Speaker 1: Breaking down all the X is a ohs. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why in the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty on Steve Riverta, your Troy Hutches Sin. We got ready with breaking news.
Speaker 3: But first the first I just want to clear something. I did mean Christian Conrad, not Conrad Mattertinez. Sorry, it's both Conrads. I got it confused. It happens. Christian Conrad is what I meant to say, the pitching coach for pitching coach for Arizona. Obviously short little point card that just transferred Conrad Martinez. It's not the pitching coach. I said, God, that's interesting. They have the same name.
Speaker 4: I didn't even catch all right, yeah, okay, sorry, question myself too.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is I.
Speaker 1: On the Ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: All right, after that that clear up, got some got some cool stuff here. Colton Smith, ranked number one hundred and thirty five in the world, is two wins away from the main draw at Wimbledon.
Speaker 5: So I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also in local news.
Speaker 3: Colton Smith and former U of A yeah, tennis player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, former U of a tennis player. Sorry if I didn't preface that. This is a cool local one that I saw. Dariel Rivero. I guess he comes from a big baseball family here in the area. Has been is gonna have a tryout for roster spot on the twelve under national team for the World Baseball Softball Confederation.
Speaker 2: Mm hm, and so female women no softball.
Speaker 4: I mean it says USA Baseball this is and then it also says World Baseball Softball Confederation. Okay, so let's do both. I don't know how that works, but it's on all sports to soon. Anybody wants check.
Speaker 2: Mike, Mike, Mike, Christian Conrad will call us know her. I've your Mike calls with that clarification.
Speaker 4: Also, we kind of talked about this one already. But Arizona signed chip Kill to a four year extension and Arizona was ranked seventh in the final.
Speaker 2: That's about right. They were picked in the draft Kings blah blah blah. They were the seventh favorite team to win it all.
Speaker 4: So that was pretty Who's a Who's a Louis Murray Louisville one.
Speaker 3: I don't know why would say, Louisville, Murray State.
Speaker 4: I think Louisville, Yeah, Louisville sixth it was Louisville sixth, U C l A, Oregon State, Arkansas Coastal and then l s U.
Speaker 3: Yeah. All right.
Speaker 4: Following that up, big news from yesterday, everybody's talking about it. Thunder win their first NBA championship in Oklahoma City.
Speaker 5: Obviously they won, uh one or two? I think in Seattle one just one.
Speaker 3: I think one.
Speaker 5: I know they won one.
Speaker 4: For sure, I don't I'm not sure if they want to want a second one. And then big news that also came out today is that tyresee towards Achilles, so he'll probably be out for next season. It's considering how late it was in the year for for this year. Moving on to baseball, I know Troy always likes to talk about the Diamondbacks. Uh you know, uh, they lost unfortunately against the Rockies, but they won the series yesterday, or they lost yesterday but won the series, and they have another one coming up against the White Sox.
Speaker 3: So is that we're home.
Speaker 4: Nope, No, hopefully the Pope doesn't influence any of that, or you know, the divine.
Speaker 2: You're telling him not to be involved in this is what you're saying.
Speaker 4: You never know, you know, he's he's supposed to be the big guys right hand man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So hopefully doesn't mess with it.
Speaker 3: Stay out of politics and religion.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hey, well, I mean he got into sports. I stay out of sports too.
Speaker 5: Another big, another big story.
Speaker 3: Conrad Martinez is the pitching coach for you.
Speaker 5: May uh hey, he's a double threat. You know, double threat. You can do it on the court and on the field.
Speaker 4: The Sons obviously made that huge trade yesterday for Or they traded Kevin Duran.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry to the Rockets obviously.
Speaker 4: We already talked about how that could affect Carter Bryan's draft stock.
Speaker 5: O Tani, gotta you get rock yesterday. No, he had a couple of strikeouts.
Speaker 3: Did he did he give up any runs? I don't think he did.
Speaker 2: Just went one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, still just going one. Doesn't say when they're gonna start upping that. But he threw eighteen. So staying fairly uh conservative with the well Dodgers were saying fairly conservative without arm Oh this is one that I kind of surprised me in fis you I think former quarterback I think it's said former quarterback on the headline, but I don't really, I can't see it now. It's called out Alabama even though this like they're playing each other this coming season.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it's pretty early to start giving bulletin material.
Speaker 5: But I mean, what do you say he just said that, uh.
Speaker 4: Said Alabama doesn't have Nick Saban to save them anymore.
Speaker 3: He's right, yeah, it's not not not all the way wrong and even four and three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and who knows what he's going to do considering right, what happened last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he shouldn't be talking crap after doing what they did last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's a bad look.
