Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, hello, welcome back. Have you been what you've been up to?
Speaker 1: Not much really? Day of recording is my parents move day, which I thought would never come.
Speaker 2: But oh is that today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's finally here.
Speaker 2: I hope it's going okay for them.
Speaker 1: Seems to be stressful, but yeah, but they did get a team of professionals into to move them, so that's good and gently exactly squeeze me tightly whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, currently missing the school holidays.
Speaker 1: I am to be honest, but it's it swings aroundabouts because my job now is much less kind of draining for me because now working from home, which I wasn't able to do before obviously, Yeah, it's such a different kind of dynamic, and for me, I get very stressed sort of having to be around people a lot. It drains me a lot.
Speaker 2: So training the club yeah yeah, so being able.
Speaker 1: To be at home, it's like, you know, I might be actually working more, but it's better over all, I think.
Speaker 2: So. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice, Anything interesting to share from your end, No, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think so. No, a fun projector night at a film night in the garden at the weekend, which was nice, lovely, We've got Terassic Park.
Speaker 1: Oh good, sounds good. It's when your neighbors start thinking there are dinosaurs in the garden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're having a fighting match between because it was really quiet for all the speaking bits and loud for all the dinosaur actionally bit. Yeah, and like there was some owl in a tree nearby that was overtaking in me. Yeah, in the quiet bits at the beginning, it's like it's meant to be dinosaurs and owls are ruling this situation at the moment.
Speaker 1: Shall we tell listeners where our hair was last week?
Speaker 2: It was Devil Christmas? But what I think is really clever is that it's Steve that is the Devil of Christ. Masterfully done. The Devil of Christ Massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that well loved episode The Devil of Christ Mass. Very well done, thank you, masterfully done. In fact, it was a.
Speaker 2: Tricky one because I got to talk about it. I was like, to make this work. I've got to sell this twist is better than I think it is. Yeah. Oh oh no, we've got to pivot the twist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I listen that for another one this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our last one of this series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, will say do you get quite a few messages lately from listeners about the hairs and sort of you know, I can't, for the life of me find that one in this episode. Someone said they listened to one of the episodes three times to try and find the hair.
Speaker 2: Nice. Yeah, I'm g lovely for playing along. That's good.
Speaker 1: It is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, putting all this thought into what they do and no one actually gets awesome. This week we are back with Series six, Episode six, Last Night of the Proms Dawn and Mick. It's a long one. Dawn and Mick are hosting the annual Last Night at the Proms party as the perfect antidote to post Brexit Britain, with everyone expected to waive their union jack's and sing along to Land of Hope and Glory. We'll get back to that. But Down's sister Penny has seen a mysterious stranger lurking around the neighborhood, and her husband Brian isn't feeling particularly patriotic, and by the time the Fat Lady sings, everyone's lives will be changed forever.
Speaker 1: Yes, m.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting one this week. It is.
Speaker 1: It is interesting.
Speaker 2: I still don't quite know what I think about it. Hmmm. I'm very intrigued to see what I'm going to rate this at the end of this log.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, I think it's good and having watched it's one of those ones, like you know, having watched it twice as we do to prepare on the second run through, after having seen all the details, it's like there's more bits to it than you sort of realized. Initially.
Speaker 2: I thought, Yeah, it's a very confusing episode. There's a lot going on that doesn't seem to make any sense. It requires a quite a bit of homework, I feel afterwards to sort of, yea, understand what the hell was happening. Yeah, I got a bit of a vibe of they decided on the concept and then they improved it, like it just feels like they just sort of making it up a bit as they're going along.
Speaker 1: I know what you mean. I think maybe something that contributes to that is the fact that, similar in a way to the karaoke one, was that empty orchestra where you've got the music that kind of runs all the way through it. Yeah, and that kind of And again they decided they wanted to base it on the proms, and they wanted to have the actual proms playing the entire way through. Yeah, which means that you've got this soundtrack that is kind of set in stone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they had to write the episode around that and write all the dialogue to sort of match the peaks and troughs.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I was wondering, is it presumably it's the problems of the previous year?
Speaker 1: I looked it up. It's twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, what was this twenty one? So that filmed it in twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what's his name? The sun has a World Cup scarf on, which was twenty eighteen, so it fits with that as well.
Speaker 2: Oh so we set it in that, you're right? Okay? Yeah, fairt Yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, and the Brexit stuff would be a little bit more recent.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, very yeah, topical. M I mean, obviously it's set somewhere in the West Country. They think they will sound a bit bristly, Yeah, but it could be anywhere. Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I keep feeling that, Oh what's that? Penny sounds like she's off the archers a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we've got a whole host of delightful people.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no one is particularly nice, not at all, actually, for one reason or another. Who do we start with?
Speaker 1: I think Dawn is the kind of centerpiece of it.
Speaker 2: Probably she's a lovely piece of work, isn't she.
Speaker 1: She's awful, Yeah, absolutely perfectly caste.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sarah Parrish, she she plays that kind of hard like bitch like word. Yeah. So yeah, she's a bit scary, you know what I mean. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you just know from from her first appearance and her haircut and everything, she's clearly a Brexit lady. I don't know what it is, but it's so obvious.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Actually, she really reminds me of a couple of people that I know. That's the thing about this this kind of episode is that it is also relatable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just are types of people isn't it. There's so many, you know, all of these characters, which is worrying.
Speaker 1: So she's married to Mick, played by Steve, who is a bit of a Yeah yeah, I mean he's he's sort of jovial and you know, I feel like his heart's in the right place. He's just a bit of an idiot.
Speaker 2: He's the kind of person that is fine for the first ten minutes and then you quickly.
Speaker 1: Oh god, can you imagine evening? Fucking hell. Yeah. I was going to say, you know, the bit when he when he starts mimicking the accents of the Scottish and the Welsh. I was thinking, oh my god, is that what I sound like every time I do an impression. I don't think so, because I'm like, oh, it's really cringey, and I'm like, oh god, Steven's doing a voice again.
