Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, the pub quiz practice show that hits your pal right in the quizzer. I'm David Flora.
Speaker 2: And I'm Anny Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than There are Knicks fans who are very excited right now, come on, nix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a temporary Knicks fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just one of those. It's like when the Cubs won the World Series, right like, everybody was kind of cheering for the Cubs right then. Like there's certain sports moments when someone's an underdog and has had a long dry spell where you're like, you can do it.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much me every year, unless it's Team I actually like, yeah, let's hope they're.
Speaker 2: Not jinged, I know, fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: Well, something we can get behind and cheer on is new patron Cody Cody Coddy. If you guys want to be like Cody as well, sign up to our Patreon Patreon dot com slash quiz Bang. A dollar and up gets you add free episodes, and five dollars and up gets you an extra episode a month. May's extrasode was all about musical instruments.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of fun. So come on down to patron Town.
Speaker 1: And don't forget. We have zoom trivia this Saturday, the thirteenth of June, noon Mountain time. Let us know if you need the zoom link and other than that, let's get into this trivia. Here's how the show works. Whiz Quiz, Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions, each followed by the answers. After round two, two will ask a quick fire bang Bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round, the show culminates with the big Bang, a final round with three questions whose answers are all clues to one final question. Round one. Question one, The category is language. New Zealanders had the nickname of in Zeter, which was supplanted by what nickname that shares its name with a flightless bird? Question two? Category literature according to John Green's book What Disease Links Cowboy Hats, the assassins of World War One and New Mexico becoming a state. Question three category music in the David Bowie song Ziggy Stardust instrument did Ziggy play? Question four? Category mythology. This one comes from listener Bobby, Thank you, Bobby, Thank you Bobby, which Nymph offered Odysseus immortality if he stayed with her on the island of Ogigia, and now the answers to round one. Question one, New Zealanders had the nickname of Zetter, but was supplanted by what nickname that shares its name of the flightless bird? Kiwi?
Speaker 2: I love Kiwi's the bird. I mean, New Zyls are wonderful as well, but what a cute little bird?
Speaker 1: Question two. According to John Green's book What Disease links Cowboy Hats the assassins of World War One and New Mexico becoming a state to Berkulosa from the book Everything is Tuberculosis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really interesting. It's a little long winded, so we can talk about that at the end of the episode.
Speaker 1: Question three and the David Bowie song Ziggy Stardust. What instrument did Ziggy play the guitar? Question four, which Nymph offered Odysseus immortality if he stayed with her on the island of Ogigia.
Speaker 2: Calypso, that's a pretty rough projection. I'll give you immortality. Nah, I'm good. I have a wife. Round two. Question five, the category is sports, which olympians said this about Michael Phelps statistically, he's the greatest Olympian of all time. He wasn't twice as many a Olympics as I was. He was in four and I was in two. He has eighteen gold medals and I have nine. He has two silvers, I have one. He has two bronzes. I have one. So he has doubled everything I did. Question six. The category is geography. The volga flows into the north end of what see Question seven? The category is video games. In the nineteen eighty one Donkey Kong arcade game, what does Donkey Kong throw at Mario who was known as Jumpman at the time? Question eight the category is art. This question comes from listener Jose, Thank you Jos. Which Renaissance artist painted the Birth of Venus? And now the answer is to round two Question five, which olympians said that Michael Phelps doubled all of his own accomplishments Mark Spitz. So Mark Spitz was the greatest swimming Olympian of that time, and then Michael Phelps' goal was to beat his record, and he did. He doubled it.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Question six, The Volga flows into the north end of what see Caspian Question seven in the nineteen eighty one Donkey Kong arcade game, what does Donkey Kong throw at Mario, who was known as Jumpman at the time? Barrels?
Speaker 1: It's Amy?
Speaker 2: Why are you throwing the barrel? Question eight, which Renaissance artists painted the birth of Venus Sandro Botticelli.
Speaker 1: That's it for the first half. That means it's time for the Bang Bang Round. The category for this week's Bang Bang Round is history. This one comes to us from listener Nolan. Thank you, Nolan, Thank you Nolan. You'll have forty five seconds to give as many answers as you can to the following. While the original thirteen American colonies get all the attention, there are fifty United States altogether. Name them now. No one's kidding. You don't have to do that. He wants you to name the first thirteen states to be admitted to the Union after Rhode Island ratified the Constitution. Your time starts now.
