Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Liam Payne from One Direction has died. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This was very tragic for a number of reasons. One of them is just the way he went. Thirty one years old, fell or jumped, we don't know, off a third floor balcony at a hotel in Buenos Aires, plunged at it.
Speaker 3: Death is the way they put it, and they said, obviously he died from it.
Speaker 2: I remember they worded it weirdly.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it was because it was translated weird, but it was like aggressive internal injuries.
Speaker 1: There was a nine to one to one call that came from the hotel in the minutes before he fell to his death, saying, we've got somebody who is in their life is in danger because he's on drugs and alcohol and it's really bad and he's breaking everything in his room when he's conscious, and pictures from his room have come out and there's a bunch of drug paraphernalia.
Speaker 4: Looks like we did ask.
Speaker 1: Somebody to consult We consulted somebody that may have knowledge about drugs that we don't have knowledge about, and he said, yeah, that looks like heroin. And his body found with a bottle of whiskey as well.
Speaker 3: And there were questions about what he was doing, specifically in Argentina, that he was meeting up with one of the other former members of One directionil foreorign Yeah, to hash out some disagreement they had or something just awful.
Speaker 2: So again, he was just he was just thirty one.
Speaker 1: The sad thing too, is that I was going back and reading interviews he did twenty twenty one was the interview I was reading where he talked about his struggles with alcohol and drugs and that he would feel suicidal when he was nearing rock bottom, but that he didn't know where rock bottom was and it was terrifying, and that he went to rehab twice.
Speaker 4: And it's just very sad.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to try to find some happiness in swamp.
Speaker 5: Watch Swamp is horrible government man.
Speaker 2: To make us like a reality TV show. Corn was a bad bos, always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d c.
Speaker 4: Hey Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 2: I have a watch of Malarkey Boy.
Speaker 6: He said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 7: I said, oh, that's so he keepsh You.
Speaker 1: Know well, Vegas says the odds have gotten better for Donald Trump and worse for Kamala Harris just in this week, just in this calendar week, from the eleventh to the seventeenth, he has gone up. It looks like the fourteenth to the seventeenth saw a precipitous rise for Trump and a precipitous fall for Kamala Harris. The betting odds are sixty two percent.
Speaker 3: He wins sixty two point one percent to thirty seven point eight The watching the polls is more of a hobby than in a science now, because we're still nineteen days away from the election, so there's a lot that can change between now and then, and discussions of what an October surprise might look like, or even a hey, early November. There's a few days in November that they could sneak something in there that could completely blow up the race as we know it.
Speaker 2: But there's some.
Speaker 3: Fun numbers as you dig into it. I think one of the most interesting for me has been this discussion about who JD. Vance is and his likability ratings because going into the debate with Tim Walls, JD.
Speaker 2: Van's likability rating was pretty low.
Speaker 3: I think out of the four major candidates on these tickets, he had the lowest, But I think a lot of that was simply because people didn't know who he was. We saw the debate, a lot of people saw this guy as a well thought reasoned person, loves his wife, loves his family, talked lovingly about his mother despite her problems with addiction growing up, and he came across a lot better than an image of him that had been out there.
Speaker 2: But he still has some of the lowest.
Speaker 3: Numbers of those four candidates, Of all four of those people, I thought that's an interesting thing. Kamala Harris was on with Brett Beherr last night on Fox. We talked about it earlier in the show. You can go back and check out the podcast in terms of what our opinions were of it. One of the things that I thought that she did poorly was explain the differences between what she would do and what President Biden has done. And then Donald Trump also had a town hall with UNI Vision where he was asked to convince a former Trump voter to come back and vote for him again despite everything that's happened since the January sixth attack on the CAP.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris was on with Brett Barry yesterday.
Speaker 3: This was the misstep I thought that she made that could have been corrected.
Speaker 8: Let me be very clear, my presidency will not be a continuation of Joe Biden's presidency, and like every new president that comes in to office, I will bring my life experiences, my professional experiences, and fresh and new ideas. I represent a new generation of leadership.
Speaker 3: Now she's in between a rock and a hard place because she can't say she wants to turn the page, which she has said multiple times without then bringing in yeah, but Donald Trump was the president for a long time. She can't say I want to turn the page from the current administration because I'm a part of it and I've been in part of all of these discussions about policies that Joe Biden has put in place.
Speaker 2: She can't do that.
Speaker 3: The mis step that Donald Trump had last night was regarding a question from a voter. This was on the Univision town hall. Voter comes out and says, I voted for you. I was a registered Republican, but what you did on January sixth, and the number of former cabinet officials of yours that have come out and said they would never support you again. Convince me, convince me why should I vote for you?
