he's not that different Connelly Early.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get to we'll get that.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying like, yeah, yeah, but yeah, he's got understand much control. Yeah, he's got four years of control, so four plus. So they trade him now, so yeah, I think you could get.
Speaker 1: I think they need to get someone better than Curtis me sure.
Speaker 2: But also I think.
Speaker 1: We'll get there.
Speaker 2: I guess you could do this way. I mean, I guess you could do it literally with the Nats if you wanted to. But like, there's there's going to be a small number of teams that are willing to do this kind of swamp because like, if you're the Cubs, you could actually use Emmerson Hancock, But like.
Speaker 1: I don't think I don't think they could get because I think they're in a different position team wise. But like, is this like Auto Lopez? Sure? I was thinking, like what's a challenging trade in that they're both in a breakout year. Yeah, there's more risk on on Hantock just as a pitcher, So I don't think it's quite even, right. I also don't think the Marlins given the station there in right, I want to put all their risks in a in a picture bass, right.
Speaker 2: Especially after what happened with white and smelling this year. Right, So I I I just wonder how this works. Like the White Sox kind of makes sense in a way because they have like do you want to trade Emerson Hancock for Miguel Vargus. I don't think about megl Vargus hitting that park either versus Sorry, just a rate field but like, like, like Colson Montgomery has low key not been great this season, and they have other shortstop options, Like could would you trade Emerson Hancock for Colson Montgomery? Like sing it out loud, it sounds really weird, right.
Speaker 1: I don't think either team would do that.
Speaker 2: Right, That's the thing, right, Like you get when you're doing the Hancock trade, you end up with a scenario where you don't think I'd like a lot of the trades. I'm going to say out loud, like, I don't think either team would do that. I could see the Marlins doing it. It's gonna be very highly like, I mean, yeah, it's a different way.
Speaker 3: It's a different type of team like situation, Like the Potterys and Diamondbacks could both use Hancock and neither of them has anybody in that type of mode to trade, right.
Speaker 2: I think part of the problem too, is if you're the Mariners, like, yeah, get the best controlled hitter you can get for Hancock, but you kind of don't want to add another infielder to that mix either, just another you're a Donovan like so now you only look at outfielders and.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't do it. Patrick, But I think you could talk me a noted skeptic, although I mean like I like them, but whatever her older Predoma mm hmmmmmm. Now now he's by reference where he's a three win player already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think p Doma's too.
Speaker 1: He's a league average bat and you know, and yeah in T mobile, Yeah that's dropping.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just like he is that just like Fancy Cole at this point, though maybe maybe right well, the thing is like, but that is.
Speaker 1: Not I don't know. I don't think Arizona would do it. I think he made too big a name for himself last year, and like, look.
Speaker 2: They don't really they don't really like the Diamondbacks still have designs on competition and like we'll need I guess I could try to play Jordan. Jordan lul are healthy right now, I assume the answer that question.
Speaker 3: Is now almost I.
Speaker 2: Would say they don't have another short stop.
Speaker 1: But this is also going to sound weird because it's it's just dealing with a fantasy, okay, But a deal that would make sense for the Mariners would be like if Kobe Mayo was good, He's not.
Speaker 2: Good, sure, I reckon if Jordan's was healthy.
Speaker 1: If Kobe Mayo was good hand, Like this version of Hancock and that version of Kobe Mayo would be a very interesting challenge trade matchup for both of those orders, right, Like that would be the kind of thing that would make sense. I recognize everyone he's not and it's.
Speaker 2: Not to be clearly not good, but like he.
Speaker 1: Does have the power to play in T mobile and that would be you know, and then you could you could flex Brendan Donovan around even more whenever he's healthy. That kind of thing. But like that that's a fact, which I guess is what you're talking about a little bit with Coulson Montgomery.
Speaker 2: But like, yeah, I just don't think I like, the White Sucks are not creative in that particular way like they would really and actually creative. They're they're going to be more risk averse in these kind of trades, right the team that literally is adding Osier Katie.
Speaker 3: The other thing is that like I don't know, I mean, it would end the the terrible piggyback situation that's been going on. But the Red Socks were able to take it early because they have Patrick Sanderbal basically pitching like as well as Lily was. This is going to be Louis Castillo and he is not pitching as well, Like they're gonna the Marriers are gonna feel it.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's interesting. The thing I read something on this rumor popping up and and it was basically like, if you would have thought the Mariners would trayed someone, it would be lose Castillo. But obviously there's mark.
Speaker 2: Want to get something back. I mean that you want to get.
Speaker 1: Something back, but I also don't know that. So the actual the problem is their reputation as a as a pitching dev or a little bit cuts against them in this way. And then I think breakout, they have a breakout arm who they're suddenly willing to deal. What does that tell you, ma.
Speaker 2: I mean that just that could be something. It could be nothing, sure, but it could be decided.
Speaker 1: Other side of the deal. You have to ask it, and that makes it harder, right. I absolutely agree they might just be trying to be like, let me, let us get something real in return for a real piece. But all the time, if this, if they're willing to deal this guy, what does that telling you?
Speaker 2: I mean, they've said before that Gilbert and Kirby have been available and the sort of scuttle butt was that they just wanted too much for them. So it's possible that Han Kong is available and they just end up wanting too much. If it were me, like I make this trade, I'm like, we're calling up Kate Anderson. Let's go like that what they're going to do? Yeah, calculus here, we're just calling up Kat Anderson?
Speaker 1: Who else? Could you.
Speaker 2: Don't limit yourself? So like the Rays are off, they're capable, they don't have the piece to send back. Is the problem.
Speaker 1: They're trying to get scooble Man.
Speaker 2: I know, but they don't know if they if they want to make the major if they want to right, if the Mariners want a major league hiter back, which I assume they do, I don't think they want not Carsonians. The Rays have junior Cameronaro who they are not straight. And then I mean t Mobile can't hurt Chandler Simpson. Yeah, yeah, I don't like you.
Speaker 1: You mentioned do you think that Nationals could be interested on the pitching front? But I don't really know who you're going, Like, I think C. J. Abram is going to command more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it is too. I think the and look the Mariners have other like the Mariners could include like Michael Royal right or Dolon and Cell Stean right to send an infielder back. I think Royal is playing some outfield for some reason. But like that, like, I.
Speaker 1: Think they could sure where you place. I don't think Seattle is going to want to play C. J. Abrams what they've been willing to put up with.
Speaker 2: So honestly about the Nationals, I'm probably just extended C. J Abrams at that I would know.
Speaker 1: I agree he might end up in center field, which I think is fine. Yeah, I just I don't know who who else?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Milwaukee certainly has options to send back right.
Speaker 1: But not quite the major league contributor options the like tested ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's probably they have.
Speaker 1: They have a number of up the middle guys who are close to major league ready whatever. But you know, if the Mariners are trying to do a challenge trade that doesn't sell on the season.
Speaker 2: Right and they look they shouldn't because I don't actually believe in the Rangers.
Speaker 3: So I will say, I will say to Poto, I'm sure it's just looking at Cooper Pratt's contract shamed envy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I will say we should move on because there's two more teams in this segment alone, But I I I don't know that they have the piece to send back. It would be interesting the Cardinals could really use a controllable arm, like like Hancock. I don't know. I don't know that there's a great fit throwing back, but that would be like something that is both moderately for this year but absolutely part of the future for them. I mean like yeah, I mean Lars Newbar is not enough, right, like you you run into you run into that issue certainly. But I think the Cardinals would be interested in Hancock. And this also might be a thing where you end up with a three team trade. I think you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna end Emerson Emerson Hancock for Jordan Walker.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't think they're training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Mason Wins more likely.
Speaker 2: Honestly, why would you why would you try?
Speaker 1: Got you got JP Crawford at home?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I three years, three years of control.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, Mason win is hitting two thirty eight three.
Speaker 3: Eight, he is, It's not it's not that good. He has hit better.
Speaker 1: I get where you're coming from.
Speaker 2: Patrick, Okay, it's not like Mariners fans haven't watched Brendan Ryan before.
Speaker 1: You know, look, I think Jordan Walker. I don't think Saint Louis is doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not, but I.
Speaker 1: Don't think Saint Louis is doing that. I think he's kind of too important for their right line up. It's too bad.
Speaker 2: A lot of this comes down to the information we can't have, which is like, how much do the actual the teams believe in these guys?
Speaker 3: Right? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Let's go to the Guardians, who have lost you said five in a row. Yeah, they are two and a half back of the White Sox. They are minus eighteen on the season in run differential, three and seven in their last ten.
