Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to That's not Matt. We're all weekly rocking heavy music podcast and welcome here this Friday to another edition of Hyperblast, where we are with you every Friday, and we are letting you know what has been going on for the last seven days or so in the world of riffs and just plain old rocking out. Really, we are going to let you know the news stories that you're going to want to hear about our takes on them. We're going to give you the releases of the week as well, and a little bit later into this show, I'm also going to be talking about my adventures over the weekend where I went down to London for Incineration Festival, one of the big staple event in the calendar if you are into extreme and blast beats and the like. So that is what's on today's agenda. My name is Paren haysh across from me a real motley crew today. Hopefully you know more more I llegally abiding than that lot. Sam Dignon and Mark Sanderson, Hello, how are we doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All good.
Speaker 3: I haven't been to you know first, but I did see Sin against Sin last week.
Speaker 4: That was a fun, scary, hardcore gig where we were dodging blows to the head and people were getting knocked out in the second support band.
Speaker 1: Oh good time, very very good.
Speaker 2: OHI captain, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yes, very very good. Let us we'll get to you know, all the live music antics and all that a little bit later on in the show, but first of all, we're just going to kick it out with the news first of all, and topping us off on this this new story, we are going to talk about some new records that have been announced. I for you new tracks. First of all, I've definitely got the you know, the right crew here for it. There is the news that there is a new Cancer Bats album coming later this year. It's called Give Me Dirt. Which that's really what the Cancer Bats have been doing for the last like twenty years at this stage, right, They've given us a whole lot of dirt. It's coming out on August the seventh on Marshall Records, and there's a new track from it out as well, called Stay Stuck. It's their first album in four years Psychic Jail Break in twenty twenty two, which it does, you know, Countabats maybe feel like they're operating at a slightly slower based pace than they did, you know, in the twenty ten at their real peak of activity. But I remember that twenty twenty two album. I haven't gone back to it in a long time, but I remember being pretty fun and you know, like again exactly really what you'd be wanting Cantabats to be doing these days. As I said, I've definitely got I've got the counterbats contingent here to talk about this, so excited for four new Bats based off this particular.
Speaker 3: Track, Oh hell yeah.
Speaker 4: I hit player on this and I was like, oh, yeah, cool, this is Cancerbats doing what I want Cantabats to do. I actually went back and listened to that last album off the back of this track, and I was like, ah, that this album was a ripper. All Cansabats albums are rippers, and going off this track, I think this new one might be a ripper, like they're on those bands that.
Speaker 2: Because they have.
Speaker 4: Slowed down now, I don't maybe spend as much time with them as you know in the twenty tens, where I was seeing them every six months and like just having the like all cant Bats all the time, and I kind of do miss that. But at the same time them kind of being away a bit more speraically, it means when they come back, I really appreciate them again. So I'm like, ah, it's Cancer backs again and they're doing this song. Got you know, a big, bouncy fun Cansabats core has got a nasty sort of dirty riff. It's hard but fun and just live wire and it is exactly what I want Cansabats to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's funny because when they do come around, though, it feels like a little tweat because I feel like Cancer Bats are a band who we sort of take for granted or definitely you know, we're beginning to take for granted when they were just always around. But yeah, new song, great classic, you know, heavy, low end, punky, Cancer Bats and banger. Liam though has like an almost like aged, like more grit in his voice. There's something more rusty in his voice.
Speaker 1: Now as as possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Corus, it is big and catchy. Like have we been listening to Cancer Bats since the last week pairing, Like, I was just so in the headspace for this and I've been listening to this lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have come out with the right time a maybe you know, I don't want to do down counter Bats because you know, damn look foot that record, but maybe slightly more interesting or you know, you just discuss in terms of, you know, what we might expect from this band. Album also comes from Turnover, who have got a very quick turnaround on their album, which is kind of nice compared to getting, you know, seven singles from an album before it comes out. Turnover I have announced that their new record is gonna be coming at the end of this month, on May the twenty ninth. It's called Down on Earth, and there's two songs out from that called night Jar and I See You and Realize and Turnover. I think there was maybe a little bit in the air when last year they were doing the ten year anniversary run for perf Vision, and it felt like maybe if interest had, you know, for some fans gone elsewhere during the kind of interim years with Turnover while they explored more kind of experimental music and stuff like that. You know, it resurfaced last year a lot of time as people went down memory lane with with Peripheral Vision, and sometimes you kind of get that feeling that like those stars are going to align and I don't know, people are going to you know, all come back together again. And so I was curious, and I was like, is that going to you know, feed its way into the new Turnover record, Cause that was kind of the vibe of the game. And based on these two tracks that have come in from the New Turnover record, this is you know again, whether it's going to exactly hit people in the way that that you know, semin or one of those beloved records of its era will at the very least. These songs you stick them on and it feels like the Turnover that people immediately first think of when you say the word turnover are kind of clear an emo band. They're coming back.
Speaker 3: They're an emo band again.
Speaker 1: I can believe it.
Speaker 4: When I saw Hit playing these songs, I was because I quite like the kind of lounge music, like easy listening Turnover.
Speaker 3: I think that there's some cool stuff on there.
Speaker 4: But when you hear this and it's it does sound kind of like a sort of cozy, like nice pair of jeans that you just like comforting to put on and you just feel good in, and like, yeah, it kind of slips so easily back into that like really somber warm emo tone that they're doing.
Speaker 3: I think these two songs are are great.
Speaker 4: I'm like cool Turnover like, I mean, clearly they wanted to, you know, express themselves in different ways, experiment and try different things. I think that's great and potentially is that sort of thing where Revision prefer Vision got them in the headspace to sort of write that kind of music again. And what I think is nice about these songs is it doesn't just kind of feel like chasing for at Vision, even if it is kind of moving back in that direction, it still feels like kind of like a current Turnover sort of take on that that more emo sound. So I think these two songs are really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah I have I definitely listen to every Turnover album, but I don't remember what they sound like at all. I just remember how sort of relaxed and sleepy they made me. So when I put these songs on and I was like, yeah, yeah, that's Turnover whatever completely forgetting what they sounded like a few years ago. They've just got a consistent sort of ability to soothe I guess, you know, I don't think it's not peripheral Vision sort of level of songwriting or hookiness, but it's a classic Turnover relaxing Listen. I think they're pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the song night Jar definitely off the two of them that feels like classic, reliable, you know what, you're a member of them. Turn Out It basically sounds like they're picking up exactly where you know, the last record in that style, Good Nature, really left off. It's the second of the two tracks that's really up my alley with that kind of like more like slightly peppy eighties guitar line. It hasn't it. That is a flavor. I really like this kind of thing. So you know, the combination of those things together are very reliable, you know, as you say, cozy, nice pair of Jeenes type turn of a track and then one that ears again in this kind of you know, emo rock vein but with a little bit more spark in it maybe has been like really, you know, I was curious. Now I am looking forward to the turnover because you know, this band, when they were in this kind of era are one of my favorites of like that era and that lane of you know, emo and alternative rock and stuff, and you know, I don't get many records a year in that style that really do you know, tickle my fancy so much, so absolutely, hell yeah, I'll welcome Turnover, you know, walking back into that lane. And I think both these tracks are very promising for that And like I said, it's coming out right at end this month, May twenty nine. Weirdly, Sam, like you're about to go away for a little bit, and all the alternative rock bands that we would norbably be talking about, they're all choosing to release their records like in this window. So we'll have to see which ones we do in your absence and which ones we like put on the boiler until they come back.
Speaker 4: In fairness, the turn On coming right at the end of the month means it probably would land in the.
Speaker 1: Next It does likely. It's just that the next few weeks they are you know, quite quite actually, you know, sometime we go through dry spells with this stuff. But the next few weeks do have like you know, some emo may yeah, absolutely ema very you know again a nice lot of promising run if that's what you're into. But yeah, Turnover end of the month, and I would start getting excited about now if you are like a classic era Turnover fan, because that like looks what it's going to be dialing into there is another new track that I just thought I would, you know, throw a mention here because I was curious about it. Emotionless in White but a song this week featuring at Corey Taylor on a guest vocal. Not a you know, any stranger to guest vocals, but I do always like to check them out, even sometimes when it's bands I don't care about at all, like when he features on a tonight a live song or whatever. I'd be like our Corey Taylor's appeared or peppin obviously at the real great at that end of that, you've got you know, the likes of the code or in songs and stuff that he's been on. But Mostless in White, one of the you know, biggest metical bands of their era, Corey Taylor appears on the track. The track is called Playing God. This song made me laugh in the first five seconds of it because I'm not a Boatless and White fan. And as we have discussed, I remember we did an album Roulette thingla Halloween one and new picked like was it Carny Sam Like I know that people readly like the first couple of Mostless and White records. I'm like you know, I'm sort of indifferent on them, but for the last like ten going on fifteen years now, Mostless and White are the impersonation jukebox band. And that's particularly true when they have guest vocals. Like there's the song with Danny Filth where they go and do their Cradle of Filth. There's just recently on the Corn special we were doing, we checked into there's a Motionless and White song which has Jonathan Davis when guest vocals, and it's like, oh, we have to do a Corn song, and this like weird instinct they do of like do they target the guest vocalist first and then write a song based around them, or do they just do a very flavored impersonation and go, oh, we know it sounds like this, we might as well, you know, make it extra redundant by getting the person involved. Emoses of White Corey Taylor song and I put it on. In the second those breakbeats came in. I just it fully got me because like, you cheeky fuckers, you've done it again. And then the slip stomp that dude dad comes in, and without fail, every time they are just like the fancy dress band.
Speaker 4: It cracked me up when that when that happened hit playing, I was and I said, the break beats and the slip not riff of the stomp and all that. Like, I was like, oh, yeah, you still you're still doing this because again I have largely been checked out with Most and White ever since you know, puts on the fourth or fifth album when they started to give it rubbish and and like particularly redundant. I do still like the first three records, but here in this and then just doing a slip of song but then kind of getting Corey tailored to sing a lump and modern metal court octane chorus.
Speaker 3: I was like, ah, this is really good.
Speaker 4: Like Cory Taylor one, like the verses when he's going hard sounds like you know what you want to kind of a hard Corey.
Speaker 3: Taylor vocaling to do.
Speaker 4: But that on top of this being another melkor song about being mad at Twitter and online critics, I was like, guys, you've got to get over it, all of these medical bands, get over what people winge about online because you just look gotten to and that's that.