Speaker 2: I'm terrible accents, so I couldn't comment, but it sounds good to me.
Speaker 1: Also, the way he's dressed, like the Union flag, yes, waistcoat. He kind of he looks, you know, like the pearly king kind of thing. He reminded me of that look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like he's about to go and go for the vote. Counting as local.
Speaker 1: God yeah, MP thing for the Reform Party or whatever the BNP. Yeeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's horrible.
Speaker 1: It's a really cringey.
Speaker 2: I hate flag related costumes. Oh god, yes, they're never not incredibly tacky.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. I feel like he sort of knows it's taky, though, I feel like heah embraces it, true, but yeah, and I know what you mean. And just particularly English flags and UK flags, like they're.
Speaker 2: Just ugh, it's so sad because it is quite a cool flag.
Speaker 1: It is, but the way they've been hijacked.
Speaker 2: But they've just ruined it in the last sort of ten years.
Speaker 1: Where they've been Union hijacked. Yeah, that was terrible. Sorry. Yeah, And like, especially like in recent couple of years, is like when people paint those crosses on road signs and things. When I go down to Ben's family, like there's some on the road signs going down to where they live, and it's that fox sake, Like you think these things are happening somewhere in the country, but you don't think it's happening right now. You're going to see it, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought I got away with it in York because I thought York is quite a nice place. But then I drove over to the other side of York on one weekend and found out, Oh no, I'm just in a bit where they don't have them everywhere still like.
Speaker 1: That bit in the Lion King with like, oh that bit, that's the dark side of York.
Speaker 2: But you don't want Selby, we don't get to.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's really really uncomfortable and cringe, isn't it. All this flag stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's awful. Well that wanted to get too political or we can't not in this sort of situation. But like, it's sad for all of these people, the Brexity people to have made it feel bad, you feel guilty being proud of anything remotely related to your country anymore. Just kind of a.
Speaker 1: Shame because they've they've turned it into something else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've tagged on all sorts of things to that. Yes, so now you can't just you know, yeah, you know, if you wanted to put a flag up, I'm not that I'm saying I would, but if you wanted to, like you know, like in America they have flags on fucking everything. Like I'm not saying I want that, but if you did. Yeah, that then it also adds on all these other exactly thoughts to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't be seeing dead anywhere near an England flag. Yeah, but like you know, I'm not I'm not that I support football or care about football. But when it's like the World Cup and England's in it, people put out England flags and stuff. Like if I was going to do that, I would be like, oh, but then people are going to think I'm, yeah, you know, a racist.
Speaker 2: And everything else that goes on with it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was also thinking as well. Dawn, like, she's so the kind of person who goes on Facebook and like comments on things about oh it's all.
Speaker 2: Woke yep, and she'll have some tagline about how family is the best thing in the world. Yeah, screams at her family all the time, exactly.
Speaker 1: That's what I love about her characters. That it's that, I think we were discussing this the other day, just that thing of that sort of fake wholesomeness that people like embrace, this thing of oh, I'm so lovely. I've got these cross stitches that say bless this house, and everything's so charming and lovely. But actually I'm an evil piece of shit. Yes, and I'm full of hate.
Speaker 2: Yep, like ugh, exist just to be horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, pretty much. Yeah, that's her, and like she's one of those people, Like at the face of it, she does look like a nice person. And that's that's the scary thing that so many of these people do look like nice people. Yeah, and that's how they get away with it so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. Anyway, So Dawn's sister, Penny and her husband Brian, Yeah, there are Yeah that sad, Yeah, very unhappy.
Speaker 2: Poor Penny. She looks like she's just, you know, she's just wandering around. She didn't know where the hell she is half the time. She's just sort of in her own little world, polishing spones. What is going through her head other than the wind? Apparently there is nothing in between her ears. It seems.
Speaker 1: She's just Yeah, I guess she feels trapped in this, this marriage that she's not happy in. No, with a husband who is I mean, it's fairly canonically confirmed that he's gay in the closet, I see, so, or just that she thinks that, but no, I think there's enough evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's never explicitly confirmed, but I struggle to imagine it isn't correct. Yeah, it's not one of those would pretend we're making it out like it is and actually it's all completely explainable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is fine. You know, people can be married and have children and then discover that they're gay later on, then you know, deal with it.
Speaker 2: It must being possible. Obviously, no one wins in this situation.
Speaker 1: No, no, but you'd think, you know, you'd like if you were only you'd want your dad to be happy, and.
Speaker 2: You'd think that. But yeah, yeah, I knew a guy, like friend of a friend that was married with the wife kids, like three kids, I think. Yeah, they'd been like school sweethearts and everything, and then he realized that he was gay, apparently to the surprise of literally no one, like everyone assumed long before he did. He was the last person to work out him and his wife, but he eventually came out and she was the most supportive, like friend, and now they're both married to other men. They go on like family holidays, all of them together, and.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so lovely.
Speaker 2: It's so lovely. I mean, obviously that doesn't always work out like that, but it can.
Speaker 1: There is hope, yeah, but no, not in this case. No, there's a lot of resent.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I don't know what I think about Penny though, in terms of I find her odd, Like I don't know if it's just a choice of like the direction the actor has been given, but I feels like a lot of her lines feel really weird, Like she just says things too bluntly almost, and it just doesn't ring true to me in a way. I don't know what it is about it, but I just find something off.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you think of an example of a line, well, just.
Speaker 2: The way she'll say things directly to Brian, Yeah, being like I can't.
Speaker 1: Really specifically when she says to him about the gym, she says, you like the changing rooms or that realis and Harry bumholes. Yeah. Yeah, it's a bit of a bold thing to just come out with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just feels a little forced almost, Like I don't know whether it just doesn't feel as subtle as I'd want her to. But maybe it's just because she's been going through it that long that she's.