Speaker 2: And that's time. The thirteen states to be admitted to the Union after Rhode Island ratified the Constitution are in order. Vermont, Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Louisiana, Indiana, Mississippi, Illinois, Alabama, Maine, Missouri, Arkansas, Michigan, and yes, Maine came after Alabama and Mississippi. I woun'd expect that's Rhode Island. Ratified on May twenty ninth, seventeen ninety.
Speaker 1: Round three. Question nine, Category is television. Sam may Day Malone, the bartender in Cheers, played what position for the Boston Red Sox? Question ten? Category animals? Which other insects species does the viceroy species imitate? Question eleven? Category food and drink. Premiere crew is a French term that can be used for skin care pro but is normally associated with what. Question twelve Category vexillology. This one comes to us from listener Peter. Thank you, Peter, Thank you Peter. Which country's flag has the most unique colors in it? And now? The answer is a round three? Question nine. Sam may dam Alone played one position for the Boston Red Sox. He was a relief pitcher. Question ten, Which other insect species does the viceroy species imitate? The monarch? Butterfly makes sense because viceroy is an official that rules as the representative of the monarch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I read a little bit about these animals who mimic the looks of other animals. I think that monarch butterfly flies taste bad to predators. Vice ros are just like I am delicious, but I look like I taste bad, so you won't eat me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was seeing that they're either of the same kind that tastes bad, or they're the other kind that taste tasty but look bad. Yeah. I think they're on the taste bad side. Weren't they?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so maybe they also taste bad.
Speaker 1: But that's part of the evolution of some of these species.
Speaker 2: And why some species may make other species because they're like, oh, you're left alone by predators because you look this way. I'll do that too.
Speaker 1: Very interesting. Question eleven. Premiere crews a French term used for skin care products, but is normally associated with what wine well also except champagne, it indicates a high quality vineyard or group of vineyards. Question twelve. Which country's flag has the most unique colors in it? Belieze, you better believe it. They have twelve different colors.
Speaker 2: Round four. Question thirteen. The category is art. What is the name given to the fast drying painting medium involving egg yolks. Question fourteen. The category is currency. The name of which Indian currency is from the Sanskrit for coin, silver or rot silver. Question fifteen. The category is science. The process by which an atom or a molecule acquires a negative or positive charge by gaining or losing electrons is known as what. Question sixteen, The category is filmed. This question comes from Major Data. Thank you Major Data. The entire cast of a film with what specific designation includes Annie Hartley, Adolf le Prince, Joseph Whitley, and Sarah Whitley. And now the answer is to round four. Question thirteen, What is the name given to the fast drying paint medium involving egg yolks? Egg tempera? Question fourteen? The name of which Indian currency is from the Sanskrit for coined silver or rot silver rupee. Question fifteen. The process by which an atom or a molecule acquires a negative or positive charge by gaining or losing electron is known as what ionization? Question sixteen. The entire cast of a film with what specific designation includes Annie Hartley, Adolph le Prince, Joseph Whitley, and Sarah Whitley. Round hey, garden scene. Now, if you didn't get this, that's okay. It's a great trivia question. It's a great one to learn because what this is is it's a three second clip and it's officially recognized as the oldest surviving motion picture in film history. So that's why it's significant and worth knowing. And then, unrelated to how great major Data's question is, I guess there is some mystery and tragedy surrounding this little clip for a curse. Yeah, there might be a curse because shortly after the film was shot, Sarah Whitley died just ten days later, and then Louis le Prince mysteriously vanished from a train in eighteen ninety never to be found, and both Adolf and Annie died in their twenties. So this is all from October of eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Bomb Bomb.
Speaker 2: So maybe don't watch the clip.
Speaker 1: No, just don't be in it. Yeah, you're ever very safe. You've got a time machine. I am Sarah Whitley. Oh hi, Sarah, Hi, No, goodbye. I have to go to eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: To take a spin around a garden for three seconds.
Speaker 1: That's it for the regular rounds that means it's time for the Big Bang Round. The category for this week's Big Bang is Literature. We'll give you three questions, the answers of which are all clues to the final question. Keep in mind the three clue questions may not be from the same category as the final question one. The creators of ice Age released What two thousand and five animated movie with voices provided by Iwan McGregor, halle Berry, mel Brooks, and Robin Williams.
Speaker 2: Question two, According to Larel, after you do your skincare routine, put on your primer and color correction if needed. What is the first makeup that you would apply after that to even out your skin tone?
Speaker 1: Question three? In The Simpsons, during the episode Homer at the Bat, what does mister Burns repeatedly tell Don maddingly to shave?
Speaker 2: And your Big Bang question? Who is the only author in history to have works published in nine different Dewey Decimal System categories?