Speaker 3: That's is that it? Yeah, there's not a lot, there's not.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, then the one trying to find that one that you sent me the ritual report, Okay, yeah, what it means?
Speaker 6: I don't know if you can get it up on on there because your phone. That's interesting to me. Yeah, so just like while I look for it, I could preface it. The n c A A is I mean, it was brought up.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's like really how much it was debated, but it was brought up someone within like the board or somewhere something like that is debating, or like, like I said, brought up changing the betting rules to allow players and staff which you know.
Speaker 2: Well, to allow them to Yes, yeah, you might want to read that more carefully that I don't think that'd be foolish for them to do.
Speaker 4: That first paragraph is as n c double A leaders prepared to decide whether to pass new legislation that would allow college athletes, coaches, and staffords to bet on professional sports. The idea of granting that permission reportedly has not gone over well with the members of thirty five person Well, oh professional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that kind of makes sense, but they still wouldn't allow that. I still don't think that would better. No, yeah, I don't think so either. No matter how prominent or that gambling is in the world that we live in and how they sponsor stuff now I can venues and things like that, I.
Speaker 3: Don't I don't think they would. Not only that, but not that it doesn't happen already. But how many athletes and coaches know athletes coaches at that level, sure, oh that guy's I'm playing okay, cool? Thanks, got it know?
Speaker 4: And how many I think another thing too, is like, how many NCAA players are really going to be able to bet?
Speaker 5: You still got to be twenty one?
Speaker 3: True?
Speaker 2: True, but true, But it just opens up in another can of worms. Wh I deal with it? Yeah, I think it's better just to stay away from it. Yeah, not that it prevents them already. Yeah, well that's for another different topic. But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know a lot of people. Uh, giving how it's his name, Alex Caruso some heat?
Speaker 2: Where did he play in college? Because he was undrafted? He's another Yeah, yeah, he's another t J. Yeah, better DJ Texas A and M. Really Texas A and M. I never would have thought that. I would have thought he's low. No, No, you know who plays it? You know who played it in your Mexico Indianapolis, the Indiana good player, the tall guy.
Speaker 3: Myles Turner, no be topping, No, the other guy dating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they were pretty good when he was there, foreign guy International.
Speaker 3: That's when.
Speaker 2: That's when New Mexico State was good, maybe three four years ago, before all the trouble. I didn't even know he did until I saw his name and I realized he paid played that in New Mexico State. He's fantastic. He would have been able to say them had you know, he and Matren had a fairly good fourth quarter. I guess it was, and and uh had a pretty good third quarter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but once once you lose that, oh no, no, you were you.
Speaker 2: Were going to win that just given the you know, the whole game to play like that.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean and I think it, you know, for you know, even though the outcome it wasn't with like Pacers and and their fans wanted. I mean it was it was until the third like halfway through the third quarter.
Speaker 2: It was a good game, hey, with about three minute stuff and they were up by twelve.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking that no.
Speaker 2: Lead is safe given the the game three, the games ago, whatever it was. But where Indianapolis lost the series was the game five when they had that big lead and then they gave it up.
Speaker 7: One.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think it was Game four, one of those games, game five, because you could have gone up three one. Oh so game four they had a huge leader in the game. I am not on it today, man, that's getting it. It's freezing in he though, No, No, it was Game four, because ye, yeah, it was Game four yeah, yeah, No, I mean that's a big opportunity missed and now like it was great for Indianapolis and you should celebrate making it that far. But yea, when are you going to get back?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And is it even possible to get back with this? Now that Halliburton is probably gonna be out for a year, you're going to miss that year with them. Then guys are going to get older, Then contracts are going to happen, are not going to be the same. I think your window of yeah and things can change, go ahead to kill it right now? Your window is closing, Yeah, because of the injury. I think the injury plays a massive rolle.
Speaker 2: What do you think about Phoenix with that trade? I love the trade because.
Speaker 3: Because one, it's hard to get anything for a thirty seven year old they I think they could have gotten a little bit more, But I'm fine what they got in terms of the draft pick side of it. But thirty seven year old making one hundred and not one hundred fifty one million dollars, that's difficult to trade. Two, he's not the same player. At three. You got a young, talented player in Jalen Green. I know he's on a big contract. But contracts are going to go up over time.