Speaker 1: Exactly Yeah, I think it's built and she's you know, drinking, and maybe everyone's just used to it because she's not having to be subtle, because Dawn and Mick probably know that she's always on about him being gay and that true.
Speaker 2: It's just this, you know, I mean this in joke.
Speaker 1: It's just got to that point now where you know.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows that that's what's going on, but no one's acknowledging it directly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe. So we've also got Ralph Penny and Dawn's father.
Speaker 2: Indeed, when you said Ralph, I'm like, is that the dog is a five year old kid's name the oldest Really you don't get adult Ralph's well.
Speaker 1: To be fair, he's usually just called daddy in this, isn't he so?
Speaker 2: True? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But yes, similar to when we talked about once removed, and you've got the Alzheimer's thing being sort of played for laughs. Yeah, slightly questionable, but it is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we don't know what's wrong with him specifically, like to talk about some medication that he's on. Oh yeah, like it could be anything. I guess we're not particular, just just doddery old man, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I guess I assume that's the that's the intention, that it's Alzheimer's, that the medications then making him probably but yeah, I mean, he's just there to be a plot device, really, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't get a lot more to do than make bake your laugh a couple of times and then move the plot along when you needed to. Did you notice the weird portrait of him. No, that's on the wall behind where reeseis sat, the sort of an archway into another room, and then there's a big portrait on the wall, a bit sort of mistrunch bull magnus sort of style on the wall, like with lampsy the side illuminating it. He looks serious and like I think the first time I watched this fully expecting that to be important.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, I don't think i'd noticed that.
Speaker 2: It makes no relevance of the story. No, but must have cost a fair bit to have commissioned like someone. I mean, I suppose he just put it through photoshop or whatever. You know, someone's had to go out of the way to create that prop. Yeah, it doesn't really add anything.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess it's I guess it's significant that he's the sort of patriarch of the house and all that. So hmmm, maybe it's just highlighting that. I suppose it's weird though.
Speaker 2: But when you notice it, it's really intimidating. Another start on a chair looking serious. Ye gave me a massive Matilda flashback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just a whole vibe this episode, isn't it. One of the phrase I've written down is obscene patriotism.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's that plus the whole the sort of chaos of you know, dawns always making sure that no one's glass is ever empty, orchestra blaring out sea shanties and yeah, it's just it's a whole thing, isn't It's a.
Speaker 2: Full on one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot going on, but equally not a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I should work the proms a little bit.
Speaker 2: Have you been.
Speaker 1: I've been to a few, mostly Doctor Who Wants. I've been to a couple of other more traditional ones as well. Yeah, it's quite it's quite a fun experience. I mean, the idea is it is like obviously bringing classical music, which is supposed to be you know, often considered quite eyebrow and stuffy, bringing it to the masses, as it were, making it more accessible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's an interesting sort of setting for the episode. You know, it's a good one. Because you've got Brian, who is sort of a music lover and a bit of a pretentious swat about it, Whereas then you've got Mick and Dawn, who are you know, They just are there for the vibes. They don't really you know, about the music, but they just you know, it's an excuse to wave a flag.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, any excuse. Yeah, I would like to go. I mean, I know I use this as an excuse to get hair and ages ago, but I didn't mean it. I would like to go to the last night of the Problem Von just to see what it's like.
Speaker 1: Just like a bucket list thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think live orchestral music.
Speaker 1: Oh it is. This is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's irrelevant what they're really playing. Yeah, I just love being around that's just yeah, it's amazing to see that that amount of talent.
Speaker 1: And Jerusalem as well. It's one of my favorite songs.
Speaker 2: It is lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's one of my mum's favorite songs as well. And it's just the tune. It's just so sort of stirring. But yeah, all these silly traditions that apparently they have with the everyone pretends to cry during this sad but I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know about that one.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know about that very weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have watched it a few times, but I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I guess if you've not got like a commentator or of explaining what's going on, you wouldn't maybe know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, David Dimblebee or something, Yeah, or David Attenborough. And here we have the prom goers pretending to cry in a strange ritual. So it's interesting. And again, like the karaoke one, you've got the thing of the music going all the way through it. Yeah, which makes another huge technical challenge.
Speaker 2: Well is it like in real time then when the episode starts, is that then the next twenty eight minutes of the proms?
Speaker 1: I assume so, because from what I heard recently saying, they said they didn't want to cheat it and have like dipping in and out of bits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's kind of what I assumed they did.
Speaker 1: They wanted it to just you know, run through so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I can just assumed there was cut between them going into the kitchen or whatever and come back in and be ten minutes later in the problems when it's a song they wanted.
Speaker 1: Maybe they did fudget slightly there, but certainly long, long bits of it are real time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: So we've got to mention. Actually, right at the start of the episode, you've got yusef who you see outside?
Speaker 2: What's he doing here?
Speaker 1: Hmm?
Speaker 2: I mean I still don't really know, not really giving any spiders earlier. I'm still clueless.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I guess it comes down to what you think, who you think he is. But yeah, but yeah, he comes.
Speaker 2: He doesn't know.
Speaker 1: I think Penny would have liked that.
Speaker 2: But non, lay.
Speaker 1: He lets himself into the conservatory, doesn't he.
Speaker 2: I think? No, Penny lets him in, doesn't she. Oh? Yes, he taps on the window and then just starts talking to him, rappiting on about nonsense. Hmm.
Speaker 1: Interesting, that, isn't it, because obviously complete strain. Mm hmm. What is he doing in a stranger's garden?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then she very openly just lets him in and starts chatting to him like she's she's clearly desperate for some sort of connection.
Speaker 2: Yeah, surely more has gone on before this than she must have seen him more than once or twice. It just it feels really odd to me.
Speaker 1: It is odd, isn't it? For me? I think it's just her desperation. I think it's just you know, I guess let's go for it.
Speaker 2: She's an odd cast.
