Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ Costin's Radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, just a quick announcement, I think all of you know that we're having a nightside brunch this Sunday, April twenty seventh. There'll be two seatings one and eleven and one at twelve thirty at the Naroli Restaurant. It's in Westwood at two eighty two Washington Street, and we'll be joined by the Winnaker Band, Bo and Bill Winnaker as long as as well as some special musical guests. I'm not going to tell you who, but some special musical guests. It's going to be a great brunch. You can it is now sold out. Both the eleven and the twelve thirty are sold out. We have one hundred and seventy eight reservations for those two events, so if you missed it, I apologize. It's much. I never thought we would we fill the restaurant twice, but there will be two, the eleven and the twelve thirty, So make sure you know what's seating you will be at. And I'll talk about it tonight more at Nightside Postgame at midnight, where we appear on Facebook for a postgame every night, And of course you also can follow us on Twitter at WBZ Nightside, WBZ Underscored Nightside. I think that's our handle. On Instagram, we have a bunch of Facebook pages you can find us on. We love to get you involved with the program. It's as simple as that. But I just want to thank everyone who's made reservations and we will have a ball. We are talking this hour about the state of New Hampshire, which is now seriously considering getting rid of their annual automobile automobile inspections, not for commercial vehicles but for privately owned cars and trucks. And we're going to go to Alaska to Joan in Alaska.
Speaker 3: Hi, Joan, how are you Tidan Wurnderful? We don't have any sunshines up here?
Speaker 2: But Joe, do you have any sunshine up there? Yet? We do?
Speaker 3: The lue will set tonight at about ninety five.
Speaker 2: Wow. I know so well second you I thought you would be just I didn't really I know that you're going to get to like the twenty four hour sunshine. I guess it's in June. I guess, so what time does it rise tomorrow morning?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's up early. Probably it gets it gets light by.
Speaker 4: About six o'clock, so we're.
Speaker 3: On the manic. Let's get busy. Everybody is happy, but I haven't say I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Do you have vehicle inspections? You know, private cars?
Speaker 3: No, we don't. No, we don't.
Speaker 2: Think so it's a great.
Speaker 3: I remember them well, and I remember the I remember them well in Cambridge and people would go to little shops that didn't really check and slam the sticker on my windshield, and so I never really trusted them anyway. But the reason I'm calling, I'm sorry the Red Sox lost. But did you get the body? I know? Did you see the national anthem?
Speaker 2: I didn't? Is there something? Well?
Speaker 3: Yes, I live in Eagle River, Alaska, and the national anthem today was sung by the Jugiac High School choir from Eagle River.
Speaker 2: Isn't that great? So they probably at spring break and they came to Boston.
Speaker 3: No they're not. I don't. In fact, my sister Rosemary and West Roxbury was asking me how they even afforded to make the trip, and I don't know. I just found out that they were doing it when I woke up this morning and saw a post on Facebook. And they did a phenomenal job. They were amazed group. How big a group is well, probably, i'd say, looking at the group off the top of my head, probably twenty students.
Speaker 2: So how did you see it? Do you get the Red Sox games up there?
Speaker 3: Well, of course we can if we choose to, but no, it was the school district. The school district here in Anchorage posted that they were going to be performing at Fenway and I was just blown away. I mean, I'm in a small town outside of Anchorage. It's probably thirty thirty five thousand people that live here, and it was I mean, I cried when I saw it.
Speaker 2: It was just so did they have it on local TV? I'm just wondering how you saw it.
Speaker 3: I saw it because they posted back on Facebook after they did it. Oh, so I guess the other reason I'm The other reason I'm calling is I would like to send you the links so you can see it. But also I would like to be able to give you an idea for one of your first hour segments.
Speaker 2: Sure, I love it absolutely. First of all, I'm gonna have I'm going to have Rob give you my direct email address.
Speaker 3: Which you probably say that would be wonderful.