Speaker 1: And now the answers to the Big Bang Round? Question one. The creators of ice Age released What two thousand and five animated movie with voices provided by Ewan McGregor, halle Berry, Melbrooks, and Robin Williams. Robots.
Speaker 2: Question two, According to Lareel, after you do your skincare routine, put on your primer and color correction if needed. What is the first makeup that you would apply after that to even out your skin tone? Foundation?
Speaker 1: Question three? In the Simpsons episode Homer at the Bat, what does mister Burns repeatedly tell Don Mattingly to shave his side burns?
Speaker 2: And You're a big Bang? Question? Who is the only author in history to have works published in nine different Dewey Decimal system categories? The author known for his sideburns who wrote Foundation and I Robot, it's Isaac Asimof.
Speaker 1: Apparently the only one he didn't publish a book in was the one hundred's Philosophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the Dewey decimal system, like the O's, are generalities. Two hundred's religion, three hundred social sciences, four hundreds languages, five hundred pure sciences, six hundred applied sciences and technology, seven hundred arts, eight hundred literature, and nine hundred history and geography. So he wrote over five hundred books and I I guess he wrote about a lot of different categories.
Speaker 1: Pretty amazing. And apparently he himself said, I have been told by a librarian that and then that he's been published in all those different dodecimal categories except for philosophy, which I think you could argue he could be if he wanted to, because a lot of those like I Robot is philosophical foundation I think is pretty philosophical too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he should have written a book called the Philosophy behind I Robot, and then ten for.
Speaker 1: The Foundation of Robots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was kind of a fun question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super interesting. He was like the sci fi Bernie Sanders back in the day. He listened to interviews with him.
Speaker 2: We have a comment from listener Jesse. Hello Jesse, ooh Jesse, and Jesse said, listen to the latest episode. I do enjoy the show. But not to be pedantic. Technically, people who say it's summer in the beginning of June aren't completely wrong, just not completely in their description. June first is the start of meteorological summer, as it is defined as June, July and August. Astronomical summer starts June twenty first, so there are two definitions of summer. So the next time someone tells you it is in summer on June fourth, tell them I clearly meant meteorological summer.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, society's fallen apart. We can have two different definitions for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, we got and we do.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jesse. This is the beginning of the end, everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't worry about AI. Don't worry about the climate change or global politics. Worry about the summer. And just to circle back to the question about tuberculosis. The book Everything Is Tuberculosis is a very interesting read. It's by John Green, who also wrote The Fault in Our Stars, and he kind of has become fixated on tuberculosis and why it still exists, and it's very insightful, slightly depressing. What he says is that there was a gentleman who got tuberculosis, and back in the day, they would encourage patients to go west, you know, drier air because you know, it's a wet disease, is how they thought of it. So he went west. And at that time, cowboy hats didn't exist. They just had either straw hats that didn't work great in the rain in other weather, or they had like fur caps that also weren't great. Like they just didn't have a good hat for the west. And he was one of the lucky ones who survived went back east when he was done and invented the Cowboy hat made a lot of money and donated a lot of money to a lot of good causes. So Cowboy hat Man is great for the assassins of World War One, I guess the attempted assassination and the actual assassination. They both had tuberculosis, and so that's why they were They kind of wanted to die for a cause, and so that's how they were kind of recruited to do that. And the third one being the state of New Mexico, is that New Mexico was trying to become a state, and Washington was like, your population is a lot of Mexicans and Native Americans and you're not white enough. I mean, they didn't say it straight out like that, but you know, well maybe they did. History is a tear thing, and the people who were running the government in New Mexico at the time understood what was happening. So they started being like, come move to New Mexico, nice dry air, and they did. They had a very successful campaign to get people with tuberculosis to move to New Mexico and increase the white population enough for Washington to allow it to become a state. So that's how those three very different events all link back to tuberculosis.
Speaker 1: Pretty wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would recommend it as a read if you're not just looking for escapism, which if that's what you're looking.
Speaker 1: For, Dungeon Carla carl ah so great.
Speaker 2: Thanks for letting me talk about that. That's why we put it at the end because I was like, this is way too much info too between questions. But we hope all of you are doing well. Go next. Thanks thanks for writing in Jesse. Don't forget to message us with listener questions. We always love listener questions. Become a patron, live your best life. You guys are wonderful.
Speaker 1: And for this episode of Quiz, Quiz Bang Bang, I've.
Speaker 2: Been David Flora, I've been any Flora here, look at you.
Speaker 1: Quiz