Speaker 1: I don't understand he's weird, isn't she?
Speaker 2: Because obviously I'm skipping ahead of bit. But when they finished doing the next bit, she looks at him with kind of disgusted and walks off. Does she well, sort of looks at him a bit odd and then just leaves him there in the conservatory wherever they are. M And Okay, I don't get you, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's just for me. I think it's part of the way that everybody in that house treats him as, you know, something sub human. Know. She she doesn't have any qualms about basically assaulting him. Yeah, because she I don't know, she just doesn't see him as that would matter somehow.
Speaker 2: It's really sad.
Speaker 1: It's very sad awful.
Speaker 2: All he wants is to use the bathroom apparently, Yeah, effectively actually assaults him at this point exactly. I mean, I don't know exactly what's going on, but it's not good. Yeah, altitude of.
Speaker 1: The Sailors's gonna say all underscored by that getting.
Speaker 2: Faster and faster, such a jolly little cheer and doing that. Yeah, have words with yourself, Penny. Meanwhile, well, yeah, they're all in the other room in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brian starts to show his pedantry mm hmmm, which is quite entertaining.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm worried I'm going to become that pedant.
Speaker 1: No, because I was the the same. I was thinking, oh, this is so me.
Speaker 2: That kind of thing really bugs me. But I've not yet got to the age where i just blurt it out, like I hold it back for ninety percent of the time exactly. I'm worried when I'm in my fifties that that's what I'll be doing. Yeah. Yeah, because you've heard people say it wrong for the last whatever however many years, and you're just like, I can't hold this back.
Speaker 1: Anymore exactly, And when it's in that pressure cooker thing of you know, family that have brought these tensions as well, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he has a lot of wine. He always has always got to see some of a full glass of wine. Yeah, I don't. I know that I'm pedantic about things and I hate it. But equally, if I don't say anything, I feel like I'm condoning what Yeah, agreeing with what you're saying, I know what you mean, and telling you you're right when I know you're not. And it's really like.
Speaker 1: It's very tricky, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And my sister always tells me off about it, and I'm like, but I do it from almost a place of love in that I'm like, I don't want you going out and saying this rubbish to strangers laugh at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. That's true. It's also like, you know, I'm always been accused of like correcting, particularly by my partner Ben. He's always said, oh, you're always correcting me this and that. It's not that I'm saying, oh, you're wrong and I'm right, therefore I'm better than you. It's just the fact that if something is said that is wrong and I know it's wrong, I feel like I just need to have it be correct otherwise it doesn't feel right. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: So, yes, sorry to anyone I've corrected in the past, including you.
Speaker 2: Oh please do, please do, and vice versa. I mean, you never make any mistakes well exactly, but the one time you do, I will jump on it. You said starting to do maths in series one.
Speaker 1: The funny thing is we have this running joke that I can't do maths, and I cut out the original instance of that because I was embarrassed by it. It was one of our episodes. I gave us six out of nine, and then I made some comment about I'm not even gonna try and work out what that is as a percentage, and you were just like, well, sixty six percent actually, and I was like, of course it is, and I was so embarrassed that I've made such a stupid error. I was like, I just cut that, and then we kept referencing it like I can't do math. So so yeah, if you ever wondered about that, that's that was why you're AnyWho. Yeah, that's the thing about for someone like you and me, who we like things to be correct, that kind of character is quite satisfying, because yeah, we might not be like that ourselves, but it's quite satisfying to like watch him like live vicereously through him and like be like, yes, I wish I could do that. I know you're not supposed to like him as a character, but it's like, yeah, to say the thing you want to say tell them, you tell them it's Fantasia on bush Sea songs. Yeah, anyway, what else have we got? Ollie asks if he can have a drink.
Speaker 2: We haven't mentioned Olli yet, have we not? Really? No, so that's their son.
Speaker 1: Doesn't really want to be there. No, he's on his on his phone listening to music.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he doesn't really do a lot.
Speaker 1: Makes me wonder actually, you know he is he needed? What's he really there for?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I guess it's just to make the family seem more real. You had another generation for the family, don't you.
Speaker 1: And the awkwardness of the dad being gay makes it makes it a bit worse if there's a son involved.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe, And it's a it's a character to get drunk for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yes, that's true. And it's a nice contrast because he's, you know, he's the young generation versus these old twats Like yeah, I love that bit where he says about you know, he's doing music tech and Steve's characters like oh on the computers. Yeah, that's the future, isn't it. And he's like, well, actually no, it's the present.
Speaker 2: The way deliver us the lines about the little boxes or whatever, Yeah, like he's having a laugh himself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, he's apparently not old enough to drink, so.
Speaker 2: No, he assume that's why he's why he's not like to drink unless he's driving them home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that line from Dawn about when she's talking about the flags that have gone on in the proms and she says it's meant to be an English concert for English people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you get like a gentleman flashback?
Speaker 1: I did. I was thinking as I wrote it down, I was like, oh, an English concert for English people.
Speaker 2: I have no outsiders here.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite character is probably Mick, even though he's really irritating. Yeah, I think he does make me laugh.
Speaker 2: Also, if it weren't for Olie, we wouldn't get Mick being incredibly cringey doing old person pretending to be young, doing all the dabbing and the oh god, yeah, it's so cringey, but so funny and relatable.
Speaker 1: Bless him.
Speaker 2: So this is where all the we start to get all the Brexit talk. I love the line it's Lug's voting from Marshalt. Yeah, perfect, though, did you toe the line quite well? I think of not saying one side right or wrong? Yeah, I know it may be they show both sides to be wrong really.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, there's always all this thing of old the BBC's biased and all that. So I can imagine they were trying to avoid that hm, because you know, at the end of the day, you know it was, we all know how close it was, and you don't know half your audience might have voted one way or the other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I struggled to accept that, but I.
Speaker 2: Agree, I do you have a poll? But yeah, they show how both sides are awful people really.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, yeah, or can be.