Speaker 2: Case I'll also have to give you my direct number. What's the segment that you'd like to see covered.
Speaker 3: Well, it's about an app that helps people. Glenn may know about it. It's about a service that we can all help with to help people who are blind or visually impaired or dyslexic. And it's phenomenal, really, it's okay, yes, So that's.
Speaker 2: Just if you give Rob that app, I will make sure that Maria gets it and we will get uh. And if you leave your number, I think I have your number one. If you will leave your number with Rob, I will make sure you know what day we do something on the app. Well, we'll figure it out. Is there is it an organization out of Alaska?
Speaker 3: No, no, this is a worldwide organization. It's called Be My Eyes. Okay, and I was doing it now for a year and I'd love to tell you about it.
Speaker 2: Well, i'll tell you what. Would you be willing to be a guest when we do it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Okay, No, thank you, I didn't. We're always whenever people recommend to us uh some group or organization like that. Oftentimes what we do is we have a tough time getting a spokesperson from the group too.
Speaker 3: No, I could tell you all about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, perfect, Joan, That's that's even better. So leave with Rob your name and your number. Okay I think I haven't, but I don't. He will give you my direct number. We'll call you and we will set it up and as long as you know. Look, you know the show better than as well as anyone. And that's wonderful. So how do you participate in what you said that you participate?
Speaker 3: You're a volunteer, yes, and there are millions of volunteers around the world. It's phenomenal. It's been I've been doing it for a year and I've had just blessings with being able to help people and they don't. It's it's just very uplifting.
Speaker 4: And I hope you knows about it.
Speaker 2: They connect you with someone who either is blind or visually appear I'm assuming.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Actually the people call I get I get a special sound on my phone. Yeah, and I it's random. You know so many there are so many volunteers, and I answer it and they don't have my number. I don't have their number, and I just say, how can I help you? And the thing that I've been able to experience helping people and meeting people who are very grateful, and it's it's a wonderful thing to be able to participate, and you don't have to take the call when it comes.
Speaker 2: Sure. Yeah, and Joe, here's what we'll do. You leave your information with Rob, leave me the name of the app. Maria will take care of that, and then we will set it up, maybe as early as tomorrow night or certainly no later the next week. And what I might do is we'll do it with you in an eight o'clock hour, and sometimes with special guests. We then turn it into an hour later on during the week where you then can take some phone calls from people around the world, maybe who like you, are volunteers or oh it's or people who have availed themselves of the services. Not necessarily a view, but if someone else. So yeah, I will. I will dig deep on this and I am looking forward to it. Joan, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Me too, Me too, And I'll send you the link for the I.
Speaker 2: Want to see that. I really do. I mean, I've been to February Parker in my life, you know. I mean when I say hundreds of times, hundreds of times, and I enjoy the pregame and uh and that's sometimes even on a day like today, that's the best part of the day. Joan, you stay right there. Give all that information to Rob. Rob. Make sure you give Joan all of my my my email, the direct line. And I just wish that you could join us at this restaurant in Westwood.
Speaker 3: I know Rosemary wanted to go, but they were full, so oh no, well I.
Speaker 2: Know she should try. We'll find another seat. Don't worry. Have you give her my number when you talk to her and have her give me a call tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I will do that. Thank you so much. Dan.
Speaker 2: Leave your sister's number with Rob and I will call her tomorrow and I'll see what I can do.
Speaker 3: For Okay, I will do that. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Okay, don't hang up. Rob will take care of it. We're going to take a quick break. I want to get back to the issue at hand, which is New Hampshire's indication that they are willing to eliminate automobile inspections and truck inspections for people who own private cars or private trucks. Good idea, bad idea, Feel free six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty We got a couple of lines there and one line at six one, seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. So great to hear from Joan up in Alaska. It's one of our most loyal listeners. Uh in another part of the country. We'll be back on nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: It's nice Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to the call is going to go too, Angelo in Newton, Angelo, I appreciate your patience, Man, go right ahead.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Dan, how are you doing. Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: You're welcome, Thank you so much for holding on.