Speaker 2: You get paid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what, you know what everybody says when he's on your team. He's a great team guy. They all love him. Sure, he's one of those guys you hate to go against him. But Phoenix has been charm and soft. They've been soft as heck over the last couple of years. You need that toughness. You need something ever since mckel bridges left, ever since you got rid of that core. And again I would do that trade on hundred percent every time, but other things played out. You lost that toughness. You get the tenth overall pick. I think that's a bonus. I like Carter Bryant with that before Hick before well they still have their pick, the twenty ninth pain. So now you have two picks. You get five second round draft picks, and I think that's where you kind of lose me. You should have been able to at least get one of your draft picks back from Houston, so I would have wanted to first round draft picks. So this tenth pick and a future first but other than that, you have five second round picks, which you could maybe trade up and get into the first round. Late in that first round.
Speaker 2: I thought they came out with the steal and Durant's old, right, yeah, and he's he had a pretty good year this year. We'll see what happens. Houston will be pretty good. Well well, I mean, are they done? Probably not.
Speaker 3: So the one of the rumors out there is are they going to be able to pair Giannis and Durant in Houston? And does that work out? Because and is that even.
Speaker 2: Think about it?
Speaker 3: With him, he's just he's just a diva. It's just it's just to pair anybody with him. Did you see did you see the interview after he got traded, because he was on a podcast during that Yeah, yeah, and some of the reporter asked him about the trade and your thoughts on leaving Phoenix. He goes, well, the fans really didn't want me anyway. They're getting tired of me, so now they got what they wanted. Bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well here's that dude, because he has there's burner, he pays the stuff. Just just play.
Speaker 3: I mean, I worry about it.
Speaker 2: You pay me fifty one millions. I don't even need to say hello.
Speaker 3: You could You could go out right now and tweet at him, and he'll respond, oh yeah, yeah, which makes no sense. Yeah, it makes no sense.
Speaker 5: I mean, what else are you gonna do? You know, you're thirty seven in the off season under game.
Speaker 2: Who's that guy on tweeting meat?
Speaker 8: There?
Speaker 3: But no, I think I think Jalen Green is a good piece, and I think you could either keep Dylan Brooks or flip them. Potentially. I think it's better if they flipped. Okay, let's go, we go. What do we got, Yeah, we can go for seventeen. Who do we have? Ryan Well, Brian Peterson. Yeah, that'll be that'll be interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, right now, it's your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just entered this nationwide keyword on our website, Bills. That's Bills, and right now, are.
Speaker 9: You ready ready to discover your soul, your wildside, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 3: Are you ready enterprise?
Speaker 10: So Fasca Yuki try The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for ready to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dororattle, Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Kimm'call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 11: Spring is in the air and the school year is coming to a close. Time to order your academic and spring sports awards for your student athlete. Creative Awards with fifty two years as your top awards and promotional product supplier. Give them an award they can be proud of. They have trophies, plaques, acrylics, art class fine crystal, metal, name badges, stock and custom awards. Come visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West TrackMan Street, across the street from Pima College Downtown campus, or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 12: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltpeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A KO nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, got to commitment to Lindrix syncredit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with un notice.
Speaker 13: Did you know collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtimecards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on EA Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Vicall five two oh seven to four to OHO twelve thirteen, brout sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 8: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 14: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society.
Speaker 5: Everything you see is a product.
Speaker 14: Of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, thrown, and modernized based solely on the minerals in process.
Speaker 3: That's why finding is so important.
Speaker 2: Govm dot com.
Speaker 10: Looking for quality windows without the weight, come to the Window Depot. We carry a huge selection of mill guard windows in stock now and ready for pickup. Need something custom no problem, from new construction to full home replacement. Will help you order the perfect mill Guard windows built to fit your space, style and budget. Whether you're a homeowner or contractor, the Window Depot makes it easy to get the windows you need fast. Visit the Window deepot dot com to find a location near you and see why we're your mill Guard Window experts.
Speaker 1: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to One in the Ball here Fox Sports feteen fifty m. Steve river your Troy Hutchison from Gooisey Cats. Now we have Brian Peterson from Azy Desert Swarm. Brian, how are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me back.
Speaker 2: Sure sure. Let me say this, it was probably a matter of when, not if, right about.
Speaker 7: Chip with the contract extension, Yeah, yeah, yeah, It's something that had to get done going into the final year of his deal. Now, there are a lot of coaches at Arizona that are in that situation, so there should be other extensions coming soon for other coaches. But when you're coming off a trip to the World Series, and that's just the perfect time to do it, either during or right after. So I'm not surprised that it came at this point, you know.
