Speaker 1: Forged m lock ready and I try to bolt Carrier group. The Ruger Harrier is completely re engineered for today's shooter. Innovation without compromise comes standard with the Harrier.
Speaker 2: Upgrade your optic with Hollisen, where innovation meets precision. With fifty thousand hours of battery life, shake awake technology and a solar failsafe, your optic is always ready when you are holosen. Confidence in every shot.
Speaker 3: He was the first and he's still the best. For thirty years, Tom Gresham has been your trusted source on all things ballistic, new guns, Second Amendment, personal protection. Be part of it, Paul, Tom Talk Gun. Now here's Tom.
Speaker 4: All right, welcome again to gun Talk.
Speaker 5: We're gonna talk about a lot of things today and you can be a part of that. All you have to do is give me a call it Tom Talk Gun. We got a lot of news going on. I'm telling you, We've got things coming out of the government where.
Speaker 4: They're going to say, all right, you can apply.
Speaker 5: Finally, if you have a felony record, nonviolent felony record, you did your time, whatever it was, you can apply to get your gun rights back. Thank goodness, we've been working on that for thirty years or so. It's an amazing thing. We also, of course have the new thing where not only do you not have to pay the tax on your suppressor, but now you don't have to file.
Speaker 4: The Form four Form one all.
Speaker 5: The rest of it. You can make your own. You can buy a suppressor, but with restrictions. We've got to go into the details on that. A lot of other things going on we'll be talking about. And of course if you have a new gun or an old gun you aren't talked about, give me a call. We'll talk about that as well.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 5: And you know that we have classes down at Range Ready Studios. A lot of people have been down there and it's a When you say it's a unique place, everybody goes, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a shooting range. Well, yeah it is.
Speaker 4: But it's more than that.
Speaker 5: Joining me right now because he is going to be one of the instructors of one of the coolest classes.
Speaker 4: We've ever had there, Travis Gibson joint us right now.
Speaker 6: How you doing, partner, I'm doing good, Tom, Thanks so much for having me back.
Speaker 5: All right, So you you have been down to the place down in Louisiana, Range right and Yeah, you've been to ranges literally all over the country pro probably around the world, and you're a professor shooter.
Speaker 4: You've been doing this forever. But this is a different place, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it very much is.
Speaker 6: It's got a it's got a lot of cool features, a lot of stuff that you know, other other facilities don't have, with with you know, Ryan doing the show down there, the you know, the television show, and being able to go and film here and then go outside and shoot stuff, and yeah, it's it's it's a it.
Speaker 7: Really is a great unique facility.
Speaker 4: And you also eat pretty well on these classes there.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I make sure and gone a diet about ten days before I head out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we feed the students really well. All right, So we got this class coming up and I'm looking, this is the coolest thing, all right. We got Colt so it's an ar class and they got the M five rifle, their new M five gonna I'm going to shoot those for two days. And it's you and your son, Wyatt. This is like the coolest thing ever.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a it's well, as you well know, getting to getting to do cool stuff with guns with your kids is always a good time, and and uh yeah, we uh, Colt's been or I'm sorry why it's been shooting with Colt for I don't even know how many years now. It's it's been a little while, but I've been coming and helping with a couple of classes and stuff like that, and so uh on this one's you know, kind of the you know why, and I will be teaching the rifle stuff.
Speaker 7: And just kind of going, uh, you know, I mean it's.
Speaker 6: I'm not going to say it's a it's a you know, an entry level class, but I mean it's it's kind of get you going on the basics, but there's portions of it.
Speaker 7: That kind of get off onto the you know, into the deep end. We're going to be doing some higher level stuff there. So it's, uh, we're looking forward to it.
Speaker 5: We should probably explain that, you know why, it is actually third generation the same way that Ryan is my son, because your dad is a shooter obviously. Okay, go ahead and tell about.
Speaker 6: Your op Okay, So, so my dad's my dad's Mike Gibson, and he started MGM Targets in nineteen ninety two, when when you know his background is in structural steel fabrication and just my my my uncle is actually the one that introduced my dad into competitive shooting. And my dad, my dad started figuring this out, and of course he goes to the range and just being the you know, the kind of guy that is, he's looking at targets trying to figure out way to make him better, make him last longer, make them more durable, all that sort of stuff. And then when he figured out you could write off the guns and amma was a business expense, it was all downhill from there.
Speaker 5: So you guys makes up the very best steel targets in the business man.
Speaker 7: Well, well thanks Tom. Yeah, it's uh, we've been doing it for a little while. And I can't even remember.
Speaker 6: I was talking with somebody the other day and literally it was last weekend. I was shooting the Idaho State Handgun Championships over in eastern Idaho, and I'm still going out looking at targets, like.