Speaker 5: Welcome, Thank you for what you gave me. Oh, Okay, I think it's wrong, Dan. I think they should they should keep it because you know, there's I don't like to say this, but there's some people. They they don't know much about a car, and so all they do is just know how to drive it, and and they don't know what's really wrong with it. You don't know, they don't know if there's a tire rock gone, or could be a ball joint on, and then they end up risking their life for what for something that was not even being checked. Yeah, here's believe h I believe it or not that we had a brand new truck and it was not even not even a year old. We took up inspection and they jacked it up and they checked the front, the front wheels and everything, and the ball joints are going on. It was not even was was not even a year old.
Speaker 2: I hope was covered by warranty.
Speaker 6: Not really, not really just what you need.
Speaker 2: You need. So so you say, keep them, keep the inspection.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, yeah, because you know, even even the trucks. You just see how strict they get. On trucks. They checked the staring box, you tie your d ends, your ball joints out, They go through the whole frame of the truck. Even on the lodger trucks they make you put a uh steel arm. Uh uh. You know that the covers you put on your valves them on the truck. They make us. They make us chose the metal ones, not the plastic ones.
Speaker 2: Mmmm.
Speaker 5: Well, I guess because what happens the age after a while, and I guess they cracked and they have to falling apart. But I think they should keep it because if there's people that have cars and trucks and they're just driving, how do you know if there's a ball joint going like they happen that poor lady look at it.
Speaker 2: Frightening story. That was a frightening story, wasn't it. Yeah, Yeah to any of us.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I've been I've been to inspections and I have watch them when they expect the vehicles and I can't believe somebodys when they jack them up and they checked the wheels, and I could not believe what I've seen. Sometimes and people don't even know that they could be going down the street and something's here is absence. They're risking their lives, they're risking somebody else's like going down the sheet. You never know what happens.
Speaker 2: All right, Angelo, I got you down as a strong vote in favor of keeping the annual inspections. You said it well and you you give some people some something to think about tonight. Thanks Angelo, appreciate it so much.
Speaker 5: Welcome dance, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Gail is in New Hampshire. Gail, this affects you. You live in New Hampshire. Thank you for holding on. Appreciate your patience.
Speaker 7: How are you Dan, good to hear from you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Think that the whole issue, first of all. I want to give a shout out to Deputy Speaker Smith because legislators here in New Hampshire are just kicking but they are working so hard. They're public servants. They basically do it volunteer and they work really really hard, sought and by the way, as you know I mentioned very clearly, they're.
Speaker 2: Paid one hundred dollars a year for their service, so they're not doing it for the money, right.
Speaker 7: Can you imagine that happening in Massachusetts?
Speaker 4: It could never acten absolutely anyway.
Speaker 2: Did that, or the legislature would be run by a bunch of Bolsheviks. I mean literally that.
Speaker 7: You're right, you're right, that would be a scary thought as well. I think that the inspection should instead of basing it on a yearly basis, what about going to a mileage doing it on a mileage basis, so instead of doing it every year. You know, there might be a woman up the street who's eighty years old and she drives car once a week to go to the grocery store, and you know she puts on maybe twelve hundred dollars dollars, yeah, miles a year, where someone like me might put on fifteen thousand a year. I just think that it's silly to base it on a timeframe. I think if you're going to keep it, then you should base it on a mileage rather than on a time I.