Speaker 3: Demoted Daniel Schnemanto the minor league since the last time we brought up Daniel.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not ignoring the note as in our Doctor that says swept by the quote unquote fraudulent raise. Yeah, I will note two things. I'm going to play both sides of this fence. The Guardians are not a reason that the Rays are no longer fraudulent. Sure, but if the Guardians had won anything in this series, I would have used it to call the Yes, of course I'm playing both sides, so I come out on top. Yeah, they they absolutely should. The Guardians aren't good.
Speaker 2: So I hear it's not a good team. Here's one for you. I don't know if you have the base fends page open Chase the latter that's the highest. I don't has Chased the lotter has the highest ops plus on the team at one twenty four. Nice little season. Yeah, who is second?
Speaker 1: We've had it open before.
Speaker 3: I'm looking left? Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it a regular? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean sorry, he is? He is on on He is on the top as the leader in his position. Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it? Literally? Brian Rokio? No, no, oh, okay, I thought that that would be funny.
Speaker 3: It would be there's a lot of there's a lot of players on this team. It would be funny funny.
Speaker 1: That's true. It's not Kwan obviously.
Speaker 3: I mean even Kyle Winzardo would be funny at this point.
Speaker 1: It's definitely not. Oh, no, is it? He wouldn't be the top guy? Is it Patrick Bailey?
Speaker 2: Is that Patrick Bailey is not the top guy?
Speaker 3: No, Although he is hitting better than he has a better ops plus than four regulars. In the Guardians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I knew he hadn't been as bad for the ninety ops plus, Like, that's fine if Patrick.
Speaker 3: Hoskins, No, but they had a bunch of I mean, like, it's definitely not Reece Hoskins.
Speaker 1: He's one of the ones below, so he's been so bad. Bazana started out, Okay, I'm guessing it's not it's still okay on helmart Tina started out, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Don't almost every except one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well three, but che your credit. I don't think you knew there's fielding?
Speaker 1: What position am I missing? What positions am I?
Speaker 3: So you've already got the position?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it just then?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, say one thirteen O ps plus Craig, Wow, okay better.
Speaker 1: Than I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I was.
Speaker 1: Assuming second place was going to be like one O two Okay, okay, all right, Yeah, I don't know what. I don't think beating the Guardians.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do with the Guardians other than they're just gonna.
Speaker 3: He's just still like we haven't talked about him in a while, Still still just brown along in the two five nine.
Speaker 2: Kate Smith continue like, is Kate Smith the most underrated reliever in baseball could.
Speaker 1: Thing maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: Given then maybe all thirteen yeah, still maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: I feel like he's one that, like fantasy players all know they're closer.
Speaker 1: Right, Sevin Williams looked like he was in the middle of break up, missing a ton of bats, but up to a three, seven eight.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 1: No, I did not know. Plon was.
Speaker 3: Like he flopped. He flipped with steaming like yesterday.
Speaker 2: This is the team that could really use Tyrone Taylor.
Speaker 3: You could.
Speaker 1: No, they can't. They're not good enough to be worth acquiring Tyrone Tailor.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're exactly good enough to be worth Taylor.
Speaker 3: I think they're not.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna make I mean, I think because possible they make a move for a Tyrone Taylor level player. I'm not saying they're going to be they're the Guardians, but I think it is possible that they trade for Tyrone Taylor. Not Louise but possibly Tyrone Taylor.
Speaker 3: Jake McCarthy would look good at.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I got at the Al Central whatever.
Speaker 1: The Phillies. The Phillies also salvage might like the Mariners salvage game in their series against the Yankees three and six. Since the break to be fair, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I guess they they they lost two or three to the minutes, but they also played the Dodgers. I mean, they played the Dodgers and Yankees and they you know, lost both.
Speaker 2: They had been kind of scuffling a little bit before the break too. Yeah, they like it looked like I don't know, maybe three weeks ago or when I think we did a segment on it, like it it seemed theoretical. It seemed and I say likely, but it seemed very possible they were going to like catch like by now they.
Speaker 1: Were they were hot and the Braves were not, and they were I don't know four and a half at one point and less than opposite directions, and it looked like, yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: The Braves had no pitching.
Speaker 3: And and then since then the Braves have gone eight and three, and six of those wins have been by one run. Yeah, just you know, itch.
Speaker 1: Happens, and the Phillies losses have felt they had the Dodgers double play.
Speaker 2: I mean they were, they were two games back going into the break. Two they are now five and a half. Yeah, yeah, they were. They were between like two and three for most of the beginning of July.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'm gonna say. I'm not ready to call this division. Sure, I think five and a half approaching August is substantial. I'm not super sold on Atlanta. Yeah, I think they they have another swoon in them. I think the Phillies have another like competence streak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I will say they play. They have a four game series against the Braves. Looks like Labor Day weekend.
Speaker 1: That's fun.
Speaker 2: Before that, they play the Marlins, the Orioles, the Nats, the Blue Jays, the Cardinals, the Twins, the Marlins, the Cardinals, the Mariners, the Angels, and the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: That's which team is.
Speaker 2: That's the schedule for the rest of them month.
Speaker 3: A lot of men in there, and technically they have it's time to bring up the remaining schedule strength. They have the eighth hardest schedule. The Braves have the fifth hardest schedule remaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's, like you said, a lot of mid But well, the.
Speaker 2: Other question is there September, what are the post.
Speaker 1: Deadline Nationals going to look like? The Nationals can hand you now.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, they have seven they also like the last week of the season, they play the Brewers and the Rays. Who might already be locked into a spot by then. But that's part of the reason their schedule is probably as hard as the addition to the seven games with Atlanta.
Speaker 3: The Diamondbacks can hand you all every two games exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, but but you know what I mean, right, Like there's there's a game.
Speaker 2: It depends on when you catch them.
Speaker 1: The Cardinals and the Nationals are too competent, sure middle of the pack teams that it wouldn't shock anyone if they they scratch out a win or a series win against against the Phillies.
Speaker 2: If they think about this, Phillies teams like, but.
Speaker 1: Those are two teams that could be on the cell and they probably won't do hard cells or whatever, but enough that by the time the Phillies get to two series with them or whatever. I think you mentioned the Cardinals twice in there, Yeah, like the Cardinals twice, like that they could be quite large favorites. Now you still have to execute, and.
Speaker 2: The Phillies will be buying conversely, right right, But like, like, here's the thing about the Phillies. This is not a good team. Like the more I look at it.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: It's it's the pitching is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Pitching is pretty good. Like for all the off season, you know, star a discourse about Brightce Harper. He's basically having the same season he had last year, which is fine, but also not you know, not really the third banana season. They need the first banana season. He really should be the first banana. Crey Turner is not having the third banana season.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you can accept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure that's problem.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, all those all those Alec Boem, Bryan Spice and stock guys who you know, you just never roll adye to find out if their ops is going to be an eighty or one hundred.
Speaker 2: They're obviously they're getting an all star season out of Brandon Marsh. He actually also has not been like down to Yeah, he has not been that good.
Speaker 1: Derek Hill has been a savior for them somehow putting it, I suppose he plays a competent center field and he's.
Speaker 2: Five hundred plugging somehow that does not seem right. Yeah, that's not gonna.
Speaker 1: Lie, guys. He has in twenty nine games, one and a half our war. Yeah, like that is a safer Yeah, sure, fair enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just look, the pitching is very good.
Speaker 1: They could use.
Speaker 2: They could use a actual spot starter starter. I mean and Emerson, they could Uncock. I don't know, you're trading back and again we're having the same conversations we have about the Philly all the time. You know, Stotton Bohm haven't really worked out, you know, every button basically that Sambrowski pushed this offseason, right like, they resigned real Mudo. He has not been good. They committed to keep playing Bowen Stott. They have not been good at least Garcia right, like, we're gonna make Justin Crawford the center fielder not working out like they're all like kind of in predictable ways.
Speaker 1: And they've also been hurt by some of the role player guys that I like, I think generally speaking, like Edmundo Sosa is a short side platoon Yeah, you know, multi position guy is a great little piece. He's been awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like, I don't again, I think this team should be good enough to make the playoffs with this pitching, and obviously they're gonna supplement coming yeah again, like literally you go out and trade for Luis Robert to play center field, like.
Speaker 1: Right, they will for I don't know that he will help them enough.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's just like again, the floor here is so low, right, Like he like he's a much better defensive center fielder than Justin Crawford. And I believe he can beat like two fifty five three h four three forty the rest of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he should be able to. Yeah, he has runs where he does not he j does not.