Speaker 7: Can we do this, can we do that? What what can we do to? You know?
Speaker 6: And it was our time and I'm still looking at him trying to figure out if there's any way we can make them better.
Speaker 5: Well, you looking at your targets at a range at a match and say, yeah, but I think there's a way we can do something a little better here.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know, me just always always trying to, you know, be innovative and look at stuff and yeah, make make changes if we need to, always moving forward. And the thing that made me happy was I couldn't figure out any way to make it better.
Speaker 7: So it's still still doing a good job.
Speaker 4: All right. So when did you shoot your first competitive match?
Speaker 6: I shot my first match, and I'm trying to say it was like December of two thousand and five.
Speaker 5: I think, man, you've been doing this in a while, and of course you know you are a top level. I mean at these matches, it's like, yeah, we know Travis is going to be right there at the very top, you know, any given time. But taking that and then looking at Wyatt, that guy is like a superhuman shooter.
Speaker 6: Yeah he's And the thing of it is, you know, and now with that being said, like like the kid's been shooting with me since he was six, literally was how old do you know when he went and shot his first match. So he's been shooting almost as long as I have. And he doesn't have bad.
Speaker 7: Knees and bad eyes. You know, and so he's getting around really good.
Speaker 6: You know, put a lot of put a lot of effort in the beginning, so he's yeah, he's doing a great job, all right.
Speaker 5: So one of the things that's so cool about this class to do it range right now. People can go to range ready studios dot com, sign up, you take the class, You get two days a really good shoot. You can walk in knowing just a little bit about RS and come away knowing a lot about RS.
Speaker 4: But not only do you get the training, the AMO.
Speaker 5: Is provided, the accessories are provided, the rifle is provided, the optic is provided. Oh yeah, at the end of the day, you get to keep the rifle and you get to keep the optic, and you get to keep all the other stuff that you were using. I mean, you just simply get everything and the instruction. It's spectacular.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this is This will be the second one of these that I've been involved with with Cold and the first ones was with the pistols. So we did a nineteen eleven nine mil with the Vortex red dot on it and kind of did the same thing and Release and Justine with Colt were right down there helping Wyatt. So it's uh, yeah, it was, like I said.
Speaker 7: Holsters Magazines, Ammo, you know, the whole nine yards. It was.
Speaker 6: It was a great event, and I'm really looking forward to this one as well.
Speaker 5: One of the things I think about that people don't quite understand maybe is the whole idea of the low powered variable optic the lpv O. Uh. This one, we're going to be using the Voodoo X from EO techts a one to six, and I know that everybody wants high magnification because they're shooting long range, but with a one to six you could do a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: Talk about that.
Speaker 6: When I first started shooting, like I remember Loo pulled out a c QT one to three and like that was the rage, like, oh man, you got they've got this new thing that's coming out.
Speaker 7: And then they started getting up and they couldn't find her true one power. They went from one.
Speaker 6: And a half to five was kind of the next new hotness, and now they're getting you know, if you're one to six is you know, like that's just you know, everybody's.
Speaker 7: Kind of got those.
Speaker 6: And so what what folks has started doing is started starting to really work on the glass, making sure it's got.
Speaker 7: A good site picture Uh.
Speaker 6: And the other thing is good radicals, right, making sure that you've got to so when you're on six power and most of these, most of these are the you know, the I.
Speaker 7: Was get these two mixed up.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure it's second focal plane to where the the the radical changes size with the uh, with the power of magnification power. But yeah, making sure that those things lined up and you know, and they fit. Uh, you know, a good range of ballistics on the your ammo something like that.
Speaker 5: That may be first vocal plane. But I always have to look it up. I get them confused too, So there.
Speaker 7: You very well could be right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like like I said, I gotta I got to look it up as well. But yeah, just having those things, you know, having good radicals in them to where you know, engaging you know, honestly, like twelve inch plates out to five or six hundred yards is not a big deal with a six power scope with a six power scope undred percent.
Speaker 4: So why would somebody want one power scope.
Speaker 6: For the low power end of the end of the spectrum, right for just you know, doing close stuff. Uh. That's the other thing that a lot of these companies are doing. I'm pretty sure I haven't got to play with this this eotech.
Speaker 7: That we're going to be using a lot. But what a lot of.
Speaker 6: These companies are doing is they're putting a nice red dot inside there. So you put this thing on one power and you're running it like a true red dot site or so for close close target engagement and those sorts of things. You're running at two eyes open and just you know, being able to burn stuff down.
Speaker 4: It is fast.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yep, super fast. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The field of view on these guys is huge, and like I said, with that red dot in there, yeah, you can you can really get after it.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm just thinking that uh an ar with like a one to six would be I think probably the perfect setup for a defensive gun.