Speaker 2: Think that's a great suggestion. Earlier tonight, a couple of people said, well, if it's a new vehicle, you shouldn't have to have to get an inspection for like, let's say three years. And I could go with that. You buy a new vehicle, that's a huge expense, and you get a waiver for the first couple of years, so three years or whatever, and then maybe maybe when it passes inspection, if it passes inspection with flying colors, the next inspection is a couple of years out. But or you could do it like you said, based upon you know the mileage, or maybe you could have a combination. A new vehicle three years or until let's say they put twenty five thousand miles on it. Most people would put twenty five thousand. Well you know you could you could come up with even if you if you got twenty five Let's assume you buy a new car and you're putting on ten thousand miles a year, Well, you're going to hit twenty five thousand after three years, you would say three years or twenty five thousand, whichever cars last. So in your case you wait for the three years. For the lady who only drives, say five thousand miles a year, she buys a new car, she doesn't get to thirty thousand for six years.
Speaker 7: I mean, you could come up with.
Speaker 2: Something which would be a combination of both time and mileage. Your mileage point is an excellent point.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I have Have you ever brought your car in for an inspection and had them discover something that you didn't know? I have never had them find something that I wasn't aware of.
Speaker 2: Well, the guy that I go to does a really good job, and he will sometimes you'll say to me, it would be more like, hey, you know what you want to be keeping this? He does a really good job. He's never said to me, oh, do you know that you have no oil in your car? Because you're oil you know, is leaky. No, but he'll sometimes say, hey, you know, I don't know what you're doing here, but that rear tire is a you've got to keep an eye on that that's down a little bit. So he's good in that regard. But but I'm like you. No one has said to me, hey, you know, do you you know you you're you're driving on four ball tires? Of course, not because I'm checking my tires every couple of months anyway, because because if.
Speaker 7: There's a blow up, serving to do that. I mean, I think most drivers are very conscientious and sure there are going to be people that drive in cars that are are not safe. But like you, I spent many, many years as a reporter covering, oh my god, hundreds and hundreds of accidents, many of them fatal, and it's almost always error.
Speaker 2: You know, now, now I know which Gale this is. Initially I didn't catch the voice Gail Huff. How are you?
Speaker 7: I'm good, I'm good. No, this yeah, this is me?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. How Scott doing? Is he going to run for Senate? Up there with Well, you co'd probably break that story.
Speaker 7: He's thinking hard. He's thinking hard about it. I can say that he is. Yeah, for the past year. He's been you know, for for years he was like, well, I don't know, been there done that? You know, I don't know. And then he started to feel like, oh, there are so many things that need to get done. I wish I was there to help, et cetera. So he's definitely thinking about it.
Speaker 2: He's the guy that can maybe break up that monopoly up there. I help her, So I said no, And I just think that there should be they should have some some strong congressional candidates up there. And you know, you know, I wish that the voters of that first district have been smart enough to it was district one that you ran for.
Speaker 7: Correct, Yes, yeah, yeah, I ran a couple of cycles ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's strange because you know, our executive branch, our governor, our legislature is you know, obviously we have a Republican majority, but the voters send Democrats to Washington every you know, every two.
Speaker 3: Years, and it's I.
Speaker 7: Just don't think they represent the voters of New Hampshire.
Speaker 2: Well it wasn't always that way, No.
Speaker 7: It wasn't. No, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: You and I both remember when you know, the Warren Rudman's of the world and the Gordon Humphreys were up there in the Senate, and unfortunately the Republicans are not produced people. Maybe you should take a shot at it too, you.
Speaker 7: Know, No, no, no, no, no, no, my god, no, no, Grand babies I have, I have four grandchildren.
Speaker 2: Now, well, we may get get a little closer to you this weekend where I will tell you and I you know, I always believe in jenxus and stuff. But we're our son and his wife. We're hoping in the next week or so, we'll be presenting us with a second But I haven't said much about it because you know me, I believe you know I hate jinxes. So we'll keep our fingers crossed.