Speaker 3: Looking at the run that they were able to have, and we had you on the show, I believe right before the College World Series and you're saying Arizona will have success if the pitching staff holds up, they're able to do that. And I know, you know themes played in the eighth ennying that nobody realized what was going to happen. But how impressed were you guys like Bailey, Smith and others in that rotation.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, The starting pitching had been struggled in the previous series, the first two games in North Carolina the Super Regional, So to have Owenkrankowski and Smith Bailey put up the starts that they did, they put Arizona in position in both of those games. Those starters left the games with the lead, and the bullpen had been a strength all season. This team had not lost a game that it was leading or tied after six innings all season, and then it happened both of those games. You know, you could call it regression to the mean, you could call it just you know, law of averages. But they the thing that hadn't happened to them all year happened in those two games, and that's why they were done so quickly.
Speaker 2: What was the mood like after the first two up to the first loss and then the second loss? So was the you know, is it different than basketball is because baseball is always different.
Speaker 7: Well, I mean because of the fact that it's a double elimination tournament. You have the ability to bounce back after a loss, and they had shown so many times during the season the ability to do that, including in the Super Regionals, So there was a feeling of, hey, we've been through this before, we can bounce back from it. There were some concerns that because of how painful that first loss was, it wasn't a blowout, the one that they were leading and then it fell apart at the end, how they would handle that. But then the next game they start out they're up to nothing. They made too many mistakes along the way to they didn't give themselves enough of a margin of er.
Speaker 3: At the end.
Speaker 7: And then after that second game, I mean, there's devastation because suddenly it's all over. But I think that once they got over that initial pain, they still were able to reflect on how big of a season this was overall.
Speaker 2: I talked to Michael Love for sure, maybe somebody else too. But when you were most of all, if not all games for Arizona, then if you were a fan, how difficult was it to follow them? Because it seemed like in the eighth or ninety and no lead was safe. They didn't score enough runs for you one and then who knew, at least in the last month that I started paying attention, it was like, holy crap, you don't know if that's enough, especially in the playoffs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that the offense was not as good as expected, whether it be some injuries but just overall cohesiveness. They weren't a team that was going to be regularly scoring eight to ten runs a game. They were a team that was going to find themselves in close games. But they hadn't lost a game that was decided by one run since the season opener, so they'd been able to handle those pressure situations. I think if you had been watching all along, it's stressful, but it also you'd known that this team had been built to be able to win those close games, and which is what made it so surprising both those losses, especially since it happened in the eighth inning of both, and both of them were pretty much implosions, especially at the second one.
Speaker 3: I think we talked about this Steve and I with Michael lev during after everything, But obviously Summer Hill, a tremendous player, had a great career at Arizona, but during that postseason, all the injuries that he sustained throughout the season seemed to maybe be taking a pull on him offensively up there at the plate, and obviously when you're going through a slump, that's another factor as well. Do you think there was ever a time where Arizona maybe he should have maybe mixed things up in the lineup at the College World Series. I know it's hard to do that in those moments, though.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I wouldn't have taken him out of the lineup because I think he still provides so much value with drawing walks and his ability to put pressure on the bases and all that. He wasn't hitting as well. He just didn't have that whole power that he had had before he was hurt. Where I might have looked at trying to take him out of the outfield and make him be the DH and have Andrew Kane, who'd been DH, handle right field because he had filled in in the outfield at times when Summer Hill was out. But I think it was just a matter of they wanted to go with the guys who were there, and that I guess they just didn't feel that on the defensive side it had as much of an impact. But it's weird. It never looked like he was able to really get a good jump on a lot of the balls to him in right field after he got injured, And I don't know if that was because he didn't want to take too hard of a first step and reinjure. You know, I can't speak for somebody injury wise how they feel about not wanting to get hurt, especially when you are a couple months away from signing a seven figure deal as a signing bonus after getting drafted, but it was pretty evident that there was something missing from him there.
Speaker 2: Let's switch to basketball. Outside of Tommy Lloyd freaking out when I didn't like Sonora Dogs and him kind of messing with me when I said that Caleb Love hasn't been listed in any lists and he him saying that he's going to play in the NBA.
Speaker 3: What do you think I mean?
Speaker 7: I wouldn't be surprised. I've seen that he's starting to slightly move up some of these draft boards.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he'll get drafted.
Speaker 7: If someone would really have to want to take a flyer in the second round, maybe if it's a team that has three or four picks through trades, that they might want to take a flyer. But he's going to get a summer league invite somewhere, and that seems like a place where he could really really thrive too, because he's playing with like minded players who are trying to get on those spots. And I wouldn't It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him be in someone's camp and then end up being on their G League team this year.
Speaker 2: That I don't disagree with. Yeah, No, I agree, And that's a big difference of being on this roster at the end of NBA level.