Speaker 2: But like I think it's a realistic Like yeah, I think I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember who it was. It might have been you guys talking about Like Yo, you guys talked about Patrick mentioned like just they needed to hand Balton get Baltimore out of things in trade for tailor work. But like that's the that's the kind of guy that they could really use. And no one who roots for Philly wants to hear that, right, But he is reducts.
Speaker 2: Right, there's some like there's some royals energy with these obps, so getting more.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing is that even if Taylor Ward isn't going to hit for power, which.
Speaker 2: You just just bat him lead off and let shore Burn Harper hit behind him when he walks right like you get.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing. But also like he's not he'll be cheap in terms of the prospects, probably if if the Orioles would trade him. But you know, he costs money, lose Robert costs money.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, and they care less about adding the money than anything else, Like they don't really have the prospects of trade.
Speaker 1: Care less, but they're up in I I don't have their cots page open, but like they're up there. So like every petition of money is yeah, Now, should they use that to their advantage and just pay some money? Yeah, definitely, especially if it means that they don't have to hollow out already, you know, not teeming farm system. I guess one way to put it on that note, Why don't we take a break and we'll be back with the vast majority of the show. Welcome back to episode five hundred and sixty six of five and five. We're on segment two. We've referenced it a lot already. There was a meeting of the thoughts. Patrick, I don't know. I just went on the headline.
Speaker 3: No, that's fine, like the there are there was no way any headline that's gonna be good for this, this combination of names. Yep, yeah, I don't like this straight.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've said it, but but just for Connolly Early goes from Boston to Washington for Curtis Mead. Yeah, we we had some disagreement in our group chat when this happened.
Speaker 2: Well, like I don't I do want to put you in a hole, but I'm just saying I don't like this trade, and I still like it more than I think ninety nine percent of the people I've talked.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just to set the stage, I was at a concert on Saturday night Joslie Plett. She is touring the West Coast. Now, definitely go check them out.
Speaker 3: I don't have any bands a concert on Saturday night, Like, yes, that's more rememorativity than I'm remembering like five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Josie Platt and Crouch Eye there just theydially is a really good album. It got like it's a local act, but they just got like MPR's like best Music of the Week, best New music or whatever. A really good live show too. So if you're on the West Coast or in the western two time zones, check them out. They're touring I think starting later this week. And the my phone was buzzing a lot. I tried to take it out at a concert, like during like the set or whatever, but some sort of guitar switch was going on. So I just looked at it, and if people telling me thoughts on this trade, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, oh god, right now, well it's it's the week.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, it's like or like this is a really weird one. I'm like, what the hell happened? I assumed I had assumed it was a Mets thing because generally when I get text about then, I opened it up and like, I just like looked at it. It's like kind only early for Curtis bad and I just responded back, I met a concert, but what the fuck? And I from my phone away watch the rest of the show. I was leaving, I'm like, I'm out of the concert. Still, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: So this is a challenge trade, yes, guys, without it's challenging me much track record, yes, but what there is generally good better more recently for Mead than for if you care about it currently hurt, we should, yes, mention.
Speaker 2: If you care about such things at this point in time, both were very highly regarded prospects at various points. At various points, Mead is obviously, I don't think it's that much older than early, but was uh you know, he was a he was an i FA out of Australia, not even like a high school pick.
Speaker 1: So he's been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think Early is around that age. But Early was like a college draft d A and Mead was obviously you know, playing in the prosas okay, So yeah, Mead was a prospect long before or meet it exhausted as prospect eligibility, long before he had options. Yes, but if you care about such things, they're both highly regarded prospects. Jared mentioned this on our show. I will say it against I agree with it, Like we would not rank Meat as highly now I think we have. It was like get a weird point in time where we were really kind of probably over indexing directionality of contact mm hmm, because he's very good at pulling and lifting the ball, especially this year, and that might be a credit to the Nationals. Obvious they've got some of that out of Abrams as well. I don't like.
Speaker 1: When when Mead was at his peak, you thought this would not you specifically, but one would have thought this guy can just hit. This was like this is what it would look like. Our hitter hitters hit era right hitters are going to hit and he looked like a hitter yep, with enough pop that with the amount of hitting he did, would would make could play up a little bit. That that was the cell on meat at the time.
Speaker 2: And Jarrett made this point on the on the pot as well that like he never he never actually got playing time, right, this is the first time he's actually gotten like extended playing time, and just never you never earned it. But like also for a prospect that good, you'd think that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just let him, yeah, let him adjust now he looked bad.
Speaker 2: Not to sugarcoat it, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I don't know. It's it's interesting because Early's rise has been so quick and Needs has been such a slow burn, Like if it is quick, but also he's been such a slow burn over time. I just think, I look at this deal and I I love seeing Curtis Need breakout. Right. Generally he's at his more recent vintage, not the most recent, I guess it has been. He can stand at a bunch of positions and be bad at most.
Speaker 2: Of them, probably find at first.
Speaker 1: But probably find at first. But I'm at the well, well I meant the other ones, and he's a short side platoon masher now this year he has been certainly much more than that. He's hit right. He's just as well as lefties, I mean, not quite as well, but he's a little bit a little bit less right on right. Plenty of value there. I'm less sure that that part is not small sample. I'm not trying to say the breakout isn't real, but you get these weird same size you know.
Speaker 2: I had, Right, he might be significantly better again major league right is and he handles velocity fine, But you know, maybe he's just an average hitter against righties, right, yeah, like you can play him against.
Speaker 1: It might even be below average and still playing right because he's so good against like I think, you know I had. My dad asked me recently, like, oh, what months you do to be good against lefties now? And I was like, probably nothing, right, Like, it's probably just some some small outcome based stuff. Now right on right is bigger.
Speaker 2: And more right than left asia.
Speaker 1: Yep, right, it's but we're still talking what one hundred and eighty plate appearances around that one hundred eighty two hundred plate appearances for me right on right this year. I just don't know. I'm not trying to say it's not it might be real.
Speaker 2: I said that I'm a little skeptical, I said about the Mets draft, but like I'm going to start using it as a you know, one of my my go to maxims. I guess we're going with U. You better be right. He's one of those trades where you better be right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and Patrick, you wrote you wrote this t A and I think that actually captures a lot of where you land because you talk about the Gnats can miss you know, early Early's hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and right, early can miss the season and you can go under the knife tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Right, And that was kind of like you basically say that, Patrick, Right, like if the Knats missed a year and a half of early, like they can still come out ahead.
Speaker 3: Three years left. It's yeah, I don't like this trade for Boston because it's like you can't not think about those three years, right, Yes, this makes Boston a better team today.
Speaker 2: I mean, they get three we should they get this? Isn't they get three years of me too? It's like they don't get right, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know three years.
Speaker 3: The problem is like, yes, this team is full of the type of players need is I basically I wrote that this year they knock Anthony Siegler out of the lineup, which is not even their biggest problem in next year. Yeah, I know, you know, he's a ninety five DRC guy I think in general, but like you know, he is not. Like there's a few players on that team that are not ninety five DRC guys. And then they'll still move, They'll get zach Nator or something like.
Speaker 2: They'll they'll find other things that's just be up next year too.
Speaker 3: This is the sort of investment you make in solving your biggest problem, right when you're trading Connolly early.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the reason I don't like this trade, but apparently like it more than everyone else, is that if you made Connolly early available, you could do better than this.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and like well, probably.
Speaker 2: Still getting infielder with some control right right.
Speaker 3: The next year needs probably best fit is to dislodge Masatake Yoshida from DH, and like, sure, he's probably an upgrade there, but not that much of one.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't You shouldn't be paying Connolly early for for a d for maybe better.
Speaker 3: Than your maybe better than your set of DH when you already have you seated, which you know, admittedly she is not great, and.
Speaker 1: I know you also don't You also shouldn't be having your sheet to be your DH right Like there, this is like solving a problem with another problem. But like, yeah, I don't know. I I think from all the people I've talked to, nobody loves this deal for the Red Sox, but nobody dislikes Curtis me This is it about like you did a bat. Yeah, it's not like you acquired someone people don't like or as if he I mean, like there are questions.
Speaker 3: There are questions, more than more than usual for a position player being traded for also.
Speaker 1: The context of the guy. It's it's less even about the guy and his questions than the context of you're now.
Speaker 2: They say the pace.