Speaker 6: Yeap, it really is, you know, And that's I don't want to get too far off into the weeds, but where you live, you know, and and you know, making that choice and those sorts of things.
Speaker 7: But that's that's what.
Speaker 6: That's what I've got on most of my guns is is a one to something, you know, one to six or you know.
Speaker 5: One, Yeah, but that one gives you both eyes open, fat actually faster than iron sights. It's just amazing and with an illuminated radical and this one does have them radical. You're right, it is like a red dot, but with a lot more options.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 6: Yeah for defense guy, you know, an n AR with a with a one to six with you know that has the red dot inside of it, a light and a sling. Like you're that's pretty set up. That's pretty good to go right there.
Speaker 4: You mentioned sling.
Speaker 5: Everybody gets a sling with this one too, and I think some people, if are just brand new to it, they don't understand the use of a sling or how necessary a sling is on a defensive ar.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it most certainly is, and it's and it's something you know.
Speaker 6: Obviously I didn't understand it either, and I went to a class down in Texas with the It was actually a law enforcement class that I was fortunate enough to be able to partake in, even though it wasn't law enforcement, put on by a guy named Benny Cooley, who is arguably one of the best all around riflemen in the world. I mean, just you know, dude's been doing it forever. But I went down there and took a took a two days worth of class with him with the sling, and you're like, holy smokes, Like I can't believe you can pick up an r and not have one of the it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you go, you go back home. You put a sling on all of them, don't you.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: That pretty much? Yep, pretty much, yep. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: Have you had a chance to shoot the Colt five?
Speaker 7: I haven't. It's gonna be my first day.
Speaker 4: Too, Okay, this They're gonna be fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 6: I've seen it so when we're down there doing the when we're down there doing the the nineteen eleven class with Cold and I got to see it, but I didn't actually get.
Speaker 7: To shoot it. So okay, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 4: Good ude, Well you get to shoot with this cold professional shooter, you know, that's.
Speaker 7: What I heard. I'm looking forward to that too.
Speaker 5: Interested it's you go to Rangebady Studios dot Com. I know they have a couple of slots left, but this thing is going to sell out. I mean, and I think it was twenty five hundred bucks. You get the two days instruction, you get all them, you get the rifle, you get the scope, you get all the accessories. Oh yeah, and you get a really good couple of days of lunches too.
Speaker 7: Okay, I was gonna say, don't leave out the lunches. That's that's one of the really good parts. You know.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 5: People think we're joking, but people do come away going, man, I just can't believe how.
Speaker 4: They fed us. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's not normal range food, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: It is. It is not.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: I know you're gonna have a good time down there.
Speaker 5: Anybody that could signed up, if they can get in, they're gonna have a great time too.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 4: You know, by the way, uh, you just moved back to Idaho, So welcome back home.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much. I'm super excited to be here.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get together do some shooting now.
Speaker 7: Yep. I like it.
Speaker 5: Good deal, Travis Skipson, thank you so much. All right, don't go far. Gun talk will be right back.
Speaker 8: Lighten your load without sacrificing performance. Meet the new gem Tech Neutrino Suppressor. A full featured thirty cal suppressor weighing just eight point eight ounces. Built around a fully three D printed Grade five titanium core, it delivers outstanding sound suppression strength and heat dissipation from six to five creed more to three hundred win back. The Neutrino is engineered for serious hunters who demand lightweight performance. The gem Tech Neutrino built to go farther, shoot quieter, and perform when it matters most.
Speaker 9: Black Hills AMO is now loading a three hundred PRC round with a high VC hornity two twenty five grain ELD Match projectile. The three hundred PRC design eliminated the unnecessary belt of the three hundred Winchester magnum and increased the body diameter. The result is increased powder capacity and a nearly one hundred and fifty feet per second velocity increase to twenty eight hundred fps. The three hundred PRC two twenty five ELD Match provides superior capability on distant targets. Black Hills ammunition the power of performance.
Speaker 10: Let's face it, you're tired of watching the same shows or searching for twenty minutes looking for something to watch. Shooting sports Life is a free live network broadcasting shooting content. It's always on and always free watch on your TV, phone or online. Visit Shooting SportsLife dot com for a list of our free streaming partners in just minutes, you'll be watching exclusive firearms programming anytime you want. Shooting sports life where freedom is a lifestyle.
Speaker 11: Whether it's for self defense or everyday carry a quality Surefire light can be a lifesaver. Surefire builds the most rugged, handheld and weapon mountain lights on the planet, manufactured right here in the USA to give you the upper hand when it counts most. Don't settle for good enough when your life is on the line.