Speaker 7: Okay, how exciting congratulation? Is it not the greatest gift? Oh it's well, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: They can be a challenge, can't they. I don't know how I need to pick up some pointers from you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know if I can get pointers, but I will say that it's just been for me the most amazing experience to be able to go through, you know, just the different stages again and and this time do it in in such a different light because I don't have the same anxiety as you know, being the parent. So it's it's so identified with that. Well, good luck and congratulations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I'm I'm the disciplinarian and uh, you know, it's like I expect I'm not Yeah, no, well, no, you haven't met you haven't met my wife on this one, trust me. Okay, it's like if he if he said, you know, would you put the apple on your head? I want to try to shoot the apple off your head with this bow and arrow, all the apples on the head. It's like, please whatever, uh, Jail again, I love you, please say had to Scott and you talk soon and thanks so much for calling in. Okay, we'll talk soon, thanks so much. All righty ladies and gentlemen, the great Gail Huff. I spent so many mornings with Gail covering our stories together between four and five. Okay, we have a few minutes left in this hour. I want to know would you be in favor of eliminating your annual automobile inspection, either eliminating it completely or maybe making it not an annual inspection, maybe every two years, every three years. In New Hampshire, the Republican House of Representatives overwhelmingly has voted to eliminate Massachusetts. New Hampshire only two of fourteen states that have auto and truck inspection. You know, for private automobiles. Commercial vehicle's different story commercial truck. Commercial vehicle is still going to be inspected in New Hampshire's I understand it. These would be for private automobiles, your car, your truck. What do you think if you're in a state where you have inspections, would you eliminate it? If you're a state that doesn't and there are only fourteen that have inspections most I'm here in the Great Northeast. If you're in a space in a state that doesn't have inspections, do you think it would be smart to adopt them? Massachusetts, I think it's thirty nine dollars a year, probably's gone up in the last year. I'm suspecting I'm due for an inspection sometime next month. We'll see how that goes. At eleven o'clock tonight, we are going to change topics, so you want to get in now, and we're going to talk to the CEO of a company called Bricks Holdings, a multi brand franchising company that now owns Friendlies Restaurants, among other chains. They basically bring restaurant chains out of bankruptcy, back from the economic dead. We're going to we're going to find out what's coming back, what's never coming back. That begins at eleven o'clock. I would like to continue on this topic until eleven. So if you have a thought strongly in one one direction or the other about automobile annual automobile inspections, annual private you know, your private vehicles just another way in which the government can get the hand in your post or are they absolutely necessary? I think there's strong arguments on either side. Let's light these lines up, finish strong, and we'll get to a really different but an equally interesting hour at eleven back on night Side right after these this news break.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's we can't. We got full lines here. This is great, let's keep rolling. Gonna go next to Joe and Revere. Hi Joe, how are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 8: Hey Dan, I dooling buddy. Thank you for taking my Paul, Thanks for checking in.
Speaker 2: What's your thought on this? You're a Massachusetts residence, so you gotta pay? What's it? It's it's Is it still thirty nine bucks for the inspection.
Speaker 9: I took?
Speaker 8: Correct you it's thirty five?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Okay? For some reason thirty you know.
Speaker 8: As you know I self, guys, I've talked to you. Yep, absolutely sure, dealership, any new vehicle that comes in, it's a PDI, which is a pre driving inspection. Okay, now we can PDI a car. It's just there three weeks a recall comes out. Now as the dealership, we do get alerted for the recall. But if you run it through for a sticker, there's an automatic stop. There's a safety belt recall there is. It's just an inspection of this. It's that it's a software upgrade. But they come out now. If you don't do the sticker, there is a chance that no one will know that there's a recall on their vehicle.
Speaker 9: So we laugh.
Speaker 8: When we're run new vehicles through, it's like yeah, like it ain't gonna pass. Of course it's going to pass. But the thing with the sticker is if there is a recall that came out a week or two later then we bought the vehicle, it's gonna flag it and tell them.
Speaker 2: So I guess, Joe, how often does that happen?
Speaker 9: All? Right?
Speaker 8: About eight times? And I've been there fourteen years. Eight not often?
Speaker 2: Not off?