Speaker 3: That's just the vibe of this song.
Speaker 4: It's a carry Oki slip knock kind of like track that's got a couple of decent moments, but for the most part just doesn't sound ever particularly convincing to me.
Speaker 2: No, this this song would go hard on a Call of Duty trailer from fifteen years ago, Like this song is so wang. It's like and not that motionless and white or you know, bastions of lyrical quality, but half the song being like fuck off, just fuck right off. I hate you, fuck off. I'm really cross at you. It's so like, are you a toddler? Like, I don't know. I put this song on and it is just like listening to an AI generated slipknot song, and before Corey Taylor came in, I was like, why am I listening to this? I'm already bored. And then Corey Taylor comes in and it sounds like a real song for a second, Like I don't know most of this and white. I really like Creatures because I'm shameless and from twenty twenty to ten. But they're one of the worst bands, right, They're so bad.
Speaker 1: They're one of the worst bands to be as big as they are. But just yeah, it's just amused me to no end when they do the karaoke is exactly the right term Sam and you know what happens then is they take whatever impersonation they're doing and then they stick a motionless in white chorus in the middle of it, and you remember why you don't listen to them. But the rest of it is just so like blatant that, like I said, the second those breakdoaughs came in, I just started just chuckling because it's just so funny. And elsewhere you might be interested. The sludge metal band Gut, who are like a you know, longtime part of the UK scene. They're like a party sludge band and you're prety frivolous. But they have put out featuring none other than Black Myst from the Hell, a cover of the nineties dance classic No Limit by two Unlimited. So if you wanted to hear Black Mys going no no, no, no, no no, it's not available to you.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe it's taken this long for this to happen. When plan exactly what like a kind of like party sludge metal version of No Limit would sound like with Hell, I was like, yeah, coll this is like again the Noven kind of wore by about two minutes in. But I did I did get didn't get a chuckle out of me on the first listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right, some lineup band news. This is the we've got, you know, someone coming to a band and someone leaving a band. The former part is the stranger one. Maybe that's maybe more go a. Dragon Force have added a new addition to their lineup, a new vocalist, and this made me kind of turn my head at first, car I was like, what happened to the last guy, Mark Cuttoner, But he's still there, right, They've now got two vocalists. So alongside Mark, they have added a Lissa White Glues, the until recently Arch Enemy singer who also you know, after leaving Arch Enemy, has launched like a solo career. You's got some other bands and stuff going on. But out of the blue, she is apparently joining Dragon Force, and I can't I'm not entirely if this is like a run where she's going to just do like guest vocals for like this particular run, because I think they're about to embark on a twentieth half Anniverse three in human rampage right now. I don't know, she's just like appearing to add extra vocals to that or something or if how like how long for the foreseeable this would be but really really bizarre news. Didn't know where to kind of start with. It turns out I had missed this. But Dragon Force's most recent album, which mark you will remember with her much fondness, Like, at some point after that, they put out like a deluxe special edition as bands sometimes do with extra songs, and there's a version of a song from that, unfortunately not the Space Marion's one, but they put but they put out a version of a song featuring Alyssa on it. Yeah, but now like a year after that, she's randomly joining the band fully.
Speaker 2: I guess I think that is fully because she's been talking about like the writing a record, So I guess like she's just mad in dragon Force. If dragon Force one really bad now and that would be more in well, I don't know. Maybe because I did listen to that, I am intrigued. Yeah, I did listen to the song that she was on previously, and it does inject a bit more energy and a bit more bite, as it would having someone who's got such a great harsh full call. Maybe you know, dragon Force been really bad at writing hooks and choruses, recently. So if they just sort of flip the other way and go, well, we're just going to be more extreme and more heavy, maybe that's I don't know, that's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: You know the That's what I would hope if they're going to do an album, is they go down a sort of a bit more of a harsher kind of like route, because you'd make that makes it a listed being in the band. But yeah, to me, Dragon Force have kind of like fallen into like novelty.
Speaker 3: Band that I just don't care about in recent years.
Speaker 4: And this is the first bit of Dragon Force news I've gone, Wow, that that's that's That's not the kind of shit I expect from them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know if this and I say this with no judgment because you know, it is what it is. I don't know if having left Arch Enemy, she needs like a regular touring gig right to you know, pay the bill and all that. I don't know whether it is just like this weird happenstance of like you get this really random, amazing opportunity to join Dragon Force for however long she decided to be in the band. I definitely I would be curious about a record to year they're not would you know, putting stock into that suddenly being like, oh my god, it's gonna be the best Dragon Force album in twenty years or some shit. But just to be curious is what the results of it are, because it does again out of all the things where you go, oh list is out of arch enemy. Very low on the bingo card of things to do afterwards would be joining Dragon Force as not even a primary you know, for a woman, but a co Vocalist's very strange, but again head turning news nonethelesson I guess we'll stay tuned. And also again on the flip side of someone leaving a band solitude of turners who are the very legendary cult but super influential. I regularly name drop when we're reviewing basically trad doom records, so when we talk about Spirit a Drift recently or like crypt Sermon, these type bands as you turn as along with a candle mass, so maybe a little bit more internationally famous. I want to let the real like standard bearers of that there frontman Rob Low, who was also was weirdly the frontman in can Master for a little wile, but he's been maybe removed I don't know, from the band, and that is strange because he's like their guy, He's like the main vocals they've had. So very curious and unfortunately Solciter Turners don't really appear over here, so I don't know if we'll ever get to see that, but yeah, just curious. Strange news goes on in the in the underground of you know, lineups coming and going. Let's talk a little bit about Scowl who. I saw this headline and I kind of had a moment of realization. I was like, oh, yeah, you haven't been around, like for whatever reason, I because there was so maybe it's because the first half of last year obviously, Yeah, when they put the record out, the next album, they were as you'd expect on the band Who's You were released in a really hotly tipped album. They were very much around and they were everywhere. But I kind of didn't twig that for the last sort of six months or so they'd gone completely a woll and we hadn't you know, his complete radio silence basically, But Scowl have come out and Cap Moss, the front woman, has come out basically saying that they are currently on a you know we don't know how long it will be, but they are certainly on for the moment a break and she's describing that as kind of basically a result of emotional burnout, which sometimes when bands get as big as quickly as Scowl did. I think you can understand that. You know, it's quite a lot to adjust to suddenly being propelled to you know, having so many eyes on you and all of that, and you know, some other stuff going on in their personal lives as well. But yeah, again, because there was a moment of realization for me, like, oh yeah, Scowl like it did after the initial role out of the album kind of did disappear for the like the second half of last year obviously the beginning of this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was when they started canceling like a lot of European and UK too, Like they poured out of Outbreak this year.
Speaker 3: I was kind of like, yeah, thinking someone was up.
Speaker 4: I think they pulled out of two thousand Trees as well that but like they were they were like dropping off dates and and I think it's a thing where like they've been on tour kind of endlessly since everything came back from COVID, Like, yeah, twenty twenty two. They've been over here every year like every couple, like every so many months, and that enclosed you know, concent trolling in the US. So I think that that that combine them with, as I say, some of the other more person things that Kat kind of goes into on this podcast you did where like that is going to you know, take its toll, And I think it's one of the things that rather than kind of burn the band out completely, it's it's a good idea to hit the brakes. I think it's shame it's off the back of like say, my favorite record from last year, one of my favorite kind of like Amazon Musy is just an amazing sort of punk rock record to sort of not be able to really keep that momentum going. But for the hope, for the for the good of the band, they can kind of like like refocus, kind of refresh themselves and come back better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very much with for all the reasons involved that everyone like you know, takes the right reasons to be like, okay, step back for a little bit. But I do hope that you know, maybe in a I don't want to put any time frame on it, but you maybe done next year or something. We could be seeing Scout resurface. But yeah, again, they have vanished from the limelight for now, but we'll see when they return. Torn News Live News of five Things that bunch have added a big UK and a European arena run. The support bill is what maybe the T and M faith will be the most interested here. Lamb of God and belief within opening them which is a very hearty, meaty sledgehammer opening to If I think a Death Pinch show, isn't it? Oh that'd be so good, Like you'd be having a great time the whole way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. There's been so much horrible stuff going on in the discord, lots of slander against five figure Death Punch as if they're not as sick as hell live band, you cannot like they're recorded.
Speaker 1: I've never seen them live, so you know the squid.
Speaker 2: I know the squid. Honestly, mate, you'd be a knucklehead within seconds.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: I went into the metallgashow skeptical and I came out and being like, yeah, fuck it, cam me, knucklehead, you know you can.
Speaker 4: Suck my I just can't believe they're still doing you know, the Otero arena over here.
Speaker 3: I genuinely thought, like their present over in the UK did any uctually?
Speaker 4: Can I know they've got you know, a big supporting bills that's probably gonna help. But I was like, like, does the UK still care about five things as much and that much? Because you know, they don't get booked for download anymore. They're not you know, the eternal second or third from the top of the main stage download band that they were in this sort of twenty ten students or of the peak of their popularity.
Speaker 3: But maybe there's still that that knucklehead.
Speaker 4: Silent majority over here, that mark is proudly like banging the drum.
Speaker 2: For when is the last time they were over here?
Speaker 1: That's sadly not information that I kept.
Speaker 4: This is you You would have to tell us that, yeah, I feel like download not around here.
Speaker 1: Apparently the last time they played Download Festival was in twenty seventeen, which is nearly ten years ago. That's mad. How when did they vanish from that bill without the ever you know, tweaking on too, the fact that they weren't there anymore, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: They used to always do that.
Speaker 2: Dang, there's time to come back. This is the big comeback. Maybe a play for the top of the stage.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's a renaissance. I don't know, but there you go. Lamb good andre with enjoying that that's happened in January of twenty twenty seven. Of course, later in this year, Devin Townsend is also returning to the touring circuit. He said, I think maybe a little bit of a year ago that he was kind of taking a break from touring, and I guess that maybe this is just like sometimes you your year passes and you don't think about someone, but in their life, taking a year off is a really, really long time. I don't know, but Devin towns enough to say that he was stepping out from touring, is re emerging to tour in the UK and Europe later this year September into October. This is for his The Moth album that's coming out. I think at the end of this month in the UK is it's kind of, you know, the European dates like take up the middle chunk of this tour. But in the UK he's playing Birmingham, Bath, Southampton, Exeter, London, and then like a month later when he reappears in the UK Brighton, Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester and Leeds and really strange tour annoucement. It says it's from it's doing stuff from all of his projects, from Punky Brewster through all the way through to modern day Devin Townsend. This sounds actually mental when you look at the the bands are listed right. Obviously we all know the different bands have been in strapping Young lad Casualties of Cool get a mentioned here like if this is a proper like cross project career spanning Devin's set list, that sounds fucking mad. Punky Brewster getting a mention in twenty twenty six, there's not something I think anyone what we're gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I wonder if you'll do any of his dark ambient songs from the two dozen.
