Speaker 1: Welcome friends.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole, I'm Ben, and you're listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: And Grim at True Crime podcast morning my podcast contract listener. Just watch.
Speaker 2: And you can probably hear our tiny home vibrating away. Oh man, we got well.
Speaker 1: I think we dropped that. We got a washer and dryer. But it's literally like when it's spinning that we are, like at a train station or something.
Speaker 2: It pretty much vibrates our whole house because it's so small, so it sends of vibrations through the entire thing. So if you're hearing vibrations, it is a poorly planned laundry day mixed with recording for the podcast.
Speaker 1: I won't do that again.
Speaker 2: But to get through that, I have this boom.
Speaker 1: And I'm drinking. I freaking made this shit myself, a chy t latte made made.
Speaker 2: With oat milk, with oat milk, like, look at me go not because we don't have milk. We are lucky that we have milk right now. We're not sure if you guys have seen the news recently on living in British Columbia. Yeah, but there is some disasters down near the Vancouver and Okanagan region where flooding is rampid crazy floods. It's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like if you see aerial shots or whatever, like barns and stuff are almost like practically underwater.
Speaker 2: Yep. Farms are flooded, animals are drowning. Road Vancouver is completely cut up off. All the roadways heading north for British Columbia I have all washed out the highways everything. So people are mad rush buying at grocery stores panicking, but they're fucking idiots because all of our groceries come primarily east over in Alberta and none of those roadways are cut off. Yeah, so people are.
Speaker 1: Just are still ways to get up here. It's like, I don't know that just almost shows because as people say, like Vancouver is BC, it's like now everyone's showing that. Yeah it is. Oh my gosh, we can't get to Vancouver. We better go buy everything in the.
Speaker 2: Grocery store exactly. And there's reports of people buying like ten jugs of milk, Yeah, ten jugs of milk, so like I'm four leaders or if you're in the state's gallons, so ten gallon jugs of milk and currently and it's gonna be like this for the next few days until just trucks come in. Because they are coming in, there is no produce, There is no meat, There is hardly any dairy to purchase.
Speaker 1: The shelves are like barren at the store. It's really eer reaction.
Speaker 2: And a stupid funny because in an apocalypse setting, what gonna go do? Buy the perishable shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, are you fucking prepared?
Speaker 2: You go for things like rice, beans, oats, canned food, the non perishables that will last.
Speaker 1: We bought one extra little bag of rice.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's it, because rice goes a long fucking way and it lasts for fucking ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does.
Speaker 2: The only reason we bought that rice was just in case people are stupid enough that they purchased the whole fucking grocery stores and we just need something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so that's that's that's what we're dealing with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're just like a pound of rice. We're good to go.
Speaker 1: I have no idea if that if Canada News is if it is shown much in the US, like yeah, it's been going worldwide, Okay, Okay, Yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So to all you guys out there who are just learning on where we live, we live in Northern British Columbia, and it's.
Speaker 1: Chaos right now, but not as chaos as it is down so well, yeah, where the floods are actually happening. It's just people up here being dumb exactly.
Speaker 2: But in the summer BC deals with forest fires and now apparently in the winter it's rampaging floods.
Speaker 1: You can't get a break.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well that aside that, we do have some good news to share. We are actually a little bit ahead of schedule. Yeah, so good job to you me.
Speaker 1: It's only because I'm going away though, that's true.
Speaker 2: But still rather than recording the last minute.
Speaker 1: It's like a week ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, high five to that. Maybe we can actually relax a little bit rather than panicking to get some research.
Speaker 1: It actually feels kind of nice. I'm not gonna lie, so I would like to try doing this going for it.
Speaker 2: Oh but we do have currently one patron to thank because we're halfway through the week. There's probably there might be another one or two that pop up in the meantime. You'll be thanking next episode if that is the case. But Kyla Snyder, thank you very much for being a patron on our patreon.
Speaker 1: I love that name actually right.
Speaker 2: She signed up print all Access patreonage.
Speaker 1: So thank you.
Speaker 2: You're awesome. Thank you very much, Kyla. You're the bomb the bomb dot com, the bomb dot.
Speaker 1: That's so cool to say. I don't think so, I don't know.
Speaker 2: All I know is on Wicked Andgrim dot com. You may be finding merch coming soon.
Speaker 1: Okay, whoa, I didn't even plan that ship. That was super good.
Speaker 2: We fucking rule holy shit. Yeah, I'm actually working on drawing up designs right now. I've had a couple like sketches done out before. I'm solidifying some designs right now. So hopefully in the next coming weeks, maybe two three weeks tops, we should have stuff on our website so you can purchase some stickers t shirts that sort of think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because if you didn't know, Ben's like about as creative as you can get, and he is very artistic and he's drawing the ship up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a bit of an artsy, fartsy individual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're awesome.
Speaker 2: I like to say I'm I'm an amateur artist.
Speaker 1: I think you're just awesome. I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I think I'm pretty fucking awesome too.
Speaker 1: I think it works great.
Speaker 2: Thank you. You ready to move on.
Speaker 1: Though, Oh my goodness, I'm like all of a sudden nervous because this case is just like eek, I almost don't want.
Speaker 2: To do it anymore, ready for this one? Because you been trembling over researching this one's aura throughout the house.
Speaker 1: Well thanks, just a little like storm crowded cloud above our tiny home this week because of this case.