Speaker 1: They don't want to They don't want to dislodge Durban, and they probably.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't because Mead's arm is almost as as his range and you know why. Yeah, but playing.
Speaker 1: Curtis Meat at the second base is a bad idea. Yeah, trading for Curtis Mead is not a bad idea. Playing Curtis Meat at second is a bad idea.
Speaker 3: But with the roster, that's where they have to play it, Like, that's the that's the context in which they made the trade, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just they they solved for like we need a right handed bat. Yeah, but they did it in the worst way possible for their roster construction, which again, like we were going on close to two full years of looking at this team and saying, there are a lot of really good pieces. The pieces that they have all stack up on the same positions, and they're not solving for second base and they're not solving for for whatever, and and it's the same situation.
Speaker 3: But when I was researching Need, the thing that really stuck out to me when I'm looking through his numbers with two strikes on him, Need is hitting two, sixteen, three, twenty four to four to one this year.
Speaker 2: I think that is what wow wow about me.
Speaker 3: Above me the average. And he is not like like he's not bad.
Speaker 2: It's a good contact guy.
Speaker 3: He's a goodun he's a good contact He is not the kind of guy who was like, oh, once I get two strikes, I just play and play, you know, Like I just I feel like that number is going and he's intentionally getting to two strikes because he's just sitting on everything. Now he's and it's not like he's said waiting a time just because he wants to walk. He's not a Vogel box situation. He wants that pitch he can poll, and he's gonna sit there and wait for that pitch he can poll. I'm not sure he's always gonna get it, especially with you know, he's getting better against right handers. He's hitting better, and its right handers, especially with breaking pitches that are not going to the place where he wants to pull, like those pictures are going away.
Speaker 1: It's a little of the It's Weird approach, which was he literally was like, I'm looking for a pitch in this zone and if it's not that, I don't swing at it. I don't care. If it's in the zone, I don't care. If it's out of the zone. I'm looking for one thing, and if I don't get it, I'm not swinging.
Speaker 3: And you can be a mistake, picture a mistake hitter and succeed. I'm not sure he is going to get as many mistakes as he has gotten.
Speaker 2: He also does not have Paul Konerko's power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, No, he's he's gotta be like it's funny because he's he's in many ways like a very modern hitter in terms of like you said, he puts the ball in the air and on the pull side, but.
Speaker 2: He's not like a lot of times those guys will create a swing plane that does sell out for some swing and miss in the zone on those pitches to maximize damage. Right, But his own contact rate's like ninety, he's not like he's still And I do wonder if some of that is then created, like some of this, because it's only three hundred plate appearances. It's just that at ball luck, like absolutely nineteen nineties Boris McCracken batted ball luck. And again, that doesn't mean he's not a good hitter, like a major legue quality hitter. It just means he's not this guy on ops plus.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I it's it'll be interesting. Maybe he just has a really great piecet way.
Speaker 2: Maybe like it's again, maybe he is a prospect. He was doing a lot of these same things as a prospect when we liked him. Like, it's not him, he's only twenty five, Like it's not it's the first extended run he's gotten. The Red Sox could get something here and still lose this trade, right, Like that's the other part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it is. It's he's exactly a ninety on Zcon.
Speaker 2: I mean, like it is phenomenal if you're the Nats, like you're making this trade a hundred times out of one hundred.
Speaker 1: Well that's that's the other part of this, And I don't know that it's fair. Yeah, but the other part of this is they traded Boston Smith for this guy a few months ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also just the shape.
Speaker 1: You know, I posted on this, I said congratulations to Paul Tivoni on the most audacious one red paper clip. Yeah iteration yet people can look up one red p Yeah.
Speaker 2: But like I suspect that might, like I suspect the already of our listeners just know what that is at the top of their here gonna guess. But a little bit of self selection.
Speaker 1: There, Boston Smith. Nobody knows now, Boston Smith is hitting to be yeah, to be fair, but like for Curtis Mead and then traded Curtis meat for Connolly.
Speaker 2: Early and look early, I don't want to say they got an ace here, right.
Speaker 3: Like this isn't the Christmas Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's he's got elbow inflammation currently, like particularly.
Speaker 1: Behind his elbow. It's like he's probably a.
Speaker 2: Three and a halfpy ra guy broadly speaking, and like they don't like they don't have that in there. Ironically, they traded one of them to the Red Sox previously and Jake Bennett, but they don't like have that guy in their system really right, Like a lot of their pitching is hurt. Pitching prospects are hurt.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things you brought up, And again, I don't want to give the impression that you're way in on Boston side or whatever is that you know early is more load the mid nineties. Yeah, he his fastball shape is not great. The secondaries are good, but.
Speaker 2: Like he's a pitched versification guy, and it's again it's working. I think it'll work just fine, But I do think there's there and he has elbow inflammation.
Speaker 1: The club that has gotten the season that they've gotten so far out of Foster Griffin and and has gotten the kind of upward trajectory that they've gotten on a number of guys seems well positioned to potentially take advantage of that. Now. Look, Boston also extremely good at, especially seemingly left handed. Yeah, pitching development. So it's not exactly like a major upgrade in that sense. But you know these these are also the same a lot of the same people. Yeah, yeah, and literally is the same from Boston's development.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Pelatavoni is very very familiar with Connley early, who was in the draft room when they drafted him, Like exactly, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, anything, el Patrick, do you have any last word on this?
Speaker 3: I want the next train to be better?
Speaker 1: This is this is the.
Speaker 2: Other thing like you you mentioned Emerson hand confirmation when there you go.
Speaker 3: Please know what, I don't want to do another one of these. I don't want an this is what we're going to get. I know what's what we're going to get. I know we're going to get a.
Speaker 1: Ton of This is weird. It's not necessarily that or whatever, but it's weird. This same kind of weird ship we're gonna say.
Speaker 2: I think this is also an out and sort of an effect of just teams valuing prospects more than even like even though.
Speaker 1: Graduated number three face what their prospect he was.
Speaker 2: It's very much like there could be anything in that box. It could even be kind of early.
Speaker 3: Right before I give you this gift, I'm going to let you look in a small hole like he get it first, It wasn't there.
Speaker 1: One of the one of the British game shows had like what's in the like you have to like, yeah, yeah, you know that's what is Jimmy Carr.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Carr persis, Yeah, it's the what is it? The banana in the box? I don't Knowmber what.
Speaker 1: There was there was one with the will they lie about what's in it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: They say what the game?
Speaker 3: It's very like a famous.
Speaker 2: It's a very like you can find on YouTube. It's a very very funny segment. Yeah, tennes really good watching. It's really good.
Speaker 1: It's really good. Let's go to our third segment, rumor has it Well? We talked about whether you know the Red so well. We talked about the Red Sox needing a short stop.
Speaker 2: They still want to short stop, the need more now the Angels might need to consider trading zach Netto, and we talked about how the Red Sox should be in on zach Netto.
Speaker 1: Turns out all those things are coming to.
Speaker 2: The They might want to arrange your shortstop than zach Netto, given her they're playing at second.
Speaker 1: But we got well just play durban off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just move everybody over over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this make I mean, look, this would make sense. You know who they Angels might have wanted kind of early, probably would have.
Speaker 2: It does seem like it sounds like John Mazzeliak might just be the GM.
Speaker 1: Now his is the GM going forward?
Speaker 3: Like oh really he's actually behaving like it?
Speaker 2: Well, no, there's likewords, it's like I might just stay. Yeah, basically I wonder if he's just like talking like if you never deal with art. Yeah, I guess you just keep you're doing that. I'm just gonna keep showing up to work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you start getting used to it. You're like, Okay, the commute. I'm getting used to the commute. I figured out where he talks about how how it.
Speaker 1: Was nice out there.
Speaker 2: I heard already retire age, So you're an Orange County like that, you're basically retired.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look, I I think they probably should look at trading that out. It doesn't say anything good about the state of the franchise, but either does anything else, sure, especially like if if you're trading debts En Sriano.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the might and net Like I like Zach Nato a lot, always have that hit tool is kind of on a knife sedge?
Speaker 1: Is there anyone else who would go after Ned?
Speaker 2: None of the contenders really have the Yankees, I guess, mm hmm hmm, there's not. Like most of these contenders don't need a shortstop or are not moving on from their shorts, Like I think, is zach netto better? Thank Cooper Pratt almost assuredly, but like we're Pratts on that extenion. He's gonna play shortstop for them for a bit, right, yeah, I mean like the Braves, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they like they have the pieces now to go get Zack nat out too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: They would have to, They would have to empty the top of their farm sot him to do it, but they have.