Speaker 1: I hope so I take a half hour detour to turn into like a Boris set. That would be good. But yeah, late late this year September October, Devin Towns are returning to touring. Very you know, interesting announcement here. Olivia Rodrigo, not someone that we usually tend to talk about. She has added like fucking I think by the time this podcast goes out a thousand more will have been added. Dates at the London's O tem Arena and nowhere else, and my like you know, social media timeline had been full of Olivia Rodriguez fans like absolutely fucking livid that upon repeatedly selling out the O to Arena, she is just adding more and more dates rather than going anywhere else in the UK. Legitimately, I think at this stage there are nine dates across about fifteen days in just the O two arena, adding a new and every time it sells out, and never adding anything in any other city. And to all those people who are that angry, I completely concur with you. I think it's genuinely disgraceful, shameful behavior to expect fans from all like you're the fucking multimillionaire, like you go to them, Go book the co Op in Manchester, go play Glasgow, go somewhere else, and don't expect fans from you know, everywhere, from like Wales to Scotland to you know, fucking the Southwest whatever to pay hundreds of pounds that for you are just like a drop in the fucking ocean to go and you know, go to the big city and fucking buy trains of commodation. It is genuinely this trend that's happening. I've seen it happen with pop artists a lot of just adding these like residencies in London and going nowhere else is so fun, lame, absolute poser, bitch ass behavior. But the reason we're talking about this at all is that the main support act for Olivia Drigo has announced is Dishpits, the kind of alternative rock band who we review their album last year, and since we reviewed that record at the end of last year, sometime they have like popped up a lot. They played I think they played Corchella, didn't they, which isn't necessarily too you know, unusual for a popular rock band, but they were there.
Speaker 3: A trendy rock band to do that. Yeah, that may it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're also supporting the Foo Fighters on their dates over here and now being added as the support act for like one of the as I say, the main pop girls, right, Dishbits are a pretty heavy band for that kind of thing. Like when we reviewed it, we were like, these are songs outsword that have mastered on rifts in them. Why have they been given like the keys to the Kingdom. This happens where you get these like corporately. I don't want to say a point, you know, creative, they are, but anointed where it's like you are one who are allowed to play everything like you for some reason in a world that people don't really care about, certainly sludge metal. Right, we're gonna like the bands get given the keys to appear on everything. But it's happening this time with a band who I said are genuinely capable of being quite gutta really heavy, and it's really weird that it's now going this far wherey're supporting Olivia Rodrigo. It's not even like it like metal. It's like swords and sludge riffs like metal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The thing is obviously the bigger pill of them is that is that with the kind of like the pop and the alt rock kind of like vocals and all that stuff. And that's the thing that again really made us quite fond of the album, was this cool blend of ideas. But like again I could I could understand them spoiling food fires. I'm pretty sure you know, Like obviously like gouge Way did that Mannekin pussy.
Speaker 3: I think I've done that before.
Speaker 4: Like that, there's a TSI fans to get that sort of thing, but this is like a step further of like I say, going out with one of the big pop girlies, Like who knows, you might see just spits on the next Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: I would love that, Like.
Speaker 2: This is mad. Like I saw the food Floaters thing and I was like, oh, yeah, yeah, that makes sense. And then when you can see it Olivia Rodrigo one was announced, I was like, hold on if I confused this band with another one? Like I was like, did I get them confused with Venona Fighter? Like but though it is the same, you know, slodgie riffs, heavy band, Like I don't know if they're gonna go over well with Olivia Rodrigal fans, but that doesn't even matter to me, just the fact that they're there and being put in front of them. It's really Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 1: And like Olivia Rodrigo of all the you know, big like proper major league pop stars, she does have like a very there's a nineties rock sort of slant in nostalgia to like Naughty's rock you know when Good for You as massive and it was just a parabole song, you know what I mean, Like there is so if anyone is gonna do it of those, you know, it makes more sense doing it Olivia Drigo than it would Taylor Swift for example, or fucking Lady Garca or whatever. Right, I'm not like, if it's gonna have to happen for someone, I'm not stunned, see Olivia Drigo. Of all people pick a band like Dispits, But like I said, it's just who are the fan base for this band? This is really curious me because like we review the album, we're like, this is good, like for again, a band who are getting these kind of you know, uh, this kind of hype and this buzz around them in like more than just our scene, Like this one does seem pretty credible musically and pretty legit. But I am fascinated so like the people who they've been put in front of what other things that Dispits fans are into, you know, because they don't seem to outside of the Foo fighters, right, they don't seem to be playing that many major rock tours. They are peering at all these like fucking enormous major label type you know showcases, which is just yeah, doing it with their riffs is bizarre.
Speaker 4: I mean, they're selling out their own shows, like like they will do in the Underward and that got upgraded and so they are like do they have people are like going to see them at their own things. So perhaps they are winning people over at these as you say, the anointed, big yeah, big shows.
Speaker 3: That them on.
Speaker 2: Maybe it'll work out well for them if they're playing in front of pissed off people who've traveled four hundred miles to go to London. Absolutely human and then you hear those riffs, that'd be perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. If we can create some kind of pipeline to get the you know, despitz fans at the live Rodrigue shows into I don't know, the acid bath shows that are happening, Like somewhere there is a line that makes some weird musical hets there get them really into high on fire. Well, let's see where it goes. I'm very curious of again, how where there's oldershpits you know, Saga carries them. But they are currently going to be spotting a Lidia Rodrigo at the twelve thousand dates exclusively happening inside the capital of this country. Right. Steve Evatts, the producer producer Extrawsannair has done everything from Dead Guy to the Wonder Years. He's one of the most like regularly you see his name pop up all the time just on sick bands records really unfortunately use that his studio Belleville, His studio is unfortunately burned down in a really large fire in New Jersey. I know there's a go fund me up there and stuff like that, but you know, again, someone who has worked on many, many records, I guarantee you have enjoyed so you know, well wishes to him in terms of getting back up on his feet and see more records from his studio when it is you know, back in action hopefully coming through. But if there is some bad news, there's also some potentially good news. People think Greta van Fleet is going to be splitting up because Greta van Fleet have put out a like teaser post that just says thanks for the wild ride with all of their names listening underneath them, and people are like, oh, apparently they've been doing like side projects stuff the last couple years. It does feel like it's been kind of quiet on the you know them being you know, pushed in front of everyone's fate front. But people have a theory think possibly the Greavan Fleet might be calling it a day, and like I, I even like the odd Gretavanthleet song like Highway Tune is a tune. I'm not a monster, but I think probably for the wider good of the world, it's probably for the best that they disappear.
Speaker 3: This is how I found out they hadn't already broken up again.
Speaker 4: I'd not thought about gret Van Fleet for so long, it's been a minute. They were not they Like we reviewed that last out, that horrible last album again earlier in my time on the podcast, and I have not thought about them since then. I thought they were because no one talks about it anymore, that kind of led Zeppelin worships or thing. It's so not the flavor anymore. I thought they were done. And this is how I find out. No, they they were actually still going this whole time, and they might be finally splitting up like we can hard.
Speaker 2: I don't know, knowing our lock, they'll be aping the seventies band so hard that they'll do an Aerosmith esque ten year of farewell to They'll just keep.
Speaker 1: Extending yeah, repeatedly, do kisses and just like emerge again and again and again.
Speaker 2: But this is our last show to dolphins.
Speaker 1: They're all enjoying it. They're clapping their flippers like squeaking at the response. And then we're going to move on to the Chipmunk, so we will not stop until we have done our Anyway, there you go, let's move on Patreon over on. That's this week upcoming. We are going to be continuing. I mentioned our corn special earlier. Part one has been up there for a couple weeks, but we are going to be The next thing on our horizon is we will be doing part two, moving into the real peak new metal years of them being like fucking superstars and everything with that middle run of late nineties into the early noughties records. But in between these parts, we have just done our latest album, club Pack, which saw a little of contentious discussion between you, you and I Sam based on some of the greatest music ever. But we also spoke about the likes of Brimie, the Rises, count Your Blessings, reassessing that after twenty years and the again the ups and downs of just its reputation over the years. Very fascinating to talk that about. I Am really plays about how when we did the art party, and what I was secretly hoping with this, and it does seem to be the case, is that going back to municipal waste the art partying, people would just start thinking about all those neo retro thrash bands in general and digging up bands being I haven't listened to that, you know, that Havoc record or that Gamma Bomb record since twenty eleven or whatever, And at least in terms of our discord, that does seem to be the discussion right now. It's just people reliving all of those memories and that era, which was again maybe a formative era for some good times, had their really fun discussing that record, and we also spoke about the debut rolative Massy Records became more going about down memory lane with Nintendo since and the like. Again, ups and downs in the in the podcast itself, but I think it was a rewarding and enjoyable, entertaining journey for us all to go down in the end, Wasn't it?
Speaker 4: Only one of us got personal, It's all I'm going to say, one of us trying to keep there. Chris was entirely professional and just and just be honest, And.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to hold up a mirror. I'm just trying to hold up a mirror. Yeah, no, I was.
Speaker 3: It was like, I am happy for you and Elliott.
Speaker 4: That was a rewarding discussion on that front, hearing you two get to be so enthusiastic about that music and like, to be fair, the Municipal Race one was such a fun just kind of like, ah, this album is such a like twenty first century classic to me, I can get in trouble for the list of fresh albums.
Speaker 3: I think that album is better.
Speaker 1: Than Yeah, I'd probably agree with you.
Speaker 4: A lot of fun, fun discussions, you know, dissecting pray for plagues and like count your Blessings and all that shit and the magic of like pray for plagues on that album alongside some of the other mental shit.
Speaker 3: That happens with that album. Just good times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really enjoyed listening to this pack. I though it was really great all four records. I have some sort of foddenness for it and my fun for cop Your Blessings, I guess I am. But yeah, I usually I love going along with you, Sam when you rally against something that's paranor Eliot love. But I listened to Wild Autumn Winds the other day and I genuinely tear it up.
Speaker 1: That's that's the one.