Speaker 2: Apparently there's been a storm cloud every time we research. It seems like just because I mean, it's dark. Shit, it's depressing. Ship.
Speaker 1: I know, I need to come up with some way of like decompressing actually after I research maybe yeah, so maybe i'll sart. Yeah, you know what I should bake after I do heavy care.
Speaker 2: You should?
Speaker 1: That'd be amazing.
Speaker 2: You can bake and I can drink and you can eat it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the case that I'm covering, I can't remember if we dropped a hint.
Speaker 2: We did to our patrons, I think.
Speaker 1: But it's so it's Luca Magnata, Luca Magnada saying that name is kind of fun.
Speaker 2: And this was based off the Netflix documentary.
Speaker 1: We're going to get into all that.
Speaker 2: It's not based off in Netflix.
Speaker 1: There is a Netflix.
Speaker 2: There is a Netflix documentary based on this case. Gotcha?
Speaker 1: Okay, So I've actually had this case on my list for some time now, ever since I did the Barbie and Ken killer's case. Because there will be some mention of Carla Homolka in this case, okay, and there's mention of some similarities. This case has the to the Dexter killer case that I also covered way back in episode seven. Oh sweet. It's not a lot, but basically killers using social media to their advantage to find victims, and then how it also opens up their audience globally, just like the internet's a dark, terrible place.
Speaker 2: Oh it's fucking dark as shit.
Speaker 1: It's like scary.
Speaker 2: But I have a question, or not a question, more so a statement. Sure, actually kind of a question everyone out there who's listening right now? Are you aware that there was a new season of Dexter coming out? And are you excited as we are for it? Okay?
Speaker 1: I was like, we're so fucking okay, I think it's already out? Is it not my now? And here you're like, we're so excited, we don't even know it's out.
Speaker 2: Are you fucking kidding? I thought it was just the were No, it's not I can't it is you need to google that? Are you serious?
Speaker 1: Well? And was it a whole series or just one episode?
Speaker 2: Oh it's a new season. Oh shit, really as far as I'm aware. Oh okay, I'm typing this up right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I might as well as should. I just wait for you to get this ship together here, because you're pretty dang excited about the Dexter. Actually i'm too. I'm I think I was more obsessed with Dexter than you were.
Speaker 2: I think you might have been actually.
Speaker 1: Like, I love it, love it.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, shit.
Speaker 1: It's out, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it not? But it's not. We don't get that station or whatever. I don't know how to get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not too sure the station. But yeah, it started releasing on the seventh. I thought it. Wow, I thought it was like coming soon. Not sure it.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well we're going to be watching that.
Speaker 2: I gotta blow my nose because I'm sniffling. So can we pause this for one sec then get into your case?
Speaker 1: Done?
Speaker 2: Cool? Okay, I'm good. Wait am I unplugged?
Speaker 1: I can't hear anything?
Speaker 2: Test? Test? Okay, there we go, We're good. Sorry, headphonees unplugged.
Speaker 1: We're good now, Okay, we're back.
Speaker 2: Okay, so nose is blown, dexter research done, we're plugged back in, we can hear.
Speaker 1: So we're ready to go.
Speaker 2: Eight, let's go onto your case.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, what a roller coaster. Okay, So who is Luca Magnada? Well, do tell We like to cover the victim story as much as possible, and we will be. But don't be confused because Luca is not the victim in this case, but rather literally one of the most disgusting human beings I've ever learned about, like disgusting cool beans.
Speaker 2: I'm intrigued. I'm terrified actually by that premise. But here we go.
Speaker 1: Luca was born on July twenty fourth, nineteen eighty two, in Scarborough, Ontario. At the time of his birth, he was known as Eric Clinton Kirk Newman. It wasn't until two thousand and six that he changed his name to Luca Magnada. He's the eldest of three children. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about it, but like in many of the cases we cover, he didn't have the best upbringing. I feel like we literally say that pretty much every time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's kind of sad. It's an unfortunate almost it seems like a prerequisite at this point.
Speaker 1: I no, it's really sad. His parents split when he was very young, Luca going to live with his grandma and grandpa, but then they would also later split, so he was like he went through two divorce divorces in a family.
Speaker 2: I guess, gotcha.
Speaker 1: He was homeschooled for a period of time to protect him from the outside world, as he was told it was dirty and dangerous.
Speaker 2: Well that's not inaccurate. I mean, it's pretty fucking dirty and dangerous.
Speaker 1: But I just find that I don't know, I think it might have been from his grandma that said that. But I find that, like so incredibly ironic because considering he went and made the world like way more dirty and dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough, Okay, so I'm just.
Speaker 1: Like, No. He did attend high school from nineteen ninety eight to two thousand, and was remembered by teachers and classmates as having an obsession over his appearance.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's a little pretty boy, you know, likes to look good. There's nothing wrong with had I mean, there isn't.
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong, But I think he was like, you will get more into it. He's like obsess. Luca did have high hopes of being famous one day and had wanted to be an actor, but when that didn't seem to pan out for him, he went a different route. In two thousand and two or two thousand and three, somewhere in that area, he would start stripping at Remington's, which is a nightclub in Toronto.
Speaker 2: Ooh, little Chippendale actions Hey.
Speaker 1: He also would appear in some porn films as a straight man turned to gay, adopting the name Jimmy, which would also be his name working through a male.