Speaker 4: Go with the proven performer, Go Surefire.
Speaker 11: Find your setup at surefire dot com.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and fifty years of American liberty, Ruger is honoring that milestone with firearms worthy of the moment. The two hundred and fiftieth Anniversary series distinctly marked with made in the two hundred and fiftieth year of American Liberty. Each limited production model echoes Ruger's legendary nineteen seventy six bi centennial line while celebrating the freedoms the Second Amendment has safeguarded for generations, from the iconic ten twenty two to the LCP Max, the Super Wrangler to the American Rifle Jen two. These aren't just guns.
Speaker 5: All right, Let's talk about guns. I'm Tom Gresham. This is Gun Talk. We're gonna have some fun now. I got a lot of time available right now. I've got a big segment of the show available right now for you to call in and we can talk about, well, whatever you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: To give me a call. The phone number is very easy to remember.
Speaker 7: Tom.
Speaker 4: That's me, Tom Talk Gun. That's it.
Speaker 5: Just call Tom Talk Gun. If we're all the numbers, eight sixty six, eight two five, five four eighty six.
Speaker 4: Who cares? Tom Talk Gun. There you go.
Speaker 5: And honestly, it doesn't really matter what the subject matter is. I can't hold a thought anyway, so I don't even know what we were talking about before. So don't worry about continuity.
Speaker 4: I never have.
Speaker 5: So if you know there's a gun you want to talk about, or questions that you have for me, if you think about starting to carry a gun, it's a complex subject and a lot of people want to make it simple, and generally people who want to make it simple don't know much about it. Kind of goes to that whole topic we talk about regularly, which is choose your sources of information carefully. It's a lot of nonsense out there, and unfortunately, if you don't know the difference. Some of the people spouting nonsense really sound and look like they know what they're doing. They're all tacticaled up, got all their cool gear, they got all these cool moves, and they talk with big, deep voices. But they may not know what they're doing. So just be careful. Che's wisely. I have been vacillating thinking about for I don't know why. For some reason, I was looking at three eighties three eighty pistols. If you know, you know, but the three eighty cartridge is essentially a shorter, weaker nine milimeter cartridge shoots a nine milimeter bullet. In fact, in Germany the three eighties called the nine milimeter curse, which is I mean short, It's a nine milimeters short. There was a time when you wouldn't have thought of carrying a three eighty for self defense. But that's back when we were all shooting full metal jacket bullets. Now we have really good AMMO and really good bullets, and there are a lot of good three eighties out there. I think Caltech and Ruger broke through with their little bitty, teeny tiny pistols in three eighty. I don't know anybody, honestly who's series about self defense, who really is into this, who doesn't own a Ruger LCP or the Celtech version, may not carry it much anymore, but probably did, but you know it is the s ken Jorkinson said, it's the gun you carry when you can carry a gun, and that's a really good description of it. There are some slightly larger versions available now, and it's kind of a cool sweet spot, and I would call them it's a microcompact, but not as super small as the LCP, something like the Smith and Western Bodyguard two point zero, and there are versions from Ruger and others. There are some really nice advantages to the three eighty, particularly for people who have trouble working the slide of a nine milimeter with a recoil spring is just too strong. I can't you know, we could go into the technique and all, but yeah, I look there people who just don't have the strength ours right as to whatever. Almost anybody can work the slide on a three eighty, not the super small ones, understand, because as you get smaller and smaller, the spring recoil spring has to get smaller and smaller, shorter, but it still has to have the power to handle the recoil, and so it is harder to work the slide. As your three eighty pistol gets larger, the slide becomes easier to work. A totally full size three eighty is an amazing thing, really no effort at all. But these mid sized microcompacts whatever you want to call them, like the Bodyguard two point zero, very easy to work, the slide on them, very shootable, not much recoil and there. This new generation is really crazy accurate. I enjoy shooting The Bodyguard all the way back to and it's been around a long time now. The SIGs got their own version, the nine thirty eight. That's the nine million ear they are I think it's two thirty eight three eighty and it looks like a little shrunk nineteen eleven and they shoot really well. They're kind of small and honestly harder to shoot because they're so As you get to smaller guns, really really smaller guns, they simply become more difficult to shoot well. Speaking of shooting, well, later on in the show, we're gonna have a world champion, National champion, world champion shooter who's won practically everything there is to win. In pistol shooting, and just because we like to drive people crazy. One of the things he talks about is quit thinking about amy. You spend too much effort worrying about amy. If you stop thinking about aiming, you could hit targets better. It's true. I have demonstrated it on the range many, many times. But we'll let him cover that.
Speaker 4: It's fun.
Speaker 5: One of the questions I ask, and it's rhetorical and maybe not, it's why do you miss?