Speaker 2: I can be. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also love how the dog was called Boris with the shaggy shaggy hair, and I'm like, is there a yeah? Was he called that for a reason?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because I was going to say this, I'm not. I didn't twig immediately. That's why. I probably was why because I saw in the credits there was such a long list of people. Now it's like there's not that many characters, and I added them all up and worked out that it was about right. And then I was like, oh, the dog is getting is in the credits, and I was thinking, like, I never understand why they take the name of a dog and give it a different name, Like, why not just call it its real name? Does it really matter? That's probably why they did it on this occasion at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can understand it when it's meant to be playing a dog from a book or whatever. But I like when it's just a dog in a thing, Why does it matter what it's called? Yeah, just give it its real name. I'm sure the dog had the whale over time. Probably yeahs and things. Yeah, although they no, they probably couldn't have sage rolls. They calt of onions?
Speaker 1: Can they dogst me? No?
Speaker 2: I think the poisonous to dogs.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: I think they are.
Speaker 1: I know chocolate is a bad thing, but yeah, I didn't have that.
Speaker 2: Onions pretty sure, all that kind of stuff, onions, garlic, all that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: To ask Ben he likes dogs.
Speaker 2: So when Penny just refers to Brian like point blank and calls him a hollowed out husk of a man, Oh, she's been suffering for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can believe that though, you know, when tensions run high and people say things, we've also had Ollie's drink that he asks, Oh, what is this mum, and she says, just mineral water. Yeah, and obviously, you know, we we sort of assume later there's there's alcohol there and blah blah blah and all the connotations of that in that first moment when she says, oh, it's just mineral water and then she looks away and he sort of does this look as if to say, oh, I don't think it is, and carries on drinking it. I interpreted that as that she'd slipped him something like on the slide, so that the father didn't have to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah I didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but obviously not No, I think, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I don't know if you meant to think that that, yeah, the mom has slipped him something. Maybe Yeah, it's like, well, if you have to, we all have to suffer through this. So exactly thats exactly how I interpreted it. I thought it was like, oh, you know, join the club, you gotta get drunk sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, so we've got the DNA test.
Speaker 2: Freddie at the gym printed out bum chum.
Speaker 1: He does the time of his little little comments is great.
Speaker 2: We said earlier, it's questionable about the old, but that joke is worth it.
Speaker 1: Yes, no filter. It's just like word association almost, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's mostly German.
Speaker 1: It gets so uncomfortable when the way that Reese's character is just delighting in it. Yeah, because he's supposed to be he's supposed to be the liberal one, but he's actually being he has been a dick, and he's you know, if he was really liberal, he would be saying to oh, you know, it doesn't matter, like what your makeup is or but he's almost delighting in the fact that knowing that she will hate the fact that she's not as British as she thought she was.
Speaker 2: True, however, like when you've been surrounded by that for so long and she'll ha been oh yeah talking about him, mate, that's true, holier than thou and all this sort of like aren't I amazing to then find a reason as to why you're not perfect, like by your own standard.
Speaker 1: But in her face, Yeah, I can understand that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he won't agree with it, but it doesn't mean that she won't like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can understand that because.
Speaker 2: We had a we had a guy at work that was quite similar in that way. Oh really, like he was super duper British and we me and a friend joked that we wanted to do on the twenty three and meter test to find out that he was like half French or whatever. That would have killed him, but we daren't do it. I'll suggest it in case it turned out he actually was one hundred percent British and we'd never live it down. Yeah, it's yet more fuel for him. Yeah, we didn't go to the lengths of pretending we were doing quizzes and counting teeth. Hey, you remember that time.
Speaker 1: We got a cheeky swab in there. But yeah, that's the really stupid thing about this whole British pride thing is that of all the countries, like Britain is such an amalgam of different different things anyway, So what does it even mean to be British? Like you go back at far enough, you're going to be from all over the place anyway.
Speaker 2: So people we've invaded, people have invaded us back and sex, Ok, yeah for literally centuries.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but yeah, you're sixty percent German. Fraulein Schmidt and when he goes really like and so you decided to play detective hair Muller returns for a minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll be checking the Lotus Biscoff in a minute and checking it in date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so this I find this a bit of a stretch because it turns out that her father is not really her father. Yeah, so that means that she's not going to inherit the house. Yeah, Like is that legitimate? Surely there's enough?
Speaker 2: I mean no, Like, yeah, maybe maybe you could have argued it if the father was a sound mind, and you could have played on his racism and got him to cut her out of the will. Yes, fine, yes, but presumably there will be a will already that says it goes to half and half and all this sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's irrelevant really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, no, Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 2: No, I can't believe someone with that bigger house and they're clearly a well to do family wouldn't have a will in place. The only reason that it would ever go to just them is if there wasn't a will and they'd had to you know, fight it out, and they could claim, you know, she's not family and all this sort of nonsense. Yeah, but yeah, I struggle to imagine that really would play out in real life. I love her so excited to claim that she was conceived on holiday in Western super mare of all places, and then to go from the banality of being conceived in Western supermer who was actually in the ski holiday in Bavaria or whatever. It's like, could you compare two different things?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, oli vomits mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Kid, Yeah, you got to pretend better than that.
Speaker 1: And use of appears mmm hood up looking especially Jesus like.
Speaker 2: And obviously no one else has seen him at this point, only Penny, so they're quite rightly sort of what who are you? Hi?
Speaker 1: Interesting that she just kind of him in and then just left him like yeah, to be in the.
Speaker 2: House, Like, what did she expect was going to happen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, very strange.