Speaker 2: Escort service, Jimmy, gotcha, Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy, Little Jimmy. I don't know if that's a great escort name, Little Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Oh, I guess not.
Speaker 2: Maybe Big Jimmy.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and four is what so okay, sorry. Two thousand and four is when Luca's basically like assholeness really starts to shot.
Speaker 2: Ahold, okay, his assholeness, I'm.
Speaker 1: Until this point, it's not like horrific. So what happened is he befriended a twenty one year old woman and convinces her to apply for credit cards to then go and rack them up himself. Unfortunately, this woman, however, had some sort of mental disability and had the mental capacity of an eight to twelve year old, so he fully knew that he was taking advantage of her.
Speaker 2: What a douche canoe like?
Speaker 1: That's brutal.
Speaker 2: It's one thing to take advantage of someone like that, but then to take someone take advantage of someone with a disability is like a jillion times worse.
Speaker 1: He racked up neither nearly ten thousand dollars worth of credit card debt.
Speaker 2: Wow, what what a dick?
Speaker 1: He does get charged with fraud. But the real kicker with this incident is that he apparently also videotaped him sexually assaulting this woman. But those chargers were dropped before the case went to trial, and I don't know why, but they were dropped, His lawyer later saying the decision changed the course of Luca's life immeasurably, with huge ramifications to our society eventually inevitably. Sorry, Okay, this like if I feel like if he got had to serve justice for that, this restless case could potentially be a lot differently, or history could.
Speaker 2: Be understandable or understandable. I wonder if, because of the way the case actually turned out, if he I don't know how to grudge or something towards society for the sentence he did serve, or the label he had put on him for what he did sort of thing and made him worse because of it.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I just think maybe if he got like help that he needed, if he didn't end up going to jail or whatever, there could have been some rehabilitation gotcha that time. And like that's just my thought, But I don't know.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Yeah, And hopefully that anyone who does undergo any sort of imprisonment or sentencing like that, they do get the rehabilitation they need.
Speaker 1: But I know so. In two thousand and five, Luca pleads guilty and is convicted of four fraud charges. He has only given nine months of community service and twelve months of probation. It was revealed, however, in a medical report that Luca had significant psychiatric issues. As the judge was issuing his sentence, she said to Luca, you have a medical problem and you need to always take medication. If you do not, your life is going to get messed up.
Speaker 2: Wow. If that's not foreshadowing. I know, Hey, there's a lot of times that we talk about cases too where people are off their medication, right, goes out, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like, who who's forcing them to take this their medication?
Speaker 2: Can you for someone?
Speaker 1: You can't, but they need to be medicated, or their life, like she said.
Speaker 2: Is going to get messed up, or someone else's life.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that is some serious foreshadowing. I'm just letting you all, yeah.
Speaker 2: Fuck, And that's something you can't regulate that. You can't force someone to take that medication, even if you try, like say you do implement having to force them to take medication just for the sake of conversation. How the fuck are you going to implement that? How are you going to ensure someone takes their medication every day at fucking I don't know? Seven am.
Speaker 1: Well, I feel like unless they were in like a facility, exactly, you can't.
Speaker 2: So if you have someone who's just an everyday civilian, how are you going to implement that? Can't unless you get a microchip inside everyone through a vaccine.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, No, we're not even going there. That is just appalling.
Speaker 2: No, my bad, Luca.
Speaker 1: Continues, to appear in low level porn films, and also appears in Fab Fab magazine, which is a gay bi weekly magazine from Toronto, appearing as Jimmy He's describes himself as a twenty two year old soccer fan born what born in Russia? I'm sorry, I know, I'm like, I'm boring you that.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's late, it's.
Speaker 1: Late, okay, twenty two year old soccer fan born in Russia, currently living in Toronto, with hopes of becoming a homicide police officer.
Speaker 2: Maybe take police officer out of there, just a homicide individual, homicidal.
Speaker 1: There's just so many like cringey things with this case. It's just like, oh my goodness. Okay. In early two thousand, Luca would meet and start dating a transgendered woman named Barbie. Their relationship lasted several months, but Barbie ends up breaking up with Luca, saying he was basically obsessed with himself and obsessed with wanting to be famous. One day, his apartment was a shrine dedicated to himself.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so.
Speaker 1: Like not someone you would want to be in a relationship. Yeah, probably not, but I almost say that Barbie dodged a bullet because it would go just downhill from there, and like she didn't have to be a part of it. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is some irony in that though, because I mean Barbie stereotypically having that like perfect me sort of image, you know, as it's Barbie's history anyways. Yeah, and then Barbie saying that you're too obsessed with yourself.
Speaker 1: I guess I never thought of that. Okay, So to talk more about Luca's obsession with himself because it was strong, mighty strong, and his session with getting famous. He auditions for the reality shows Cover Guy and Plastic Makes Perfect.
Speaker 2: Plastic Makes Perfect.
Speaker 1: Apparently that's the show. I don't I meant to look that up. I don't know if that's still a show, but I'm just.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I think we can assume what that means.
Speaker 1: Again, I think there's still shows out there like that.
Speaker 2: Again, to each their own. It's definitely not my forte.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm not I'm not against anyone getting plastic surgery. I don't know if I personally would, but like it can go too far too.