Speaker 4: Targets?
Speaker 5: Aren't moving? Generally? Paper target's just there when you aim at the target. Are the sites going all over the place? Are they like off the target? Are they off the paper? Or are they putting up the sky pourting down to the ground? What's going on here? People want to shoot better, but I'm not sure everybody, No, I am sure. I'm sure that most people don't really work on how do I get better? Why am I missing? Which is the sense your question? Why did I not shoot better?
Speaker 4: We can?
Speaker 5: The guns are amazingly good these days. If you put the gun in a vice, it's going to put all the shots pretty close.
Speaker 4: To one hole. So what's going on? I don't know. We'll talk about that.
Speaker 5: If you have a comment or question or a thought on that, or if you figured it out, I'd love to know how you got better.
Speaker 4: Oh so I got a question for you.
Speaker 5: Know those things as magnets where you stick your gun onto the dash under the dash of your car, and you got your pistol. It's backed onto the car or onto the console. You take it a yourholes should put it in there. Somebody's gonna have to call it. Explain that to me. I am not understanding it, and I'm sure I'm missing something. But if you do it and you have one, let me know. Number here is Tom Talk Gun. I'm curious and i am ready to be educated. I'm Tom Gresham. This is gun Talking.
Speaker 4: Oh what have you been shooting?
Speaker 5: Let me know. Give me a call right now. Call me at tom Talk Gun. I'm Tom Gresham. This is gun Talk. You can check us out over on the web, of course. We are gun talk dot Com. We're on Facebook is gun talk Media. Over on YouTube you can find us. I'm on x where you can find me. I am at gun talk over there. I had an interesting post from somebody I guess was yesterday. He says, Yeah, you got an interesting take. You tell people they shouldn't have training and shouldn't take classes because you encourage them to spend all their money on new guns. So I did not quite know how to respond to that, so I said, where you got me? You got me on that one. Yep, I've never told anybody they ought to go and get training. I'll try to do better. I mean, what do you do right again? Eight six six? Talk gun gets you in here? Let's see Rodney called that out of Texas online one. Hey, Rodi, thanks for calling down. Work on your mind, Thank you.
Speaker 12: Tom So, I'm reloading some forty five acp pistols and pistol cartridges, and I've noticed that the hornity brass doesn't seem to want to take either the large pistol prommer nor the small pistol promer. Most of them take more than the others, such as Federal Fredwell takes the smaller ones and other ones take the larger ones. But this one just there's something just a little bit off on this brass. And I'm wondering, is can you elaborate on that or why is that?
Speaker 5: I have not experienced that. I'm just wondering. So clearly you are an experienced reloader. So you understand that some are coming with small private pockets the summer are coming with large, but in this case you can't get either want of them to work. What happens when you're trying to get in.
Speaker 12: I can try to force some of them in, but sometimes you'll bend the primer and you know it just or it'll go in. It just doesn't go in right now. So what I've been doing is just I've just been chunking the hornity brass, which I don't want to do. I know it's a good quality brass, but I'm just wondering did horn Hornby make a little bit different kind of primer or something that they put them in? So I thought i'd ask you you.
Speaker 5: Are you familiar with well, basically cleaning up a private pocket. You can have a little tools that were put in there and scrape them and clean them up, get them to the universe uniform size. I'm just wondering if either they're suaging the primer pockets, uh some kind of a crimp in there, or if you can uniform them with a private pocket uniformer and that would work.
Speaker 12: I haven't tried that. I would just usually just after I clean them, you know clean my brass. I usually prime I wipe them out with a Q tip, but I haven't tried a primer tool, so you.
Speaker 5: Know, I mean the obvious thing would it would be just to give them a call, call Horny and say, hey, this is what's going on. Is there something I need to know about your primer pockets?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'll try that.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 12: Thank you so much Ryan for my question.
Speaker 4: Do you bet?
Speaker 5: I'm not sure I helped it all, but at least it gives you a couple of places to head out. I appreciate the call, sir. Let's go grab Joe out of New Jersey. Hello, Joe, you're on gun talking what you ben shooting?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 13: Tom, I got a range report for you about a new target and a new drill. I don't know if you saw it. I sent you an email. It's quite the easy to see it says E letter E, the letter Z, the number two and the number ce. Easy and what it is on the target. They've got eight geometric shapes, each one about the size of a coffee saucer. They've got two squares, two circles, two triangles, and two octagons, and each pair which are randomly scattered. You know, one one square might be red and the other might be yellow. One circle might be green, the other one might be blank. And in each one there's a number, and the numbers are no particular order, but they're all different. So what we do now is one of us stands behind the shooter and we'll call out green circle number seven, and they have to go find those two targets. They have to go bang bang, and then we call out the next pair, bang bang, and it's you know, so it's a quick target recognition quick fire, so much more interesting and challenging and just shooting at the little red bulls eye in the center of the target.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And look we've been doing that for thirty or forty years, making up our own targets, are getting targets from different people, and have somebody call out, you know, odd numbers are you know, I just say seven and three whatever. So rather than just quickly jumping up with the gun and shooting the target, you have to find the target, identify it before you shoot it.