Speaker 3: Well, we've seen with not only Tommy's guys, but Sean Miller's guys as well, them get that summer league invite, have a tremendous summer league all of a sudden they're in the league. Treer kind of similar. But obviously he's out of the league now, but that summer league invite is so important for these players.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't end up on someone's summer league roster just for the simple fact that you've got you need guys and you're going to be playing a bunch of games in a short period of time. And while that you do have some of your existing players there that you want to see what they can do, you pretty much have an idea about them. You really are trying to find that twelve thirteen fourteen guy on your roster and also building the depths in the minors, and that's where he can get that opportunity. And if he has a couple big games, then he might start out on a roster and be one of those you know, last on the bench guys, or if they really feel like they want to develop him more than and playing a lot of minutes, and he'd be down in.
Speaker 3: The G League. Yeah. You know, one thing that was mentioned during Tommy Lloyd's press conference, and I don't think really was focused on that much from Tommy, was is this going to be the final roster the world? There'd be another edition. They do have room for, I believe one more edition. But he said yes, yeah, he said, well, he said they're always looking stuff like that. But I mean, when you get to this point of this of the off season, it's kind of hard to find that piece that you want to bring in at this point, correct correct.
Speaker 7: I mean he's got technically he's got room for three guys because they've got twelve on there plus the walk on. That all three of the walk ons would be ones that could count above the cap because of the the NCAA House Settlement ruling with designating student athletes above the number, So they do have some room there, But I mean, there's not really anybody left in the portal that is of any sort of value. And unless there were like a coaching change that happened and someone went in the portal that they could grab, they'd really just be adding like either another international player or maybe some sort of like a junior college or prep player. But again, it would be from a development standpoint, And you wonder how much more development guys you want when you're already going to have seven freshmen on the team, and that's assuming that the player from Germany ends up coming over. He hasn't signed yet, but you just I don't know how much you're going to have room for guys that aren't going to play a lot.
Speaker 2: Right Well, he's in Switzerland now, who knows, and he's playing against some pretty good players, so who knows what you'll see from Tommy I will see what happens with him. What else softball? I know you don't cover it all the time, but your your site does. What do you think about Caitlin's situation given that Chip just signed his.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean should be getting a contract extension in my opinion. I mean, I know that people expect World Series every year, but that's becoming harder and harder in college softball with the investment from other conferences. And I think Arizona still wants to be one of the premier programs, so that is an expectation and a hope each year. But I think maybe giving her a couple extra years, just adding on to it for security purposes. I know that when I've spoken with desire Read transfois the athletic director, she is more of the belief that there isn't so much of a need to do that because college sports have become a year by year transactional thing that a long contract doesn't really have as much of an impact on recruiting. But I think there's still something to be said for rewarding a coach for what they have been able to do and the amount of money it would cost if you needed to buy out a contract like that for a sport like softball is not very large. This isn't like giving This isn't like giving Brent Brennan an extension right now and then having to pay him after, you know, if they fire him another year into it or something, or even you know, Heaven forbid Tommy Lloyd and all that.
Speaker 3: Those are different.
Speaker 7: But but the smaller sports, I don't see there's I don't think it costs you very much to an extent.
Speaker 2: So you've been you mentioned that at least twice in this conversation in the last two hours. Right, surely so did he? Did she say that to a group of you guys or just individuals?
Speaker 3: No, I forget where I saw. I saw it somewhere, and I forget where. It might have been Brian that put it out on Socialeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it might have actually been Michael who wrote about it. But what Michael and I Michael left and I kind of cornered her when we were in Chapel Hill for the Super regionals and uh, you know, asking about Caitlin and asking about Chip and she had said that when there's something to announce, then it will be announced. But that I had asked about going into the final year of a contract and being having that security of knowing that you're beyond that. And she said, I've never talked to a recruit who cared about the contract status of their coach. That may be true, but parents, I think, do feel a different way, and that they want to know that the person that they're entrusting their kid too is going to be around more than one year. So I think there is value in having that. And again, if not that much money, that it would really make much of a difference.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question.
Speaker 2: I've never heard that before from anybody, saying that, you know, you want to be more secure with who you're going to be playing for, But you're right, and it goes And that's kind of like assuming that the player said player signs and then leaves up for one year to somewhere else.