Speaker 2: Doesn't really add up for me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and this is where it gets really like, you know who. You thought that the racist people were Mick and Dawn, Yeah, and that Brian was a bit more liberal. Turns out he has a much more extreme reaction. Oh my god, it's a foreigner in our house a bomb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't really understand. Yeah, I know, it's whole The whole point is showing that, you know, just because you're liberal doesn't mean you can't be racist or whatever. Yeah, I don't really like what happens with Brian from here on. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 1: It's the hypocrisy, isn't it. He takes such a holier than our attitude the whole time of like, oh, you know, I'm more sophisticated, I know the right way to be in that, this and that. But when it boils down to it and the actual fear in the moment of this stranger being in the house, he has this deep sort of visceral reaction.
Speaker 2: And I mean, if anything mixed the most like hospitable, I mean, you know, he's treating him like a hedgehog, but at least he's offering him milk.
Speaker 1: And bread and like talking to him a bit more nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is funny though. Would you like some bread, bowl of milk or something it's not a head jug. Yeah. We also we've had the thing where the food has all sort of been eaten, but then they go back through and it's been replenished magically.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Ye house have been at work, and it's sort of Yeah. I mean, when you watch this for the first time, at what point did you start to think they're going down the Jesus route.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think I think it was when I think it was the bottle of water actually after this, yeah, like the next one being the water and thinking, oh, okay, yeah, we're doing some sort of potentially supernaturally situation. Mmm.
Speaker 1: It's because I like the way that they have this whole thing of oh, this food has all been eaten and now it's it's back. And then mixes do you think he could be from a.
Speaker 2: Card, which the accent only helps, but the.
Speaker 1: Way that, you know, the way that they're kind of leading, like if any audience is starting to suspect that maybe they're doing a Jesus thing, and then Mix starts to say it, and then and meanwhile Brian is also assaulting use of oh God, unto the guise of frisking.
Speaker 2: Him mm hmmm and not holding back.
Speaker 1: And right in front of his son, Brian, yeah dear, once again treating him.
Speaker 2: As yeah, it's not easy to watch that bit.
Speaker 1: Noah, he's actually a horrible man, isn't he.
Speaker 2: I said, they all are really in one way or another.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, I think that I was gonna say the penny drops with penny, but she realizes that she's denied him three times, and so suddenly she gets very biblical. Yeah, drop all that Sunday school hours, Yeah, coming in. Oh, I'm so sorry, my lord and all that.
Speaker 2: You know. All the while, like Ralse worked out as Jesus already and thinks he's coming to take him away. Yes, which reminds me of you know the podcast they recommended to you, Lateral where they ask like lateral thinking questions. Yeah, there was an example one they had where I can't be the exact question how they got through it, but the anecdote that was the answer was that there was a guy called Jesus working in a hospital and he decided to go by a pseudonym just because he was frightening too many old people when they'd hear on the intercom Jesus to the toward three.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, yes.
Speaker 2: Or Jesus will be with you soon or whatever. Yeah, because he was like a porter or something.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, quite amazing. Yeah, yes, so he gets works up into a right tizzy.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: And yeah, the garden fork that was handily brought in by Steve earlier because he was pretending to be Britannia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quite well done. Actually I didn't like they didn't feel obvious when that the Yeah, that.
Speaker 1: Was well done. That was well done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, subtle, subtle enough. Yeah, there was enough going on in that scene to distract you from it, exactly. Weird cloak in the head piece, Yes.
Speaker 1: As I like that bit when Brian's literally just gone through the whole it's rule comma Britannia, exclamation mark all that bit, and then Steve just comes in and he's like, Britannia rules the way. Just feel the pain if Brian, do.
Speaker 2: I have to teach you all again?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But yes, so stabby stabby, Ralph stabs you stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, several times, and then Brian joins in. Now this is the bit I don't understand. Yeah, why does Brian join in? I can't work that out.
Speaker 1: I think he's he's almost taken what Ralph's done as an excuse to start, you know, and he's he's you know, as we said, he had the most sort of visceral, probably the most sort of racist reaction to him and the fear.
Speaker 2: There's a difference between racism and actually wanting to kill someone, Like there's one thing to say that you want someone to not have rights or whatever, but to actually physically stab them in front of you.
Speaker 1: But it's the fear, isn't it. He thinks that it's an invader come into the house and heat that they're in danger. I think that's what he thinks.
Speaker 2: I could, I could maybe Eve understood it if Brian stabbed him first. But once he's been stabbed by Ralph, like shurely, he doesn't pose a threat at this point. Like, where's his justification for thinking he's in danger?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, it doesn't doesn't quite work, does it.
Speaker 2: This guy's bleeding out on the floor in front of you, hmm, Like he's clean, not about to hurt you or whatever or whatever whatever racist thoughts you're thinking about this guy. Yeah, if anything, surely that's the point when you go, oh shit, this is a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like that's when the racism surely melts away. If anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Whole we all bleed the same, all that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, like you'd.
Speaker 2: Think he would have, don't, because you can you can see a point where he goes, oh fuck base and grabs the knife off the mantelpiece or wherever it is. I just don't know what's going through his head at that point. No, And it's not like a point afterwards, whether he explains it or anything. No.
Speaker 1: The only thing is in the final scene where he says about self defense and we had to defend ourselves.
Speaker 2: But the dad had already done that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess, you know, it's such a hectic moment. I guess, I don't know. It is weird, isn't it. I guess it just feels to me a bit like, Okay, so Ralph's done this big stab, but Brian's will want to finish the job and make sure he's definitely definitely dead sort of thing.
Speaker 2: By stabbing him with something smaller.
Speaker 1: Clutching its straws here. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that. I don't agree that Brian might have done that. I just don't understand what's going through his head to make him about doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I haven't thought about it too much, but yeah, yeah, Jerusalem's blaring out at this point. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're clean up now with Jerusalem playing ruined their best flag. Oh god, it looked quite a good one. Actually, it didn't look like a tacky polyester thing.
Speaker 1: No, but yeah, I mean, how on the nose do you want to get as well about you know, this patriotism and the blood on its hands and all that.