Speaker 1: The users to do it. How much control doesn't that three?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 1: After this season, Yeah, so it's going to be a pretty pen.
Speaker 2: Like it's probably gonna be Hartman and South the scene, right, Like it's like they're going to want to slam dunk top one under one prospects back one that's probably.
Speaker 1: There and I think that's right for three years.
Speaker 2: Very good choice, very good player, even with his like flaws such as they are.
Speaker 1: Nothing nothing, He's not going to be elite or anything like that. But it's like he's like a.
Speaker 2: First division regular at Chorts.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, exactly. The headline names for this deadline, I mean, one with a bullet is Ark's School.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know if the Tigers are trading terrek'school or not they are, the Tigers don't know.
Speaker 2: The Tigers don't know. They're taking calls apparently, which is taking you have to.
Speaker 1: But also work in case you need to move fast.
Speaker 2: They had a nice little soft part of the schedule here and they lost to or three to the Royals to start it out, like yeah, three seriously to the death.
Speaker 1: Three and a half back with four teams between them and the Guardians for the last.
Speaker 2: Still I think they are better, I mean take it down to the wire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you do have to take this down to the one.
Speaker 2: Look, they play the Orioles now, who are one of the teams ahead of them.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So there's that, and that will probably give you some clarity and like, look, if you you can start talk getting serious about this Sunday afternoon, if you want to after you Loo's again, like you can take the decision point down to these next two series. I think I think that's right, because look, you're there, given where they are, and do like their playoff odds are going to bounce around a little bit this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so that we saw a report that some interesting teams are going to be in on school. We heard about Milwaukee, when we heard about Tampa. I'm maybe more skeptical on Tampa in the sense that loves to say.
Speaker 2: They love but they are like they had to deal with harper as or rental before.
Speaker 1: The one is the one that the ownership. I think Astro he was traded to, had a deal for that. Mike had a deal to Houston and ownership the learners said.
Speaker 2: No, there there, they are around I'm not saying around term.
Speaker 1: But they also love to let you know they do. You know we it's it's very much like we were also in.
Speaker 2: A five minutes after the deadline goes back.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, right, yeah, they always and look there's credibility because.
Speaker 2: They make a lot of weird traits well and they have pieces.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, I was reading if they and was like and was like, they make they make or try to make big moves. They got Nelson Cruz, they tried to get show I was like, those are not the same thing.
Speaker 2: Look, if they made the o'gillan available, like he could very easily beat any other package out there. Okay, I don't know that they would make the o'gillan available. Yeah, I think that should necessarily, But.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is that they I don't think they're gonna want to take the the future loss right on that in terms of of like what the model says about, there is.
Speaker 2: A lot of value in winning that division and getting the buye. Right, there's that, and they're the Yankees are red on their heels and that gives them, you know, then you go into the playoffs all of a sudden, Nick Martinez is your fourth starter instead of your third starter, right, and you've got you know, Rasmussen and well you Hope Planahan. Yeah, I mean they're never always healthy, but like that's the plan right School himself has been you have.
Speaker 1: If you have scooball, McClanahan and Rasmusen.
Speaker 2: That's that's yes, that's force.
Speaker 1: And and I think it's similar for Milwaukee. Milwaukee to me has a little more credibility on some of these swings. Right, we've seen them. It wasn't a deadline. But we've seen them acquire Christian.
Speaker 2: Yelichy we got to mention Cczabathia, which is now like seventeen years ago.
Speaker 1: Well okay, but they've done it, right, but Christian yelich Yeah, right, like they've taken this they it's it wasn't prospects, but they they went and got Lorenzo can right like they have done these.
Speaker 2: Kinds and again it's very short term money. They have a very deep farm system, right.
Speaker 1: That's that's made part of it to me is that they really have so much depth to potentially work with. They and if you can roll out Terrek Scuoble and Jacob Mazerowski in a playoff series, that is I will tell you I first read this stuff, like I first read Milwaukee's interest in this, and I thought, okay, sure, like they do their homework on everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're look if you were at Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: But but I I the thought, the intrusive thought of of Trek's school and Jacob Miseraski in a playoff series is Wow.
Speaker 2: This team has been generically good for ten years, has like nothing to show for it. At some point you gotta like, we're gonna try to fucking win the World Series this year, right at some.
Speaker 1: Point, so let me let me ask you. They'll put you on the spot. Yeah, but Milwaukee has I have the best system baseball something like that.
Speaker 2: I certainly again I have. Okay, I'm just starting to do off season with stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like sorry, I was just kind of gut feel all right.
Speaker 2: Top five, I'm a little I'm a little lower on someone like there are people that like Bishop Letson more than me. There's a couple of guys in that system like people like more than I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so let's say top five, they have a lot of pieces nearish the major league level, which is going to be attractive to Detroit. What what does a potential package that would interest Detroit look like?
Speaker 2: See, it's like Monday is not going to be available.
Speaker 1: In this No, it's not made. I think it's Logan Henderson. Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I don't think I think Paena is too much too Frankly, although I wouldn't be given the amount of infielders they have, I could see like maybe you do the this like the Dodgers outfielder equivalent, Like maybe you trade Mike schroeder Z I your hope for something that looks like less than present prospect value, just because you have so many outfits like you need to. I think Andrew Fisher would interest the Tigers. He's already end up. The contact rate scares the fuck out of me, but you know, he they need a third baseman. He can probably play there. He's hit thirty home runs already this season. Like the pole power is real. Like if you did Fisher in a couple of interesting arms and maybe Logan Henderson, you trade off the major league roster and you Loger Henson, Fisher and somebody else like an interesting Maybe it's Bishop Letson, it's one of their prep arms in the last couple of years, because the Tigers have done some interesting stuff on pitcher pitching dev recently. Or they might want to get their hands on one of those sort of metric darlings from.
Speaker 1: The Brewers, Raylan Payin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean I would. I'm not huge on Braylen Payne, but I could see. Yeah. I'm just like he's fine. I'm just not He's.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was just you know, I was looking at some of our top prospects from the last season. I know a bunch of changed, but he's got a ninety sixty oh and he's been very as a nineteen year old.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I would Yeah again. I I think part of the problem is, like what what does Schooble end up going for? Like there has not been a rental ace trade in a while, so I don't like, obviously the Tigers need to beat the what the thirtieth overall pick in the draft or thereabouts. They'll do that easily. There are a number of guys that you could get that would beat that. But this trade specifically, there's the added e fact that you know they're going to be giving up implied playoff odds yeap when they make this trade.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 2: There's all the fact that if they make this trade, I think you got to immediate, Like if you decide late, you've also got to probably ship labor Torres and Casey Eyes out immediately as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can just trade Schooble. I think that's right, and there'll be interesting both of them obviously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, trade Casey the Phillies thing, yeah.
Speaker 2: God yeah, but just like what does and the thing is like you need more so than I think with some other trades. We're gonna see the deadline, and partly because it's Terrek Schouoble. You though, he's a rental. You're gonna have to get somebody back to sell to your fans, right, There's got to be a name they know or can easily look up and be like, we got that, And maybe that's Logan Henderson, right. Maybe it's maybe because Logan Henderson is a you. I like Logan Henderson. He's not Terig Scouable, but like you a face, yes, likenm but like you know, he is major league ready. He's in the majors literally right now. Probably they keep sending him back for I think he started for the recently though, So it's do you want that, do you? Or do you want a team that comes to the top prospect. You can say, you can point to any number of prospect. Let's say this guy is number twenty two on the pipeline or whatever if they never sighted us and I think they're required to site pipeline. But I mean like that, that's like the more traditional cell trade here. I'm very curious to see what if he gets traded, what he actually goes for, just to kind of an idea what the market is for this kind of I mean, we might not see another picture like this hit the deadline as a rental for another decade. But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: There's also they probably not gonna do it because they just called him up and he has a contract. But there's Luis Lara right.
Speaker 2: Like I could see I got honestly him flipping Lara a prot too and taking advantage of the you know, the built in surplus fague of the contract. Lara has been like Pratt hasn't been great. Lara has been fine for he's something. Yeah, I mean, look at he does that with that defense, and they're they're not playing him every day. They're platuning him a little bit because they platuned they saw a platoon everybody there.
Speaker 1: He's hitting three hundred or a four hundred on base. Yeah, he's doing very well. It's not a ton of playing games. But like, yeah, I also just well just doing a little a little pr being the company man. Uh some Milwaukee names that that probably won't get traded in a deal like this, but you can read about on our electronic pages.