Speaker 4: Like I did say, that's the one, you know, pretty good song on the record, probably IDENTI if I said those words exactly, but it's one of our most most positive about that.
Speaker 1: You have it fine, Yeah, it's absolutely magic. Go and check out that record and our chats on them. Patron of the comm Slash that's the way to be. Like I said, Corn Special Part two coming soon, let's end them. Primary first leg of this hyperblasts with the release roundup for this week eighth of May. And there are a few records here. I think people would have been looking forward to whether you are in you know, one sub scene of the T and M universe or another sub scene. Maybe one of them is Black Belt Brid's album Vindicate, which we did discuss a single on the show a few weeks ago. We will you know what, Blackvelt Bride's holding it down pretty well in the scheme of you know, metalcore bands of their generation still doing all right. So I hope that's the case for the rest of the album. Vindicate by blackfl Brides out now. Then, Speaking of the you know the big very you know, well loved alternative rock bands of their generation. Basement are Final laid back with their album that's been like eight years and the making or something. Their new record Wired is out. Then there is Koyo, who are about who have you emerged in the years since then? But kind of on like the I know a lot of hardcore fans like them, but they're kind of on the pop punk end of the spectrum. Is that right, Sam?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they are kind of one of the pop punk emos or bands that I've sort of been grace at themselves into hardcore. I might have more to say about them in a not too distant future.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, there you go. Their album Barely Here is out today, and then moving backwards in time through the punk world Social Distortion a back they got a record called Born to Kill. And there is also the flat Liners with Cold any flat Liners fans here, I know that they're one those bands that again people have like their very cult specific relationship with I like.
Speaker 4: The flat Liners. They when I was like massively getting into the Mensingers and then basically every kind of like punk band like that. Flat Liners were one of the bands I sort of got into around that time. They were never like the biggest, but they were like a nice, real, like dedicated cold.
Speaker 1: Following Yeah, there you go the flat Liners with the record Cold World. Then there is Haggard Cat of course, the band featuring former members of Heck still going strong today their record The Pain that Orbit's Life Is Out. Jeff Tait, the former Queen's Right, the singer who has been up and up to all sorts over the years since he left Queen's Right. Really he's got a record app which made me laugh when I saw the title, because it's Operation Mind Crime three making sequeled still to Queen's Rights to finding record, one of the great concept albums of the eighties, Operation Mine Crime. There's a third one on from the classic form from mister Jeff Taits. Let's move into extreme metal, Frozen Soul, the cold school death metalers. There I believe third Studio alb at this point, isn't it their record No Play of Warmth Is Out? Will probably have that in the next reviews bad because I know that they are again one of the more popular bands of the current death metal wave in the UK. There is Ingested the long going Brutal death Metal as their record Denigration is out. I know that the things have been kind of thrown up in the air and around for them recently, with them like swapping singers and stuff like that. I don't know what that means for this specific record and you know who is on it or whatever. But the latest record from Ingested is out today, Denigration. Speaking of going back in time, Dark Throne are back once again with their you know, bi annual record, and this one is called Prehistoric Metal and the album cover is a wonderful photo of Fenris throwing the claw and holding a pitchfork, just like really taken in. I don't know his his farm shed or something, but I imagine this will probably be based on what I've heard, you know, continuing along the kind of very like rusty vibe of like their last like three or four records or something. But I will always check out Darth Throwne records. So Prehistoric Metal is out going into bounds. Who still remained to this day being black metal bands Pernopticon the great classic at this stage, I would say us black metal band Appalachian folk tinged American black metal. Their record with a title that's in Norwegian for some reason, it's debt heumsucked hill TETs is my attempt at that, but the letric of a Panopticon. I know that they've released quite a bit of music recently in terms of like digging up old recordings and stuff like that, but I believe that this is like the first, like you know, current studio Peranopticon album since the one that came up like two three years ago. And if it is, you know that record in question, I'm thinking of that record is fucking fantastic and generally one of their best ever. So if this is again a proper new not studio record, but I believe it is, then I will definitely checking out with interest. There is yof Area, the band featuring you know, some long time legends of the Greek black metal scene but have kind of evolved into like a just a very epic, stirring heavy metal band, basically along the lines of if you like extreme but kind of epic heavy metal, along the lines of I'm thinking you're like a mono moth, right, that kind of vibe of like it's heavy and it's modern, but it's also just very classic and fist pumpy. Your theorya in the same way that Rotten christ can be a lot of the time. Ah, the sort of band who you know they're supplying that thing. So they've got a record called Gone with the Devil, more into the underground of black metal. Perhaps the record that I am most looking forward to this week is the return of the UK black metal as a Forest of Stars, with their first album in like coming up to maybe about ten years, about eight years or something like that, a band I have a real place in my heart for. They've got a record called stack Overflowing corpse Pile Interference, which or sorry interface, because that definitely makes as much sense as the thing that I said. But I'm looking for to find out what the fuck any of that refers to, because I love of Forest of Stars really eccentric, progressive, wild UK black metal into kind of death doom, gothic death doom, you know, very like I am drinking my red wine and being sad about it vibes the band Draconian. I've got a record called insomnolent Ruin, and then at end on some EPs in the hardcore world, we have Forced Order with Undying Spirit, which I believe is that on Triple B Records.
Speaker 4: Sam Forced Order, Yeah, crossover sort of frashy hardcore.
Speaker 3: This EP is really fun.
Speaker 4: It's got solos on it, which is always nice when the hardcore band aren't scared to solo. Agree, but if you if you want, if you want your hardcore to be a bit like pacer and frashier, give the CPS spin.
Speaker 1: It's really cool, very nice. And there's also crow Quill, who I remember they wasn't maybe last year put out one of the more hypie again EP short form releases to come out of the whole, like you know, Circle the Millennium metalcore revival stuff basically, So they're following up that with another EP called Erase the File.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, coming strike that kind of vein of yeah, like throwback metal corp. The I lap up and you know, we get a new EP from these sort of bands every couple of weeks. I will probably really enjoy this. If this is as good as the last crow Call EP was that like that is one of the better ones of this sort of style of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that they are one of the bands again who do have more of the what seemed to be like you know, extensive praise around them, So I would be curious seeing where the whole Croquil thing goes with their new EP is that today, and then moving on to the extreme side. For the EPs, We've got Scarab, the Egyptian death metal band obviously very well named Transmutation of Fate. And there is also the returning grindcore band Gadget with their record called co Earth. So there you go. That's the releases for today. Sam, you are about to embark on a trip across Asia for a little while. Yeah, this is going to be your last appearance on the show for about a month and a half, six weeks something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, five weeks.
Speaker 4: I'm off traveling through Asia, hin Up, Thailand, Vietnam to do like historical cultural stuff.
Speaker 3: Then I'm landing in Japan to.
Speaker 4: Just do a load of nerdy shit and watch a bunch of hardcore like primarily the Japan because built around going to blood Axe Festival, which is sort of Japan's kind of like primary hardcore metalcore festival. It's headline this year by Speed and Poison The Well, we've been a lot of time Koyo. As I just mentioned, they are playing that alongside a bunch of like Japanese bands Numb, Loyal to the Grave, view from the Sawyers, who I've been you know, raving about.
Speaker 3: Very excited to see them.
Speaker 4: So I'll be hitting up that and you know some of the side shows around that. So when I'm back, I'll probably have a bit of a report on what's going on in like Japanese hardcore on the like.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I will be like absent.