Speaker 8: No, okay no, but what if it's a safety recall?
Speaker 6: Did?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I get it. No, no, no, no, no, I understand, and I would assume most of the recalls, but maybe maybe I'm making most of the recall safety recalls.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, a safety recall will stop it from stickering. If it's not a safety recall, it could be go through. But they would alert or something to recall. They would assume. I would work for a Chevy dealership.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 8: You know they we do get alerts on these things. But you know, I'm assuming, Joe, something could get.
Speaker 2: By God, Joe, here's my question. I'm assuming that most recalls are for safety reasons. I mean, I guess there could be a recall that wasn't safety. But if it's seat belt recall, if there's something wrong, you know with the electronics, Uh, I would assume that virtually for them to recall and tell everybody who's driving a twenty twenty three whatever fill in the blank, that's got to be pretty serious stuff.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, no, sometimes it isn't dan. Sometimes it's an inspection stuff like that. But what I'm saying is when the new cop comes in, someone buys the new car, we run it through. If we don't do a sticker on it because we think it's just the state trying to get more money because of course it's going to pass. They get alerted we could have a car, and then two weeks later the recall comes out.
Speaker 2: Now I got it. I got it the first time. Yeah, so yeah, it can happen. I guess it can happen. Hey, Joe, thanks, thank you as always for clarifying that. Thanks. How how's car business hasn't been heck pic in the last couple of weeks with all this rumors about tariffs and everything.
Speaker 8: Dan, Dan, it's always hectic. By the way, I want to sell you an EO V. Your daughter would be so proud, okay, she would.
Speaker 2: What do you reckon? What do you now? It was you're you said you're a Chevy dealership. What of the new Chevys do you think is the best one? What was you read?
Speaker 8: I love the Equinox EV. It's the technology is crazy, Dan. I'd spend two hours with you. I mean you would still be scratching I had saying what else does it do?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 2: What's what's the sticker price? What's the stick a price? What's the sticker price on an Equinox EV?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: Probably close to forty. But then there's a seventy five hundred dollars rebate from the government for buying it, and you know it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Then you got to have a Then you have to have a charging station at home.
Speaker 8: Right, Well, you could do a one ten depends on how much you drive. If you drive, you know, fifty miles a day, you can charge it on a regular one ten out of it. If you have a two twenty feet going in your house, then you can go to the higher level charging, which the adapter does in the vehicle we sell you, and then you can charge it in probably eight hours, don't either.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, something to think about, Joe, I got to run here up my break. Always great to hear your voice.
Speaker 6: Thank you many sure, thank you.
Speaker 2: Talk to you soon. Coming right back. On the other side, we had two calls from New Hampshire. Bob and Wakefield, Massachusetts, Joe in New Hampshire and Brian and Dery, New Hampshire. We will get to all three of them and then we will change topics at eleven o'clock. If you want to try to sneak in, I promise we got Joe, Bob and Brian maybe room for you, but you got it. You'll be taking a chance coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Back to the phone's going to go to Bob and Wakefield. First, Bob, you were next on Nightsiger.
Speaker 4: Right ahead, Hey Dan, how are you good, sir?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 4: I get a question. But first of all, as far as the inspection stickers, I don't really have a it's thirty five bucks a year. I don't really have a real problem with that. But I do have a problem. It's a pet peeve of mine. It's called noise pollution. And I don't know whether you've noticed this, but Ef, we're out on the road or the highway or walking and you hit these cars going by, they sound like a motorcycle.
Speaker 2: You bet you're sure?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, these are cut off. These are muffler cutoffs that they're aftermarket, and the individual that owans these cars are putting these things on them purpose. You can buy them on eBay, get them on the amaz offered.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I just don't know why. Anybody who's in a car once the car does sound like that, don't get.