Speaker 3: J D.
Speaker 1: Thompson mm HM in our in our ten pack that is up on the site today and Blake Burke was the hitter of the weekend in the minor league.
Speaker 2: But they just have interesting guys, interesting guys.
Speaker 1: That's that's kind of sitting.
Speaker 2: For power this year now, that is healthy ish Again, I don't like it. I don't think Andrew. If you think Andrew Fisher's contact rate is bad, like they have type, like the birds have types obviously themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark, I think Marco, I don't know how to say it.
Speaker 2: I like him a lot.
Speaker 1: He's interesting. I don't think the Tigers are going for another catch.
Speaker 2: He's also dhing more than he's catching right now, something they definitely is a way for saying, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: All right. Uh. Mason Miller also one of the headline names yeah. Also on our electronic pages today, Dan Epstein wrote about Mason Miller and his pursuit of potentially the lowest fifth season. He's chasing Craig kimberrel on there. You know the Padres in my head should absolutely trade Mason Miller.
Speaker 2: Seems to change every day games out of a play playoffs, The reporting every day seems to change on whether they are interested in trading Mason Miller or not, which I mean is fair if you're just calling a paydir prowler every day, you're probably getting a different answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, it's It's funny because the the the Padres play the Rockies and Giants the week before the deadline and then play for either playoff teams or playoff contender teams directly after the deadline, so they could be in a playoff spot and then and then just not Yeah, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really have much more to you know, we talked about Miller last time. I will say I had to hear from from friend of the pod. Cassen noted White Sox fan that Mason Miller would be a multi year play for the White Sox, which is which is fine. I just think that the cost is going to be a lot for a release.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a multi year play for the White Sox that he has years of control, but like the White Sox might just not be good next year.
Speaker 1: That's kind of right.
Speaker 3: And it's always gonna be hard trading Miller because the pott and this, it doesn't it's some cost fallacy, but the Potters paid so much familiar that when the return for Miller dons that end up comparing, it's gonna look bad.
Speaker 2: And it's gonna be it's not even gonna be not compared. It's not gonna within the contract off. He has a year less control, right right, it should be, it's going to be.
Speaker 3: It will bring attention to the fact that the Potters did not make you said that year.
Speaker 1: Sure, right, Yeah, I mean it's they they did this with Lon Soto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the White Sox should trade for Mason Miller and stretch out Grant Taylor, but they would probably just put it in the bullpen too.
Speaker 1: Maybe they could start both of them.
Speaker 2: Jeff Y Sure, I know.
Speaker 1: We talked to about Hancock being available. Foster Griffin is drawing widespread attention in Washington. Sure, yeah, yeah, I imagine they'll be willing to trade. Why they're not out of it, Yeah, I don't think. I don't think they're gonna have tricked themselves. Yeah, it is the way I will put this, And I don't think it's a white flag situation.
Speaker 2: They should not trade him to the Phillies because in that stadium it might not go well for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, if the Phillies should not have that much interesting, yeah, he.
Speaker 2: Should, like he could be low key a raised guy. I can absolutely the raise like I mean talking to themselves into Foster Griffin as their Game three playoffs starter.
Speaker 1: Arizona is interested in an extension with Gabrielle Moreno.
Speaker 2: Sure, Okay, I don't like. Is Gabrielle Moreno good the most contentious threat in the history of forums, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is this year. Yeah, he's he's got seventy nine games this year, which he had ninety seven the year before. So he's playing a lot. He's having a phenomenal year. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And look he's he's legitimately improved his defense a lot too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I guess I would say if I were Arizona, I really wish I would have signed him to an extension last year, last two years. Yeah. Yeah, not not off the because and it's and it's not really doubting his talent. I worry about the you know, just availability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, he only has two seasons left now too of control past this one.
Speaker 1: So it does. And he's twenty six and a catcher, so the question is now he's athletic. Yep, they thought to play somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Jays were trying to do that when it was a prospect there because of how the question.
Speaker 1: To me is is how much? How many years are you buying?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, if you're if you might.
Speaker 1: Just be happy to have Gabriel Marino twenty eight season and yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Think if you give him like good luck, probably I think you could give him like five, it's probably fine, mm hmm, like that Gus's thirty one and he's five, but that's a five turtle basically. But if you have him under control for this, yeah, and I think, like, look, because he's like, there's just he will be a very young catcher when he hits free agency, but like not very young, but he'll be young relative to like what you get for pre catchers.
Speaker 1: And nowhere into because he's barely on the field.
Speaker 2: Well, it's getting hurt. There's just a ceiling for these catcher contracts. Like if he plays it out and he's really good the next two years, which are both big ifts, like maybe he'll get maybe he'll get the JT real mode O deeal.
Speaker 1: But if you're if I'm if I'm one of these teams, that's a risk I'm willing to take. If he plays it out and it's really good the next two years, then I'm I'm found.
Speaker 2: It fine, but is that of Yeah? But is that a risk he wants to take? I guess it's there if he can get five and I don't know, he gets five and seventy right now from their five and sixty, do you just take it?
Speaker 1: Is it worth it for there's maybe five sixty that's that's pretty reasonable. Yeah, I don't know, but that.
Speaker 2: Seems light for Yeah, I don't like. But he else have done this for this one? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, ye, but but he is above average. He hasn't done this, but he's.
Speaker 2: Been he's been above average. Yeah, so I And a lot of this to me looks like, without digging into it too close, looks like, you know, bad at ball stuff.
Speaker 1: But sure, sure, let's go to our first segment. We're gonna go around the horn. We'll try and be quick about it. Lance mccullor's acquired uh and d FA yep as as.
Speaker 2: We talked about, they paid four million dollars for Colton.
Speaker 1: Gordon Tanner, Colton Gordon whoever he is, yeah, uh, Colton Bryce Gordon. Ah, yes, he was the price here so to speak.
Speaker 3: You didn't even you know, he only threw four two thirds innings with the Rowers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I watched some of them. He pitched in the series and there.
Speaker 1: You go, Jose Yourkiti acquired by the White Sox.
Speaker 3: Sure was yeah, I want.
Speaker 1: To I want to go back.
Speaker 2: I can just go to the next one.
Speaker 1: Fine, I didn't say, well, no. The only thing I will say on this is I said all leading up to this, this is gonna be a weird deadline. We're gonna see some weird trades like like the the Early and Mead One, and we're gonna see teams say here's some trash, and maybe that trash gonna be slightly less trash for us. That's what this is. Yeah, yeah, right, I agree. Shane Langleiers has torn his meniscus, possibly out for the season. I think it depends on whether he gets surgery for it, I guess. And and what I some of some of these been this uh tears aren't necessarily that long term a rehab.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're Francisco Alvarez, you just come back from these things in like two weeks, but exactly.
Speaker 1: But but also if you're saying langladers during this season for the.
Speaker 2: Ages, yeah, you're not gonna and if you're the ages.
Speaker 1: Why would you push?
Speaker 2: Do you really want to come back for like one hundred and five degree Labor Day weekend game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just that grament. He is also Patrick. I'm gonna go to you on this one. Dallas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not pitched this year.
Speaker 2: If you told me he hadn't pitched his twenty twenty two, I believe you. Probably.
Speaker 1: I just like who called whom? Yeah, yeah, yeah, get f him.
Speaker 3: He's thirty eight, like he hasn't been good in a decade, and.
Speaker 1: He's just good kid.
Speaker 2: They're probably about to go back to school. You want to get to the house a little bit. Fine, camp's over.
Speaker 1: You got to pick up a projects, right.
Speaker 3: He's doing the Clemens thing where it's like, you know, I just gotta keep myself, you know, keep myself ready and you don't need me for the You don't need me for April, you need me for October, which I don't think that, but that was the mentality, you know. Yeah, yeah, kind of believe in.
Speaker 2: Yourself, Josh, Like you know, it hits some of those buffets in Vegas before they all close down.
Speaker 1: Josh Young lands on the I l it was bound to happen yeah, it happened. It's honestly, it's a big problem for Texas.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Josh Smith is now healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah he.
Speaker 2: Is back for Josh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, Cody Bellinger to the I l be uh.
Speaker 2: Spencer Jones is back, but it's gonna be a lot of trank.
Speaker 1: Grisham honestly, and Trent Grisham has recovered from a really rough start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's still he is essentially Transgressiam.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I'm just I yeah, fine, one Soto strains his calf. And if the Mets season wasn't dead already and it was, don't worry, boy, it's extra dead now. No comment from Jeffrey Well, I mean, what's to say it's not good? Uha is back, Yeah, good, good for Atlanta.