Speaker 4: I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your corn special that you record in my absence and keeping up with I hope to hear the Jeff Ta album gets reviewed when I'm you and Elliott dissecting Operation Mine Crime Free. I think would be a wonderful listen as I'm sort of like, don't promise the people that, don't promise the people you know to put it out there, it could be worthwhile. Yes, I'll miss you know coming on here to chat about stuff. I will I will have some like stuff to talk about when I'm back, and it's going to be a fun little trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the rest of us will be holding the thought while you're gone, but yeah, we will see you when you're back here and I get a bit over a month go and enjoy Japan and Asia. Mark and I are going to continue on for a little bit. We're going to talk about Incineration Festival, which mark you, we're not even at, but you did go and see one of these Cineitar shows on their UK tour, so we can chat about that a little bit. And otherwise I am going to reel off my experiences at, as I say, one of the big extreme metal events that pops up every year in the UK, you know, live music calendar. I don't go to a seration every single year, but I do like to try and make it out when there is something particularly spicy on the lineup that really makes me go, I can't miss that. And as we will get onto, there were certain things that were an ounced for this that very much pulled that trigger for me. I didn't expect to go about so soon after I was their last year obviously. Last year was sensational with the trip to con Celtic Frost Set where they played a Dying God Company to Human Flesh for the first time ever, and Blood Incantation premiering absolutely elsewhere the album's set in the UK, all that good stuff. But this year, like I said, even though there was nothing that maybe you know, grabs the headlines as much as those things there were again things on the lineup where I go, okay, I guess I'm coming back straight away. It takes place as you know, if you know, if you have been to the Festival four it's one of those cross Camden type events, often in the Electric Ballroom, the Underworld, the black Heart, really small venue around the corner Call to the dev as well the really tiny like pub stuff, but also on some years where they go particularly big. This is two years in a row and they have done it. They also book the Roundhouse and fill that with big stuff. That does add the kind of slightly annoying on it into the next veris of the Roundhouse is about a ten minute walk away from all those other venues in question, So there is Trekking and I don't know, this year, for whatever it isn't I felt it less like even though this year I did do with the back and forth track more than any last year. Like last year, I mainly went to the Electric Boor and watch stuff there, walked to the Roundhouse watch stuff there. This year I did go back and forth like several times. But for whatever maybe my legs are just stronger, I don't know, Like, for whatever reason, it didn't feel as bad this year, so giving people tips and describing how the festival works is quite hard because I myself feel nebulously about it. Where my experience seems to change from year to year. I don't know, but you know, it is what it is. It can still be an annoying festival to like, you know, watch bands timing wise, when something ends in one corner of Camden basically, and then you're a trek to the other corner when the band is immediately starting. But like I said, this year, I didn't actually have many problems and I saw lots of good stuff For me. It also turned into kind of an extended weekend deal because it basically became a three day run of shows all centering around the Incineration weekend. So I guess I'll go through them chronologically and New Marcus can chime in when when it's appropriate. The thing that kicked off that for me is around Incineration dragged into Sunlight who had been booked for it. They added like basically a bit of a UK tour around it, with like three or four extra shows, and they also brought along with them other bands who were on the Incineration bill. Vacuous and Plague Pit as the support for it, and I knew. I looked at Incineration the poster. This is before the times had gone out, but I was like, I knew, I've been said before. I know it can be difficult, clashes are going to be annoying. So I was like, I am going to go because I can and see all of these bands a couple of nights before basically, and therefore I've ticked them off before I've even gotten to Incineration, and I can allocate myself more appropriately with that in mind. So I got to see Dragon sun Light along with those other bands Vacuous and Plaue Pits before Insinration even arrived. I did not see them at Incineration itself. For this reason. I got to go do other things. But I heard from you know, the people who did go see drag de sun Like at the main incineration that basically they were as devastating as ever, because that's what they are. Like, I don't think there is such a thing as any Dragon to Sunlight shower, that there is any you know, less intense than the average level that they exist. That but there you go. Plague bit, I guess as the opening band of the whole experience. I wasn't really familiar with them, but from what I gathered from watching them is it's kind of sort of sludgy, maybe slightly bolt throwery hardcore death metal, basically that kind of realm of stuff, you know, decent enough stuff, but Vacuous as the main support on this drag thing. They were also headlining the Black Heart in the Incineration main day, which meant they were on during Blue via Death headline in the Roundhouse. That's a rough slot to get, but I heard from them that that was a packed enough slot for them anyway in the Black Cart and so they had the good headlining slot in there. Was really looking forward to seeing Vacuous and made sure to again do so here because their record from the last year, in His Blood, is I think one of the better death metal records to have come out in the last like eighteen months or so, and was looking forward to getting to Hoster seeing that material. And they are fucking wicked, Like I think that they are probably the best deaf not band in the UK right now, Like really a mixture of really powerful live presence from you know, the vocalist has this really strong live presence, but also the drummer Max, who is the also the drummer who plays in hell Ripper is I think one of like the hardest hitting extreme metal drummers certainly in this country. Right now. We're just watching him smack the fuck out of that on these Like you know, it's good enough the hell Ripper doing like really far thrash stuff, but when you go into the death metal realm and you have like these wild intens blast passages and stuff. But also on that last Vacuous record, So the stuff that I really liked and that really turned my head with it is they've kind of started introducing more ideas than just you're playing every death of stuff, right, and they started adding in like post punk and these like big heavy pounding rhythms and kind of some like more spooky ambient elements and stuff like that. And that's why I think makes that set of set of songs really, like again stand out, really cool hearing that stuff in the live setting. Really good stuff from Vacuous. I hope to see them several more times before this cycle is out, but definitely a band that I would recommend catching if if you can around them, And like I said, if you missed their record last year and you're into underground death metal that just has a little bit more going for it than your average band, Definitely recommend it. Dragging to Sunlight, as I say, it kind of feels like the victory lap basically, for like when they came back after having not played a show in five or the years whatever it was for Damnation again about eighteen months ago, and that Damnation set just like it kind of escaped containment of just the Damnation people who were there, Like I think it made the rounds people like this set was fucking bonkers, and the way that they have like built up this sort of demand and legend around them in their absence, and then it all just came flooding back of that Damnation set, this Incineration run. Like I said, it's basically like the victory lap for it, and maybe people who heard about that Damnation set that weren't there for it will have, you know, bought a ticket to Incineration or one of these other dates to be like I want to get a piece of that. And I was saying to people, I was like, if you've not seen Dragon to Sunlight before, then they are the band you have to see at the risk of missing absolutely everything else, Like you just have to go to experiences for yourself. I've been you know, privileged enough to see them, I think like six times or something like that, but every single time without fail, just the I've said it, when we spoke about Damnation, it was essentially the same set, like they're still doing Hatred for Mankind, which is interesting because when that Damnation thing happened there with that awful clash, and I've now had the opportunity to see this set basically like several times after that thing, But I still don't regret that clash and what I did with it, because it feels like that Damnation set was the the one, right that's the one that kind of goes down in history, and people still talk about that, but you know, still by some playing all the Heterrochmankind, which is just fucking venomous, and it never gets old seeing a stage like kind of you know, decked out in these fucking deer antler skulls and the massive candle larbra and then being absolutely brutalized by that like strobe lighting and just the fact that they are the most heavy, intense life band you could possibly expect to see like unlocking some extra level of frying you alive when they play that has no bad they've ever seen have quite achieved that level. Yeah, essentially this was a round two after the Damnation experience and maybe slightly less sweaty and slightly less like close quarters terrifying, but just a reminder of everything that is brilliant about Drandon. Something like they've said that they're going to do like they did a social media post and they were like, we're going to do one more run of shows. And I don't know if that means that they are going to that they just want to do another Runner shows and then maybe they'll go into hibernation for a while. Maybe they are you know, disappearing permanently. I don't know, but it certainly feels like again the legend has reawoken after Damnation, and right now we're in this period of like as many people as possible should be trying to see this while it you know, it exists. So again great like kicking off to the Incineration weekender totally day after that, I went down to London and in the Black Heart there was what was labeled as the Incineration pre party, put on by the record store slash label Crypt of the Wizard, who put out the record of the band question about to talk about a couple of support acts at the London show for this there was a just a full on noiseet like just a guy you know, squawking into a micing causing a big old racket with his noise rig under the name Lover's Leap. And also a band called Fields of Agony, which I believe members features members of Final Dose, but it's much more like straightforward like atmospheric black metal. Sort's fair. But then the main app who you also mark as they added a full on UK tour you also went out to see up in your area. We went to see Cimitar separately, didn't we?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, this is my first gig since Home Front with you. Oh yes, I was as soon as it was announ so I was just like, I need to go to like it was one of my favorite records of last year doing my new favorite band, like favorite new band.
Speaker 1: I just this.
Speaker 2: The second this was available to be I was like, okay, I'm breaking my cold streak, you know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I was really amped when they added UK shows. If you don't know the band in question, then you obviously didn't listen to our end of year episodes at the end of last year, obviously because you know, we both mentioned them to various degrees across things like the Award show and the Albums of the Year shows and stuff like that. Based on their record Cinmitar Cemetarium one that came out last year, they have very swiftly in the ARKU points. They followed up with Cemetary two and then adding a UK tour for this. They're from Denmark, so you know they're not always it's not always guaranteed that small heavy metal bands from abroad will appear in the UK. So I was very stoked that they I did not only like one show, but like a genuine tour, right, and they aligned with Incineration for me, you could go to this, so this was like one of the things I was looking forward to most out of the whole festival experience, right and Scimitar in again a small upstairs pub venue which is the Black Cart. There are on record. They are an assault on the senses. As we are going to talk about soon, we're going to review the new record that's just come out. But seeing that translated to the live experience, not even just musically, but also visually where they stylistically like kind of how they present themselves. They there's an odd mismatch about them which I find really kind of intriguing, and that there's not a lot of like thought put into the image necessarily. They do just feel like a bunch of kind of eccentrics from different walks of life who have just sort of like vomited themselves up on the stage. And like, I can't remember what show it was, but I saw on again like an Instagram story one of these other dates. I'm pretty sure the one of the guitarists was wearing like basically shirtless while wearing like leopard print legs, because you've got like guitarists who look like they've walked out the seventies like full on you know, scandy rock star sort of vibes. But then this, you know, quite diminutive singer in this, you know, wearing like a floral skirt or something going fucking like just so intense and like flailing around and waving our arms around and like staring down the front door of the audience so intensely wailing like a motherfucker, like a real I mean, did you find this as well in terms of just like the clattering assault that is their records hit in the live environment in a way where it's like I don't quite know where to look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because like like you say, they have a guitarist is slightly more fancy, they have really just sort of like seventies hard rock and guitarists. They're bassist looks so much like Cliff Burton. It was so distracting. I was like, what the hell, Like they're just bassists have to look like this like and yeah, they're The vocalist is just such a presence.
Speaker 1: It's so mad, like she's fucking great. But it was like just wild run Shielder just like then trail off and start screaming and screech elsewhere wild like really like unterrible as the word.
Speaker 2: Her arms flying around like currmit the Frog, like she is amazing and like I put up a video on my Instagram story and one of my not metal friends I was like, this is giving like scary.
Speaker 1: Florence Welsh fan would say that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that sort of whaling witch thing. Yeah there. I mean, such an exciting band and that's sort of you'll you'll talk about it in the review. The second record is so so intense.
Speaker 1: It's just like.
Speaker 2: Blaring, but in the live environment that really like where it's not as production wise suffocating, and you do you can pick out the bass parts and you can pick out like the actual guitar lines. It was wicked, like just being able to be like, oh yeah, these are recognizaboy songs when they're played by poor people like five people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just genuine just freak energy being applied to the instruments that like the drummer just going completely out of control. Yeah, two guitarists like basically thrusting their instruments into like the front row with the audience, like trying to impale people with them, like really wild, really intense. Super happy that they added Ukhaers and got to see them because that again, these they are I think one of the most exciting new heavy metal bands to emerge in this decade.
Speaker 2: You know, Oh yeah, they have a genuine just like it's live wire, you know, to use sort of a cliche, this is like it's just proper live exciting heavy music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically it's not put on either, Like it doesn't feel like they've oh no, crafted like some heavy bands, and sometimes these are bands that I really like as well, but it's just very deliberate in terms of, like, this is the kind of band we are going to be. We are fitting into this certain mold. We are borrowing our iconography and how we play and everything off of pre established you know, molds what heavy metal band is. Whereas this they do feel like on record and visually and when they play live, people who have almost stumbled into making this insane fucking maeah.
Speaker 2: When I was doing my Albums of the Year, something I mentioned as a positive is that there's like it sounds like three different members are on different songs. During songs, like the instrumental will be one thing and then the vocalist will be doing a completely different song, like and like you're saying, just everything about them visually, the way they move, the way they interact. One of the guitarists was just like not on stage for half of it because he was just wandering about and that just back to the audience a bunch, and that's not planned, Like you can't plan. Oh, what I'm gonna do is have my back to the audience for half the set because I'm trying to figure out where to walk next. And yeah, I mean the spontaneity and sort of ramsackle nature of it even meant that I only saw like half a set.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they broke the electrics in Glasgow, didn't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they blew something. It was just like they were at the end of the first song on Cementarium one. Luckily it was at the end, otherwise i'd be furious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think after that. I think the play song they played after that was like one of the really fucking long like ten there's a slower one I think on the second record, it's like a ten minute long song or something. Yeah, they played that after that song, and that was the end of set.