Speaker 4: Here's my issue. No, I totally agree with you. I have no idea either. The thing is in Massachusetts General Laws, Part one, and there's a whole bunch of other numbers after that. No person shall and I'm really used to that word shall is Electrician Daniel shell Shells mean you can't. So it says no person shall use a muffler cut off or a bypass. So my question is, I don't know how these cars are going in and getting an inspection and not getting flagged for these things because they're illegal in Massachusetts. That's that's my problem.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe maybe they're not seeing it. Maybe they're going to guys who they know. I wish I could tell you. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well maybe maybe if you could do this, Dan, if you get the next time I know you've had the register on every once in a while, if you get the register on, if you could maybe get asked the register you know why they're not enforcing that because it is it's it's it's absolutely insane. They sound like motorcycles going by my house every night.
Speaker 2: Well, the Registrar Motive Vehicles has not been There was a period of time we would have the Registrar Motive Vehicles on quite frequently, but for some reason, I think there's been so many problems that the Registry, including the real ID fiasco that's been going on for the last few weeks, that I think the Register's last name is ogilvy uh, and she hasn't been anxious. They're they're pr people, and they basically hide. They get these these great jobs, and they figured that they only are going to get in trouble doing a radio show. That's what I think goes on with a lot of them.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't understand it. But again, this is not the step on it. But but you know, I just don't understand why.
Speaker 2: I think you raised a great point, Bob. I think you raised a great point, as you often do. And maybe someone else has a quick answer for us out there. But yeah, I've listened to some of these cars go by me and it's like a nice weather for the maybe you got the window halfway down or whatever, and all of a sudden, like come on, what what what's this all about? Oh, it's the same way the guy that's got the radio, that's got the radio blasted and the windows are down. Okay, it's like, if you really want the radio that loud pull the windows up so it can reverberate inside your darn car. You know, that's another story. It's the same mentality. I got to get two more in here, Bob, so I'm gonna let you scooter. Kay. Thanks.
Speaker 4: And one last thing. These things are connected to a switchcam, okay, so they can turn them on and they can turn them off.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 4: If they feel like making some noise, they turn the switch on and then they can turn them right off. It's ridiculous. All right there, buddy, We'll talk to you a little later.
Speaker 2: Okay, Thank you, Bob, appreciate its keep rolling here. Going to go first to Joe and then to Brian in New Hampshire. Joe you in next one nights.
Speaker 6: I go right ahead, Dan, thanks shaking my call.
Speaker 9: Thank you for getting me through so many drives home. I'm actually driving home from Beverly. I had a show to night in Beverly, driving back to New Hampshire. So this is one that's near and dear in my heart. Get rid of it. I always make the joke that I want to run for office just to get rid of state inspections, and then I'll resign the next day and let someone that knows how to do that job. Do it. But it's the biggest money grab, the biggest scam if anything. I feel like it should be state run because personal experience. My wife actually went got an inspection. They told her that her brakes were bad and she needed new breaks, and the brakes were actually well within the regulations. You can go to the New State in ma Hampshire website and it tells you what everything has to be and like the regulations and her breaks the millimeters were well within that. So I've always just been soured towards inspections. I actually have not got an inspection last year. I was pulled over one time and the police officer told me I would never give a ticket for an inspection sticker, so just get a new.
Speaker 4: One and that was it.
Speaker 9: So I have two more or it's the end of April now, so I probably have a week left before I have to get my twenty twenty or twenty twenty five sticker I never got last year.
Speaker 2: You you, I am a rebel on the edge.
Speaker 9: I am that guy that didn't rewind the video tapes at Blockbuster. No, it's just sort of my my little thing to get. I'm just so against them and I would rather pay a fine than go to a mechanic that I know my car is going to pass an inspection. There's nothing wrong with it at all. I just it's just my little thing. I don't want to do it. My wife is very much about obeying the law, and she has an inspection sticker. I won't do it, though.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a little bit of a rebel, but you're in a good state. Live for you die. What are you a musician that you had a show tonight somewhere?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 9: No, I do professional wrestling. So we actually had an event at Endicott College, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Trying to do with college very well. So are you a wrestler.