Speaker 6: And also people in your administration who don't support you. I'm curious how people so close to you and your administration no longer want to support you. So why would I want to support you? If you would answer these questions for me, I would really appreciate it and give you the opportunity. You know, your own vice president doesn't want to support you, now.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 7: So the people that don't support a very small portion. We have a tremendous about ninety seven percent of the people in the administration support me. But because it's me, somebody doesn't support they get a little publicity. The vice president I disagree with him on what he did. I totally disagreed with him on what he did. Very importantly, you had hundreds of thousands of people come to Washington. They didn't come because of me. They came because of the election. They thought the election was a rigged election, and that's why they came. Some of those people went down to the Capitol, I said, peacefully and patriotically. Nothing done wrong at all, Nothing done wrong, and action was taken, strong action. Ashley Babbitt was killed. Nobody was killed. There were no guns down there. We didn't have guns. The others had guns, but we didn't have guns.
Speaker 3: And the others, I'm assuming he means the others being law enforcement and Capitol police that were there.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think he's just trying to gloss over the violence that ensued and saying that we went down there with the best of intentions.
Speaker 3: I mean, he the messaging. There's no way he can spend it positively. Yes, he says the peaceful and peacefully and patriotically. We played the speech, it was live on our show when it happened.
Speaker 1: I told you yesterday about Donald J. Trump, Donald Trump Junior, excuse me and him compiling this list with the transition team of people that are banned from serving in a second Trump administration, and one of the categories. There were people that are pissed off about the Capitol riot, like this is one of their things. The election was stolen, that was a peaceful protest. These are their their big hills that they're gonna die on.
Speaker 3: I Uh, that's a frustrating aspect of all of this. Uh, Former President Trump is expected to show up at the Sunday night football game Steelers Jets.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, who's Okay.
Speaker 3: Questions about where he'll sit, if he's going to sit with the Jets ownership or the Steelers ownership.
Speaker 1: Okay, what do you mean he's gonna he's gonna be a Steelers fan. It's Pennsylvania, that's that's listen. Politically, yeah, I would.
Speaker 4: Be surprised if he's wearing the I don't know, Mike Tomlins.
Speaker 3: I would I would give him more credence if he were Frank Oharris Jersey, that would be cool.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine that he'd score a lot of points.
Speaker 1: Like a Bettis Jersey. Compare himself to a bus through America? Lin Swan, Lyn Swan, I'm simple like that. Terry Bradshaw, Oh, that might be. That might be the move, or one or one of each of those. Don't say no change on each quarter, Ben Roethlisberger and don't go to the bathroom all game.
Speaker 3: Or Russell Wilson. Just to make it current, it's time for tech talk. The machines are getting smarter.
Speaker 5: This is tech Talk rought to you by Skynet.
Speaker 1: I just made a big mess in the kitchen microwave. My soup overflowed, so I had to clean the whole microwave. I think it was the first time that microwaves clean a walk. Mark Mark Seltzman joins us, and good afternoon to you, Mark.
Speaker 5: And hello to you, Good morning to you.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's two thirty six Eastern where I am. But yeah, I hope the you did a good cleaning job on the microwave. I like playing that game where you when you're when it's about to go off, you have to press like stop or reset just before it makes the beeps. Yeah, like that final split second. I don't know why I find that. I like that. Yeah, I want to stop it. I want to stop it when it's like thirty, like you know, point five seconds left. So yeah, yeah, not a big a weekend tech, not certainly as big as the news coming out of the East today and all that. But nonetheless Amazon did have an event to showcase new kindles. You know, these are still super popular and great this time of year because you're going to find sales leading up to the holidays people who like to read. So about four different new Kindles were unveiled, So if your listeners like to read as much as I do, then I'll give you sort of the skinny on them pun intended. So the new Kindle is only one hundred and ten bucks and it's only a couple of grams. I think it's like one hundred and fifty eight grams, so really small and light, twenty five percent brighter, twenty five percent faster page turns, same amount of storage sixteen gigabytes, which translates to literally thousands of books, and you get weeks of battery life. So that's the new they're simply calling it Kindle. It's the entry level model for one hundred and ten. If you want to upgrade to the Kindle paper White, which is a bit bigger at seven inches. Some people prefer to have a larger screen. Get this up to three months of battery life between charges. That is crazy, so unlike a tablet, which gives you hours of battery life, this is now in months. That's one sixty for the paper white, a larger, a little bit better display, also with twenty five percent faster page turns. The biggest news I think is the first color Kindle. It's I don't love the name. It's Kindle color Soft. I don't know, I don't know where, Like really, that's like I could have come out Okay.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a kid's drawing program from nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 5: I'm thinking maybe because if you've seen a color e reader before, like Cobo has a pair of them that came out earlier this year, it's not super vibrant. It's just the nature of the technology, the e ink, the anti glare technology that's meant to be read outdoors. It is color, and it's great not just for books and certainly kids books, but also for digital magazines and comic books. But it isn't vibrant, vibrant color. It's color, but just not super vibrant, you know what I mean. So that's maybe where they came up with that name Kindles Sorry color Soft, But nonetheless, for those who want color, you know, you will pay a bit more for it.