Speaker 2: I think boob jobs are good. Oh my god, I want to boo.
Speaker 1: You actually just say that. I know it's just okay, so where that cam? I I watch Okay, I watch these additions and it was like, I don't know, just listening to him speak and like talk, it was just crims really almost. It's one thing to have confidence, which I'm all for, but he had this just like arrogance about him with which I'm not into. Apparently neither with the judges, because he never got chosen for either of them. He tells Cover Guy judges that some people say, I'm devastt devstinittly good.
Speaker 2: Looking, devastatingly good looking.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, okay, that's an interesting way to like present yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, it's cover Guy, is what he was.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's selling himself, right, ye, he's.
Speaker 2: Selling himself to the job, like that's that's kind of the position.
Speaker 1: Right, and with the plastic makes perfect people. He tells them about are where Okay, whoa I wrote that? Oh? I wrote that way wrong. So he basically tells them that he's like all about his looks and he's about perfecting them. He's had an oh's job done, two hair transplants, and was planning on having muscle implants in his pecks and arms, okay, which is like so interesting because whenn't you just like like you just I don't even know if I should say this. I was like, you just go to the gym, right, and like tone up that I make them bigger.
Speaker 2: I have seen people with muscle implants, and to me, it's very obviously implants. But again, to each their own. If that's what they want, yeah, then I mean, go for it. It's not my thing.
Speaker 1: I've also seen an ass implants too. Was I with you? We were at like an airport. I was at an airport and stuff. I don't know, some person had ass implants and it was.
Speaker 2: Like whoa, like a good woe? No oh no, never mind. Then I was like maybe she got some cake. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well it was just like a little too much, gotcha.
Speaker 2: No, there's no such thing as too much.
Speaker 1: It was a little too much.
Speaker 2: There's no such thing as too much cake.
Speaker 1: Uh. And Luca's obsession to get famous, He also goes about creating an online persona for himself, and this is like beyond interesting, creating numerous fan pages about himself, and by numerous, I mean like hundreds, holy shit of fan pages. And then he goes one set further and creates fake fans to basically comment on these fan pages. So like each fan page I feel like only had like ten to twenty people in it. But if you read through enough comments on these fan pages, you start to see some similarities of the comments gotcha that were like written and it was pretty obvious that it wasn't It wasn't numerous people like leaving these comments. I don't know, I just think that's funny.
Speaker 2: Fake it till you make it. I guess, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Ciche tuche. This is also where we get to Carla Homoco. So he created a rumor that he was dating Carla because at this point, from what I could tell, there wouldn't be anyone else out there creating rumors about him. So he creates this rumor that he's dating Carla and then drops into the Toronto Sun talks to reporter Joe Warmington to basically deny the online rumors and talk about how they were destroying his life.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So yeah, he's trying to implement himself in some articles and get fame that way. Yeah, okay, I mean smart, I mean it's just.
Speaker 1: A serious like desperation to get attention. Really yeah, Like it's it's serious.
Speaker 2: I should I should clarify. It's not smart, it's crafty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's using his noodle. Yeah, so in twenty ten would be the year Lucago was a bit darker online. I don't want to talk about it. Up to this point, his fake fan pages weren't exactly hurting anyone, but what he does next is disgusting and basically something that I avoided learning about until this point. You may have heard about the Netflix three part series Here we Go, Don't Fuck with Cats. Yeah you haven't watched that, have you? No?
Speaker 2: I haven't. Have you watched it for the researching this? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately yeah, oh our fern is kicked in.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can hear that in our mics.
Speaker 1: But well, the title is unfortunately very accurate. I actually didn't even realize that the show was about Luca until I started researching. I knew of Luca's later events, but I did not know if anything I've already mentioned or what it's to come involving the cats and trigger warning, I'm about to talk about some extreme animal cruelty, which, oh my gosh, Okay, I avoid animal cruelty at all because it's just like I just can't.
Speaker 2: But here we are I get triggered by animal cruelty. Does that mean I can leave? Sure, I can go.
Speaker 1: I'll just talk to the people about it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm in it with you.
Speaker 1: I think i've but I'm pretty sure that I already told you because I had to get it off my chest.
Speaker 2: Did tell me one as far as I could.
Speaker 1: I just like I use like a cattle in anymore.
Speaker 2: The thing with animal cruelty is it's they're so defenseless. Not that many human victims or any human victims are or are not defenseless. We are like the saviors, or we are are the companions, we are all these things for animals. We choose so much for what their life is, so they are helpless to the situation and you just.
Speaker 1: Look into their little eyes and they're just so innocent. Sweet. It's just like, how could you hurt one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And so harming such innocence, it's it's it's disgusting. It's equivalent in my opinion, to harming an infant. Yeah, because there's nothing, but they rely on you for everything, and they're so weny.
Speaker 1: You are there, You're there everything, literally, you're there everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's it's equivalent to harming infants to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, here we go. So on December twenty ten, Luca uploads a video titled one Guy, Two Kittens. The video shows an identified man, Luca, but his face is never really shown, placing two kittens and one of the vacuum bags designed for storage that you can suck the air out of. So he places these two kittens in the bag, and you can imagine, attaches a vacuum to the bag and suffocates the kittens.
Speaker 2: This guy's a piece of shit, Like it's just.
Speaker 1: My heart is like sinking as I'm having to read that shit because it's just sotly shit.