Speaker 2: So okay, okay, it's not as bad as I imagine that that would have been really cool to see. But it was just like you're watching this crazy, wild, fiery heavy metal band. There's a bright, bright light and then suddenly darkness for like a minute where everyone's so just confused. But what I love about it is the band seems so unbothered and so casual about it, where I'm like, does this happen all the time? They just did not.
Speaker 1: Leaving a trail of broken fruises across Europe. Yeah yeah, one of the more metal baby absolutely one of the more unpredictable you can live wire live experiences in like heavy metal. I think right now I'm really excitedly Scimitar. Hope they come over again soon and this isn't the last we see them, because they are again. It's quite a exciting band right now. Onto the incineration day proper for me, this Saturday just gone, like I said, across several venues in the London Camden area. The first band that I made sure to get out and see is de Vegina fry Height. Concideration for me because again it's it's across several venues, You've got your clashes and stuff. I'm usually very good at being able to basically curate a day of going back and forth where I only see bands I'm just like really fucking jazzed about, you know, like I can always fill a day with just like bands I love, so the case in point. First thing de Vegana fry Height, who are one of the best black meltal bands the last ten years or so in the tri Borum first of all, Wicked, like I was trying to sell them to someone, and I'd describe them as like post black metal, but they haven't forgotten how to be evil in that like it's it needs post black metal that is fucking intense and dark at the same time, and it will be soaring and stirring as much as it is like scathing, and that is a flavor that I love in their records. I've seen them a few times. I would say this is maybe one of the better times I've seen them live, because I do sometimes associate them with being a band who like tech issues and sound wise and stuff. It hasn't always like sound systems haven't always gotten there, you know, clause around it completely in the way that you would hope in these times that I've seen them, But this one was pretty good in that regard, Like, you know, again having the keyboard tracks and stuff like that, they were coming through pretty well, along with obviously the pure for oce intensity of the band, like playing confrontly on stage with the nut so blasting drummer and all that stuff. And they played, you know, quite a bit off the most recent record, which I liked very much. When they came out into last year, they specific I remember them. They played that song Aos of It, which is the one that has like basically the behemoth riff, like the most like blackened evil, furious riff on that that song really hit like a tree. And then as they have kind of a chosen to, you know, fall back onto doing generally closing on the track alf Brook, which is the first song on Finished Deer, which is like their classic record. I think I'm never mad about seeing that live, like the journey that takes you on the choirs that they layer in and this like just ten minute, sprawling, fucking rocket to the moon. You know that you're just sat atop when that song's playing out, fucking wicked. And again they had a really good and people who are visibly like they're for them and into it and even singing it along and stuff during those choir wald parts. Stuff as well was really really good. So enjoyable start to day with deveg Fry. Then I did my first of several, as I said, runs back and forth because I went from the electric boar room up to the roundhouse because I wanted to see what it's like seeing in the roundhouse. Grave miasthma, who are if you are a real underground death metal ahead, then you might well be familiar with Graving Asthma because they are one of the more important bands from the late noughties going into twenty ten's in terms of helping to really, you know, set up this kind of cavernous, evil, esoteric, really underground death metal movement. Like they're a quite seminal band for a small sub sector of death metal basically, and you know, they are a UK band, so they are they do be about, but they're not meant to play the Roundhouse. That's fucking weird. Like they are a two hundred cap venue band. And when I saw that they were opening the main stage in the Roundhouse, like that is so strange. I have to say that because you're never I don't know if they've ever had the opportunity to play a venue like that before. They certainly won't be playing the Roundhouse again, imagine unless they get But for an insinuation in a future year, seeing Grave of Aasma in the Roundhouse, it was what I imagined in that they're not meant to play the Roundhouse because big massive venue again sort of obviously in the round type sound for what is one of the mustiest death metal bands I think you could imagine right then it doesn't. It's not a perfect translation, right, So you know it was this as good as when I've seen Gravey Asba playing a more appropriate venue. No, it wasn't, but it was really novel being like, that's fucking grave miasthma. What are they doing playing this stage that I associate with against bands like I don't know, fucking architects or whatever in the twenty tens playing places like the Roundhouse, like really wild, very cool to see ran back because when I said that, there were things that got added to this that made it unmissible for me. Really, the thing that made it so was when they added A Feather and Bone onto bill, which talking about the greatest death metal bands of the last like ten to fifteen years, I would put a Feather and Bone based on their two albums that are actually death metal album which are their latest two albums, I would put them in that category. I love this band and you know, long time listeners. I spoke to a couple at the festival may remember back in kind of my early days a team, and I'm really talking about the record that they put in twenty eighteen and just be like this band fucking rip. They're so insane. And the followup record that came out in twenty twenty, like Peak Covid, really fucking awesome as well, but Feather and Bone vanished basically where again they put out that record like Peak Covid, so obviously weren't playing live for support or anything like that, and then just seemed to like just disappear into hibernation for a while while you know, the first half of the twenty twenties played out, and this is their first like reappearance really certainly over here on the side of the Atlantic in kind of that time. And I have also a personal like cross to bear with this. In the in twenty nineteen, so off the back of the Bethel Hymns of Perversion record, they played what I think is their only UK show prior to this, which is they played in London with Too Mold and another death metabow called ritual Necremancy. And I was going to that show, but unfortunately my bus I think it was London Fashion Week or something something. There was really fucking heavy traffic in the London area and my bus got stuck in traffic for ages, so much so that I got to the show late and missed a Feather and Bone and I got there for two mold and I watched it Ritual Necromancy as well, but I had missed arguably the band I was like most excited to see on that show. And then like six months later COVID happened, and Feather and Boats vanished from existence for a while basically, and this seven years almost after that show, is the first time I have had to rectify that that horrible experience of missing that band. So as soon as they got adit Incineration, but I was like, Okay, I have to go, like, that's the thing that they're not adding any shows around it, so that's the thing I've got to be there for. And my god, those seven years of waiting after that, you know, mishap experience very very very much paid off here because this is and it's not just me as well, because I have that particular sort of relationship with it where they are a bound who I've really championed and then unfortunately missed all this kind of stuff. But I kind of heard mutterings after the fact where I think they went down as one of the like bands of the weekend who stole it. Really like Dragon to Sun Like are what Dragon to Sun Like are, and people will reliably be wowed by that. But I don't think people quite knew how sick a feather Abote were going to because they've not been around here, right, people haven't built up the relationship. This was fucking insane, like they were so genuinely I think one of the fastest, heaviest death metal shows I've ever seen. Like it was so it was like being saort aid. It was so intense, considering like a gravenasthma in the roundhouse, not you know, necessarily equipped for a death metal type show sound system in the underworld for a feather and bone right close quarters, just being beaten into a pulp by a band who I have again when we spoken about their records, spoken about them how they are kind of a band where they play and you go, oh, other death metal bands are pussies, like they're just they're just like no one. No one is playing as like fast and hard as they are playing outside of a pisc Grave, right, who are now? You know? Now pis Grave seem to have you know, sailed off into the great death metal beyond a Feather and Bone arguably the hardest death thattal band in the world right now, I would say, And the live performance for me perfectly translated that three piece with this like really powerful stance, imposing bassist, vocalist at the front, a guitarist on the side, and then a drummer at the back. Who, my fucking god, that man can blast like full on ear is exploding with every stroke of that snare drum, and he was hitting it probably damn fast. It was so brutalizing, Like these are a set mixed off thegue and the latest two records, which are both just so intense and so fast. And it was one of those where you know, with the people I was with, and even in just the crowd in general, just every time they were kicking to something, you look back and forth and go, oh, how fucking sick is this? Just so everyone could just sense that again, many people have seen many many death metal shows, right that occasionally you see a band who are a step above just in terms of that fucking turn of pace and that agro, that vitriolic aggression, And that's what I connected within the featherumone records, and it is so so they're in the live show as well. They were fucking so good, like sober, Like I said, Dragon to some lightter a band who you expect that level of brilliance from. But in terms of like coming away going, oh my god, did you see that? A Feather and Bone for me was like the set of the Weekend. It was just so furious as well as again the latest two records, which fucking baptized in boiling flen right, the hardest, sickest like shit to go along with what they're doing. They played a new song as well, and so they're like, you know, becoming record. I imagine is now the death metal record that I am like most looking forward to for the foreseeable future, you know, And I hope that when that comes they can kind of re enter the conversation basically because like I said, they had that sick record in the late twenty tens dropped another record mid COVID, but things got lost because that's kind of what happens in mid COVID, right, But now you know, so much has happened in death metal in the last six seven years, and if they emerge with another record, I really hope that that puts them more more people's radars who have maybe come to death metal in the last like, you know, handful of years, because this felt like a really big like welcome back, you know, like a band who basically disappeared during the COVID time, but in terms of reinserting themselves into the death motal conversation, this was fucking awesome. Cannot wait for the record A Feather and Bone. If you don't know them, if this is your first time hearing about them, because maybe you didn't hear that record from six years ago, just this is the time to get on board because it's so intense, so brilliant. I went from there. I tried to go and watch a bit a Final Dose because they were in the black Heart, and that I stayed to the very end of Feather and Bog, because of course I did. That was what I was really there for. Ran as soon as they were you know, maybe I didn't run, but you know I walked with swiftness as soon as they were done around the corner to the black Heart, and it had immediately filled up and become like a one in one out situation with the que So I did not see Final Dose. I'm gonna I know that they've got several shows lined up over the course of the year, so I'm sure I can catch them elsewhere, But like, I think they've got a real you know, in this type crowd, there's buzz that's built with Final Dose based on the kind of thing that we were talking about last year, So I think, you know, they were definitely drawing crowds and drawing haird nothing in a small venue like the black Heart that filled up very quickly, but you know, it's nice to see people being so into them, right, particularly when you think about you we've got Damnation coming up, and they're supporting Wolf and the Thrown Room and Worm on that tour around dan Dation, Like that's fucking cool. So I didn't see any Final Dose sadly. I'm definitely gonna make sure I can at another show later in the year, but it was nice to see that the room filled up so quickly for them. I suppose the upside of missing Final Doses. I got to make sure I got to the Browndhouse, you know, fully there to see two molds you know about who I had seen before based on that twenty nineteen show, but another rare appearance. I think this might be their first UK show post COVID, which is pretty wild, like when you consider the the regularity that about like Blood and Cantation now come over to the UK with And I think you know that they're basically who Too Mold