Speaker 4: I think that's really good training.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and it's really I don't know, if you check your email, you'll see a picture Tom. But again it's a fairly large target. And again there's eight. There's four in each column, but no two geometric shapes have the same color, you know. So you might have two triangles, but one triangle might be green and the other triangle it might be yellow. Circle. I'm sorry, you can't game it.
Speaker 4: You got you got to actually listen to the instruction and find.
Speaker 13: The right target right, and the numbers are not If the numbers are one through eight, but they're not in any sequence. They're not one, two, three, four. You know, the number eight might be an upper left hand corner. Number three might be the second one down on the right. So if I shout out, you know, green circle number four, you've got to find the green first, find the number circle the green green. By the way, the number four might be in the green circle. So if I if I yet a green circle, number three, and then number three, it's going to take you a second to realize that number three is also the green circle. You have to shoot the green circle twice.
Speaker 4: So what do you feel like you're getting out of that target, Well.
Speaker 13: It's it's it's a target recognition and then quick you know, it's quick shifting.
Speaker 14: Again.
Speaker 13: When when we're shooting red bull's eyes, we used to stand there for five or six seconds, you know, steady the gun, you know, hould control of our breathing and squeeze off. The shot gets boring pretty quick. So this is more real life quick target identification. It's more it's more of a real life Hey, you've got to you've got to identify the target, make sure it's the right target, and you got to shoot quickly, and you got to shoot accurately, which is much more realistic than our typical red you know, shoot at the red dot in the middle of the target.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I love it.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 5: Look, thank you for the call, and thank you for bringing that up. I appreciate that. That's as I say, it's something we've been doing for many, many years. But there's a commercial target available and anybody can do that. You can put up your own targets and have somebody call them out. That leads me to a topic, and I'm normal, don't go anywhere. I'm gonna get you in just a second. Here the idea that And yes, I understand the drawing and shooting fast is a skill, and it's a good skill to have. It's good weapon manipulation skill. But in defensive situations, Drawing and shooting fast may not be the solution. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to know how to do, but it may not be called for. What often is called for is looking and understanding what's going on, trying to figure out, you know, okay, where's the bad guy? How many bad guys are there? Is there more than one? Are there new people arriving on the scene if they already have a gun out. I can't get into a fast draw contest with somebody whos already got a gun out. So now it becomes a matter of timing. Is there a way to have you ever practiced drawing from stealth? You're sitting down and you're going to try to get your gun out, so you have it in your hand, but nobody sees that you're drawing. That is not an easy thing to do. You need to practice that. And this kind of goes along with that, which is taking enough time to find the right target, identify the right target, and then shoot the right target, as opposed to just drags you fast, because that, as I say, that.
Speaker 4: May be necessary.
Speaker 5: And you know, in the old Gunslinger movies it was whoever could draw fast and youoo fast would win. Not realistic in a lot of situations. Just food for thought. Love to get your take on that. All right, let's go pick up Noran on five out of Grant's Pass or no, let's talk three eighties.
Speaker 14: I have gone through a number of concealed carries, trying different things for different scenarios and particularly when I'm in the dress, you know, clothing, church or outings. I've gone to the Taurus. I've been through the Burretta that I've been through the even the Bursa thunder. And recently I was gifted older custom or cult Mustang pocket light. It's in a little nineteen eleven format, and I'll tell you what I really enjoy it. It is much It's kind of that middle size to where I can hang on to it well and still stay on target at you know, twenty feet thirty feet, I can still put it on plate. And it's a good conceive for dress clothing.
Speaker 5: And they're small. This is a small pistol. I've shot those. They shoot really well.
Speaker 14: I was I was immensely surprised at how easily it was to control it. And you know, I'm still getting used to it practicing with it. But by default. Now if I'm in dress clothing, it's my default to go to for a really nice kind of medium subcompact. I guess you'd still call it, but I mean a little shoulder holster or in the waistband dress clothing, a little vest on. You can't see it.
Speaker 5: You could even put that in like a little pocket holster and slide into a front past pocket.
Speaker 4: It would just disappear in there.
Speaker 14: Absolutely absolutely done that as well for a quick grab, you know, going into the big stores, and while it's in my duffel.
Speaker 4: You know, I was thinking about this.