Speaker 7: Sure, and in all the sports now, I mean, everything is essentially a one year contract for all the players unless they sign some sort of a deal beyond that. But I believe even those have buyouts in them if players want to leave, which is how you probably should do it to prevent somebody from leaving after they've signed something, just like you would with a coach. So I just think while it's become a year by year thing, you do want to try to lock in people that you want to keep so that you don't give them incentive to want to look elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know, as we kind of talked about it with baseball wrapping up the year, one thing that we forgot to mention is that Arizona will be looking for a new pitching coach with Kevin Vans taking the San Diego State head coaching job after the tremendous job he did here in Tucson. When you look at the pitching coaching situation and potential names out there, who comes to mind and what kind of lists do you have in mind at this point?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm pretty sure that the job has already been filled. The position is still listed on the website for an assistant coach for baseball, and I think that might be by state law it has to be open for a certain amount of time. But all indications are that John de Ruin, who had been the director of pitching Performance and Strategy essentially the assistant pitching coach, is going to be elevated to the pitching coach, and he was just as involved and just as valuable to what's happened in pitching here as Kevin Vance and he's stuck around. He's not going with San Diego State, so he would be in line to take that position, And from players and parents that I've talked to who like on the pitching side, him sticking around, along with another guy named Owen Cuff, who was another pitching strategist who would probably then be the assistant pitching coach. Those two sticking around has made it so that I don't see any of their notable pitchers, especially a guy like Kramkowski or Smith Bailey, going anywhere. And there's still ten days left in the portal, but Arizona has not lost one player of any significance to the portal. The only guys that have left have been bench players or players who just didn't play at all. So I think that just speaks to the continuity that they've been able to keep here, and Vance leaving had the potential to affect that. But I think to Ruin and Cuff sticking around is going to mean that these pitchers are still going to be here next year.
Speaker 2: So maybe final question we had lev on maybe before the tournament or right right before, and we talked about because he didn't go, you were able to get there? Did you sit in on the LSU press conference? Did you have time?
Speaker 3: I know you were delayed.
Speaker 7: I didn't go to the one before the tournament, but I did go to one of the ones after the tournament, and like during one of the postgame ones, and Ezra Amaker, who's also on staff, was there beyond the time that I was there and attended a couple others. And I mean, it is interesting hearing Jay Johnson's talk when speaking just in general, because he's so insightful about everything with baseball.
Speaker 3: But it is funny.
Speaker 7: There were a couple of times he had made mentions of Arizona, either in a postgame press conference or whatnot, one of which was after they had their game that was suspended on one night and then finished the next day. He was asked what he's learned about going through so many weather delays while with LSU, and he said, if there's one thing I'd learned, it's that the best weather in college baseball is in Tucson, because he didn't really have that situation here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the one question is nobody asked him. I think Lev had it in the queue for Facebook, you know, talk about his time here to and why he left, or just that uncomfortable feeling a poil left.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And I think if it had gotten to the point where, I mean, certainly if they had played each other, then that was going to have to come up. And it really didn't the opportunity to ask something like that after a game against some other team just it wasn't fitting. But yeah, I mean I think that if I would imagine, his answer would be something about how much he really loved and had what he wanted to do there, but he couldn't pass up on the opportunity to be at a program like LSU. And there was also shown i mean true titles in his first four years. That's the fastest anybody's ever done that. Previously it had been eight years, and one of the people that did that was Jerry Kendall at Arizona. So I Jay made the right move for what he wanted to accomplish, and at this pace, he's going to go down if he continues as one of the greatest coaches in college baseball history.
Speaker 2: The last question just related to him. Obviously, he's done a great job. I asked this so Michael, because I didn't cover baseball. What is his secret, sauce? How does he get his guys to play hard?
Speaker 3: Pri him?
Speaker 7: Jay Johnson, Yeah, you know that man lives and breathes college baseball and everything is about it. Like he's married and he has he may.
Speaker 3: Have other interests.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but it's all about baseball, Like he's constantly talking about it, and he's he's looking at plans and figuring out what he's going to be doing for these guys, not just now but in the future along with I think at Arizona he had to try to get these guys to come here even though they were going to get drafted, and he ran into the case multiple times of a player he would identify as a freshman er, sophomore in college who would then blow up and they get drafted in the first round and there's no way they're going to pass up that money. At LSU, he's managed to because they have more resources be able to get a lot of those guys to stay go to college and then after two three years, like a guy like Kate Anderson who through that complete game in the first game of the championship series, He's a guy that should have signed out of high school. But Jay was able to convince him, come here for two years and you're going to be like one of the top five picks. And sure enough, that's what ended up happening. I think he's just he's very good at motivating and getting people to see that he shares the vision of what they can be and how far they can come.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense. Okay, thanks Brian, appreciate your time.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me, guys, Brian.
Speaker 3: Peterson from SWARM.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, thanks, Let's take a break and come back with their final second. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve they you deserve. Arizona House the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you.
Speaker 5: Learn how at Pima dot edu.