Speaker 2: And this is something that I that I told you because this is the one thing you did tell me of the animal cruelty that he did, and I told you, So I'm going to talk about it with you guys as well.
Speaker 1: So no, we don't need to talk about that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm going to fair trigger warning on the animal cruelty. I'm going a little deeper into this vacuum ceiling. It's not that those cats would have just suffered suffocation. The vacuum ceiling process would have collapsed. Their lungs. It would have sucked the oxygen right out of their bodies. And their bodies so it's not just they suffocated, they were quite literally tortured as that auction was stripped from their lungs.
Speaker 1: Like a nasty human being. To have even someone think about doing something like that and then actually going and doing that to two innocent little creatures is just yeah, it's just disgusting. This guy I got We already are just done with him. We're just done. The video was apparently quickly removed because of its contents, but this is where it gets quite interesting. Though. Was quickly removed, but really, is anything actually removed from the Internet.
Speaker 2: On the Internet, it's always.
Speaker 1: There were many individuals who wanted nothing more than to track down this person and get justice for those kittens, because apparently you don't fuck with kittens.
Speaker 2: The Internet loves its kittens and puppies.
Speaker 1: I know. Hey. An online group was formed to seek the kitchen killer, and some of these people treated the sekh like it was their freaking job, like they were going to catch this mofo. It was Ryan Boy, a former US soldier, who formed the Facebook group which is called Find the Vacuum kitten killer for great justice. The article I was reading said about four thousand people had signed up, and I'm thinking that was just initially because I'm a creeper, and I went and searched for this group today and over three thirty thousand were part of the group. But I'm assuming like a ton of people probably went and joined after the Netflix. Yeah, doc came out right. Many people within the group using aliases to conceal their identity, including Luca himself of course, breaking bastard, it was believed at one point in time he was part of the group. I'm sure loving the attention his disturbing video was bringing to the Internet. A few days after the video is posted, a five thousand dollars award was posted from Rescue Ink in hopes of finding the animal abuser. As a founding member of the group put it, animal abuse is a gateway crime. When somebody starts to open that door, that's when things start to get very dangerous.
Speaker 2: I can imagine. It seems like a lot of prolific killers started off young with.
Speaker 1: Animals, which is disgusting, really disgusting. As the main group grew too large, a few of the main members branched off to form a new group of eleven members called the Animal Beta Project. Their number one goal to stop Luca before he kills again, and they meant business the time commitment they put into analyzing every detail in the kitten killing video frame by frame, finding out where the blanket on Luca's bed was from the vacuum he used, initially determining the unidentified man to be located in North America basically by those items and like they're also looking at like outlets on the wall and stuff, right, and that can kind of determine where someone's from. They did eventually an anonymous tip that the person they were looking for was Luca Magnata, and from then on they were able to have a focus. And because of Luca's obsession with himself and getting famous, there was not a lack of information out there about him, but not a lot of it was true either. They claimed that furniture and the kitten killer's clothing matched other images found that Luca had posted. The next struggle was finding where Luca lived, though, but they were able to find this too by using exchangeable image file data from pictures uploaded and posted by Luca that would tell them where the photo was taken. I like information attached the photo, right. Luca was pretty smart with these things, though, and seemed to cover his bases very well, often even misleading investigators down rabbit holes that didn't need to be visited, like he wanted to waste people's fucking time. But there are also hundreds of photos uploaded, and there was bound to be one that he forgot to take that day that dad off.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: They found one from October twenty ten, taken on a cell phone and stamped with a GPS locator, and it showed that Luca was located in the Toronto area, and with more digging, they were able to locate his apartment building and his address.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want this dude to be Canadian. Go somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want you, no kidding, But I'm really curious if it's going to be like these Internet sluices that are the ones knocking on his door, or if they're.
Speaker 1: Going to be No, they never got like that involved. They would just be presenting information to like authorities, I guess. Okay, So the group contacted the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals with all their findings, who then reached out to the Toronto Police and a file was opened on Luca and Bebrure of twenty eleven. However, nothing would come up. This what the police did, though, visit the address that Luca did live and he he was a resident there at one point, so I was thinking, what's the word resident? He was a resident there at one point, but apparently he had since moved to Russia, so their hands were basically tied.
Speaker 2: Had he actually moved to Russia?
Speaker 1: He had? Actually there was like a new tenant in there, and so was the groups. Everything began to settle with little more evidence to research and look.
Speaker 2: At, until until.
Speaker 1: Two new kitten videos were released. Ah this fucker, Like, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Same account or is it new accounts?
Speaker 1: Right? I don't even know that. Okay, yeah, I wasn't going to like, I didn't want to accidentally come acro He's nasty videos, honestly, and the rage I felt like learning about these videos, this is so strong. It was basically a year since the original kitten killing video was released, the one, and I'm going into some detail. The one video showed a man wearing a Sanda hat and placing a kitten on a bed, but on this particular bed was a python, so no explanation is really needed there. So you can imagine what.
Speaker 2: Happens with that one that it's not good. Still, at least it's kind of animal and animal, you know.
Speaker 1: It's well, that's like that would happen in nature.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I don't know, though I'm not happy about it, don't get me wrong, And that dude's still a fucking asshole for doing that.