Speaker 5: I think one of the reasons that that pistol shoots so well is because even though it's a small gun, it's got short sight radius and it's lightweight.
Speaker 4: Is it has such a good trigger.
Speaker 5: It's nineteen eleven, and so you're not disturbing the sites as much when you pull the trigger on that.
Speaker 14: What do you think, well, I would agree. I learned a lot of my pistol shooting on you know, forty five nineteen eleven and going to the other ones, you know, I learned to control them. But as soon as I put that nineteen you know, that Compact nineteen eleven in my hand. I went, no, this is this is this is what my hand likes, and my eyes.
Speaker 4: I've already been trained on it, right, right, it is interesting.
Speaker 5: Well that that's a really good recommendation. The other part of that solution or that package, is to make sure you're using good modern three eighty m On, we've got some really good defensive end of these days.
Speaker 4: What do you know, what are you carrying these days?
Speaker 14: Well, I load most all of my own, But when I am during that carry, I do the buyout and I do the hornity hollow points. I forget what their reference is for it, but I very specifically buy you know, a good quality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good, that's good round, good carry, good good, good call.
Speaker 5: And you know, obviously you just make sure they run through your gun. Great call, Mormon, thank you for calling in.
Speaker 4: I love that take.
Speaker 5: I think that cult pocket Light or the Colt Pony, the Little Miniature nineteen eleven and three eighty is certainly viable. SIGG has kind of the same thing in the nine thirty eight. And then you've got a lot of these other ones. Let's just say the exemplified by the Smith and Western Bodyguard two point zero. Rugers got theirs. Others have the same ones. And the triggers on all these guns, even the striker fired guns, they've gotten so good. And I mean, I hate to say it, hate to have these words come out of my mouth, but honestly, the triggers on these guns are rivaling a nineteen eleven trigger these days.
Speaker 4: And why is that.
Speaker 5: Well, it's because we demand it. It's because we won't put up with bad triggers anymore. People are starting to figure out what good triggers are. And the more you shoot, the more you go, Huh, that's a crummy trigger. It's creepy, it's cruddy. It feels like somebody poor grit inside my gun. It's a long trigger pull, it's got three places it stops before it actually gets to the wall, and it actually goes off. I get shoot that when no one can shoot that. So people are demanding better triggers.
Speaker 4: I think said that.
Speaker 5: If you're pulling the trigger slowly and feeling all of that, you're kind of setting yourself up to shoot badly, as opposed to just pull the trigger, get on target and pull the trigger and I yank it, not jerk it, but just pull it and don't quite creep creep, creep creep, trying to find the perfect place before it goes off. Now, get the sites up on target, and don't worry all that much about where the sites are. They're gonna take care of themselves. Honestly, they really will. Your sites do not wobble off of the bullseye guarantee you. When you're aiming in and you're trying to make it just perfect, we're worried about perfect. Pull the trigger and pull it again, and pull it fast. Get the sights up where they're supposed to go. Try to press the trigger without disturbing the alignment of the sites. All right, let's go grab Zachary online one out of Arlington, Texas. Hey Zachary, thank you for calling in. What's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hi?
Speaker 15: Tom, I'm calling about because I'm a new renter.
Speaker 16: I'm calling about tips.
Speaker 15: And tricks, things putting perspective leading up to the moment the guy breaks down the door. If I'm having a home intruder, Okay, what's your question. So theoretical scenario, guys at the door bing and I know he's going to get in.
Speaker 14: I already have my gun.
Speaker 15: I know that I have to shoot him, but what are some things I can do. Let's say week stays in advance. Just prepare for that kind of scenario that I can do as a new renter.
Speaker 5: Okay, first of all, go get a take a class somewhere. Seriously, take a class. It's the most important thing you can do. I don't care if it's a CLKA class or just a good class on defensive shooting. You will learn things there. Whe you're going to slap your head, go wow, I never thought of that. It'll happen over and over again. That is the most important thing you can do. I'm serious having said that, have a plan, know what you're gonna do. And this is where the classes come in. You can't shoot him before they break in the door, but you can get behind cover, whether it's behind a bed somewhere. And frankly, I wouldn't be standing in the living room. I'd go get behind a bed and be on the phone, call a nine one one. I'd make them come into my bedroom, you know what. And then they're coming through the door. You know what they call the door. They call it the fatal funnel because when he comes in there, you know exactly where he is, you know exactly what to do. And he's already broken into your house, so it's completely justifiable. The other thing you need, really need is a good powerful flashlight, and you need to know how to shoot while you're holding a flashlight.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 5: That goes back to getting some training and going to a class. And so please, please please don't think just because you have a gun that you have a solution. It is the tool, but it's not the software, it's not the knowledgy you need. And this is complicated. This stuff is not easy. And everything you know about guns that you've learned from the movies and from TV is wrong and some of them could get you hurt, and a lot of it will get you put in prison because you screwed things up. That's where a class is, whether it's a concealed carry class or a defensive class.