Speaker 2: It's too eighty but also waterproof.
Speaker 5: And you know, weeks and weeks of battery life and all the other benefits of you know, of a Kindle. And then the final one is called Kindle Scribe. It's their second generation, larger one for four hundred bucks. It's going to be available December fourth. This is for those who don't just want an e reader, but something for noteing, you know where they like to write, you know, students like this. They get a little stylist with it and you can write out notes or in a boardroom meeting and it digitizes your handwriting into text and all that. So that's what's new on the kindle front. So Amazon dot Com has more.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna ask, what's the difference between these? These are strictly readers. There's not a lot of other correct a TV that you can do with them.
Speaker 5: So if you're on the fence between a tablet and an e reader, yeah, it's pretty basic. E readers are are thinner, lighter, and usually not color and not glossy. They're meant to be read outdoors, and they're fully waterproof. You can bring them to the beach, to a pool side, or even slip into a bubble bath with them. They do often have a backlight, should you want one if you're in bed with your partner and you don't want to turn on like a big light. But it's that's all it is. It's an e reader. It doesn't have social media or email. In most cases, it doesn't have a web browser. It doesn't play games or have other apps like alarm, clocks or whatever you use for apps. So yeah, it doesn't help you navigate from point A to point B. It's just for reading. But as a result, they cost less less, they're lighter because you're gonna hold them for a while. Right, Some tablets, like some iPads, you know, they could be pretty heavy after a while, and you can't read outside easily on these things, and they're not waterproof. So it depends on really what you want. If you want a more versatile device that does a lot of things, then you would go with an iPad or an Android tablet instead.
Speaker 4: And then Mark, how do we get ready for Halloween technically?
Speaker 5: Well, I may be biased, but I believe tech can enhance anything you're into, and that includes getting ready for Halloween, which is of course coming up on the thirty first. So few ideas. Smart lights are a great way to take advantage of the holiday outside or inside your home. You know, whether it's voice activated lights, turn them all a certain color. There are you know, light strips that you can decorate your home with or inside have just just if you're entertaining. We're hosted a Halloween party on the twenty six, so we're going to have some smart lights beyond there you go, yeah, my mail, Yeah, that can't find newsroom the mail room. I mean it must be there's might be an issue there. So smart speakers. You can have scary music play or scary stories play on smart smart speakers. That's free. Sorry. Going back to lights, there's also smart candles, which are controlled either by your voice or with a little remote. You can get these really cheap on like you know Wish and Timu and you know Amazon. These are cheap candles that are safer because they're not really they're not really fire.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: Pumpkin cutouts. There are apps and websites where you can choose a design and print it out, put on overlay it on top of the pumpkin, and that way it helps you to carve a real pumpkin. Or one of the biggest trends of these apps these selfie pumpkin apps, where you can take a selfie of yourself and then it creates kind of like a you know, an outline version of your own face, and you can then make a pumpkin if you're really and you want a pumpkin with your own face. There's also a Trump one. I can make a joke about an orange face in there. But there's also a Trump app for carving pumpkins if you're a fan of Trump or you want to smash the pumpkin. Uh, you know, after November fourth, I guess you know. There's there's a few things you can do.
Speaker 4: Don't give anybody anymore anymore.
Speaker 2: That's great. Well, have fun without us at your Halloween party.
Speaker 3: Would you have born to Mark's Halloween whatever he wanted to, I would let him choose my costume. Costumes are mandatory at our parties.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, mm hmm, okay, all.
Speaker 5: Right, we'll chat. We'll chat off the air.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 5: I can imagine all the southern California people coming to Toronto.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, what's the temperature like?
Speaker 5: You don't want to know? Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 2: As a polar.
Speaker 5: Explorer, you'll need the layer of fur.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Thanks Mark always, guys, Thank you, Mark Saltzman. Make sure you follow Mark on Twitter, m arc Underscore Saltsman s A. Sa lt Z Saltsman on Twitter and x great place to get some of his regular tech Tips of the Day and also the tech it Out podcast available on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Firefighters have been sent to Walter Reed Middle School in Studio City on a report of possible overdoses involving fourteen students ages twelve to thirteen. So two of the students have been taken to hospitals for treatment. We have no other details.