Speaker 2: For Atlanta, we'll see if you can stay on the field for the rest of the season, which would be helpful for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we we have some slow newsweek we do.
Speaker 2: It wasn't quite enough for a whole you did.
Speaker 1: I didn't even so you didn't even put the thing that I said needed to be in here, which was speaking of the Mets. Zach Thornton has changed the spelling of his name from z.
Speaker 2: A C H to z A C Yeah, he said, no one ever asked. Like well, he like.
Speaker 1: Said, no one ever asked. And then he also said, I don't really know why the H needs to be there, and like because it's part of Zachary.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, I guess it doesn't doesn't.
Speaker 3: Like you could you could tear out a lot of owels by that same logic. Yeah, they're just in between the concepts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and every app would tell you, yeah, we understand, we're going.
Speaker 2: We're going Welsh mode.
Speaker 1: The app of Zach would just be z C K. I think, yeah, yeah, yeah, So he is now one of you know, he and Zach Allen are now brothers in Zach. He and Zach Britain are brothers in changing the spelling of the right. Zach Britton went to c K, this is about efficiency for Zach Thornton. Yes, I gotta tell you, I just z A C.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's like it's very zoomor it's fine. You don't have to understand it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Richmond Flying Squirrels had had fireworks and and fire yeah, like on the life should have I believe friend of the podcast, Zach Kreser speaking of Zach's was it was in present? Was present for this game? I should say, so I am.
Speaker 2: I am both with the sheer number of minor league fireworks nights night, every Friday home sometimes Thursday and Saturday too for some of the Yeah, I'm surprised it hasn't happened more often, but also I feel like it shouldn't happen because you should have people that know what they're doing with fireworks.
Speaker 1: I would. I would also tell you normally they do. Having having spent a summer at a very generic, arguably low end like minor League. I was at Potomac, which no longer exists anymore, and like every Friday home game, they would do fireworks, and honestly, they were like nice, it was a nice little fireworks show. And and they seem to know what they're doing. So I don't know. I don't I don't know what happened, but I encourage people to go seek out the video. And lastly, this I'm gonna say for four words that I don't understand. Yeah, this means nothing to me. Everyone. Yeah, but I'm going to read the teleprompter. So doctor Robbie bobble headlines.
Speaker 2: So the the Pittsburgh Pirates did a given.
Speaker 1: I have not watched O now now I am gave away.
Speaker 2: A doctor Robbie bobblehead on Saturday, I think. And the line for it before gates open stretched across the bridge.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people like people.
Speaker 1: Like Wiley, absolutely likable guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that takes us to our game, and it takes us roight Am continues our bibblehead theme. Uh so this game is a reader submitted listen always say reader submitted.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I read this site too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it's a listener submitted game by Joel Fowler. Thank you, Joel. What is where you're going to do some prices? Right? Is about some bubbleheaded prices?
Speaker 1: eBay?
Speaker 3: I assume, I assume. Let's see the whole There are no no these are on These are all on store dot bobblehead haul dot com. Sure which is if I click on one of these? Is this the Hall of Fame? It is the Bubblehead Hall of Fame? Okay, you can buy This is not the Hall of Fame, bubble This is the Bobblehead Hall of Fame. Where is the Bobblehead Hall of Fame located? You might wonder. I will to wonder that as well. It is founded in twenty fourteen in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, it's producing some guys.
Speaker 3: No, it's a store. This is one of those new it's just a store.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying every store and exit through the gift shop.
Speaker 1: You could convince me the Bobblehead Hall of Fame was like some guys finished basement. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Stores become the source for bibblehead collectors. We have for bubble head products produced by the National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and musing Foco fun Co. But Royal Bobbles they don't.
Speaker 1: Sell their It's funk Go Bobblehead they too.
Speaker 3: I'm sure why not. I mean it's it's like it distorts the.
Speaker 1: I don't understand the whole photo.
Speaker 2: All these limited edition runs, two of like fifty of some guy that called up here.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be wrong, this is gonna be rough.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let's go ahead, get started. Of course, the word in the score are you playing? No? I I opened it to make sure everything. No, I didn't know if he if he he did, he did hide it, but I had opened it to so sorry. All right, So we're gonna start with a Kyle Wright Atlanta Braves twenty game winner twenty game winner club MLB Baseball bobblehead. How much do you think it costs?
Speaker 1: I should I? This is not I need like a baseline like I have.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm going to get right now on the Kyle right.
Speaker 3: I will tell that as a baseline, the average of most of these, not all of them, the average, the average for your standard twelve inch bobbleheads are about eighty bucks.
Speaker 2: That's what I would have guessed.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to tell you my price point was way lower.
Speaker 2: I will say sixty five, because sixty five, Craig.
Speaker 1: Kyle, you don't know how badly I want to say, like fifteen bucks, like and not imagine someone partying even for a store. I'm I'm gonna say fifty. I'm gonna be wrong, and I'm just I cannot.
Speaker 3: Okay uh A show Hey Otani An Aaron Judge Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees Home World Series eighteen inch Dual Battle MLB Baseball bobblehead that's too.
Speaker 2: Big is a very eighteen inch, very big bottle, and I will open it up and describe it to you a little bit.
Speaker 3: The two of them are facing each other. They are on a base that is an entire stadium. It says Base of the Titans or Bash of the Titans.
Speaker 2: It's not are like five to seven inches?
Speaker 1: Yes, the average price for the twelve inch didn't you? Yes?
Speaker 3: The twelve inch? Well, I'm guessing twelve. I guess whatever is that?
Speaker 2: Craig is like furiously doing I have a right now.
Speaker 3: I'm not good at enough.
Speaker 2: I would say one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, one hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say two hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Dollars, two hundred and fifty dollars.
Speaker 1: I have also, Also, I have no fucking idea.
Speaker 3: Here we go. This is one I could have gone. A Mariner moose Seattle Mariners twenty twenty three MLB All Star Big Ticket eighteen inch.
Speaker 2: Bobblehead eighteen inch moose bobble.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my boy, looking at this the moose is I mean, it's from the All Star Game. Also, this moose is highly bowl Winkle coded. It looks more like Bowinkle than the Mariner moose usually looks like. For the kids at home. Bowlinkle was a cartoon fifty years before you were born. A smile on.
Speaker 2: This is one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: One hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: I feel like the mascots are usually less.
Speaker 1: This is killing me. This, this is killing me.
Speaker 2: Craig. You don't have to spend as much time on it as you are. You're doing it to yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I'm gonna say one hundred and twenty five.
Speaker 3: One hundred and twenty five. Okay, all right, next one.
Speaker 1: I'm so lost to you guys.
Speaker 3: And Austin Jackson Cleveland Indians catch bobblehead. I don't know what year this is from. I don't remember when Austin Jackson played for the Cleveland for the ball club. I do not remember. Oh okay, I have to remember twenty catch now because it happened. I believe it was against the Red Sox. I do remember this catch. He fell over the wall into the U into the dugout for this. It was on August Firs.
Speaker 2: Davis ones like these. I think.
Speaker 3: It comes with a wall attached. How what size it is? A normal sized one?
Speaker 2: Okay, fifty five dollars, fifty five dollars.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna go with the average.
Speaker 2: Weston Jackson.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. You know you're right. You're right. There's a bad call.
Speaker 2: I guess you can't be that far off. Theoretically it could be more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Next one, the missus met New York Mets birthday and will be baseball bobblehead. She is, uh, it's it's a.
Speaker 2: Fairly she's coming out of a cake like Marilyn Monroe.
Speaker 3: No, she's sitting on a couch throne with golden balloons around her and a sparkly bow and a crown a tr I.
Speaker 2: Guess said it was eighteen inches.
Speaker 3: She does not look right.
Speaker 2: Wow, you would think you can take.
Speaker 3: This is enormous. I will tell you when they're not. I think the rest of them are normal size. Okay, seventy I will I will show a picture of this in the chat.
Speaker 2: Boll are weird about missus Matt. I'm gonna say seven.
Speaker 3: People are weird about missus Matt. How much did you say?
Speaker 2: Seventy five?
Speaker 1: Look, I'm there's no internal consistency anyway. I was trying to keep a notepad so I could have some internal consistency, and I've lost it. I mean, so I think I'm gonna say think I will.