Speaker 1: But okay, well the next this next one, I feel like, I don't know, it's just as worse as the other one. I don't know what's just worse. So the second one has a oh fucking duct taped to a broom handle. It shows the broom and cat hovering over a bathtub full of water.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: The cat is then submerged in the bath until the poor thing drowns.
Speaker 2: This fucking guy holy shit.
Speaker 1: Like, oh my gosh, I'm sweating. It's disgusting. The documentaries I watched. So besides the Netflix one, there's also a Fifth of State one. They showed clips of the videos, just little clips, and I was just like, oh my god, and I will just never be able to get the visual of the fear in the cat's eyes that was taped to the broom handle. Out of my mind, like it. It just was a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want to watch.
Speaker 1: You can't. You just don't. Don't even watch well, I mean the documentaries are really good, but just listen to them. Maybe listen, Yeah, just listen. He was back taunting everyone with these new videos, but this awoke the group with a vengeance and they were back at it trying to solve the mystery of who this asshole was. The new release of the videos also brought some attention from the press. The Sun in London, England ran a story called Catch the Sicko who fed a kitten to a python. From this, one of the journalists at the Sun gets anonymous message letting them know the person they're looking for is currently in London and where they were staying. So the journalist decides to go play pay a visit, pay him a visit and records his encounter. Luca obviously denies what the journalist is accusing him of killing kittens, saying he was framed like fuck off. Shortly after this encounter, the reporter would receive an email believed to be from Luca saying next time you hear from me, it will be in a movie I'm producing that will have some humans in it, not just pussies.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So some super alarming foreshadowing right now?
Speaker 2: They no kidding.
Speaker 1: The London police were notified but said it was outside their jurisdiction. Fuck, because like right there, I just feel like, could something else not have been done? Like that's like a threat to just like society.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is it not that's a threat to human life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to any human really.
Speaker 2: So out of your jurisdiction. Sure, okay maybe yeah, great, contact who's in that fucking area and whose problem it will be to deal with? Luca?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, because it could say it could have saved a life. So Luca then moves back to Canada and set I was in Montreal, as the online investigators would find out in early twenty twelve, which brings me to Luca's next video, which was posted in May twenty twelve, titled one Lunatic one ice pick fuck fuck, And the victim of this video was not a kitten, but a human like Luca had last promised. The victim was Julin, an international student in the engineering and computer science faculty at the corn Oh, how did we say that again? Concordia Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 1: He was last seen on May twenty fourth and failed to appear at work the next day. The video of his murder was posted on May twenty twenty fifth. The online investigators so like the people I can't remember, the beta people or whatever, found a Craigslist ad that Luca had posted looking for a sexy man, and it is believed that this is how Julin met Luca.
Speaker 2: Stay off Craigslist people. Craigslist's sketch was still even nothing. I think it is.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it probably is. The video shows Julian bound on a bed, initially alive and then lifeless. It shows someone repeatedly stabbing his body with an ice pick and then dismembering the body with a knife. Evidence of a sedative was in Julian Oh sorry, sedative city sedative Sorry, was in Julian's system and in a wine bottle later found. So the hope is that he didn't feel the incredible pain inflicted on him.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's would be the only silver lining there, I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Julian's remains would not be found until May twenty ninth, with his body being found in numerous stages. And this is like the part that I kind of knew about. So first that was found was his torso it was found in the back alley, and I believe Luca's apartment building by the janitor is found inside a lock suitcase with many puncture wounds to the body, but no head and all limbs had been removed. Fuck, like, that's discussed. So sick, but so discross. Initially, the police thought Luca was the deceased because as they searched the garbage bend next to where the suitcase was found, they came across paperwork with Luca's information on it, including his address. When they went to check the apartment, it was clear but smelled oddly clean. They needed to obtain a warrant to do a deep search of the apartment, and when they did, there was evidence of blood splatter being all over like you could frickin' imagine. Surveillance footage the night of the murder. Murder also saw Luca making dozens of trips down to the garbage in the middle of the night. He sure didn't hide it, well, Hey, no, like he didn't really at all.
Speaker 2: Then he went through a lot of trouble of hiding his online stuff, which is strange that he didn't do it when it came to the time of actual physical evidence. Sure he cleaned up great, but then he just dumped everything in the dumpster of his apartment building.
Speaker 1: I know, it doesn't really make any sense.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: So Julan's limbs were found in the garbage that neither of his hands, feet, are head were found, So just like just the limb, I don't even know. Yeah, you know what I'm saying. I'm not going to describe that anymore. But they would be found first, one being on May twenty ninth, which is the same day the suitcase was actually found, when a mysterious package arrived via mail to the headquarters of the Conservative Party in Ottawa. A receptionis opening the mail finding a severed foot.
Speaker 2: Fuck, why have I not heard of that?
Speaker 1: Have you not heard of that? No? Oh my gosh. He'd also taken a time to wrote to write a poem to go along with the foot. It says roses are red, violets are blue. Police will need dental file to identify you, bitch.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: My that's is one of those fucked up poems. I mean that you'll ever read it?
Speaker 2: Who is he exactly addressing?
Speaker 1: Just probably like investigators and shit? Right?
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know because like.
Speaker 1: You get this foot like, what are the police going to do? Like I don't, like they can't how can they can't identify someone from it?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah? But you it's very particular to one. Maybe I don't know, Maybe I'm just looking too deep into it, but it seems like it's sing singling someone out, especially considering bitch. Not you bitches need.