just like kind of second in line to in terms of the current you know, proggy death metal sort of stakes and popularity and stuff like that. They're much much rareer appearance. And I think that they were one where they got added to Incineration. Lots of people bought their ticket to see that, because how often see you tod Too Mold, right? And I know that again this was the slot where Dragon Sunlight had played just before, and I think there were a lot of people were like om and aar and like do I see Dragon Sunlight or do I, you know, run and get in there for Two Mold. I think there were probably some intentional crowd splitting going on, because those are arguably the two most like popular bands of at least the mid card of what Incineration was this year, So trying to not crowd everyone into one venue, I suppose I obviously, I I said, saw Drag already, so I went over and saw Two Mold and again a band I had seen before, but they have released one record since then. It was that very the most proggy one they'd done right a couple of years ago. I imagine we probably must be due with two Mold record within the next couple of years because it's been like three years at this stage. And it's nicely them back in the live environment, but really fun time seeing took again in the roundhouse. Pretty cool to see a band of this, you know statue in the underground film that place. The way they did was it as perfect sound wise as for example, seeing a feather and bone in the underweld because it's not built for it. No, it wasn't, but you did get enough of those like cavernous grooves from some of the earlier two more stuff like they played at least one song from the debut two Old record, which is like when I got into them, it was like, oh this band who they sound like Demelich right, and they've got that weird wonkey finish nature for it and going super old school with that was really nice. But then also the stuff I think really shone in this set considering the setting, was when they really let the prog go and Derek, who is one of the most expressive like death metal guitar players in the world right now doing those like sitting he's like the fucking I don't know, like the Joe Satriani of current death metal right the way he just turns up and lets these incredible, beautiful flourishes of like clean guitar work and stuff like that come out of the death metal songs. Was like really like sumptuous and absolutely music to the years, really really lovely, like it was the only music I heard all weekend, really incineration that I would describe as nice, like it was a nice time. And that's from the band called two Mold. You know, Two Molt. Whole thing is that they basically don't look cool like they are, like they are very lovably just a bunch of guys, kind of a bunch of kind of dorky looking guys, basically to the extent that when some people may remembered this when their last record came out, they were on the cover of Decibel for that record, and it's just these three guys all wearing like tiny little shorts and wearing like, you know, video game t shirts or whatever. And it kind of started discourse in certain death metal because of the people like, is this what we're allowing? There's death metal bands these days, like these guys who put no presentation into like looking tough or whatever. And you know, here no shots unfortunately this time, which was genuinely unusual, but like Derek was wearing a sting T shirt, I'm pretty sure. And then just like you know, jumping up and down with his little fucking bottle haircut and stuff. But like, really you can letting those incredible parts fly Canadian to the point that so too Mold have a singing drummer, which I don't know how many people who haven't seen them live are actually aware of that, but like the frontmount of two Mold is the drummer, which is you know, obviously always intensely impressive. And then he got these amazing guitarists and a bassis on either side of him, just you know, fully fucking virtuo sewing out. But when he was you know, singing and playing drums, he had some problem with like one of his symbols. They kept like falling down and he was visibly struggling with it a little bit in terms of like trying to continue the song, but also you know, fix what was going wrong with a kit, and so when one of the stage hands ran out and fixed it, he's like mid growl and playing these like intense tech tech death parts to be like you and just immediately let's out a Canadian thank you. Well continued back. It's like so Canadian. Even playing hyper intense technical death metal and growling at the same time will not stop you from thanking the stage hand who fixed your symbolstand But yeah, nice again reminder of how good Too Mold are Because you know, I hadn't seen them live in seven years. I'm sure for most people probably that was their first time seeing Two Old. I would hope if we get a record soon, I would hope they also returned to the UK with more regularity, because I can understand maybe again during the earlier half of this decade when we had the after effects of COVID and everything not appearing so much. But it'd be nice if, you know, more people got to see two more because they are such a popular band of that again kind of current demographic of death metal from there. Hung around in the roundhouse actually, and I saw the band Grave no Miasthma this time, just plain Old Grave, which is the Swedish death metal band, one of the original Swedish death metal bands, along with the likes of Entombed and Dismember and Unleashed and Grave aboud I've long been fond of They've never gotten as like you know, they've never had the crossover moment that for example, Entombed had, But I've always felt that Grave are maybe the most consistent of those bands, Like they just reliably released records that are fun and sick and deliver those that start of riff basically all the way through their career. But this time it was the I think the original lineup had, Like you know, they've had a few lineup change with people disappearing and whatnot, and the sort of the knock on effect of this, and they end up just getting the original lineup from like the late eighties back together, and so they were just playing an original lineup like early Years thing. And bizarrely, the one other time I've seen Grave was at the Netherlands Death Fest in twenty eighteen, when they also then had built it as a special Early Years like demos up to the first album set. So I've seen Grave twice and both times I've only seen music from up to about nineteen ninety two, right, And like I said, they are a very consistent band that I like some of their later records, but there is something just so sick about going back in time. But like, yeah, this is like the original Swedish death metal. No, you know, no non essential material, no excess anything like that, just like raw, fucking pomping, ripping, early hn two Swedish death metal. And they're fucking great at that, you know. Again, just basically a bunch of Swedish dads. But they're playing in the BrownHouse and they've got some pyros and that kind of starting to go up. And like I said, tracks from the first couple of albums, even the demos preceding the first album, which is to some filthy material. If you're into bands like either like Repugnant or whatever in like the last you know, twenty first century, then the early grave stuff is definitely to to go back for and enjoy. So a nice walk down memory lane once again to another early Year's Grave set from one of the great early death metal bands I did end up catching. I don't normally go incineration to the Electric Ballroom headliner because it happens right before the Rounhouse headliner and you know you have to run that kind of thing. I did end up seeing Plan To, but I saw a bit of hypocrisy Peter Tagrin's melodic death metal band, who were again in that slot. I've never been. This might be surprising. I've never been like a huge hypocrisy guy. Like. I think that they are a like Fie, a pretty fine band, like I always if they're on, I'm not mad about it. I think they've got a bunch of good material, good records they don't have. I would say a single record that I am like all in order and a door like one that I look at and go, that's an absolute fucking you know, extreme metal, underground metal classic. They've never connected with me quite in that way, but I will say, I mean considering again Peter as a as a producer and a thing. He's the vocalist on my favorite blood Bath album. Like, he does have his fingers in things that I absolutely love. But his actual main bands, like I've never been a fanatic about. But I like a POxy well enough. I know that I can catching a little bit of it, and I'm glad that I did because, like you know, again, not a band I would necessarily always be going to see, but like it was nice to tick them off essentially as a very long running respect to extream metal band. And they do have amongst the like Swedish melodic death metal bands, which is what they are. They don't really sound like the other ones, like they do have their own weird brand of it, Like they don't sound like in Flames or at the Gates, They don't sound like a moder math or Enemy or whatever. They have their own particular brand of it based around Peter's like very distinctive kind of barbed production sound that makes guitars sound really like mechanical and nechanized, but also it brings this like vastness and this kind of epic flavor, not in again a monomath like particularly like you know, heroic way, but just more like this kind of imposing grandeur about it with the extra layers of keyboards and stuff like that, and like it's very like reliably decent stuff. And I saw you know, maybe four or five songs of Hypoposim was like, okay, cool, like this is the Hypoxy live experience. Did that wandered back to the Roundhouse for the main proper headliner, which was Blood Fire Death, which is the all star you know black metal lineup Batha Retribute experience that has basically, you know, started up two or three years ago, you know, Norwegian festivals and Sandinnaviian festivals, the Imagine It world, and it has gradually been going everywhere else. I have discussed this on the show before because I saw it for the first time at Mystic Festival last year when I went to Poland. It was one of the things there that seemed the most almost kind of out of the ordinary, and that it wasn't playing in the UK right Like there was like, oh my god, you know this this big bath retribute thing is happening when I'm at this foreign festival. So I saw it there and I spoke about it there. We're going to revisit a discussion unfortunately we had there, which is the the lineup of the Blood Fire Death again. It's it's a bunch of people who have played in legendary black metal bands from from over the years. The lineup includes Eric from Latin as the vocalist. It includes Blasphema formerly of Mayhem on guitars, Ivar from Enslaved on guitars, Apollon who used being the More and also or a Noir and these type bands on bass. It has several revolving guest vocalists who also appear. So when I saw him last year, they had like Nurgel there, but also they frequently have Attila Chiha from Mayhem. Gruteal from enslaved Gal was there for this one which which was cool, which was again he wasn't there when I saw it last year. The drummer of this is Faust, the original old drummer of Emperor, has been around in many bands over the last couple of decades and again last year when we spoke about the Mystic Festival thing, I was, you know, I was very tentative, right, and I was very wary of that being such a topic that is so you know, close to the bone for so many people. If you are not aware. Faust again, the original drummer Emperor was sentenced to prison and convicted when he was about eighteen years old or something like that for the murder of a gay man. And he went to prison and served his time there and he's now like in his fifties and since his emergence he has you know, basically walked back into the button nel scene and has played in many bands, many original bands, but now he I think he most often turns up on people's radars, I suppose, and gets headlines. Sometimes he has appeared with Emperor, and he has again. He's the full time drummer here of the Blood Fire Death tribute band for Bathory. And it's such a difficult I am so so of how upsetting that is, right, because it's this difficult balance that I find talking about this kind of thing of believing and hoping for and wanting reform essentially, and the idea of someone who might well have done something terrible, like absolutely heinous, should never be allowed to forget they did that atrocious, but is then able to rehabilitate themselves. That's something that I have belief in, and that's something that I think if we don't have belief in that, then what's the point in any of it? You know, That's what all the stuff should be kind of aimed around, versus not letting people forget these crimes, right, and how that makes people feel, particularly in terms of the message that's sent out there. Because the thing with Faust is, from time to time in interviews and stuff like that he has expressed remorse for what he did, and I don't fundamentally, I don't believe Faust to be like an active danger in the current metal set right, Like he's been there for decades now basically being a pretty chill guy. But it's the I think what people might consider the appropriate gestures of like a much larger nature, like really like fully making a even if he has express remorse in you know, small fucking fans in interviews here or there or whatever, making a full on, like the public show of repenting and basically setting the standard for everyone else. You know, that's kind of what you'd hope for. I suppose it's like making sure that this kind of thing is never allowed to happen again. And so there is this struggle of again wanting to allow people to be better