Speaker 3: Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve Rivera heir and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen Nord Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 15: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge and exercise equipment on twenty seconds just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 16: Craving, Tucson's best burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 17: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peas mean more money in your pocket, Let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the Two Suns Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where Less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ravera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to about here Fox Sports fourteen fifty of Steve Rivera. You're Troy Hutchison from Goyskis dot com ray about that phone number thing. Anybody want to call, please do five to two oh four, one, six, seventy four or forty that's our number.
Speaker 3: To give us a call.
Speaker 2: See what we're talking about, what we're not talking about.
Speaker 3: And everything in between.
Speaker 5: Man, what a summer.
Speaker 2: Huh, It's be a long summer. I'm be coming of June. I'll be won't be here next week. I'm going out of town Tuesday through Sunday. So I got five more shows to fill up tomorrow. I think I got some guests. You're not in tomorrow, right, you're out. You're out too as well, okay, So then you'll be back Thursday, Friday, okay, and then now show Monday, No show Monday, okay, But Tuesday we go, so you know, whatever, a lot of things shall We're going to talk to the tomorrows again.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: They're pretty good. They're pretty good. Sugar Schools one. Over the weekend. You didn't know that they want to beat Northern Arizona. So now they beat Northern Arizona and Phoenix Phoenix. Yep, something's going on with that team. So we talk to done this weekend as well. What else anything that Brian said that struck you just the.
Speaker 3: Thing about the pitching coach. I mean, it makes sense to promote from what NF you have success and you know, yes he helped out in the analytical role and stuff like that in terms of that, but let's see how it translates to him being a pitching coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, there's different. Yeah, there's different. It's like moving over, you know, the seats assistant the head coach. Let me ask you to. So now it makes sense. It's what you were talking about with the contracts of being more yearly, which kind of still doesn't kind of make sense, doesn't feel right, but it does for the lower paid coaches. Yeah, because you don't have to pay him a lot of money in case he leave or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're talking about contracts on average, but like maybe five hundred at most. And then you look at sports like soccer, swimming, golf, like, I'm sure it's not probably over one hundred thousand, but not much.
Speaker 2: Totally different game than when I used to do it when I was younger. I don't feel old, but I guess I'm really old when it goes to this, because it's just a new game. You know, stories change, We'll see what happens. Brendan gets his guys here in about a month.
Speaker 3: In the July, and the July, some of them are already on campus. Jayden Bradley is on campus right now working out.
Speaker 2: No, no, I'm talking about Brent.
Speaker 3: Oh, Brent, Oh, my bad Brennan. Yes. And the July again, some of them are already on campus doing team workouts and stuff, but gearing up for training camp. And then you're gonna have a lot of those incoming freshmen that weren't here for spring football, seeing how that impacts the team. A lot of offensive linement in that recruiting so.
Speaker 2: Many how many twenty something twenty people total about like you know, how twenty seven. How you think we'll actually play the freshman Yeah, five, six, maybe ten, maybe it's pretty ten maybe ten.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. It's a lot. I mean you look at that offensive line and when it's banned up already. Uh too, it wasn't very good last year. He brought in some transfers. So so out of all those freshmen on the offensive line, if somebody stands out, they're gonna play. Yeah. You saw it with Jonas alvin Ale when he stepped foot on campus. Right away. It was like, oh, that guy's a starter. I think his first game AGA in San Diego. Say, he had a little trouble, he got tired out with the heat was very hot that day and he couldn't play the fourth quarter. But after that he was a star Wars there at you know, guard and tackle for Arizona. I never barely missed games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, remember that game is San Diego was really hot. Yeah, okay, so that's good for them. I'm gonna be talking to Brennan here for a story here not too long from now. And he was great when we had him on. You got him on and he was fantastic that day kind of Have you talked to him anymore about your barbecue contest?
Speaker 3: No? Not, Yeah, we got to do that though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to call five two, oho, four one, six, seventy four forty, just give us a quick call.
Speaker 5: That was still one of the funniest interviews to me.
Speaker 3: Which Brendan yeah, because he cussed.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought it was so funny that he was like so caught off guard that he like, yeah, yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, Well that's that's the kind of guy that we want to know, you know, that's the people. That's the guy that people don't know.
Speaker 3: They don't want the button up person that's very straightforward.
Speaker 2: And even if he's buttoned up just to show some signs of not life, but signs of being one of the dudes. And even though he is one of the dudes, because he's not. He's not Macovict, right, and he's not Jed Jed was I don't know, Jenna was selling.
Speaker 3: You stuff that's different on the field than he was in a press conference.
Speaker 2: And Brandon's not that. He's just kind of like okay, yeah, and he wasn't in the interview.