Speaker 1: Dental file to identify you. They're you being juilant?
Speaker 2: Okay, see, yeah, I thought it was like he's sending it to someone in particular, like someone of government or parliament or something like that.
Speaker 1: No, so this bringing the attention of the world to him. It being very obvious that Luca was not the victim but rather the suspect and officially being named as so on May thirtieth. Aside from what I've already mentioned above, they also saw surveillance footage of Luca at Canada posts dropping off the mysterious packages. It was more than one. They later had surveillance footage of Juln entering the apartment with Luca to never come out. Julian was not officially recognized as being the victim until June via detective searching through missing person reports. So now to touch on those mail packages, Luca also mailed a package to the Liberals and don't fuck with Cats. There's a news clip of Justin Trudeau, pre Prime minister, speaking of the incident, which I thought was interesting.
Speaker 2: How did he do?
Speaker 1: I actually think I might have skim him past that because.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember, because no one in Canada really fucking cares.
Speaker 1: We rude, We just hear a lot from him. Apparently it doesn't trigger anything in me anymore. So two packages were also mailed to two schools. Oh and this is funny that you even heard about it, because the schools, dude, were in Vancouver, BC.
Speaker 2: Why have I not heard it?
Speaker 1: I don't know I had heard it, That's the part I heard him, because that's some fucked up ship that he literally cut off hands and feet and fucking goes to the post office and mails the ship to places like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: It's kind of fucked up that I actually made it through the mail system and not being picked up or anything.
Speaker 1: Hey, I don't know, and I honestly have no idea why he mailed them to the schools in Vancouver, but like, can you just leave be c out of the ship And because I didn't know where else to put this to, Julian's head was found much later by a lake in a by a lake in a Montreal park. Fuck. So I mean at least that shit wasn't mailed, I guess, But also like, huh, are you just like running around Montreal with his head in the backpack? Like excuse me?
Speaker 2: So Julian's remains were all eventually found though, correct, Yeah that's good at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were, but in like I mean the suitcase, the dumpster for packages, and a park. Yeah that's scattered.
Speaker 2: Right, Well that is, that's sad, But I'm just at the very least he was all accounted for. Yeah, that to rest sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean if your loved ones, I can't if you never came across her hand, like that would be kind of shitty. So okay, so where was Luca. Well, after the murder, he boarded a plane and flew from Montreal to Paris.
Speaker 2: To Paris, Okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Like, let's murder someone then go to Paris.
Speaker 2: Well, he's running away from the country. It's probably thinking that, yeah, I just murder it's someone. I'm going to get away with it now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Dubbed the Butcher of Montreal, Luca was now the center of a global manhunt. Once arriving in Paris, his cell phone was traced to a hotel, but he had already left by the time the police arrived. He'd apparently also stayed two nights with a man that did not realize who he was letting in his home until he left. Oh shit, like lucky dude. Really, can you.
Speaker 2: Imagine the panic after you realize that. Yeah, the panic in relief all at the same time.
Speaker 1: It's like you could have been murdered, dude. Yeah, Like it wouldn't have been a far stretch. After Paris, Luca boarded a bus to head to Berlin. It would be be in Berlin that the man hunt would end good. On June fourth, acting on a tip from the public, Berlin police were able to track down and arrest Luca in an internet cafe. He initially pretended to be someone else, but finally only admitted who he was and he was apparently in there reading news articles.
Speaker 2: About himself figured figured.
Speaker 1: So like he got himself caught really because he couldn't friggin let it be. He needed to know what the fuck people were saying about him was going on and stuff, which is just it makes sense really. Luca was held in jail in Berlin until he arrived home to Canada via a military plane which I thought was whoa on June eighteenth to face his charges. He basically had to come home on like a military plane because there was just some issues, like he couldn't really go home on like a commercial flight, right, none of the airlines wanted to, yeah, to have that on them, and stuff like he was a dangerous dude. There was a preliminary hearing, but Luca's official trial didn't start until twenty fourteen. He elected to be tried by judge injury. He pleaded not guilty, admitting to the acts. Okay, so he puted not guilty, but he did admit to the acts of what he was accused for, but claimed not to be clemanly responsible due to mental illness.
Speaker 2: Oh it was all fuck.
Speaker 1: It was instructed to the jurors that Luca admitted to the acts he was being charged for, but it was their task to determine whether he committed them in a required state of mind. Just wait, you don't know anything yet. My opinion, you're so agitated.
Speaker 2: I am extremely agitated, because the mental state is always thrown as that last ditch effort in court to try and get away with whatever fucking crime you committed. And I think that is just the biggest fucking knife in the back for those who are suffering those sort of things and who are dealing with it, and who are and.
Speaker 1: Who don't go and kill kittens and humans.
Speaker 2: Yes, and who are living with it and with it properly and according to how life should fucking move on. But these guys are taking advantage of that situation. Also, Okay, yeah, sure I did it. I'm sorry. I wasn't in the right mind, bitch. Were you in the right mind when you fucking killed kat A, B, C, D, fucking D all the way through the alphabet? How about when you put out the ad on Craigslist. How about when you brought the guy back to your apartment. How about when you dismember the body and recorded it and then made the video and then uploaded it and then mailed all the fucking packages and then hid his head in the fucking park, and then you left the country and were caught fucking sitting in an internet cafe reading the articles all but yourself because you're just that fucking self involved. You got sorry, Yeah, how is that not? Oh I'm just king, like, that's not mental illness. That's that's definitely prolonged, which is not mental illness.