and to reform themselves and all of that versus what I am very very conscious of, which is people in marginalized communities who have experienced crimes like these against their communities basically being heard and being like you know, feeling seen and making sure they feel safe at these tup shows and stuff like that. And that is the that is the real struggle there. And I basically, I never want to approach anything like this and not acknowledge that conversation and acknowledge the wide breadth of feeling that there can be on that Does it change things at all? This performance also featured possibly the most prominent outwardly gay man in extreme metal, in Gull. I don't know, and it's not really for me to say. Like I said, that is just the facts of how it is. It's a very again complicated, I totally understand, very upsetting dilemma. But I never want to speak about anything like this and as I say, not make people are really aware of it, you know, and not acknowledge it if you are able to reconcile that and how personally you feel about that dilemma. The blood Fire eth Bathory tribute experience. I did speak about it last year. This was the first UK appearance of it, so I think a lot of people who had been eyeing up these experiences, this, you know, huge spectacle essentially for the black metal world abroad. Again it places like Beyond the Gates or whatever, wondering if it could appear in the UK. This was a pretty huge get for Incineration as the first, possibly only UK appearance of this like full on Bathory experience. And what was special thing about this one is that, like I said, I'd already seen it at Mystic, but it was looking around me at people who hadn't seen it before, like just with this look of like disbelief on their face and kind of the look of magic about it. Because Bathory, by rights, we should be seeing that music on stage played by the guy who made it right and Kawforn never played Bathory live. It was a studio and experience, but there was I think at times there was talk about if they were to bring it to the stage, and that's kind of the almost the the guy that this band has like followed as like how would we present bath three music on stage if it was to go there. But in terms of like formative music, the way that you can go and see Metallica playing Kill Them All songs, and you can see Trypticon playing Celtic FROs songs, and you can go see Slayer or whatever like this is like base level formative, essential ground zero for you know, the direction that heavy metal goes type stuff. And so seeing this material that for many people is like the most formative black met material they can imagine played on stage for the first time because it's never been done before, at least to this you know, level of like legitimacy, because it's basically like, yeah, it's a tribute band, but it's like an officially licensed tribute band featuring players who are very integral to that scene. Right, So seeing it presented with this level of legitimacy, people can't quite believe it, Like it's like, what do you mean, I'm seeing Bathary songs like it's fucking crazy in a huge venue with again Pyro and all of this stuff, and it, like you material from those like classic eighties run of records that is like again ground zero black metal. It's pretty unbelievable and opening with a Fine Day to Die, as they often have been doing on this But when I saw it last year, a mystic it was the front of room and slave who sang that, But here it was Ghl, which is another wonderful thing, was girl being present, not just here but at the festival. We were stood in the alley outside the Black Heart like before the He's eventually kicked in and Gahl walked down the street and you could tense, like you could sense that everyone in this alley, was like, it is that girl, because he's this very tall, imposing, striking looking man. Just he carries this like proper level of star power around it wherever he goes. But him singing A Fine Day to Die was really intense, particularly because girl one of the most vocally capable of inhuman things black mett all singers, and he hit at one point in this what I could only describe as like a black metal Mariah whistle note, to the point where he like, you know when singers like hold their like finger to their head as if they're trying to hit a certain note. I'm not again, I'm not capable or proficient enough to really know what that is. But he did one of those and hit like a whistle scream. It was so weird, and I was like, I can't believe a man is making that noise. But girl hitting that what an absolute fucking icon incredible. But then there's deeper for real. But then you know Eric from Wattin being almost like the chair of how his experience goes, and he is I think amongst black met vocalists, he's uniquely equipped to like making you feel like this stuff is real, Basically like in how he speaks to the audience, like they played the song for those who died by Bathory obviously, and he was like, this is a song it's basically about like witch burnings and stuff like that. And he was like, this is a song for our like our mothers and sisters of the Black Hand. May we you know, it's like you may we always remember them? Like he really made a full fucking thing basically as if like we are there in that moment. Whereas for that that song and that kind of subject matter for many people could be very kitch you know what I mean, and just very sort of again sort of fantastical. But he, like Eric I think, is one of the best battle Front man at making you believe everything, just being like this is like real, you know, like this is the continuum we're in. Uh grew up from enslaved, did do you know some stuff as well. Attila Chiha from Mayhem was there as well. I'm fascinated by the logistical finances of this in terms of like when you book a band for a festival and there's five members, right, and you fly them all out and they all play at Tilla and again from a Slaves and they all seem to be like a part of this full time almost but they only appear to do a song or two. And I'm fascinated by the logistics of like who's book Like what how much do you get paid for this? Like are you booking your own flight? Like how the Bathary tribute show? Like camp of like how many people are on this rider or whatever? Because it's like ten musicians who seem to be going wherever they go, and obviously it's the big headline draw at the festival. But I am that sort of the logistics of who is who is not like a full time member of this thing where they're doing one song or two songs or whatever, is really the kind of behind the see stuff you don't think about. But I was intrigued by that. But a tilla from Mayhem Sporting, I must say at the moment one of the strangest hairstyles. It's a hairstyle that no human before him has ever had. I think, like you know the one I mean shown you. It's it's a real spectacle.
Speaker 2: This hair, oh his hair island.
Speaker 1: It's so weird. So I don't even know how to like describing it without seeing a picture. For you It's so weird because it's not like a normal haircut. Basically, he's bold apart from the hair that's like growing like above his ear basically like that level of hair line. He has let that grow and he styled it and curled it around the top of the crown of his head like imagine like a twirly mustache. But it's coming from the hair directly like that grows directly above your ear line, and he's looked it round. He looks like a monk from an alien planet. It's so insane because it's hair that no one has ever had before. And is it hair that I recommend anyone has? No But I do recommend that Attila Chiha has it because at Tilla has to look like an insane person because Attilla he carries this aura of one of the most maverick idea. I don't know what's going on in your mind, people, imaginable And do I recommend that your average lamor and sports his hairstyle. Absolutely not. It's terrible. But I am so happy and so glad that Atila has this hair because no one could rock it and get away with it the way that he does through pure freak aura.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you say, no one else, but the guy who whenever I see pictures of him is usually screaming into a skull. Yeah that that guy have it. He should have this fucked up like coln Olver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, someone who has spent so many decades finding new weird ways to present himself and new looks and stuff like that. Like he's like, I don't know when people talk about David Bowie being a chameleon, a man of a thousand looks or whatever, like this is like that for people with like literal skeletons under their bed, Like it's and God bless him for continuing to find new ways to look and present himself as outwardly bizarre. But him singing this stuff is always incredible because he just has the most fucked up though. It's so brilliant. And there's this brilliant thing with this Bathory show where you can look around and there's so much shared history between the players as well, Like there's the fact that it's Bathory songs, which is so important, and these are songs that kind of unite everyone on stage basically in being like almost the songs that got them into this thing. Basically the songs that at least set the template for what their bands are going to do. But then there's so much individual shared history and seeing Attila from Mayhem come out and he goes over and he's danding next to Blasphema, who used to be in Mayhem, and it's like those two together, it's like, Oh, that pair those guys wrote Auto ad Ko, like that one specific weird record that I have such a love affare with, Like that's the creative pair of minds on there together that produced that record. Who are there? Played this Bathory song or Woman of Dark Desires towards the end, which is one of the big Bathory bangers, right, like the real the ones that people know the words to. Normally, Eric from Matane is the main singer for that song, but Attilla just appeared. I think I don't know if he was meant to. I think he might have just wandered out, because I hear him like off stage doing his weird gurgle. I was like, where's that coming from? But then he appeared, and there's Eric from Wattine and Attila from Mayhem, who are basically like my two favorite black metal front men standing together singing this old classic Bathory song like it's just there's there is something really magical about that. I can't express how much like how exciting is for a black metal show to be a few songs in and be like, oh my god, here's Grutle from Enslaved, you know, here's a tiller chee harm on, here's Ghal like it's it is a big spectacle in that regard, And I said, ending on as they always do the song blood Fire Death, and you get the whole full fucking like like sparklers coming from the top of the roundhouse ceiling and stuff like that. They had a few like tech problems compared to when I last saw them, where like the drum microphone just repeatedly like a few times in the set to shat it and there'd be like a minute where you would only hear like the I guess, the organic tone of the drums without the amplification. But then it would come back on and yeah, like I said, for me the second time seeing the Bathory set, a couple of different guests, a couple of different songs, you know, added and removed based from last time, based on maybe what guests are around. I don't know what they're deciding to do, but the first time in the UK, and like I said, seeing lots of people who Bathy clearly runs in their veins. Getting to see that for the first time was again quite a memorable experience in itself. And that was the end of Incineration Festival for twenty twenty six. Again, don't know what they'll have next year, who knows if our be there or not, but I'm always at least intrigued by what is appearing on Incineration. Everyone who got Sea Dragon Sunlight for the first time this weekend, I hope that it lived up to everything that we were picking it up as I can't imagine it didn't because what the fuck is wrong with you and the real again eyes on the horizon for it. For me, what comes next is a Feather and Bone with a new record like because that was just we were being cooked, we were being like absolutely meets tender eyed. It was fucking mentally. They were brilliant. So yeah, cheers for everybody go hung out over Incineration Festival. Thank you Mark for joining me here and listen to me talk a little while. I spoke about the Scimitar show that ripped in it, so good stuff there cheers everybody for listening. We will be back next week Big show Wise are obviously at some point in May we'll have a reviews bag, but we are going to be looking to putting together our next part of our Corn Special. Over on the Patreon right now you can hear our brand new album Club Special, which features the likes of bringing the Horizon Municipal Waste Roller to Massy and the brilliant, brilliant band Caladan Brude Festival season I supposed you know, Incineration Festival arriving at the very beginning of May is almost just the starter of like the events coming thick and fast, right So over the next few months, we've got Fortress, We've got Outbreak and a new two thousand Trees will come and go, download will come and go, all sorts of kicking up over the twenty twenty sixth summer, but we will be here to talk you through how we see it. So yeah, cheers, everybody. Please leave us a rating and a review on your whatever you're listening to us on right now, Apple, Podcast, Spotify or whatever. It does help us out. It does again boost the algorithm, and I know we all fucking hate algorithms. I hate algorithms that we have to play and if we're going to at all get out there and reach people, so please do leave us a nice positive rating and review. If you are so inclined, it does help otherwise. We'll be back next week with more of this good stuff. Cheers everyone, Bye play for those Dolphins Man