Speaker 2: And yeah, plus it's the whole point of this is that he is Jesus cross. Well yeah, true, Actually I'm not even considered that, but oh god, I said the line. But more that isn't the whole point of the Jerusalem Song about Jesus coming to England. Yeah, to England and building a new Jerusalem here and all that kind of stuff. And Jesus does come in, the first thing to do is kill him.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah, it's all It's all connected. Yeah, yeah, there's so much you could say about that. But yeah, I was originally I was thinking more about like, this obsessive patriotism has caused so much bloodshed, so to have the sort of the flag soaked in blood has so sort of symbolic.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And what I find weird is that through all this disposing of the body and doing the major clean up and everything, the TV is still on, still playing the proms. You think you'd turn that off. If anything's going to make you turn it off, it would be this. Apparently not Yeah, so they don't want the silence. She's even cleaning blood off the TV and it's still playing the.
Speaker 2: We're not going to miss a bit.
Speaker 1: No, so a bit later then, mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Problems are finished. Were in silence at last?
Speaker 1: Yes, thank god. They say about they can't remember the last time the spare room has been used, and apparently it was last year when they had the argument about cream tease.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an argument I'll never understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ways to upset people from the West Country.
Speaker 2: I know, surely once you eat it, don't want it in your mouth and mushed about a bit, it doesn't make any difference anyhow, Very good point. Yeah, my argument isn't that one is right and what is wrong. It's neither matter.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, surely, it's just whichever is the more solid goes on first, because you can't rub a solid thing onto it. Don't even.
Speaker 1: I was wondering where that sentence was going. Yeah, but no they Yeah, they take it so seriously, don't they. Yeah, it's it's probably even more divisive than Brexit.
Speaker 2: But they start to explain about how these miracles could have happened. Yeah, I've had a bit odd that Dawn and Mick that lived there seem amazed by the food, but then can explain the food like later, So surely they'd have known all this food existed. Yeah, and she's just filling up bottles with water that apparently are half full of beer or something. Yeah, and doesn't seem to care. She's just like, I'll top this bottle up and give it to the kids. Yeah, it was a little convenient or not convenient, but like it didn't it wasn't as satisfying how these things could have happened that weren't Jesus.
Speaker 1: E Oh, I see what you mean. Yeah, I suppose you know, the fact that they are flimsy explanations goes towards it being that he really was Jesus. Yeah, because obviously it's supposed to be open ended. But yeah, for me, I think, yeah, the fact that those explanations don't really add up is a nice pointer.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you say it's open ended, but if it is open ended and it wasn't Jesus, yeah, it's Penny just gone insane at the end.
Speaker 1: Well, we only see it in the reflection in the window, don't we say, But.
Speaker 2: Presumably that's what she's seeing yeah, she.
Speaker 1: Could be hallucinating, yeah, or it could just it could just be a symbolic sort of you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So just to explain, Penny then sees quote unquote Jesus in his glowy hoodie in the window and gets a nice little cuddle. So is there an element of like she saw realized it was Jesus or she thinks it is and went along with it, whereas everyone else killed him and or covered up, like buried his body or whatever, and like she was the one that's like still in his good graces kind of thing maybe. Or is it that she's now died or something and he's come to take her away or what like. I don't know what's going on at the end of this.
Speaker 1: No, I think she because you know, as soon as she twigs that it might be Jesus, she gets very very sort of fervent and very sort of religious. And it feels like she's got a lot of like religious knowledge and so like Bible knowledge, and it's like maybe she is the most sort of you know, pious out of them all or something. I don't know. And I know she says some horrible things to Brian, but she probably is the nicest. That of all of them, I think the nicest.
Speaker 2: She's just the dippiest.
Speaker 1: Well I don't know, Yeah, who knows, to be honest, or she.
Speaker 2: Just had a mental break at this point, and no, she's just seeing Jesus.
Speaker 1: Yes she could have done. But yeah, but there's got to be there's gotta be a reason that they only show in the reflection that we don't see it directly.
Speaker 2: Maybe he's a vampire, he's a reverse vampire.
Speaker 1: So it is an interesting one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird. First first troup. So I've watched it three times today. First watch, I ended it by going, well, what the fuck was that? Okay, and was expecting to rank this very low, And then I've watched it more times and I'm enjoying it more each time I've watched it. It's still weird and it's not one of my favorites, but it's it's better than it was. Okay, I'll let you rank first. Then Okay, well I mean that seem too cruel.
Speaker 1: No, that's fine. What depends what you count as cruel, because yeah, I, as I said before, I sometimes you know, write down a little provisional score and then see if it changes, and I think I did write down a seven. Oh wow, but it's I think it's jumped down to a six okay for me.
Speaker 2: You see, this is a bit where it's how you judge it in terms of would I rather watch this than another one? Is that a fair way to compare two? Because for like, I'm just looking at this series. I enjoyed last week's more, but it feels cruel to rank it a three.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would much rather watched last week's Again, I thought objectively it was probably better well then in a way, But I don't know. I think I'm going to put it as a four, okay and tie it with last.
Speaker 1: Week, just a different kind of four. Yeah, that's fair. There's a lot going on in it, Yeah, possibly too much?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Would it have more interesting if it had just been the whole Brexity patriotism thing? Did we need Jesus there?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, interesting, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not said it in a little while. It is one I think would have benefited from being longer. M h. If it had been an hour and a half and you'd have had you'd have gotten to properly understand these people. You may be able to see things a bit better and might have been slightly more satisfying. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know where was the hair?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did you put it?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: Neither, Okay, I had to google. It's too many rooms and too much going on. It's on the window silled by the buffet table. Oh, okay, I think the window that she looks out and finds youse in first time. Okay, it's not very easy to see, and there's a lot of options where it.
Speaker 1: Could be fair enough, I gave up. Now, don't don't turn off as some people. Apparently. We've got a whole fun thing that we like to do at the end of a series. It's quiz time.