Speaker 1: I percent get what you're saying, but I also feel like to do acts like this, you have to have something going on. Oh yeah, right, like because I mean, like just a completely I mean but everyone has mental illnesses to a sense really like, no one is a mental sound I don't time.
Speaker 2: And I'm not saying he's not mentally ill. Clearly he is. There's already prediagnosis that is.
Speaker 1: But it can't be justification for what he's said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not justified if you were saying, you know, I had an episode of mental illness because I have this history. Okay, maybe you did have an episode of mental illness.
Speaker 1: This went on for too long.
Speaker 2: This is far too long for you could just claim it's a mental illness episode, because there is many times you could have turned yourself in You could have asked for help, you could have stopped yourself, you could have realized what was going on and deleted the videos or something like that or anything. But you just kept going and kept liking it. Yep. So, yeah, he's mentally ill, but you're guilty. It's not a crutch. Well then it's sorry. Very strong feelings on.
Speaker 1: That one reelings. After a twelve week trial and on the juror's eight day of deliberations, they would find Luca guilty of all five charges against him, good first degree murder, committing an indignity to a body, publishing obscene material, mailing obscene and indecent material, and harassment of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of parliament.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 1: He was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Uh so he can get parole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's not even super old. So I mean like, if he just served twenty five years, he could be Oh, which, I'm just like this, this guy cannot come out of jail. I would I think there would be petitions and stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't think he would reach parole. I don't think that.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I sure freaking hope not Okay. So there's a couple of things that I just want to like touch a bit more on, one being that I mean this this, you could dive so much deeper into this case like this, you could just really go down a rabbit hole here, because like the Netflix series is three wow long episodes or whatever, and there is controversy about those because could the police have done what the online investigators were doing and were they just like fueling his fire, which is a possibility, right, But then I.
Speaker 2: Already thought of that when I figured you'd talk on it.
Speaker 1: I don't know they were. They were finding out things too, but yeah, it's like, could police have been finding that out on their own when it's when it was keme time to this.
Speaker 2: So but when it boils down to it, you don't fuck with kittens or puppies on the internet.
Speaker 1: No, you really don't.
Speaker 2: You don't. You just don't don't fuck with cats, right.
Speaker 1: And then I wanted to touch a bit more. On julyn so, his friend speaks at the very end of the Don't Fuck With Kat's Netflix series and says it's really sad and not fair how everyone talks about Luca and doesn't remember his friend saying Luca didn't just kill Julyn, but also destroyed an entire family's hope. In the Chinese culture, it's always the sun that carries the responsibility for the care of the parents when they become older, and now that's gone, like his parents don't have that, Like, oh my goodness. Julian's parents traveled to Montreal after the Sun was murdered, where a candlelight vigil was held. They also traveled to to attend the trial, which I was like, that's really good. And finally, the university that Julian was attending created an award basically commemorating the life of Julin. And that's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: Dang, well, I really hope that Julen's family can move on some way.
Speaker 1: I mean, they'll never fully heal.
Speaker 2: And I hope Luca fucking rots and does not get parole and eventually in the end he fucking burns.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's absolutely disgusting what he's done. And like I said, I only knew about him mailing the packages. And it's funny because I was like type it in Luca Magnata and Google and then it comes up with this s Don't Fuck with Cats, and I was like, fuck, I've been annoying this Netflix series and now you're telling me that I have to go fucking watch that. No. But then and I like was like, do I want to do this? Case? Do I want to do it? And then yeah, I'm glad I did it.
Speaker 2: I learned a shit ton But who this was recommended by patrons right we're on Patreon, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it was, because member, I've had this list this honest on my I think it's been recommended. I know people recommended, but I've honestly had this on my list since I did the Barbie Can Killers.
Speaker 2: Right, No, I thought you were doing this one specifically off a Patreon list or something like that that day.
Speaker 1: I forgot about weeks.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's getting hard to keep track of all the recommendations we've had weet.
Speaker 1: We do actually get a lot of recommendations. I absolutely love it, and we do write them down, but we have too many that not saying that don't send them anywhere, but we just do have too many that we might not be getting to like all of them kind of thing.
Speaker 2: And even if we do get to them. It might be a while, yeah, but keep setting them.
Speaker 1: We always like have a wealth of topics, so it's not like we're like, oh, what should we do? Right? We always we have a list we can go to.
Speaker 2: We don't just have a list, we have a book.
Speaker 1: We have a book actually.
Speaker 2: But yeah, if you guys want to go join over on Patreon and see some behind the scenes stuff of the podcast, support us a little more and get all those extra little details and even extra episodes that come out month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we're gonna have to figure out what extra episode we're gonna put out this month on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah we are. I've got a couple of ideas. We'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we're on Instagram, Facebook, We have a website with pro YouTube.
Speaker 2: That we don't post you very often. You're going to get that.
Speaker 1: Coming to get some more videos this wonder. We're gonna we're gonna do some fun ship.
Speaker 2: We are lots in the pipe coming up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, thanks for listening, Thanks for sticking around and listening about this dude, Fuck him absolutely, and until next time, guys, stay wicked.