Speaker 3: Commonly, we say kids don't do drugs these days, we don't know what's in them. Right now we have to say kids don't eat candy these days.
Speaker 2: We don't know what's in it.
Speaker 3: What I'm assuming somebody is passing around candies that are probably.
Speaker 4: Oh, I don't know, gummies.
Speaker 3: Candas, stummies, or summies. I see a quick clarification. Mark Saltzman was talking about those kindles, the new kindles, and one of them, he said, comes the entry level kindle that starts at about one hundred and ten bucks, is about one hundred and fifty eight grams. How many baseballs is one hundred and fifty eight grams in terms of weight conversion?
Speaker 4: I don't know grams really well, I.
Speaker 3: Didn't either, so I looked it up. One hundred and fifty eight grams is just about five and a half ounces. Okay, that's about one baseball. Yeah, I did not know. I couldn't wrap my head around the hunter.
Speaker 1: Crams is a Canadian thing. I think we can all agree just I think we can all agree on.
Speaker 2: All right, Just a quick note about something.
Speaker 3: An unknown guy was able to ride a bike past barricade set up by local law enforcement and the Secret Service as former President Trump was making appearance in the Brock of Bronx. He was bicycling past the barber shop and shouted the words Free Palestine while waving what appeared to be a Palestinian flag. He stops on the sidewalk and after a video, there's a video that shows him saying year after year after year, tired of this, s USA idf KKK, and then tries to set the flag on fire, but his lighter fails. He's approached by police officers, not tackled, not tackled, mind you, approached by police officers as he is questioned by bystanders about how he managed.
Speaker 2: To be able to get past the barricades.
Speaker 3: That is on the heels of an independent panel that looked into the July attempted assassination of former President Trump in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: This was a fifty two page report issued this morning that took the Secret Service to tasks for specific problems leading to that rally, as well as a deeper one within the agency's culture. They want to bring a new outside leadership and just kind of blow this thing up and just change the culture.
Speaker 4: Bring in Jim Harbaugh, No do something.
Speaker 1: They said that the Secret Service needs fundamental reform and that another Butler can and will happen again without major changes.
Speaker 3: This panel is made up of four former law enforcement officials from national and state government and follows the investigations we've already seen by members of Congress, by the Secret Service itself, by the Homeland Security Inspector General, and it talks about the previous reports that zeroed in on the failure to secure that specific building and rooftop near the rally where this guy had a clear line of sight to the former president while he was speaking, on top of the communication problems that hindered the ability of Secret Service and local and state law enforcement to talk to each other. Because again, I mean, we've talked about this dozens of times since then. They local law enforcement saw somebody, rallygoers saw somebody whether he had a rifle. Not or not different depends on which I witness you heard from. But nobody got the message to the people in the Secret Service who would have kept the president off the stage.
Speaker 1: They keyed in on something you and I have keyed on from go and that was the communication problems. The Secret Service had to switch radio channels because radio traffic of agents protecting Jill Biden at an event in Pittsburgh were popping up on the channels of agents covering the Butler rally. All of the law enforcement personnel on the ground, We're using a chaotic mixture patchwork really of radio, cell phone, text email throughout the day to communicate that email insane email. Panel said it was unclear who had ultimate command that day.
Speaker 3: They talked about the back and forth between the Trump security detail and Secret Service headquarters about how many people were needed to protect him. Panel also faulted some of the senior level staff who were involved in the rally for what they said was a lack of ownership. And the one example they gave of that lack of ownership, they said that a senior agent on site who was tasked with coordinating communications did not do a walkthrough, never walked the rally site ahead of time and did not brief the state police counterpart before the rally about how the communications were going to be managed. And again, part of it is just you do the same thing over and over and over and over. They've done dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of campaign events with no problems, so they get lulled into a false sense of security.
Speaker 4: Are you ready for your jeopardy question?
Speaker 2: Clearly?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Southern literature for four hundred dollars to kill a mockingbird?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the answer.
Speaker 1: The clue was inspired by the author's hometown of Monroeville, Maycombe, Alabama is the setting for it. This nineteen sixty classic. What Yeah, you got it without hearing the clue? Do you know why I got it?
Speaker 4: Because Southern literature?
Speaker 2: No, My wife was watching the movie last night.
Speaker 4: WHOA, that's weird.
Speaker 2: It's your favorite book.
Speaker 4: That's a great book.
Speaker 2: She reads it all the time, I mean every year, but she was watching the movie.
Speaker 4: That's what I do with ten little Indians every year?
Speaker 2: Can you say that?
Speaker 4: And then there were none every year.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear US live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.