Speaker 2: Quiz time, right, So we'll have one question per episode. Feel free to play along at home and see how you do. We'll be starting with Wuthering Heist. So my question for you, Stephen is how much were the diamonds worth? Oh?
Speaker 1: I think I know, of course you fucking do. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I feel so bad, but I think I do know. I think is it? Is it? Twelve million pounds? It is?
Speaker 2: Hell? I was struggling on that one. There were so many other questions I could have gone with, and I was like, even I think these are crawl. I was like, what's the name of the coffee shop where they're going to steal?
Speaker 1: They wouldn't have got that that.
Speaker 2: What was it called? It had a pun name it has been or whatever, brew something I can't remember now, But yeah, nearly with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, your question for Weathering heighst is I'm sure you'll get this.
Speaker 2: I don't say that.
Speaker 1: What is revealed to be Colum Beaner's real name.
Speaker 2: Inspects Janis? Well someone janis Janis?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, detective sergeant. Actually, but yes, i'llargue you.
Speaker 2: That assume as the hell inspectors. I've given her too much power. Yeah, So Simon says, what Rotten Tomatoes scored? Did the finale of nine Circle receive?
Speaker 1: Oh, thirty three percent?
Speaker 2: Hello, yes, it's thirty thing thirty one?
Speaker 1: Okay, that was close.
Speaker 2: It wasn't it was?
Speaker 1: But no cigar?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? What food item is a key part of Spencer's breakfast rough team when he's writing great for it?
Speaker 2: Yes, so lip service? What is Iris's dad chat username?
Speaker 1: Oh? No, something really rude just pops into my It was more like a grinder username. I'm not going to say that. I don't know. It's something like bored Dad. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Pass tired Terry sixty six, Ah, tired Terry. Oh.
Speaker 1: I thought you'd know that one, Michael, And I know you fucking know you know this because you fucking mentioned it earlier in this episode. Yes, Michael, is what brand of biscuits? Does Muller have to check the.
Speaker 2: Lotus ones?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Correct? Hurry up and wait? What scene number is James appearing in.
Speaker 1: Twelve Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks Bollocks? Which Shakespearean TV series? Does James say he loved Adrian dunbar in? Oh?
Speaker 2: I remember him saying it. The only one that's jumping out. I'm certain is wrong, but I don't have anything else to say, So I'm going to say the Tempest, but I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: No, it was the Hollow Crown.
Speaker 2: Oh. I didn't even I didn't even know that was a Shakespeare.
Speaker 1: Well it's not. It's the Nest, the name of the TV series, but it combined several of Shakespeare's histories.
Speaker 2: Right, That's what was That's what was confusing me. I think I was no, no, no, it's not your fault. But I think I was thinking of a Shakespeare play and couldn't make any of them fit. How do you plead? What? Oh, you'll know this. What was Andrew Waite accused of? Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know it. Oh what was he accused of? I know he the false evidence of a photo of him at a party miles away? But what was he accused of doing? How specific do you have to be? Can I just say murder?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: What is it? Then? Well? I don't know is it is? It is?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it?
Speaker 1: Murder? Something? Murdering something somebody?
Speaker 2: I want? Yeah, I want it a little bit more specific. I'll let you off with not the exact but what is the mode of murder?
Speaker 1: Oh, the mode of murder?
Speaker 2: Like? How did how did this person? What did they do? I'll let you have that.
Speaker 1: Strangling somebody? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it strangled his mistress with a belt?
Speaker 1: Do I deserve that point?
Speaker 2: I'll let you decide whether you deserve it.
Speaker 1: Well, I've only got one point so far. They will say, yes, if we could do half points, I have half a point.
Speaker 2: For you.
Speaker 1: What nickname was Webster known by during his winning streak.
Speaker 2: I know half of it. It's the line of something. Okay, we don't guess, but I don't think it's right. It'll be something like the Lion of the Bailey or something that is exactly it.
Speaker 1: I was actually I was about to say, I'll let you have the Lion, because that's they call him the line at one point as well. But no, you've got it. You've got You've got the full one daily.
Speaker 2: Right last night of the problems, Where did Penny give you sift two pounds?
Speaker 1: The graveyard of Saint Peter's Church?
Speaker 2: No, okay, that was where she first met him outside farm Foods. Okay, damn well, I'm glad you've got two because I'm starting to feel like you're letting me win it the No, I wouldn't do.
Speaker 1: That, trust me. I would say your final question, but not that it matters now. But what is the real title of the British Airways music by delib.
Speaker 2: I don't fucking know. I genuinely haven't. I can't even get no, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's the flower duet?
Speaker 2: Wow wow, I actually won one.
Speaker 1: Congratulations. So the score was four to two, four to two to you, well done, thank you. I hope that didn't sound patronizing. I didn't mean it.
Speaker 2: But more importantly, we're twenty one to nineteen overall, are we?
Speaker 1: Oh damn? Oh, you're actually catching up?
Speaker 2: I am. That was what I was more concerned about overall.
Speaker 1: Because at the end of this whole thing, we want to see who the ultimate victory is. Well, bring on series seven. That's what I say. That was fun.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 1: I did shit today.
Speaker 2: It's a lot more fun when you win, isn't it. How did you do at home? Yes? I doesn't know. Are we too cruel to each other?
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think that's it. That's series six wrapped up.
Speaker 2: It is what percentage of the way through the series are we? Stephen?
Speaker 1: Oh, shut up? Sixty six point six recurring?
Speaker 2: Indeed, I almost pointed out that you've got it slightly wrong earlier, but I was holding back my pedantry.
Speaker 1: No, but I just quoted literally what you said at the time you said, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I was just so happy that you've got something wrong exactly.
Speaker 1: God were such nerds.
Speaker 2: AnyWho.
Speaker 1: So we'll be back in a couple of weeks or a few weeks or whatever for series seven. We will indeed starting with merrily merrily. Yeah, But until then, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: We never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or review wherever you get your podcasts. Mm hmm.