Speaker 2: You know what the actual problem is here with this because it's a bobblehead. The proportions are wrong because they she's a huge baseball head. Normally it looks really like you're shrinking the head. Yeah, it's like a normal bobblehead. The person's head is back. Yeah, that's what's throwing you off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is throwing you offfty bucks, all right. Next one, a ben Zoe brist Eureka High School bobblehead.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, what.
Speaker 2: Is that? That's where he went down?
Speaker 3: It is sure, sure from Usaka High School. They made a bobblehead commemorating that he was the star of his high school baseball.
Speaker 1: Okay, so is this from the high school? I'm why it's in the bobblehead Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm assuming this is when they made themselves because they thought it would sell.
Speaker 2: Is he from like Wisconsin? I don't think he is.
Speaker 3: I don't. Yeah, there's a lot of Erika high schools out there.
Speaker 2: Said one hundred dollars. It's weird. Wow, it's rare and weird. I don't know why people, I don't why I bobbleheads on people.
Speaker 1: Bobbleheads thirty five dollars.
Speaker 3: Thirty five dollars. Okay, we're gonna do that.
Speaker 1: You've never seen someone do this bad as a game and at a game, And and that includes my performance from a couple of pods ago that I got contacted by multiple people about.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do two more.
Speaker 1: I think how many more are there?
Speaker 3: And there's there's more than two. Next one is an Alec Manoa Toronto Blue Jays game breaker bobblehead. I don't know what game breaker means. It's just Alec Manoa standing there. Yeah, well, and it's what. Yeah, he's here. He's just saying, he's just getting there. He's looking at I would say, yeah, it's got the glove up, he's getting he's happy, he's whatever, the call is, the catcher, he is satisfied with whatever, he's whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he's he's like. They just like, yeah, that's very nice. It's got like the Nathan Fielder. The catcher is just out of frame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just sixty ft out of frame. Yeah, I'm gonna do thirty five dollars again, thirty five dollars. All right, Jeff thirty.
Speaker 1: Five dollars says this is utterly worthless to me. That's what I mean.
Speaker 3: He had that good year with the Blue Chase, haven't she said?
Speaker 2: Seventy bucks?
Speaker 1: But this isn't like what it costs like a peak price, right, this is like the peak Now.
Speaker 2: I think it's like half as much as.
Speaker 3: On the store at the moment.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, I look, I did bad on Austin Jackson.
Speaker 3: Sure, all right, and the last one, and uh, what a what a good one? Man on it's a doctor Fauci Washington Nationals. For first, here's your picture. He is, in fact wearing a mask. He appears to be pitching at a plate that is forty or fifty feet off the ground.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he is.
Speaker 3: He is looking up into the right of where he is purportedly aiming. It's a weird that's a weird one.
Speaker 1: I cannot imagine money exchange.
Speaker 2: I will, I will, I will pull a krag and go exactly with the average and say eighty.
Speaker 1: Dollars eighty bucks, all right, Craig, Honestly, I might just have to say the same thing. I have no idea. I cannot imagine money being exchange for this.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, yeah, all right, okay, So we're gonna stop there, and Craig is the winner?
Speaker 1: What is it? Just and Judge?
Speaker 3: That was the big one.
Speaker 1: That's the all the want I felt remotely okay about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were you were the closest on uh one of the people just front. So we'll start with the Kyle right when that was seventy so Jeff was very close to sixty five. Uh, the Shan the Tommy Judge one was one thousand dollars. So Craig, you've got one hundred point of damage there.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you think about it, it's basically on a table in your living room. It's basically like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, that is a conversation piece. Very upsetting to me is that the moose is eight hundred dollars. Whoa eight hundred dollars?
Speaker 1: I I you know, so I felt bad about that, but I also like where I really felt.
Speaker 2: I by twenty five bucks, I said one hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was was, I said, miss one hundred twenty five and then I said, missus Matt nothing but like I thought, the All Star Game, miss of it is like some reason eight hundred.
Speaker 4: Imagine imagine having eight hundred dollars and being like instead of having this, I'd rather have this plastic.
Speaker 2: It doesn't even look like particularly, it does not look like off brand. It does not look like this is like I don't know, I don't think jay Ward Productions could sustain a lawsuit here, But it's.
Speaker 1: What is this pose he's doing? Yeah? Yeah, he's like, like, what's going on with the shoulder hip separation going on in this? From this? And like he's insane.
Speaker 2: They really needed to like color the moose's feet too, because.
Speaker 1: I will post like what is the post? He's got a glove on his left hand. Has he just thrown a pitch? What's happened?
Speaker 3: No, he's strutting. What am I look strutting? And he's like, oh hey.
Speaker 2: The proportions he already for a maskoything. It also like one of the like nineteenth century gloves they like there's no like articulation or design on the glove.
Speaker 3: No, it is it looks like he did It looks like he was born with one on the actually look like.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't take eight hundred cents for.
Speaker 2: This, Okay, I guess he doesn't have like like like different colored hooves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is weird, but.
Speaker 2: It still looks it makes it look weird. When you're just like, I got his feet like splay up like that.
Speaker 3: If you guys, at least not if you're listening to this at home and you need to see what this looks like, join the discord, will I will.
Speaker 2: I'm not entirely sure which direction the theaters posts are going either, which is very discount Look at.
Speaker 1: His waist they're going. Yeah, I agree, Well, I was very disoriented at but they already.
Speaker 2: They both wearing shorts.
Speaker 1: Why is he wearing shorts? Is short? I guess he is. He's not a glove on. Why is he wearing the.
Speaker 2: Thoughts were those shorts? Remember in the seventies.
Speaker 3: This is the Mariners.
Speaker 2: I also, like, I was concerned until I saw the belt that he was like Donald Duck in it. Like, I gotta go back to the feet for a second, because it like looks like hooves or regular feet.
Speaker 1: No, Like he's just.
Speaker 3: Standing like he's.
Speaker 2: Got a heel down and he's kind of up on his toes.
Speaker 3: He's on one knee, the other one he's trying to put his weight on a snapped ankle.
Speaker 1: One heel is extremely I mean, like your foot shouldn't bend like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, eight hundred dollars, eight hundred dollars, eight American dollars. I just like, think of the number of people you could feed.
Speaker 1: I think if you if you buy that and put that on your end, on the end of your table and with a price tag. Now you've got a conversation starter.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, moving on, moving on. So Craig took on that one by twenty five bucks. Austin Jackson's catch is only forty dollars, So Jeff wins that one. But you know you lost forty on.
Speaker 1: That right, Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: That was a delta twenty five against you. Would you just you gave back your moose winnings? Okay, but it didn't matter because going up one hundred on the on the ati, I think was all that was the difference. Missus Mitt was eighty, so Jeff was very close. Seventy five. Craig said, fifty the ben Zoe Brist jersey, this one.
Speaker 1: I thought this one might might kill me.
Speaker 3: Twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I made it back.
Speaker 3: It makes one. Yeah, you made it back on that one easily. Also, like if you're selling a ben Zoebrist high school bobble head for twenty five dollars. Why did you make a ben Zoe brist High School at that's right, I don't know the Alec Minoan. You guys almost perfectly split the difference. It was fifty two, so Craig was seventeen hundred, jeff Jeffrey was eighteen over. Okay, so good job.
Speaker 1: Tying on that.
Speaker 3: And then finally the doctor fauci one is forty bucks, so you guys were both over by right. We bet you two. So congratulations to Craig. As a wow. You have to go out and buy one of those. You can just do it right now, and you need to put it on your next time you do like some next send me to TV next time, I will be network has you on? You need to have the you need to have the moose in the background.
Speaker 1: I can't just wait. I cannot afford the moose. If it was like eighty bucks as a gag gift, I might, I might. I don't. I would be really unhappy, but I would be happy about the gag. I eight hundred, My god, if I.
Speaker 3: Saw that in the threat store for eight I would I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I don't, I really don't. I would not want I would not pay eight. Yeah, I mean I say I would not. I just said I might do it, but like only as a gag. I mean you could buy it for eight tell people, Jeff, Jeff No.
Speaker 2: I told her was eight hundred dollars. In her response was, no, one has that much money, not.
Speaker 1: For that eight people.
Speaker 3: Eight people have that much money and they have enough money to buy eight hundred of them.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you very much, thank you for the game.
Speaker 3: Thank you to both of you for participating in it because you were obligated too.
Speaker 1: And thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get a tough show at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives podcast network and will be in that feed. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time is snap.
Speaker 2: How can my father's told the fag you mother? How would can never?
Speaker 1: Renswered Deers