Speaker 4: It's worth the money, all right.
Speaker 5: So earlier I asked the question to needed somebody to explain to me this whole thing. I've using magnets or something to hold your gun to the underside of the dash of your car or to your console. Rusty's got a thought on that. He's called in from Straightford. Hey, Rusty, fill me in. What do you think of a long time listener.
Speaker 16: I think term of radio and heard talking about the magnets.
Speaker 12: I use them a lot.
Speaker 16: I've got them in allful vehicles. So I stepped in, I pulled it out of my belt, put on the magnet between my knees, and somebody walks up. You can have in your hand before they even know you moved.
Speaker 4: Even in my.
Speaker 16: House, I've got a full bait marble table down under each corner, the gun under each corner. I'm sitting there eating breakfast.
Speaker 14: I got a gun and reach you. No, So I love them.
Speaker 5: So you when you get in your car, you have to take a gun out of your holster and put it on the magnet. And then when you get back out of the car, you got to take it out of there and put it back in the holster.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 16: But the only thing is, you know, if you're setting in your car and you got a gun in your belt, it sometime might.
Speaker 7: Be hard to reach for me.
Speaker 13: And so I just stick it right there with the six inches.
Speaker 16: You know, you ride down the road one hand on your leg and you're not six inches from your gun. You know, without making any movement, you're loaded.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, I just look at that and think, man, that's a lot of gun handling back and forth. And I guess maybe I have practiced enough to know I know how to draw. Of course, I carry a gun at the three o'clock position, and I know how to get back there and draw my gun and get it back out if I need it, and clearly if I see somebody coming, if I think I'm gonna need it, I'm gonna get it out and have it in my hand.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 5: The other thing I think about, let me ask you about this. If something happened and I got to bail out of that car in a hurry. We've had a wreck, something's going on.
Speaker 4: I got to go.
Speaker 5: I don't want to have to find the gun or worry about where it is. I know it's on my side if I have to get out in a hurry.
Speaker 13: Thoughts, Well, I carry my gun.
Speaker 16: I'm left handed. Uh, so I can carry my gun on my left side and puts my arm against the door of the vehicle, which gives me limited mobility. So yeah, and uh, I'm not sitting there with one leg my left hand on my leg all the time you want. When I'm driving, I'm not six inches from the gun. I can reach and grab it, not even move my shoulder. They don't even know if he made to move. That's what I like about him.
Speaker 14: Anyway.
Speaker 5: I did not even think about the left handed aspect of it. And yeah, you're right, your your arm is jammed up against the door and you don't have as much.
Speaker 4: Room, right huh.
Speaker 5: All right, Well think that's why I was asked. I said, all right, somebody explained this to me, and you have brought up a part of it. I just didn't think at all. And so Russie, thank you. I appreciate that. Okay, all right, we've got to give us some credit and some leeway on that one.
Speaker 4: It's not something I want to do.
Speaker 5: I'm not quite there, but I can see where he's coming from there. Okay, interesting, very good, Thank you, rush you. I appreciate the call. I may have been a little quick with our caller who has asked about a renter being a renter in the apartment. And one of the things I wanted to say is he said, well, you know, if a guy's kicking on the door, breaking the door, I know I'm gonna have to shoot him.
Speaker 7: Well maybe not.
Speaker 5: Let's back up. This is where the training comes in. If you start out thinking, I know I got to shoot this guy, then that's what you're gonna do. But if you say, okay, I have other tools in my toolbox that I can use, and it may be with that powerful flashlight and ask somebody skick it on the door, you can yell I have a gun. I have called the police. If you men here, I will shoot you. That's not a bad command. It's particularly a really good command if you're already on the phone with nine Poet one because they're recording the call. If you call them, told her what your address is. There's a guy kicking in the door, I need police now, and you stay on the phone and then they hear you saying don't come in.
Speaker 4: I have a gun.
Speaker 5: If you come in here, I'm gonna shoot you. I've already called the police. That's not a bad thing to have in the recording. So but starting off with the idea that well, if he comes to my house and kick to the door, I'm going to shoot him, or I want to try to avoid that at all possible, And if I can get him to stop by yelling at him, man, I'm all about that. That's a good day. Any day you don't have to shoot somebody. It's a good day, all right, So why do you miss. We're going to fill in the blanks for you.
Speaker 4: We're we come back.
Speaker 5: We're going to talk to an expert instructor who will tell you stop, ain't