Speaker 9: I'm a manager, So I actually just make everybody really mad at me and then get in there and get beat up, get paid in the home.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh you know something. One of my favorite sports figures was the Grand Wizard of Wrestling. Yah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean back in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: He's an icon in my age, in my mind, and a brilliant tactician. By the way, I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 9: I actually I feel a lot from him because nobody wrestling fans nowadays don't know who the Grand Wizard is, and he was probably three years before I started watching wrestling. I'm a little bit older than most, but I appreciate the Grand Wizard and I love, you know, just doing the little things that he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will bet you that you're surprised that this talk show host was able to refer to the Grand Wizard of wrestling. It shows what a broad college I have. Because the thing about wrestling is Eddie Andelman said, it's the only sports that never been touched by scandal, and it was. It was great minds and tacticians like the Grand Wizard of Wrestling who kept it on the level. So I thank you for what you do, and I hope you're following in his footsteps. And Joe keep us posted. Maybe we'll do a show some night on wrestling. I mean that song.
Speaker 9: I will be the first to call. I would be the first.
Speaker 2: We may have you on as a guest and uh and get sort of like behind the scenes stuff. But that's great. I'm so great. You had a nice crowd up at the school tonight, I hope.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there was about five hundred and fifty people and they only sold it to the college students.
Speaker 6: So it was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. It's great to get college students into the sport because I think it's one of the purest sports that there is and I think we should have, you know, professional wrestling in the Olympics, and I think in my lifetime it's my dream that that we have that. Joe, thank you so much for your call. Please keep in touch. Okay, I mean that honestly. Rob will give you my director. I want you to have my direct line. Give me a call someday. Okay, thank you much. We're gonna get one more. Callit here, Brian and Derry, New Hampshire. Brian, we've we've blown up New Hampshire tonight. You're gonna end in first.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Brian, Hawaii, Dan, thank you. Thirteen states throughout the fifty throughout the country don't have inspections thickness thirteen states.
Speaker 2: Thirteen have them.
Speaker 6: Well, no, it's thirty.
Speaker 2: No, No, I think you're I'm gonna disagree with you on that. The vast majority of states do not have the requirement of inspection stickers.
Speaker 6: That's right, that's right, do not And up here, Okay, you got a double niggati about me.
Speaker 2: There but yeah, ironically Massachusetts and New Hampshire we have we have laws and requirements in Massachusetts for everything everything. In New Hampshire, you guys are live for your die state and you still have whatever.
Speaker 6: Whatever, whatever, even doesn't move, its.
Speaker 2: Tax everything in the only two things that, as I've said before, anything that moves and anything that doesn't move gets taxed. Absolutely, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: And also it should be due to the matt three.
Speaker 9: Years thirty six thousand miles bump a bumper on a warranty when you buy a new cap so this stick for three years.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not unreasonable. I think you know. I listened to the nine o'clock hour because we had Steve Smith, who's the Deputy Speaker of the House, a Republican up in New Hampshire, and he made a pretty good argument for it. I wish it had called earlier and we could talk more about it. But thank you for calling nonetheless and re emphasizing that we're in the minority with with with automobile inspections, and I don't I don't know that our roads and our traffic fatality numbers are any safer. As a matter of fact, Massachusetts traffic fatalities are up over the last few years. Believe it or not. We talked with representative of Triple A the other night about that very subject. Brian, thank you man, I keep calling the show. Give you more time next time, I promise.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, thank you, Dan, have a good evening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks. Okay. Here comes Bine, Here comes the eleven o'clock News, and we are going to talk about bringing restaurant chains that have gone bankrupt back, reviving them. And we're gonna start with the conversation about friendlies. What restaurant chain would you like to see come back. We'll be back here on Nightside right after the eleven o'clock News