Speaker 3: Most of the time. He feels like a happy, go lucky guy like whatever. Yeah, people want to see more than that. They don't want to see that. They don't want to see the nonchalant, right, and he is different.
Speaker 2: You ask you come on, yeah, show some fire. Yeah, we'll see what happens. I mean, I think he learned a lot this first year, especially here. And I also think that the does party set some standards you have to yeah.
Speaker 3: And no question and again for him, she didn't hire you, right if he hired you, so standards and there's the well, you know, I didn't hire this guys, so why do I care? I want to get my guy in there. Sure, but you know, I think it would have been not easy necessarily financially given areas under his financial situation, But it would have been easy for an athletic director to be like, you know what, by I'll just get my guy. But that speaks volumes on what type of person Brennan is, where you already have somewhat of a good relationship with the direction of just personalness.
Speaker 2: Sure, no, no, No, that there goes. That goes a long way, and we'll see how long it goes. If you go four and eight again.
Speaker 3: Or whatever, then there's a problem. Yeah, I think I think you're looking at five to seven win mark this upcoming.
Speaker 2: They have to at least at least so here we go in about a month, they'll get that going sort of late June.
Speaker 3: And for Noah, let's be honest, and he's been very honest about it. The coaching stuff, has been honest about it. He had that tremendous red shirt freshman year last year. It was bad. It was bad, and not all that was on him. Obviously, the line was bad. Not a lot of weapons outside of Debtoro McMillan and things start to pile up. But throughout the season there are plenty of times where like you missed the wide open guy, or you didn't even see that guy, or you waited too long on that one and that comes back on the quarterback. So you know, new offense that's going to help out, sure, hopefully, but you got to prove this is almost like a proven year for not only Brennan but Noah as well.
Speaker 2: So I think we've we've you and I have talked about this. The gods right back, baseball, football, gods, football guds. That season that brought that jet had. I think sometimes things just work out that way, right, they had a good season. He finally relinquished the job to to Noah or he got the job. Well, you know, whatever we do happen. He had to do it and it turned out to be what it was, and then he leaves. Things just worked out weird sometimes sometimes Troy, you get the girl without you, without you know, without you having to work your ass off to get the girl. You know what I'm saying. Just didn't work out that way. And now a year later, it didn't work out that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, some things go right, recruiting.
Speaker 2: Goes well right, and everything did that year.
Speaker 3: I mean they It wasn't like rich Rod's ten and ten and four season, where you know, you get a bounce here, a lucky play here the hill Mary happened that year. The kick against Washington where they should have just ran out the football and they built the ball and they fumbled the ball. A lot of things went right for Arizona ones. Noah took over and really played. Yeah, they dominated teams, They were dominant. They were a legitimately good team. So things work out. But that was a very good, well rounded team. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and almost in spite of themselves, because again he didn't want to relinquish.
Speaker 3: And if you don't that Arizona teams goes six and six, it doesn't turn out the way it does. Guess who's still the coach? Maybe what?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, But here's my thing, And it could have been a worse situation for Arizona. Remember U c l A opened up late after chip Kelly left. He's a California guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't know if.
Speaker 6: He had already been at u c l A too, But would of coordinator, would you Rey hire.
Speaker 2: Mean, if he was mediocre here, if the situation were different, so you.
Speaker 3: Would have if you would hire a running back coach that has never had coordinating decision like U C l A. They made they made mistakes. Well and I know it's an alumni, but I'm just saying, if Jed was still at Arizona chip Ley's when he does, let's say they hired Jed, you're probably getting off of you know, you're probably getting You're getting all those kids because they're Southern California kids.
Speaker 2: Well again, timing in circumstances, if you and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But like that's why this place.
Speaker 2: Uh, we've found lightning in the bottle for a nice year and here we are. Yeah, and then didn't the next year. Sometimes the god says, here you go. Oh, by the way, you got to give it back to me, give me the keys the car I just gave him to You only had it for a while, right, you gotta go uber again, use somebody else's car.
Speaker 3: Don't have been sure. Okay, we're good most about a minute or so. Yeah, we're pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, thanks, I'll see you Thursday, see you next next week. We'll see we might have a football player, trying to get a fall player.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been trying to get Desiree. I've been trying to get to the basketball coach coach Burke too, So we'll see what happens with that. It's such a dying time right now in the summer. Everyone's out doing their thing and everybody and coaches are on vacation. This is their vacation time.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: That's why I'm gonna leave for a week. Okay, guys, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: We'll see you.
Speaker 2: Thanks for calling, guys, Vic and everybody else appreciate you.